PDA

View Full Version : Historical Interlude # 1

Gehrig
08-10-01, 02:12 PM
Pinch-hitters shined in the 1947 World Series...

Cookie Lavagetto got the most memorable pinch-hit of that fall classic. His double, with 2 outs in the 9th inning of game 4, broke up Bill Beven's no-hitter and gave the Dodgers a 3-2 victory.

But the Yankees had their pinch-hitting heroes too ! In game three, Yogi Berra, a rookie, hit the first pinch-hit home run in World Series history !! !!

The "Golden Boy" tag, however went to another Yankee rookie, Bobby Brown. He hit safely in his three official pinch-hitting appearences to set a major league record for one series. In game 7 he doubled home the tying run for the Yankees and scored what proved to be the winning run of the Series.

In four World Series, Brown batted 1.000, .500, .333, and .357 !! His lifetime avg. in World Series play was .439, the all-time high for players who performed in three or more post-season classics.

Looking back upon his career. Brown might concur that he never scored a more important run in his career than the tie breaking one in game seven of 1947. The player who drove him home with a single, had three of the Yankees four game winning hits in the series (Joe DiMaggio had the other one). That same player drove in the game winning run in the first game of the 1949 World Series also. So, in effect, in four of the five Yankee wins during that span, he delivered the run that decided the contest...

Who was he ?

NetShrine.com
08-10-01, 02:19 PM
Tommy Henrich?

husk
08-10-01, 02:23 PM
I remember that Phil Rizzuto had an outstanding Series with the bat one year.......Old Reliable Henrich is a terrific guess, but I am going to guess the Scooter.

Gehrig
08-10-01, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by NetShrine.com
Tommy Henrich?

Old Reliable himself !!!

Tommy Henrich will be at the Ukrainian Cultural Center / 135 Davidson Ave. Somerset, New Jersey 12/2 2001 along with 'Bullet' Bob Turley, Enos 'Country' Slaughter, and others !!!

Come out and meet these Yankee Heores of the past !! I for one will be there !!!

NetShrine.com
08-10-01, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by Gehrig
Tommy Henrich will be at the Ukrainian Cultural Center / 135 Davidson Ave. Somerset, New Jersey 12/2 2001 along with 'Bullet' Bob Turley, Enos 'Country' Slaughter, and others !!!

Slaughter is 85. I wouldn't recommend missing a chance to see him now.

Gehrig
08-10-01, 02:54 PM
I met him earlier this year and have a ball and card signed by him...He is VERY alert moves around like a 50 year old !!!

Johnny Pesky is also going to be at this one so I want to get a ball signed by "The Mad Dash" man himself AND Pesky...The relay man that threw to home juuuust too late to nail Enos !!

husk
08-10-01, 03:35 PM
lol.......yeah, you can get some very heated responses from the Red Sox fans if you tweak them about Pesky holding the ball while Slaughter scored in '46.....I've seen the films and it seems to me like the blame should be on the other infielders who should have told him Slaughter hadn't stopped at third while Pesky's back was turned, taking the throw from the outfield.

Gehrig
08-10-01, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by husk
lol.......yeah, you can get some very heated responses from the Red Sox fans if you tweak them about Pesky holding the ball while Slaughter scored in '46.....I've seen the films and it seems to me like the blame should be on the other infielders who should have told him Slaughter hadn't stopped at third while Pesky's back was turned, taking the throw from the outfield.

You hit the nail right on the head !! Pesky in actuality was more stunned for a second when he looked at third and didn't see slaughter there !! Had the other infielders shouted that he's going Pesky might have nailed him...

On the other hand, since Enos had run through the stop sign, perhaps all were as stunned as Pesky...

Slippery Elm
08-11-01, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by Gehrig

Old Reliable himself !!!

Come out and meet these Yankee Heores of the past !! I for one will be there !!!

"Ukrainian Cultural Center"?? In Somerset, NJ?

Why there?

------------

BTW, Pesky hesitated only slightly with that throw. He didn't doze off.

Gehrig
08-11-01, 10:57 PM
It's really more like a recreation center...I've been there before. They hold the signings in the big gym...