PDA

View Full Version : best pitcher against yankees

jon1961
08-22-01, 01:07 PM
the best pitcher against the yankees was..................................................................Babe Ruth

Michaels07
08-22-01, 05:40 PM
Frank Lary with the Tigers is one that comes to mind.

Slippery Elm
08-22-01, 07:25 PM
Paul Splittorff certainly comes to mind. Royals a couple decades ago. Reggie's bete noire.

2JAY
08-22-01, 11:19 PM
What about Chris Michalak, Frank Castillo, Jose Lima, Darren Oliver, and Chris Holt? I know that they are more recent but Michalak was released so he's history.

Nome
08-23-01, 07:39 AM
John61,

What was Ruth's record against the Yankees?. I seem to remember reading that he still holds the record for the pitcher with the most wins against them at, I think, 19.

Is that right??

Danmel
08-23-01, 08:10 AM
Originally posted by 2JAY
What about Chris Michalak, Frank Castillo, Jose Lima, Darren Oliver, and Chris Holt? I know that they are more recent but Michalak was released so he's history.

michalik (sp?) ws picked up by the Rangers off waivers

koko
08-23-01, 11:30 AM
Chuck Finley
Teddy Higuera (sp?)
Bartolo Colon

husk
08-28-01, 10:27 AM
Frank Lary...........the Yankees were beaten when he picked up the ball in the first inning.

Jersey Yankee
08-29-01, 05:38 AM
Some Sox fans said that Pedro's 17K performance at The Stadium in '99 was one of the best there. Was it and how do other outings hold up against this?

Thanks.

Gehrig
08-29-01, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by Nome
John61,

What was Ruth's record against the Yankees?. I seem to remember reading that he still holds the record for the pitcher with the most wins against them at, I think, 19.

Is that right??

Walter Johnson was the biggest Yankee "killer" of them all...He beat the Yankees 60 times !! in his career :eek:

Lefty Grove 35 wins
Ed Cicotte 35 wins
Earl Wynn 33 wins
Hal Newhouser 33 wins
Red Faber 32 wins
Stan Coveleski 32 wins
Bob Feller 30 wins
Chief Bender 30 wins
Hooks Dauss 30 wins

And those are the guys with at least 30 wins against them...

Jersey Yankee
08-29-01, 06:27 PM
So how exactly do you have such an extensive database of Yankee greats and how would I acquire this? You seem more like a trivia source or confirmer than anything else. *WOW*

SanFrANSKY
08-29-01, 07:06 PM
Frank Lary was a Yankee Killer alright.

The Babe was 17-5 against New York ... and that was reason enough right there for the Sox to hold onto him.

David Wells could beat us by tossing his glove on the mound (13-5, 3.12) until the Yanks acquired him.

Gehrig
08-30-01, 06:24 AM
Originally posted by Jersey Yankee
So how exactly do you have such an extensive database of Yankee greats and how would I acquire this? You seem more like a trivia source or confirmer than anything else. *WOW*

:lol:

What my wifes call a great pool of worthless information...to her...

There are others in here that put me to shame...

CalifYanksFan
08-31-01, 03:37 PM
Chuck Finley isn't called the "Yankee Killer" for nothing. He can suck against just about everyone else, but he seems to have the Yanks number on most occasions.

LL78
09-06-01, 03:46 AM
Now that the pitchers are taken care of,what about the hitters.I remember in the 70's,and early 80's that Brett,Porter and Ted Simmons were big "Yankee killers". Anybody got the stats on these guys? It seemed that every time Darrel Porter came up, he did some damage.He was a 247 lifetime hitter and never had more than 20 homeruns in a season.Anybody got his stats against the Yanks? Simmons? Mr." Pine Tar "?

nicky_d
09-06-01, 04:45 PM
There was a hitter on the Indians by the name of Fred Whitfield who used to kill the Yanks at the plate -- during late 60's or early 70's.

Daily News cartoonist Bill Gallo once had a cartoon showing Frankenstein, the Wolfman, and Dracula approaching Yankee Manager Ralph Houk. Houk had no reaction -- then in the next frame, he shows Fred Whitfield, and Houk is shown shivering in fear!!

Shadowboxer
09-09-01, 06:13 AM
Troy Percival.

One of the prime reasons why the Torre's Yanks struggled against the Anaheim Angels.

Didn't the almost retired Charles Nagy give the Yanks fits?

Jersey Yankee
09-11-01, 04:00 AM
Originally posted by Gehrig
:lol:

What my wifes call a great pool of worthless information...to her...

There are others in here that put me to shame...Sorry for the very late reply (almost 2 weeks).

I guess some people are just sports junkies and others are addicted to it. Which reminds me, I'm going to have to get Sunday season tix in '02.

My knowledge is just tidbits which return to me after awhile. All would've been crystal clear by now had I just focused on the Yankees instead of just reading the sports pages. Oh well.