PDA

View Full Version : Griffey should quit

Bernie51
06-24-02, 11:26 AM
Griffey should just quit baseball because he sure as hell ain't going nowhere with his injuries. I'm sick of hearing him either breaking a nail, breaking his foot, pulling a muscle, gettin tendonitis (sp?) every freagging time I watch baseball tonight. He should quit, that way he'll make the world a better place.

silverdsl
06-24-02, 12:20 PM
You may not like Griffey but saying the world would be a better place if he quit is extreme and uncalled for. Sure, he's had attitude problems in the past but what has he ever done to you? Personally I think it's a shame that a player with so much talent is having his career severely damaged by so many injuries.

-Deborah

effdamets
06-24-02, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by silverdsl
You may not like Griffey but saying the world would be a better place if he quit is extreme and uncalled for. Sure, he's had attitude problems in the past but what has he ever done to you? Personally I think it's a shame that a player with so much talent is having his career severely damaged by so many injuries.
-Deborah

I agree... However, that doesn't mean Griffey is not a big cry baby...

thecaptain
06-24-02, 12:44 PM
Ken Griffey Jr. OF CIN Signed Feb 2000 - 9 years/$116.5M
2000: $12.5M [$5.5M of 2000 salary deferred until 2009+]
2001: $12.5M [$6.5M from subsequent years deferred until 2009-2024]
2002: $12.5M
2003: $12.5M
2004: $12.5M
2005: $12.5M
2006: $12.5M
2007: $12.5M
2008: $12.5M
2009: Team option with $4.0M buyout

Hitman23
06-24-02, 12:50 PM
In a way I really feel bad for the guy. It's hard to feel bad for a guy making $12 million a year playing baseball, but I truly believe the guy wants to play, and play well. He is going to be one of those guys we talk about later in life that falls into the "would-have-been" category. Can you imagine where he'd be if he had been healthy for the past 3 years??

Bozidar
06-24-02, 12:56 PM
Well, the M's went 2 for 3 in their "Release the Stars" event. A-Rod would have wanted way too much, and Griffey is doing his best impersonation of a 1985 Buick Cavalier.

They'd have been super-dangerous if they'd kept Johnson, though :D :)

Bernie51
06-24-02, 12:58 PM
The guy makes money for doing nothing.

Ansky39
06-24-02, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by Bernie51
Griffey should just quit baseball because he sure as hell ain't going nowhere with his injuries. I'm sick of hearing him either breaking a nail, breaking his foot, pulling a muscle, gettin tendonitis (sp?) every freagging time I watch baseball tonight. He should quit, that way he'll make the world a better place.

"...freagging..."???

"...freagging..."???

what the frig is "...freagging..."??????

i can deal w/ the mispelled "...tendinitis...", that's a college word, but there's no friggin excuse to misspell friggin', none at all... http://www.smilies.org/basesmilies/naughty.gif

p.s. i kinda agree, the guy's been a complete bust ever since s.i. mistakenly called him the greatest player of the 90's and he signed that ludicrous "hometown discount" contract ta play w/ dear ole dad... who knows maybe it's roids catchin up to da kid, or just snake bit but seems to me he should either shut it down for a year and try lugo's stretchin regimen, or go to hollywood...there at least he'd earn his pay to act like a ball player...

Pilla
06-24-02, 02:06 PM
I could sense Griffey was disenchanted with the game when he first joined the Reds--especially at the All-Star Homerun competitions. Harold Reynolds or Mike Tirico would speak to him immediately after a round and his attitude was less than enthusiastic. You could see he could care less on giving the reporters anything more than what he had just offered during the competition.

Also, you have to remember this is a guy who attempted suicide when he was in the minors. The pressure of being Ken Griffey's son and the hype of his Major League arrival was much too daunting a task for him at that time. I believe it's more of a mental than a physical problem with him at this stage in his career.

yankeeholic
06-24-02, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by Bernie51
The guy makes money for doing nothing. ALbert Belle has him beat by a mile :eek: :eek:

cb2u
06-24-02, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by Pilla

Also, you have to remember this is a guy who attempted suicide when he was in the minors. The pressure of being Ken Griffey's son and the hype of his Major League arrival was much too daunting a task for him at that time. I believe it's more of a mental than a physical problem with him at this stage in this career.
I never knew he tried to commit suicide...that's really sad. I actually don't dislike him, I just feel bad for him. It seems that he couldn't handle the spotlight, and the press just really did a job on him. He would've been happy to just play ball & not have his every move be scrutinized and analyzed. Unfortunately though, a major league ballplayer of his caliber can't really hide unless the press lets him (like Bernie Williams for example, IMO). So they, and in turn the fans, just never let him be. And he didn't help his case along the way...

yankeeholic
06-24-02, 02:38 PM
Actually tendonitis was spelled correctly, freaggin is a cross between freak and friggin, so its freaggin :D

Ansky39
06-24-02, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by yankeeholic
Actually tendonitis was spelled correctly, freaggin is a cross between freak and friggin, so its freaggin :D
http://www.smilies.org/basesmilies/kopfpatsch.gif did i menshin i played alotta hooky durin colidge...

Jersey Yankee
06-24-02, 05:23 PM
I just checked and "tendonitis" is an accepted variation of "tendinitis" so it's OK.

As for the suicide, I hadn't realized this. I'm unsure if people attempting suicide are later on disturbed, including how they cope after seeking psychotherapy, but everyone's different. Barry also had a famous dad in Bobby, whose tall shadow he also had to crawl from. Everyone deals w/similar situations their own way.

As for this affecting his season, unsure. I don't think an attempted suicide would lead to any injuries. Perhaps Ken needs to go on the long-term DL (60-day DL?), then see what needs to be fixed in the long run. Perhaps he needs surgery or something but unsure.

If he's fixable and able to play, I wouldn't mind seeing him out there, given that he's fine physically.