09-22-11, 09:35 PM
I don't think that I can take it 'cause it took so long to bake it
And I'll never have that recipe again
Oh, no! Oh, no! No, no, Oh NO!!
McArthur Park, 1968, written by Jimmy Webb, sung by the great Richard Harris

Mr Coffee
09-22-11, 09:48 PM

I believe that song went straight to elevator on release.

ieddyi
09-22-11, 10:01 PM

It'll never top William Shatner's rendition of Lucy in the Sky w/ Diamonds

RogerNatural
09-22-11, 10:06 PM
I believe that song went straight to elevator on release. Quite the contrary, it was one of the top songs of the year. I remember well that song playing incessantly throughout that summer.

RogerNatural
09-22-11, 10:07 PM
It'll never top William Shatner's rendition of Lucy in the Sky w/ Diamonds The first rap song.:eek:

root786
09-23-11, 03:46 AM
According to this article Martin has been Top 5 in getting borderline pitches being called strikes over the last 4 years. From 2007-2011 he is second only to Jose Molina in Runs saved by framing borderline pitches.

That alone is a pretty good reason to sign him up longer term and the Red Sox comment doesn't hurt either.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=15093

PS I definitely recommend reading the article. It is one of the best baseball articles I've read both from a stats point of view and just learning about the game.

PPS It also turns out that the front office made the right decision by not letting Posada catch at all this year. He was the second worst catcher from 2007-2010, costing the Yankees 50 runs over that time frame.

grizy
09-23-11, 04:33 AM
15R prevention per 120G is unbelievably good.

For perspective, the difference between Robinson Cano and Mark Teixeira's 2011 wOBAs come out to about 13.5Rs over 500PAs.

Jorge's -25R/120G is absolutely horrendous.

If you use this chart's numbers, 2009's wOBAs, and 500PAs~120Gs, Jose Molina was a better catcher overall than Jorge Posada.

According to the link, Jose Molina prevents 60R/120Gs compared to Jorge Posada. According to Fangraphs 2009 wOBA, Jorge contributes to the scoring of 51.3 runs over 500PAs than Jose.

SatchelPaigeYankee
09-23-11, 08:30 AM
that article's pretty crazy. it looks like Posada's lack of framing has gotten worse over the last 5 years (we kinda knew this), but man, that's terrible.

I wonder if the Yanks know/knew this and if this is why he's not catching at all. as an aside, Lucroy is a beast; given how he can hit a little bit, he's tremendously valuable if these stats are right. also, lol @ laird being terrible and v-mart being pretty solid.

my favorite part:
"Varitek cost the Red Sox about 16 runs by losing 101 expected strike calls in part time duty over the last two seasons. "

Now ya see, if we had automatated strike zones, none of these real baseball skills would have mattered.

Yankee Fan in Boston
09-23-11, 08:30 AM
According to this article Martin has been Top 5 in getting borderline pitches being called strikes over the last 4 years. From 2007-2011 he is second only to Jose Molina in Runs saved by framing borderline pitches.

That alone is a pretty good reason to sign him up longer term and the Red Sox comment doesn't hurt either.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=15093

PS I definitely recommend reading the article. It is one of the best baseball articles I've read both from a stats point of view and just learning about the game.

PPS It also turns out that the front office made the right decision by not letting Posada catch at all this year. He was the second worst catcher from 2007-2010, costing the Yankees 50 runs over that time frame.

Makes you wonder how much of the improvement in the pitching staff is due to Martin. Rothschild's timing appears to be excellent

SatchelPaigeYankee
09-23-11, 08:31 AM
:lol: at Jose Molina's strikezone against LBH!!

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/u/images/molina_2011_lhb_called_pitches.jpg

the red are called strikes. some of those pitches are basically hitting the batter!

grizy
09-23-11, 08:46 AM
Honestly the effects of just framing are so far beyond what I expected I still find it hard to believe.

Keep in mind most of those guys good at framing pitches are better at other aspects of catching too so their run prevention can be even higher than the page suggests.

SatchelPaigeYankee
09-23-11, 08:50 AM
interesting thought in the comments:

'mooser': "Wow. So if you incorporate this into a WARP (http://www.baseballprospectus.com/glossary/index.php?search=WARP) like stat for catchers, I guess you have to deduct these runs saved from the pitcher's runs / WARP (http://www.baseballprospectus.com/glossary/index.php?search=WARP) or you would be double counting the catcher's framing skills on a team level."

Ben Lindberg, staff: "We're already kicking the possibility of that kind of adjustment around internally."

--
Also, as with the rest of his defensive game, Cervelli was terrible in 2010, but average-to-good in all other years.

SatchelPaigeYankee
09-23-11, 09:03 AM
Honestly the effects of just framing are so far beyond what I expected I still find it hard to believe.

Keep in mind most of those guys good at framing pitches are better at other aspects of catching too so their run prevention can be even higher than the page suggests.

the language of the game is indeed balls and strikes ya know. we've already long known how different a 1-1 count is from 0-2 count, or 0-1 from 1-0.

For Jose Molina, who so viciously obliterated everyone else in this assessment, I wonder if catching a wild pitcher like Burnett so often actually HELPED his rating in this. Essentially, he had more bad pitches which he could try and turn into strikes. A slightly different consideration: are certain pitchers more likely to throw "borderline" strikes that have the potential to be get called strikes with certain excellent catchers or get called balls with certain bad catchers? In other words, a guy like Burnett might have his performance and ERA fluctuate (improve or worsen) a lot more than someone like CC, say.

grizy
09-23-11, 09:03 AM
Also, as with the rest of his defensive game, Cervelli was terrible in 2010, but average-to-good in all other years.

I have extremely strong suspicions he never quite recovered from his concussion in 2010 spring training.

The increased workload just made it worse.

EDIT: little Googling finds this article http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/10/sports/baseball/10yankees.html with this quote "Cervelli said he had had at least three concussions since 2005 [to 2010]." With the latest concussion, it's 4 in 7 years. That's disconcerting even for NFL linebackers.

grizy
09-23-11, 09:14 AM
the language of the game is indeed balls and strikes ya know. we've already long known how different a 1-1 count is from 0-2 count, or 0-1 from 1-0.

For Jose Molina, who so viciously obliterated everyone else in this assessment, I wonder if catching a wild pitcher like Burnett so often actually HELPED his rating in this. Essentially, he had more bad pitches which he could try and turn into strikes. A slightly different consideration: are certain pitchers more likely to throw "borderline" strikes that have the potential to be get called strikes with certain excellent catchers or get called balls with certain bad catchers? In other words, a guy like Burnett might have his performance and ERA fluctuate (improve or worsen) a lot more than someone like CC, say.

I actually suggested, even back in 2009, that Jose Molina overall could be as good as if not better than Jorge Posada as a catcher.

I was eviscerated for even suggesting it.

Only brought this up because people were raging over Jose becoming AJ's personal catcher, taking playing time away from Jorge.

kongull
09-23-11, 09:17 AM
Nothing makes me happier than seeing data come back and bite the stat heads in the butt (you know who you are).

justtxyank
09-23-11, 10:41 AM
Nothing makes me happier than seeing data come back and bite the stat heads in the butt (you know who you are).

I am a stat head but I have been arguing that defense behind the plate is undervalued for years because they've lacked a way to quantify it.

Most things in baseball can be statistically measured, but that doesn't mean it's easy to figure out how to do it.

JSG
09-23-11, 11:03 AM
Only brought this up because people were raging over Jose becoming AJ's personal catcher, taking playing time away from Jorge.

[moment of silence for Rocketbooster]

Mr Coffee
09-23-11, 11:21 AM
[moment of silence for Rocketbooster]

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6133/6015067182_c0a6fd0e8f.jpg

JSG
09-23-11, 11:35 AM
http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6133/6015067182_c0a6fd0e8f.jpg

http://visitalexandriava.com/includes/images/events/guinness_toast.jpg

CHEERS !!

TheInfallibleOne
09-23-11, 11:58 AM
I am a stat head but I have been arguing that defense behind the plate is undervalued for years because they've lacked a way to quantify it.

Most things in baseball can be statistically measured, but that doesn't mean it's easy to figure out how to do it.

I think Russell may have just taken a big step toward becoming a true Yankee. Saying he 'hates the Red Sox' definitely helps. Either that or he wants to be back next year as the starting catcher.

kongull
09-23-11, 01:21 PM

Yeah, I'm referring to the other stat heads (i.e. people that think they know how to look at statistics, but don't).

Yankee Fan in Boston
09-23-11, 02:26 PM
I think Russell may have just taken a big step toward becoming a true Yankee. Saying he 'hates the Red Sox' definitely helps. Either that or he wants to be back next year as the starting catcher.

He's back next year regardless. The Yankees have his rights, and they aren't going to trust the job to two rookies and a guy with Cervelli's history of concussions

TheHugeUnit2
09-23-11, 03:17 PM
"Anything to get the Red Sox out would be awesome for me," said Martin, who has been involved in the rivalry for one season.
When asked why, Martin sounded like the truest Bleacher Creature.
"Because I hate the Red Sox," Martin said.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/story/_/id/7005688/new-york-yankees-russell-martin-hate-boston-red-sox

Martin's my new favorite Yankeee.

JSG
09-23-11, 03:24 PM
"Anything to get the Red Sox out would be awesome for me," said Martin, who has been involved in the rivalry for one season.
When asked why, Martin sounded like the truest Bleacher Creature.
"Because I hate the Red Sox," Martin said.

Martin's my new favorite Yankeee.

yes, immediate induction into the shelly duncan Hall of Fame !!

http://blogs.riverfronttimes.com/stlog/soxsuck.jpg

Yankees13
09-23-11, 03:26 PM
*ordering a Russell Martin jersey*

awy
09-23-11, 07:40 PM
:lol: at Jose Molina's strikezone against LBH!!

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/u/images/molina_2011_lhb_called_pitches.jpg

the red are called strikes. some of those pitches are basically hitting the batter!

how much of that was from mo i wonder

grizy
09-23-11, 07:52 PM
That would make it sicker because Mo's cutter would start outside (left of that chart) and cuts in, which would tend to move the called strike zone to the right on the chart.

yankee82093
09-23-11, 08:49 PM

Yes, certain pitchers are more likely to borderline strikes. Burnett is not one of them. I think.

snapple
09-27-11, 12:19 PM
Russell Martin was ejected by plate umpire Paul Schrieber in the fifth inning after Hughes believed the ump missed a couple of pitches.

"I said to (the umpire), 'Did you stretch before the game?' He said 'What?' I asked him again. Then I said, 'I believe you are kind of tight right now.' And he threw me out of the game.

"He wanted to hear what I was going to say because why else would he take off his mask and walk around me. I kept my mask on my face, nobody knew what was going on. I thought this was a game it should be fun. I was just trying to loosen things up a bit because he wasn't having a good time. I didn't say he sucked, I didn't say he was the worst umpire in the league, I didn't say any of that stuff. I just made a joke and he threw me out. No warning. Nothing.

"He said my antics were tired. Me walking to the mound kind of slowly. But it's frustrating when you are not getting calls. I got thrown out for being funny, I guess. I got thrown out for having a sense of humor. I had Joe [Girardi] laughing. I can't wait to see the report he is going to write. I felt it was the perfect time to do it. I was just trying to lighten up the mood. It just popped up in my head. I think he took it the wrong way. I just thought of it on the way back from seeing Phil. Phil was getting frustrated. a My standup days are over, shortlived. We can't talk anymore. I was shocked I got thrown out. I was just trying to get him to laugh.''

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/yanke...#ixzz1Z9bzKCby

Another user posted this.

This guy. This guy is one hell of a Yankee.

awy
09-27-11, 12:25 PM
ahahahahaha

Yankee Tripper
09-27-11, 09:56 PM
Martin hates the Red Sox so much he intentionally hit into a triple play with the bases loaded. :lol:

Blazer
09-28-11, 12:03 AM
Martin hates the Red Sox so much he intentionally hit into a triple play with the bases loaded. :lol:

Post of the night. He dove into 1B to make it look good. :lol:

-tz
09-28-11, 12:17 AM
Martin hates the Red Sox so much he intentionally hit into a triple play with the bases loaded. :lol:This has been one of the craziest weeks in the regular season I can remember ... leading up to the above post sounding perfectly plausible! :lol:

GordonGecko
09-28-11, 10:15 AM
Here's a better article on the Martin incident:
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/868590-yankees-catcher-russell-martin-at-center-of-umpire-baiting-ejection

Martin appeared to then get his last words in—words Martin claims were a joke, words that were truly umpire bait—before turning around and dropping into a crouch. While Schrieber tried to continue the conversation, Martin stopped listening and figuratively walked away from a still-talking Schrieber.

Schrieber, incensed at the disrespect he perceived Martin had shown, walked out to face a crouching Martin and said loudly enough for the field microphones to pick up, "What's that supposed to mean?"

Martin retorted with a sentence unintelligible on the broadcast, and Schrieber gestured for Martin's ejection. Martin shouted, "Are you kidding me?" Schrieber yelled, "No, I'm not kidding you," and Girardi stepped in to separate the pair.

b-ball-lunachick
10-05-11, 12:15 AM
Have a lot of love for Martin and he's been GREAT behind the plate this series..diving all over the place and getting beat up a lot. Also had a great slide tonight on an important early run - was so pumped up almost ran over Jorge (that should be harder to do that it is :D). Love his passion too:

http://d.yimg.com/a/p/sp/ap/53/fullj.c3dacca59d8e89c14586f4c5b7468f7d/ap-201110042100756057657.jpg

http://d.yimg.com/a/p/sp/ap/b5/fullj.be9dbf108617090596ec591a4b997cc9/ap-201110042050750307649.jpg

Sam18
10-05-11, 12:27 AM
Big ass hits tonight.

Yankeesfan924
10-05-11, 10:18 AM
Bring him back. Have him teach Montero how to catch.

teknetic
10-05-11, 10:19 AM
Dude is an incredible defender. I had no idea he was this good.

Hitman23
10-05-11, 10:21 AM
Dude is an incredible defender. I had no idea he was this good.Seriously. I love him behind the plate. I don't really care what he does at bat, anything is just gravy. He is incredible on defense. All year.

Yankee Fan in Boston
10-05-11, 10:28 AM
Such a good signing. Still can't believe we got this guy out of nowhere. He further crowds the catching situation, but that's really not a bad thing for the team.

Yankeesfan924
10-05-11, 10:29 AM
You can never have too many catchers in your system. If he comes back for another year and then leaves, I want him here as a coach after he retires. I really like him.

jcarey
10-05-11, 10:36 AM
Big ass hits tonight.

35Knucklecurve
10-05-11, 10:44 AM
Dude is an incredible defender. I had no idea he was this good.
That makes 2 of us. He moves so quickly and I would NOT want to try to run through him getting to home plate either. That slide to avoid the tag was a thing of beauty. :D

roblyo33
10-05-11, 10:52 PM
The guy is becoming one of my favorite Yankees. Besides being a terrific player, he's a great interview.

Sam18
10-05-11, 10:59 PM
He looks like a prohibition era gangster.

-tz
10-05-11, 11:37 PM
Have a lot of love for Martin and he's been GREAT behind the plate this series..diving all over the place and getting beat up a lot. Also had a great slide tonight on an important early run - was so pumped up almost ran over Jorge (that should be harder to do that it is :D). Love his passion too:

http://d.yimg.com/a/p/sp/ap/b5/fullj.be9dbf108617090596ec591a4b997cc9/ap-201110042050750307649.jpgThat picture reminds me of this one:

http://users.erols.com/kcoblenz/1016PosadaTiesIt.JPG

35Knucklecurve
10-06-11, 10:32 AM
That picture reminds me of this one:

http://users.erols.com/kcoblenz/1016PosadaTiesIt.JPG
That's one of my all-time favorites......talk about a picture being worth a thousand words.

Umpires have become so full of themselves (or full of something else) that they are now a distraction. You know they're doing a good job when you don't even notice they're out there and that's how it should be. What Martin said was hardly grounds for an ejection and he did not continue to talk to Schrieber after it was apparent he didn't think Martin was making a joke. I've seen this happening a lot more these days - umpires who continue to try to incite a guy to argue after the player has walked away. Maybe that's their idea of showing an umpire up, but some of them, IMO are intentionally trying to get guys to continue to argue so they can eject them. Players/manager/coaches have said and done far worse and not been given the heave.

GordonGecko
10-06-11, 09:52 PM
I love Martin too but *** he's got to start getting some hits out there

SLURPEE
10-06-11, 09:56 PM
He just isn't much of a hitter.

You knew eventually he'd be up in a big spot.

PirateChief
10-06-11, 10:27 PM
Holy crap.

SLURPEE
10-06-11, 10:29 PM
He hasn't been good with the bat in 3 years. That's not changing. And he is NOT the future catcher here...

flymick24
10-06-11, 10:31 PM
that last swing made my balls hurt

THEBOSS84
10-06-11, 10:32 PM
His failed AB with the bases loaded may be the biggest AB of the season.

SLURPEE
10-06-11, 10:33 PM
^ He shouldn't even had been up.

Big spot in the game thus far.

GordonGecko
10-06-11, 10:33 PM

No, Montero's failed at bat with the bases loaded may be the biggest AB of the season. Oh wait...

But seriously, Yankees got this one. They're going to get it done

b_joseph
10-06-11, 10:34 PM
To be fair, nobody expected him to do anything with the bat this season. We have been spoiled for the past decade by having good hitting from behind the plate.

The pop up was killer though....still AB's to go but it is something to be addressed but Catchers who can hit are rare.

HerbieLee20
10-06-11, 11:52 PM
Am not going to hold anything against him -- wouldn't want another catcher. This is on the guys in front of him, ARod, Tex, Swish ...:mad:

Messerwhitescooter
10-07-11, 02:56 PM
He had such a great April, I really thought he would be a big asset to the team. Went into such a hitting funk as the season wore on. However, if Montero were not considered such a weak defensive catcher, Girardi wouldn't have hesitated to pinch hit for him. Montero has to work on his defense over the winter.

JSG
10-07-11, 03:08 PM
that last swing made my balls hurt

unlike, say, the baseball.

not only the failure to hit a GB or sac fly, his swings were atrocious. chien ming wong took better cuts.

^ He shouldn't even had been up.

other than laissez faire pen moves in games 2 (the worst) and 3 (soriano over d rob), girardi's inability to shake up the lineup at all or PH at critical moments were his biggest whiffs. martin had a pretty good game 4, right ..... but he looked so lost at the plate, he really had to take a shot there w montero or jones. PS problem is, the only guy he likely considered is chavez on autopilot poindexter matchup mode.

JSG
10-12-11, 11:14 AM
martin reflects, wants to return, via the post: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/yankees/martin_aim_is_bronx_return_M9XUExs5MbEY2IaV1xhoCJ

justtxyank
10-12-11, 12:05 PM
I've tried to avoid posting to allow my initial feelings on the season to subside.

After cooling off, I want Martin back. I'd see if we could sign him to a two year, $8 million deal. Transition him from starter next year to backup the year after and hope that one of your young catchers can emerge to be a full-time catching option. His defense is just so good.

He's not a good hitter, but if he's batting 9th next season in an improved lineup I have no problem with him.

GordonGecko
10-12-11, 12:09 PM
I've tried to avoid posting to allow my initial feelings on the season to subside.

After cooling off, I want Martin back. I'd see if we could sign him to a two year, $8 million deal. Transition him from starter next year to backup the year after and hope that one of your young catchers can emerge to be a full-time catching option. His defense is just so good.

He's not a good hitter, but if he's batting 9th next season in an improved lineup I have no problem with him.

I'd take him for sure at $8M/2, but more likely he's going to want $12M, or $6M for a 1-year deal. I disagree that he's not a good hitter, he has the potential but needs to be more consistent. Early in the season the guy was money. He was clutch and tearing the cover off the ball. At the end & postseason he couldn't hit a grapefruit. I hope he puts in some serious time in the offseason to get his mechanics down

Yankee Tripper
10-12-11, 12:10 PM
Yeah no way he signs a 2/$8M deal. 17 HR catcher is going to get a nice raise in arbitration. He made $5.4M this year after all the incentives kicked in. He'll get $6M minimum in arb next year.

awy
10-12-11, 12:21 PM
girardi said 'martin can catch all games all day long' or something to that effect. i guess he was done in by his own delusions.

grizy
10-12-11, 12:41 PM
Russel Martin had a pretty good season in terms of K and BB rates. If his BABIP were even slightly higher he would have been in the top 4 or 5 offensive catchers in all of MLB while playing tremendous defense.

Gegbot
10-21-11, 09:59 AM
I like him more everytime I see him.

http://yankees.lhblogs.com/2011/10/21/dont-be-lazy-today/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=6NzAjkTfUiI

GiambiRocks
10-21-11, 10:34 AM

kinda turns me on :evil:

JSG
11-03-11, 08:15 AM
cashman loves martin, sounds like he'll be the main C for a while to come .........

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/yankees/cashman_raves_about_martin_WZI6yamtLhdgXwvNmjQa2L

Messerwhitescooter
11-03-11, 08:18 AM
Hopefully his early season numbers weren't just a flash in the pan. His second half sucked, as did his playoff.

35Knucklecurve
11-03-11, 08:36 AM

Sometimes we forget just how hard these guys work. I sprained my back just looking at this.:lol:

For whatever reason, his offense took a vacation late in the season, but I think the ability is there to be really productive. I'd want this guy behind the plate any day.

NoodleRay
11-09-11, 06:18 PM
Lets just thank God that we had this kid, yes his average is down some but I find him to be a pretty good hitter with plenty of power! Maybe he needs to cut down on his swing a bit, I'm talking with two strikes.

89FoxBody
11-10-11, 07:49 PM
His walk rate declined and his K rate increased, though the power was nice. wRC+ has him at league average. Given his defense, I'll take that any day. Plus, his BABIP was a putrid .252. He might be due for a correction.

4trainEddie
11-23-11, 06:26 AM
traded to the montreal canadiens

http://www.facebook.com/antichambre#!/photo.php?fbid=306109656073410&set=pu.186297934721250&type=1&theater (http://www.facebook.com/antichambre#%21/photo.php?fbid=306109656073410&set=pu.186297934721250&type=1&theater)

Blazer
11-23-11, 04:54 PM
His walk rate declined and his K rate increased, though the power was nice. wRC+ has him at league average. Given his defense, I'll take that any day. Plus, his BABIP was a putrid .252. He might be due for a correction.

The drop in BB% can probably be attributed to batting in the AL. In 2010 RM had 15 BB in only 90 PA in the #8 spot. That's the NL, pitch around the #8 to get the automatic out.

Eldee5
01-24-12, 09:03 PM
http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/yankees/2012/01/russell-martin-agrees-to-1-year-contract-avoids-arbitration-on-day-of-jorge-posadas-

On the same day that Jorge Posada officially announced his retirement, the man who replaced him as the Yankees’ starting catcher, Russell Martin, agreed to a one-year contract with the team, avoiding arbitration.

Martin, who hit .237 with 18 homers and 65 RBI and made the All-Star team last season, reportedly will make $7.5 million next season with the chance for more in incentives. The 28-year-old Martin is eligible for free agency after next season.

ThePinStripes
01-26-12, 08:07 AM
Was hoping we'd extend him for 2 or 3 years instead of just one. Oh well.

The Comic Book Guy
01-26-12, 12:46 PM
Was hoping we'd extend him for 2 or 3 years instead of just one. Oh well.

I'm okay with 1 year. I think I'm one of the few who still thinks that Romine is going to be a ML starter. Not great, but a Kurt Suzuki type.

Also, though he'll likely get overpaid, Yadier is a FA next offseason...

Yankee Fan in Boston
01-26-12, 12:54 PM
I'm okay with 1 year. I think I'm one of the few who still thinks that Romine is going to be a ML starter. Not great, but a Kurt Suzuki type.

Even if that's the case (which the Yankees cannnot be counting on) they'd be better off with a two-year deal that gives him a "caddy" year like Jorge had. I don't think they are ready to do that this year.

nnysiny
01-26-12, 07:34 PM

i agree to a point. Martin is far from irreplaceable. im not very high on Romine, but he certainly has a chance to produce at the league minimum. the cost of a 2-3 year deal for a guy with Martin's production and health issues just doesnt make financial sense to me

ThePinStripes
01-27-12, 11:56 AM
I liked the idea of extending Russel because he's a good player, but more because it gives us a lot more flexibility in trades (trading Russel or any of our AAA catchers), not necessarily because he's irreplaceable.

There are a lot of good players hitting free agency after this season and the 2012 season, and it's a good time to have trade chips.

That and if Romine doesn't pan out, we're not running Kevin Cash experiments. Plus we can ease him into the majors.

kan_t
01-29-12, 01:58 PM
Even if that's the case (which the Yankees cannnot be counting on) they'd be better off with a two-year deal that gives him a "caddy" year like Jorge had. I don't think they are ready to do that this year.
Yadier Molina and Miguel Montero both will be FA when Martin hits the market.

Yankee Fan in Boston
01-30-12, 12:12 PM
Yadier Molina and Miguel Montero both will be FA when Martin hits the market.

It will be interesting to see how they handle catcher. I assume those guys are going to be looking for longer term, bigger money contracts, and I'm not sure the Yankees are going to want to commit resources there if they keep to the $189 million goal, particularly with Sanchez looming in a few years (not that there's any guarantee with him, of course).

awy
01-30-12, 08:36 PM
with the recent spate of high profile catcher injuries, you have to wonder if gary sanchez is thinking of moving off of that position to improve his career prospects.

his unwillingness to catch a breaking ball looks really really bad.

NoodleRay
01-31-12, 05:42 PM
with the recent spate of high profile catcher injuries, you have to wonder if gary sanchez is thinking of moving off of that position to improve his career prospects.

his unwillingness to catch a breaking ball looks really really bad.

First of all, hello it's been a good long while. Now is that true the kid is not a good defensive catcher? Have you seen him at the plate?

Oh, I up dated my icon that's the 55yr old me, ha!!

NoodleRay
01-31-12, 06:03 PM
Again hello, yes I'm still here and can't wait for another season to start.. I'm glad that the Yanks kept Martin if he just adds a few singles in with those long home runs, he will become quite valuable, in my mind he's there already...

I think we all know who needs to hit if we have any chance at all, Alex has finally become a question mark to me, I'm not sure what to think..

SatchelPaigeYankee
01-31-12, 07:37 PM
Again hello, yes I'm still here and can't wait for another season to start.. I'm glad that the Yanks kept Martin if he just adds a few singles in with those long home runs, he will become quite valuable, in my mind he's there already...

I think we all know who needs to hit if we have any chance at all, Alex has finally become a question mark to me, I'm not sure what to think..

Say it ain't so, Noodle!