PDA

View Full Version : Greatest YANKEE Hitting Feat!

SkooterPhil#10
08-27-01, 05:36 PM
Definitely going with the 56 game hitting streak by Joe D.

AMAZING!:eek: :) :eek:

CalifYanksFan
08-27-01, 06:19 PM
Well, I guess I'll hedge my vote. I voted for Mick's shot off the facade, because I didn't see DiMaggio's 56 game streak amongst all the home run entries. Had I seen that I would of voted for Joe D. Another one I would have added was the Babe's called shot during the '32 World Series.

Jim Roche
08-27-01, 06:23 PM
Guys..............
Mickey hit the facade at the Stadium ........TWICE....

In '56 against Pete Ramos of the Senators...my Dad was there...

and in '63 against Bill Fischer of the Kansas City A's....( he's the guy who holds that consecutive innings pitched without a walk record that Greg Maddux was trying to top earlier this year.....)

seahorse
08-27-01, 06:28 PM
A hard choice, but I went with Mick's shot off the facade. :cool:

MLBfan
08-27-01, 08:09 PM
Easy for me,

All of them have, or will be done by other players, except the 56 game hitting streak.

SkooterPhil#10
08-28-01, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by CalifYanksFan
Another one I would have added was the Babe's called shot during the '32 World Series.

Damn, I can't believe I forgot that one. That should be on there instead of Babes 60 hr I guess.

Gehrig
08-28-01, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by CalifYanksFan
Another one I would have added was the Babe's called shot during the '32 World Series.

IF...he did call that shot...There is way too much speculation in that he did or didn't to actually say he did...

He also raised his hand after the first strike...And the pitcher also claimed if he thought Ruth was pointing where the shot was going he would have "sent the next pitch into his ear"...

Gehrig
08-28-01, 12:51 PM
sheesh...a very good list here....

I have to go with the 56 game hit streak...

In the game in which it was broken he wuz robbed !!! :lol:

Looked like a REALLY close play at first...

Had he been safe, well...he went on to hit in, I think, another 25 in a row !! :eek:

That was ALMOST a 76 game streak !! :scared:

SkooterPhil#10
08-28-01, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by Gehrig

IF...he did call that shot...There is way too much speculation in that he did or didn't to actually say he did...

He also raised his hand after the first strike...And the pitcher also claimed if he thought Ruth was pointing where the shot was going he would have "sent the next pitch into his ear"...

"Aw, everybody knows that game, the day I hit the homer off ole Charlie Root there in Wrigley Field, the day October first, the third game of that thirty-two World Series. But right now I want to settle all arguments. I didn't exactly point to any spot, like the flagpole. Anyway, I didn't mean to, I just sorta waved at the whole fence, but that was foolish enough. All I wanted to do was give that thing a ride... outta the park... anywhere." -Babe Ruth

:cool:

Slippery Elm
08-28-01, 09:54 PM
You may want to consider a poll WITHOUT DiMag's 56, Babe's 60, and Maris' 61. I wonder what would win then.

Jersey Yankee
08-29-01, 06:18 AM
Originally posted by Gehrig

He also raised his hand after the first strike...And the pitcher also claimed if he thought Ruth was pointing where the shot was going he would have "sent the next pitch into his ear"...According to NY Daily News' Bill Gallo (http://www.nydailynews.com/1998-08-09/Metro_Sports/Baseball/a-1907.asp), the shot was never called. Bill's a very old school sportswriter who's drawn pictures of Joe D and was on his short list of buddies, so he seems credible.

Here's the 3-year-old article:

Sunday, August 09, 1998

Separating Ruthian Myth & Reality

We all know that the definition of a myth is "a legendary story usually concerning a being or hero with or without a determining basis."

For years, there have been a couple of myths concerning Babe Ruth. Next Sunday at 8 p.m., HBO puts one of them to rest.

This Ruthian myth concerns that famed home run the Bambino was supposed to have called. In the documentary, you see a film clip of the day that Ruth was supposed to have pointed to right center as if saying, "I'll hit one over there."

No such thing.

Babe Ruth

The clip clearly shows Ruth coming to the plate while waving his fingers toward third base and making what appeared to be small talk with the umpire. End of story. Myth buried.

It is not part of the HBO special "Babe Ruth," but another myth concerning the Babe goes back to World War II. This one dealt with what the Japanese were supposed to have said to American Marines while they were engaged at war in the Pacific. The story goes and it's been in print many times that while in close combat Japanese soldiers would yell, "The hell with Babe Ruth." This, said the myth-spreaders, was supposed to lure Marines out of their foxholes to become easy prey.

I've heard this sworn to be true many times and even saw it played out in some of those bad war movies of the '40s and '50s. What I can tell you now, is that this was and is a bunch of malarky.

Every guy I knew who was in the Pacific theater during the war finds that story laughable. I spent two years in Pacific combat and never once heard any Japanese soldier mention Babe Ruth. So, that's another Ruth myth you can put to rest.

While we're on the subject of war films, I saw "Saving Private Ryan" and yes, in my opinion, it is the most vivid, realistic, powerful movie on war ever made. That young people, 20 and up, should see it, I agree. They'll find it as unbelievable to look at as we did living it.

I have only one little complaint with the reality of the film. In a scene where American boys are trading fire with the Germans, one guy flips a grenade (underhand) to his buddy behind him so he can throw it. No, sir! This could not happen. You just don't, in the midst of combat, nonchalantly toss a hand grenade to your own guy never! It reminded me of the old war films where guys took out grenade pins with their teeth. What Hollywood baloney. Another myth shattered. I'm glad I saw "Ryan" but that's it.

I don't want to see it again. I'll have to admit that I certainly was affected by its disturbing graphic scenes and came out of the movie house solemn and totally worn. But after a few hours I said to myself that what I had just seen was a very strong story told on a movie screen.

That said, let's get back to Babe Ruth.

This HBO offering is very good and you will enjoy the Ruth story as told by his daughter, Julia Ruth Stevens, Robert Creamer, Ray Robinson, Pete Hamill, Bill Mazer, Heywood Hale Brown, Tommy Henrich and others.

It is Creamer who says, "the true Ruth is bigger than the myth." John Kennelly, the radio announcer says, "He did everything to excess, the bad things and all of the good things too."

Tommy Henrich is a man who can still talk about baseball with the same boyish enthusiasm he's had all his life. The former Yankee known as "Ol' Reliable" tells us this: "Babe Ruth is the only guy that ever lived up to his reputation."

The country is on this Ruth kick because of these two reasons:

The current heavy onslaught on Roger Maris' home run record. It's not only Maris' 61 home runs (in 162 games) we think about. Automatically Ruth's 60 (in 154 games) comes to mind.

This year is the 50th anniversary of the Bambino's death.

There is a new book out on the Ruth. It's simply called, "The Babe" with a subtitle reading, "The Game That Ruth Built." This heavily-illustrated beauty is a joint effort by writer Lawrence S. Ritter and picture editor Mark Rucker.

The book totals 296 pages and there are many pictures in it that I've never seen before.

In it, oldtime sportswriter Tom Meany is quoted and it's worth repeating here as saying: "To really know what sort of man Ruth was, you have to understand that his affection for children was sincere.

"The Babe, for all his lusty living, for all his bluff and often crude ways, had ever a soft spot in his heart for kids."

That tells you a lot about this man who was king of all the ballyards those many years ago. No myth here.

Elfdood
08-31-01, 08:32 PM
I voted for Gehrig's four homers in one game. It's like the perfect game for a batter. Consider that it's been done about the same number of times as a perfect game, but there's 18 people a game who get a chance to do it, not two.

SkooterPhil#10
09-01-01, 01:49 AM
A four homerun game has only been done by three people. Gehrig was the first ever to do it. Pat Seery of Chicago did it in 1948 and Rocky Colavito of Cleveland did it in 1959. Nobody has done it since.

SanFrANSKY
09-01-01, 05:18 AM
Originally posted by SkooterPhil#10
A four homerun game has only been done by three people. Gehrig was the first ever to do it. Pat Seery of Chicago did it in 1948 and Rocky Colavito of Cleveland did it in 1959. Nobody has done it since.

Well, two guys did it in the Dead Ball Era. Also, Chuck Klein, Gil Hodges and Joe Adcock smacked four in one game during 1936-1954.

And since 1959 Willie Mays, Mike Schmidt, Bill Horner and Mark Whiten have each hit 4 home runs in a single game.

You probably meant only 3 people in the NL, but what can I say, I love this stuff!

Sincerely,

Frustrated AFLAC Trivia Wannabe

BobbyMurcerFan
09-01-01, 05:50 AM
Originally posted by Slippery Elm
You may want to consider a poll WITHOUT DiMag's 56, Babe's 60, and Maris' 61. I wonder what would win then.
My second place vote would definitely go to Reggie's HR's the WS.

bagger015
09-03-01, 12:18 AM
:NY: No Doubt...Joe D. 56 games...:)

deranged2005
09-03-01, 11:01 PM
56 hitting streak. Actually if he got a hit in the 57th game, he would have had a 73 hing streak. In 73 games, he hit successfully in 72 of them. wow, he's good.

LL78
09-05-01, 08:43 AM
I go with Mantle hitting the facade.Cannot believe there is no mention of Chambliss' shot that ended the WS drought and Dents homer that dented Boston for good.

nicky_d
09-05-01, 02:29 PM
Yeah, John Miller -- another "Horace Clarke Era" Yankee who really made it big! :D :D :D The only reason he was on the team was due to the September expanded roster. It's hilarious to see his name listed with the Yankee greats!! I'm sure John (wherever he is) and his family really appreciate him being mentioned along side these guys.......:D :D :D

BTW, I watched that game when John hit it out -- it was near the end of the season at Fenway, around 1966 or thereabouts...Rizzuto did his "Holy Cow" thing and said how John must be on cloud 9 after hitting it. Yeah, from cloud 9 to a crash landing of his baseball career! :D :D :D

John played in 6 games for the Yanks late in 1966, and bat .087. Beside the HR, he had only one other hit (single).

He didn't return to the majors until 1969, apparently needing the 2 intervening years to hone his batting skills in the minors. It really paid off, because that year he was called up by the Dodgers and played in 26 games. More importantly, he greatly improved on his BA, boosting it up to a whopping .211.

That's the sum total of his career folks........Monument Park awaits you, John....

:p :p :p

lbyankychk
09-22-01, 01:26 AM
Had to vote for Louie.....love that man! ;)

Luvtino
09-23-01, 02:16 AM
DiMaggio's 56 game hitting streak. Amazing.

coalcracker
09-23-01, 12:29 PM
Joe DiMaggio's 56 game hitting streak . He also scored 56 runs during that streak. I was married in 56. My house number is 56. I wish I was 56.

BTW, in a national poll I just viewed, Joe's streak was number 3, behind Cy Young's 511 career victories, and Cal Ripken's 2,632 consecutive games., on baseball's hardest to break records.

Some said to break Johnny Vandermeer's two consecutive no-hitters someone would have to toss a third. That's a good point.

jess2
09-23-01, 01:11 PM
Definitely Joe D.'s 56 game hitting streak.

jiffyjeff
09-24-01, 05:36 PM
what about Reggie?

three pitches

three swings

three in the seats

I have to pass on stuff I didn't get to see .....

jiffyjeff
09-24-01, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by coalcracker
Joe DiMaggio's 56 game hitting streak . He also scored 56 runs during that streak. I was married in 56. My house number is 56. I wish I was 56.

BTW, in a national poll I just viewed, Joe's streak was number 3, behind Cy Young's 511 career victories, and Cal Ripken's 2,632 consecutive games., on baseball's hardest to break records.

Some said to break Johnny Vandermeer's two consecutive no-hitters someone would have to toss a third. That's a good point.

those are all good points

jiffyjeff
09-25-01, 01:03 AM
how about Donnie's 10 HR's in 8 games?

West Texas
09-27-01, 04:46 PM
I voted for Joe D's 56 game hitting streak.

Sixty one
09-27-01, 05:03 PM
As the years go by, I think it has become even more apparent that Joe's 56 straight is the greatest not only in yankee history but all of baseball history. The last few years has shown that hitting homeruns is easier than ever before, but few players have even come close to Joe's 56.:NY: :NY: :NY: :D

ConnYankee
09-28-01, 07:27 AM
Bucky Dent's HR in Boston, October 2, 1978. The Red Sux have never recovered from it!

jiffyjeff
09-28-01, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by ConnYankee
Bucky Dent's HR in Boston, October 2, 1978. The Red Sux have never recovered from it!

I remember that game well, it was my freshman year in college, I was at a school that was pretty evenly divided between Boston and NY, it was a wild time in the campus pub that night

BTW, I live in east haven too

RogerRacer
09-28-01, 12:05 PM
Where's Reggie's three straight homeruns off of three different pitchers on three pitches? WOW! But the most difficult had to be Joe D's. 56.

bobdude57
10-13-01, 02:48 AM
I'd have to go with Joe D's 56 game hitting streak! But what about the 6 grand slams that Donnie Baseball hit in 1987?

joltingjoe
10-23-01, 09:30 AM
Hello all, I have to disagree with Jim Roche. Mickey's bomb off Pedro Ramos of Washington did go off the top facade of the upper deck but the one off Bill Fisher went to the back row of the right center field bleachers. I'll never forget Mel Allen saying that it went out of the stadium and Phil Rizzuto correcting him saying "no it didn't Mel".. I saw it on TV and it either hit the bottom of the advertising sign at the back of the bleachers or landed in the last row of the bleachers. Mick hit a lot of bombs. While stationed in Washington I saw him hit 3 homers in a doubleheader including one batting left handed to left field where it was over 400 feet down the line! And of course there was the one in Washington that traveled 465 feet OVER the bleachers in left and into a lot across the way. The Yankee PR man, Red Patterson, ran out and measured it and that was the beginning of the recording of "tape measure" home runs.

maris09
12-31-01, 08:51 PM
I voted for Maris' 61st homerun. All of those moments on that list are great, but this would be my number one choice. I mean, don't get me wrong, Dimaggio's hitting streak was amazing and perhaps is one of the few unbreakable records left in the game. But I put Maris in front of Dimaggio because of the circumstances he had to play under and the adversity he overcame. A lot of people brush off Maris' record now because it has been broken by McGwire and Bonds. But people also forget that Maris played in an older generation, one of better pitching, bigger parks, and less physical training. What the hell, in today's game guys like Maris, Mantle, and Dimaggio would also hit 70 homers in a season. Anyways, Maris gets my vote.

mr.roy
01-01-02, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by jiffyjeff
Indeed, jiffyjeff. He homered in 8 straight games tying the 1956 record of Dale Long.

On the D side of things in 1987 he had 22 PO in a 9 inning game tying another record for 1st baseman.

He also has the most Grand Slams in the month of July, 6. He's currently waiting for someone to tie that record. :)

Nome
01-02-02, 08:26 AM
Reggie's three HR's in one WS game has to be among the tops.

Sixty one
01-02-02, 10:36 AM
Jackson's record, of course, would have to rank right up there with the others, but I will still take Joe D's 56 straight and Donnie's eighth straight as greater accomplishments. Besides, I could never accept Jackson as a true Yankee. He should have gone into the Hall as an A's.:lol: :lol: :NY: :NY: :NY: :NY:

Nome
01-03-02, 09:33 AM
sixty-one,

I can almost understand your feelings about Reggie. He was a showboat who tried to dominate the clubhouse and with his well known feuds with Munson and Martin it is easy to dismiss him as a "true Yankee". But he was with us for a good bit and did contribute to our teams record. No, he was an A's but he was also a "Yankee" to me. How do you feel about Catfish Hunter? He was also an A's and came to us, like Reggie as a free agent, and while his best years were as an A, I will always consider him a Yankee.

Sixty one
01-03-02, 10:55 AM
Nome, you make a good point about Catfish being as much an A's as a Yankee. I guess I would have to say my feelings about Jackson are strickly related to players who are so egotistical that I can't stand them no matter what team they play for. I, of course did not have those feelings about Catfish who in my opinion got more out of his talent then a lot of other players and was a true team player!:NY: :NY: :NY: :NY:

Michaels07
01-03-02, 07:56 PM
To Michael Kay " No question Michael it`s Joe`s 56 game streak