PDA

View Full Version : Mora returns to Orioles after brother's murder

Carissa
04-25-02, 03:17 AM
Mora returns to Orioles after brother's murder :(
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/baseball/news/2002/04/24/orioles_mora_ap/

BALTIMORE (AP) -- A weary Melvin Mora returned to the Baltimore Orioles on Wednesday after attending the funeral of his older brother, who was murdered in Venezuela.

Mora said his brother, Jose, was shot twice by a hired gunman. According to Mora, his brother got into a fight, and one of the people involved in the altercation paid a man $300 to kill Jose.

"That doesn't surprise me too much about Venezuela. The life we have over there is crazy," Mora said. "I wish I had the power to fix that country, but I can't do it."

Mora left the Orioles on Sunday to return to his homeland, where he attended the funeral and burial.

"My mom, once she saw me, she felt better. She just wanted me to come back here (to Baltimore)," Mora said. "Everything's calmed down. I told her, 'Life keeps going. You can't look back.'"

Mora preferred to look ahead toward playing baseball again. He played in each of the Orioles' first 16 games before Sunday, batting .278 and stealing seven bases.

"I didn't sleep from Sunday to yesterday. It was hard; I was staying up all night," he said. "But now it's time to go back to business."

Eager to put the murder behind him, Mora told Orioles manager Mike Hargrove that he wanted to play Wednesday night against the Boston Red Sox. He started in center field and hit leadoff.

"It doesn't bother me to do my job, playing baseball," he said.

b-ball-lunachick
04-25-02, 04:58 AM
:( :( :( what a tragedy...I hadn't heard that before now...my thoughts and prayers are with the Mora family...the article didn't say how old he was, but I'm sure he was much too young to die...RIP :(

LilChief
04-27-02, 01:26 PM
How terribly sad....What a waste of human life. Condolances to his family...:(

# 21 Forever
04-27-02, 01:55 PM
What a horrible tragedy! My heart goes out to the Mora family! :(