PDA

View Full Version : Fantasy Payments

Bozidar
02-20-02, 02:31 PM
Hello Boz,I don't mean to take up your time. just a quick question on how to pay my fee for the fantasy league. Should i just send a check? If I use paypal how will they know it is for the league?
Thanks for your time. I'm anxious to get playing!
Your friend,
Joe (joltinjo)

Joe -- see the Donations and Fundraising forum here. It will be a standard donation to BB.com.. nothing special, except perhaps a message in the donation saying what it's for.
http://forums.bronx-bombers.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=48

I'll get back to you shortly (within 2 days) on if you should send it in right awy, or hold off. I just want to talk to someone(s) first. Ok?

-- boz

Gator
02-20-02, 04:16 PM
Was wondering this myself. Probably should be before the draft, right? You don't want someone getting in the contest, drafting players, and then not being able to pay.

Bozidar
02-20-02, 04:58 PM
And i don't want someone to make a donation w/o getting into the league either :(

so we gotta pick the first one soon..

yankeesrule2000
02-20-02, 10:23 PM
Just let me know Brian, i can't wait to play :)

1TonHumanHamsterWheel
02-28-02, 09:53 PM
When do you want us to make our payments by? Is there a deadline approaching soon?

Bozidar
03-01-02, 07:33 AM
A.S.A.P. It's got to be done before the draft, i think. Ask the SaxMan.. i can't remember :)

Saxmania
03-01-02, 08:15 AM
In da house!

The best thing, I think, is if I give Boz the ID and password for the Yahoo.com league. When he receives confirmation that a person's paid, he can PM them with the login details, and that person can create their team on the website. When everyone's onboard, we start the draft.

If anyone has trouble paying, then contact Boz or JimF. soon, so that we can sort something out.

Be seeing you,

Saxmania

Bozidar
03-01-02, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by Bozidar
perhaps a message in the donation saying what it's for.
no more perhaps, make SURE you put a message in there designating what it is for. Thanks.

b-ball-lunachick
03-05-02, 02:05 PM
done...thanks! :)

Coney36
03-06-02, 12:22 PM
Just sent mine in. Thank u! :D

Luvtino
03-06-02, 03:36 PM
I will be sending it out on Saturday!! :)

Gator
03-06-02, 04:21 PM
Promise - it'll definitely be in by the end of the week.

Saxmania
03-06-02, 04:35 PM
Got mine done, plus a little something for Jim to buy himself a beer.

Be seeing you,

Saxmania

Ansky39
03-07-02, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by Saxmania
Got mine done, plus a little something for Jim to buy himself a beer.

Be seeing you,

Saxmania

me too, now where's my pm... ;)

Yanksagain
03-07-02, 03:51 PM
I've paid and I'm ready to battle!!!

Ryguy22984
03-07-02, 06:15 PM
Sent in my donation today so Jim should be getting on Saturday maybe Monday. Now all I gotta do is just wait for my PM right?

Saxmania
03-08-02, 03:51 AM
I'm not sure - we haven't yet set up a system so that Jim confirms to us when people have paid. I mentioned this to Boz a little while ago, but it may have got lost in the rush.

Be seeing you,

Saxmania

Bozidar
03-08-02, 10:08 AM
I've been told, by a little birdie, that I would get the info tonight :)

Saxmania
03-08-02, 10:19 AM
You know, if everyone's in a hurry to get started, we can just kick off on the boards right now. I'll run some random numbers to get a draft order. It won't be anywhere near as fast as a live draft, but we avoid the problems of getting everyone online at the same time, and give people more time to research their picks. We should probably get everyone signed onto Yahoo first, though.

Be seeing you,

Saxmania

Bozidar
03-08-02, 10:24 AM
I think that's a good idea.. get started right away!

Lets do the Yahoo thing now..

Ryguy22984
03-08-02, 06:43 PM
Wait we're doing the draft now? I think that's a little premature. Like I said before my suggestion is that we do it in a private draft room where we can determine the time so everyone can be there. The Yahoo Commissioner tools will let you switch the teams over to the website when we're done, you'll just have to plug in the information yourself.

Bozidar
03-08-02, 08:28 PM
Why is it too soon? We start now.. we'll get a few rounds done before our scheduled draft (whenever THAT's going to be), and if people can't make that night, at least they get the most important rounds done, before having their team pickec by computer

#1PaFan
03-08-02, 08:53 PM
Why is it too soon? We start now.. we'll get a few rounds done before our scheduled draft (whenever THAT's going to be), and if people can't make that night, at least they get the most important rounds done, before having their team pickec by computer

Hey, works for me, Boz. :) :gulp:

SanFrANSKY
03-08-02, 09:05 PM
.. we'll get a few rounds done before our scheduled draft and if people can't make that night, at least they get the most important rounds done, before having their team pickec by computer

OK, if I read that correctly you want to combine a few rounds of offline draft here with an online draft at Yahoo. You would paste in the picks from the first few rounds and then revert to an automated draft with prerankings?

Is this even possible?

#1PaFan
03-08-02, 09:51 PM
Originally posted by SanFrANSKY

OK, if I read that correctly you want to combine a few rounds of offline draft here with an online draft at Yahoo. You would paste in the picks from the first few rounds and then revert to an automated draft with prerankings?

Is this even possible?

Probably not! :) :gulp:

Bozidar
03-08-02, 10:07 PM
no.. we begin the draft now.. on a thread here. Sax can pick the order pretty quickly.

We schedule a date for the final draft.. meaning that it's got to be finished by that day. If we don't finish it here on the forum, then everyone who wants to finish their draft has to report to yahoo.com for a normal live draft -- those that can't make it will use yahoo's automatic picking system (if they even have one? i dunno)

I'm pretty sure, though not positive, that the commissioner can put in draft pics for people, so it shouldn't be a problem transcribing it from here to there. It worked for my brother, when he ran his football league on Commissioner.com.

Ryguy22984
03-09-02, 12:20 AM
This is all sounding pretty crazy to me. Also Boz, the most important rounds of the draft are usually middle to last rounds not beginning, that's where the good teams are made. I don't know why we just don't do it in a chat room all at one time.

Bozidar
03-09-02, 12:35 AM
Originally posted by Ryguy22984
This is all sounding pretty crazy to me. Also Boz, the most important rounds of the draft are usually middle to last rounds not beginning, that's where the good teams are made. I don't know why we just don't do it in a chat room all at one time. because finding time for 20 people, who live not only in multiple time zones, but multiple countries, can be challenging.

I'm trying to talk about a solution where we could all participate, w/o leaving people out because of availability. What i'm talking about isn't a radical new idea, we've talked about this since we started discussing the league itself.

Ryguy22984
03-09-02, 12:40 AM
Doing the first part of the drafts on the message boards, doing some on the Yahoo draft, and the people who missed out on the both finishing up their own draft at their own time is kinda new to me, and that's what I've gotten from you on your last couple of posts, if I read them right. If we do the chat room draft, we can organize this for everyone and get a good time for everyone.

Saxmania
03-09-02, 03:01 AM
Well, I'm going to be away (and probably v. drunk) over the weekend, so unless you guys are in a desperate hurry, let's get people on Yahoo.com over the weekend and then re-visit this on Monday. Boz has a point in that some of us aren't going to have an easy time of it trying to fit in to a chat-room schedule, so a more extended draft might make sense. I've seen several different leagues use bulletin boards for week-long drafting processes already, so it's not impossible.

I don't think that you can do the first few rounds manually and then automate the rest, but you certainly could do the first few rounds on the forums and then complete the rest in chat manually. However, let's see what other players have to say before we decide. Would other owners like to weigh in on this one?

Be seeing you,

Saxmania

SanFrANSKY
03-09-02, 12:33 PM
I don't think that you can do the first few rounds manually and then automate the rest, but you certainly could do the first few rounds on the forums and then complete the rest in chat manually.

I think that with so many participants, we need to do this online at Yahoo. It's the only way we can

1. Have an easy list to see which ballplayers are still available at any point in the draft.

2. Allow anyone who can't make the draft to prerank their players.

3. Have a draft that won't take hours and days to complete. This year Yahoo allows 90 seconds per team per pick.

My own Yahoo league is allowing us to prerank even though I haven't closed the league to new players yet. Anyone who joins the bb.com league from here on can prerank and be ready for Draft Day. I know some folks would love to run a draft from here, but it just isn't practical with 20 GMs with 20 different schedules. Like I said, I am willing to stretch my schedule to accommodate the bb.com draft. If I can't make it, at least I'll have my prerankings set and I can possibly make it to part if not all of the online draft.

Ryguy22984
03-09-02, 04:42 PM
I don't know if Yahoo will ever have a time to accomadate 20 people from around the globe, that's why we have to hammer out a time everyone can make it, and do the draft in a private chat room. I know we won't have a list but people will just have to print out cheat sheets or something. It's better than everyone having their team autodrafted.

Ryguy22984
03-09-02, 04:42 PM
Also, when am I going to get my private message? I sent in the money on Thursday.

Bozidar
03-09-02, 05:27 PM
Also, when am I going to get my private message? I sent in the money on Thursday. relax :) Jim's been busy..

SanFrANSKY
03-09-02, 05:59 PM
I know we won't have a list but people will just have to print out cheat sheets or something. It's better than everyone having their team autodrafted.

A cheat sheet of 500+ players as opposed to an autodraft where the list is already online and that will at least let people prerank and be done with it?

Not for nothing, but I'd really prefer to spend the draft carefully planning my next pick instead of frantically turning pages checking the availability of Nick Neugebauer!

Bozidar
03-09-02, 11:29 PM
If your name is not on the list below, and you HAVE sent in your donation, then please send Jim F. a personal message.

Some people may have not noted that their donation was for the fantasy league, and some people may have sent the paypal in from an email that is unknown to us. Whatever the situation, PM Jim, tell him the email address you used, and if you failed to mention that a donation was for Fantasy b-ball, please do so.

Thanks!

the list of paids:
Yanksagain
Ansky39
Saxmania
Coney36
b-ball-lunachick
Bozidar
www.majorleague.de
#1PaFan

That's it..

(uhh.. what's this PM stuff? I honestly don't remember :) )

Ryguy22984
03-09-02, 11:41 PM
I don't really understand what this paypal thing is, I sent in my donation through the mail. I also included a letter saying what is what for. I'll PM Jim anyways, though.

Bozidar
03-09-02, 11:44 PM
I don't really understand what this paypal thing is, I sent in my donation through the mail. I also included a letter saying what is what for. I'll PM Jim anyways, though. has there been enough time for him to recieve it?

Ryguy22984
03-09-02, 11:53 PM
Not sure, I sent it on Thursday. I live on Long Island so it should only take a day or two right?

pjyankees
03-10-02, 08:31 PM
I don't think that you can do the first few rounds manually and then automate the rest, but you certainly could do the first few rounds on the forums and then complete the rest in chat manually. However, let's see what other players have to say before we decide. Would other owners like to weigh in on this one?

Be seeing you,

Saxmania

I would prefer to at least start it on the message boards, since it will be difficult getting everybody together. At the very least, it will allow the completion of the draft to go quicker. 90 seconds a pick for 20 picks works out to a half an hour a round max. Over 20 + rounds that will be a lot of time. If we can cut out some of that time by spreading out the draft, I am all for it.

Yanksagain
03-11-02, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by pjyankees

I would prefer to at least start it on the message boards, since it will be difficult getting everybody together. At the very least, it will allow the completion of the draft to go quicker. 90 seconds a pick for 20 picks works out to a half an hour a round max. Over 20 + rounds that will be a lot of time. If we can cut out some of that time by spreading out the draft, I am all for it.

I disagree. The draft will take considerably longer on this board. Can you imagine how long it will take just to get 20 people in all different time zones organized to be on this board at the same time?
With Yahoo, you can pre-rank ALL of your players and there is a 90-second time limit on your picks. If you can't make the draft date, then you pre-rank all of your players. The computer will pick according to your rankings.
As far as drafting a few rounds on this BB and then turning it over to Yahoo.....it is possible. You'd get a couple of rounds drafted on this BB and then EVERYONE would have to pre-rank the players they have chosen on this BB as their top picks in the draft on Yahoo. Then Yahoo's computer would pick up the players you picked on this board first and then you could continue with the draft on Yahoo.
I wouldn't suggest this as the way to go. It's not that convenient, but it is possible if everyone really wants to do some of the draft on this board.
My choice is to do the draft on Yahoo from start to finish. From prior experience with fantasy drafts, it's impossible to get 20 people all over the world, on this board at the same time. As it stands we need to get this done quickly as I'm sure possible draft dates on Yahoo are VERY full.

Saxmania
03-12-02, 03:37 AM
I think the problem with setting up a live date and then allowing for pre-ranking is that it's a little unfair to those who can't make the draft (in this case, probably non-East-Coasters). Those present live will be able to adjust their picks for availability and competition, while I'm willing to place money that those who have auto-drafting will get less well-tailored teams. Apart from the obvious self-interest (;)), it doesn't seem very fair to start off with some owners having an inherent advantage in the draft.

I must admit, I also prefer not to tie ourselves into Yahoo's draft system unless necessary. If we're using a chat service and several people are dropping out constantly, we can agree to resume the next day or something - if we're on Yahoo, we'd just have to put up with it. Doing the manual draft gives us added flexibility. It also allows for people to draft minor leaguers, which is something we've been kicking around since the league was conceived.

It's a difficult one, and more discussion is welcomed. I don't think we should start until everyone has signed up to the Yahoo site, and as of 3/12, I'm still the only owner there. Has the password been circulated to those who have paid?

Be seeing you,

Saxmania

Yanksagain
03-12-02, 02:41 PM
I don't think we should start until everyone has signed up to the Yahoo site, and as of 3/12, I'm still the only owner there. Has the password been circulated to those who have paid?

I have not received anything in my PM box.

Bozidar
03-12-02, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by Yanksagain
I have not received anything in my PM box. Me either :)

sax - what's the password, and link? :)

Ryguy22984
03-12-02, 06:11 PM
I still don't now if my donation reached Jim. Also waiting for my PM, and I still endorse the private chat draft, it makes the most sense with this league.

Ansky39
03-13-02, 06:20 AM
Originally posted by Yanksagain

I have not received anything in my PM box.

ditto... que paso?

Saxmania
03-13-02, 06:34 AM
It's gone out to Boz (I thought I did so two weeks ago when I created the league, but apparently not). As soon as he find outs from Jim who's paid as of today, we can start nagging him properly. ;)

Be seeing you,

Saxmania

Bozidar
03-13-02, 08:36 AM
to the folx that I sent PMs to.. the password i sent you is somewhat in err.

do not capitalize the first letter, and it will work.

Saxmania
03-13-02, 08:41 AM
Good team name, Sascha!

So far:

German Gold Gloves (Team colors: Red cap, red bill)
Junior's Bashers (Team colors: Purple cap, grey bill)
Lords of Flatbush (Team colors: Red cap, red bill)
Michigan Wolverines (Team colors: Blue cap, yellow bill)
Saxmania's Swingers (Team colors: Blue cap, red bill)

Let's keep 'em coming! I was hoping to get everyone in the league before starting the draft, but I guess that may not be possible if a lot of owners haven't paid yet.

EDIT - You can choose your team cap color(s) when you register your team (and change it later, if you wish). I just thought I'd track that, since we don't have much else to include right now. If you want to take a unique color combo, you can (i.e. every team has different colors) but I doubt it matters very much.

Welcome, Coney and Boz! Wonder who's the CEO of the Lords of Flatbush? (I honestly have no way of knowing.)

Be seeing you,

Saxmania

Coney36
03-13-02, 11:01 AM
Okay, so my team's name is not terribly imaginative at all...:rolleyes:

Let's just hope my team does a whole lot better than the actual Michigan Wolverines' baseball team...:P

Bozidar
03-13-02, 11:09 AM
so far..

Junior's Bashers
Michigan Wolverines
Saxmania's Swingers
German Gold Gloves
Lords of Flatbush

:)

joltinjo
03-13-02, 07:03 PM
I sent a check to Jim via snail mail. I also added a note saying it was for the fantasy league. Hopefully it will get there this year sometime!

Ryguy22984
03-13-02, 09:09 PM
Same thing as me.

Saxmania
03-15-02, 03:36 AM
1 more owner signed up in the last two days. Come on, everyone, what's gotten into you?

Be seeing you,

Saxmania

Bozidar
03-17-02, 07:39 PM
1tonhumanhampsterwheel is also signed up now

1TonHumanHamsterWheel
03-17-02, 08:58 PM
Yep, signed up as the Buckeye Bombers. Can we have the draft soon, or do we need to wait for all the payments to come in?

Sascha
03-18-02, 02:10 AM
7 of 20.... 2 weeks till OD.... I really doubt we'll have 20 teams by then.... :(

Ansky39
03-18-02, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by wwwMAJORLEAGUEde
7 of 20.... 2 weeks till OD.... I really doubt we'll have 20 teams by then.... :(

word... :( hopefully we can get at least 10,12 for one decent league...

Bozidar
03-19-02, 05:25 PM
1tonhumanhampsterwheel is also signed up now BrianNYYanks is now signed up too :)