PDA

View Full Version : Other than the Babe, who was the greatest Yankee?

SkooterPhil#10
12-05-01, 06:59 PM
I say...Gehrig. Then Mantle, then DiMag even though he lost some of his prime to the war. Then last but not least, Whitey.

No complaints about who isn't in this poll. It's strictly for the Yankee Legends.

Michaels07
12-05-01, 07:50 PM
It`s the Yankee Clipper, he was my idol.The Great Iron Horse was on his way out by the time i Avidly followed the game.
Joe Di could do it all, Hit,Power, Arm, Great Defensively and excellent baserunner. I rate him 6 tool, because he was a smart ballplayer.
He was class, grace. A sheer picture of Baseball beauty at the plate
My First game at the Stadium, DiMag homered off Bob Feller. That sold me on the Great Yankee Clipper.:NY: :NY: :NY: :NY: :NY: :NY:

Gehrig
12-06-01, 12:03 PM
Ruth
Gehrig
DiMaggio
Mantle
Whitey

Gehrig
12-06-01, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by Michaels07
It`s the Yankee Clipper, he was my idol.The Great Iron Horse was on his way out by the time i Avidly followed the game.
Joe Di could do it all, Hit,Power, Arm, Great Defensively and excellent baserunner. I rate him 6 tool, because he was a smart ballplayer.
My First game at the Stadium, DiMag homered off Bob Feller. That sold me on the Great Yankee Clipper.:NY: :NY: :NY: :NY: :NY: :NY:

:eek:

I don't know why I never noticed this before...I just looked at your B'day...

You actually SAW Gehrig play ?!?

AND virtually every other Yankee great...Man...You are one lucky person!!!!

You have GOT TO write some articles here !!! Man I think I'm gonna start pickin your brain like there's no tomorrow ...

Sixty one
12-06-01, 08:14 PM
As much as I would like to say DiMaggio, who my father and his peers idolized, I would have to go with Gehrig because of his longevity and the tremendous offensive and defensive skills he possessed. Mickey, I feel would probably be ahead of both of them if he had taken the game more seriously and avoided injuries! However, I don't see how you could put Ford next on that list. How about Yogi and then Mattlingly?
:NY: :NY: :NY: :NY: :NY:

kgblues
12-06-01, 09:04 PM
Not even an discussion. The Iron Horse.

# 21 Forever
12-07-01, 06:53 AM
Hard to choose but I went with Joe D.

sanfranciscojetergirl
12-07-01, 09:20 AM
Originally posted by Michaels07

I also noticed your birthday, Clipper was one of my Favorties as well, the time I remember him was his Mr Coffee years. I have a great-uncle who worked at a hotel here in San Francisco and said that Joe was not the most nicest guys in his younger year but got nicer when he was older and out of baseball. When he died I was standing with other fans of Joe in a park in San Francisco's North Beach district right across from the church where his funeral was held . I think you should write some article as well you have some great story to share.

JeanC
12-07-01, 09:33 AM
Well my favorite would be Maris ! He was my greatest hero of the Yankees who ever lived ! Right behind would be Mantle!

I think I would list mine this way...

Maris
Mantle
Lezzari (for my dad who saw everyone of these players in his lifetime)
Gehrig
Ruth

:NY: :D :NY:

SkooterPhil#10
12-07-01, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by JeanC
Well my favorite would be Maris ! He was my greatest hero of the Yankees who ever lived ! Right behind would be Mantle!

I think I would list mine this way...

Maris
Mantle
Lezzari (for my dad who saw everyone of these players in his lifetime)
Gehrig
Ruth

:NY: :D :NY:

Well in that case, the Greatest Yankee besides the Babe is Phil Rizzuto!

Hmm...The poll is the "greatest", not favorite! oops...:p

jess2
12-07-01, 02:42 PM
I have to go with Gehrig.

StartSpreadin'TheNews
12-09-01, 03:57 PM
I'd say Dimaggio, he hit awesome and was a great fielder. But him and Mickey are neck and neck in my book

penguin4
12-09-01, 08:10 PM
Tough call between DiMaggio and Gehrig... can't definitively say who was the better ballplayer. But as far as "Greatness" goes, DiMag beats Gehrig by a stride. "Greatness" is about the mystique around you; the problem with Gehrig was that, even though his name conjures up the same sort of image as DiMaggio's, he spent the first half of his career in Ruth's shadow; Ruth finally moves on, and Gehrig barely gets a season before he's supplanted as the All-American Hero by that young Italian from San Francisco. And wouldn't you know, because of Gehrig's premature death, he never had the post-baseball career DiMaggio had to tout his horn. "Lou Gehrig" is a household name, for sure, but out of the Yanks' "Big Four" his is quite often the last one children and others learn of ... and then unfortunately for the disease that killed him.

DkNNy79
12-10-01, 03:46 PM
I'd go with DiMaggio...

DiMaggio5CF
12-10-01, 04:18 PM
Collogero: "[Mickey Mantle] he's the greatest ballplayer that ever lived, Dad."

Lorenzo: "Joe D.'s the greatest ballplayer."

Calogero: "The Yankee Clipper. 56-game hitting streak."

Lorenzo: "That's right."

Calogero: "Nobody beat that. Right, Dad?"

Lorenzo: "Nobody beat that, son. You know why Joe D. was so great?"

Calogero: "Because he was Italian?"

Lorenzo: "Well, that's part of it.

Calogero: "Then why?"

Lorenzo: "Because he had more talent than anybody."

Calogero: "Talent?"

Lorenzo: "That's right."

-- Lorenzo and Calogero Anello, father and son, A Bronx Tale

-----------------------------

"The Yankees cannot lose . . . Have faith in the Yankees, my son. Think of the great DiMaggio."

-- Santiago, the fisherman in Ernest Hemingway's The Old Man and the Sea

------------------------------

Joe D.

The Yankee Clipper

Joltin' Joe

Joe DiMaggio was the greatest.

Yankeeman81
12-12-01, 11:02 PM
Not taking anything ayway from these players but I would have to choose #4 the Iron Horse. Anyone who can play 2130 consecutive games is the second best Yankee. His numbers though were underlooked since he also had to play with Ruth and Ruth hittng all those Homers.:NY: :NY: :NY:

Jersey Yankee
12-15-01, 02:51 PM
I voted for Mick incorrectly but on further thought, I figure:

Iron Horse
Joltin' Joe DiMaggio (I can sing that all night)
Mick
Whitey

Gehrig not only because of his greatness, but he protected Ruth, which makes him #1 on my list. That and he was humbly the Luckiest Man Alive.

bagger015
12-15-01, 03:01 PM
:NY: Gehrig but ya left one out "The Captain" :NY:

NYYRules#1
12-19-01, 08:16 PM
DiMaggio. Just edged out Mantle.

PinstripePride
12-27-01, 06:37 PM
Joltin' Joe