PDA

View Full Version : 1978 Yankees

paisano
11-12-01, 07:55 AM
I think because we've just experienced what I believe to be the most painful Yankee loss in World Series history (surpassing 1960 & 1981), I find myself burying myself in past Yankee glory, such as the 1978 team.

For me, personally, my favorite Yankee team was the 1978 edition with unbelievable gamers like Roy White, Mickey Rivers, Thurman Munson, Greg Nettles, Chris Chamblis, Ron Guidry, Ed Figuerora, Sweet (well back then he was) Lou Peniella, a guy named Reggie Jackson and so many more!

I was a 14 year old kid who had just experienced his first World Series championship in 1977 where I witnessed Reggie hit those 3 bombs in the clincher (4 overall on 4 swings!). It had wiped away the bitter taste and embarrassment of the Reds sweep in 1976.

The strangest thing about that 1978 season for me was the fact that for some reason I started keeping a daily journal of each and every game that the Yankees played. Never did it before or since. I don't understand what provoked me to do it, but I did. I still have that old journal with notes and obversations about each and every game. Well, I almost quit making entries when that team fell behind the dreaded Boston Red Sox by 14 1/2 games! It was the lowest of lows!

Well, then you know the rest. Yankees got rid of Billy Martin, whom I loved, and went on a historic run the rest of the way. They completed the greatest comeback in baseball history. None of it was easy either.
Even that playoff game at Fenway. We all know about Bucky Dent's miracle shot and how the Goose saved it.

The highlight of the season for me came on September 15th when I attended my very first baseball game in person. My little brother and I were stunned as we walked into the house that Ruth built and I remember being overwhelmed by all the green and the loudness of the crowd. We were blessed to be there because earlier in the month, we had been ripped off by an assistant coach on our little league team when he skipped off with every players money which was supposed to go towards tickets for this game. Well, a friend of the family heard about this horrible story and gave me and my brother his box seats to an incredible game! What made the night perfect was the fact that my favorite pitcher of all-time was on the mound, Ron Guidry! On the way to the stadium I boldly predicted that the Ragin' Cajun would hurl a 2-hit shutout and damn if he didn't do it! The Yanks won 2-0 on homers by Nettles and Chamblis right down the line! It was a dream.

Then the Yankees beat the Royals for the third straight time in the playoffs and then fall behind the annoying Tommy Lasorda and his Dodgers two games to none before storming back to complete the most amazing comeback seaon in history.

I put all my journal entries together in a small book after that season along with all kinds of stats and was surprised by how many people bought it. I self piblished it and plan to repackage it someday soon.
Maybe I will offer to my fellow Yankee paissanos here at a big discount.

Let me know if you're interested.

Please tell me your favorite memory of that 1978 season.

yankeefrank
11-12-01, 04:16 PM
The best memory of '78? It had to be that October evening when my best friend called me up and said, "What are you doing tonight? I got 2 tickets for Game 3 of the World Series!" I was in my car and heading to his house before I hung the phone up, I think...
We got on the subway at Woodhaven Blvd. in Queens, and couldn't tell what the PA announcer was saying until he got to Queens Plaza and said that the train was going local to Brooklyn! We bailed out post-haste and made it onto a D train uptown to the Promised Land (aka 161 St and River Ave).
We missed the Dodger first (no great loss), and settled into our seats just in time to leap out of them cheering for Roy White as he belted a home run. We spent the rest of the night watching Graig Nettles put on a fielding clinic at 3rd base, and Ron Guidry at his Louisiana Lightning best.
I still have that ticket stub and program stashed away somewhere. My friend and I still reminisce about that night, especially the drunk guy sitting behind us ragging Davey Lopes and Dusty Baker.
Leaving the ballpark that night, I purchased a bumper sticker that read, "Yankees '78...And Forever". Unfortunately, I slapped it on the bumper of my beater '66 Comet, lost forever 2 years later when I sold the car (for $90, I might add). It may be gone, but I still feel the same way about the Yankees.

coalcracker
11-13-01, 09:21 AM
paisanno, was that 2-0 game Guidry won part of a doubleheader we split against the Tigers?

paisano
11-13-01, 09:24 AM
No..that game was against the Red Sox whom we had just caught the week earlier at Fenway in what was termed the Boston Masacre!
Remember that glorious weekend? Ah...how sweet it was.

I think Guidry beat Louis Tiant in this 2-0 game....

Nettles
11-13-01, 09:34 AM
I was 11 then. There was an "older" kid (around 16) in my neighborhood who hated the Yankees and was constantly berating me all season long. "The Yankees are terrible this year. They are falling apart." "The Red Sox are much better. Look at Jim Rice." "The Yankees can never hit Dennis Leonard, the will lose the playoffs." "The Dodgers are going to win this year in memory of Junior Gilliam." "Ha! Reggie struck out to lose Game 2. You gotta read that funny newspaper column about that."

My favorite baseball memory of all time was giving this teenager the 'ole Bronx cheer after Game 6. That was SWEEEEEEET!!

wexy
11-13-01, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by Nettles
I was 11 then. There was an "older" kid (around 16) in my neighborhood who hated the Yankees and was constantly berating me all season long. "The Yankees are terrible this year. They are falling apart." "The Red Sox are much better. Look at Jim Rice." "The Yankees can never hit Dennis Leonard, the will lose the playoffs." "The Dodgers are going to win this year in memory of Junior Gilliam." "Ha! Reggie struck out to lose Game 2. You gotta read that funny newspaper column about that.

My favorite baseball memory of all time was giving this teenager the 'ole Bronx cheer after Game 6. That was SWEEEEEEET!!

The whole Gilliam thing with Davey Lopes pointing at the sky
got to be really ridiculous and of course the Boston Massacre
was one of the best series ever. :)

Paiglee
06-23-06, 08:30 PM
Does anyone remember a game in Yankee Stadium, Yankees-Sox, I think it was 1978, when Dennis Eckersley was pitching for the sox, and I think he gave up something like 7 or 8 solo home runs???

JDPNYY
06-23-06, 09:01 PM
Does anyone remember a game in Yankee Stadium, Yankees-Sox, I think it was 1978, when Dennis Eckersley was pitching for the sox, and I think he gave up something like 7 or 8 solo home runs???

Nope. But I do remember this Thread.

hellonewman
06-23-06, 10:15 PM
That game was in 1983, shortly before Dennis stopped drinking.

Paiglee
06-23-06, 11:41 PM
Thanks -

Dannman103
06-24-06, 12:07 AM
has anyone else read the book "October Men" by Roger Kahn? It came out a couple of years back, and its all about the '78 team...im about halfway done with it, and its a pretty good read...worth checking out for anyone interested in that era of yankee baseball

jimmyclark
06-26-06, 08:50 PM
has anyone else read the book "October Men" by Roger Kahn? It came out a couple of years back, and its all about the '78 team...im about halfway done with it, and its a pretty good read...worth checking out for anyone interested in that era of yankee baseball

Decent book but some regulars such as Willie Randolph and Roy White are barely mentioned. I understand the story was Jackson, Martin, Steinbrenner and Munson but it was a TEAM.
The journal Paisano kept sounds interesting. I have thought about doing such a thing..actually did something of the 1964 season when I was a kid (various newspaper photos such as Yogi "enjoying the good taste of a Phillies cigar" advertisment. Long since disappeared.
I will have to look it up but thebig comeback game against Milwaukee that year. Always remember Gorman Thomas briefly catching a ball over the wall but his arm hit the top of the fence, came free and it was gone. Gotta look it up on retrosheet. I remember at the end of the year Warner Wolf "went to the videotape" to show that play as the key play of the season.

jimmyclark
06-26-06, 09:08 PM
Looking the game up it was August 9th, a Wednesday night at the stadium. It was Mickey Rivers who hit the home run (I kind of thought it was Chambliss) off Bob McClure. The play-by-play log doesn't mention Thomas almost catching it but he did. Larry McCall got the win, one of two in his undistinguished career.
If only YES would show some late 1970s games instead of just "Bucky Dent"and the few others they always broadcast.

Paiglee
06-26-06, 11:33 PM
Wasn't there a newspaper strike in NYC for most of the summer of 1978??

I seem to remember something along those lines. There was talk in Boston that getting the press off the backs of Billy Martin, Jackson, et al, helped them concentrate on baseball only and make up the 14 plus games on the Sox.

I probably saw 50 games at Fenway that year, ending with October 2, 1978. I did not go back to Fenway until June of 2005. 1978 was a fantastic year of baseball, with gladiator type games between the Sox and Yanks. 1978 was really the last year of the good sox teams until 86 and the last year the Yankees were all together(Munson).

I seem to remember Thurman Munson being as good in the clutch as Big Papi is now, and this is from a Red Sox Fan....is my memory right?

napllp
07-03-06, 08:46 PM
I was 18 years old at the time, and just going through basic training at Fort Dix, NJ. I remember when the deficit getting to 14 games that I wrote a letter home in which I jokingly said that I was going to root for the Giants. (They were briefly in the NL pennant race at the time.) When they made their miracle comeback, I was going through the Infantry School at Fort Benning, GA, and I read every paper that I could get hold of to see how they were doing. I got home to Lawrenceville, PA, where I lived at the time, in time to see the playoff win against Kansas City. (I had to content myself with listening to the win over Boston on the radio.) Later, my National Guard unit went down to Fort Indiantown Gap, PA, for training, and I got to at least see Game 4 of the World Series, when Reggie stopped the double play from happening.

hellonewman
07-05-06, 01:59 AM
Wasn't there a newspaper strike in NYC for most of the summer of 1978??

I seem to remember something along those lines. There was talk in Boston that getting the press off the backs of Billy Martin, Jackson, et al, helped them concentrate on baseball only and make up the 14 plus games on the Sox.I think the newspaper strike started in early August ... Billy Martin was gone by then. In fact, the fact Billy was fired was indirectly related to the papers still operating ... I believe he was talking to some beat writers in the Chicago airport when he made the infamous "One's a born liar, the other's convicted" comment.

The strike has been credited by some with helping them concentrate down the stretch, though.

On the other side, some feel Don Zimmer made a mistake by playing his regulars too much early in the season in hopes of blowing out the division and being able to take it easy the last few months. Supposedly that left the Red Sox very banged up during the "dog days." Don't remember how much truth there is to that, however.

I seem to remember Thurman Munson being as good in the clutch as Big Papi is now, and this is from a Red Sox Fan....is my memory right?I always liked to see him up in a pressure spot, even more so than Reggie ... he didn't have Ortiz's home run power, though. Awesome guy for getting a single or double when you needed one, however.

hellonewman
07-05-06, 02:04 AM
Looking the game up it was August 9th, a Wednesday night at the stadium. It was Mickey Rivers who hit the home run (I kind of thought it was Chambliss) off Bob McClure. The play-by-play log doesn't mention Thomas almost catching it but he did. Larry McCall got the win, one of two in his undistinguished career.
If only YES would show some late 1970s games instead of just "Bucky Dent"and the few others they always broadcast.Wow, I very faintly remember that game. Very faintly. Somehow the only thing I remember about Larry McCall was him mopping up in a 19-3 loss to the first-year expansion Blue Jays in 1977. :lol: Maybe today's 19-1 loss by the Yankees refreshed that memory.

ojo
07-05-06, 09:48 AM
my favorite memory of the '78 season was ron guidry shutting out the boston red sox twice in the span of six days.

Nettles
07-07-06, 11:26 AM
Why was this thread brought back? This was a long ago conversation! (And prior to the '04 disaster.)