PDA

View Full Version : Where Were You...

allybear
10-02-01, 01:21 PM
23 years ago today? I can answer that...skipping school to watch the Yankees take on Boston in the one-game playoff!

Yes, today is the anniversary of yet more Boston heartbreak at the hands of the Yankees, more specifically, at the hands of the heartthrob of the 70's, Bucky Dent!

Just saw that in the paper today and wanted to share a happy memory...:)

wexy
10-02-01, 05:38 PM
It was Jewish New Year and my cousins were over .
My mother made a big meal and we all watched the game.
When Bill White said "Popped it up!" when Yaz made the last out
I went nuts.

#1Coneyfan
10-02-01, 09:08 PM
They just showed Bucky break the heart of Bahston on tv. I never get tired of seeing that!

I worked for a brokerage firm in midtown, and all 40 of us crowded into my boss' office to watch the game on his tv. We were screaming and jumping up and down when Bucky hit it out, and my boss took us all out for drinks after work :D

#1PaFan
10-02-01, 09:09 PM
I was in the Army, stationed at Ft. Devens, Mass. :D

I was surrounded by Sux fans. :D

What a great, great day! :) :NY: :) :NY:

ConnYankee
10-03-01, 07:23 AM
It was my first day on a new job. My new boss was a Sux fan. We had the radio on. When Bucky hit it, Rizzuto sounded like he was having a heart attack. I started dancing around the room. My boss looked at me and said "Sit down you f***ing a**hole!" Got home in time to watch the end on Ch. 11.
I've got a video of the game.
I still laugh when I watch it.
And I have a baseball autographed by Bucky AND Mike Torrez!

jiffyjeff
10-03-01, 03:52 PM
Freshman year at college

patrick.o
10-03-01, 05:50 PM
I was in the back yard playing with my Tonka Trucks, and doing whatever else it is that 6 year olds do! :)

wexy
10-03-01, 08:34 PM
An interesting note is that in New York, the newspapers were on
strike. Reporters put out an independent paper the New York Press
for a couple of weeks , I have the one with Bucky crossing home
after the homer on the front page.

allybear
10-04-01, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by patrick.o
I was in the back yard playing with my Tonka Trucks, and doing whatever else it is that 6 year olds do! :)

Shut up, walk away slowly, and I won't have to hurt you! :lol:

b-ball-lunachick
10-04-01, 11:08 PM
Originally posted by allybear

Shut up, walk away slowly, and I won't have to hurt you! :lol:

LMAO Ally!! :lol: :lol:

I was dancing around my kitchen doing the happy dance!! :D I was laughing at my brothers who are Met fans and always made fun of me for being a Bucky Dent fan...I was a happy 9yr old camper that day!! :D

penguin4
10-05-01, 02:21 AM
I was an unfertilized egg in my mother's ovary, about 3 years removed from falling into her uterus.

Ahh... those were the days...;)

# 21 Forever
10-05-01, 04:41 PM
I was beginning to plan my wedding!

#1YankeeLover
10-05-01, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by penguin4
I was an unfertilized egg in my mother's ovary, about 3 years removed from falling into her uterus.

Ahh... those were the days...;) Same here, except I was about six years removed. :D :D :D

-#1YankeeLover

bagger015
10-09-01, 09:17 PM
:NY: In front of the tv, skipped work and no regrets here...:p :D :) ;) :O

Jersey Yankee
10-13-01, 12:51 AM
I wasn't totally a Yankee fan back then but I remember my brother telling me in Mom's kitchen that Bucky had a so-so regular season but he'd sprouted out in October. Well, it didn't matter, since Bahstun had been stunned, knocked out by the Yanks.

Allybear, thanks for reminding us of the date.

el ducky
10-18-01, 05:36 PM
It was a Jewish holiday, but two of us were working anyway, not being Jewish but working for a Jewish office. We had the game on the radio. Bucky Dent came up. I said "Why are they not pinch hitting for this stiff?" My co-worker Mike McCann said "Because he's gonna hit a home run." And two seconds later...BINGO!!! Some fan I am...and HOW did Mike KNOW???

deranged2005
10-18-01, 06:00 PM
Not alive. Born in 87

OklaYankeeFan
10-19-01, 12:40 AM
Oh Ally, you lucky little thing! I remember EXACTLY where I was...In my livingroom, skipping school as well(teaching, called in sick), PG with kid #2 (she was born Dec 6) I remember that homer like it was yesterday! I was on the couch with a coffee table in front of it & as the ball cleared the wall, I landed somewhere on the other side of the room. Cleared that coffee table in a heartbeat!