PDA

View Full Version : "Boardwalk Empire"

Pages : 1 [2]

Octoberbaby
11-15-10, 02:11 PM
12 episodes for the first season and it was picked up for a second season after the 1st or 2nd show.

Was the first episode two hours long?

Melan-cynic
11-15-10, 03:04 PM
Was the first episode two hours long?
Nah, like 70 minutes.

JavyVazquezIsSick
11-15-10, 05:34 PM
Watching awesome series like this one by one is FCKING torture.

theDurk
11-15-10, 10:24 PM
Watching awesome series like this one by one is FCKING torture.

Torture will be the wait for Season 2. It better return soon....

xenadanielle
11-16-10, 07:15 PM
I thought some scenes seemed...awkward I guess? I mean something in the dialog or the way they were shot.

Or maybe it was just that I was a bit....bamboozled at Margaret's gradual soul-dwindling. The "...my daughter didn't help you, I did" scene was one of the odd pieces.

The whole threesome scenario seemed stilted too--but maybe that was intentional. It wasn't a fun threesome. :lol:

And whoa-ho-ho to Van Alden's assistant being on the take! Awesome.

I am very psyched for next week, and also can't believe we only have three episodes left!

yanknbama
11-16-10, 09:47 PM
Sunday was absolutely the strongest episode of the series following up the weakest.....IMO

Octoberbaby
11-16-10, 11:04 PM
I thought some scenes seemed...awkward I guess? I mean something in the dialog or the way they were shot.

Or maybe it was just that I was a bit....bamboozled at Margaret's gradual soul-dwindling. The "...my daughter didn't help you, I did" scene was one of the odd pieces.

The whole threesome scenario seemed stilted too--but maybe that was intentional. It wasn't a fun threesome. :lol:

And whoa-ho-ho to Van Alden's assistant being on the take! Awesome.

I am very psyched for next week, and also can't believe we only have three episodes left!

Margaret started to get caught up in her own personal power. I think it was brilliant how the dress got full of blood from the lady who got shot instead of Nucky, enough to wake her up about what she has gotten into.

Mark19
11-22-10, 03:03 PM
Sort of a build-up episode -- Margaret is getting kind of annoying, she cooperates with Nucky and then has her 5 minutes of moral crisis -- I suspect we'll be seeing Harrow for the hit on the Dalesio brothers, should be awesome

Melan-cynic
11-22-10, 03:12 PM
Like JVIS said. Waiting a week between eps is agonizing.

JavyVazquezIsSick
11-22-10, 04:25 PM
Loved to see Harrow get more screentime.

Kind of an odd episode overall. I'm not sure where they are going with the fed being a wierdo angle.

yanknbama
11-22-10, 08:52 PM
Series' badass moment--- "Well I wasn't going to but you kinda talked me into it"

JDPNYY
11-22-10, 09:06 PM
Loved to see Harrow get more screentime.

Kind of an odd episode overall. I'm not sure where they are going with the fed being a wierdo angle.

He cracked. He tried to suppress it, but when he was chastised by his boss and then Margaret denied his advances... he cracked. It will be interesting to see where he goes from here.

JDPNYY
11-22-10, 09:09 PM
Series' badass moment--- "Well I wasn't going to but you kinda talked me into it"

I watched it twice last night (the second time during downtime during the football game, which meant I only missed about 5 minutes of the second viewing).

The scene with Chalkie, when they mentioned his Packard... during the second viewing you saw him react to them mentioning the Packard. It was terrific acting that you missed if you only saw it once.

I thought it was just another stellar episode. The opening scene was amazing.

xenadanielle
11-22-10, 09:59 PM
I'm getting sort of disenchanted with Margaret. Especially when she was all "BUT HE FRIGHTENS THE CHIIIIIILLDRRUUUNNN" about Richard Harrow. He won them over.

Also...I can totally see Angela and Mrs. Photographer as Gertrude Stein and Alice B. Toklas wanna-be's in Paris. That scene with Jimmy giving Mr the beatdown was scary as hell.

Octoberbaby
11-22-10, 10:50 PM
I'm getting sort of disenchanted with Margaret. Especially when she was all "BUT HE FRIGHTENS THE CHIIIIIILLDRRUUUNNN" about Richard Harrow. He won them over.

Also...I can totally see Angela and Mrs. Photographer as Gertrude Stein and Alice B. Toklas wanna-be's in Paris. That scene with Jimmy giving Mr the beatdown was scary as hell.

Neither of them is as ugly as Gertrude Stein though.

The Greek
11-28-10, 09:23 PM
Van Alden is truly a psychopath.

This episodes went by slower than what I had hoped with the previews but it was still a great episode in my opinion.

Did I expect more action this episode? Yes. Am I disappointed? No. Why? Because next week is the season finale and at least one storyline has to come to a close. The previews for next week look sick and obviously those do not lie since it is just one episode left. They're definitely going to go out with some kind of bang. Plus tonight's episode was definitely really good.

Stuff is really heating up now:

SPOILERS AHEAD

Eli out as Sheriff, O'Halloran replacing him.
Commodore is Jimmy's dad.
Commodore dying and believed to be poisoned by his wife aka Jimmy's mom.
Margaret and Nucky having a huge argument (where she confronts him on all his misdoings) and Margaret leaving Nucky.
Rothstein going to Chicago and by the looks of it (from the previews) working together with Torrio.
Van Alden killing Sebso via drowning by baptism (first ever death on screen this way for sure).
The photography couple ditching Jimmy's wife (or they were killed by Jimmy).

Octoberbaby
11-29-10, 02:25 AM
I wonder if Van Alden drowning that agent was based on a true story. If so, it is really f***ed up!

Yankees1962
11-29-10, 04:21 AM
I wonder if Van Alden drowning that agent was based on a true story. If so, it is really f***ed up!
A lot of this series is truly fiction which makes it so good because it's mixing actual history with a lot of fiction.

Melan-cynic
11-29-10, 10:29 AM
Yeah, the whole Rothstein bit is fabricated but great storytelling nonetheless.

OlgMvp
11-29-10, 10:35 AM
I'm just glad we finally got an expaination as to why Jimmy's mother is so damn young and hot. At first I thought it was a miscast, glad it was finally cleared up.

Yankees1962
11-29-10, 10:39 AM
Let's remember that the series is currently taking place in 1920. There are several years of material between then and when events work themselves out with Torrio, Capone, Luciano, Meyer, Rothstein and even Nucky for that matter. A lot can happen between 1920 and the late 20s, when Nucky and Atlantic City hosted two different organized crime conferences.

RhodyYanksFan
11-29-10, 11:48 AM
I love the show but I'm so far behind.

Sixty one
11-29-10, 02:31 PM
I wonder if Van Alden is going to get away with murdering his assistant? I also loved how they got the Ponzi scandal into this episode.

Octoberbaby
11-29-10, 02:38 PM
A lot of this series is truly fiction which makes it so good because it's mixing actual history with a lot of fiction.

Yeah, but a lot is based on fact so it would be interesting to know what is based on fact and what is not.

Also, I couldn't believe that minister just stood there while Van Alden drowned his assistant.

xenadanielle
11-29-10, 02:49 PM
Yeah, but a lot is based on fact so it would be interesting to know what is based on fact and what is not.

Also, I couldn't believe that minister just stood there while Van Alden drowned his assistant.

I was wondering that too...I hope Van Alden gets his.

If Gillian is poisoning the Commodore, I guess she is in cahoots with his maid? I wonder of the maid is tied to any of the Chalky White contingent and it's tied to Nucky too? Oy.

I'm afraid of what Jimmy will do to Angela.

The bf sat and watched with me last night, and I did not realize how much has happened that I had to explain. I think he only watched the first episode....

Octoberbaby
11-29-10, 02:58 PM
I was wondering that too...I hope Van Alden gets his.

If Gillian is poisoning the Commodore, I guess she is in cahoots with his maid? I wonder of the maid is tied to any of the Chalky White contingent and it's tied to Nucky too? Oy.

I'm afraid of what Jimmy will do to Angela.

The bf sat and watched with me last night, and I did not realize how much has happened that I had to explain. I think he only watched the first episode....

That means the BF missed almost the whole season. Next week is the finale.

As for the poisoning I didn't quite get it who was trying to poison him. So you think it was Jimmy's mother? Then why was he asking her what the father was worth, because he wants to be in on it? In the coming attraction it looked like the old guy was feeling better so is Jimmy putting a stop to the scheme?

Melan-cynic
11-29-10, 03:43 PM
Yes, Jimmy's mother was definitely poisoning him.

Mark19
11-29-10, 04:03 PM
I'm a bit worried this is going the way of Big Love -- way too many plot threads and an inadequate resolution.

xenadanielle
11-29-10, 06:39 PM
That means the BF missed almost the whole season. Next week is the finale.

As for the poisoning I didn't quite get it who was trying to poison him. So you think it was Jimmy's mother? Then why was he asking her what the father was worth, because he wants to be in on it? In the coming attraction it looked like the old guy was feeling better so is Jimmy putting a stop to the scheme?

Yeah the bf does not really care for any of the more involved shows I like. He is usually watching Ice Road Truckers or football on Sunday nights.

One more thing...how scary and cold was Richard Harrow suddenly? When describing going to Philly and killing off all the D'Allesios including their mom.

Mark19
11-29-10, 08:08 PM
Yeah the bf does not really care for any of the more involved shows I like. He is usually watching Ice Road Truckers or football on Sunday nights.

One more thing...how scary and cold was Richard Harrow suddenly? When describing going to Philly and killing off all the D'Allesios including their mom.

That is why he remains the least complicated yet most interesting character

NewEraYanks2527
11-30-10, 05:59 AM
I'm a bit worried this is going the way of Big Love -- way too many plot threads and an inadequate resolution. Oh I think we are at least 12 more additional plot lines away from this having the amount Big Love crammed into a ten episode season.

JavyVazquezIsSick
11-30-10, 06:00 AM
Needs more killing.

I love the fact Harrow was willing to kill kids and women. Best character ever.

NewEraYanks2527
11-30-10, 06:18 AM
Needs more killing.

I love the fact Harrow was willing to kill kids and women. Best character ever. I knew you would be commenting on that.

"If I kill the mother and the sisters...maybe...that will get them...to stick their heads up."

JavyVazquezIsSick
11-30-10, 07:40 AM
I loved it. Harrow is the man.

I want so many people dead. I'd love a Godfather 1 ending to the season.

Yankees1962
11-30-10, 10:38 AM
Something tells me those brothers from Philly are going to be exterminated except for maybe the dentist. Looks like Harrow is blowing somebody away along with Capone and Luciano. Also, Jimmy might be wasting somebody too.

teknetic
12-01-10, 03:14 PM
I can't stand the Schroeder widow. She goes from broke to living the life and then turns on the dude responsible for it all.

"If he wasn't Houdini's brother, nobody would give a f...."

Nucky is the man.

Octoberbaby
12-01-10, 03:16 PM
I can't stand the Schroeder widow. She goes from broke to living the life and then turns on the dude responsible for it all. Kill her already.

Especially since her husband was beating her. She should be kissing Nucky's feet for getting rid of the guy!

PlsDontTearDownY.S.
12-01-10, 03:44 PM

I'd have just stood there too unless I had a sawed off under my frock. Van Alden is insane in a very disturbing way

Octoberbaby
12-01-10, 03:51 PM
I'd have just stood there too unless I had a sawed off under my frock. Van Alden is insane in a very disturbing way

Maybe so, but he was outnumbered with all those people there. All the minister had to do was give the word and they all could have overpowered him.

theDurk
12-01-10, 04:15 PM
Maybe so, but he was outnumbered with all those people there. All the minister had to do was give the word and they all could have overpowered him.

1 Nut case with badge and gun handles church group with no problem. They aren't going to take bullets to stop one whitey fed cop doing in another whitey fed cop. I wouldn't either.

Octoberbaby
12-01-10, 04:22 PM
1 Nut case with badge and gun handles church group with no problem. They aren't going to take bullets to stop one whitey fed cop doing in another whitey fed cop. I wouldn't either.

Good point. So much for doing God's work.

Melan-cynic
12-01-10, 04:49 PM
Not to mention it's prohibition era America. Not exactly the time for blacks to take on a white Federal agent unless they all wanted to get lynched.

Yankees1962
12-02-10, 08:08 AM
Lynchings were a common practice with the KKK resurgence in the 1920s.

Melan-cynic
12-02-10, 11:37 AM
Lynchings were a common practice with the KKK resurgence in the 1920s.
^^^^^

Yankees1962
12-02-10, 12:01 PM
I'm thinking that Chalky is going to hear about this drowning and then feed that information to Nucky.

Yankees1962
12-06-10, 04:24 AM
A great episode.

This won't be the last time those certain invididuals meet in Atlantic City to discuss mob business. Partnerships are being formed which leads to organized crime.

NewEraYanks2527
12-06-10, 05:59 AM
Great finale, very Godfather baptism scene for the brothers while Nucky was giving the press conference.

Melan-cynic
12-06-10, 09:56 AM
very Godfather baptism scene for the brothers while Nucky was giving the press conference.
Yep. Wish it lasted longer.

More assassin with shotgun.

Mark19
12-06-10, 03:22 PM
Effective but tame finale -- can understand why they didn't drop a bombshell or leave it with a cliffhanger, 1st seasons often need to be developed around the possibility they won't be re-upped.

Wiping out the Dalesio Bros was pretty nice though, Harrow almost looks like he's smiling due to the way his mask is angled.

NYDCYankee
12-06-10, 09:28 PM
Good finale, but overall a disappointing season.

Melan-cynic
12-06-10, 09:35 PM
Good finale, but overall a disappointing season.
Wtf? Couldn't disagree more.

JDPNYY
12-06-10, 09:37 PM
Effective but tame finale -- can understand why they didn't drop a bombshell or leave it with a cliffhanger, 1st seasons often need to be developed around the possibility they won't be re-upped.

Wiping out the Dalesio Bros was pretty nice though, Harrow almost looks like he's smiling due to the way his mask is angled.

I agree it was very good, but somehow I was a little disappointed with the finale. Lots of set up for season two.

On a good note. I can now not hope the weekends end so fast so I can catch a Sunday Night episode.

It was a stellar season. Kudos to all involved.

NYDCYankee
12-06-10, 09:48 PM
Wtf? Couldn't disagree more.

It was just OK for me. The show was really being hyped going into the season, and for me it fell flat more often than not. It is an ambitious project and in many ways an achievement but just because a show is more of a period piece, like Mad Men, doesn't automatically make it great.

I like the Jimmy Darmody character and Chalky White and a few of the lesser characters were spectacular. But a few of the main characters really drag down the show.

Agent Van Alden, for one, is absolutely ridiculous, and horribly written. Which is really a shame because I think Michael Shannon is a great actor.

But again, I thought the finale was good. And I will keep watching no matter what because it is an HBO product, but I was disappointed and if I had an Emmy ballot I probably wouldn't nominate it for best drama.

Melan-cynic
12-06-10, 10:27 PM
It was just OK for me. The show was really being hyped going into the season, and for me it fell flat more often than not. It is an ambitious project and in many ways an achievement but just because a show is more of a period piece, like Mad Men, doesn't automatically make it great.
And I said that when?

For the record, I hate Mad Men. Think it's overhyped, pretentious, garbage.

Empire, on the other hand, I think is superbly written, acted and directed. Couldn't be happier with it and I had it hyped very much in my head going in.

NYDCYankee
12-06-10, 10:57 PM
And I said that when?

I didn't say that you did.

Empire, on the other hand, I think is superbly written, acted and directed. Couldn't be happier with it and I had it hyped very much in my head going in.

Different strokes for different folks I guess. I think the writing is pretty weak, and some of the acting is really lacking (though some people do shine). The directing is pretty good though, I'll give you that.

One of the problems with BE, in my opinion, is that you don't really care that much about any of the characters at least I don't, and that is a problem. Finally though in the very last episode of the season you started to feel for Nucky after hearing the story about his wife and baby.

Melan-cynic
12-06-10, 11:35 PM
Yeah, you implied it, and very transparently I might add.

I think the writing is pretty weak, and some of the acting is really lacking (though some people do shine). The directing is pretty good though, I'll give you that.
Weak acting? Pitt and Shannon are both fantastic in it and Buscemi stepped up to the plate big time in his first shot at the lead in a major project. Kelly Macdonald stands out as usual as well. Where is the weak link? Those are the four major roles.

The writing? Wow. Aptly based off a fantastic book.

But ok, agree to disagree.

Octoberbaby
12-06-10, 11:35 PM

Different strokes for different folks I guess. I think the writing is pretty weak, and some of the acting is really lacking (though some people do shine). The directing is pretty good though, I'll give you that.

One of the problems with BE, in my opinion, is that you don't really care that much about any of the characters at least I don't, and that is a problem. Finally though in the very last episode of the season you started to feel for Nucky after hearing the story about his wife and baby.

I couldn't disagree more. This is an excellent show. And so is Mad Men, BTW, period piece or not.

Mark19
12-06-10, 11:41 PM
For the last decade HBO has specialized at creating compelling characters who are hard to like as people but easy to sympathize with. It started with the Sopranos and you can see it in almost all of their recent creations -- even quirkier series like Eastbound & Down, Big Love and Deadwood.

NYDCYankee
12-06-10, 11:51 PM
For the last decade HBO has specialized at creating compelling characters who are hard to like as people but easy to sympathize with. It started with the Sopranos and you can see it in almost all of their recent creations -- even quirkier series like Eastbound & Down, Big Love and Deadwood.

But you still feel for the characters and you feel weird about it on the inside. That is what makes those types of characters so great. Dexter is a perfect example of this.

I don't really fell much for most of the characters in Boardwalk Empire. It hasn't achieved that yet.

NYDCYankee
12-06-10, 11:56 PM
I couldn't disagree more. This is an excellent show. And so is Mad Men, BTW, period piece or not.

Hey I love Mad Men too. And I haven't said BE is a bad show, it's pretty good, certainly better than a lot of TV dramas. But I expected more out of it given all the hype. Many of the episodes just fell flat for me.

And there aren't many characters that I miss when they aren't on screen. A few, but really not any of the leads.

Octoberbaby
12-07-10, 01:47 AM
Hey I love Mad Men too. And I haven't said BE is a bad show, it's pretty good, certainly better than a lot of TV dramas. But I expected more out of it given all the hype. Many of the episodes just fell flat for me.

And there aren't many characters that I miss when they aren't on screen. A few, but really not any of the leads.

I will admit that none compare to Tony Soprano. As good an actor as Steve Buscemi is I don't care as much about his character as I did about Tony. However, more will be revealed and I could change my mind if they flesh out the Nucky character more next season.

Yankees1962
12-07-10, 04:22 AM
By the way, I wonder what was in that bible that the maid gave to Nucky? I'm wondering if he's been warned about the Commodore and his brother. Also, I wonder if Jimmy will have some ambivalence in turning on Nucky.

JavyVazquezIsSick
12-07-10, 04:13 PM
Whoa. Amazingness.

teknetic
12-07-10, 06:23 PM
Who did Lucky and his lackey kill toward the end? Seemed like a random dude?

Yankees1962
12-08-10, 11:14 AM
Who did Lucky and his lackey kill toward the end? Seemed like a random dude?
Meyer Lansky a lackey?

yanknbama
12-08-10, 10:48 PM

Oddly enough, the most intriguing and "missed" character to me is Rothstein. Such a calm and quiet demeanor but with volatility sensed just below the surface. Something tells me that pact won't be lasting too long.

Holy crap. Just realized that is Michael Stuhlbarg (Larry Gopnik from "Simple Man"). Love wow moments like that.

Octoberbaby
12-09-10, 12:14 AM
Oddly enough, the most intriguing and "missed" character to me is Rothstein. Such a calm and quiet demeanor but with volatility sensed just below the surface. Something tells me that pact won't be lasting too long.

Holy crap. Just realized that is Michael Stuhlbarg (Larry Gopnik from "Simple Man"). Love wow moments like that.

Rothstein is also one of my favorite characters. I knew he looked familiar, I did see Simple Man and he was great in that too.

yanknbama
12-09-10, 01:08 AM

And by "Simple", I obviously mean "Serious".

Yankees1962
12-09-10, 01:45 AM

Then they're rewriting actual history.

Melan-cynic
12-09-10, 02:03 AM
Which we already established is happening. If anyone read the book you'd know the Rothstein and NY angle is totally fabricated.

You said it yourself:

yanknbama
12-09-10, 02:06 AM
Then they're rewriting actual history.

Woops. Unaware of the historical accuracy or relevance of that particular relationship.

Yankees1962
12-09-10, 02:24 AM
Woops. Unaware of the historical accuracy or relevance of that particular relationship.
They could very well have some future disagreements, but Nucky hosted two organized crime conferences in Atlantic City. Most of those guys present at that meeting near the beach in Atlantic City attended those conferences in the late 20s.

yanknbama
12-12-10, 12:28 AM
I already miss it.

xenadanielle
12-12-10, 12:29 PM
By the way, I wonder what was in that bible that the maid gave to Nucky? I'm wondering if he's been warned about the Commodore and his brother. Also, I wonder if Jimmy will have some ambivalence in turning on Nucky.

I'm really wondering about that too!

I already miss it.

Yes, it only just dawned on me that it won't be on tonight. Sadness.

krystl
12-12-10, 01:45 PM
I still haven't watched the last episode. I start to and then I fall asleep. I've made 2 attempts already. Maybe tonight. :lol:

Octoberbaby
12-12-10, 03:47 PM
I still haven't watched the last episode. I start to and then I fall asleep. I've made 2 attempts already. Maybe tonight. :lol:

I fell asleep on it when I watched it last Sunday night. Then I went back and watched it all over again during the week and it was a good thing. There was about 15 minutes I missed that explained a lot of things!

krystl
12-12-10, 04:34 PM
I fell asleep on it when I watched it last Sunday night. Then I went back and watched it all over again during the week and it was a good thing. There was about 15 minutes I missed that explained a lot of things!
Yeah, I'm going to have to watch it from the beginning, too. We recorded it on the bedroom TiVo, and it won't let us transfer it downstairs because of copyright protection (never saw that before), so by the time we go up to bed, I'm too tired to watch the whole thing.

Octoberbaby
12-13-10, 02:35 PM
Yeah, I'm going to have to watch it from the beginning, too. We recorded it on the bedroom TiVo, and it won't let us transfer it downstairs because of copyright protection (never saw that before), so by the time we go up to bed, I'm too tired to watch the whole thing.

I know what you mean. I have taken to recording the same shows in both the LR and the BR for that reason.

xenadanielle
12-15-10, 08:24 PM
I'm watching a re-run, and it's very interesting to watch Nucky's reaction to his worker's story about his premature infant, in light of what we know now.

xenadanielle
12-15-10, 09:04 PM
Actually, I guess this is a marathon on HBO2 right now.

RhodyYanksFan
12-17-10, 09:06 AM
Finally got to the finale last night. Like I said in another thread, this could have easily been a "bite off more than you can chew" endeavor, but despite it's flaws I still love the show and will continue to watch. As for what NYDC said about caring about the characters, I'm not totally in yet, but I think Buscemi is doing a fine job of making the conflicted character work. Sometimes Nucky can be the most generous nicest guy in the City and then 20 minutes later he'll do something unbelievably heinous to benefit himself - yet you don't hate him.

The best characters are Richard and Chalky, even though they weren't given much to work with. Can't wait to see where things go from here regarding Eli & the Commodore. BTW, what exactly is a commodore?

xenadanielle
12-17-10, 09:14 AM
Finally got to the finale last night. Like I said in another thread, this could have easily been a "bite off more than you can chew" endeavor, but despite it's flaws I still love the show and will continue to watch. As for what NYDC said about caring about the characters, I'm not totally in yet, but I think Buscemi is doing a fine job of making the conflicted character work. Sometimes Nucky can be the most generous nicest guy in the City and then 20 minutes later he'll do something unbelievably heinous to benefit himself - yet you don't hate him.

The best characters are Richard and Chalky, even though they weren't given much to work with. Can't wait to see where things go from here regarding Eli & the Commodore. BTW, what exactly is a commodore?

I've wondered that myself...I know there is a Commodore Barry Bridge that goes from NJ into PA.

RhodyYanksFan
12-17-10, 09:38 AM
Commodore: a commissioned naval officer who ranks above a captain and below a rear admiral; the lowest grade of admiral

xenadanielle
04-06-11, 08:33 PM
Somewhat related...

Ken Burns is doing a prohibition documentary.

http://www.pbs.org/kenburns/upcoming/

(I'm watching "The Civil War" right now).

RhodyYanksFan
04-07-11, 07:20 AM
Somewhat related...

Ken Burns is doing a prohibition documentary.

http://www.pbs.org/kenburns/upcoming/

(I'm watching "The Civil War" right now).

Awesome news! His last two films (WWII and National Parks) have been his best IMO. WWII because it's WWII and the National Parks because he took something that we all take for granted and hardly ever think about - and honestly sounds like a really boring premise for a documentary - and made a wonderful, educational narrative about it.

For anyone interested in prohibition, a really good book came out last year. "Last Call: The Rise & Fall of Prohibition". I thoroughly enjoyed it.
http://www.amazon.com/Last-Call-Rise-Fall-Prohibition/dp/0743277023/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1302178857&sr=8-1

I have the Boardwalk Empire book on my Nook. I hope to get to it this summer.

On another note, have they started filming season 2 yet? Will it be back this fall?

xenadanielle
04-07-11, 12:11 PM
Awesome news! His last two films (WWII and National Parks) have been his best IMO. WWII because it's WWII and the National Parks because he took something that we all take for granted and hardly ever think about - and honestly sounds like a really boring premise for a documentary - and made a wonderful, educational narrative about it.

For anyone interested in prohibition, a really good book came out last year. "Last Call: The Rise & Fall of Prohibition". I thoroughly enjoyed it.
http://www.amazon.com/Last-Call-Rise-Fall-Prohibition/dp/0743277023/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1302178857&sr=8-1

I have the Boardwalk Empire book on my Nook. I hope to get to it this summer.

On another note, have they started filming season 2 yet? Will it be back this fall?

I don't know about the BE filming.. but aren't True Blood and Treme going to be back soon? Or at least in the summer or something?

Have you been watching Mildred Pierce? I have not been at all, though I feel like I should be. :lol:

RhodyYanksFan
04-07-11, 12:44 PM
I don't know about the BE filming.. but aren't True Blood and Treme going to be back soon? Or at least in the summer or something?

Have you been watching Mildred Pierce? I have not been at all, though I feel like I should be. :lol:

No to Mildred Pierce. Even with HBOs track record I can't get excited enough to watch 4 weeks worth of a depression era widow story.

Game of Thrones and Treme start later this month, then True Blood in the summer so I'm hoping BE comes back in September.

krystl
04-07-11, 12:51 PM

I really wanted to watch Mildred Pierce, because they filmed parts of it very close to where I live and Shannen and I watched some of the filming one day. It was really cool how they transformed the little city to look like old southern California. One of Shannen's friend's moms was an extra in it, too.

BUT, we got rid of HBO and all the movie channels to lower our cable bill and forgot to get it back before MP started. How long is it running for and are they repeating the episodes at all?

xenadanielle
04-07-11, 01:12 PM
No to Mildred Pierce. Even with HBOs track record I can't get excited enough to watch 4 weeks worth of a depression era widow story.

Game of Thrones and Treme start later this month, then True Blood in the summer so I'm hoping BE comes back in September.

:lol: Yes, pretty much...

I really wanted to watch Mildred Pierce, because they filmed parts of it very close to where I live and Shannen and I watched some of the filming one day. It was really cool how they transformed the little city to look like old southern California. One of Shannen's friend's moms was an extra in it, too.

BUT, we got rid of HBO and all the movie channels to lower our cable bill and forgot to get it back before MP started. How long is it running for and are they repeating the episodes at all?

Oh, I think I remember you talking about that! I have no idea how long it will be on..maybe 4 wks like Rhody said? For some reason I think 5? And yes they are repeating episodes.

krystl
04-07-11, 01:25 PM
:lol: Yes, pretty much...

Oh, I think I remember you talking about that! I have no idea how long it will be on..maybe 4 wks like Rhody said? For some reason I think 5? And yes they are repeating episodes.
Hmm, I wonder if I should call and have HBO added just for the month. I don't know how many episodes I missed, though. I believe it started on March 27.

RhodyYanksFan
04-07-11, 01:49 PM
It'll eventually be on DVD/netflix.

krystl
04-07-11, 01:53 PM
It'll eventually be on DVD/netflix.
Yep, I think I'll wait. I looked on HBO's site, and they are re-running the first 2 episodes one time, on the 22nd. But its HBO East, which I don't even know if we get. So I'll just wait.

Octoberbaby
04-07-11, 04:23 PM

I have been watching Mildred Pierce and I have been enjoying it. I did notice that they did not film in in California which I thought was odd since it was set in California.

Yep, I think I'll wait. I looked on HBO's site, and they are re-running the first 2 episodes one time, on the 22nd. But its HBO East, which I don't even know if we get. So I'll just wait.

I believe HBO East is what you should have. I have HBO West, that is for the West Coast and I also have HBO East which is for the East Coast. Actually the programming is usually the same on both except for the time difference. In the East it is aired three hours earlier here than the HBO West channel. Also, if you subscribe to HBO, even for a month, you will have access to HBO On Demand so you can watch it on there. At least I get HBO On Demand included in my Time Warner subscription to HBO.

krystl
04-07-11, 04:28 PM
I have been watching Mildred Pierce and I have been enjoying it. I did notice that they did not film in in California which I thought was odd since it was set in California.

I believe HBO East is what you should have. I have HBO West, that is for the West Coast and I also have HBO East which is for the East Coast. Actually the programming is usually the same on both except for the time difference. In the East it is aired three hours earlier here than the HBO West channel. Also, if you subscribe to HBO, even for a month, you will have access to HBO On Demand so you can watch it on there. At least I get HBO On Demand included in my Time Warner subscription to HBO.
It was quite interesting, watching them bring in potted palm trees by the truckload. Downtown just looked so odd with them there. Plus, they changed all the store fronts with fake signs and even had things in the windows, like a 5&10 with all old products and prices. It was pretty cool to walk around and see. And all the old cars, street signs and actors in costume. It was something!

I think they picked it because it closely resembled California during that era, as much of the architecture is very old there. I would think Cali has some of that itself, though.

Octoberbaby
04-07-11, 08:34 PM
It was quite interesting, watching them bring in potted palm trees by the truckload. Downtown just looked so odd with them there. Plus, they changed all the store fronts with fake signs and even had things in the windows, like a 5&10 with all old products and prices. It was pretty cool to walk around and see. And all the old cars, street signs and actors in costume. It was something!

I think they picked it because it closely resembled California during that era, as much of the architecture is very old there. I would think Cali has some of that itself, though.

They have it here in spades, especially in Glendale (where the story is set) and Pasadena (nearby). The production company probably got a better deal out of state.

Brooklyn Yankee Fan
04-09-11, 10:04 AM
Tomorrow is the (final) Part 5 of Mildred, running two hours long.

I've watched the series thus far, and I've enjoyed it. HBO and its ability to produce such good shows with such great dialogue keeps me watching.

Octoberbaby
04-10-11, 03:47 AM
It is actually Parts 4 and 5 back to back.

Brooklyn Yankee Fan
04-10-11, 05:07 PM
It is actually Parts 4 and 5 back to back.

Woops, I forgot to write 4.

Does anyone know why it was limited to only 5 parts? Tonight's finisher sees Veda much older with a career in music, so time progresses, making the series seemed like it was rushed.

Octoberbaby
04-10-11, 06:07 PM
Woops, I forgot to write 4.

Does anyone know why it was limited to only 5 parts? Tonight's finisher sees Veda much older with a career in music, so time progresses, making the series seemed like it was rushed.

Well, it's a lot longer than the original 2 hour movie.

OlgMvp
04-10-11, 10:48 PM
BTW...Michael Shannon has now been cast in the new superman film, as general Zod.

zeebod
04-11-11, 05:01 AM
really got into it

Brooklyn Yankee Fan
04-11-11, 06:42 PM
Because I didn't know the original story/movie of Mildred Pierce, the way Part 5 of the HBO version last night unfolded was :eek: to me. I did not expect that at all.

HBO never disappoints.

Octoberbaby
04-11-11, 09:02 PM
Because I didn't know the original story/movie of Mildred Pierce, the way Part 5 of the HBO version last night unfolded was :eek: to me. I did not expect that at all.

HBO never disappoints.

I am not sure the original movie ended that same way. I saw it a long time ago and I don't remember the strangling part. They were following closely with the book which differed from the Hollywood movie treatment given to the original movie. The ending makes me want to watch it all over again. :)

xenadanielle
04-20-11, 05:14 PM
Not related to the show per se (but one of its actors), but has anyone else been following this debacle about Paz de la Huerta? Not that I am or anything. :-whistle-

I am sure it will make some of you drool from catfight quotient alone. :lol:

http://www.nydailynews.com/gossip/2011/04/19/2011-04-19_paz_de_la_huerta_charged_with_assault_possession_of_a_weapon_in_bar_brawl_with_s.html

Octoberbaby
04-20-11, 07:29 PM
Not related to the show per se (but one of its actors), but has anyone else been following this debacle about Paz de la Huerta? Not that I am or anything. :-whistle-

I am sure it will make some of you drool from catfight quotient alone. :lol:

http://www.nydailynews.com/gossip/2011/04/19/2011-04-19_paz_de_la_huerta_charged_with_assault_possession_of_a_weapon_in_bar_brawl_with_s.html
She is scary looking.

RhodyYanksFan
04-21-11, 11:18 AM
She is scary looking.

Yeah, she's the definition of a butterface.

Hitman23
04-21-11, 11:27 AM
Yeah she is pretty hideous.

xenadanielle
04-21-11, 11:36 AM
She is scary looking.

I don't think I would eff with her; funny that Lucy seems to be just like her. She does not even have to act. :lol:

RhodyYanksFan
04-26-11, 07:54 AM
I started reading the book Boardwalk Empire last night. It's a complete history of the City, starting with its founding as a health retreat location and cheap competition for Cape May in the 1840s. So far so good.

OlgMvp
04-26-11, 05:21 PM
Love Cape May, used to vacation there all the time as a kid with the family.