PDA

View Full Version : Old Timers Game HR's

GoShane47
11-06-01, 10:11 PM
I was at the old timers game this year and saw john spencer hit a home run and was wondering if there are lot of home runs hit durring the old timers game, it ws my first time there for that game adn i never realy watched them on tv. :NY:

Jim F.
11-07-01, 03:19 PM
Bobby Murcer hit one out this year, I think - or maybe it was last year.

-jim

Sandman
11-07-01, 03:38 PM
I know this is not a Yankee story, but the most amazing home run at an Old-Timers Game must be the shot that Luke Appling hit off Warren Spahn at the 1982 Cracker Jack Old-Timers Game in Washington. It traveled about 260 feet over the shortened fence. I believe Appling was 75 YEARS OLD at the time.

Carissa
11-07-01, 03:39 PM
I want to say Clifford Johnson hit a 2-run HR this year.

I'm not too sure of his name but it was the guy that got into a fight with Goose Gossage in the clubhouse.

wexy
11-07-01, 09:13 PM
Originally posted by cdmirra
I want to say Clifford Johnson hit a 2-run HR this year.

I'm not too sure of his name but it was the guy that got into a fight with Goose Gossage in the clubhouse. Cliff Johnson
did hit the homer,I have a picture of him coming home.
It was "Heathcliffe" who got into the fight with Goose in the
clubhouse, I think breaking his thumb during the nightmare 79
season.

Nettles
11-08-01, 12:16 PM
I attended the 1984 game when they retired the numbers for Elston Howard (already deceased by then), and Roger Maris (still living at the time). In the old timers game, Maris drove in the only run for a 1-0 win. As many of you know, the final score of the last game in 1961 (when Roger hit no. 61) was also 1-0.

Less than a year later, Maris had passed away. What a shame.

wexy
11-09-01, 03:00 AM
Originally posted by Nettles
I attended the 1984 game when they retired the numbers for Elston Howard (already deceased by then), and Roger Maris (still living at the time). In the old timers game, Maris drove in the only run for a 1-0 win. As many of you know, the final score of the last game in 1961 (when Roger hit no. 61) was also 1-0.

Less than a year later, Maris had passed away. What a shame. I just found the Yankees magazine they gave out at that
game with Ellie and Roger on the cover.