PDA

View Full Version : General Baseball Trivia

Gehrig
11-09-01, 08:07 AM
These questions pertain to ALL baseball...

1. Who helped initiate crediting “saves” to pitchers, and when did this occur ?
Jerry Holtzman, Chicago Sun Times – 1960

2. What year were players no longer permitted to leave their gloves on the playing field when their team is at bat ?

3. When was the famous line “How about that” first uttered by Mel Allen, and under what circumstances ?
1949 when Joe DiMaggio returned to the lineup after being disabled by a bone spur, and he cracks a hit in his first at bat

4. When Johnny Hollison died in 1969, what did his obituary neglect to mention ?
He was the last surviving pitcher to hurl from a rectangular box 50 feet from home plate

5. When Milt Pappas of the Cubs won his 200th game in 1972, what was so unique about his accomplishment ?
He did it without ever having won 20 games in a season

6. What was a “Balata Baseball” and when was it used ?
It was basically a different quality rubber cement mixture which created a dead ball effect; was briefly used in 1943 to save on rubber during the war

7. What was the signifigance of the game played between the Pirates and Reds on Sunday, April 29th 1934 at Forbes Field ?
Pittsburgh became the last major league city to lift it’s Blue Laws and allow Sunday Baseball

8. What happened to Phillies pitcher Hugh Mulcahy on March 8th 1941 ?
He became the 1st major-leaguer to be drafted in the prelude to WWII

9. What happened on May 2nd 1939 at Briggs Stadium ?
Lou Gehrig’s name did not appear in a box score for the first time in 2130 games

10. What record did Dick McAullife of the Tigers set in 1968 ?
Became the 1st AL player to play more than 150 games in a season without grounding into a double play

11. What is Dan Driessens claim to fame ?
First player to serve as a DH in a WS - for the Reds in 1976

Sixty one
11-09-01, 09:23 AM
These questions are harder than ones you would find on a TV quiz show!
However, I'll take some way out quesses on some of them.

2. 1956?
3. DiMaggio getting robbed in Yankee stadium by Gionfriedo of an extra base hit in the 1947 WS?
5. One hundred wins in each league?
7. The first time a game was played in Pa. on a Sunday due to their "blue laws"?

These are all strictly quesses!:confused: :confused: :confused: :NY: :NY: :NY:

Chris
11-09-01, 09:30 AM
1. '69
2. '54
5. he was one out away from a perfecto and walked what would have been the last batter
6. it was a livlier baseball used in the early fourties
8. He was drafted (first MLB player)
9. That's the day Lou Gehrig benched himself
11. First NL DH

Nettles
11-09-01, 09:50 AM
1. Who helped initiate crediting “saves” to pitchers, and when did this occur ? A WRITER NAMED JEROME HOLTZMAN DID THIS IN THE EARLY 1960s. THE SAME WAS MADE OFFICIAL IN 1969.

4. When Johnny Hollison died in 1969, what did his obituary neglect to mention ?
He played one game, and pitched 4 innings.

5. When Milt Pappas of the Cubs won his 200th game in 1972, what was so unique about his accomplishment ?HE NEVER WON 20 IN A SEASON.

DRAFTED IN TO THE MILITARY.

9. What happened on May 2nd 1939 at Briggs Stadium ?GEHRIG TOOK HIMSELF OUT OF LINEUP

10. What record did Dick McAullife of the Tigers set in 1968 ? DID NOT GROUND INTO DOUBLE PLAY ALL SEASON

11. What is Dan Driessens claim to fame ? [/B][/QUOTE] FIRST NL PLAYER TO DH (AND GOT THE PUTOUT IN TOM SEAVER'S NO HITTER FOR THE REDS IN 1977)

Gehrig
11-09-01, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by Sixty one

2. 1956?
3. DiMaggio getting robbed in Yankee stadium by Gionfriedo of an extra base hit in the 1947 WS?
5. One hundred wins in each league?
7. The first time a game was played in Pa. on a Sunday due to their "blue laws"?

Correct on # 7

I looked for more difficult ones as you guys are friggin unbelievable around here with your Baseball knowledge !!! And thats a good thing... :)

Gehrig
11-09-01, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by Chris
1. '69
2. '54
5. he was one out away from a perfecto and walked what would have been the last batter
6. it was a livlier baseball used in the early fourties
8. He was drafted (first MLB player)
9. That's the day Lou Gehrig benched himself
11. First NL DH

Correct on # 2, 8, 9, and 11 is close enough to what I was looking for...

Gehrig
11-09-01, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by Nettles
1. Who helped initiate crediting “saves” to pitchers, and when did this occur ? A WRITER NAMED JEROME HOLTZMAN DID THIS IN THE EARLY 1960s. THE SAME WAS MADE OFFICIAL IN 1969.

He played one game, and pitched 4 innings.

5. When Milt Pappas of the Cubs won his 200th game in 1972, what was so unique about his accomplishment ?HE NEVER WON 20 IN A SEASON.

DRAFTED IN TO THE MILITARY.

9. What happened on May 2nd 1939 at Briggs Stadium ?GEHRIG TOOK HIMSELF OUT OF LINEUP

10. What record did Dick McAullife of the Tigers set in 1968 ? DID NOT GROUND INTO DOUBLE PLAY ALL SEASON

11. What is Dan Driessens claim to fame ? FIRST NL PLAYER TO DH (AND GOT THE PUTOUT IN TOM SEAVER'S NO HITTER FOR THE REDS IN 1977) [/B][/QUOTE]

Correct on # 1, 5, 8, 9, 10, 11

Chris
11-09-01, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by Gehrig
5. When Milt Pappas of the Cubs won his 200th game in 1972, what was so unique about his accomplishment ?
He did it without ever having won 20 games in a season

Hey Gehrig,

Do you know what day of the season he got that win?

Chris
11-09-01, 10:38 AM
5. I thought someone would know for sure but here is what my mother, who loved Mel Allen more than anyone could love, used to tell me.
When Lou Gehrig was weak, right before his retirement he told Mel, "you're voice is sometimes all that gets me through the game" or something close to that. Mel Allen teared up and said, "How about that?"

I'm not even sure if the story is true or not but even if it's myth it's nice and being that nobody answered it yet that's my stab.

I always thought it was just a good bedtime story.

Gehrig
11-09-01, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by Chris

Hey Gehrig,

Do you know what day of the season he got that win?

Uhhhh...not really, but I'll guess that it was the same day of your answer ? :lol: Sept 2nd ?

Chris
11-09-01, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by Gehrig

Uhhhh...not really, but I'll guess that it was the same day of your answer ? :lol: Sept 2nd ?

I don't know if it was the same day although I think it was.

two oddities

coalcracker
11-09-01, 03:09 PM
#3. I'd guess - Unknown.

There was none better than Mel Allen - or since.

Sixty one
11-09-01, 03:53 PM
Did Mel Allen who was the greatest Yankee announcer of all time in my opinion say that after delivering a commercial for Ballyantine beer?:confused: :confused: :NY: :NY:

coalcracker
11-09-01, 05:52 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Sixty one
Did Mel Allen who was the greatest Yankee announcer of all time in my opinion say that after delivering a commercial for Ballyantine beer?:confused: :confused: :NY: :NY: [/

Could be, but I don't remember him saying that. I do recall him calling a homerun, a Ballantine Blast.

Allonsanfan
11-10-01, 12:54 AM
3. In 1949 where Joe DiMaggio got a hit after returning from bone spur injury.
4. He was the last living man who pitched in the majors from pitching box set 50 feet from the home plate.
6. Balata balls were used in 1943.Those were baseballs where so called balata, a rubberlike gum, was used within the ball instead of rubber.Rubber was rationed there due to war.

Gehrig
11-12-01, 06:23 AM
Originally posted by Allonsanfan
3. In 1949 where Joe DiMaggio got a hit after returning from bone spur injury.
4. He was the last living man who pitched in the majors from pitching box set 50 feet from the home plate.
6. Balata balls were used in 1943.Those were baseballs where so called balata, a rubberlike gum, was used within the ball instead of rubber.Rubber was rationed there due to war.

Well....how about that... :lol:

Nome
11-12-01, 07:50 AM
Does anyone know a reference that gives info on past trades/player movements.

I would love to have the details of the Yankees/ Browns (or was it the Orioles) trade in 1954 involving 17 players. The Yankees got Turley, Larsen and Billy Hunter among others. Gus Triandol, Clint Courtney and possibly Gene Woodling went to the Browns/Orioles

Gehrig
11-12-01, 08:04 AM
Originally posted by Nome
Does anyone know a reference that gives info on past trades/player movements.

I would love to have the details of the Yankees/ Browns (or was it the Orioles) trade in 1954 involving 17 players. The Yankees got Turley, Larsen and Billy Hunter among others. Gus Triandol, Clint Courtney and possibly Gene Woodling went to the Browns/Orioles

Nome, ironically last evening I was reviewing one of my gazillion books on the Yankees which contained alot of past trades information...I was going to use this very trade as one of a future trivia question on Past Yankees trades...

11/8/54...The Yankees made a blockbuster trade with the Baltimore Orioles...Going to the O's were:

Harry Byrd
Jim McDonald
Bill Miller
Hal Smith
Gus Triandos
Don Leppert
Kal Segrist
Willie Miranda
Gene Woodling

The Yankees received:

Mike Blyzka
Don Larsen