PDA

View Full Version : M's utilityman McLemore out w/pulled groin muscle

Jersey Yankee
09-15-02, 04:40 PM
McLemore likely out for season with pulled groin (http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/story/5717857)

Sept. 15, 2002
SportsLine.com wire reports

OAKLAND, Calif. -- Seattle Mariners utilityman Mark McLemore is likely out for the rest of the season with a pulled right groin.

Seattle had 14 games left heading into Sunday's game against the Oakland Athletics. McLemore's injury is just one more disappointment for the struggling Mariners, whose current six-game losing streak is their longest in more than two years.

The 37-year-old McLemore made a diving catch of Ramon Hernandez's line drive in the seventh inning of Oakland's 1-0 win Saturday. He rolled to try to protect his tender right elbow and hurt his groin, then left in the eighth. It was McLemore's first game back after having elbow surgery Sept. 5.

"He's probably done for the year, or close to it," Mariners manager Lou Piniella said Sunday. "I told him yesterday I appreciated him being on the field."

McLemore, in his 14th season in the majors, said the injury will take time to heal -- probably the remainder of the season. He is receiving ice and heat treatment. It's the first groin injury of his career.

"It's sore, tight, painful," he said. "It doesn't allow me to do much. Unfortunately, it's part of the game. You never want it to happen, but it does."

McLemore was one of three Mariners who called a team meeting Friday in a last-ditch effort to get things turned around after the team was swept four games against Texas.

"That's why I tried to get back as quick as I could before," he said.

The switch-hitting McLemore has started at designated hitter, second base, third base, left field, center field and right field this season. He is hitting .270 with seven home runs and 41 RBI in 104 games.