PDA

View Full Version : How were Yankee managers treated in the '70s and '80s?

Jersey Yankee
08-31-01, 04:31 AM
I remember Billy Martin's being a manager 5 times, Sweet Lou being treated less than professionally. Could someone elaborate on how they were treated? I keep hearing how Steinbrenner never really treated his managers professionally, and I was hoping to hear from someone who knew more about this.

Sorry to bring up such a sad subject, but I'd spoken with a long-time fan a few weeks ago who'd mentioned this.

Thanks in advance.

Nome
08-31-01, 07:51 AM
Hey, Steiny got off on firing people. Forget the managers. As I remember he fired pitching coaches 50% more frequently than he fired managers and if they kept records, I believe George set records during those years of firing people. Yet he had a soft heart. He kept bringing the same people back and giving them jobs, either in the same area or another.

I have been going to Yankee spring training for at least 15 out of the last 18 seasons. I remember when Mattingly reported to Spring camp sporting a beard and George was upset, besides himself. We had seets on the first base side bleachers on the top row adjacent ot the bull pen. I saw George and me and my brother in law really gave it to George at his transgressions at the time. We had a spirited conversation at the time. George spent at least 10 minutes at yelling at us while we were yelling at him.

George today is a different person and thank God, and Joe Torre for it.

Andy

SanFrANSKY
08-31-01, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by Nome
George spent at least 10 minutes at yelling at us while we were yelling at him.

Attaboy Andy, good for you!!

seahorse
08-31-01, 03:10 PM
ditto!:p

BobbyMurcerFan
09-01-01, 04:55 AM
Like Sh_t.

Sixty one
09-01-01, 12:03 PM
As others have already said Steinbrenner in those days enjoyed intimidating his employees whether they were his managers or office help. I think he has mellowed with time and found the perfect manager -Joe Torre- so that his tandrums have been minimized. I think he is 70 years of age perhaps that's another reason.:NY:

DW Fan
09-01-01, 10:12 PM
It was a Zoo.
George Steinbrenner...was a big pain in the ass.
Billy Martin was quite the scrapper, and throw in Reggie Jackson and his ego. Get the picture. :)

Slippery Elm
09-01-01, 10:27 PM
Originally posted by Nome
George today is a different person and thank God, and Joe Torre for it.

Andy

You can thank Howie Spira.

That was Winfield's biggest accomplishment: getting George tossed out of Baseball. . . and the rest is victory.

It was disgraceful how Steinbrenner jerked a pathetic alcoholic, Billy Martin, on a chain playing him like a fish with firings and re-hirings.

Jersey Yankee
09-02-01, 05:48 AM
Sorry for not checking back here and replying. I thank all for their back and forth bantering, which adds a lot to my overall knowledge of the Yankees and as a bonus, lets us all share our feelings on seasons past.

Appreciated.

#1PaFan
09-02-01, 08:22 AM
Hey, way to go Andy! Maybe you're part of the reason the Boss has mellowed. :)

bagger015
09-02-01, 11:23 PM
:uhh: they did not call it the Bronx Zoo for nothing...:uhh: :lol:

Luvtino
09-04-01, 04:38 PM
They were treated terribly and I am thankful that George has mellowed somewhat after being thrown out of baseball.

Torre and his handling of George will be sorely missed when he is gone.

Jersey Yankee
09-05-01, 04:38 AM
Originally posted by Luvtino
They were treated terribly and I am thankful that George has mellowed somewhat after being thrown out of baseball.

Torre and his handling of George will be sorely missed when he is gone. For Yankee Haters who consider Joe a pushbutton manager, this demonstrates that nothing could be further from the truth. Dealing with George doesn't seem to be such a small thing, especially if you look at previous history.

I'm glad that Joe stuck up for Andy when he was supposedly on the way out. I'm hoping that the big lefty pulls himself out of whatever's bothering him and is the same Andy we've known from years past.

Even when I didn't follow the Yankees that closely, Reggie's and George's arguments with Billy Martin always made news beyond the back pages of the News and the Post.

nicky_d
09-06-01, 12:02 AM
OK folks, hold onto your hats!!

Jan 3, 1973 -- Steinbrenner buys Yanks

Sept 30, 1973 -- Ralph Houk resigns as manager

Aug 1, 1975 -- Billy Martin replaces Bill Virdon in his first of 5 stints as manager

July 24, 1978 -- Billy Martin resigns as manager

July 25, 1978 -- Bob Lemon named manager, replacing Martin

July 29, 1978 -- Yanks announce on Old Timer's Day that Billy will return as yankee manager in 1980 and Bob Lemon will become general manager

June 18, 1979 -- Billy Martin returns as Yankee manager, replacing Lemon

Sept 6, 1981 -- Bob Lemon named manager for second time, replacing Gene Michael

April 26, 1982 -- Gene Michael becomes manager for second time, replacing Bob Lemon

Aug 3, 1982 -- Clyde King named Yankee manager, replacing Gene Michael

April 28, 1985 -- Billy Martin named manager for 4th time, replacing Yogi Berra

Oct 17, 1985 -- Lou Piniella named Yankee Manager, replacing Billy Martin

June 23, 1988 -- Billy Martin replaced as manager of Yanks for 5th time. Lou Piniella named manager for second time.

Aug 18, 1989 -- Bucky dent replaces Dallas Green as Yankee manager.

June 6, 1990 -- Stump Merrill replaces Dent as Yankee Manager

Slippery Elm
09-06-01, 12:20 AM
Famous quote, April 1990 from George: "Bucky Dent WILL be my manager all year".

Yeah, sure, George. people were laughing at you months before you fired him.

Nettles
09-06-01, 09:11 AM
Originally posted by nicky_d
OK folks, hold onto your hats!!

Jan 3, 1973 -- Steinbrenner buys Yanks

Sept 30, 1973 -- Ralph Houk resigns as manager

Aug 1, 1975 -- Billy Martin replaces Bill Virdon in his first of 5 stints as manager

July 24, 1978 -- Billy Martin resigns as manager

July 25, 1978 -- Bob Lemon named manager, replacing Martin

July 29, 1978 -- Yanks announce on Old Timer's Day that Billy will return as yankee manager in 1980 and Bob Lemon will become general manager

June 18, 1979 -- Billy Martin returns as Yankee manager, replacing Lemon

Sept 6, 1981 -- Bob Lemon named manager for second time, replacing Gene Michael

April 26, 1982 -- Gene Michael becomes manager for second time, replacing Bob Lemon

Aug 3, 1982 -- Clyde King named Yankee manager, replacing Gene Michael

April 28, 1985 -- Billy Martin named manager for 4th time, replacing Yogi Berra

Oct 17, 1985 -- Lou Piniella named Yankee Manager, replacing Billy Martin

June 23, 1988 -- Billy Martin replaced as manager of Yanks for 5th time. Lou Piniella named manager for second time.

Aug 18, 1989 -- Bucky dent replaces Dallas Green as Yankee manager.

June 6, 1990 -- Stump Merrill replaces Dent as Yankee Manager

You missed a few: Dick Howser managed in 1980; Billy managed in 1983. Lou managed for part of 1987, and was replaced by Billy; Buck Showalter was named manager for 1992.