PDA

View Full Version : Best Post Season Performace

NetShrine.com
08-20-01, 11:08 AM
In your opinion, which Yankee had the best post-season performance ever? Reggie in 77? Doyle in 78? Munson in 76? Larsen in 56? Some other? What do you think?

Gehrig
08-20-01, 12:47 PM
Well, this is a really tough one...All of them and others played major roles in winning a WS Championship. But there are many others in a liong line of Yankee heros so I'll list a few...I can't choose just one...

1. Billy Martin - game 7 of the 1952 WS. Dodgers had the bases loaded, 2 outs and their most feared hitter up. A fly ball is hit and Martin saves the day with a shoe string catch as the 3rd Dodger was about to cross the plate !! Billy Martin hit .333 in WS play. His last 3 WS avg's were .500, .320 and .296
In 1953 he hit .500 in 6 games and got 12 hits. some of his key hits in 1952-53 included a 3-run game winning home run.. a three run game winning triple. and a one run Series winning single...And in 53 when he hit .500 and had 12 hits, he had 2HR's, 2 Triples, 2 Doubles to compile a .938 slugging % !!! AND he totaled 23 total bases !!

2. Tommy Henrich "Old Reliable" - In the fourth game of the 1941 World Series, Tommy Henrich, who just struck out, raced for first base as what should have been the game-ending pitch got away from Brooklyn catcher Mickey Owen. Instead of Brooklyn tying the series at two games apiece with a 4-3 win, the Yankees scored four runs to win 7-4 and take an insurmountable 3-games-to-1 lead.

In the 1947 WS he had 3 of the 4 game winning hits and got the game winning hit when he homered off Don Newcombe in the ninth inning to give Allie Reynolds a 1-0 victory.

3. 1996 - (Hey Wholers, if you're reading this, close your eyes... :lol: ) ... Jim Leyritz...nuff said here ...

4. Hank Bauer - Hit safely in a record 17 games and was very clutch.

Too many others to name...

djhitman01
08-20-01, 06:47 PM
Best postseason performence ive ever seen has got to be roger clemens 1 hit 15 strikeout performence versus the m's last year, man i didn't think he could pitch like that. Close second goes to the hit man, derek jeter, who killed the mets with his defense in game 1, and his offense games 2-5. Lets not forget derek jeter in game 2 versus the mets in the ws's went 3-5 and was the spark plug and nearly missed another hr by about 2 feet off the wall.

NetShrine.com
08-22-01, 08:00 AM
Overall, TM deserves some props.

In 15 World Series games played at Yankee Stadium, Thurman Munson batted .516 (32-for-62).

1TonHumanHamsterWheel
08-24-01, 12:30 PM
One of the best post-season performances I've seen was Scott Brosius in Game 3 of the '98 World Series. After Cone loses his no-no, Paulie makes a wild throw, and the Pads take a 3-0 lead, Scotty starts the Bomber scoring with a homer. Then in the next inning with two on and Trevor Hoffman pitching, he goes yard again to give the Yanks the lead for good.

bagger015
08-26-01, 06:56 PM
:NY: I guess technically it does not qualify for the postseason but who can or will forget Bucky Dent...:cool: :D

Jersey Yankee
08-29-01, 05:36 AM
As for Derek, I think that his 1st pitch HR started in Game #4 of '00 WS, when he did this against Bobby Jones. The Muts eeked out a W vs us, so Joe told him to send a dinger as a message. With the Shea crowd tasking Yankee blood on their hands, this certainly quieted them down.

Probably had the same offensive effect as when The Rocket knocked A-Wad off his feet twice with brushback pitches for trying to own the plate.