PDA

View Full Version : Lost a no-hitter

MLBfan
08-19-01, 09:34 PM
What was the year, and the name of the Yankees pitcher that lost a complete game no-hitter?

Gator
08-19-01, 09:48 PM
Hawkins, 1990?

SanFrANSKY
08-19-01, 11:21 PM
It was indeed Andy Hawkins, who pitched a no-hitter and lost 4-0 to the White Sox at Chicago, July 1, 1990.

http://cbs.sportsline.com/u/baseball/bol/chronology/1990JULY.html#day1

With two out in the bottom of the eighth, New York’s Mike Blowers misplays a grounder for an error, and Hawkins walks two to load the bases. Outfielders Jim Leyritz and Jesse Barfield drop back-to-back fly balls to allow all four runs to score. Ken Johnson in 1964 was the last pitcher to lose a no-hitter.

I mark this as the low point of Yankee baseball over the last 15 years.

Slippery Elm
08-20-01, 03:32 AM
I didn't consider eight innings a no-hitter then and I do not now.

MLBfan
08-21-01, 12:37 AM
Does anyone remember who that batter was that grounded the ball back to Blowers to start the 8th inn rally with 2 out?

He's a very famous active player today.

Gator
08-21-01, 12:48 AM
Originally posted by MLBfan
Does anyone remember who that batter was that grounded the ball back to Blowers to start the 8th inn rally with 2 out?

He's a very famous active player today.

Was it Sosa?

SanFrANSKY
08-21-01, 01:01 AM
Originally posted by MLBfan
Does anyone remember who that batter was that grounded the ball back to Blowers ...

Um, yeah it was Sammy Sosa.

MLBfan
08-21-01, 04:05 AM
It was Sammy

Chris
08-21-01, 07:45 AM
Originally posted by Slippery Elm
I didn't consider eight innings a no-hitter then and I do not now.

It's not a No-Hitter.
it was listed as a no hitter originally and he was given credit for a complete game No hitter, but then it was removed from the records for the exact reason that you give, he didn't pitch nine innings, it's not a complete game no-hitter

Danmel
08-21-01, 07:47 AM
Originally posted by Chris

It's not a No-Hitter.
it was listed as a no hitter originally and he was given credit for a complete game No hitter, but then it was removed from the records for the exact reason that you give, he didn't pitch nine innings, it's not a complete game no-hitter

It was also removed from Cooperstown!!

We were there in 1991 and Andy Hawkin's glove and ball were in a disply of no-hitters along with a picture of him and when we were there again in 1998 it was gone! The display was still there, but Andy and his glove and ball were not!
Hope he got up there and took some pictures before he was removed!!!