PDA

View Full Version : Memories....

RebelYank97
11-10-01, 01:22 PM
Hey:

I'm a history buff and would love to hear fans 1st or 2nd hand accounts of what they've witnessed over the years watching the yankees play.

See some of the greats of bygone days play when you were a kid? Witness any of the WS games from the early days? See any records set? Witness any forgotten, yet memorable event?

-reb

SkooterPhil#10
11-10-01, 04:41 PM
No, but in person I have seen...

Daryl Strawberry hit 2 homers in one game. Against ChiSox

Bernie Williams hit 2 homers in one game from opposite sides of the plate. Against D-rays.

Don Mattingly hit a grand salamie to win a game against the BloSox.

I also saw Mendoza's "Near Perfecto" (ok, it was only like 6.2 perfect innings, but I WAS THERE!)

Bernie51
11-10-01, 10:27 PM
I was at the Roger Clemmens vs. Greg Maddux duel in '99 I think. It wasn't what I expected, they were both horrendous, giving up about more than 5 runs a piece but it was a pretty close game. I thought it was an exciting game despite the autrocious pitching from two HOFers. That's about it though. I'm not that old so I never got to watch the Yankee greats play.

YanksRockMan
11-11-01, 01:13 PM
David Cone and David Wells getting the perfect game.

Mike Mussina having an "almost" perfecto.

penguin4
11-11-01, 01:57 PM
I've been at plenty of memorable moments at the Stadium, but I'll throw one out that's kind of been obscured by many of the events of the past few years.

It is June 19, 1997 -- the first year of interleague play, and, more importantly, the third and final game of the first ever Yankee-Mets series. I had been wanting to go so badly, but knew they were sold out, and was overjoyed when my mom somehow managed to procure tickets to the afternoon game. One problem: it was the same day as one of my final exams which could not be rescheduled unless emergency. But after a lot of pleading with the faculty (and my mom finally admitting to the principal the real reason I was going to be absent), they miraculously agreed to let me take the test in the morning and leave from there.

We get to Yankee Stadium, and it was incredibly strange to see so many people booing our team in blue and orange hats and cheering for the other guys. Everyone was really animated that day; the Yanks had been shut out Game 1 6-0 by Dave Mlicki, but had come back to win Game 2 so that they were tied, and today's matchup (David Cone vs. Rick Reed) would decide once and for all who was The Better Team in New York that year.

They had been predicting heavy rain and perhaps thundershowers, but luckily nothing but a few drops fell all day... we were so lucky. Coney went 6+ innings of no-hit ball, and the Yanks scored two runs early... we were on our way, though overall Reed was pitching well. Then, all of a sudden, in the seventh, the Mets scored one run, and then tied it up on a questionable balk by Cone with the bases loaded. That would be all, and we went into extra innings with the score tied 2-2. Finally, in the bottom of the tenth, a slumping Tino Martinez (in one of his rare dry spells that year) comes up to the plate and hits a double down into the left field corner for the game-winning hit. After missing him hit a homerun the year before because i had to leave a game early, this was huge for me, a big Tino and Coney fan, and Yankee fans went home with a happiness unrivaled in the regular season. There were people selling "Mets Suck" jerseys on the street (the first time I'd seen those, as well) -- I almost got one. Should've, but didn't.

I guess in light of the Subway Series, etc, the contest means little now, but it was one of the best days of my life that year then -- not only did the Yanks win, but I got an A+ on the exam!

#1YankeeLover
11-11-01, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by Bernie51
I was at the Roger Clemmens vs. Greg Maddux duel in '99 I think. It wasn't what I expected, they were both horrendous, giving up about more than 5 runs a piece but it was a pretty close game. I thought it was an exciting game despite the autrocious pitching from two HOFers. That's about it though. I'm not that old so I never got to watch the Yankee greats play. I think that was in 2000 . . . It was an 11-7 final, and I remember reading somewhere that "Shane Spencer drove Trinidad Hubbard to the wall" . . . nearly hit a game-tying slam in the ninth. Missed the game, though.

-#1YankeeLover

wexy
11-11-01, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by RebelYank97
Hey:

I'm a history buff and would love to hear fans 1st or 2nd hand accounts of what they've witnessed over the years watching the yankees play.

See some of the greats of bygone days play when you were a kid? Witness any of the WS games from the early days? See any records set? Witness any forgotten, yet memorable event?

-reb If you see my post the Twenty things Ive
seen at the Stadium in the Yankees Discussion forum,(1page back)
Ive been lucky to see many of the recent great moments

RebelYank97
11-12-01, 07:58 AM
These are great stories! Having never been to Yankee stadium...it is great to hear first hand accounts..

Hey Wexy: I actually saw the "20 things" thread after I started this one...I read all of them...great stuff!

-reb