PDA

View Full Version : It was cold. But they won. (my writeup of opening day...)

ctan
04-11-11, 09:54 PM
Sorry it took me longer than usual to write up my Opening Day excursion this year. Usually I write it in the 4 hour car ride home, but corwin couldn't come with this year (work), so I had to drive solo.

So I went to Opening Day at Yankee Stadium this year, on March 31st. While I understand and appreciate that MLB wanted to start the year four or five days earlier, so that there would be no chance of having a World Series game on November 4th (grrrrrr…. the reason I wasn’t there to enjoy the Yankees’ victory in 2009 was because I was on an annual business trip that NORMALLY would not come close to conflicting), in April it’s always a statistics game with the weather man. Each day closer to May the chance of having a warm day goes up.

I’m not just saying that. I’m a SABR member after all, and part of what we do is analyze history based on the statistical record. Well, looking at that record, the chance for warm on March 31st in New York City was pretty slim. The normal low on March 31st is 39 degrees, the normal high 51. 51 would have been GREAT. However note that the record low for March 31st is 22 degrees. If you love graphs, check this one out that shows the steady march upward of averages from March 1st through 31st:

Read the rest at: http://www.whyilikebaseball.com/2011/04/cold-but-they-won/