PDA

View Full Version : Erik Almonte is ready to contribute in 2002.

Michaels07
08-18-01, 09:12 AM
Almonte,signed as a F.A. out of the Dominican in 98 is currently hitting 291 after 86 games,302 ab.50 r. 88 hits, 18 2b,3-3b, 10 hr`s 47 rbi
He is going to hit for power and become a spectacular infielder with time according to Brian Cashman. Last year at Norwich,he hit 271 with 15 hr`s 77 rbi.He is currently the ss but could play third. Why not in 2002?

Elfdood
08-18-01, 11:22 AM
The amazing thing about Almonte is how much he's improved his plate discipline. Last season in Norwich and early this season in Columbus, he wasn't walking much. But now he has 41 walks in 302 at-bats, and he's got a very good .378 OBP to go with his great-for-a-shortstop .470 slugging percentage.

Since he was sent down to Norwich for a few games and then called back up, he's been much better in every phase of the game. Jimenez leaving also seemed to give him new life, as he became more confident that he has a real future with the Yankees.

se7ensamadhi
08-18-01, 02:21 PM
I'm pretty sure last year at Norwich he played a few games at 3B, so fi Brosius leaves, he may be an option to step in and play until Henson is ready.

Early this season he struck out a lot and made a bunch of errors, but seems like after his second stint in Columbus, he's been a different player.

Cparkergrl
08-19-01, 10:30 PM
Almonte is awesome, he really has come around this season. And he does have experience at 3rd base. I think he could be ready in 2002, if not right away maybe later on in the season. He definitely has what it takes. Not to mention he's a nice guy! I'd love to see him in New York next year.
Lisa

PinstripePride
08-23-01, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by Cparkergrl
Almonte is awesome, he really has come around this season. And he does have experience at 3rd base. I think he could be ready in 2002, if not right away maybe later on in the season. He definitely has what it takes. Not to mention he's a nice guy! I'd love to see him in New York next year.
Lisa
Danny? :p :D

pacewon
08-26-01, 07:46 PM
I think one more year in the minors will be required for Almonte.... But I can't wait until he is ready.

Mr. Mxylsplk
08-28-01, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by pacewon
I think one more year in the minors will be required for Almonte.... But I can't wait until he is ready.
I would imagine his window of opportunity in the Bronx is somewhat limited, with Jeter at SS and Henson the highly paid heir apparent for 3rd. Obviously you can never predict what will happen - Sori from SS to LF to 2nd - but I would have to think Almonte if he doesn't get some time next year in the Bronx, he may never get time in the Bronx unless Henson fails to impress.

Jersey Yankee
09-11-01, 04:40 AM
Is Erik related to Danny Almonte? I was curious how old Erick is.

Thanks.

Cparkergrl
09-11-01, 02:38 PM
I was wondering that myself. But I don't think Erick and Danny are related. You would have heard or read something that mentioned he had a brother playing professional baseball. At least that's what I think. Erick Almonte is 23 years old.
Lisa

JAZ
09-13-01, 06:54 AM
Cparkergrl, do you know from first hand experience that Almonte is a nice guy. Because I had a personal incident with him that led me to believe he is quite rude and immature.

Cparkergrl
09-13-01, 07:13 PM
Jaz, yes I have talked to him a few times over the past two years. He was very friendly to me. What did he do that was so rude? If you don't mind me asking...I'd like to know. From what I read from others he usually always signs. I never had a problem. I hope he hasn't changed.
Lisa