PDA

View Full Version : Question

patrick.o
06-08-00, 10:00 PM
Jim~
When I log onto this site, the homepage is always dated properly, but the game score is old, and the feature story, also. For instance, today I logged on and the date said 6-8-00, but the game score was a Tampa Bay game. When I hit refresh the page comes back with the correct game on it, in this case the last Montreal game. If I don't refresh the same game will appear each time I log on until I do refresh. Am I doing something wrong when I log on or will I always have to refresh to get the most recent version of the home page?

JimF
06-08-00, 10:06 PM
And I have an equally good answer. I am assuming that you use Microsoft Internet Explorer?

Okay, go to "Tools", then select "Internet Options". On the first tab, called "General", you will see a box in the middle that says "Temporary Internet Files". Click the "Settings" button. In the next window, you will see a dialog that says "Check For Newer Versions Of Stored Pages:", make sure that you have the first option, called "Every visit to the page" checked. This will make Internet Explorer look for an updated page whenever it loads a page.

The downside is that it won't load pages from the cache, or memory, it will check for an update. I don't notice a slowdown while surfing the 'net, but depending on your connection you might. But setting this option will help on all the pages you view.

Let me know if this works. :)

If you use Netscape or something else, I don't know the exact locations of these options, but I am sure you will be able to figure it out.

patrick.o
06-08-00, 10:59 PM
Thanks Jim. I'll let you know in a few days if it works (I'm sure it will) and if it affects my other net stuff.

As usual, you da man!

patrick.o
06-10-00, 04:54 PM
Damnit, I'm still getting that ******* Tampa score! Help me Obi-Jim Kenobi, you are my only hope.

JimF
06-10-00, 05:02 PM
Okay, there are two possible scenarios.

1) You are using Internet Explorer 5. There is a confirmed bug with this browser that causes all content to get cached, even if you tell it not to.

If you're not using IE 5, see #2

2) I've been busy (and lazy) recently, so the page still really does show the score from last Wednesday vs. Montreal. I'm bad, I know.

Here are the possible solutions:

1) I just added something that should cause it to be non-cached, give it a shot as normal and let me know if you still have the problems.

2) When you are on the page, hit the "Refresh/Reload" button while holding down the "Shift" key on your keyboard. This should load the page from the server, not from your cache.

3) Try using this URL when accessing the main page:
http://www.bronx-bombers.com/index.php?MyNameIsPatrick

Give that a shot, it should do the trick.

:)

May the force be with you...

JimF
06-10-00, 05:09 PM
I just updated the page, let me know if you see the score from today's game or not. :)

patrick.o
06-11-00, 01:27 PM
Jim~ I tried #2 but it didn't work (it updated but when I logged out and back in, good ol' Tampa Bay was back in it's familiar place), so I went with #3. So far so good. I'll let you know what happens after you update the home page after the next game. I hope it works. I kinda like having my own personal link. I see the address when I log on and I can't help but to start singing "my name is..my name is..my name is..!!

patrick.o
06-14-00, 06:37 PM
Jim~
Thanks, man. I logged on just now with the URL you gave me and I got that beautiful Yanks-BoSox score. All is well in my world now! Thanks again.