PDA

View Full Version : Do you turn on your high beams to spite people?

GordonGecko
02-19-11, 04:22 PM
Was driving to Connecticut last night and was reminded of one of the most annoying things on the road, people who keep their fog lights on or have super bright driving lights. I drive pretty fast and pass a lot of people, and I swear sometimes it seems like cars light up their high beams as I pass to try to annoy me out of spite. But the thing is I see the lights for a couple of seconds before I'm down the road and they just end up annoying the next guy. Anyone else annoyed with bright headlights, or are you someone that does it on purpose to get in someone's face?

Tifoso
02-19-11, 04:25 PM
Was driving to Connecticut last night and was reminded of one of the most annoying things on the road, people who keep their fog lights on or have super bright driving lights. I drive pretty fast and pass a lot of people, and I swear sometimes it seems like cars light up their high beams as I pass to try to annoy me out of spite. But the thing is I see the lights for a couple of seconds before I'm down the road and they just end up annoying the next guy. Anyone else annoyed with bright headlights, or are you someone that does it on purpose to get in someone's face?

Those superbrights/fog lights are so fricking annoying. Who allowed them? :mad:

While we're at it, what dunce allowed blacked out windows? Imagine being an officer going up to a car fitted with those:scared:

JDPNYY
02-19-11, 05:25 PM
I do not. Thanks for asking.

Yankeeah
02-19-11, 05:49 PM
If someone makes a right in front of me and then goes slower than me, I will high beam the crap out of them. Same goes for someone going slower than the speed limit.

I should add, if I see a handicap sticker or an old person, I back off. But if you're on the cell or just going 25 in a 40 for another reason, except to get beamed.

RYMASTER or Ryan_Yankees
02-19-11, 06:32 PM
Never even thought about it. My headlights suck anyway, so they probably wouldn't even notice.

xenadanielle
02-19-11, 06:51 PM
I've done it, I admit.

But my dad sometimes keeps them on unknowingly, because he has a hard time seeing when he drives at night. (Which is another issue altogether).

Hitman23
02-19-11, 07:12 PM
If someone does it while driving behind me you're damn straight I'm going to get them back. No asshole deed goes unpunished.

fredgmuggs
02-19-11, 07:12 PM
Meh, I'm getting too old for that kind of crap. I just want to get to where I'm going safely and with the minimum of aggravation. Why give myself extra agita acting like a jerk?

yankee82093
02-19-11, 07:17 PM
No, because I would be terrified of them crashing into me or something because they can't see

theDurk
02-19-11, 07:35 PM
Not usually. I don't get passed that often. But if some jerkwad wants to tailgate me or high beam me while I am passing a semi or otherwise unable to move over, I'll hit him with a taste of a few hundred watts of halogen offroad lights on the front of my 4Runner once he is past me. Nobody can expect everybody to get out of their way just because they feel like breaking the speed limit by more than I do.

Not saying any of this applies to you, of course....

GiambiRocks
02-19-11, 07:37 PM
I've done it before when I was younger. Now I know better.

ZYanksRule
02-19-11, 08:31 PM
Nah. But if someone is tailgating me, I will slow down as much as humanely possible. That's actually a fun stress reliever to do that! haha.

krystl
02-19-11, 09:16 PM
Nah. But if someone is tailgating me, I will slow down as much as humanely possible. That's actually a fun stress reliever to do that! haha.
I saw a guy get punched doing that. He was annoyed at the guy behind him, who was tailing him, weaving back and forth, trying to get around him. When they stopped at the light, the asswipe in the back got out of his car, ran over to the front car and started punching the guy through the window.

There's too many wackos on the roads these days. I don't play those games.

As for the brights, they don't bother me if they are behind me because my rearview and driver side mirrors dim automatically. If they are in oncoming traffic, it's annoying because my car is low. It's mostly the bigger SUVs that are the annoying ones.

ruthianblast
02-19-11, 11:13 PM
I only do it when someone is in the left lane doing either the speed limit or below and is not moving over. Obviously, if they are passing someone, fine, but when that particular driver does not subsequently move over after passing the other vehicle they're getting brights plus some pretty highly dangerous driving on my part.

I get seriously annoyed with that don't pay attention to what is going on around them on the road.

Soriambi
02-19-11, 11:36 PM
No. I try not to do dangerous things/play games when I'm driving on purpose.

jlw1980
02-20-11, 12:35 AM
No. I try not to do dangerous things/play games when I'm driving on purpose.

Sometimes you drive on accident?

RYMASTER or Ryan_Yankees
02-20-11, 01:03 AM
Sometimes you drive on accident?

Ambien.

jlw1980
02-20-11, 01:22 AM
Ambien.
Ah, of course.

JavyVazquezIsSick
02-20-11, 09:26 AM
No. Nor do I use my horn ever. Prob should use the latter.

I have a condition called keratoconus, so all lights fck with me pretty bad, I try to stay off the road at night.

smr15
02-20-11, 11:18 AM
No.
I do not use my high beams as weapons of mass destruction.

GordonGecko
02-20-11, 12:17 PM
I saw a guy get punched doing that. He was annoyed at the guy behind him, who was tailing him, weaving back and forth, trying to get around him. When they stopped at the light, the asswipe in the back got out of his car, ran over to the front car and started punching the guy through the window.

There's too many wackos on the roads these days. I don't play those games.

As for the brights, they don't bother me if they are behind me because my rearview and driver side mirrors dim automatically. If they are in oncoming traffic, it's annoying because my car is low. It's mostly the bigger SUVs that are the annoying ones.
Yeah I don't get why anyone would play those games. But on the autodimmers, I don't like dimmed mirrors because then I don't see the traffic around me so well. I have to flip the mirror switch when the jerk behind me has his brights on, but as soon as I'm clear I flip it back.

Cops love to pull over people doing 75 in a 65 like it's their fetish in life but then never pull over anyone that has excessively bright lights, hogs the left lane, or doesn't signal when they change lanes. I wish they'd get off the speeding obsession and deal with things that actually cause the accidents

Tifoso
02-20-11, 12:33 PM
Ambien.

:lol: :clap:

ny
02-20-11, 01:21 PM
If someone does it while driving behind me you're damn straight I'm going to get them back. No asshole deed goes unpunished.

If someone is riding up my ass or flashing the HB my favorite thing to do is to just let loose with the wiper fluid. When they turn on there wipers on I laugh because it absolutely pisses people off more than anything especially if there car is clean. Bonus points if they pull up along side of you and have their window open you can give them a little spray. :lol:

Hitman23
02-20-11, 03:24 PM
That is genius. I never even thought of that. :lol: Thank you

Hitman23
02-20-11, 03:28 PM
I had this douche get mad at me for pulling onto the parkway off a very short entrance. I had plenty of room and time to get on, problem was I couldn't speed up fast enough for him. I was doing around 60 and he comes barreling up behind me with his brights on. Now he could have moved to the left lane way before he even did this but decided to be an asshole. So once he passed me I got behind him and tailed him with my brights on. He was flipping out. See I drive a mid sized suv and he had a little dinky civic so my high beams were killing him. He'd move over, I'd move over. Finally I got to my exit and got off but it was fun because his POS car couldn't go much faster than it was so he couldn't get away from me.

Stupid, yes, but the road was empty and I had a bad day. No reason for him to do what he did and maybe next time he'll move the hell over. I am usually a very courteous driver but if I get messed with I will mess back.

Jersey Yankee
02-20-11, 03:43 PM
I had this douche get mad at me for pulling onto the parkway off a very short entrance. I had plenty of room and time to get on, problem was I couldn't speed up fast enough for him. I was doing around 60 and he comes barreling up behind me with his brights on. Now he could have moved to the left lane way before he even did this but decided to be an asshole. So once he passed me I got behind him and tailed him with my brights on. He was flipping out. See I drive a mid sized suv and he had a little dinky civic so my high beams were killing him. He'd move over, I'd move over. Finally I got to my exit and got off but it was fun because his POS car couldn't go much faster than it was so he couldn't get away from me.

Stupid, yes, but the road was empty and I had a bad day. No reason for him to do what he did and maybe next time he'll move the hell over. I am usually a very courteous driver but if I get messed with I will mess back.
That's hilarious, Steve, and I don't blame you one bit.

People forever love to do things to others, but get totally peeved when someone does that to them. The "do unto others" credo seems to be long gone.

I remember having the beams put on me, and the dark car seemed to be lit up like someone had put a 300W bulb inside. Some jerk in a Jeep Wrangler who had the beams like he was in the middle of a dense forest.

I think they should invent some kind of mirror, so that you could put that up and turn it into the jerkoff who points the beams at you. The "taste of yer own medicine" thingy couldn't be better. :P

GordonGecko
02-20-11, 03:44 PM

Well that's swell but 1 out of 10 times someone will pull out a gun for that. Retribution is dangerous and not worth it IMO. I have to keep my wife from giving the finger to cars that cut us off, I just let it slide. Go ahead and cut me off, just don't go drive slowly in front of me after you do it. Now THAT pisses me off

fredgmuggs
02-20-11, 03:50 PM
Somebody wants to go faster than me I just get out of their way as soon as possible and let them go on their merry way. Life's too short for me to get in uproar about something I'm not going to remember in a day or two.

Soriambi
02-20-11, 03:54 PM
Somebody wants to go faster than me I just get out of their way as soon as possible and let them go on their merry way. Life's too short for me to get in uproar about something I'm not going to remember in a day or two.

I agree. As long as they don't hit me I roll my eyes and move on.

Octoberbaby
02-20-11, 04:14 PM
Yeah I don't get why anyone would play those games. But on the autodimmers, I don't like dimmed mirrors because then I don't see the traffic around me so well. I have to flip the mirror switch when the jerk behind me has his brights on, but as soon as I'm clear I flip it back.

Cops love to pull over people doing 75 in a 65 like it's their fetish in life but then never pull over anyone that has excessively bright lights, hogs the left lane, or doesn't signal when they change lanes. I wish they'd get off the speeding obsession and deal with things that actually cause the accidents

Because speeding doesn't cause any accidents, is that what you are saying?

Well that's swell but 1 out of 10 times someone will pull out a gun for that. Retribution is dangerous and not worth it IMO. I have to keep my wife from giving the finger to cars that cut us off, I just let it slide. Go ahead and cut me off, just don't go drive slowly in front of me after you do it. Now THAT pisses me off

That I agree with.

Dave Visbeck
02-20-11, 04:23 PM
No.

krystl
02-20-11, 04:25 PM
That is genius. I never even thought of that. :lol: Thank you
Regarding the wiper fluid, when I was a teenager, I used to aim my washer nozzles outward (they were metal tubes back then, not stationery plastic) and hit the cars next to me at lights. I learned my lesson when I bent them too many times and they finally broke.

That's how I feel, too.

YankeePride1967
02-20-11, 05:43 PM

more like an hour or two! And I agree fully.

BobLoblaw
02-20-11, 07:48 PM
No. I'm mature.

Yankeeah
02-20-11, 07:55 PM
No. I'm mature.

It has nothing to do with maturity. Just last night, I was driving down a two lane (one each way) road with a speed limit of 40MPH. No one behind me and I'm going around 40. I'm going south and someone going east is hits a stop sign, but keeps going and gets in front of me. The driver is going 30. I don't tailgate because that doesn't help anyone, but I flash my brights at them for about 3 seconds and move on with my life.

I find what the other driver did to be very inconsiderate. Why cut someone off when they are going faster than you? I hold no grudges and have no beef with the person. I just think what they did was rather inconsiderate.

GordonGecko
02-20-11, 08:38 PM
Because speeding doesn't cause any accidents, is that what you are saying?
Yes, I am saying that. Speeding does not cause accidents, it makes them worse. Accidents are caused by bad drivers, wreckless drivers, drunk drivers, and often times just plan bad luck (hitting a patch of ice, nodding off, sudden traffic, etc..). Speeding cars definitely make accidents worse than they would be but IMHO they do not cause them. If cops put down their radar guns while loafing in their speed traps and actually got out there and pulled over bad drivers, the roads would be much safer.

In Germany they have no speed limit autobahns but if you drive badly you get taken off the road. I'm not saying I want to drive 100+ mph, I don't/wouldn't go more than 75-85 on the highway, I just find the obsession with speeding misplaced

Evil Empire
02-20-11, 10:25 PM
I use them late at night on country roads, or to signal to oncoming traffic about a hidden cop. Das it.

yankeeschic12324
02-21-11, 12:06 AM
I don't use them out of spite.
And if people piss me off on the roads, they get the horn and the finger. That's about it.

Casey at the Bat
02-21-11, 12:23 AM
Some of you are maniacs on the road.

I rarely use my high beams at all. And all I want to do is get to where I am going safely.

Stick Michael
02-21-11, 04:40 AM
Cops...never pull over anyone that has excessively bright lights, hogs the left lane, or doesn't signal when they change lanes. I wish they'd get off the speeding obsession and deal with things that actually cause the accidents

If you ever run for office, you just secured my vote.

35Knucklecurve
02-21-11, 09:22 AM
Drivers who pull up behind me, ride the bumper and flash the high beams because they think it'll make me go faster are sadly mistaken. On the contrary, it'll make me slow down. "Over the top, buddy!"

My biggest peeve is people who speed up after you pull out to pass them and you end up drag racing to get back to the right lane to let the cars behind you get by.

Hitman23
02-21-11, 09:29 AM
I don't use them out of spite.
And if people piss me off on the roads, they get the horn and the finger. That's about it.I laugh at people who flip the bird. ooooohh you showed me a finger. :lol: It's so meaningless and people take it so seriously.

Bozidar
02-21-11, 09:41 AM
Never even thought about it. My headlights suck anyway, so they probably wouldn't even notice.
http://www.pbearschool.com/644~Eeyore-Posters.jpg

Bozidar
02-21-11, 09:53 AM
I used to, but i've calmed down a little since my youth. Generally speaking I dont use them, but in some rare cases I will.

If i'm trying to pass someone and they flat out refuse to move over, i'll try to go around them. If traffic conditions make that impossible, I will attempt to pass them, showing them I have the intention of passing them (some drivers assume that you've driven up behind them just for the joy of viewing their rear bumper). If the "look, i'm trying to pass you" trick doesn't get them to move over, I might flash the high-beams one time.

It's no less than a trooper will do to you if he wants to pass you, but they generally won't pull the "hey look, i'm trying to get by you" trick first, they just ride your bumper and hit the high beams.

I admit that i'm not beyond losing my temper, however. Horns have been honked, lights have been flashed, bumpers have been tailgated excessively. I'm not perfect.. but i'm trying to be better.

Hitman23
02-21-11, 09:58 AM
The one thing I refuse do is tailgate. I think as a driver it ranks up with drinking as one of the dumbest things you can do. You're putting all your faith, and safety, in the hands of the very person you're trying to piss off in front of you. If anything goes wrong in that scenario you may be seriously injured and 100% of the time you will be paying for the accident. People who tailgate me don't get me mad, they get me playful. And I know I'm in control. High beams will piss me off and I will retaliate. But riding someone's bumper I will never do. Complete disadvantage.

Tyler Durden
02-21-11, 01:26 PM
I use them late at night on country roads, or to signal to oncoming traffic about a hidden cop. Das it.

Same here.

The whole high beams/tailgating thing doesn't really work when you drive a low car in a world of SUVs.

yankeeschic12324
02-21-11, 08:35 PM
I laugh at people who flip the bird. ooooohh you showed me a finger. :lol: It's so meaningless and people take it so seriously.
:P I bet my record is cleaner than yours!
People do take it seriously, even though its such a simple gesture :D

yankeeschic12324
02-21-11, 08:36 PM
The one thing I refuse do is tailgate. I think as a driver it ranks up with drinking as one of the dumbest things you can do. You're putting all your faith, and safety, in the hands of the very person you're trying to piss off in front of you. If anything goes wrong in that scenario you may be seriously injured and 100% of the time you will be paying for the accident. People who tailgate me don't get me mad, they get me playful. And I know I'm in control. High beams will piss me off and I will retaliate. But riding someone's bumper I will never do. Complete disadvantage.

...wut?

....{snip} So once he passed me I got behind him and tailed him with my brights on. He was flipping out. See I drive a mid sized suv and he had a little dinky civic so my high beams were killing him. He'd move over, I'd move over. Finally I got to my exit and got off but it was fun because his POS car couldn't go much faster than it was so he couldn't get away from me.

Way to go! :2thumbs:

Hitman23
02-21-11, 09:43 PM
:P I bet my record is cleaner than yours!
People do take it seriously, even though its such a simple gesture :DMine is spotless. True story!

yankeeschic12324
02-21-11, 09:44 PM
Mine is spotless. True story!

Yeah, sure :P

2JAY
02-22-11, 12:17 AM
Yes, I am saying that. Speeding does not cause accidents, it makes them worse. Accidents are caused by bad drivers, wreckless drivers, drunk drivers, and often times just plan bad luck (hitting a patch of ice, nodding off, sudden traffic, etc..). Speeding cars definitely make accidents worse than they would be but IMHO they do not cause them. If cops put down their radar guns while loafing in their speed traps and actually got out there and pulled over bad drivers, the roads would be much safer.

In Germany they have no speed limit autobahns but if you drive badly you get taken off the road. I'm not saying I want to drive 100+ mph, I don't/wouldn't go more than 75-85 on the highway, I just find the obsession with speeding misplaced
1) I pull cars over all the time for high beam headlights.
2) I arrest approximayely 200 drivers a year for DUI and 75% are due to having been stopped for speeding.
3) How many motor vehicle accidents have you investigated in your lifetime because I see daily, accidents caused by excessive speed.

YankeePride1967
02-22-11, 07:34 AM
2) I arrest approximayely 200 drivers a year for DUI and 75% are due to having been stopped for speeding.
3) How many motor vehicle accidents have you investigated in your lifetime because I see daily, accidents caused by excessive speed.

It's going to be hard for anyone to convince me that a car going 75 MPH down a windy back road has no more of a chance of causing/getting into an accident than someone going the speed limit of 25. Forget 75, even 50.

Hitman23
02-22-11, 09:52 AM
Yeah, sure :PI'm serious. I'm a very careful driver. Until someone messes with me for no reason. I assess the situation and if retaliation is not going to interfere with anyone else on the road than I go for it. Otherwise I obey speed limits, I signal, always wear my belt and use hands free for phone calls. Seriously, my record is spotless. The only ticket I've gotten in the last 10 years was an overdue inspection that I forgot about.

Sharona1975
02-22-11, 10:02 AM
It's going to be hard for anyone to convince me that a car going 75 MPH down a windy back road has no more of a chance of causing/getting into an accident than someone going the speed limit of 25. Forget 75, even 50.
I don't think that's what GG means. He fancies himself a good driver and sure, a good driver can go 80 mph or faster on the interstate in normal conditions with no real concerns except for other drivers. I'm sure, as a good driver, he's capable of assessing the conditions and adjusting his speed accordingly when he's on a windy back road. The problem I see is that how often have you met someone that thinks they're a bad driver? When you talk to people it's always how the other guy isn't paying attention, cuts people off, tailgates, etc etc etc. Funny how we rarely hear from those people. And apparently they never post on message boards. I've yet to read a single post ever that starts with "I'm a rude, careless driver that causes accidents."

GordonGecko
02-22-11, 10:41 AM
I don't think that's what GG means. He fancies himself a good driver and sure, a good driver can go 80 mph or faster on the interstate in normal conditions with no real concerns except for other drivers. I'm sure, as a good driver, he's capable of assessing the conditions and adjusting his speed accordingly when he's on a windy back road. The problem I see is that how often have you met someone that thinks they're a bad driver? When you talk to people it's always how the other guy isn't paying attention, cuts people off, tailgates, etc etc etc. Funny how we rarely hear from those people. And apparently they never post on message boards. I've yet to read a single post ever that starts with "I'm a rude, careless driver that causes accidents."

Well to speak for myself, I do drive fast - usually 75 mph on the highway whether in a 55 or 65 zone, but if there is a car in front of me I don't tailgate. I back off and give them the 1.5-2 second distance, which I almost always get punished for from other cars who cut me off. I would consider myself a safe driver; I always signal, never drive after any alcohol, never been in an accident ever (even back in my 20ies).

2Jay, sorry for being a bit out of line, as you can tell I don't care much for officers on speeding duty. I don't mean that cops are lazy and I absolutely respect the law and appreciate the hard work you guys put in. But enough with the f'ing speed traps

I'm glad to know that you do pull over cars for high beams, I haven't heard much about that and it's good to know. Hopefully more cops can do the same. I do get your second point on catching drunks by virtue of their speeding, fair enough.

On your third point, I'm sure there are plenty of examples of accidents caused by excessive speed, like coming around the bend too fast into a bunch of stalled cars or having to stop suddenly on a slick road. But I'm going to stick to this opinion that the vast majority of accidents are caused by other factors, mainly BAD drivers. IMHO, slow drivers cause more accidents than fast drivers.

Bottom line is speed traps are easy money generators for the state, and I'd personally prefer that cops be assigned to ticketing bad drivers who can't stay in a lane or hog the left lane, cut people off, don't signal, drive 40 miles an hour on the interstate, etc...

YankeePride1967
02-22-11, 10:45 AM

If that is what he means, then I agree. But to just simply say speed has no factor in causing or getting into an accident, that I disagree with. I also think that overly cautious drivers can be equally as hazardous.

Yankee Tripper
02-22-11, 12:13 PM
If you are just speeding no. If you are driving like a dick weaving in and out of traffic or cut me off then yeah I totaly put the high beams on for spite if you get stuck in front of me.

teknetic
02-22-11, 06:12 PM
My sister-in-law does this, always. She'll keep it on the person driving for as long as they stay in front of her. My brother just abuses the hell out of his horn.

They've turned me off from ever wanting to drive :lol:

:(

YankeeGalSC
02-23-11, 10:37 AM
A person speeding cut me off last summer and forced me off the road...hitting 2 trees and my car was totaled as a result.

montrealer
02-23-11, 10:43 AM
Blinding oncoming traffic doesn't seem logical.............but that's just me.

theDurk
02-23-11, 11:09 AM
Blinding oncoming traffic doesn't seem logical.............but that's just me.

I will quickly flash an on-coming driver with his highs left on closer than he should, especially HID's. 4 out of 5 times they will quickly dim. You need to be sure, because hills and HID's can mislead you. A quick flash to a guy that forgot that results in a dim beats having ME blinded as the cars close.

montrealer
02-24-11, 09:51 AM
I will quickly flash an on-coming driver with his highs left on closer than he should, especially HID's. 4 out of 5 times they will quickly dim. You need to be sure, because hills and HID's can mislead you. A quick flash to a guy that forgot that results in a dim beats having ME blinded as the cars close.

Unless your Steve............then he'll make you pay.......:lol: even for a quickie