PDA

View Full Version : Stupid question about Nick Johnson

toots
08-13-01, 11:31 AM
Hi Guys, I am really curious as to why NJ is called The Stick. At first I assumed he was really thin, but having seen the pic here in the avatar section I see that he's quite stocky looking. I don't follow the minors, but you all are so excited about this guy I'm pretty curious about him now. Not sure if this really requires a new thread here, so move it if need be and my apologies about this being such an inane question, although any response would be appreciated. Thanks!

Michaels07
08-13-01, 11:39 AM
He stands like a stick at the plate ,upright.

toots
08-13-01, 11:58 AM
Thank you very much, I was kinda hoping it was because he had a hot bat, but I've been looking at the posts about him and see that's not the case (at least this year).

Gator
08-13-01, 02:01 PM
Honestly, toots, I think it's just because it rhymes with Nick. Kinda like Pat "The Bat" Burrell. :)

toots
08-13-01, 02:52 PM
uh oh, the plot thickens. Did he arrive with said nickname to Yankees' organization or was it bestowed upon him here? El Duque, if you're right about the rhyming thing, I hate to think what they're calling Chuck.

jroll
08-14-01, 05:53 PM
Nick J. is a great hitter. Hitters hit with bats. Bats are called sticks. Stick rhymes with Nick. Get it?

KDream
08-14-01, 07:47 PM
Originally posted by toots
uh oh, the plot thickens. Did he arrive with said nickname to Yankees' organization or was it bestowed upon him here
My sympathy is with you, toots:D
I am confused too. Whom should we believe?
His nickname is like his wrist injury -- a mystery!:D

Jim F.
08-14-01, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by toots
if you're right about the rhyming thing, I hate to think what they're calling Chuck. Probably a similar thing as what I call him ;).

-jim