PDA

View Full Version : George "Snuffy" Sternweiss

Sixty one
11-09-01, 10:12 AM
How did he get his nickname...."Snuffy" and didn't he win a batting tittle for NY in 1945?:confused: :confused: :NY: :NY:

Gehrig
11-09-01, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by Sixty one
How did he get his nickname...."Snuffy" and didn't he win a batting tittle for NY in 1945?:confused: :confused: :NY: :NY:

AL Batting Title 1945 - .309

Died when a Jersey Central train drops into Newark Bay; a drawbridge was left open...Tragic

As for his nickname ?? not a clue :confused:

Gehrig
11-09-01, 12:16 PM
OK...I'll take a guess and it may be silly but...Barney Google and Snuffy Smith from the comics ?? :confused:

Thats the best I can come up with, seems like a weird nickname... :lol:

Nome
11-09-01, 02:42 PM
Snuffy had the lowest league leading BA up till the time Yaz won the record with a .302 (I think) in the 50's or 60's. I guess I got to look it up.

I still remember reading the sad headlines of the train mishap into Newark Bay. Sternweiss put in his time with the Yankees and did a damn good job at 2B after Gordon went to Cleveland as playing mgr.

Sixty one
11-09-01, 04:47 PM
I did know that he died tragically but never heard anyone or read any where how he got that nickname!

Gehrig
11-09-01, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by Sixty one
I did know that he died tragically but never heard anyone or read any where how he got that nickname!

Wait a minute ?? I thought you knew and would tell us the answer ??!!

AAARRRRGGGHHHHH !!!!!! :lol:

Now I MUST find out !!!!!

must find out....

must find out..

must

find

out...

penguin4
11-09-01, 11:41 PM
Originally posted by Nome
Snuffy had the lowest league leading BA up till the time Yaz won the record with a .302 (I think) in the 50's or 60's. I guess I got to look it up.

1968 to be exact, the Year of the Pitcher. (And it was .301.)

No idea about Snuffy. That'll be the source of my frustration too.;)

Sixty one
11-10-01, 10:38 AM
Sorry I frustrated you, Gehrig, but I really don't have a clue about that nickname. I just always wondered how anyone 50 years ago gets a nickname like that.:confused: :confused: :confused: :NY: :NY: :NY:

Allonsanfan
11-12-01, 02:06 AM
He got his nickname because he suffered from lifelong sinus condition.

Sixty one
11-12-01, 09:55 AM
That sounds logical! I'm curious though how did you know that?:confused: :confused: :confused:

Allonsanfan
11-13-01, 01:47 AM
I found it in "Baseball: The Biographical Encyclopedia".