PDA

View Full Version : Jim?

patrick.o
07-31-00, 07:37 PM
I seem to have a problem lately when changing screens. It always occurs when i click on the links at the top of a thread, for instance after reading a thread I'll click on Yankees Discussion to get back to the thread title page, and I'll get the blue frame and sometimes the grey boxes the say profile, register, FAQ's, etc, but it takes quite a while before the actual page comes up. This has been happening for the last few days. I use a dial up service and thought it might be on my end, but I'll open other windows while I'm waiting, and things move fine. Any ideas?

JimF
07-31-00, 08:00 PM
Ah hah! Thanks for mentioning this!

This isn't a problem with your browser at all. There is something wrong with the server on this end. I noticed this the other day, but everybody seemed to think things were fine; see This Thread (http://forums.bronx-bombers.com/showthread.php?threadid=2098). I attributed everything to the whole rush on Napster - figuring that it was just network traffic, and it went away during the weekend. But since it has returned today, I am growing increasingly worried that there is something majorly wrong.

Somewhere there is something wrong - and I don't know what it is. The problem is that the server that this site resides on is a shared server - so there are other sites using the same resources. Therefore if several sites get a lot of traffic, it slows everyone down.

The other issue is that this is a database-driven forum, and the database resides on a totally different server that is shared by multiple shared servers. The result is slow execution of commands. Causing the pages to load slowly.

What I might recommend doing is clearing your browser's cache: Tools > Internet Options - On the "General" tab, select "Delete Files" from the "Temporay Internet Files" box. That should help a little bit.

Other than that, all I can say is that I apologize, and hopefully it will get better soon. I know that misery loves company, so if it helps you - I am experiencing the same exact thing. It makes browsing these boards very unpleasant :(.

I'll contact my hosting provider right away to see if they can provide any insight.

Sorry :(

-jim

PS: If anyone else has experienced this, please let me know!

JimF
07-31-00, 08:50 PM
Very interesting indeed - I've eliminated out the banner ads, and that seems to have helped things considerably. On some screens I have left them up (like the reply screen) and it loads slowly. On the pages without the ads it loads as quick as ever. I hate relying on other people to handle stuff like that. At any rate, I'll be leaving things as is until this gets resolved.

Thanks again for the heads up! :)

-jim