PDA

View Full Version : Monument History

Gehrig
08-10-01, 01:46 PM
Since 1932, the New York Yankees have honored their all-time greats with the erection of monuments and plaques in the outfield section of Yankee Stadium.

On May 30, 1932, the first monument was dedicated to the memory of Miller Huggins, who died suddenly in 1929. The diminutive manager guided the Yankees to six American-League pennants and three World Championships in his 11-plus seasons.

The first plaque was placed on the center-field wall in April 1940, a tribute to Jacob Ruppert, the former owner who built Yankee Stadium and brought the tradition of winning to the Yankees.

Two more monuments followed in 1941 for Lou Gehrig and in 1949 for slugger Babe Ruth. Later plaques were placed in center field for General Manager Edward Barrow and the Yankees' two great center fielders, Joe Dimaggio and Mickey Mantle. Mantle's plaque was removed and replaced by a fourth monument in his honor in 1996.

Originally, the monuments and plaques were part of the playing field. The monuments and flag pole were located in straight-away center field on the warning track about 10 feet in front of the wall. Sometimes long hits and fly balls forced fielders to go through or behind the monuments to retrieve the long drives.

As much of a tradition as the monuments and plaques themselves was the policy of allowing fans to exit Yankee Stadium through the center-field gates via the warning track, pausing and reflecting on the achievements of these great men.

When Yankee Stadium was closed for renovations in 1974 and 1975, the monuments and plaques were relocated to an area off the field between the Yankee and visiting bullpens. However, fans were not allowed to exit via the warning track and viewing of Monument Park was only allowed at a great distance.

In 1976, two more plaques were added to memorialize managers Joe McCarthy and Casey Stengel. In the 1980's, plaques were dedicated to Yankee greats Thurman Munson (1980), Roger Maris and Elston Howard (1984), Phil Rizzuto (1985), Billy Martin (1986), Lefty Gomez and Whitey Ford (1987), Yogi Berra and Bill Dickey (1988), and Allie Reynolds (1989). In the 1990's, the Yanks dedicated plaques to former team captain Don Mattingly (1997) and the legendary "Voice of the Yankees" Mel Allen (1998) .

Plaques commemorating the visits of Pope Paul VI in 1965 and Pope John Paul II in 1979 were dedicated in Monument Park by the Knights of Columbus.

In 1985, after the left-center field fence was moved in, the Yankees again were able to open the Monument Park area for fan viewing. Long lines and increased fan interest caused the Yankees to move the fence in further in 1988 and expand the Monument Park area. The Yankees have included a special walk honoring those Yankees who have their uniform numbers retired.

Gone...

But NEVER forgotten...

YANKEE STADIUM'S FIVE MONUMENTS

MILLER JAMES HUGGINS
MANAGER OF THE NEW YORK YANKEES, 1918-1929
PENNANT WINNERS 1921-22-23-26-27-28
WORLD CHAMPIONS 1923, 1927 AND 1928
AS A TRIBUTE TO A SPLENDID CHARACTER WHO
MADE PRICELESS CONTRIBUTIONS TO BASEBALL
AND ON THIS FIELD BROUGHT GLORY TO THE
NEW YORK CLUB OF THE AMERICAN LEAGUE
THIS MEMORIAL ERECTED BY COL. JACOB RUPPERT
ELECTED TO HALL OF 1974
AND BASEBALL WRITERS OF NEW YORK
A MAGNIFICENT YANKEE
MAY 30, 1932

HENRY LOUIS GEHRIG
JUNE 19, 1903-JUNE 2, 1941
A MAN, A GENTLEMAN AND A GREAT BALL PLAYER
WHOSE AMAZING RECORD OF 2,130 CONSECUTIVE
GAMES SHOULD STAND FOR ALL TIME.
THIS MEMORIAL IS A TRIBUTE FROM THE YANKEE
PLAYERS TO THEIR BELOVED CAPTAIN AND
TEAMMATE.
JULY 4, 1941

GEORGE HERMAN "BABE" RUTH
1895-1948
A GREAT BALL PLAYER
A GREAT MAN
A GREAT AMERICAN
ERECTED BY THE YANKEES AND
THE NEW YORK BASEBALL WRITERS
APRIL 19, 1949

MICKEY MANTLE
"A GREAT TEAMMATE"
1931-1996
536 HOME RUNS
WINNER OF THE TRIPLE CROWN 1956
MOST WORLD SERIES HOMERS 18
SELECTED TO ALLSTAR GAME 20 TIMES
WON MVP AWARD 1956, 1957 & 1962
WHO LEFT A LEGACY OF
UNEQUALLED COURAGE
DEDICATED BY THE NEW YORK YANKEES
AUGUST 24, 1996

JOSEPH PAUL DiMAGGIO
"THE YANKEE CLIPPER"
1914-1999
RECOGNIZED AS BASEBALL'S "GREATEST LIVING PLAYER"
LIFETIME BATTING AVERAGE .325
WON MVP AWARD 1939, 1941, 1947
SELECTED TO ALL-STAR GAME 13 TIMES
AMERICAN LEAGUE BATTING TITLE 1939, 1940
ELECTED TO HALL OF FAME 1955
SET ON E OF BASEBALL'S MOST ENDURING RECORDS
56-GAME HITTING STREAK, MAY 15 TO JULY 16 1941
LED THE YANKEES TO AN INCREDIBLE NINE WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS
IN HIS 13-YEAR CAREER
A BASEBALL LEGEND AND AN AMERICAN ICON
"HE HAS PASSED, BUT HE WILL NEVER LEAVE US."
DEDICATED BY THE NEW YORK YANKEES
APRIL 25, 1999

Michaels07
08-10-01, 01:53 PM
The Yankee Hall of fame.

KLJ
08-10-01, 01:54 PM
this forum is quickly becoming my favorite..

Gehrig
08-10-01, 01:55 PM
When I die I might have Jim sprinkle my ashes in here... :lol:

JeanC
08-10-01, 01:58 PM
Thats Why I cant wait to visit the Current Yankee Stadium someday!

I hope Ferrar gets Mayorship I know Our Yankee Stadium WILL STAY PUT!!!

I want to See Rogers Plaque and the Momunments! It would be sooooo nice!

:D

SanFrANSKY
08-10-01, 02:16 PM
For a true Yankee fan Monument Park is hallowed ground, a place for inspiration and reflection.

However, my favorite MP anecdote is from Bob Costas. I'm going from memory here, so it's not an exact quote.

I was a little kid going to Yankee Stadium for the first time with my dad. We went to Monument Park and he showed me all the tributes to the great Yankee legends. I remember seeing all the flowers and the plaques and the marble. My dad said to me 'see that son, that monument is to Babe Ruth, and that one's for Miller Huggins.'

Well, I looked at these monuments and I got very quiet and respectful. I mean the monuments looked a lot like tombstones for the Babe, Huggins, etc. For years after that, I thought those guys were BURIED there.

husk
08-10-01, 02:43 PM
Thanks for a wonderful thread.

#1Coneyfan
08-10-01, 03:25 PM
What a wonderful post. Thanks for the history lesson!

I found out recently that the retired numbers were changed (perhaps when the Stadium was renovated?) and some of them were auctioned off. That would be a nice addition to my Yankees collection!

bagger015
08-10-01, 05:36 PM
:NY: Thanks for the wonderful and insiteful thread. Reading about the past is great. :NY: :D

Eddie160
08-10-01, 07:57 PM
Good thread I enjoied it alot.

NetShrine.com
08-10-01, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by Gehrig
GEORGE HERMAN "BABE" RUTH
1895-1948
A GREAT BALL PLAYER
A GREAT MAN
A GREAT AMERICAN
ERECTED BY THE YANKEES AND
THE NEW YORK BASEBALL WRITERS
APRIL 19, 1949

And before that date, by assorted hookers, gold diggers, and probably some teammates' wives. :evil:

Slippery Elm
08-10-01, 08:23 PM
When Yankee Stadium was closed for renovations in 1974 and 1975, the monuments and plaques were relocated to an area off the field between the Yankee and visiting bullpens. However, fans were not allowed to exit via the warning track and viewing of Monument Park was only allowed at a great distance.

You lost me here. In 1974 and 1975 the Yankees were at the old hellhole in Flushing - Shea Stadium.

Where were the monuments and plaques in '74 and '75? In storage??

Jimbo
08-10-01, 11:33 PM
Ahhhh Monument Park...

Jimbo
08-10-01, 11:34 PM
Donnie's Plaque...

penguin4
08-11-01, 12:48 AM
Originally posted by NetShrine.com

And before that date, by assorted hookers, gold diggers, and probably some teammates' wives. :evil:
:lol::lol::lol:That's bad...but hilarious nonetheless!:lol:
Reminds me of that story in Ball Four where the team bus is passing a building with a cornerstone that says "Erected in 1927" and Gene Brabender remarks, "Man that must've been some erection..."

Jimbo
08-11-01, 12:53 AM
Joe D...

NetShrine.com
08-11-01, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by penguin4
Reminds me of that story in Ball Four where the team bus is passing a building with a cornerstone that says "Erected in 1927" and Gene Brabender remarks, "Man that must've been some erection..."

Gotta love ballplayer humor! :lol:

#1Coneyfan
08-11-01, 12:34 PM
What artists do they get to make these plaques? If it didn't have Donnie's name underneath, I'd never know it was him!

fredgmuggs
04-12-09, 05:06 PM
I read this story in the CT Post about the Babe Ruth Monument at the Old Stadium and the CT monument company that was originally contracted to make it. I thought some history buffs might enjoy the story ----

Story of Babe's monument has local touch

....The monument for Ruth was supposed to be a secret. The Yankees and the baseball writers wanted to keep the construction and the delivery under wraps for as long as possible leading up to the Opening Day ceremony.

However, Torsiello couldn't keep quiet. He was constantly inviting kids into the shop to see how the construction was going. Kids would watch through the glass door leading from the office to the shop as Kuzer sandblasted and smoothed surface of the red granite slab.

"I remember they were all very excited (when the job came in). It was supposed to be a secret," Shirley Galuardi said. "People weren't supposed to know they were working on it, but Nick couldn't help it.

"Nick had dozens of schoolkids come in to look at the monument on display and he'd give them a little piece of granite and tell them that it came from the monument, which of course it didn't," Gerry Galuardi said. "Thousands of kids must think they have a piece of Babe's monument." ...

....Torsiello knew that making this monument was a big deal, so he did what any good business owner would do -- he marketed the heck out of it. He had pencils made with a small photo of the monument and the company's address on them. He also had playing cards and postcards made saying "Makers of the Babe Ruth monument" on them.

"My brother and I are kicking ourselves now because my dad used to come home with boxes of those pencils," Tom Galuardi said. "They are very rare and now worth like $100 on Web sites."

A Google search of "Babe Ruth pencil" brings up a Honeyspot Monument pencil being offered for sale by National Pastime for $95 each.....

http://extras.mnginteractive.com/live/media/site96/2009/0411/20090411__cp0412sptmonument~001_Viewer.jpg
^^^
"From left to right, Honeyspot Monument workers Dan Galuardi and Joe Kuzer along with an unidentified worker are shown with the Babe Ruth monument at the old Yankee Stadium. The intention was to keep news of the monument quiet while Honeyspot Monument Works, formerly located right on the Stratford-Bridgeport line, built it before the 1949 season. Instead, Honeyspot owner Nick Torsiello used the monument to market his business."

Complete story - http://www.connpost.com/sports/ci_12123634

ymike673
04-12-09, 06:50 PM
You lost me here. In 1974 and 1975 the Yankees were at the old hellhole in Flushing - Shea Stadium.

Where were the monuments and plaques in '74 and '75? In storage??

The plaques were taken off the outfield wall and the monuments before the last Yankees home series in 1973. The team feared fans would try to pry the plaques off the walls after the last home game. The plaques were stored in 1974/75 and put back when the renovated stadium opened in 1976.

penguin4
04-13-09, 10:37 AM
Holy old post, Batman! Were you digging through the archives all day, Muggsy?

[Incidentally, Someone should convince Phil (SanFrAnsky) to come back, BTW. He certainly has enough time to bug me every so often on facebook.;)]

fredgmuggs
04-13-09, 01:13 PM
Holy old post, Batman! Were you digging through the archives all day, Muggsy?

[Incidentally, Someone should convince Phil (SanFrAnsky) to come back, BTW. He certainly has enough time to bug me every so often on facebook.;)]
I read that story and thought I should post it in the history forum. Instead of starting a new thread that wasn't going to interest very many, I figured there had to be a monument thread already in existence. After about 15 seconds of using the search feature I discovered this thread.... and besides, digging up an old thread in the history forum seemed somewhat appropriate.

Sixty one
04-13-09, 03:27 PM
When I was a young boy around 1950, my friends and I thought that Babe Ruth was actually buried in centerfield and that was his head stone!

ymike673
04-14-09, 12:57 PM
When I was a young boy around 1950, my friends and I thought that Babe Ruth was actually buried in centerfield and that was his head stone!

Funny, I thought the same thing when I was a youngster.

Micky Rivers's Bat
04-14-09, 07:07 PM
What does Rizzuto's say?

Steve J. Rogers
04-14-09, 08:40 PM
What does Rizzuto's say?

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3265/2720938647_4fdfcef036_o.jpg