PDA

View Full Version : September 4, 1993

SanFrANSKY
09-04-01, 11:15 AM
I consider this date in 1993 to mark the ascension of the modern Yankee dynasty.

This one-handed pitcher, who once commented that he wanted to be like Nolan Ryan and not like Pete Gray, realized part of that dream when he tossed this five-walk no hitter in Yankee Stadium ... and beat a Cleveland team that included Manny, Lofton and Baerga.

Boxscore (http://baseball-almanac.com/boxscore/09041993.shtml)

#1PaFan
09-04-01, 11:56 AM
Eight years ago?? Man, where did that time go?

Thanks for the reminder. What a heckuva performance that was.

Slippery Elm
09-04-01, 07:26 PM
That was one of the few fine moments he had as a Yankee as his career started to rapidly collapse. Too bad. He showed a lot of guts. He also batted with one hand.

bagger015
09-04-01, 10:05 PM
:NY: Yes time does fly and it was a great preformance. Thanks for the memories...:D

deranged2005
09-05-01, 02:51 PM
I know now. Wasn't he traded to the Angels a few years later.

penguin4
09-07-01, 12:22 AM
Abbot was actually traded to the White Sox in 1994, and then went to the Angels and found himself with probably one of the worst seasons (if not the worst season) of any pitcher in history-- 2-18 with an ERA near 8.00 in 1996!:eek: He bounced around in the minors for a while after, and then in 1998 was one of the great comeback stories when he went 5-0 in September, again with the Chisox. In 1999, he was on the Milwaukee Brewers, which was pretty cool because you got to watch him bat, and he retired in the middle of the season.

I saw him pitch once for the Yankees in 1993 in August, a few starts before the no-hitter. I was so fascinated with what he could do despite his disability that he quickly became my first "favorite" player... and is a large reason why I am a Yankee fan today.

(I also find it interesting that of the guys in the line-up that day behind him, all the ones that are still active are on the Yankees now -- O'Neill, Velarde, and the Williamses.)

jiffyjeff
09-07-01, 12:08 PM
Jim Abbot was a real inspiration wasn't he ...

I remember that day as well as any in my life ....only because that was the day that a local policeman murdered my 17 month old black lab .......

deranged2005
09-24-01, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by jiffyjeff

I remember that day as well as any in my life ....only because that was the day that a local policeman murdered my 17 month old black lab .......

Why did a policeman murderer you 17 month old black lab? WHat did that SOB do?

HOw did Abbout bat with his one hand?

penguin4
09-24-01, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by deranged2005
HOw did Abbout bat with his one hand?
He held the bat in his left hand (the good one), and I think rested the end on the stubble, if i remember correctly. I think he was actually one of his team's best hitters back in grade school, believe it or not, so however he pulled it off it must've worked.