PDA

View Full Version : Another question for you Jim...

YanksFan4ever
09-12-00, 09:17 PM
Sorry to keep bugging you Jim....

but how come sometimes when I try to refresh the forums, it shows the wrong date & time so I end up seeing the same threads I already read earlier in the day.

For example....it's Sept. 12th about 10:15pm but it will say Sept. 11th, 12:31am as the last time I was online in the forums when I really was online around 8pm.

Does any of that make sense?
Chris

Jim F.
09-12-00, 09:39 PM
8PM on the 11th or 12th?

Do you visit the boards from multiple computers?

Would someone else that uses your computer have logged on?

Details, I need details ;).

I urge people to post their problems here, that way we all learn about something. So ask away :).

-jim

YanksFan4ever
09-12-00, 10:25 PM
I visited 8pm on the 12th. But it was saying the last time I was here was 12:30am on the 12th.

Nobody else uses my computer & I only accessed the site from my own computer.

Hope that helps!!

YanksFan4ever
09-12-00, 10:29 PM
Now it says I visited on Sept. 11th at 12pm & that the time now is 12:31am on the 12th.

But if I refresh it again it will go to the right date & time.

This is driving me nuts :)

Jim F.
09-12-00, 11:05 PM
Are you connecting through AOL?

YanksFan4ever
09-12-00, 11:31 PM
Yes, but its never been a problem before. I've been visiting the forums since Feb.

Jim F.
09-12-00, 11:49 PM
Hrmm, not knowing your knowledge of these types of things, how can I describe this to you without sounding like the teacher from "Peanuts" ;) Just slap me if I'm going too slow or too fast :).

Okay, the way AOL works, is that they store versions of pages on huge computers (for our purposes, we'll call them "AOL Computers"), and many people from an area would access that very same stored page. This has benefits, and drawbacks. The benefits are that it speeds up browsing. The drawback is on sites like this that update constantly - somtimes AOL doesn't update the stored page unless someone tells them too. (hence you hitting "refresh" updates the page).

The reason this could be happening all of the sudden now, is because you are using a different "AOL Page Storing Computer" than you were before. You don't have any control over this, it is something that is done so that certain "AOL Traffic Directing Computers" don't get too busy. This new computer that you are being routed through may store pages longer, or not update them at all.

That's basically the best thing I can tell you. Patrick.o had a similar problem (but on the main page) - I told him to access http://www.bronx-bombers.com/?patrick_is_the_man, and it worked for him. Why don't you try accessing the forum via the following URL, and let me know how it works.

http://forums.bronx-bombers.com/?my_name_is_chris

That *should* work, let me know if it doesn't.

BTW, have you noticed any of those script errors recently? I haven't noticed them much at all today.

-jim

YanksFan4ever
09-13-00, 12:15 AM
Thanks for your help, Jim!!

And, NO...I haven't noticed any script errors today. Hopefully they are GONE!!! What a pain in the neck that is!!!