PDA

View Full Version : D-Rays' Bierbrodt wounded in shooting

Bern51
06-07-02, 03:04 PM
Friday, June 7

Bierbrodt in serious but stable condition

http://espn.go.com/mlb/news/2002/0607/1392046.html

ESPN.com news services

CHARLESTON, S.C. -- Tampa Bay Devil Rays pitcher Nick Bierbrodt was listed in serious but stable condition after being shot early this morning, the team announced on Friday.

Bierbrodt, 24, was wounded while riding as a passenger in an automobile at a drive-thru restaurant. He suffered wounds to his right arm and chest. Devil Rays minor league pitcher John Vigue, a member of the Class-A Charleston RiverDogs, was also a passenger in the vehicle, but was unhurt. Further details are unavailable, but the Devil Rays will hold a news conference later this afternoon to address the incident.

"First and foremost on everyone's mind in the Devil Rays organization is the health and well-being of Nick Bierbrodt," general manager Chuck LaMar said. "Our thoughts and prayers are with Nick. We wish him a full and speedy recovery."

Bierbrodt, a left-hander who pitched with the Devil Rays last season, was optioned to Charleston on Wednesday and pitched that night.

Bierbrodt was expected to be part of the Devil Rays' rotation this season after going 3-4 with a 4.55 ERA in 11 starts with Tampa Bay last year after coming over from the Diamondbacks in a trade. However, in spring training he lost total command, walking 12 batters in 3 2/3 innings, and the team optioned him back to the minors.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yikes! :eek: Sounds like some sort of robbery attempt or something. I doubt anyone was trying to assassinate Nick Bierbrodt. Frightening, though! Hope he's okay! :(

Jim F.
06-07-02, 03:07 PM
Wow, that's rough. Buying fast food just isn't safe these days.

smr15
06-07-02, 03:09 PM
I think it happened when he asked for extra ketchup. :rolleyes:

Jim F.
06-07-02, 03:11 PM
"Hey, where are my fries."

smr15
06-07-02, 03:12 PM
"FRIES?? FRIES?? I got your fries ==== right here "
***BANG***

Carissa
06-07-02, 03:13 PM
Yikes!! :eek: When he pitched at the Trop, they had special priced "Beer and Braut nights". I hope he gets well soon!

Jim F.
06-07-02, 03:14 PM
Yes, I hope he gets well soon. I don't mean to make light of the situation. Okay, I do, but I still feel bad for him.

smr15
06-07-02, 03:17 PM
.... um.
Yeah, what Jim said.

Sascha
06-07-02, 03:19 PM
Sad but true, but that happens. I wonder how many people cared if he was a junky somewhere in the Bronx.

Get well soon Nick.

NYYFAN
06-07-02, 04:17 PM
And I thought they were called "DRIVE BYS" not "DRIVE THRUS" :scared:

iloveny
06-07-02, 05:07 PM
Well that is horrible! I hope that he gets well soon.

Carissa
06-07-02, 10:23 PM
Bierbrodt wounded in shooting
By Paul C. Smith / MLB.com
http://tampabay.devilrays.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/tb/news/tb_news.jsp?ymd=20020607&content_id=46156&vkey=news_tb&fext=.jsp

ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. -- Tampa Bay pitcher Nick Bierbrodt was shot two times in Charleston, S.C., early Friday morning. He is listed in stable condition in intensive care at the Medical University of South Carolina.

Bierbrodt, 24, was wounded in the right arm and chest while a passenger in a taxi at a drive-thru restaurant just after 3 a.m. Pitcher John Vigue, also a member of the Class A Charleston RiverDogs, was in the taxi along with an unidentified woman, but neither he nor the woman was harmed.

According to Charles Francis of the Charleston police department, the police report says the three were at an unspecified restaurant when a man on a bicycle rode by. Bierbrodt said something to the bicyclist, Francis said, the man responded and they had a heated discussion. The man then pulled out a small-caliber weapon and shot Bierbrodt twice.

According to a hospital spokesman, Bierbrodt had three entry wounds because one of the bullets went through his right arm into his chest. There is no surgery planned, the spokesman said.

"I hope he's OK, he's one of the nicest guys I know," said teammate Jason Conti, who was traded, along with Bierbrodt, to the Rays from Arizona last year for Albie Lopez and Mike DiFelice. "You hear something like that and it's beyond what you think can happen. I go through drive-thrus all the time. Who ever expects that to happen."

Conti, who played with Bierbrodt at three stops in the minors, said he hopes Bierbrodt can recover quickly and get back to playing baseball.

"If there was anything positive about it, at least it was his right arm," Conti said of Bierbrodt, a left-hander. "Hopefully, he'll be able to catch and throw as well as he could before."

Rays general manager Chuck LaMar told the team about Bierbrodt just before the players took the field for batting practice.

"First and foremost on everyone's mind in the Devil Rays organization is the health and well-being of Nick Bierbrodt," LaMar said. "Our thoughts and prayers are with Nick. We wish him a full and speedy recovery."

Bierbrodt pitched with the Devil Rays last season and went 3-4 with a 4.55 ERA in 11 starts. He was plagued with wildness this spring and was put on the disabled list to start the season. He had been playing at extended spring training for the past two months, was optioned to Charleston on Wednesday and pitched for the RiverDogs that night.

According to Charleston police, there have been no arrests in the case.

Paul C. Smith covers the Devil Rays for MLB.com and can be reached at paul.smith@mlb.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

-tz
06-07-02, 10:24 PM
I don't think it's nice to make jokes about something like this ... Suppose it had happened to one of the Yankees' players or prospects?

I was shocked to hear about it, and I hope he can recover fully and make it all the way back to the majors. At least he's a lefty, and it was his right arm.

-tz
06-15-02, 10:27 PM
I'm happy to be able to report that Bierbrodt has been released from the hospital.

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/news/mlb_news.jsp?ymd=20020615&content_id=53994&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp

06/15/2002 8:05 pm ET
Bierbrodt released from hospital
By Chuck Mulling / MLB.com

MIAMI -- Devils Rays minor league pitcher Nick Bierbrodt was released from a South Carolina hospital Saturday eight days after being shot by an unknown assailant.
Bierbrodt, who was in serious condition, was shot in the chest and right arm in the June 7 attack and spent more than a week at the Medical University of South Carolina in Charleston.

Bierbrodt will return home to Long Beach, Calif., to begin his recovery. He is expected to miss the rest of the season, but his wounds are not considered career-ending.

Bierbrodt will return to Tampa Bay in the next week to 10 days.

Bierbrodt was shot while sitting in the back seat of a taxi in the drive-through lane of a fast food retaurant at about 3 a.m. on June 7. The attack came two days after Bierbrodt was optioned to the Class-A Charleston RiverDogs.

According to witnesses, a man rode up on a bicycle next to the taxi. After an argument, the man shot Bierbrodt and sped away on a bicyle.

Bierbrodt, orginally drafted by the Diamondbacks, was dealt to the Devil Rays last July and went 3-4 with a 4.55 ERA in 11 starts.

wexy
06-15-02, 10:55 PM
I'm glad he's doing better. Reminds of me of the Lyman Bostock
tragedy from 1978.

The Q Bomb
06-16-02, 08:27 AM
My sister lives in Charleston and told me about this incident. It caught her attention not because it was a ballplayer but because it was a drive-by shooting by a bicyclist!

Carissa
09-03-02, 11:29 AM
Monday, September 2

Police: James, friend were innocent victims
http://espn.go.com/mlb/news/2002/0902/1426236.html
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Associated Press

RALEIGH, N.C. -- Durham Bulls pitcher Delvin James was wounded in the left shoulder early Monday in a shooting at a Raleigh restaurant.

Police said James and a friend, Monique McNellie, 23, were shot at about 3 a.m. at the Waffle House restaurant.

James was to be released from WakeMed Hospital later Monday, according to a statement by Rick Vaughn, public relations vice president for the Tampa Bay Devil Rays, parent of the Durham team.

McNellie was listed in critical condition with a back wound, according to an unidentified hospital spokesman.

Police said the shooting started during an argument between two groups at the restaurant. Two people left the restaurant and at least one of them fired into the building.

"We believe both victims were unintended victims," Raleigh police Lt. Chris Morgan said. "We don't find any indication they were involved in any altercation with anybody."

James, a right-hander, pitched in five games for the Devil Rays before being sent to the Bulls of the International League. He was 0-3 with a 6.46 ERA with the Devil Rays and was 2-1 with a 3.93 ERA with Durham.

DJeter1287
09-03-02, 11:59 AM
That is horrible. I hope both James and Nick get well soon!

Stick Michael
09-03-02, 12:15 PM
Forgive me if I sound like a conspiracy theorist but it would appear that this might be the organization's way of dealing with players that aren't meeting their expectations. Bierbrodt has a lousy spring training - he gets shot. James pitched poorly at the major league level - he gets shot. If I was Tanyon Sturtze (3-14, 5.06 ERA) I'd be looking over both shoulders and buy a bullet-proof vest...I say he gets capped before the end of the season! :D

James

smr15
09-03-02, 12:23 PM
I think I've located the problem, and there's a simple solution.

Get rid of the current Durham Bulls uniforms which feature a prominent "bulls-eyes" on the front and back of the shirt.

Bet that helps.
;)

PinstripePride
09-03-02, 03:00 PM
I wonder if he was trying to buy a beer and a bratwurst. :D

Carissa
09-03-02, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by PinstripePride
I wonder if he was trying to buy a beer and a bratwurst. :D That always cracked me up. Whenever he pitched last year, they had Beer and Brat night. :D

Sascha
09-03-02, 03:27 PM
:lol: I never thought about that "Beer and Bratwurst" for Bierbrodt... but funny... especially since "Bier" is the German spelling of "beer" and well, "Brot" is like "bread"... :eek:

Luvtino
09-03-02, 04:06 PM
Yikes!! I hope both feel better soon. Very sad. :(

And Stick...you crack me the hell up. I shouldn't be laughing, but I just can't help it. :lol:

Jim F.
09-03-02, 05:16 PM
Waffle House is by far my favorite restaurant in the country. They just don't have them up north :(.

-jim

coalcracker
09-03-02, 05:52 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Luvtino
Yikes!! I hope both feel better soon. Very sad. :(

And Stick...you crack me the hell up. I shouldn't be laughing, but I just can't help it. :lol: [/QUOTE

Stick is never at a loss for words, is he? Oh, gawd!!!!:ga-ga

Hazardous duty pay should be included in all Devil Ray's contracts .:

Slippery Elm
09-03-02, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by wexy
I'm glad he's doing better. Reminds of me of the Lyman Bostock
tragedy from 1978.

He's a lot luckier than Lyman was.

I thought of Donnie Moore.

Danmel
09-03-02, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by Jim F.
Waffle House is by far my favorite restaurant in the country. They just don't have them up north :(.

-jim

Do you like them smothered and covered or sliced and diced, Jim??Ahhh, the Waffle House. Beats the Pancake House in Kenley NC, where Neil and I ate when Melanie was 18 months old. It was like something out of Deliverance. I told Neil to use a stall in the bathroom and not a urinal, if you catch my drift!

derekjeter916
09-04-02, 02:40 PM
That's terrible! I hope he feels better soon!:( :eek:

Carissa
09-15-02, 05:18 PM
Miracle come true
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/clubhouse?team=tam

http://espn.go.com/media/mlb/2002/0914/photo/delvin_sp.jpg
James is lucky to be alive, let alone pitching.

Right-handed reliever Delvin James was on the mound Sept. 14 against the Blue Jays, just 12 days after being shot three times. James was hit twice in the left shoulder, and another bullet grazed his left elbow at a shooting at a Waffle House in Raleigh, N.C. "Just being out there again and knowing I had a chance to be out there again is a much greater feeling than anything I've ever experienced," said James, who allowed two runs on three hits in the eighth inning of the Devil Rays' 8-4 loss. "After being shot I didn't think there was much of a chance that I would pitch again this year, but miraculously my arm responded well and my body healed really fast."

BronxBaumer
09-15-02, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by Carissa
Miracle come true
Right-handed reliever Delvin James was on the mound Sept. 14 against the Blue Jays, just 12 days after being shot three times. James was hit twice in the left shoulder, and another bullet grazed his left elbow at a shooting at a Waffle House in Raleigh, N.C. "Just being out there again and knowing I had a chance to be out there again is a much greater feeling than anything I've ever experienced," said James, who allowed two runs on three hits in the eighth inning of the Devil Rays' 8-4 loss. "After being shot I didn't think there was much of a chance that I would pitch again this year, but miraculously my arm responded well and my body healed really fast."

Good for him. Now thats a trooper!

-tz
03-05-03, 06:47 PM
:) I'm glad to hear he's made a full recovery.

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/news/mlb_news.jsp?ymd=20030305&content_id=211041&vkey=spt2003news&fext=.jsp

03/05/2003 5:11 pm ET
Rays' Bierbrodt perfect in return
Lefty recovered from wildness, gun shot wounds
By Paul C. Smith / MLB.com

BRADENTON, Fla. -- Nick Bierbrodt still doesn't understand the fuss.
And, after Wednesday's perfect performance, he hopes he can become just another guy trying to make the team.

But the former No. 1 pick did develop a severe case of wildness last spring, was sent to the minors and got shot twice in the chest while there. And, when asked about his recovery, even Bierbrodt has to ask the questioner, "From which one?"

To Bierbrodt, they are two separate parts of his life.

First the wildness. He went into spring last season expecting to make the Rays' rotation and give them what general manager Chuck LaMar called, "Two of the best young left-handers [along with Joe Kennedy] in the league."

But one day early in spring, he simply couldn't find the plate. And it continued into his next appearance. He finished spring having pitched 3 2/3 innings. He faced 28 batters and allowed only one hit, but he walked 12, hit four batters and threw two wild pitches. His ERA was 27.00.

After that, he worked out in extended Spring Training for about two months trying to get his game back. The plan from there was to send him to Single-A Charleston and let him make two starts each at the three minor-league levels before returning to the Majors in, at the latest, September.

But after his first start in Charleston, he was sitting in a taxi with a couple of friends in line at a drive-thru at 3 a.m. and ended up getting shot twice by a young man riding a bicycle and carrying a boom box.

Doctors said he was lucky to be alive.

He rehabilitated from the gunshot wounds for two months and said he was recovered, except for the two bullets still in his liver, by the end of the year.

In January, he was able to pitch again again.

"I've felt good since the end of January, the first time I threw off the mound," Bierbrodt said. "The sigh of relief came then. Control was never an issue with me after I got shot. I thought [the control problem] was more of a physical thing."

The left-hander took his normal turns during February workouts, but Wednesday was his first time back on a mound in a game with another team in front of a live audience.

The results against the Pirates in Bradenton were as good as anyone could have expected. He threw 22 pitches, 12 for strikes, and did not allow a hit in his two innings of work.

"Now I think I have shown I'm throwing strikes just like anybody else," Bierbrodt said after the game. "It was my goal to be here. To me, [wildness] was not an issue. The only time I ever hear about it is when it's in the paper. It's no big deal to anyone because they have seen me throw and everything."

The Rays lost the game but the mention of Bierbrodt's name made manager Lou Piniella happy.

"The most important thing was that Bierbrodt threw the ball well," Piniella said. "His mound presence was very, very good. And he had a lively fastball."

Piniella says he doesn't know who is going to make the team but Bierbrodt is one who he'd like to see on the 12-man pitching staff.

"I'm actually counting on Nick to be one of our starters," Piniella said.

Piniella has watched Bierbrodt throw enough this spring not to expect a recurrence of what happened last year.

"To me it wasn't a big deal," Piniella said. "I expected him to come out relaxed and throw the ball well, and so did our pitching coach. And that's what he did."

Pitching coach Chris Bosio said he saw a lot of good things from Bierbrodt.

"He was changing speeds and hitting his spots," Bosio said. "And he didn't walk anybody. When he came out, he gave us a big smile."

Smiles come easily these days for Bierbrodt.

"I guess I'm like anybody who has been through a life-threatening experience," Bierbrodt said. "I just don't take things too seriously. I never really did. You could die of stress."

[i]Paul C. Smith is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

Bern Baby Be
03-05-03, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by Sascha
..I wonder how many people cared if he was a junky somewhere in the Bronx...

About the same amount of people who'd care if he were a bus driver in Charleston.

Bern Baby Be
03-05-03, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by Slippery Elm

He's a lot luckier than Lyman was.

I thought of Donnie Moore.

Slip, where have you been?!:)

Donnie Moore did it to himself.

The Q Bomb
03-05-03, 08:09 PM
My sister lives in Charleston and she is always telling me they have more stuff going on there than in New York. One day last summer she called me and left a message, "Now I've heard everything! We just had a bicycle drive by shooting!" Turns out it was Bierbrodt!

Gringaloca
03-05-03, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by Bern Baby Be

Slip, where have you been?!:)

In the "Witness Protection Program"....do not disturb, please...:lol:

Bern Baby Be
03-06-03, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by Gringaloca

In the "Witness Protection Program"....do not disturb, please...:lol:

:lol: