PDA

View Full Version : Report: Thierry Henry to join the New York Red Bulls after the World Cup

YanksFan1992
05-14-10, 09:43 PM
http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/1110/major-league-soccer/2010/05/14/1924666/barcelonas-thierry-henry-has-signed-pre-contract-with-mls

As reported by Sport, Barcelona striker and French goalscoring legend Thierry Henry has signed a pre-contract agreement that will see him move to the United States' <mashlogic class="mashlogic mashlink-goal-com-headlines mashlink" li-term="Major League Soccer" mashbutton="goal@mashlogic.com">Major League Soccer</mashlogic> to play with the <mashlogic class="mashlogic mashlink-goal-com-headlines mashlink" li-term="New York Red Bulls" mashbutton="goal@mashlogic.com">New York Red Bulls</mashlogic> after the World Cup.

Obviously he's not as good as he once was, but unlike Beckham was when he came to the US, he's still close to the top of his game.

The Greek
05-14-10, 10:13 PM
No. He's done. When you sign with the MLS, it's a signal that your career is effectively over. Can't blame him though. Age just caught up to him.

TheManKnownAsMecca
05-14-10, 10:17 PM
The seventeen New York Red Bulls fans are going wild right now!

cyhughes22
05-14-10, 11:25 PM
Not to mention Arsenal fans. I only got to see him once at Highbury you can bet I'll be attending several Red Bulls games even though he isn't what he once was.

PlsDontTearDownY.S.
05-18-10, 02:51 PM
No. He's done. When you sign with the MLS, it's a signal that your career is effectively over. Can't blame him though. Age just caught up to him.

Done in Europe, but I think he will light it up in MLS if he comes. I'd definitely go to watch. The new stadium is really well done and would be packed every time out with Henry.

ajra21
05-20-10, 02:33 PM
oh thierry, you are so much better than this.

bnorris85
05-20-10, 11:51 PM
wow!!

YanksFan1992
05-21-10, 12:16 AM

Someone's an MLS fan.

Jilali
05-21-10, 12:49 AM
Very cool, I'll have to check out my first MLS game in years now. One of my favorite alltime players. Hopefully he'll get a sense of what it takes to do well here from Ljunberg. It can be a good fit for for aging stars who want to work still, and I think he's still got enough game. Heck, if he's still playing for the French national team, then by definition, he's got enough game for the MLS.

cyhughes22
05-21-10, 01:20 AM

Maybe. But at least it's a step up from Liverpool.:D

dabomb2045
05-21-10, 01:24 AM
So when a bigtime European soccer star comes to the MLS....is that the equivalent of a washed up former MLB player going to play in Japan because he cant find a job with any MLB team?

cyhughes22
05-21-10, 01:40 AM
So when a bigtime European soccer star comes to the MLS....is that the equivalent of a washed up former MLB player going to play in Japan because he cant find a job with any MLB team?

I don't think it's quite the same because there are teams in Europe that would gladly have him and some pretty good ones at that, just as obviously Milan still wanted Beckham. It's more of the realization that they're nearing the end and there isn't much more for them to do in Europe. Instead they can extend their fame to a fairly untapped market here in the states and get paid very handsomely to try and grow the game here. I don't really see a problem with it but then I'm a die hard Arsenal supporter and Thierry Henry is one of my favorite players of all time.

sprucemoose
05-21-10, 03:50 PM
Are we sure that he's not coming to New York to play for the Knicks?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRLWMeDCx_U&feature=related

NyQuil
05-23-10, 01:14 PM
Hehehe.

Like I said when it happened, I'd feel sorry for the Irish team if Aiden McGeady didn't play for them.

YanksFan1992
07-14-10, 11:04 AM
It's official.

Thierry Henry, the French striker who last played for the Spanish league champions F.C. Barcelona, has signed a contract to join the Red Bulls as a designated player, the club announced early Wednesday morning.

Henry’s move to the United States and Major League Soccer has been one of the more poorly kept secrets in soccer, but the club made the deal official via text message to its mobile mailing list early Wednesday. It also quickly had the announcement posted on its Web site.

The Red Bulls’ said Henry would make his debut July 22 against the English club Tottenham Hotspur.

http://goal.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/07/14/red-bulls-make-henry-signing-official/?ref=global

b_joseph
07-14-10, 11:47 AM
Good move..hopefully he can play at a high level and not just be a big reputation with no substance.

Any press conference announced yet?

YanksFan1992
07-14-10, 11:53 AM
Good move..hopefully he can play at a high level and not just be a big reputation with no substance.

Any press conference announced yet?

From the Red Bulls website:

Henry will be introduced at a press conference on Thursday, July 15 at Red Bull Arena in Harrison, NJ at 1:15 PM. The press conference will be streamed live on www.newyorkredbulls.com.

YanksFan1992
07-14-10, 09:13 PM
I think he'll do a whole lot better than Beckham did, and him and Angel are certainly a formidable combination. Couple this with their beautiful new ground, and I'd encourage anyone in the Tri-State area who has any interest in soccer to check out a game.

Hobbes40
07-14-10, 10:44 PM
I'm hoping to catch a game - it's exciting to have a player of that caliber, even past his prime, playing in New York!

DRobertsonNYY
07-14-10, 11:45 PM
Haven't seen Thierry Henry in a year or so, but if he has any sort of pace like he used to have, he's gonna dominate in the MLS. Not nearly enough good strikers in the MLS. When Edson Buddle is the best striker in the MLS, you have issues.

YanksFan1992
07-15-10, 12:14 AM
Haven't seen Thierry Henry in a year or so, but if he has any sort of pace like he used to have, he's gonna dominate in the MLS. Not nearly enough good strikers in the MLS. When Edson Buddle is the best striker in the MLS, you have issues.

Juan Pablo Angel is a beast for the Red Bulls as well. They really have no excuse not to finish in the top four of the MLS this year.

DRobertsonNYY
07-15-10, 02:59 PM
Yeah it's between Angel and Buddle. The Galaxy play Donovan as a forward but we know he's nothing like a striker. He's your prototypical midfielder.

(not to say I'm not a fan of Buddle, I thought he should have played over Findlay and the other mediocre players we were throwing out there).. he's just not a world class player.

NelsonMuntz
07-15-10, 09:46 PM
That's probably giving MLS too much credit. It's more like the equivalent of the washed up MLB player going to the Mexican leagues.

b_joseph
07-16-10, 11:00 AM
Thierry is going to be on the Dan Patrick show in a few minutes.

Boogiedown Bomber
07-16-10, 01:52 PM
As a diehard Gonner, I was not surprised to see Thierry join RBNY. In fact, he's mentioning the fact of playing (or at least moving to) in the States for a number of years. Yes, he's not the same player who scored sweet goals for Arsenal, but I think he will have a major impact on the MLS. Plus, he will most def. be seen in the same social circles in the NYC area (isn't he friends with Jeter?) so it is a win-win for Red Bull NY.