PDA

View Full Version : Appreciate a response from anyone who saw Bill Dickey play.

husk
08-09-01, 03:10 PM
I was not fortunate enough to see Bill Dickey play.....I would appreciate any descriptions of him as a hitter/player that anyone who watched him would care to make. Perhaps, of the great Yankees, I know less of him than anyone.......Thanks.

CalYankeeFan
08-09-01, 03:41 PM
Wow, I think you'll have a hard time finding somebody who has actually seen him play. His last year was 1946, so I'd say the person would have to be around 70 years old to actually remember, and be willing to learn this technology. Not that its impossible, but improbable.

At any rate here's a link to his statistics from baseball-reference. I'd try to do a search and look for some quotes about him.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/d/dickebi01.shtml

Nome
08-09-01, 03:53 PM
Not me for sure. I first started following the Yankees in 1946 and saw my first stadium game in 1948. Dickey was a coach at the time and he helped Yogi to the Hall of Fame.

The last I knew he was still alive in Florida, anyone have any update. What a great offensive force was as well as a great defensive catcher, at least from all accounts I have read.

Michaels07
08-09-01, 04:02 PM
My first game was1939 what I remember most is Joe Di Maggio hitting a homer off Bob Feller.Tommy Henrich catching a fly ball in right and throwing a strike to home plate preventing a runner on third from scoring.Bill Dickey i believe hit behind DiMag.I recall a catcher with good left hand pop and great catching skills.:NY: :NY: :NY: :NY: :NY:

husk
08-09-01, 05:37 PM
Hi Michael.........I am excited to get a response from you...I know you had said you had seen Dickey play on another thread, but I didn't know if you would see my reply to that. If you can remember seeing players back to '39, you are going to be a great resource, if you don't mind.

So what you remember is a LH hitter with some pop, and a particularly good defensive catcher......so you think Dickey hit behind DiMag??...that's interesting, In fact, if you don't mind, what would a "typical" lineup for the Yanks in the early '40's have looked like?........Did DiMag hit 3rd or 4th?
Where did Gordon hit? and Heinrich? Who flanked DiMag in the OF?
Who played first?
I guess Rizzuto was the SS and leadoff......was Rolfe playing third then?

Hope you don't mind so many questions.....thanks for the answers.

CalYankeeFan
08-09-01, 05:52 PM
Well color me wrong..interesting posts for sure!! Thanks!!

Michaels07
08-09-01, 11:03 PM
Circa 1939
The Crow played ss Frankie Crosetti Led off.
Red Rolfe played 3b hit #2
King Kong Keller RF hit #3
The Great DiMag CF hit #4
Bill Knock Knees Dickey C hit 5th
Joe Flash Gordon 2b hit 6th
Jake Powell LF hit # 7th
Babe Dahlgren1st hit # 8
Monte Pearson P hit 9th.

Twinkle toes Selkirk was also on the team
Red Ruffing Good hitting Pitcher, I saw him hit a Grand slam one game.:NY: :NY: :NY: :NY: :NY:

Patrick Walden
08-09-01, 11:15 PM
Originally posted by husk
, In fact, if you don't mind, what would a "typical" lineup for the Yanks in the early '40's have looked
Who played first?

Looks like first base was an unsettled position through most of the 40's. Games played at first are listed (if I did my math right).

1940 Babe Dahlgren 154 Games
1941 Johnny Strum 124 Games
1942 Buddy Hassett 132 Games
1943-6 Nick Etten 564 Games
1946-9 Tommy Henrich 145 Games
1947-8 George McQuinn 232 Games
1949 Dick Kryhoski 51 Games

Michaels07
08-09-01, 11:55 PM
Nick Etten during the war years hit 22 hrs to lead the AL.
Johnny Sturm led off and played Ist in Cleveland when Ken Keltner stopped DiMag 56 game streak.

husk
08-10-01, 02:11 PM
Wow! What wonderful responses!.......thanks much for the "usual lineup circa 1939.....lol....why was Dickey nicknamed Knock-Knee?? I can imagine, but would appreciate a description.

I knew that King Kong Keller had been a force at one time, but by the time I started following, his skills had deteriorated. Actually never heard of the LF.....sorry to say.

The playing of the 1B was interesting...I did remember that Babe Dahlgren took over for Gehrig...after Gehrig took over for Wall Pipp. Remember reading something about most of the rest listed.

So DiMag hit cleanup.....I knew he would be 3 or 4.

Thanks for all the info.

#1PaFan
08-10-01, 06:21 PM
You might want to check out this link. It's a little bio of Dickey. BTW, Dickey was in the Pride of the Yankees (as himself, of course).

http://cbs.sportsline.com/u/baseball/bol/ballplayers/D/Dickey_Bill.html

bagger015
08-10-01, 06:40 PM
:NY: Thanks for the link. mighty useful. :NY: :)

husk
08-10-01, 09:13 PM
Thanks PaFan for that link........very, very enjoyable......you know, I didn't know that Dickey was as outstanding as he was...another great Yankee!

#1PaFan
08-10-01, 09:32 PM
You're very welcome Husk. :)

penguin4
08-11-01, 02:02 AM
Dickey, sadly, passed away in the fall of 1993...:(

Who played first?
And What's on second, I Don't Know's on third....