PDA

View Full Version : Who am I

Gehrig
08-10-01, 02:24 PM
I was one of the least heralded of the great pitchers, 187-117 in late teens through '20s. I threw together four consecutive 20-win campaigns for the St Louis Browns, including an AL best 27-12 in 1921. I had a very quiet, intense and serious demeanor. Although I was known as A finesse pitcher, I threw a legal spitball. I also had a bent finger from my days as a catcher which I think helped my pitching. I Spent 1925-28 with the Yankees.

Who am I ?

NetShrine.com
08-10-01, 02:37 PM
Urban Shocker?

Michaels07
08-10-01, 02:42 PM
Urban Schocker,Died 1929 Blood Poisioning?

CaptainCargo
08-10-01, 02:42 PM
Eddie Plank?? Nope. Urban Shocker it was.

Casey :NY:

Gehrig
08-10-01, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by NetShrine.com
Urban Shocker?

Hmmmm

I'm gonna have to get tough in here...:lol:

Urban Shocker...

Died in 1928 of a heart ailment, at age 38. Word has it that he knew he was a "dead man" in 1927 and STILL posted a 18-6, 2.84 ERA record in 1927 !!! Talk about a gutty performance !!!

NetShrine.com
08-10-01, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by Gehrig
I'm gonna have to get tough in here...

Google.com working against you.

husk
08-10-01, 03:23 PM
Was that Burleigh Grimes?

Patrick Walden
08-10-01, 06:19 PM
He also pitched 1916-1917 with the Yankees. He picthed one game in 1928.

Gehrig
08-11-01, 12:58 AM
Originally posted by NetShrine.com

Google.com working against you.

Ah yes...My personal favorite...however, I've got yellowed old mags and reprints that contain info Google will not help you with Grasshopper... :lol:

Timmer
08-11-01, 01:24 AM
Urban Shocker.

Slippery Elm
08-11-01, 01:30 AM
A story about Shocker is that he was too sick to pitch in the 1927 World Series, BUT was able to pitch batting practice. With perfect control he grooved pitches just where every Yankee wanted them - and the Pirates were intimidated to see all those balls flying out of the ballyard in BP. So Shocker helped in his own way. And then he died the next year. How about a plaque for the guy? His stats are similar to Hoyt and Pennock, and they're in the HoF!

penguin4
08-11-01, 01:42 AM
Urban Shocker... all the players knew he was going in '27, '28... his heart got so bad that he had to sleep sitting up. Funny, in '25 when the Yankees were trying to get him, the Browns at first wanted Gehrig (along with "Bullet Joe" Bush -- a team hothead and one of the few players with whom Ruth didn't get along) for him, as their all-star 1bman George Sisler was getting old. But Yankee management said no way, and were able to work around Gehrig for the trade...

Now imagine that.... maybe we'd be talking about the 23-time World Champion St Louis Browns (who never would've moved to Baltimore) if the Yankees had been so short-sighted....:eek:

Gehrig
08-11-01, 11:13 PM
Originally posted by penguin4
Funny, in '25 when the Yankees were trying to get him, the Browns at first wanted Gehrig (along with "Bullet Joe" Bush -- a team hothead and one of the few players with whom Ruth didn't get along) for him, as their all-star 1bman George Sisler was getting old. But Yankee management said no way, and were able to work around Gehrig for the trade...

Now imagine that.... maybe we'd be talking about the 23-time World Champion St Louis Browns (who never would've moved to Baltimore) if the Yankees had been so short-sighted....:eek:

Even scarier than that...In early 1925, the Yankees offered to trade Lou Gehrig straight up to the Boston Red Sox for first baseman, Phil Todt, to repay Boston for the blockbuster Babe Ruth trade a few years earlier. The Red Sox turned the Yankees down... :lol:

The Red Sox...unlucky AND stupid... :lol: