PDA

View Full Version : B-B.com HtH Weekly Newsletter - Week 4



Saxmania
04-28-02, 10:56 AM
Some quite unexpected results this week, with some of the biggest scoring discrepancies yet. One theory is that the accumulated injuries affecting lineups mean that more and more teams find key players unavailable for several days. Another theory is that I have no idea what’s going on. You decide.

The Mantle Division is currently the most powerful (12-6), while the Ruth Division is second (10-8) and the DiMaggio Division trails (6-14). Come on, Joe, get your act together.

Results

West Haven Yankees defeated German Gold Gloves by 370 - 260 points
Lords of Flatbush defeated Junior’s Bashers by 338 – 284 points
YankeesRule2002 lost to Italian Ice by 184 – 197 points
Cunning Linguists lost to Michigan Wolverines by 143 – 341 points
YRMbombers2002 lost to Buckeye Bombers by 263 – 283 points
FP Balloon Knots lost to Saxmania’s Swingers by 277 - 279 points
Bambino’s Ghost defeated Babe’s Piano Playaz by 288 – 174 points

Standings

Ruth Division

West Haven Yankees (4-0; 1309 points)
Lords of Flatbush (2-1; 808 points)
YankeesRule2002 (2-1; 759 points)
Cunning Linguists (2-2; 874 points)
YRMbombers2002 (0-4; 853 points)

DiMaggio Division

Michigan Wolverines (3-1; 1232 points)
Junior's Bashers (1-3; 1060 points)
Buckeye Bombers (1-3; 898 points)
Italian Ice (1-3; 880 points)
German Gold Gloves (0-4; 1035 points)

Mantle Division

Bambino's Ghost (4-0; 1118 points)
Saxmania's Swingers (3-1; 1093 points)
Babe's Piano Playaz (2-1; 800 points)
Bad News Bears (2-1; 768 points)
FP Balloon Knots (1-3; 1060 points)

Weekly Awards

Team of the Week – West Haven Yankees
Luckiest Team of the Week – Italian Ice (won with 197 points)
Unluckiest Team of the Week – Junior’s Bashers (lost with 284 points)
Matchup of the Week – FP Balloon Knots vs. Saxmania’s Swingers (2 points’ difference in the result)

League Leaders

Runs scored – Michigan Wolverines (134)
Homeruns – Saxmania’s Swingers (41)
Stolen Bases – Italian Ice (26)
Walks – Babe’s Piano Playaz (122)

Wins – West Haven Yankees (17)
Saves – Bambino’s Ghost (22)
Strikeouts – Michigan Wolverines (177)
Earned Runs* – German Gold Gloves (42)
*lowest in league

Match Reports

Yankees power past unlucky Gloves

The West Haven Yankees continued their confident advance through their opposition, again posting the highest weekly score in the league. 370 points was too much for the Gold Gloves, who have posted consistently good scores but have failed to pick up a win so far, doubtless related to the fact that three of their four opponents have posted over 290 points in response. The Yankees benefited, strangely, from the Braves’ players, racking up 3 triples from Rafael Furcal and 14 base hits from Chipper Jones. Tom Glavine continued the trend by notching two wins and allowing only one earned run in fourteen innings, while his rotation partner Roger Clemens also recorded a brace of victories. A complete game from Livian Hernandez rounded off a powerful pitching display from the current league leaders in points.

The Gold Gloves picked up four saves from their bullpen and three wins in the rotation, but were let down somewhat by their hitting. The lacklustre stats from Mike Piazza, Vinny Castilla, and Cliff Floyd are hurting the Gloves, and David Justice appears to have cooled down after a red-hot start, leaving the Gloves’ line-up temporarily short on power. An inter-division game against the Buckeye Bombers next week will present the German team with the opportunity to get off the mark.

Lords’ improvement too much for Bashers

235 points one week, 338 the next. The Lords of Flatbush transformed themselves from one of the lowest scorers in the league to one of the highest in the space of seven days, elevating themselves over a good Bashers performance. The Lords found clutch hitting from Paul Konerko, who drove in 11 runners over the course of the week, and Junior Spivey has not only scored 10 times since last week, but has also walked a team-high 5 times. Odalis Perez was the star of the pitching staff, with 2 wins and a complete game to his name, while the bullpen remained solid, picking up 4 saves. The Lords now play host to the Swingers in week 5, having moved up to second in the Ruth Division.

The Bashers illustrate the poor luck of the DiMaggio Division, having a team average of 265 but only 1 win to their credit. Solid all-around hitting and pitching was not enough to top the Lords, and the presence of complete game winner Paul Byrd on the bench will have been frustrating for the Basher’s owner. Although most of the Bashers rotation produced good outings – no-one allowed more than two earned runs all week – only two wins were forthcoming, plus one save from Tim Wakefield. However, the Bashers remain second in the division, and will look to reverse their luck in a division showdown against the Michigan Wolverines next week.

Two firsts as Rulers’ slump allows Ice to slide past

The Italian Ice recorded their first win of the season against YankeesRule2002, who found themselves losing their unbeaten record and dropping to third in the Ruth Division. John Smoltz was the hero for the Ice, reaching three saves for the week with no earned runs and while striking out five, and despite James Baldwin allowing 9 runs in 18 innings, his willingness to eat innings added up to points for the Ice. 4 doubles for Alfonso Soriano was the fulcrum of a lineup that demonstrated good patience, with 6 walks for Derek Jeter and 5 for Kenny Lofton.

The bye week clearly hurt the Rulers, who saw their points total drop from over 300 in week 2 to under 200 in week 4. Poor outings from Rick Helling and Brad Radke (despite Helling picking up 2 wins) damaged a competent pitching display, but the Rulers’ hitting sunk the team, with Ben Petrick and Gary Sheffield only playing 3 games between them. Eight double plays were hit into by the Rulers, and the team will be hoping that central players such as Sheffield and Corey Koskie improve next week against the competitive Balloon Knots.

Linguists tongue-tied by all-conquering Wolverines

Michigan cruised through week 4, on the back of no less than 13 home runs from their power-packed line-up, and a complete-game shutout from A.J. Burnett. The Wolverines have improved for the last three weeks, and show no signs of slowing, with astute pickups such as Peter Bergeron and John Olerud. The Montreal outfielder stole a team-high 4 bases this week, while Seattle’s 1st baseman was walked 7 times. Poor outings for Cory Lidle and Felix Rodriguez were masked by the otherwise-excellent pitching staff.

The Linguists have been beset by injuries, with no fewer than three starting pitchers (Mark Mulder, Jason Johnson, and Chris Carpenter) on the DL. Perhaps the Linguists need to stop signing pitchers with matching initials? Certainly, disappointing outings from Mike Mussina and Doug Davis damaged the Linguists’ points totals, with Davis allowing 12 runs in 11 innings of work. More production is required of Rondell White, Moises Alou, and Bernie Williams if the Linguists are to compete in a tough division. Their first chance will be next week against the Piano Playaz.

Battle of the Bombers – both are good, Buckeyes are better

The Buckeye Bombers powered their way past their YRM rivals, as their infield found eight home runs during the week, including three each from Jose Valentin and Miguel Tejada. Jason Tyner added contact hitting, with 10 singles, while Jeremy Giambi picked up 7 free passes. The pitching was high on quality but low on support, with a complete game from Tim Hudson not netting him a win, but solid outings from Kile and Sele compensated. The Bombers pick up their first mark in the wins column, and will have added confidence next week against the Gold Gloves.

The YRMbombers turned in a noticeable improvement from the last few weeks, but couldn’t find the additional 20 points to beat their hosts. Damian Miller’s hitting wasn’t backed up by an under-achieving line-up, and although the pitching staff found 2 wins in relief (both from Scott Sullivan), the offense couldn’t back up their pitchers. Still, if the Bombers continue in this vein, they will be a dangerous team, for they have improved week-on-week all through this season. Next week, the Ghosts will find out if they can keep it up.

Swingers squeak past Knots, recount demanded

The league saw its closest match-up yet this week, as only 2 points separated the Swingers and the FP Balloon Knots. The Swingers rode the hitting of Manny Ramirez and Richard Hidalgo to complement a pitching performance that emphasised quantity over quality – three starters had two outings, but only Rick Reed impressed. If young closer Eric Gagne falters, the Swingers may find their staff to be a liability rather than an asset.

The Balloon Knots were hurt by Kevin Millwood and J.D. Drew, neither of whom lived up to their billing, but otherwise were solid throughout the team, with Armando Benitez once again efficient. Despite trailing the Mantle Division, the Knots’ 265 point average would place them at least third in any other division, and they will see if their luck improves next week when they visit the slumping Rulers.

Ghosts glide past cursed Piano Playaz

The Bambino’s Ghosts efficiently won through against their distant cousins, the Babe’s Piano Playaz, finding the previously fearsome Playaz unable to meet their 300-point summit of the previous two weeks. A speedy outfield racked up the steals for the Ghosts, Johnny Damon and Preston Wilson the chief thieves, while Derek Lowe’s no-hitter inspired puns around the nation. More importantly, it anchored a great rotation for the Bambino, backed up by 5 saves from the strong bullpen.

The Playaz will be cursing their luck after missing out on 2 superb outings from Brett Tomko this week (he enters their line-up for week 5), while injury worries to Chan Ho Park and Barry Bonds eat away at the points they amassed in the first three weeks. Russ Ortiz’s outing was less than impressive, and Estaban Yan’s meltdown will not have helped. The Playaz will surely overcome this one-week fluke, and next week’s opponents, the Linguists, will have to be extra cunning to avoid a strong comeback from this powerful team.

Fixtures

Week 5 April 28th:

Bad News Bears v West Haven Yankees
Saxmania’s Swingers v Lords of Flatbush
FP Balloon Knots v YankeesRule2002
Babe’s Piano Playaz v Cunning Linguists
Bambino’s Ghost v YRMbombers2002
Buckeye Bombers v German Gold Gloves
Michigan Wolverines v Junior’s Bashers

Notes

I’ve had a win by 3 points and a win by 2 points, so if anyone wants to double-check my arithmetic, please do so. I’ve run it through a couple of times, but I could use a second opinion. Some of the personal stats may be off this week, because Yahoo doesn’t update when it says it does on the team pages, so apologies for any mistakes. The overall team stats are definitely for the whole week, though. Thanks to Coney again for the fill-in – I may need more help in the weeks to come.

Remember, there's an attached file with the complete listings of results so far.

Be seeing you,

Saxmania

YanksRockMan
04-28-02, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by Saxmania
The YRMbombers turned in a noticeable improvement from the last few weeks, but couldn’t find the additional 20 points to beat their hosts. Damian Miller’s hitting wasn’t backed up by an under-achieving line-up, and although the pitching staff found 2 wins in relief (both from Scott Sullivan), the offense couldn’t back up their pitchers. Still, if the Bombers continue in this vein, they will be a dangerous team, for they have improved week-on-week all through this season. Next week, the Ghosts will find out if they can keep it up.

I guess I would do well if I can actually have a good infield. My pitching is pretty good, but then my offense is :barf:. If I can get a good infield and upgrade my outfield, I should be in fine shape...

-pete

Bozidar
04-28-02, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by Saxmania
the presence of complete game winner Paul Byrd on the bench will have been frustrating for the Basher’s ownernot really.. I just picked him up

Sascha
04-28-02, 12:40 PM
Wow.... someone wants to trade... like A-Rod or RJ for my team ? At least I'd sell many jerseys then... I haven't had a really bad week, all weeks were good, but the others were better...

SanFrANSKY
04-28-02, 01:36 PM
$%@&*+ !!!

yankeesrule2000
04-28-02, 01:44 PM
idk what's going on with my team...i dropped down to 10th place, and this slump looks like there is no end in sight :(

SanFrANSKY
04-28-02, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by SanFrANSKY
$%@&*+ !!!

(Roughly translated "Gee I hope my suddenly-struggling team can pick it up next week, and boy howdy can those Ghosts play some baseball."

GM, Babe's Piano Playaz

YanksRockMan
04-28-02, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by SanFrANSKY


(Roughly translated "Gee I hope my suddenly-struggling team can pick it up next week, and boy howdy can those Ghosts play some baseball."

GM, Babe's Piano Playaz
Uh oh, I play the Ghosts next week...

Saxmania
04-28-02, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by Bozidar
not really.. I just picked him up

Yeah, my mistake. The team weekly summary doesn't tell you which players have just arrived, but lists all of their stats for last week, whether they were on the team during that time or not. I didn't check everyone that I commented on, which was sloppy. Another error - in the attached file, it says that the Knots have played 3 games, when they have in fact played 4. Apologies.

Be seeing you,

Saxmania

Coney36
04-28-02, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by Saxmania

Michigan cruised through week 4, on the back of no less than 13 home runs from their power-packed line-up, and a complete-game shutout from A.J. Burnett. The Wolverines have improved for the last three weeks, and show no signs of slowing, with astute pickups such as Peter Bergeron and John Olerud. The Montreal outfielder stole a team-high 4 bases this week, while Seattle 1st baseman was walked 7 times. Poor outings for Cory Lidle and Felix Rodriguez were masked by the otherwise-excellent pitching staff.


Not to nitpick or anything (okay, I guess I am :P), but the complete game shutout was Randy Johnson, not AJ Burnett, I'm pretty sure.

Thanks Sax! :)

Bozidar
04-28-02, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by SanFrANSKY
$%@&*+ !!! ditto!!

Saxmania
04-28-02, 07:08 PM
Originally posted by Coney36


Not to nitpick or anything (okay, I guess I am :P), but the complete game shutout was Randy Johnson, not AJ Burnett, I'm pretty sure.


Goddamn, but you're right. I suck. Apologies to the Big Unit, and that'll learn me to flick between week 3 and 4 pages at the same time.

Be seeing you,

Saxmania

Yanksagain
04-28-02, 11:11 PM
4-0 for the Ghost of Bambino. I didn't even start a 3rd baseman last week. Was away for the weekend and didn't get a chance to insert a player at 3rd. No worries.
Derek Lowe has come up huge for me. Along with Estes, Lieber and company. The closer combination of Mike Williams, Foulke and Graves have been racking up a ton of saves per week.
YRM is next. Bring it on.

Bozidar
04-28-02, 11:14 PM
Originally posted by Saxmania


Yeah, my mistake. The team weekly summary doesn't tell you which players have just arrived, but lists all of their stats for last week, whether they were on the team during that time or not. I didn't check everyone that I commented on, which was sloppy. Another error - in the attached file, it says that the Knots have played 3 games, when they have in fact played 4. Apologies.

Be seeing you,

Saxmania hey.. uhh.. don't suppose you'd want to put Erikson into my lineup this week, eh? :)

YanksRockMan
04-28-02, 11:53 PM
Originally posted by Yanksagain
4-0 for the Ghost of Bambino. I didn't even start a 3rd baseman last week. Was away for the weekend and didn't get a chance to insert a player at 3rd. No worries.
Derek Lowe has come up huge for me. Along with Estes, Lieber and company. The closer combination of Mike Williams, Foulke and Graves have been racking up a ton of saves per week.
YRM is next. Bring it on.
Hate to say this, but I have absolutely NO way I will beat you next week...I'm looking forward for my bye week, I think..

Ansky39
04-29-02, 10:48 AM
2-1 and headed for a clash w/ the commisoners brewers, er swingers...

after takin a dive the week before to the sorry ass linguists, (scored $50,000 thru my sports book w/ that unexpected upset loss), we regroup to bash the brains outta lil boz' junior groupies, despite the presence of sosa and gonzo in the middle of that lineup... yo boz, i beat you w/ aramis down at 3rd for the week.. just goes to show ya how much value mr ventura adds to your lineup... ;)

ugh this week i gotta face arod, manny, edmonds alfonzo and nevin... gonna be a tough one... yo sax, be prepared for some high heat...

Ansky39
04-29-02, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by Saxmania
Standings

Ruth Division

West Haven Yankees (4-0; 1309 points)
Lords of Flatbush (2-1; 808 points)
YankeesRule2002 (2-1; 759 points)
Cunning Linguists (2-2; 874 points)
YRMbombers2002 (0-4; 853 points)

DiMaggio Division

Michigan Wolverines (3-1; 1232 points)
Junior's Bashers (1-3; 1060 points)
Buckeye Bombers (1-3; 898 points)
Italian Ice (1-3; 880 points)
German Gold Gloves (0-4; 1035 points)

Mantle Division

Bambino's Ghost (4-0; 1118 points)
Saxmania's Swingers (3-1; 1093 points)
Babe's Piano Playaz (2-1; 800 points)
Bad News Bears (2-1; 768 points)
FP Balloon Knots (1-3; 1060 points)



yo commish, the dimaggio div is cake i say we contract the whole damn div and hold a dispersal draft immediately...

Coney36
04-29-02, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by Ansky39


yo commish, the dimaggio div is cake i say we contract the whole damn div and hold a dispersal draft immediately...

Hey!!! :lol: :D

Bozidar
04-29-02, 10:59 AM
I can't wait for a rematch..

I'm gonna make you my Jail Wife :)

SanFrANSKY
04-29-02, 02:55 PM
Heheh, when does Coney36 play annie? I wanna watch.

Coney36
04-29-02, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by SanFrANSKY
Heheh, when does Coney36 play annie? I wanna watch.

:lol: Didn't I already said that DiMaggio division sucked last week when we got wiped out by Mantle?

Saxmania
04-29-02, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by Ansky39
2-1 and headed for a clash w/ the commisoners brewers, er swingers...

ugh this week i gotta face arod, manny, edmonds alfonzo and nevin... gonna be a tough one... yo sax, be prepared for some high heat...

<splutters in indignation at the continued Selig gibes>

Ah, but you haven't mentioned my secret weapon of Carlos Pena! Bwahahahah, etc., etc. I'm off to cripple Curt Schilling, and bemoan the fact that after one day I'm already 50 points behind you. If you have any tears, beloved formers, prepare to shed them . . .

Be seeing you,

Saxmania

#1PaFan
04-29-02, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by Ansky39


after takin a dive the week before to the sorry ass linguists, (scored $50,000 thru my sports book w/ that unexpected upset loss

Man, what's up with A39?? First, he drafts a few Sux. NOW, he sounds like their fans??

:lol: :gulp:

Bozidar
04-29-02, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by #1PaFan
Man, what's up with A39?? First, he drafts a few Sux. NOW, he sounds like their fans??

:lol: :gulp: Low blow!

*applause* ;)

Ansky39
04-30-02, 08:53 AM
Originally posted by Saxmania


<splutters in indignation at the continued Selig gibes>

I'm off to cripple Curt Schilling,

yeah, i dare ya ta charge the mound, double dare ya even...

Ansky39
04-30-02, 09:06 AM
Originally posted by #1PaFan


Man, what's up with A39?? First, he drafts a few Sux. NOW, he sounds like their fans??

:lol: :gulp:

wha' i can't heeeaarr yyyooouuu... yo pa, how's the weather down there... need a rope bro'...

linguists suck, linguists suck, linguists suck...

this our year man, nomar is back and healthy, we got the best closer this side of mariano in ugueth, this is our year...

#1PaFan
04-30-02, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by Ansky39


wha' i can't heeeaarr yyyooouuu... yo pa, how's the weather down there... need a rope bro'...

linguists suck, linguists suck, linguists suck...

this our year man, nomar is back and healthy, we got the best closer this side of mariano in ugueth, this is our year...

LMFAO! :lol: Ya better make it a LONG, LONG rope! I'm waaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyy down in that hole.......

Saxmania
04-30-02, 08:20 PM
Originally posted by Ansky39


yeah, i dare ya ta charge the mound, double dare ya even...

Actually, screw that, I'm off to abduct him. Zito's given up 6 runs in an inning, Sparks is walking every batter in sight, and I generally suck.

Be seeing you,

Saxmania