PDA

View Full Version : Russell Martin Performance Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3

Yankee Fan in Boston
03-31-11, 04:14 PM
First Yankee hit of the year, first SB -- and no thread? I know everyone wants Montero to catch, but it was a nice debut for our new catcher.

CoyoteYankee
03-31-11, 04:21 PM
A fine job by Mr. Martin today.

Rocketbooster
03-31-11, 04:34 PM
I loved this signing and felt he was going to be very good; it's early of course, but the pitchers seem to love pitching to him. A catcher stealing 3rd base? Not bad.

hardrain
03-31-11, 04:37 PM
not bad for a Canadian...

YESSIR!
03-31-11, 04:51 PM
I'm loving this guy already. Seems like he has a really good feel for what his pitchers are doing, and what they should be doing. Coupled with good defense and a solid approach at the plate I think he's in for a promising year.

grizy
03-31-11, 05:06 PM
Good day offensively and he made catching look easy.

groovitude
03-31-11, 05:15 PM
I'm still trying to process the fact that our catcher stole third.

iYankFan4
03-31-11, 05:17 PM
Good day offensively and he made catching look easy.

A really good Yankees debut for him. I do love how he receives the pitches. He does make it look easy. I have a feeling the pitchers will love throwing to him.

b-ball-lunachick
03-31-11, 05:54 PM
I'm still trying to process the fact that our catcher stole third.

:lol: I know what you mean but should we be surprised with a guy named "Russell Nathan Coltrane Jeanson Martin". That's some name. :D

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/m/martiru01.shtml

THEBOSS84
03-31-11, 06:00 PM
I don't want to get ahead of myself, but a rejuvenation of Martin can lead to so many awesome possibilities.

Mr.Muhozi
03-31-11, 06:02 PM
I don't want to get ahead of myself, but a rejuvenation of Martin can lead to so many awesome possibilities.

Such as?

Yankee Tripper
03-31-11, 06:04 PM
Such as?
Josh Johnson in pinstripes? I can dream right.

dabomb2045
03-31-11, 06:04 PM
Such as?

The offense being unstoppable...esp if you were to add a comeback season for Jeter and Alex flashing some signs of his 2007 self to the mix.

kan_t
03-31-11, 06:13 PM
It may also lead to a possible nightmare for Montero's fans.

False1
03-31-11, 06:13 PM
I know it's only 1 game, but hopefully folks that freaked out when we signed this guy to a 1/$4MM deal with another year of team control enjoyed his performance today.

False1
03-31-11, 06:16 PM
It may also lead to a possible nightmare for Montero's fans.I doubt it. The Yankees control Martin for another year, right? If Martin is rejuvinated AND Montero proves he can catch this year, you can trade Martin for something of value and promote Montero, or you can re-sign Martin for another year and ease Montero in as the DH/BUC.

Yankee Tripper
03-31-11, 06:21 PM
Yeah he returns to 2007-2008 form and one of -

Martin is trade bait
Montero is trade bait
Both help the club

is likely to happen.

Yankee Fan in Boston
03-31-11, 06:57 PM
I know it's only 1 game, but hopefully folks that freaked out when we signed this guy to a 1/$4MM deal with another year of team control enjoyed his performance today.

I doubt it. The Yankees control Martin for another year, right? If Martin is rejuvinated AND Montero proves he can catch this year, you can trade Martin for something of value and promote Montero, or you can re-sign Martin for another year and ease Montero in as the DH/BUC.

There was no downside to that move. And the bonus is that the Red Sox really could have used him.

WebsterMulligan
03-31-11, 07:48 PM

Why on earth did the Dodgers get rid of this guy?

kan_t
03-31-11, 08:00 PM
Martin was going to make $5.5M-$7M in arbitration if the Dodgers didn't non-tender him. They wanted to bring him back at a lower price and made a similar offer to him but he chose the Yankees.

justtxyank
03-31-11, 09:46 PM
It's one game, so even though I was a strong supporter of this move I for sure am not going to be one of the ones saying I told you so.

Let's see how the season runs its course first. I will say that all the talk of signing him being stupid because you had Montero ready to be ROY and a good catcher and Cervelli being on the roster sure fell flat. Montero flopped as a catcher in ST and Cervelli is hurt...

flymick24
04-01-11, 03:18 AM
health is still a major factor with him... i think today, he was running on adrenaline

let's see how he holds up during the dog days, that is, if he makes it that far

goin for 27
04-01-11, 05:26 AM
health is still a major factor with him... i think today, he was running on adrenaline

let's see how he holds up during the dog days, that is, if he makes it that far

He did look good though....reason for optimism.

JOBA RULES
04-01-11, 09:00 AM

Did you see his #'s the last 2 years in LA??? Atrocious. It was one game lets see how he does over the course of the year shall we?

Tyler Durden
04-01-11, 09:13 AM
Did you see his #'s the last 2 years in LA??? Atrocious. It was one game lets see how he does over the course of the year shall we?

It is only 1 game but I don't see what's wrong with a little opening day optimism.

I hope he has many more games like yesterday for the Yanks.

JOBA RULES
04-01-11, 09:16 AM
It is only 1 game but I don't see what's wrong with a little opening day optimism.

I hope he has many more games like yesterday for the Yanks.

I was responding to the comment of why the LAD got rid of him.

As do I!

grizy
04-01-11, 09:39 AM
Dodgers did offer Martin 4 million before they non-tendered him and immediately signed Rod Barajas.

My guess is if they didn't have Barajas in the wings waiting to take 3 million and full time catching duties, they wouldn't even have blinked at Martin's demand for 5 million.

Martin had offers from Blue Jays and Red Sox as well.

Yankee Tripper
04-01-11, 10:18 AM
Yeah this is true but did you see his numbers the prior 2 seasons? Very good for any catcher and especailly good for one catching nearly 150 games a season while playing excellent defense.

I'll give him somewhat of a pass on last year due to injury but can't really excuse 2009.

I just hope they don't run him into the ground like LA did, even having him play 3B on his "off days" sometimes to keep his bat in the lineup.

If he can return to a 100+ OPS+ hitter, 10+ SB baserunner and catch 130+ games while at least slowing down the running games of Boston and Tampa, I'll be beyond thrilled with this signing.

TheGameEpisode2
04-01-11, 10:42 AM
Yeah this is true but did you see his numbers the prior 2 seasons? Very good for any catcher and especailly good for one catching nearly 150 games a season while playing excellent defense.

I'll give him somewhat of a pass on last year due to injury but can't really excuse 2009.

I just hope they don't run him into the ground like LA did, even having him play 3B on his "off days" sometimes to keep his bat in the lineup.

If he can return to a 100+ OPS+ hitter, 10+ SB baserunner and catch 130+ games while at least slowing down the running games of Boston and Tampa, I'll be beyond thrilled with this signing.

In 2008 he caught 1238.0 innings at catcher, while playing 71 at 3B. For comparison sake, Posada only caught about 1100 in 2007 when he had that ridiculous year. I know that there's an age difference...but still, that can't be good for the knees.

Brooklyn Yankee Fan
04-01-11, 11:11 AM
So, are we to expect to see Russell (attempt to) steal bases on the regular, or on rare occasion?

Yankee Tripper
04-01-11, 11:20 AM
So, are we to expect to see Russell (attempt to) steal bases on the regular, or on rare occasion?
He's stolen as many as 21 in a season though I'd guess if he plays a whole healthy season he'll probably be somewhere in the 10 - 15 range when all is said and done.

montrealer
04-01-11, 11:23 AM
not bad for a Canadian...

And French to boot....

BronxYanks45
04-01-11, 11:49 AM
I like the fact that he'll go and steal like that, no one expects a catcher to steal 3B

Melan-cynic
04-02-11, 05:15 PM
And this is why I laughed at the Cervelli lovers. He can't do what Martin can with the bat and Cervelli's glove was atrocious last year too.

THEBOSS84
04-02-11, 05:16 PM
Oh baby.

teknetic
04-02-11, 05:20 PM
He doesn't even have to hit for this signing to be a good one. Dumb GM's make signings like all the time.

dabomb2045
04-02-11, 05:49 PM
Didnt like the signing when it happened....but I of course hope to be proven wrong. He looks good so far.

THEBOSS84
04-02-11, 06:07 PM
And this is why I laughed at the Cervelli lovers. He can't do what Martin can with the bat and Cervelli's glove was atrocious last year too.

A funny tweet -

mikeaxisa (http://twitter.com/#%21/mikeaxisa) Mike Axisa

Russell Martin is now tied with Frankie Cervelli on the Yankees career HR list with one.

justtxyank
04-02-11, 06:09 PM

Cervelli never had Martin's upside. This was a smart chance to take because if it works you are getting production out of catcher with good defense.

kan_t
04-02-11, 06:48 PM
I love this signing from day 1.

Yankee Fan in Boston
04-02-11, 06:57 PM
I love this signing from day 1.

I never really understood what wasn't to like about it.

THEBOSS84
04-02-11, 07:01 PM

That Cervelli is better!!!!! (delv, you genius)

ring403
04-02-11, 07:04 PM
For some, it was not so much a matter of not liking Martin, but more wanting to see Montero fulfill his promise and become the next great Yankee catcher.

Of course it turned out Jesus wasn't quite ready for prime time, and with Cervelli's injury thrown on top, the Martin signing looks pretty smart, in retrospect.

Yankee Fan in Boston
04-02-11, 07:08 PM
For some, it was not so much a matter of not liking Martin, but more wanting to see Montero fulfill his promise and become the next great Yankee catcher.

Of course it turned out Jesus wasn't quite ready for prime time, and with Cervelli's injury thrown on top, the Martin signing looks pretty smart, in retrospect.

I never got that though -- all Martin had to do was show he was healthy and he was a great trade chip -- the only potential downside was his health. A decent catcher always has value.

Gigi Buffon
04-02-11, 08:22 PM
Russell stole some strikes today with his framing.

fredgmuggs
04-02-11, 08:24 PM
Sterling used Russell has Muscles as his home run call for Martin. Seriously, I'm not making that up.

JDPNYY
04-02-11, 08:27 PM
Sterling used Russell has Muscles as his home run call for Martin. Seriously, I'm not making that up.

I heard that. What a wacko.

Jersey Yankee
04-02-11, 11:19 PM
:lol: I know what you mean but should we be surprised with a guy named "Russell Nathan Coltrane Jeanson Martin". That's some name. :D

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/m/martiru01.shtml
Coolness. Now I'll have to call him "Russell Jean". :P

*runs & hides*

Jersey Yankee
04-02-11, 11:20 PM
Could that possibly be any worse than him singing "The Grandy Man Can"? I would think not.

ajra21
04-03-11, 05:30 AM

ditto. as soon as he was being discussed, i loved the concept of getting him. never thought he'd come to us cos of our catching depth but it was a good signing. personally i have no problem with him being our ctahcre going forward. of course, jesus needs to be given an opportunity but this move could give us 'good' options. never a bad thing to have.

BronxYanks45
04-03-11, 06:42 AM
already proving he's an upgrade over Cervelli, I like!!

delv
04-03-11, 09:04 AM
That Cervelli is better!!!!! (delv, you genius)

i never said this. obviously Martin's upside is higher, but dude's body may fall apart and Cervelli is underrated because of his high OBP, high BABIP, and low SLG. Younger age, Low salary, and elite defensive history. Not sure why I have to keep repeating myself.

awy
04-03-11, 09:06 AM
cervelli is always there when you need him (when martin falters)

grizy
04-03-11, 10:21 AM
cervelli is always there when you need him (when martin falters)

Not soon enough. Gustavo Molina makes me cringe.

ring403
04-03-11, 10:46 AM
http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/yankees/martin_influence_helps_righty_keep_lvd6NGQTnEdhe6LBxKfUMM

One scout said: "That hard breaking ball Burnett is throwing this year is so much more effective than the soft breaking stuff he was throwing up there last year."

It's much harder for the hitters to lay off the hard breaking ball, and clearly Burnett has more confidence in Martin blocking that pitch with runners on base than he had in Jorge Posada, who no longer catches. Martin is simply more agile behind the plate, and that allows Burnett to throw one of his nastiest pitches when he needs it most.

His relationship with Martin is vital to his success.

"When A.J. had that great year in 2009," one Yankee said, "[Jose] Molina did all the thinking for him and that's what made him so effective."

Burnett is building that same type of relationship with Martin.

yankee82093
04-03-11, 11:29 AM
http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/yankees/martin_influence_helps_righty_keep_lvd6NGQTnEdhe6LBxKfUMM

How was he throwing a soft breaking ball last year? What does that mean?

expectTHEunexpected
04-03-11, 11:46 AM

I think in terms of velocity. He was throwing mid-80s more along the speed of a change.

ring403
04-03-11, 11:47 AM
I assume the scout is referring to the sharpness of the break.

sweet_lou_14
04-03-11, 11:50 AM

I'm not on board with the implication that Posada is (any more than slightly) to blame for Burnett's poor performance last year. I feel that the piling on with respect to Posada (and Jeter) too often gets ugly and personal and goes beyond the true level of their respective defensive shortcomings.

That said, it's obvious that Martin is a superior receiver and I agree 100% that he will not only save Burnett a bunch of wild pitches but also improve his confidence in using the nastier breaking stuff.

ring403
04-03-11, 11:58 AM
I'm not on board with the implication that Posada is (any more than slightly) to blame for Burnett's poor performance last year. I feel that the piling on with respect to Posada (and Jeter) too often gets ugly and personal and goes beyond the true level of their respective defensive shortcomings.

That said, it's obvious that Martin is a superior receiver and I agree 100% that he will not only save Burnett a bunch of wild pitches but also improve his confidence in using the nastier breaking stuff.
I agree. AJ's problems were of his own creation, but for whatever reason, AJ and Jorge never established a comfort level with eachother either.
It certainly can't hurt AJ to have a catcher who he feels comfortable throwing to.

delv
04-03-11, 12:22 PM
I agree. AJ's problems were of his own creation, but for whatever reason, AJ and Jorge never established a comfort level with eachother either.
It certainly can't hurt AJ to have a catcher who he feels comfortable throwing to.

that article is utter bullcrap. Posada ONLY caught 38.1 IP of Burnett. Cervelli and Moeller together caught 148 IP of his terrible pitching.

THEBOSS84
04-03-11, 12:26 PM
that article is utter bullcrap. Posada ONLY caught 38.1 IP of Burnett. Cervelli and Moeller together caught 148 IP of his terrible pitching.

This x1000000

yankee82093
04-03-11, 12:51 PM
I think in terms of velocity. He was throwing mid-80s more along the speed of a change.

Burnet threw his curve last year with the same velocity he has always thrown it

yankee82093
04-03-11, 12:54 PM
I assume the scout is referring to the sharpness of the break.

Ok. But by no standard was his curve soft last year. The downward velocity his curve, from the perspective of the batter, was actually slightly greater in 2010 than before

delv
04-03-11, 01:02 PM
I'll say this: Martin looks better w/ the glove than I thought he would. real smooth and quick

THEBOSS84
04-03-11, 01:20 PM
I'll say this: Martin looks better w/ the glove than I thought he would. real smooth and quick

That one-hop catch and swipe tag at the plate was beautiful.

JBursch23
04-03-11, 02:30 PM
First three games, Martin has looked great offensively. He has seemed to hold his own defensively also.

ajra21
04-03-11, 02:52 PM
he's started well and i'm not surprised. he always had skills. a new start has obviously helped him. burnett's problem had very little to do with his catcher but i believe having a better defensive catcher can only help AJ.

Mr.Muhozi
04-03-11, 03:01 PM
Jesus who?

DontTradeMontero
04-03-11, 03:54 PM
He has been arguably our best player in the first three games.

However, like we say when a player slumps to start off the season, it's only been three games.

ajra21
04-04-11, 04:18 PM
Jesus who?

i've been saying that for years.

kan_t
04-04-11, 09:29 PM
Love the delayed steal.

ring403
04-04-11, 09:29 PM
I am liking the way he steals strikes for his pitchers.

False1
04-05-11, 12:26 AM
Agreed. I love Jorge as a player, but his inability to frame pitches was really frustrating. Good to see a receiver that can do that with a degree of effectiveness.

Ninja0980
04-05-11, 12:32 AM
Agreed. I love Jorge as a player, but his inability to frame pitches was really frustrating. Good to see a receiver that can do that with a degree of effectiveness.
And the baserunning...that was the only other thing that drived me nuts.

False1
04-05-11, 01:03 AM
And the baserunning...that was the only other thing that drived me nuts.Yeah, that for sure... and there were other things (e.g. standing up as a borderline pitch is being received) that drove me nuts... but all those were more than offset by his bat.

CalYankeeFan
04-05-11, 01:50 AM
And the baserunning...that was the only other thing that drived me nuts.

...for me, it was his running to the backstop to retrieve the ball he stabbed at..

NY Dude
04-05-11, 06:18 AM
The guy should be leading off. He has the most steals on the team. I don't know if that says anything good about the rest of our guys who are designated that role.

He has more hits than Gardner and Jeter combined. Not to mention as well as not having nearly as many opportunities to get a hit.

delv
04-05-11, 09:15 AM
The guy should be leading off. He has the most steals on the team. I don't know if that says anything good about the rest of our guys who are designated that role.

He has more hits than Gardner and Jeter combined. Not to mention as well as not having nearly as many opportunities to get a hit.

I'm glad you're not the manager, buddy

THEBOSS84
04-09-11, 01:41 PM
What a signing...

SLURPEE
04-09-11, 01:43 PM
Anyone know what Sterling said in French? Sounded funny.

I took 6th grade French but I'm not fluent. lol

teknetic
04-09-11, 01:48 PM
That pick on the ball in the dirt when the Sox were threatening was sick. He doesn't have to provide offense for the signing to be a good one so this is most definitely awesome.

Yankee Fan in Boston
04-09-11, 01:49 PM
What a signing...

I can't believe we got him for nothing.

THEBOSS84
04-09-11, 02:56 PM
Holy hell.

Metal 165
04-09-11, 02:56 PM
yeah, nice swing.

awy
04-09-11, 02:57 PM
would like to read this guy's autobiography. okay, maybe not.

Yankee Fan in Boston
04-09-11, 02:57 PM
Holy hell.

Funny thing is, I thought the Red Sox were surely going to pick him up when he became available. It made so much sense for them

Metal 165
04-09-11, 02:59 PM
i think he has another one left in him.can't wait for his next ab

THEBOSS84
04-09-11, 02:59 PM
Martin had 5 homers in 97 games last year. He's got 3 in 8 games so far this year.

THEBOSS84
04-09-11, 03:00 PM
Funny thing is, I thought the Red Sox were surely going to pick him up when he became available. It made so much sense for them

I guess there's no better way to make them regret their decision.

Jeepin'Yankee
04-09-11, 03:00 PM
Lovin' it.... Great Signing. So far...

Bub
04-09-11, 03:03 PM
Looks like Montero is going to have much more time that we thought to hone his catching skills in AAA. That's good, I suppose. Martin can really crush a ball!

NelsonMuntz
04-09-11, 03:04 PM
Godsend.

SLURPEE
04-09-11, 03:23 PM
Looks like Montero is going to have much more time that we thought to hone his catching skills in AAA. That's good, I suppose. Martin can really crush a ball!

Might be traded. :(

Jax Teller
04-09-11, 03:27 PM
What was that "Monseiur Martin" HR call from Sterling? He said something else afterwards & I missed it

NelsonMuntz
04-09-11, 03:32 PM
Might be traded. :(
I can't see Montero being traded for anyone but King Felix at this point. If they do (trade him for anyone else) they are idiots.

THEBOSS84
04-09-11, 03:35 PM
I can't see Montero being traded for anyone but King Felix at this point. If they do (trade him for anyone else) they are idiots.

I'd drive him to the airport for a select handful of other SP's.

Mr.Muhozi
04-09-11, 03:45 PM
I'd drive him to the airport for a select handful of other SP's.

Care to list them?

He's been great, hope it means Jesus spends more time in AAA to improve his catching skills and then martin can be traded for a good arm.

awy
04-09-11, 03:46 PM
if you are trading montero there is no point with him improving his catching. other taems will use him as a 1b or dh.

THEBOSS84
04-09-11, 03:48 PM
Care to list them?

He's been great, hope it means Jesus spends more time in AAA to improve his catching skills and then martin can be traded for a good arm.

Lester
Kershaw
Lincecum
Price
Verlander
J Johnson
Strassburg
Hanson
Latos

Just to name a few...

kan_t
04-09-11, 03:49 PM
Josh Johnson?

Mr.Muhozi
04-09-11, 03:53 PM
Lester
Kershaw
Lincecum
Price
Verlander
J Johnson
Strassburg
Hanson
Latos

Just to name a few...

A lot of those on the list would not be traded, and some, even if they were traded, would cost the far. Would love to have either Lincecum or Kershaw on this team mind you.

THEBOSS84
04-09-11, 03:55 PM
A lot of those on the list would not be traded, and some, even if they were traded, would cost the far. Would love to have either Lincecum or Kershaw on this team mind you.

Ok, but the post I was initially responding to said it would be idiotic to trade Jesus for a pitcher not named Felix. Felix isn't being traded either.

R.V.47
04-09-11, 03:56 PM

If they have a chance to get a top of the line starter than they trade him in a second. Not because Russel Martin is hitting well I doubt he will keep up this pace but moreso because offense is not this teams problem but the rotation issue is glaring. Besides, Montero may have a long way to go before he can be an ML catcher and hes not playing first for the yanks, plus I doubt with the age on this squad theyd want a 21 year old DH.

Ninja0980
04-09-11, 03:56 PM
Given the status of the Dodgers, Kershaw may very well happen someday.

Mr.Muhozi
04-09-11, 04:05 PM
Given the status of the Dodgers, Kershaw may very well happen someday.

I watched him against the Giants for the Dodgers home opener. He was amazing that night. Made me salivate when I remembered the quote Martin had when he said Banuelos was Kershaw with better command.

awy
04-09-11, 04:09 PM
yea you must remember to take that comment with a grain of salt. to keep the bedbugs away or something

Mr.Muhozi
04-09-11, 04:17 PM
I know, I know, but still it's pretty nice to imagine the thought of Banuelos being a better version of Kershaw.

gold23
04-09-11, 04:50 PM
Lester
Kershaw
Lincecum
Price
Verlander
J Johnson
Strassburg
Hanson
Latos

Just to name a few...

There are at least a dozen more, too... As great a prospect as Montero is, he's still a prospect. Look at the top 5 prospects every year in all of baseball and see how many never turn into stars. If you could get a top of the line starting pitcher under contract for ANY prospect, it's generally worth doing. Especially when your starting pitching is as big a question mark as the Yankees' currently is.

teknetic
04-09-11, 04:53 PM
You can't really compare Montero to just "every top 5 prospect." When have you heard any scouting reports question his bat?

kan_t
04-09-11, 07:38 PM
You can't really compare Montero to just "every top 5 prospect." When have you heard any scouting reports question his bat?
I don't remember anyone questioning Wieters' bat when he came up. I like Montero. But he's not a sure thing.

ppa79
04-09-11, 07:41 PM
I don't remember anyone questioning Wieters' bat when he came up. I like Montero. But he's not a sure thing.

You got a good point there. Wieters was a can't miss but doesn't look like he can cut it in the majors.

yankee82093
04-09-11, 07:41 PM

Why? For what reason is he a fundamentally different player from other top 5 prospects?

teknetic
04-09-11, 08:45 PM
I don't consider every top 5 prospect a once in a generation type player like Montero. He's always been an advanced hitter for his age.

There's also bias.

NelsonMuntz
04-09-11, 09:35 PM
Josh Johnson?
I thought he signed a 3 year extension with the Marlins. Otherwise, yes I would add him to the extremely short list of players I would trade Montero for.

NelsonMuntz
04-09-11, 09:45 PM
Ok, but the post I was initially responding to said it would be idiotic to trade Jesus for a pitcher not named Felix. Felix isn't being traded either.
That's not what I meant. I should have specified that I was speaking within the context of front line starters who could conceivably be available this year. Sure, hypothetically I would absolutely consider trading Montero for Lester, Lincecum, Strasburg or Verlander but none of those guys are getting traded. Hernandez likely isn't going anywhere either but at least it's within the realm of possibility.

Bub
04-09-11, 09:49 PM
Pardon me, is this the Russell Martin Performance Thread?

NewEraYanks2527
04-09-11, 10:12 PM
Russell Martin is one of my new favorite players. Smashing the ball against the Sox willd do that, keep it up Russell!

Yankee Fan in Boston
04-09-11, 10:16 PM
I thought he signed a 3 year extension with the Marlins. Otherwise, yes I would add him to the extremely short list of players I would trade Montero for.

That's not what I meant. I should have specified that I was speaking within the context of front line starters who could conceivably be available this year. Sure, hypothetically I would absolutely consider trading Montero for Lester, Lincecum, Strasburg or Verlander but none of those guys are getting traded. Hernandez likely isn't going anywhere either but at least it's within the realm of possibility.

Hernandez has one more year on his contract than Johnson does -- I don't see why Hernandez is any more likely to be available than Johnson.

Ninja0980
04-10-11, 06:57 AM
Hopefully once Cervelli heals Martin will be allowed to have a day or two off. I like what I see but a day off here and there to keep him healthy would be great.

JohnnyEllis
04-10-11, 07:52 AM
Nice Q&A with Serby:

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/yankees/serby_sunday_with_russell_martin_HhkjXSfcijTARmpXw9c68K

NelsonMuntz
04-10-11, 08:12 AM
Hernandez has one more year on his contract than Johnson does -- I don't see why Hernandez is any more likely to be available than Johnson.
Right, so Felix likely isn't going anywhere either. So to my original point, I don't think Montero will be traded.

To keep this thread on topic, keep up the good work Russell.

Huktonfonix
04-10-11, 08:22 AM
There's plenty of room for both Montero and Martin on this team next year. Martin is awesome behind the plate, but got Joe Torre'd the last few years and needs days off to stay healthy. He's also a pretty good 3B and could be used to give Arod DH days when Montero catches.

Sharona1975
04-10-11, 08:53 AM
There's plenty of room for both Montero and Martin on this team next year. Martin is awesome behind the plate, but got Joe Torre'd the last few years and needs days off to stay healthy. He's also a pretty good 3B and could be used to give Arod DH days when Montero catches.
How's that?

Blazer
04-10-11, 08:55 AM
...but got Joe Torre'd the last few years ...

And nobody Joe Torre's 'em quite like Joe himself.

NewEraYanks2527
04-10-11, 09:01 AM
Right, so Felix likely isn't going anywhere either. So to my original point, I don't think Montero will be traded.

To keep this thread on topic, keep up the good work Russell.

Johnson's contract is much more friendly than Felix over the next several years which I think makes him less likely to go anywhere any time soon.

I too hope Cervelli gets back soon to give Martin a day off so he can stay fresh, is Jorge catching completely off the table?

sweet_lou_14
04-10-11, 09:35 AM
is Jorge catching completely off the table?

It shouldn't be, but it seems to be.

I don't see a problem with putting Posada at C every 5 days while Cervelli is hurt -- it has the additional benefit of giving more ABs to Eric Chavez. But they didn't let him catch a single inning in Spring Training. Ridiculously short-sighted -- I don't know why in the world you'd ever want to reduce the flexibility of your roster like that, even if some of the options are considered last resorts (e.g. Swisher at 1B or Jones at CF).

Yankees1962
04-10-11, 09:47 AM

I don't see a problem with putting Posada at C every 5 days while Cervelli is hurt -- it has the additional benefit of giving more ABs to Eric Chavez. But they didn't let him catch a single inning in Spring Training. Ridiculously short-sighted -- I don't know why in the world you'd ever want to reduce the flexibility of your roster like that, even if some of the options are considered last resorts (e.g. Swisher at 1B or Jones at CF).
Maybe, it's a little more complicated than that.

Bub
04-10-11, 09:48 AM

I don't see a problem with putting Posada at C every 5 days while Cervelli is hurt -- it has the additional benefit of giving more ABs to Eric Chavez. But they didn't let him catch a single inning in Spring Training. Ridiculously short-sighted -- I don't know why in the world you'd ever want to reduce the flexibility of your roster like that, even if some of the options are considered last resorts (e.g. Swisher at 1B or Jones at CF).It is very puzzling. If Martin goes down with an injury late in the year and the likes of a Molina or Cervelli are not available for some reason, why completely remove Posada from catching for what could be the stretch run or playoffs and instead start someone who may not be able to handle the pressure, not to mention the pitching staff? At a minimum I'd like them to tell Posada he'll catch 10 games so he keeps his skills from getting too dusty, but they're more concerned with his mental approach to DH'ing and don't want to mess that up.

Rocketbooster
04-10-11, 09:54 AM
http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/yankees/serby_sunday_with_russell_martin_HhkjXSfcijTARmpXw9c68K/0

I love these Q & A’s and Martin’s was no different – love him. His comment about Mo being an alien are spot on, I think – and I loved what he had to say about the Yankee and Dodger ways. Of course, it’s interesting that the Sox were more concerned about the injury and less willing to take a chance on him even though they really had nothing to lose

steveo_88
04-10-11, 09:57 AM
Its great that Martin is not only catching so well but hitting and stealing! However when Cervelli comes back does he get the benefit of the doubt and is reinstalled as the catcher or does Cervelli back up the in form Martin?

Rocketbooster
04-10-11, 09:59 AM

I have a huge problem with it when it's clear that Jorge has had numerous concussions and his reaction time has already been effected. Bob Klapisch wrote a big article about it in ST - given how the late Dave Duerson suffered from brain trauma and how others have as well, the Yankees clearly have Jorge's bests interests at heart and I think Joroge knows that. I have no desire to read about Jorge, after his playing days are over, having any sort of issues like that.

Sharona1975
04-10-11, 10:15 AM
I don't think that Jorge would have any problem if he suddenly had to fill in behind the plate. Well, no more problem than he had back there last year.

Yankees1962
04-10-11, 11:24 AM
I have a huge problem with it when it's clear that Jorge has had numerous concussions and his reaction time has already been effected. Bob Klapisch wrote a big article about it in ST - given how the late Dave Duerson suffered from brain trauma and how others have as well, the Yankees clearly have Jorge's bests interests at heart and I think Joroge knows that. I have no desire to read about Jorge, after his playing days are over, having any sort of issues like that.
Betsy, I think that's it too which is why he might play 1st, but not catcher.

ArodEra
04-10-11, 11:36 AM
Its great that Martin is not only catching so well but hitting and stealing! However when Cervelli comes back does he get the benefit of the doubt and is reinstalled as the catcher or does Cervelli back up the in form Martin?

Cervelli was and will always be a backup catcher on this team, barring any injury to whomever the first-string catcher is, this year Martin.

delv
04-10-11, 11:52 AM
http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/yankees/serby_sunday_with_russell_martin_HhkjXSfcijTARmpXw9c68K/0

wow, great interview. had no idea about his mental/commitment issues before.

edit: also wasn't cognizant that the concussion issues were such a big deal w/ Jorge. thanks, RB

89FoxBody
04-10-11, 02:08 PM
Rachel McAdams? Very good taste if I do say so myself.

dave8274
04-10-11, 02:15 PM

I don't see it. If Martin continues to do well, I think they would have to trade Montero. You aren't going to trade a productive catcher in Martin to promote a sure thing, and I would have to assume they would get more value out of Montero in a trade than as a full time DH. Then again, maybe not, if other teams think he's a full time DH also.

Rocketbooster
04-10-11, 02:43 PM
Betsy, I think that's it too which is why he might play 1st, but not catcher.

Yep......I admire the Yankees for taking Jorge's well-being into account and not doing the easy thing, which would be to play him at times.

bmxstreetrider86
04-10-11, 03:08 PM
I don't see it. If Martin continues to do well, I think they would have to trade Montero. You aren't going to trade a productive catcher in Martin to promote a sure thing, and I would have to assume they would get more value out of Montero in a trade than as a full time DH. Then again, maybe not, if other teams think he's a full time DH also.

If you think that you "have to" trade anyone, you are setting yourself up for failure.

Huktonfonix
04-10-11, 03:18 PM
How's that?

Martin's knees and hips got the same treatment as the elbows and shoulders of Paul Quantrill, Scott Proctor, and Tanyon Sturtze.

Sharona1975
04-10-11, 03:33 PM
Martin's knees and hips got the same treatment as the elbows and shoulders of Paul Quantrill, Scott Proctor, and Tanyon Sturtze.
Eh. Yeah, he caught 155 in 2008 but 143 in 2009 is not that out of line for a young catcher and then his 2010 was cut short by a base running injury. I'm not seeing a lot of Torre-induced damage there.

ymike673
04-11-11, 10:50 AM
Martin is 28. If he returns completely to his pre-injury form it might be a good idea to keep him and use Montero and Romine to trade for a starting pitcher. Russell could be a solid catcher for at least the next 6 to 7 seasons if healthy.

justtxyank
04-11-11, 11:01 AM
I've never understood why it's catcher or trade for Montero.

All that I've ever heard is that he's projected to be an elite hitter. Not an elite hitting catcher, but an elite hitter who can catch. A guy like a Piazza.

If that's the case, trading him away for a pitcher is a mistake unless the pitcher is elite ace quality.

We are paying Posada $12 million to be our DH this year and we pay other "elite hitters" huge dollars. I'd be thrilled if Martin returns to form, stays healthy and is our catcher next year for ~$5 million and we get elite offense out of DH for the minimum. Then you can use Montero as a backup catcher as well. There is no value lost there.

goin for 27
04-11-11, 11:13 AM
Martin is 28. If he returns completely to his pre-injury form it might be a good idea to keep him and use Montero and Romine to trade for a starting pitcher. Russell could be a solid catcher for at least the next 6 to 7 seasons if healthy.

I agree, just hoping we don't run him into the ground. He looks great, but coming off injury, he should get regular rest. Fact that he is the only catcher in the league to catch every game so far - not a category I want to see him leading....

ymike673
04-11-11, 11:13 AM
I've never understood why it's catcher or trade for Montero.

All that I've ever heard is that he's projected to be an elite hitter. Not an elite hitting catcher, but an elite hitter who can catch. A guy like a Piazza.

If that's the case, trading him away for a pitcher is a mistake unless the pitcher is elite ace quality.

We are paying Posada $12 million to be our DH this year and we pay other "elite hitters" huge dollars. I'd be thrilled if Martin returns to form, stays healthy and is our catcher next year for ~$5 million and we get elite offense out of DH for the minimum. Then you can use Montero as a backup catcher as well. There is no value lost there.

The problem with Montero is you would not want him as a backup catcher at his age. Normally you would think of converting him to 1B but the Yankees are set at that spot with Tex. And the Yankees would rather have one of their aging veterans fill the DH spot for the next few seasons. Martin was one of the top catchers in baseball before his injuries. If he comes back to that level he will be a better choice to be the regular catcher than Montero will be. Now if Russell does not return to his old form than Montero gets his shot.

justtxyank
04-11-11, 11:21 AM
The problem with Montero is you would not want him as a backup catcher at his age. Normally you would think of converting him to 1B but the Yankees are set at that spot with Tex. And the Yankees would rather have one of their aging veterans fill the DH spot for the next few seasons. Martin was one of the top catchers in baseball before his injuries. If he comes back to that level he will be a better choice to be the regular catcher than Montero will be. Now if Russell does not return to his old form than Montero gets his shot.

"One of their aging veterans..." the only veteran on the team that is aging that can hit enough for DH is A-Rod, and it doesn't seem like he needs to go there anytime soon for more than "half days off."

Derek Jeter will never hit enough to be a DH, Tex plays great at first. What other veteran makes sense as a DH? Would you rather pay someone $5 million to come be your DH next year (say Posada, ugh) or let Montero give you that production for the minimum and invest the money somewhere else? Montero can then catch part time as well and maybe he gets to where he replaces Martin after next year.

grizy
04-11-11, 11:27 AM
A 1B that can hit is worth more than a DH that can hit.

So if Montero can't catch, he's worth more to another team that has PAs for him at 1B. It's not difficult to understand why other teams might want Montero more than we do.

The tricky part is getting another team to pay up. If they won't pay fair value, obviously we shouldn't trade. But if they are willing to offer us something good in return, pull the trigger.

No, I don't think we NEED a Felix, JJ or even Kershaw in return, depending on rest of the package.

justtxyank
04-11-11, 11:57 AM
A 1B that can hit is worth more than a DH that can hit.

So if Montero can't catch, he's worth more to another team that has PAs for him at 1B. It's not difficult to understand why other teams might want Montero more than we do.

The tricky part is getting another team to pay up. If they won't pay fair value, obviously we shouldn't trade. But if they are willing to offer us something good in return, pull the trigger.

No, I don't think we NEED a Felix, JJ or even Kershaw in return, depending on rest of the package.

"Value" is being overrated. If we aren't getting an ace in a deal for Montero what have we accomplished? We'll have to pay someone to be our DH. Why not just pay someone to be that non-elite level talent that we traded for instead?

grizy
04-11-11, 12:10 PM
Because even a non-elite starter (think Haren, AJ, Buehrle, Lackey, or any No. 2 or 3 types you want) costs more than twice as much as a good DH (think Vlad, Matsui or even a healthy NJ).

That and there are fewer of them to pick up.

Huktonfonix
04-11-11, 12:12 PM
I think Joba Chamberlain is pretty clear evidence that the Yankees organizational philosophy is not "we must trade anyone we're not using to their fullest potential."

Besides, the Yankees only control Martin for 2 years, no? He's not blocking Montero right now. A lousy first half last year and a rotten spring training this year demonstrated that Montero could use more time in AAA. Even if the bat was ready, we know the glove isn't yet. And even if his performance did call for a spot on the MLB roster right now, it would be foolish to expect him to be the fulltime catcher in his first season.

If we're really, really lucky, Martin will stay healthy for 2 years and be the all-star player he was a couple seasons ago and Montero will be unstoppable at the plate and ready to catch 120 games next season.

I don't think anyone is going to rush to dump our top prospect because of fear that we might have two catchers putting up 850+ OPS's and a half season too few AB's for them.

justtxyank
04-11-11, 12:25 PM
Because even a non-elite starter (think Haren, AJ, Buehrle, Lackey, or any No. 2 or 3 types you want) costs more than twice as much as a good DH (think Vlad, Matsui or even a healthy NJ).

That and there are fewer of them to pick up.

Right, but you can get one of those guys in FA most likely. Why trade a player you need to replace for a guy with a contract that's big already?

Not to mention a guy like Haren for Montero would be an overpay considering the going rate for starters like that.

ymike673
04-11-11, 01:03 PM
I think Joba Chamberlain is pretty clear evidence that the Yankees organizational philosophy is not "we must trade anyone we're not using to their fullest potential."

Besides, the Yankees only control Martin for 2 years, no? He's not blocking Montero right now. A lousy first half last year and a rotten spring training this year demonstrated that Montero could use more time in AAA. Even if the bat was ready, we know the glove isn't yet. And even if his performance did call for a spot on the MLB roster right now, it would be foolish to expect him to be the fulltime catcher in his first season.

If we're really, really lucky, Martin will stay healthy for 2 years and be the all-star player he was a couple seasons ago and Montero will be unstoppable at the plate and ready to catch 120 games next season.

I don't think anyone is going to rush to dump our top prospect because of fear that we might have two catchers putting up 850+ OPS's and a half season too few AB's for them.

Not dumping on Montero but what happens if Russell gives us two all star type seasons. Defensively he is better than Montero. Montero is really too young to be a full-time DH.

grizy
04-11-11, 01:09 PM
Right, but you can get one of those guys in FA most likely. Why trade a player you need to replace for a guy with a contract that's big already?

Not to mention a guy like Haren for Montero would be an overpay considering the going rate for starters like that.

If second tier FA starters were easy to come by, our rotation would be in better situation right now.

Good DHs (or 1Bs/corner OFs) however hit FA just about every year.

Huktonfonix
04-11-11, 01:22 PM
Not dumping on Montero but what happen if Russell gives us two all star type seasons. Defensively he is better than Montero. Montero is really two young to be a full-time DH.

No matter what, Montero would not have been the full-time C this season. Martin has nothing to do with where he plays. Posada and Molina/Cervelli are the ones blocking him right now. I'd be surprised if any of those 3 are with the team next year.

Even if we've got 2 all-star caliber catchers deserving of a starting job next year, one is a kid and the other has had injury problems. Figure 120 starts each is probably a good number. If Montero performs so well that he deserves to start 120 games next season, we're not trading 6 seasons and 900 games of his bat because we can't find him 78 games behind the plate.

grizy
04-11-11, 01:25 PM
PS: I agree with everything Huk is saying. But if someone is willing to pony up for Montero, especially with a SP that can help us now, we have to consider it.

awy
04-11-11, 01:37 PM
the now is not all that interesting. i'm already looking forward to next year.

Ninja0980
04-12-11, 06:42 AM
PS: I agree with everything Huk is saying. But if someone is willing to pony up for Montero, especially with a SP that can help us now, we have to consider it.
He best be a pretty darn good SP.

BRNXBMRS
04-12-11, 09:40 AM
Interesting thought.

I wish I could say this other thought about Martin came from my brain. But I have to give credit to a reader, David Goldstein, who works for KCBS-TV in Los Angeles. He emailed me and asked “Is Martin the new Scott Brosius?”
Remember that when the Yankees obtained Brosius from Oakland before the 1998 season it was mainly to dump Kenny Rogers and to create a stopgap because they believed Mike Lowell (http://www.nypost.com/t/Mike_Lowell) was going to be their third baseman of the future. Brosius went from someone who had played well enough to be looked at as a big part of the A’s future to someone they were happy to trade.
Then he played so well for the championship Yankees in 1998 that the Yankees signed him to a long-term deal and traded Lowell to Florida.
Well, the Yankees did not dump salary to get Martin. He was signed as a free agent. Martin once looked like a future star with the Dodgers, but had played so poorly and been injured that Los Angeles was willing to non-tender him after last season.
The Yankees looked at Martin as a stopgap because they believe they have so much high-level catching in their system, notably with Austin Romine and Jesus Montero (http://www.nypost.com/t/Jesus_Montero) so close to the majors. In fact, the Yankees had hoped that Montero would begin the season as Martin’s backup and eventually morph into the starter, perhaps as early as later this year.
But Montero tanked in spring training and was sent to Triple-A. Martin, meanwhile, has done a Brosius thing. He has hit better than expected, defended well and stayed healthy. It is a very small sample size. However, if Martin continues in this mode, does that liberate the Yankees even more to do a Lowell thing and trade Montero and/or Romine (Remember the Yankees have Gary Sanchez in the low minors, who they think is going to be their best catching prospect of all)?

http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/hardball/up_jeter_martin_brosius_BWklA1gJZsZDx8wbSiil6I

<!-- lol :: 25e9b59c-6476-11e0-abde-9e50c685dd9d -->

Ninja0980
04-12-11, 09:43 AM
Interesting thought.

http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/hardball/up_jeter_martin_brosius_BWklA1gJZsZDx8wbSiil6I

One can only wonder what would have happened if we had kept Lowell.. a win in 03 and 04?

dave8274
04-12-11, 10:43 AM
One can only wonder what would have happened if we had kept Lowell.. a win in 03 and 04?

Who would have made up for Ed Yarnall's lost production if they didn't make that deal? :)

Yankee Tripper
04-12-11, 10:51 AM
Who would have made up for Ed Yarnall's lost production if they didn't make that deal? :)
And would Scott Brocuis still been a world series hero if Lowell is playing 3B?

Hurling Darvish
04-13-11, 12:29 AM
And would Scott Brocuis still been a world series hero if Lowell is playing 3B?

After Brosius' astounding 1998 regular season and even better WS MVP postseason, the Yankees resigned him for 3 more years, making Lowell effectively blocked. I guess they decided a top left handed starter prospect was more valuable than a guy who would have been a bench player. Yarnall was all that prospect-wise at the time. He had been traded to the Marlins from the Mets, as part of a package that netted Mike Piazza.

Brosius haunts Byung-Hyun Kim's nightmares to this day.

Ninja0980
04-13-11, 10:19 AM
After Brosius' astounding 1998 regular season and even better WS MVP postseason, the Yankees resigned him for 3 more years, making Lowell effectively blocked. I guess they decided a top left handed starter prospect was more valuable than a guy who would have been a bench player. Yarnall was all that prospect-wise at the time. He had been traded to the Marlins from the Mets, as part of a package that netted Mike Piazza.

Brosius haunts Byung-Hyun Kim's nightmares to this day.
I'm sure Kim's World Series ring help eases those nightmares. I truly do hate the Diamondbacks, really do. Would have been great to stick it to them.
But I digress... this is the Russell Martin thread. The day off has helped him I'm sure.

Hurling Darvish
04-14-11, 12:03 AM
I'm sure Kim's World Series ring help eases those nightmares. I truly do hate the Diamondbacks, really do. Would have been great to stick it to them.
But I digress... this is the Russell Martin thread. The day off has helped him I'm sure.

He had a decent 1 for 4 game tonight. More importantly he is clicking well with AJ. Keep wiggling those fingers for that changeup!

ring403
04-14-11, 07:15 AM
http://yankees.lhblogs.com/2011/04/14/postgame-notes-burnett-makes-the-call-then-settles-in/

It’s worth noting that Burnett was once again singing the praises of Russell Martin, who wore bright orange finger nail polish with a white stripe down the middle to make his signs easier to read. “He’s taken a lot of time, you can tell, to really get to know us and figure us out,” Burnett said.

False1
04-14-11, 08:54 AM
Loving what he's done so far, but dude could prolly use a day off eh?

grizy
04-14-11, 09:09 AM
yeah, the postponed and rained out game gave him some rest but he really should get a day off really soon, hopefully tonight.

Ninja0980
04-14-11, 09:40 AM
Indeed, it'd be nice for Cervalli to heal..in order to give Martin a day off. Down the strech, I want a healthy Martin, not the sick one that left LA

JOBA RULES
04-14-11, 09:41 AM
To be fair Martin has had 2 days off in a row before yesterday. I'm sure he'll get a day when the Yankees have a string of games in a row. I just hope he plays tonight since I'm going...I don't want to see freakin Gustavo Molina.

Bub
04-14-11, 09:46 AM
yeah, the postponed and rained out game gave him some rest but he really should get a day off really soon, hopefully tonight.Not tonight. He just had 2 days off so he's rested. He can catch tonight and maybe even tomorrow night, then get Saturday afternoon off vs. the Rangers (he won't catch both Friday and Saturday). Then he gets a day off Monday and next Thursday.

grizy
04-14-11, 09:55 AM
That's good plan actually. I'd say rest him friday and let him catch the weekend.

He's caught 10 games 14 days already... he just needs a day off soon.

I am really not interested in busting his recently healed hips just to get him an extra 150~200 PAs in time to suck in the playoffs.

teknetic
04-14-11, 10:25 AM
Interesting thought.

Trading Montero because Martin has played well for a two-week stretch would be braindead.

Bub
04-14-11, 11:05 AM
Trading Montero because Martin has played well for a two-week stretch would be braindead.
I agree. Remember the good start last year by Nick Johnson........let's not get too comfortable until a few months have elapsed.

Yankee Tripper
04-14-11, 11:40 AM
Martin playing well though does give them that option should they want to. I personanly wouldn't do it for all but a small handful of front line starters, most of whom are not on the market.

with respect to time off, I agree he'll get a day this weekend. If it wasn't for the rain out or if Cervelli was here instead of Molina, he'd have gotten a day or two already.

ajra21
04-14-11, 02:10 PM
can't say i ever thought of martin as a one year stopgap. i figured getting out of LA would help him find his way back to being a better than league average catcher, both offesnively and defensively.

False1
04-14-11, 02:19 PM
I was in support of signing him because of the flexibility. He's under the Yankees' control for next season as well, so... if he performs, it allows the Yanks to follow whatever plan they deem best for Montero's development this year and potentially next. If Montero shows defensive progress or continues to crush it in SWB, he could be traded this year or next year for something of value, or retained to backup Montero. We did not provide any draft pick compensation to get him either.

Other than an understandable degree of interest in seeing Montero ASAP, not sure why anyone ever bagged on this signing. And as a side benefit I love watching Saltalamacchia receiving for the Sox instead of Martin.

CoyoteYankee
04-14-11, 10:03 PM
I know why he does it but those painted fingernails make me giggle.

Yankee Fan in Boston
04-14-11, 10:06 PM
I was in support of signing him because of the flexibility. He's under the Yankees' control for next season as well, so... if he performs, it allows the Yanks to follow whatever plan they deem best for Montero's development this year and potentially next. If Montero shows defensive progress or continues to crush it in SWB, he could be traded this year or next year for something of value, or retained to backup Montero. We did not provide any draft pick compensation to get him either.

Other than an understandable degree of interest in seeing Montero ASAP, not sure why anyone ever bagged on this signing. And as a side benefit I love watching Saltalamacchia receiving for the Sox instead of Martin.

With all the money the Red Sox spent in the offseason, it's pretty amazing to me they didn't try harder for this guy.

I'd argue that he would have been a lot more important to them than their 4th RH in the bullpen.

DontTradeMontero
04-14-11, 10:08 PM
He should be batting second.

delv
04-15-11, 01:04 AM
a good baseball player.

Gigi Buffon
04-15-11, 04:08 AM
He should be batting second.

All I know is I was pulling my hair hair out when Joe had him bunting with Grandy on second and 0 outs in the 9th. Wasted at bat.

BRNXBMRS
04-15-11, 07:34 AM
Long needs to work on Martin getting a bunt down.

BRNXBMRS
04-15-11, 07:36 AM
All I know is I was pulling my hair hair out when Joe had him bunting with Grandy on second and 0 outs in the 9th. Wasted at bat.

If it was successful bunt Grandy wouldve been on 3rd with one out and all you need is a fly ball. I had no issue with it.

Yankee Fan in Boston
04-15-11, 08:52 AM
If it was successful bunt Grandy wouldve been on 3rd with one out and all you need is a fly ball. I had no issue with it.

Specifically, you were asking Gardner to hit that fly ball (or maybe you were thinking of PH'ing for him)? I would have let Martin hit away -- he could still try and take it to the right side and maybe get a hit that way.

dave8274
04-15-11, 08:55 AM

This is true. On the other hand, if Martin continues to play well, they are never going to take the step of replacing a very productive offensive AND defensive catcher with a rookie. That would mean Montero is blocked until at least 2013 at Catcher. In that case, the Yankees are going to have to sit down and decide if they are willing to have Montero fill the DH position for the next decade (which most likely, A-Rod will eventually need). If not, it seems they would very likely need to move him at some point.

teknetic
04-15-11, 08:57 AM

The only way that bunt would have made sense was if he planned on putting the squeeze on with Gardner up. You can't be looking for a flyball to LF from Gardner right now (Jones/Markakis have good arms, he'd have to hit the ball pretty deep)

Petey
04-15-11, 08:59 AM
Not just that, but Brett Gardner was on deck. Gardy's been struggling. Even my mom who doesn't watch much baseball said during Martin's at bat, "Joe, put the looseleaf away and let the guy [Martin] do his job! Don't have him bunt."

BRNXBMRS
04-15-11, 09:24 AM
Specifically, you were asking Gardner to hit that fly ball (or maybe you were thinking of PH'ing for him)? I would have let Martin hit away -- he could still try and take it to the right side and maybe get a hit that way.

Gardner cant be in a slump the whole year, but none of this matters now anyway.

Ninja0980
04-15-11, 09:49 AM
After reading about Joe Mauer, I'm hoping Martin will be able to get some rest one of these days.
I don't want one of our best players being DL down the line when we'll need him most.

BRNXBMRS
04-15-11, 11:15 AM
After reading about Joe Mauer, I'm hoping Martin will be able to get some rest one of these days.
I don't want one of our best players being DL down the line when we'll need him most.
I am sure he'll eventually get a day off, but you cant play the game scared thinking he may get hurt.

grizy
04-15-11, 11:24 AM
Let's not forget that after Gardner it's Jeter, not exactly a fly ball hitter either.

In the game thread I was screaming please please let Martin hit.

Even the bunt was good and you pinch hit Chavez for Gardner, they'd just just walk Chavez and pitch to Jeter hoping for a JDIP.

Yankees1962
04-15-11, 11:35 AM
Day game tomorrow so I expect him to be off then which would give him three off days this week and at least two off days next week. Even with him catching every inning so far in April, he's far from being overworked.

Blazer
04-15-11, 09:37 PM
a good baseball player.

Major leaguer.

ajra21
04-16-11, 05:47 AM
This is true. On the other hand, if Martin continues to play well, they are never going to take the step of replacing a very productive offensive AND defensive catcher with a rookie. That would mean Montero is blocked until at least 2013 at Catcher. In that case, the Yankees are going to have to sit down and decide if they are willing to have Montero fill the DH position for the next decade (which most likely, A-Rod will eventually need). If not, it seems they would very likely need to move him at some point.

personally, if martin returns to his good LA form i would very much like to keep him when he nears free agency. i'd also like to keep montero because having a young cheap bat like his is going to be very important over the next 6 years as jeter, alex and tex age. of course, if someone offers a stud pitcher for one of them (plus other pieces) then both should be considered available.

parkerstrong
04-16-11, 05:54 AM
personally, if martin returns to his good LA form i would very much like to keep him when he nears free agency. i'd also like to keep montero because having a young cheap bat like his is going to be very important over the next 6 years as jeter, alex and tex age. of course, if someone offers a stud pitcher for one of them (plus other pieces) then both should be considered available.

I'm thinking (and others have said they have the same view) that Montero takes Posada's spot at DH next year. When Martin needs a day off (and A-Rod needs a day at DH) Montero would be the catcher that day. He would be a C/DH guy and give the roster some flexibility that Posada doesn't. Cervelli would be on the roster to be the emergency catcher-carrying 3 catchers isnt bad since Montero would be the DH most of the time. With the way Montero is hitting now, it almost seems like a shame he isnt on the Yankees now.

ajra21
04-16-11, 06:18 AM
I'm thinking (and others have said they have the same view) that Montero takes Posada's spot at DH next year. When Martin needs a day off (and A-Rod needs a day at DH) Montero would be the catcher that day. He would be a C/DH guy and give the roster some flexibility that Posada doesn't. Cervelli would be on the roster to be the emergency catcher-carrying 3 catchers isnt bad since Montero would be the DH most of the time. With the way Montero is hitting now, it almost seems like a shame he isnt on the Yankees now.

i was saying this last year. i believe that both cervelli and franco could fill in at third and first is required - not for a full game but in blow outs to save the regulars.

mrmike98
04-16-11, 09:30 AM
I'm not one who usually cries to rest a player but today's projected rest will help. He looked tired last night behind the plate and took some bangs. Remember he's coming off some pretty tough injuries.

False1
04-16-11, 09:49 AM
personally, if martin returns to his good LA form i would very much like to keep him when he nears free agency. i'd also like to keep montero because having a young cheap bat like his is going to be very important over the next 6 years as jeter, alex and tex age. of course, if someone offers a stud pitcher for one of them (plus other pieces) then both should be considered available.If he returns to his good LA form this season I'd try to sell high on him personally. Especially if our catchers on the farm continue to progress. We'd have very good leverage.

ajra21
04-16-11, 10:09 AM
If he returns to his good LA form this season I'd try to sell high on him personally. Especially if our catchers on the farm continue to progress. We'd have very good leverage.

one in the hand is worth ...

Blazer
04-17-11, 08:35 PM
our MVP

awy
04-17-11, 08:55 PM
can i get some fking UPSIDE

Yankeesfan924
04-17-11, 10:20 PM
Blocking Montero's progress. Trade him already.

Mark19
04-17-11, 10:23 PM
Hasn't stolen a base in weeks, slacker!

hellonewman
04-17-11, 10:26 PM
Looks like Cashy hit a home run on this one.

JDPNYY
04-17-11, 10:26 PM
Cash got Martin, kept him from the Red Sox. Luckily the Sox have a gem in Saltamawhatchamacallit.

pleasepassthesoup
04-17-11, 11:25 PM
Cash got Martin, kept him from the Red Sox. Luckily the Sox have a gem in Saltamawhatchamacallit.

Point: Theo.

tjbrady
04-18-11, 01:16 AM
Point: Theo.

With the way crawford is hitting ill give him two points

Melan-cynic
04-18-11, 01:35 AM
Cervelli is better. lolz

nnysiny
04-18-11, 09:34 AM
couldnt ask for anything better

delv
04-18-11, 09:44 AM
Cervelli is better. lolz

...I gotta respond to this because I know it's a shot in my direction.

I never said Cervelli was a better baseball player. Complete mischaracterization.

BronxYanks45
04-19-11, 11:07 AM
I had my doubts at first but Martin is a huge improvement over Cervelli

JOBA RULES
04-19-11, 11:17 AM
I had my doubts at first but Martin is a huge improvement over Cervelli

I knew he would be when we signed him.

I'm one of those people that doesn't think Cervy is very good.

Yankee Tripper
04-19-11, 11:27 AM
I knew he would be when we signed him.

I'm one of those people that doesn't think Cervy is very good.

But this wasn't exactly a ringing endorsement of Martin from you either...

delv
04-19-11, 11:29 AM

looooooooooool

:roflmao:

nnysiny
04-19-11, 11:30 AM
teehee

Ninja0980
04-19-11, 11:44 AM
doh!!

justtxyank
04-19-11, 11:49 AM

Awesome

Mr.Muhozi
04-19-11, 01:37 PM

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v738/slotff/breidis-prescott_amir-khan.gif

grizy
04-19-11, 07:31 PM
Whatever happens rest of the game, Martin's catching kept AJ in the game for 4 IPs and limited the damage.

JOBA RULES
04-21-11, 09:32 AM

Yeah I was def skeptical, I knew he would be the starting catcher when we signed him though....I didn't know he would be THIS good so far. Hope he stays healthy.

People were going crazy over him after 2 games...Was just trying to be realistic about things.

Yankee Tripper
04-21-11, 10:24 AM
Yeah I was def skeptical, I knew he would be the starting catcher when we signed him though....I didn't know he would be THIS good so far. Hope he stays healthy.

People were going crazy over him after 2 games...Was just trying to be realistic about things.
I was very optomistic about the signing for several reasons.
1st if he was horrible like his past 2 years in LA - it was only $4M (or apparently the cost of injured LOOGYs) and even if he didn't hit I knew he was good defensively.
2nd if he regained his all-star form he'd be a huge asset - either to buy time for Montero, to pair with Montero, or to allow one of them to be used as a trade chip.
3rd he didn't go to Boston as I thought he was a huge upgrade over Salty or Tek.

JOBA RULES
04-21-11, 11:10 AM
1st if he was horrible like his past 2 years in LA - it was only $4M (or apparently the cost of injured LOOGYs) and even if he didn't hit I knew he was good defensively.
2nd if he regained his all-star form he'd be a huge asset - either to buy time for Montero, to pair with Montero, or to allow one of them to be used as a trade chip.
3rd he didn't go to Boston as I thought he was a huge upgrade over Salty or Tek.

I hear ya, probably not the thread for this but I REALLLLY hope Montero is not traded. With him and Cano the future of this offense I hope he sticks around.

Of course unless it's for a Josh Johnson-Felix type pitcher.

grizy
04-21-11, 11:16 AM
Martin has been absolutely frigging tremendous.

AJ would look a lot worse if not for him. And I am not just talking about intangibles like talking AJ into trusting his changeup.

I am talking about blocking all the wild pitches that has directly contributed to keeping AJ in the game.

After years of Posada at C, Russel Martin looks like a defensive demigod.

ZIM 2002
04-21-11, 11:31 AM
Agreed! Usually it takes me time to appreciate a replacement for a long time player. I really like Jorge, but it did not take me long to enjoy watching Martin's defense!

THEBOSS84
04-21-11, 12:13 PM
<table><tbody><tr valign="top"><td>[Comment From S. RyanS. Ryan: ]
Russell Martin, back to All-Star form? </td></tr></tbody></table>Thursday April 21, 2011 12:34 S. Ryan
<table style="width: 100%;"><tbody><tr valign="top"><td class="chatmsgtime" nowrap="nowrap">12:35
</td><td class="chatmsgtext altcaster_text "><table><tbody><tr valign="top"><td>http://www.coveritlive.com/templates/coveritlive/images/spacer.gif</td><td>Frankie Piliere:
He is. He won't keep up his current pace but everything looks good. He's quick, the bat speed is there and he's spinning on the ball nicely. I see no signs that this is a fluke. </td></tr></tbody></table></td></tr></tbody></table>

False1
04-21-11, 12:23 PM
3rd he didn't go to Boston as I thought he was a huge upgrade over Salty or Tek.100% accurate, my thoughts exactly. Other than a concern that he might block Montero, I really have no idea why so many people were so against the signing.

And he's under team control for next season. If Montero is dealt, having Martin as starting C for this season and next is big. If Montero proves he can catch and continues to mash, then you have tremendous value in Martin as a trade chip.

I really cannot believe that the Sox didn't even really try to outbid the Yankees here. I love that they're paying Varitek's corpse $2MM, starting Saltalamacchia and have very little organizational depth at C while we're starting Martin at $4MM with great C depth on the farm. Pretty big miss on Theo's part if you ask me.

NoodleRay
04-21-11, 03:31 PM
100% accurate, my thoughts exactly. Other than a concern that he might block Montero, I really have no idea why so many people were so against the signing.

And he's under team control for next season. If Montero is dealt, having Martin as starting C for this season and next is big. If Montero proves he can catch and continues to mash, then you have tremendous value in Martin as a trade chip.

I really cannot believe that the Sox didn't even really try to outbid the Yankees here. I love that they're paying Varitek's corpse $2MM, starting Saltalamacchia and have very little organizational depth at C while we're starting Martin at $4MM with great C depth on the farm. Pretty big miss on Theo's part if you ask me.

They've been lucky enough, haven't they.?

ajra21
04-21-11, 03:32 PM
100% accurate, my thoughts exactly. Other than a concern that he might block Montero, I really have no idea why so many people were so against the signing.

it was a big get for us. i always liked martin and always thought he'd rebound to his previous form. really glad he's gonna do it with us. not sure i want to trade him unless montero shows us he's capable of catching four out of five games. don't forget that sanchez is expected to catch well and BA think his ceiling is extremely high, possibly higher than montero's.

NoodleRay
04-21-11, 04:08 PM
Agreed! Usually it takes me time to appreciate a replacement for a long time player. I really like Jorge, but it did not take me long to enjoy watching Martin's defense!

I like him too, but he's not really that big an up grade over Cervelli, defensively. Cervelli is full of cheer, and has plenty of energy. Neither guy throws that great, and both hit pretty good when rested.

I will say that Martin has more power, Cervelli hits his balls to center field. That doesn't help his power numbers. Lets just keep them both, and let go of the backup. Who is probably the best defensive catcher out of the three.

Yankee Tripper
04-21-11, 04:10 PM
I like him too, but he's not really that big an up grade over Cervelli, defensively.
He's big upgrade over the Cervelli I watched last year.

False1
04-21-11, 04:12 PM
I like him too, but he's not really that big an up grade over Cervelli, defensively. Cervelli is full of cheer, and has plenty of energy. Neither guy throws that great, and both hit pretty good when rested.

I will say that Martin has more power, Cervelli hits his balls to center field. That doesn't help his power numbers. Lets just keep them both, and let go of the backup. Who is probably the best defensive catcher out of the three.Cervellli was atrocious defensively last year. Martin's defense so far this season is a definite upgrade over what Cervelli gave us last year.

NoodleRay
04-21-11, 04:18 PM
He's big upgrade over the Cervelli I watched last year.

Maybe I'm partial, but I like Cervelli he gives the team a lift. To be honest Martin is a better hitter. But no big upgrade on defense.

ajra21
04-21-11, 04:26 PM

I will say that Martin has more power, Cervelli hits his balls to center field. That doesn't help his power numbers. Lets just keep them both, and let go of the backup. Who is probably the best defensive catcher out of the three.

martin is a considerable upgrade over cervelli. frankie is nothing more than a backup who is not worth more replacement level when his salary stops being the league minmum. martin is a genuine mlb starter. big difference.

False1
04-21-11, 04:31 PM
Maybe I'm partial, but I like Cervelli he gives the team a lift. To be honest Martin is a better hitter. But no big upgrade on defense.Sorry man, no amount of fist pumps makes up for the delta between what Cervelli produced last year and what Martin is currently producing this year.

And perhaps last year was just a strange year for Cervelli defensively, but he was terrible... and so far Martin has looked very good.

NoodleRay
04-21-11, 04:54 PM
Sorry man, no amount of fist pumps makes up for the delta between what Cervelli produced last year and what Martin is currently producing this year.

And perhaps last year was just a strange year for Cervelli defensively, but he was terrible... and so far Martin has looked very good.

Your forgetting one thing, that I'm talking about when he was rested. Even his offense wasn't bad, he was batting over 400 with men in scoring position. Until they wore him down . Think back, it was over use of a back up.....I do agree Cervelli is a backup.

ajra21
04-22-11, 04:36 AM
Your forgetting one thing, that I'm talking about when he was rested. Even his offense wasn't bad, he was batting over 400 with men in scoring position. Until they wore him down . Think back, it was over use of a back up.....I do agree Cervelli is a backup.

you're right: cervelli's whole game suffered when he was overexposed. this is why martin is a massive upgrade over the cisco kid. i have no problem with cervelli being our backup for a while. he does all you need a backup to do. don't believe his D in 2010 is a reflection of what he'd give us in 30-50 games as a backup.

Bub
04-22-11, 11:35 AM
you're right: cervelli's whole game suffered when he was overexposed. this is why martin is a massive upgrade over the cisco kid. i have no problem with cervelli being our backup for a while. he does all you need a backup to do. don't believe his D in 2010 is a reflection of what he'd give us in 30-50 games as a backup.
Agreed. Also Cervelli came into camp pumped up like Arnold. Maybe he'll add some slugging here and there.

dabomb2045
04-23-11, 07:29 PM
This guy has been amazing so far....looks like the guy he was a few years back. My new favorite Canadian for sure.

THEBOSS84
04-23-11, 07:29 PM
Best FA pick up ever?

dabomb2045
04-23-11, 07:30 PM
Best FA pick up ever?

One I wasnt a fan of....I have no problems admitting I was way off on this one. Cash deserves alot of props for this signing. Too many times on this board alot of posters harp on his mistakes, but dont give him credit for his good moves.

metalboy15
04-23-11, 07:40 PM
Shortest path to the ball of any Yankee.

He's been killing those fastballs down and in.

Sharona1975
04-23-11, 07:49 PM
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a328/photowise/emoticons/mounted_police_flag.gif

tjbrady
04-23-11, 07:58 PM
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a328/photowise/emoticons/mounted_police_flag.gif

hahahahaha

teknetic
04-23-11, 08:04 PM
Holy.

Balls.

False1
Guy is out of his mind.

metalboy15
Wth?................

THEBOSS84
This is getting silly. I guess that's what happens when you sign an undervalued former All-star catcher who is 28 and in his absolute prime.

awy
04-23-11, 08:07 PM
why so good ahahhahahaha

Rocketbooster
04-23-11, 08:20 PM
Behind Mo, Alex and Curtis, my new fave - he's awesome, lol