PDA

View Full Version : May 2010 Minor League Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3

EvanJ
05-01-10, 06:36 PM
http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/gameday/index.jsp?gid=2010_05_01_swbaaa_noraaa_1 says Scranton/Wilkes-Barre's "Greg Golson bunt grounds out sharply to first baseman Brandon Snyder." It must be rare for a player to bunt sharply. Juan Miranda just hit his fifth home run in the top of the second at Norfolk for the first run of the game.

philleotardo
05-01-10, 07:30 PM
Brackman

4 IP, 5 H, 2 ER, 0 BB, 2 K.

SLURPEE
05-01-10, 07:30 PM
Montero continues to struggle. 0-2 so far.

Philip Hughes Fan
05-01-10, 07:37 PM
On the plus side, he's thrown out both attempted base stealers so far.

bmxstreetrider86
05-01-10, 08:03 PM
PHF you keeping track of SB/CS numbers?

SLURPEE
05-01-10, 08:12 PM
0-3 with 2ks. I'm listening to the game and it sounds like he's not adjusting to the off-speed/breaking stuff.

sjkqw
05-01-10, 09:27 PM
Brackman

4 IP, 5 H, 2 ER, 0 BB, 2 K.

1 WP was the only negative there. I am happy with that outing. He is really surprising me with the low walk totals so far.

sjkqw
05-01-10, 09:34 PM
Who is finally going to get their shot in AAA with Melancon up? Duff, Schmidt, or Wordekemper? Maybe Arias or WDR? I think it will be Duff, but I can imagine the Yankees moving Wordekemper up.

Then the top options for Tampa to Trenton are Venditte, Olbrychowski, Rulon, or Bartleski. I'd say Olbrychowski would most likely move up first out of that group.
No one needs to move from Charleston to Tampa. It will be Tim Norton placed on that roster. I don't know why he is the one that the Yankees keep putting in Staten Island.

EDIT: Another possibility from Tampa to Trenton is Noesi which would move Pendleton to the pen.

sjkqw
05-01-10, 09:37 PM
Grote was injured in the game a couple nights ago before getting an at bat so he will go to the DL with Francisco Rondon. Justin Milo and Dickson Marquez take their spots.

ARoDfan4life
05-01-10, 11:03 PM
Why isn't Golson getting called up? Why is Winn and Thames platooning LF when we need defense and some pop and neither of them have it?

Buzah!
05-02-10, 12:08 AM
Cause they need bullpen help tomorrow in Girardi's opinion.

ARoDfan4life
05-02-10, 01:37 AM
Cause they need bullpen help tomorrow in Girardi's opinion.

So when Thames is letting routine singles turn into gamebreakers and Randy Winn is swinging 0 for forever...do we judge GI Joe's opinion then? They are going to have Hughes, CC, AJ, Andy next...why against the Orioles would I be worried about the 3rd tier BP help? Not even the Red Sox make me worried for that since thier BP is just as bad.

Yankees1962
05-02-10, 01:54 AM
So when Thames is letting routine singles turn into gamebreakers and Randy Winn is swinging 0 for forever...do we judge GI Joe's opinion then? They are going to have Hughes, CC, AJ, Andy next...why against the Orioles would I be worried about the 3rd tier BP help? Not even the Red Sox make me worried for that since thier BP is just as bad.
The Orioles can still swing the bats despite their rough start to the season as the Red Sox are finding out. Also, it wouldn't surprise me if another roster move takes place this week in which a pitcher is taken off in favor of an outfielder.

ARoDfan4life
05-02-10, 02:02 AM
We need an OF, preferably one that's not nearing his 40's and can swing the bat a bit and steal bases, candyman, Greg Golson should be up here.

Yankee Steve
05-02-10, 05:38 AM
Marcus Thames, no pop? What does the guy need to do, against lefties, anyhow? THere will be another roster move. Hughes goes today and he likely won't go beyond 6 innings. Both Mitre and Aceves are not available and Robertson has been awful. Makes sense to get another reliever up, at least for today. I think Joe knows what he's doing.

ARoDfan4life
05-02-10, 10:09 AM
Marcus Thames, no pop? What does the guy need to do, against lefties, anyhow?

He can't field (http://i44.tinypic.com/106nggk.gif).:mad:

bmxstreetrider86
05-02-10, 12:11 PM
ugh romine not in the lineup again for trenton

ramirez went 6-2-1-1-3 last night too, season thus far has been very impressive

sjkqw
05-02-10, 12:55 PM
He can't field (http://i44.tinypic.com/106nggk.gif).:mad:

Not to turn this into an mlb discussion, but he did just make the diving catch;)

sjkqw
05-02-10, 12:57 PM
Jairo Heredia hit 3 batters in 3 innings giving up 4 hits so far. 1 BB, 1K. 3 unearned runs.
His Line: 5 IP, 6 H, 3 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 1 K
Jairo's ERA is at 6.86. Two more good starts should fix that and then I'll be looking for the control to improve. Some ore strikeouts wouldn't hurt either.

David Phelps: 7 IP, 5 H, 2 ER, 2 BB, 5 K

Tim Norton will join SWB until Tuesday at minimum when Whelan can come off the DL. After he will probably go back to Staten Island. I just wish he could get some consistent PT.

SLURPEE
05-02-10, 02:45 PM
Curious to know when Romine will start getting looks in the outfield. If he continues to hit throughout the year how is he going to get a promotion with Montero at AAA?

bmxstreetrider86
05-02-10, 03:07 PM
the yankees arent gonna have romine learn to play the OF just so they can promote him to AAA. he needs a year of catching full time

Rocketbooster
05-02-10, 05:14 PM
ugh romine not in the lineup again for trenton

ramirez went 6-2-1-1-3 last night too, season thus far has been very impressive

Is he hurt? I thought he played last night and hit a HR.

Optimistic
05-02-10, 05:15 PM
Tim wasn't in Staten Island and most assuredly won't be going there.

Yankees1962
05-02-10, 05:18 PM
Is he hurt? I thought he played last night and hit a HR.
Players and especially catchers do get a day off without an injury being involved.

ajra21
05-03-10, 09:17 AM
kevin russo is hitting well again i see, along with a very good OBP. what are the chances of him playing a part in new york overe the next few years, or is he likely to be traded?

Dexter Morgan
05-03-10, 10:57 AM
Andrew Brackman should probably go play basketball, this pitching thing isn't panning out.

Posada_20
05-03-10, 11:29 AM
Andrew Brackman should probably go play basketball, this pitching thing isn't panning out. Thats what they were saying about Roy Halladay until someone decided to have some patience and let him work his problems out. Just something to keep in mind rather than rush to judgement.

Melan-cynic
05-03-10, 11:53 AM
Thats what they were saying about Roy Halladay until someone decided to have some patience and let him work his problems out. Just something to keep in mind rather than rush to judgement.I understand your sentiment but that's not a very good comp. in terms of the minor league track record as Doc was a solid MiLB starter for two or three years before he fell apart at the ML level.

Posada_20
05-03-10, 12:50 PM
Bottom line is, he DID fall apart. but with some good instruction was able to right himself and now look at him. Not saying Brackman will be the next Halladay but it is still way too early to give up on him. Then again, most Yankee fans are not exactly known for their patience and understanding. Its usuall instant success or bust.

Melan-cynic
05-03-10, 12:54 PM
Bottom line is, he DID fall apart. but with some good instruction was able to right himself and now look at him. Not saying Brackman will be the next Halladay but it is still way too early to give up on him. Then again, most Yankee fans are not exactly known for their patience and understanding. Its usuall instant success or bust.Like I said I understand your sentiment but it's still a bad comp.

Halladay was successful in the minors at ages 18 and 19 and dedicated his entire life towards becoming a MLB pitcher. Brackman has been horrific, inconsistent to start his pro career, is close to 7 feet tall and is already 23 years old. He also was a two sport athlete in college, splitting time from baseball with basketball.

I'm not saying he's cooked. Not yet. But Brack's case is too different from Doc's to really draw much other than a preaching of patience.

flymick24
05-03-10, 01:42 PM
andrew brackman would be lucky to even look like the bad version of roy halladay

primetime714
05-03-10, 01:52 PM
kevin russo is hitting well again i see, along with a very good OBP. what are the chances of him playing a part in new york overe the next few years, or is he likely to be traded?

I think he basically needs an injury to get a real shot. The team will stick with Pena as the backup cause he gives them good defense and has been solid in that role. However should any of our middle infielders go down Russo will likely be the first called up and is probably a better option than Pena to fill in on a more regular basis particularly at 2B and 3B where Russo is solid defensively.

SLURPEE
05-03-10, 02:03 PM
I think he basically needs an injury to get a real shot. The team will stick with Pena as the backup cause he gives them good defense and has been solid in that role. However should any of our middle infielders go down Russo will likely be the first called up and is probably a better option than Pena to fill in on a more regular basis particularly at 2B and 3B where Russo is solid defensively.I can see Arod getting a lot of days off or DH. With that being the case I rather have Russo who can give you offense and fill in at 3rd. It's not like he's a butcher in the field. I guess they want to reward Pena because he was here last year?

I like Russo's approach. When I saw him in ST he looked like a professional hitter. I like Pena but he's actually the one-despite his good defense, that could use more seasoning. Russo is ready now.

primetime714
05-03-10, 02:45 PM
I can see Arod getting a lot of days off or DH. With that being the case I rather have Russo who can give you offense and fill in at 3rd. It's not like he's a butcher in the field. I guess they want to reward Pena because he was here last year?

I like Russo's approach. When I saw him in ST he looked like a professional hitter. I like Pena but he's actually the one-despite his good defense, that could use more seasoning. Russo is ready now.

I agree I just don't think they'll make room for Russo until there is extra space on the roster to do so. They're not going to switch out Pena if they only need their backup INF to play 1-2 games a week. Pena's lack of offense won't be an issue and will go generally unnoticed if we're barely using him. Basically I think the Yankees like Pena in that hardly used role and would rather give Russo consistent AB's so that he could be ready to come up and play a more consistent role should an opportunity arise due to injury.

what's up doc?
05-03-10, 02:59 PM
Thats what they were saying about Roy Halladay until someone decided to have some patience and let him work his problems out. Just something to keep in mind rather than rush to judgement.

ROY HALLADAY!?!?:jaw-drop:

Just when has the southern version of the Frankenstein monster had any real stretch of dominance, at any level, to warrant the fan's patience? Just another 1st round blunder and that major league contract turned the tragedy into a farse.

THEBOSS84
05-03-10, 03:36 PM
ROY HALLADAY!?!?:jaw-drop:

Just when has the southern version of the Frankenstein monster had any real stretch of dominance, at any level, to warrant the fan's patience? Just another 1st round blunder and that major league contract turned the tragedy into a farse.

I'm not sure they'll ever recover from that terrible blunder.

Saxmania
05-03-10, 04:06 PM

Oh, the irony . . .

Be seeing you,

Saxmania

what's up doc?
05-03-10, 04:28 PM
Oh, the irony . . .

Be seeing you,

Saxmania

I've got an appointment with you in another thread. I won't take pity, despite your obvious limited command of the language. Based on the early returns, your judgement is about as bad as your acumen.

The nerve. The audacity. I'll be seeing you.

flymick24
05-03-10, 04:33 PM
you two should get a chatroom and cyber

sjkqw
05-03-10, 04:35 PM
Tim wasn't in Staten Island and most assuredly won't be going there.

Tim Norton was assigned to SI to start the year and was placed on and off Tampa 2 more times and onto SI due to injuries before joining SWB this time. The Yankees are not treating him like a prospect as much as filler at this point which I find disappointing.

flymick24
05-03-10, 04:56 PM
well, he is getting up there in age, despite the fact that he lost much of his time to injury

also, he was coming back from major shoulder surgery... i haven't seen an updated scouting report, but i think it's safe to assume that his stuff has considerably diminished

yankee82093
05-03-10, 05:10 PM
I apologize if this has already been posted, but a nice link on Jose Ramirez
http://bloggingaboutbaseball.com/2010/05/01/know-your-prospects-jose-ramirez-rhp-new-york-yankees/

flymick24
05-03-10, 05:18 PM
I apologize if this has already been posted, but a nice link on Jose Ramirez
http://bloggingaboutbaseball.com/2010/05/01/know-your-prospects-jose-ramirez-rhp-new-york-yankees/

nice read, but he sounds very homerish towards the end when he says arodys has nothing on ramierz

Melan-cynic
05-03-10, 05:25 PM
nice read, but he sounds very homerish towards the end when he says arodys has nothing on ramierzEspecially when I went back and saw that Arodys was sitting 94-95mph for Rome last week. :(

indianyanksfan
05-03-10, 05:28 PM
how was brackman's fastball in his last game? throwing hard or not?

what's ramirez fb velocity?

Saxmania
05-03-10, 05:52 PM
I've got an appointment with you in another thread. I won't take pity, despite your obvious limited command of the language. Based on the early returns, your judgement is about as bad as your acumen.

The nerve. The audacity. I'll be seeing you.

The nerve to point out that you can't spell 'farce?' Or were you attempting, according to Dictionary.com, to refer to "An addition to, or a paraphrase of, some part of the Latin service in the vernacular; -- common in English before the Reformation." The 'c' and the 's' aren't next to each other on the keyboard, so a typo seemed unlikely.

My nerve and my audacity are perfectly reasonable and spelt correctly. Perhaps it's your linguistic acumen that invites doubt?

Be seeing you,

Saxmania

just-blaze
05-03-10, 05:55 PM
nice read, but he sounds very homerish towards the end when he says arodys has nothing on ramierz

Perhaps, but its not like he focuses just on Yankee prospects and it does seem like he gives accurate scouting reports seeing as now he sits 89-93 touching 94 when last year I was hearing reports of him sitting in the mid 90's not to mention he called his curve garbage.

Edit: he only scouts Charleston games but to his credit he essentially says something bad about every prospect.

BloggingAboutBasebal
05-03-10, 06:17 PM

First of all, thank you for reading the site.

I did, however, want to offer a little more insight into the above statement. I'm from Boston. I've never been a Yankees' fan and I watch the RiverDog's with about as objective an eye as humanly possible. Half the time, I don't even watch the game, but rather swings, pitches, and plays.

On that note, I've only seen Vizcaino pitch once and I've seen Ramirez toss three times now. Vizcaino's outing was his shortest of the year, but from everyone I've spoken to, his stuff was right where it should have been.

It's not that I don't like Vizcaino (there's no denying that his stuff is right up there), but more that I'm very high on Ramirez. His changeup is the best pitch I've seen in two plus years of intently scouting this league. He's had hitters so off-balance for a month now, that it's almost laughable he's still in low-A ball.

When paired with his fastball, which some say won't gain too much more velocity, but I don't see how with his physique it wouldn't, he has two very good plus pitches.

It's tough to go against the grain and rate Ramirez higher than Vizcaino, but my observations are based 100 percent completely on things I've seen with my own two eyes. And with the things I've seen, I would pick Ramirez over Vizcaino eight of 10 times.

Once again, thank you for reading. I truly appreciate it.

Dylan
Blogging About Baseball

sugmasterflex
05-03-10, 06:23 PM
First of all, thank you for reading the site.

I did, however, want to offer a little more insight into the above statement. I'm from Boston. I've never been a Yankees' fan and I watch the RiverDog's with about as objective an eye as humanly possible. Half the time, I don't even watch the game, but rather swings, pitches, and plays.

On that note, I've only seen Vizcaino pitch once and I've seen Ramirez toss three times now. Vizcaino's outing was his shortest of the year, but from everyone I've spoken to, his stuff was right where it should have been.

It's not that I don't like Vizcaino (there's no denying that his stuff is right up there), but more that I'm very high on Ramirez. His changeup is the best pitch I've seen in two plus years of intently scouting this league. He's had hitters so off-balance for a month now, that it's almost laughable he's still in low-A ball.

When paired with his fastball, which some say won't gain too much more velocity, but I don't see how with his physique it wouldn't, he has two very good plus pitches.

It's tough to go against the grain and rate Ramirez higher than Vizcaino, but my observations are based 100 percent completely on things I've seen with my own two eyes. And with the things I've seen, I would pick Ramirez over Vizcaino eight of 10 times.

Once again, thank you for reading. I truly appreciate it.

Dylan
Blogging About Baseball

Thanks for coming on and giving us your insight.

Optimistic
05-03-10, 06:29 PM
Tim was not injured this year at all, is not a filler, and is indeed a prospect. What's disappointing is your perspective but you are entitled.

BloggingAboutBasebal
05-03-10, 06:30 PM
Thanks for coming on and giving us your insight.

And just one more thing to show that I do have some man-love for Vizcaino...This is the game recap from his 4/26 outing against Charleston.

http://bloggingaboutbaseball.com/2010/04/28/game-recap-charleston-riverdogs-vs-rome-braves-42610/

flymick24
05-03-10, 07:11 PM
thanks for the explanation... i think a lot of us here love ramirez as well

flymick24
05-03-10, 07:12 PM
Tim was not injured this year at all, is not a filler, and is indeed a prospect. What's disappointing is your perspective but you are entitled.

no one said he was injured this year... his shoulder surgery occurred 2 years ago, iirc

bmxstreetrider86
05-03-10, 07:54 PM
romine 1-2 with a HR BB and a K. quickly going from good prospect to elite prospect

joseph 3-4 with a 2B in tampa.

they really need to send Slade and JR to C-Town, the could use some reinforcements

YanksForLife
05-03-10, 08:12 PM
Does anybody know who is scheduled to pitch for SWB on Thursday in Durham? Thanks in advance.

bmxstreetrider86
05-03-10, 08:48 PM
montero 2-4 2 2B and he threw out a runner

joseph now 4-5 with 2 2B

just-blaze
05-03-10, 08:49 PM
montero 2-4 2 2B and he threw out a runner

He might be underwhelming right now, but I certainly would seriously considering calling him up if Posada is out for an extended time.

Yankee Fan in Boston
05-03-10, 08:55 PM
He might be underwhelming right now, but I certainly would seriously considering calling him up if Posada is out for an extended time.

I don't think it's a great idea. He needs to play, and no way does he come up and take the spot from Cervelli. I'd rather have someone like Moeller catching every 5th day than having Montero sit.

Melan-cynic
05-03-10, 08:55 PM
montero 2-4 2 2B and he threw out a runnerIt's a niceee.

bmxstreetrider86
05-03-10, 08:57 PM
I don't think it's a great idea. He needs to play, and no way does he come up and take the spot from Cervelli. I'd rather have someone like Moeller catching every 5th day than having Montero sit.

true, the only problem with that is we only have 2 catchers on the 40 man as is, and its easier to stomach losing someone for montero as opposed moeller.

im sure it will be moeller, just my inner fan hoping otherwise.

bmxstreetrider86
05-03-10, 09:08 PM
romine now 2-4 HR BB 2K, HR was to CF and had an infield single off kerry wood

flymick24
05-03-10, 09:32 PM
romine is quickly becoming one of my favorite perverted fantasy characters

just-blaze
05-03-10, 09:39 PM
romine 1-2 with a HR BB and a K. quickly going from good prospect to elite prospect

joseph 3-4 with a 2B in tampa.

they really need to send Slade and JR to C-Town, the could use some reinforcements

CoJo might be right behind him.

bmxstreetrider86
05-03-10, 09:58 PM
CoJo's gotta go from prospect to good prospect first.

what's up doc?
05-03-10, 10:05 PM
The nerve to point out that you can't spell 'farce?' Or were you attempting, according to Dictionary.com, to refer to "An addition to, or a paraphrase of, some part of the Latin service in the vernacular; -- common in English before the Reformation." The 'c' and the 's' aren't next to each other on the keyboard, so a typo seemed unlikely.

My nerve and my audacity are perfectly reasonable and spelt correctly. Perhaps it's your linguistic acumen that invites doubt?

Be seeing you,

Saxmania

No, spellcheck boy, the nerve to nit-pit when everyone of your rebuttals to my critisms of the off-season are completely up in smoke.

The oldest of internet deflections, check for spelling when your aguements up in smoke.

And I'd rather be a poor speller than a chalatan trying to sound intellegent through the misuse of words. As far as the baseball part.....................

just-blaze
05-03-10, 10:28 PM
CoJo's gotta go from prospect to good prospect first.

Fair enough.

He definitely should be getting some good prospect hype about now then, no?

bmxstreetrider86
05-03-10, 10:40 PM
Fair enough.

He definitely should be getting some good prospect hype about now then, no?

absolutely, he just has to keep hitting. should also improve those BB/K numbers too. he is striking out a bit too much and not walking enough, otherwise you have to be happy with what he is doing so far

Saxmania
05-04-10, 01:05 AM
No, spellcheck boy, the nerve to nit-pit when everyone of your rebuttals to my critisms of the off-season are completely up in smoke.

The oldest of internet deflections, check for spelling when your aguements up in smoke.

And I'd rather be a poor speller than a chalatan trying to sound intellegent through the misuse of words. As far as the baseball part.....................

Well, you've yet to correctly point out a word I've mis-used, the Yankees' farm system has not yet collapsed into a singularity due to the Ravages of Cashman the Butcher, and the major league team is doing just fine. So far, I'm batting 1.000. Therefore, while I can understand the need for your bluster, it's rather transparent.

Mis-spelling 'farse' is like mis-spelling 'disastur', 'educashun', or 'mistack' - it's particularly ironic due to the word itself. No need to panic. (You see, the irony there is that I deliberately got those words wrong to illustrate my point. Fun!)

If it bothers you, I can sincerely recommend a browser with a spell-checker. They're a great way of avoiding misunderstandings and allowing people to focus on the message, not the format. Still, perhaps I can see the argument against . . .

Be seeing you,

Saxmania

primetime714
05-04-10, 08:19 AM
absolutely, he just has to keep hitting. should also improve those BB/K numbers too. he is striking out a bit too much and not walking enough, otherwise you have to be happy with what he is doing so far

I agree, although on the national scene I don't expect him to get very many rave prospect reviews. I honestly expect to see a lot of them that will say that his defense is not good enough to man the middle infield and that he doesn't have the power to be an effective corner INF/OF.

Now this is not my personal opinion, but this is what I'd expect to read from BA or other national sources. Personally I love his bat and think that it can play at a number of positions. His defense is a question, we'll see how that develops, but I expect him to continue to hit as he moves up through the system.

Yankees1962
05-04-10, 08:46 AM
I agree, although on the national scene I don't expect him to get very many rave prospect reviews. I honestly expect to see a lot of them that will say that his defense is not good enough to man the middle infield and that he doesn't have the power to be an effective corner INF/OF.

Now this is not my personal opinion, but this is what I'd expect to read from BA or other national sources. Personally I love his bat and think that it can play at a number of positions. His defense is a question, we'll see how that develops, but I expect him to continue to hit as he moves up through the system.
Let me preface my comments that it's early in his career, but I think his bat can handle a corner INF/OF with 40 double and 20 homer production. Of course, he needs to continue to develop his OBP skills along with a .300 BA.

YESSIR!
05-04-10, 10:51 AM
Well, you've yet to correctly point out a word I've mis-used, the Yankees' farm system has not yet collapsed into a singularity due to the Ravages of Cashman the Butcher, and the major league team is doing just fine. So far, I'm batting 1.000. Therefore, while I can understand the need for your bluster, it's rather transparent.

Mis-spelling 'farse' is like mis-spelling 'disastur', 'educashun', or 'mistack' - it's particularly ironic due to the word itself. No need to panic. (You see, the irony there is that I deliberately got those words wrong to illustrate my point. Fun!)

If it bothers you, I can sincerely recommend a browser with a spell-checker. They're a great way of avoiding misunderstandings and allowing people to focus on the message, not the format. Still, perhaps I can see the argument against . . .

Be seeing you,

Saxmania

Not that I have any desire to wade into this tit for tat, but your superfluous use of hyphens is fairly humurous given the context. "Misused" and "misspelling" do the trick just fine.

Feel free to carry on with the internet pummeling.

mbn007
05-04-10, 11:52 AM
Anyway, back to more "on-line" issues, Chad Jennings is reporting that Golson is in NY, and should be activated tonight. Not sure who will be going down, although i would assume it's MM.

Melan-cynic
05-04-10, 11:59 AM
Yeah he's gone.

TheHugeUnit2
05-04-10, 12:13 PM
I want 26 man rosters. :(

Yankee Fan in Boston
05-04-10, 12:54 PM
Anyway, back to more "on-line" issues, Chad Jennings is reporting that Golson is in NY, and should be activated tonight. Not sure who will be going down, although i would assume it's MM.

I saw Golson's inside the park HR on Friday. Bad play by the OF, but he is fast

flymick24
05-04-10, 01:10 PM
if he could ever learn to hit breaking balls, he'd be awesome :P

bmxstreetrider86
05-04-10, 01:20 PM

speaking of the devil, from KG:

Corban Joseph (http://www.baseballprospectus.com/card/card.php?id=JOSEPH19881028A), 2B, Yankees (High-A Tampa): 4-for-6, 2 2B, 3 R (http://www.baseballprospectus.com/glossary/index.php?search=R), 3 RBI (http://www.baseballprospectus.com/glossary/index.php?search=RBI). Up to .330/.369/.511; aggressive approach could catch up to him at higher levels, but scouts love the swing.

he also had stuff on romine and montero

Melan-cynic
05-04-10, 01:22 PM
speaking of the devil, from KG:

he also had stuff on romine and monteroFor those without a sub, could you paraphrase what he said about the C's. Thx.

bmxstreetrider86
05-04-10, 01:32 PM
normal stuff. romine might be the real COTF, need to polish his defense but is hitting well, montero might be breaking out of slump after disappointing start

Melan-cynic
05-04-10, 01:44 PM
Booo.

Snatch Catch
05-04-10, 02:00 PM
Corban Joseph has plenty of PD. I think that'll be clear by the end of the year.

dpbddd99
05-04-10, 03:02 PM
Norfolk bombs McAllister for seven runs in three innings.

Melan-cynic
05-04-10, 03:15 PM
Guess his slider wasn't sliding.

Snatch Catch
05-04-10, 03:16 PM
Not a big Z-Mac fan. I'd be alright if they moved him in a deal.

what's up doc?
05-04-10, 05:06 PM

Be seeing you,

Saxmania

You'll always have the time to get the last word in but, in this baseball forum your arguments are getting destroyed. Having FUN with that?

JavyVazquezIsSick
05-04-10, 05:19 PM
http://cdn1.knowyourmeme.com/i/30403/original/YouMad.jpg

Philip Hughes Fan
05-04-10, 07:23 PM
PHF you keeping track of SB/CS numbers?

Not really. I've looked at them in the past just to see how Montero and Romine fare, but that's about it.

RE: Joseph. He walked a good deal last year. He started off the year horribly, and I think his K's and BB's will be a lot closer to last year's level once the year is done.

Adams just hit another HR today. He's really looking like a good trade chip.

bmxstreetrider86
05-04-10, 08:49 PM
romine goes deep again in the 9th

Melan-cynic
05-04-10, 08:53 PM
Wow. I know nobody F's with the Jeeezus but Austin is doing his best.

Saxmania
05-05-10, 03:11 AM
You'll always have the time to get the last word in but, in this baseball forum your arguments are getting destroyed. Having FUN with that?

I'll agree with you just as soon as you manage to point out, oh, one of my arguments that's being destroyed. I await the day. Or is declaring something without actually demonstrating it one of those signs of desperation you were talking about?

Be seeing you,

Saxmania

Saxmania
05-05-10, 03:13 AM
Not that I have any desire to wade into this tit for tat, but your superfluous use of hyphens is fairly humurous given the context. "Misused" and "misspelling" do the trick just fine.

Feel free to carry on with the internet pummeling.

Touché. My spell-checker, he likes the hyphen (including for its own description). I'll watch that.

Be seeing you,

Saxmania

Posada_20
05-05-10, 08:53 AM
Anyone know where Manny Barreda is? haven't seen him on any roster. Is he at EXT ST?

Yankees1962
05-05-10, 11:09 AM
Anyone know where Manny Barreda is? haven't seen him on any roster. Is he at EXT ST?
He's been pitching in EXT ST.

Melan-cynic
05-05-10, 11:12 AM
Anyone know where Manny Barreda is? haven't seen him on any roster. Is he at EXT ST?Yes. I hope he pitches well coming back from TJ. He is one of my favorite draft picks in recent years and at least some of that has to do with his name sounding like a James Bond villain.

lemonjello
05-05-10, 11:32 AM
Stoneburner dealing today. 5 IP, 1 H, 2 BB, 10 k's. Love it

Melan-cynic
05-05-10, 11:35 AM
Stoneburner dealing today. 5 IP, 1 H, 2 BB, 10 k's. Love itHe needs to move up to Tampa. Sally kids are no match for his power FB and college pedigree.

Snatch Catch
05-05-10, 11:39 AM
Stoneburner dealing today. 5 IP, 1 H, 2 BB, 10 k's. Love it

Wow. Just how good he's been has been a pleasant surprise.

Posada_20
05-05-10, 11:51 AM
Maybe if Noesi or Warren get moved up to AA then Stoneburner will get moved to Tampa.

Melan-cynic
05-05-10, 11:53 AM
Maybe if Noesi or Warren get moved up to AA then Stoneburner will get moved to Tampa.My thoughts as well. Stoneburner and especially Noesi belong a level above their current competition.

Yankee Fan in Boston
05-05-10, 11:54 AM
He needs to move up to Tampa. Sally kids are no match for his power FB and college pedigree.

Well, see, this is a guy I love in part because of his great name.

Agree, though. He needs to move up a level.

Melan-cynic
05-05-10, 12:09 PM
Well, see, this is a guy I love in part because of his great name.Same here. Was my favorite pick of last year's draft.

b_joseph
05-05-10, 12:30 PM
Who does he compare to? Is he as raw/electric as Joba was back in 2007?

Snatch Catch
05-05-10, 12:35 PM
Who does he compare to? Is he as raw/electric as Joba was back in 2007?

No. He's probably more similar to a guy like Robertson, but with a little more velocity.

THEBOSS84
05-05-10, 12:37 PM
No. He's probably more similar to a guy like Robertson, but with a little more velocity.

So in other words, he'd be an incredible prospect as a closer.

Yankees1962
05-05-10, 12:49 PM
Unlike Robertson, the Yankees have been starting him so it really depends on him developing his other pitches whether he remains a starter or not.

The game was a shutout so here is the boxscore.

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?sid=milb&t=g_box&gid=2010_05_05_crdafx_lwdafx_1

Snatch Catch
05-05-10, 12:50 PM

Yeah, he's already a really good closer prospect. There was a lot of talk about that being his final destination as a pro when he was still at Clemson.

The question will be can he develop his secondary stuff and command enough to be a starter at the ML level.

Melan-cynic
05-05-10, 12:52 PM
Yeah, he's already a really good closer prospect. There was a lot of talk about that being his final destination as a pro when he was still at Clemson.

The question will be can he develop his secondary stuff and command enough to be a starter at the ML level.Yeah. If he can develop his third pitch (changeup) he's got the ability to move up the ranks as a starter. If he doesn't, he's a reliever.

Yankee Fan in Boston
05-05-10, 12:53 PM
I think last year's draft is going to turn out to be a good one

Snatch Catch
05-05-10, 01:07 PM
I think last year's draft is going to turn out to be a good one

Agreed. Wait until Cotham's knee is totally back. Then it's really going to take off.

THEBOSS84
05-05-10, 01:09 PM
And Slade...

Posada_20
05-05-10, 01:10 PM
and Murphy

Snatch Catch
05-05-10, 01:11 PM
Those guys have already garnered a lot of acclaim, though, even in ST.

JavyVazquezIsSick
05-05-10, 02:39 PM
IMO Murphy looked weak as shi* in ST.

Snatch Catch
05-05-10, 02:56 PM
When did you see him?

JavyVazquezIsSick
05-05-10, 04:16 PM
Spring Training.

bmxstreetrider86
05-05-10, 06:22 PM
Stoneburner finished 7-2-0-2-11 btw

the riverdogs turned a 3x play in the game

Snatch Catch
05-05-10, 07:30 PM
Spring Training.

That future stars game?

Pokerface
05-05-10, 07:47 PM
Stoneburner finished 7-2-0-2-11 btw

the riverdogs turned a 3x play in the game

Stoneburner: The Aftermath (http://minormatterstrenton.blogspot.com/2010/05/stoneburner-aftermath.html)

Graham Stoneburner is a beast. This was the impression I got after watching him make the Lakewood BlueClaws look very silly this afternoon. Using his 90-96 mph fastball and 80-85 mph slider, Stoneburner ran through the opposition to the tune of two hits, two walks and 11 strikeouts in seven shutout innings.

He fanned seven in a row at one point, and rung up every BlueClaw at least once. I am uploading video as we speak, and will be posting quotes from Stoneburner, manager Greg Colbrunn and coach (and former Thunder player) Carlos Mendoza shortly.

bmxstreetrider86
05-05-10, 08:19 PM
warren with a strong 5.2-6-0-2-6 line, lots of GB's again (60% coming into the game)

ArodMVP217
05-05-10, 08:22 PM
warren with a strong 5.2-6-0-2-6 line, lots of GB's again (60% coming into the game)

60% of outs or balls in play? or i could just look..

bmxstreetrider86
05-05-10, 08:22 PM
romine 1-4 with a 1B, Lineout to 2B, reach on error, and a K.

probably snaps his 3 game homer streak

bmxstreetrider86
05-05-10, 08:23 PM
60% of outs or balls in play? or i could just look..

BIP...

JavyVazquezIsSick
05-06-10, 06:39 AM
That future stars game?

Yes. I was expecting he'd have power/power potential. I didn't see that from his swing or his frame.

TheHugeUnit2
05-06-10, 07:17 AM
Yes. I was expecting he'd have power/power potential. I didn't see that from his swing or his frame.
So you based what type of prospect he is off of one game were he had what 2 or 3 at bats?

Snatch Catch
05-06-10, 08:09 AM

He looks like a line drive hitter at this point because he's 18/19 and isn't supposed to be a significant power threat at any point in his future. He looks really good behind the plate defensively, too - smooth and not afraid to control things the way a catcher should, even if he's the youngest kid on the field. I was really impressed by him.

Matsui55
05-06-10, 08:25 AM
So you based what type of prospect he is off of one game were he had what 2 or 3 at bats?

His point was based on his in-person observations of the kid's swing and frame.

At this point, it is unlikely that his swing will change, unless the Yanks make him. His frame might change some as he gets a little older. However, adding the caveat that I have never seen him in person, if the guy has a small frame to begin with, it is unlikely that natural "filling out" will change the guys power.

As an example, look at Cervelli- he's more or less done growing- and that body will never amount to major power- he MIGHT hit 10 HR a year in a good season, starting 130+ games, but expecting that on a regular basis would be pushing it.

JavyVazquezIsSick
05-06-10, 09:07 AM

Yes, just like I can tell Brett Gardner isn't going to develop power.

You don't need to watch a player often to notice these types of things.

Snatch Catch
05-06-10, 09:08 AM
Yes, just like I can tell Brett Gardner isn't going to develop power.

You don't need to watch a player often to notice these types of things.

You don't think Murphy is going to develop any power?

Matsui55
05-06-10, 09:09 AM

Has anyone here seen him in person? Without that, we're just speculating.

Yankees1962
05-06-10, 09:11 AM
His point was based on his in-person observations of the kid's swing and frame.

At this point, it is unlikely that his swing will change, unless the Yanks make him. His frame might change some as he gets a little older. However, adding the caveat that I have never seen him in person, if the guy has a small frame to begin with, it is unlikely that natural "filling out" will change the guys power.

As an example, look at Cervelli- he's more or less done growing- and that body will never amount to major power- he MIGHT hit 10 HR a year in a good season, starting 130+ games, but expecting that on a regular basis would be pushing it.
Hard to judge an 18 year old and what he may become based on one game observed.

Snatch Catch
05-06-10, 09:12 AM
Has anyone here seen him in person? Without that, we're just speculating.

Yes. I saw him play several games at the minor league complex at the end of March.

JavyVazquezIsSick
05-06-10, 10:15 AM

I think he'll develop power just no where near what I was expecting from the scouting reports.

Snatch Catch
05-06-10, 10:19 AM
I think he'll develop power just no where near what I was expecting from the scouting reports.

Which was what?

JavyVazquezIsSick
05-06-10, 10:42 AM
Which was what?

Actually, I take that back, I don't think he'll develop really any power. His body is maxed out.

The big thing on him was his bat. (maybe not his power, so I misspoke early). )I just don't see it, in his frame or his swing. So he sure as hell better stick behind the plate. If not the Yankees made a HUGE mistake by taking him with their 2nd pick, because I can't see his bat sticking anywhere else.

Matsui55
05-06-10, 11:32 AM
Yes. I saw him play several games at the minor league complex at the end of March.

Well, what did YOU think?

Matsui55
05-06-10, 11:37 AM
Hard to judge an 18 year old and what he may become based on one game observed.

There is a big difference between trying to guess whether a player is a star or had a good/bad game and what he projects to physically.

Unless the team forces the issue, a player's swing usually does not change much. He made an observation based on an in-person viewing of his swing. That is legit.

A player's size and build does have impact on power. While there are exceptions like Pedroia, the difference usually lies in the swing and approach. Pedroia has unusual bat speed and an all-out swing. In this case though, the person went and saw a guy who would not have the frame or swing for power. That is also a legit observation.

Now, if he said that this guy was a bad player because he didn't hit the ball out of the infield in 2 ABs, then I think there is a quibble to be had. However, the poster did not say anything beyond he can't see power developing for this player based on his build and swing- all based on in person observations of the player.

Snatch Catch
05-06-10, 12:52 PM
Well, what did YOU think?

I walked away impressed by him. I believe I saw him play four games, and two things were clear to me - 1) He was had a strong/leadership personality, and 2) he is very intelligent and undercontrol.

He didn't do much in the 15 or so PAs I saw from a stats perspective, but I liked his approach and his swing - it was all very sound, right down to shortening up with two strikes yet still being selective and spoiling good pitches. I really don't have much doubt that he's going to hit, and I think he'll have much more pop than a guy like Cervelli, but of course I'm not a scout.

He had a professional air about him that I didn't see in the other kids, and that's likely because of his time at Pendleton, but it stood out none the less. Everything from controlling the infield/pitchers, to prepping for ABs, to repeating his swing mechanics - it was all more advanced than I had expected from a HS draftee in his first ST. I didn't see anything in him at all that was a glaring red flag from a developmental standpoint. He's clearly athletic, just in the way he moves around on the field, which is a positive thing.

Regarding his size, he's a HS kid in his first year, and still looked the same as, if not bigger than, Corban Joseph and some other guys when they were standing next to each other in the dugout and ondeck. Murphy's build doesn't really bother me at all.

Yankees1962
05-06-10, 03:37 PM
There is a big difference between trying to guess whether a player is a star or had a good/bad game and what he projects to physically.

Unless the team forces the issue, a player's swing usually does not change much. He made an observation based on an in-person viewing of his swing. That is legit.

A player's size and build does have impact on power. While there are exceptions like Pedroia, the difference usually lies in the swing and approach. Pedroia has unusual bat speed and an all-out swing. In this case though, the person went and saw a guy who would not have the frame or swing for power. That is also a legit observation.

Now, if he said that this guy was a bad player because he didn't hit the ball out of the infield in 2 ABs, then I think there is a quibble to be had. However, the poster did not say anything beyond he can't see power developing for this player based on his build and swing- all based on in person observations of the player.

Maybe for you, but not for me. Hell, do we know whether he really saw this kid in person or not? I watched him on television once, but I won't make such a determination yet, not when he's in his infancy as a professional ballplayer on just one observation. This poster didn't like the pick of Murphy based on his size so I question his objectivity to begin with.

JavyVazquezIsSick
05-06-10, 03:43 PM
I walked away impressed by him. I believe I saw him play four games, and two things were clear to me - 1) He was had a strong/leadership personality, and 2) he is very intelligent and undercontrol.

I'm not sure how you can be so sure of these things by watching him from a distance.

Regarding his size, he's a HS kid in his first year, and still looked the same as, if not bigger than, Corban Joseph and some other guys when they were standing next to each other in the dugout and ondeck. Murphy's build doesn't really bother me at all.
He's listed as 6 foot, 190.

It doesn't particularly bother me either but it certainly puts a ceiling on the type of hitter he can be.

flymick24
05-06-10, 03:51 PM
melancon craps the bed today, jesus with 2 hits

eddie nunez and kevin russo still hot

Yankee Fan in Boston
05-06-10, 03:53 PM
I'm not sure how you can be so sure of these things by watching him from a distance.

It doesn't particularly bother me either but it certainly puts a ceiling on the type of hitter he can be.

A-Rod was 190 when he was drafted too (6'3 though) and Cano is listed at 6', 205 right now -- I don't think we should get too caught up in that ceiling

Snatch Catch
05-06-10, 03:57 PM

You're pretty close to the action at the minor league facility, and it's not like you can't hear everything that's going on because of the roar of the crowd. There are maybe 10-20 people in the stands at any given point.

I'd agree that it caps him in a negative way if he were 5'9" or something, but 6'0", 190 lbs doesn't limit him as a hitter in anyway except being a huge power guy - and nobody expected that from him in the first place.

There are plenty of really, really, really, good hitters in MLB that are in the 6'0"-6'1" range in the Majors - not just the exceptions.

The Yankee lineup alone has Granderson, Swisher, and Cano listed between 5'11" and 6'1".

bmxstreetrider86
05-06-10, 03:59 PM

i know of this pretty good hitter who is only listed at 6'0, 200

JavyVazquezIsSick
05-06-10, 04:38 PM
You're pretty close to the action at the minor league facility, and it's not like you can't hear everything that's going on because of the roar of the crowd. There are maybe 10-20 people in the stands at any given point.

And you were able to tell he was "very intelligent" from your seat?

I'd agree that it caps him in a negative way if he were 5'9" or something, but 6'0", 190 lbs doesn't limit him as a hitter in anyway except being a huge power guy - and nobody expected that from him in the first place.

There are plenty of really, really, really, good hitters in MLB that are in the 6'0"-6'1" range in the Majors - not just the exceptions.

The Yankee lineup alone has Granderson, Swisher, and Cano listed between 5'11" and 6'1".

Fair enough.

Buzah!
05-06-10, 06:37 PM
Mickey Mantle was 5'11", 200.

dpbddd99
05-06-10, 06:42 PM
Brackman two innings two runs two strike outs so far.

Philip Hughes Fan
05-06-10, 07:31 PM
So I guess Brackman found the secret to avoiding walks: just throw meatballs to the batters.

bmxstreetrider86
05-06-10, 07:46 PM
he is getting killed, though he seemed to be getting ground balled to death at least. right now his BABIP must be astronomical (.435 going into the game), and over such a SSS im willing to play it out.

more concerned with what kind of stuff he is showing TBH

indianyanksfan
05-06-10, 08:06 PM
what does his stuff look like?

may just have to put him in the pen and hope we have other stud starters in the making.

Tom Finnigan
05-06-10, 08:10 PM
he is getting killed, though he seemed to be getting ground balled to death at least. right now his BABIP must be astronomical (.435 going into the game), and over such a SSS im willing to play it out.

more concerned with what kind of stuff he is showing TBH

At least he wasn't tasered (Although it couldn't hurt).

Philip Hughes Fan
05-06-10, 08:13 PM
At least he wasn't tasered (Although it couldn't hurt).

Yeah I would love to see him with electric stuff.

indianyanksfan
05-06-10, 08:30 PM
is his velocity down?

Philip Hughes Fan
05-06-10, 08:35 PM
Joseph with a good game so far: 2-3 with a BB (and no SO)

Melan-cynic
05-06-10, 08:38 PM
http://stratfordcharter.files.wordpress.com/2009/06/burnt_toast-724090.jpg

Snatch Catch
05-06-10, 09:12 PM
And you were able to tell he was "very intelligent" from your seat?

Well, it was his first ST action as a pro and he was playing with the Tampa team. Despite being amongst the youngest of his teammates, he was not at all intimidated by being put in a position where he was a leader on the field. He was very aware of what the situations were as the game went along and routinely stepped out in front of the plate between batters to, what seemed like, do an assessment of the fielders and make adjustments. Every time an inning ended, he'd make sure to meet up with his pitcher on the field and walk off it with him, conversing until they reached the bench, and sometimes a few batters into the half inning. Before another game I heard him communicating in spanish with an IFA kid (I don't know who it was), and while I have no idea if he is fluent, the conversation definitely progressed.

So while I have no idea if he's a genius, he did seem to have a high level of baseball intelligence because he carried himself like he was a veteran in terms of even the little actions a player, especially a catcher, takes on the field.

flymick24
05-06-10, 09:44 PM
at this point, i'd be happy if brackman turned out to be sergio mitre

Melan-cynic
05-07-10, 12:22 AM
This made Mr. Happy...happy:

Low-A: Charleston 2, Lakewood 0
By now, you know I was at this game. Graham Stoneburner struck out 11 (including seven in a row) over seven dazzling frame. The right-hander's 95th and final pitch registered at 95 mph on FirstEnergy Park's radar gun. The effort was good for Stoneburner's first professional win.

http://minormatterstrenton.blogspot.com/

JavyVazquezIsSick
05-07-10, 05:44 AM
The thing thats concerning with Brackman outside of his wildness. Is his stuff. It was crystal clear to me it's not all that special in Spring Training. Low 90s fastball and decent curve.

Yankees1962
05-07-10, 08:01 AM
Well, it was his first ST action as a pro and he was playing with the Tampa team. Despite being amongst the youngest of his teammates, he was not at all intimidated by being put in a position where he was a leader on the field. He was very aware of what the situations were as the game went along and routinely stepped out in front of the plate between batters to, what seemed like, do an assessment of the fielders and make adjustments. Every time an inning ended, he'd make sure to meet up with his pitcher on the field and walk off it with him, conversing until they reached the bench, and sometimes a few batters into the half inning. Before another game I heard him communicating in spanish with an IFA kid (I don't know who it was), and while I have no idea if he is fluent, the conversation definitely progressed.

So while I have no idea if he's a genius, he did seem to have a high level of baseball intelligence because he carried himself like he was a veteran in terms of even the little actions a player, especially a catcher, takes on the field.
Yes, Murphy speaks spanish fluently which should help him as a catcher.

Yankee Fan in Boston
05-07-10, 08:21 AM
This made Mr. Happy...happy:

http://minormatterstrenton.blogspot.com/

That's awesome. I really want him to get moved up -- seems like he could use a bit more of a challenge

Melan-cynic
05-07-10, 10:55 AM
That's awesome. I really want him to get moved up -- seems like he could use a bit more of a challengeDefinitely needs to be moved up. He's my homey, but at 22, he's too old and his stuff is far too good for the Sally.

Him, Noesi and Warren should've been promoted yesterday.

indianyanksfan
05-07-10, 12:01 PM
any reason they are not moving up pitchers that quickly?

primetime714
05-07-10, 03:13 PM
any reason they are not moving up pitchers that quickly?

Not sure exactly, but looking at some comparables for them:

DJ Mitchell at age 22 was promoted to Tampa after 37 dominant innings (6 games) in Charleston, so with Stoneburner at 38 innings (6 games) of a similar quality of play he should move up real soon.

Warren on the other hand would be comparable to guys like Ian Kennedy and Jeremy Bleich. Kennedy was promoted to Trenton after 63 innings (11 games) and Bleich was promoted after 79.1 innings (14 games). So Warren at 35.1 innings (6 games) is maybe halfway through his stint in Tampa assuming he maintains a high level of play.

As far as Noesi goes I think he probably hasn't moved up just because they didn't have someone they were ready to promote to Tampa to replace him or someone to promote to Charleston to replace that guy. Or they just wanted to give Pendleton more starts in AA. If Phelps wasn't so impressive in ST I think Noesi might've taken his spot in AA to start the year. So Noesi is probably just a "victim" of depth charts.

flymick24
05-07-10, 03:18 PM
interesting, but i never previously saw the promotion benchmarks being predicated on the pitchers' "stuff"... but i guess that makes sense

teknetic
05-07-10, 03:25 PM
Hard-throwing right-hander Romulo Sanchez is here, but he said he has no idea what his role might be. Sanchez said he might be pitching out of the bullpen.

http://yankees.lhblogs.com/

I assume he also has no idea where the ball will land once it leaves his hand.

TheHugeUnit2
05-07-10, 03:26 PM
http://yankees.lhblogs.com/

I assume he also has no idea where the ball will land once it leaves his hand.
He was called up to pinch run since we're facing Tek and VMart.

sjkqw
05-07-10, 03:54 PM
Braboy off DL. Olbrychowski is back on it.
I assume Braboy will take Kapala's rotation spot, which he owned before this injury.

Philip Hughes Fan
05-07-10, 07:00 PM
Any word on why Montero was taken out today?

bmxstreetrider86
05-07-10, 07:24 PM
UPDATE, 7:50: Jesus Montero out of the game. Evidently, he pulled up lame running out his groundout in the second inning.

Melan-cynic
05-07-10, 07:47 PM
Fml..

sjkqw
05-07-10, 08:45 PM
Just gonna refix the transactions because there were some more after the original.
Brandon Braboy to Active A+ Roster.
Adam Olbrychowski to DL.
Tim Norton to Staten Island
Kevin Whelan to Active AAA roster.
John Van Benschoten to DL
PJ Pillitere to Active AAA roster.

Of course Montero is now injured so we will have to watch there..

1936-1939JoeNLou
05-07-10, 08:47 PM
Wasn't Brackman a 100 mph guy?

YanksForLife
05-07-10, 09:14 PM
Anybody know why Miranda has not played the last 2 games?

bmxstreetrider86
05-07-10, 09:24 PM
Wasn't Brackman a 100 mph guy?

he hit 99 on the cape his soph year, hasnt shown that much velo since

TheHugeUnit2
05-07-10, 10:17 PM
UPDATE, 7:50: Jesus Montero out of the game. Evidently, he pulled up lame running out his groundout in the second inning.
RAB said after he was taken out he warmed up pitchers, so it seems like he was just sandbagging it. I'd assume if he was hurt they wouldn't let him warm up pitchers.

philleotardo
05-07-10, 10:19 PM
Phelps

6 IP, 2 H, 0 ER, 1BB, 5 K

9:4 GB/FB

bmxstreetrider86
05-07-10, 10:51 PM
RAB said after he was taken out he warmed up pitchers, so it seems like he was just sandbagging it. I'd assume if he was hurt they wouldn't let him warm up pitchers.

i hope this is the case

Yankees1962
05-07-10, 11:08 PM
i hope this is the case
If he was hurt, why would they allow him to warm up pitchers in the bullpen? He would be getting some tests or treatment, I would think.

bmxstreetrider86
05-07-10, 11:10 PM
If he was hurt, why would they allow him to warm up pitchers in the bullpen? He would be getting some tests or treatment, I would think.

im not saying he is hurt, just hoping for the best

NYCrusader
05-07-10, 11:55 PM
http://twitter.com/swbyankeesTT/statuses/13579746222

Evidently, Jesus Montero is warming up relievers in the Yankees bullpen now. Perhaps he didn't pull up lame. Maybe he didn't hustle?

flymick24
05-08-10, 12:03 AM
that's a nono

dpbddd99
05-08-10, 08:02 AM
Updates on Betances, Banuelous, and others.

http://riveraveblues.com/2010/05/romine-extends-hit-streak-in-trenton-win-27985/

Yankyfan
05-08-10, 08:09 AM
I heard we resigned Justin Christian Any info on this anyone?

dpbddd99
05-08-10, 11:30 AM
I heard we resigned Justin Christian Any info on this anyone?
Likely headed to Trenton.

dpbddd99
05-08-10, 11:56 AM
Article on Brackman.

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/yankees/towering_yanks_prospect_struggles_rqiGCyT1RC33WRjDDIdT2O

Yankyfan
05-08-10, 01:42 PM
Likely headed to Trenton. So he is signed and Trenton bound ?

dpbddd99
05-08-10, 04:11 PM
So he is signed and Trenton bound ?

Yep. http://thunderbaseball.wordpress.com/2010/05/08/snyder-promoted-christian-to-trenton/

Yankyfan
05-08-10, 04:39 PM
Thanks for the info:P

sjkqw
05-08-10, 05:46 PM
Christian to Trenton. Snyder to Scranton. I don't think Snyder is even close to ready for Scranton. Why not put the veteran Christian there? Or even Reid Gorecki.

All of this is of course from Russo to NY to replace the injured Nick Johnson.

primetime714
05-08-10, 05:51 PM
Christian to Trenton. Snyder to Scranton. I don't think Snyder is even close to ready for Scranton. Why not put the veteran Christian there? Or even Reid Gorecki.

All of this is of course from Russo to NY to replace the injured Nick Johnson.

That's kind of the story of Snyder's minor league career. Put him wherever there is room even if he isn't ready. But the reason for the move was clearly because they needed another INF in Scranton. I don't think Snyder will stay there when Russo comes back, but who knows. Snyder is basically filler anyway.

sjkqw
05-08-10, 05:52 PM
He had a good year at Charleston, but then they forced him to skip Tampa.

And I would actually say that Scranton could've used the OF. They have Cusick as the reserve IF as well. Snyder just provides versatility so that may be what they needed.

ajra21
05-09-10, 05:40 AM
I think he basically needs an injury to get a real shot. The team will stick with Pena as the backup cause he gives them good defense and has been solid in that role. However should any of our middle infielders go down Russo will likely be the first called up and is probably a better option than Pena to fill in on a more regular basis particularly at 2B and 3B where Russo is solid defensively.

it happened. like that they've been playing in the outfield, including centre.

primetime714
05-09-10, 03:13 PM
it happened. like that they've been playing in the outfield, including centre.

His stay looks like it could be short lived with Cano back at 2B tonight. His ability to play OF may keep him around a bit longer though. I'd still expect either Sanchez or Russo to go down soon in favor of Juan Miranda.

Melan-cynic
05-09-10, 09:18 PM
Article on Brackman.

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/yankees/towering_yanks_prospect_struggles_rqiGCyT1RC33WRjDDIdT2OWould it have killed the guy to make some calls and let us know what Brackman's stuff is looking like now? Weak .................

parkerstrong
05-10-10, 06:08 AM
Anybody heard of David Adams? He isnt on any of the top prospect lists but he is 21 years old and killing the ball in Trenton.....whats his story? I'm going to watch Trenton tonight against the New Britain Rock Cats and was curious...

YankProspector
05-10-10, 07:36 AM
Anybody heard of David Adams? He isnt on any of the top prospect lists but he is 21 years old and killing the ball in Trenton.....whats his story? I'm going to watch Trenton tonight against the New Britain Rock Cats and was curious...

LOL...What is a rock cat?

Snatch Catch
05-10-10, 08:10 AM

He's actually a really talented guy who was projected to be a 1st/supp round pick before he had an off year and battled some injuries.

parkerstrong
05-10-10, 08:33 AM
LOL...What is a rock cat?

There are many crazy names for minor league teams lol

parkerstrong
05-10-10, 08:34 AM
He's actually a really talented guy who was projected to be a 1st/supp round pick before he had an off year and battled some injuries.

So he has a chance to be a good/great prospect or did he just have an amazing month? Obviously with Cano he wont finish at 2B with the Yankees, but would be nice to have him develop into a tradeable asset.

Snatch Catch
05-10-10, 08:43 AM
So he has a chance to be a good/great prospect or did he just have an amazing month? Obviously with Cano he wont finish at 2B with the Yankees, but would be nice to have him develop into a tradeable asset.

He's got a legit chance to be a good prospect, yes. This isn't a hot month by a scrub.

Here's what BA wrote about him going into the 2008 draft (Yankees ended up taking him in the 3rd round):

Ranked as the No. 67 prospect in the 2005 draft by BA, Adams lasted until the 21st round, when the Tigers took him, because of a strong commitment to Virginia. He followed through on the commitment with the expectation that he would be the successor to Ryan Zimmerman at third base, though he has spent most of his time at second instead. After productive freshman and sophomore seasons at Virginia and in the Cape Cod League, Adams seemed to be on his way to possible first-round consideration. But he has had a disappointing junior year, batting .281--more than 100 points lower than his sophomore season. A gap-to-gap hitter with occasional power, Adams profiles as a second baseman at the pro level as well. He's an experienced hitter with an advanced approach and has a good track record of hitting with wood, though he has an unorthodox swing and scouts are unsure if it will play at the next level. In the field, Adams is fairly athletic and has the potential to be average defensively. He's also regarded as a good all-around baseball player with advanced instincts.

primetime714
05-10-10, 09:09 AM

He's actually 23 years old (well, in 5 days he will be), but he's one of the better offensive prospects in our system. He was drafted in the 3rd round of the 2008 draft. He's at least solid in just about every aspect of the game. As a hitter he's a good contact hitter who should hit for average and currently shows good gap power. Defensively he has a strong arm and ok range, so he safely projects to be able to stay at 2B but does have the ability to move to 3B or corner OF. He's got above average speed and should rack up probably around 15 steals a year. Overall he's definitely a guy to keep an eye on particularly if he continues to play the way he has thus far. Could be potential trade bait in the future as he probably has more value as a 2B than any other position he could be moved to and he isn't pushing Cano out of that spot. That said I wouldn't be surprised to see him play some OF next year as he gets closer to the majors as that will give him a better shot of cracking the ML roster should an injury occur.

Yankees1962
05-10-10, 09:12 AM
I think the Yankees will call up Nova today due to having Mitre and Javy going the next two days and with Sanchez throwing almost 4 innings last night because of Burnett's poor game. They need a long man because Mitre will only go 65-70 pitches today and with Javy going tomorrow, you don't want to burn your bullpen up in two days with no schedule off days for almost two weeks.

Yankees1962
05-10-10, 09:15 AM
He's actually 23 years old (well, in 5 days he will be), but he's one of the better offensive prospects in our system. He was drafted in the 3rd round of the 2008 draft. He's at least solid in just about every aspect of the game. As a hitter he's a good contact hitter who should hit for average and currently shows good gap power. Defensively he has a strong arm and ok range, so he safely projects to be able to stay at 2B but does have the ability to move to 3B or corner OF. He's got above average speed and should rack up probably around 15 steals a year. Overall he's definitely a guy to keep an eye on particularly if he continues to play the way he has thus far. Could be potential trade bait in the future as he probably has more value as a 2B than any other position he could be moved to and he isn't pushing Cano out of that spot. That said I wouldn't be surprised to see him play some OF next year as he gets closer to the majors as that will give him a better shot of cracking the ML roster should an injury occur.
Adams was highly regarded before having a down season, the year he was drafted. They reworked his swing and he appears to be playing to those prior scouting reports earlier in his college career.

jerez23
05-10-10, 10:49 AM
Stoneburner came out after 1 inning today. Does anyone know what happened? I hope it's not another injury. This is getting ridiculous

Melan-cynic
05-10-10, 11:05 AM
Sonuva..

flymick24
05-10-10, 11:44 AM
bitch

Posada_20
05-10-10, 11:47 AM
Listening to game right now. Announcer just said that Stoneburner was not removed because of injury. Does not know the actual reason but has confirmed it was not injury related. Said he is in the dugout right now leaning over the railing watching the game.

TheHugeUnit2
05-10-10, 12:05 PM
Listening to game right now. Announcer just said that Stoneburner was not removed because of injury. Does not know the actual reason but has confirmed it was not injury related. Said he is in the dugout right now leaning over the railing watching the game.Perhaps Nova will be called up and just everyone is moving up a spot?

Snatch Catch
05-10-10, 12:56 PM
Listening to game right now. Announcer just said that Stoneburner was not removed because of injury. Does not know the actual reason but has confirmed it was not injury related. Said he is in the dugout right now leaning over the railing watching the game.

How bizarre, how bizarre.

Snatch Catch
05-10-10, 12:56 PM
Perhaps Nova will be called up and just everyone is moving up a spot?

You should correct your sig - it's "Promised Land."

ARoDfan4life
05-10-10, 02:10 PM
Ivan Nova, whose regular turn in the rotation would have been yesterday, has been called to New York, where he’ll undoubtedly serve as the long reliever for a few days. A move was expected after Romulo Sanchez went several innings last night. Tonight’s starter, Sergio Mitre, is on a 65-75 pitch count. Tomorrow’s, Javier Vazquez, has been ineffective all season. Sanchez would have been unavailable tonight, and probably tomorrow, too.

Good luck Ivan.:mad:

kan_t
05-10-10, 02:17 PM
Good luck Ivan.:mad:
Does he need to work harder? ;)

eaganmafia
05-10-10, 02:33 PM
Perhaps Nova will be called up and just everyone is moving up a spot?

Would they really remove a guy in the 1st inning just cause he's getting bumped up a level?

TheHugeUnit2
05-10-10, 03:18 PM
You should correct your sig - it's "Promised Land."

oh really?? never knew that thanks, but I don't have PS anymore so meh.:P

JavyVazquezIsSick
05-10-10, 03:43 PM
Anyone know when Jorge Vazquez is expected back?

sjkqw
05-10-10, 03:54 PM
He isn't too far off. http://riveraveblues.com/2010/05/romine-extends-hit-streak-in-trenton-win-27985/

Brad Rulon was taken off the Tampa roster today in favor of Tim Norton. Rulon has a low 2.08 ERA, but had low groundout totals and high walks though SSS as always. This is very puzzling.
Could he be headed to Trenton in a couple of days as someone from Trenton goes up and a Scranton bench player is DL'd? Otherwise I don't understand this move as Rulon has shown to be a very solid player so far.

dpbddd99
05-10-10, 05:04 PM
Schmidt to Scranton.

http://thunderbaseball.wordpress.com/2010/05/10/schmidt-sent-to-scranton/

sjkqw
05-10-10, 05:38 PM
Wow I'm so happy for Schmidt. Hopefully Rulon to Trenton is the next move as previously expected.

iiMax
05-10-10, 06:02 PM
Why don't they call up Jon Weber?

sjkqw
05-10-10, 06:05 PM
He's doing awful. and he not on the 40 man. Greg Golson is. Chad Huffman is. They could always put Dave Winfree on it before him. Maybe even Curtis when he gets back.

Basically he's at the end of a long line.

dpbddd99
05-10-10, 06:10 PM
Anyone know when Jorge Vazquez is expected back?

Per River Avenue Blues: Jorge Vasquez had an appendectomy like Banuelos, and isn’t too far off.

sjkqw
05-10-10, 07:24 PM
Trenton has their bats explode even though Adams is hitless. I recall Gil being 3-3 and Romine 2-3. They lead 8-1 and Pope has the unearned run there.

Noesi is outdueling Kyle Gibson through 5. He had just allow 1 hit while striking out 6 and walking Zero. He has hit a batter and balked.

Gibson has allowed 3 hits, 1 run, 5 K, 2 BB.
7 GO-0 AO. Tampa needs to put the ball in the air at least. Melky Mesa has a double, but that is it.

flymick24
05-10-10, 08:08 PM
montero with another 0'fer tonight

parkerstrong
05-10-10, 08:41 PM
Trenton has their bats explode even though Adams is hitless. I recall Gil being 3-3 and Romine 2-3. They lead 8-1 and Pope has the unearned run there.

Noesi is outdueling Kyle Gibson through 5. He had just allow 1 hit while striking out 6 and walking Zero. He has hit a batter and balked.

Gibson has allowed 3 hits, 1 run, 5 K, 2 BB.
7 GO-0 AO. Tampa needs to put the ball in the air at least. Melky Mesa has a double, but that is it.

I just got home from the game (its freezing out) and Adam went 0-5 but hit two rockets right at someone. He got lucky on a scoring decision when he tried to backhand a ball that he should have gotten in front of-I thought it was an error.

Romine was 2-4 when I left (he was going to lead off the 9th)-1 sharp single and 1 so-so single-hit off of the 3rd baseman's glove which could have been a hit or error. He scored from second on a shallow single to left and was impressed with his speed-nothing amazing, but not slow.

parkerstrong
05-10-10, 09:53 PM
montero with another 0'fer tonight

He went 1-3 with a double......

yankee82093
05-10-10, 09:59 PM
He went 1-3 with a double......

He went 0-4. http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?sid=milb&t=g_box&gid=2010_05_10_colaaa_swbaaa_1

bmxstreetrider86
05-10-10, 10:08 PM
his boxscore says 0-4

parkerstrong
05-11-10, 08:09 AM
He went 0-4. http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?sid=milb&t=g_box&gid=2010_05_10_colaaa_swbaaa_1

I stand corrected. I looked up the box score here

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?sid=t531&gid=2010_04_08_bufaaa_swbaaa_1&cid=531&t=g_box

and it said he was 1-3 with a double. It looks like I had the wrong date.

Posada_20
05-11-10, 08:15 AM
Looks like Stoneburner was removed due to a pending promotion to Tampa according to riveraveblues.com.

Yankee Fan in Boston
05-11-10, 08:48 AM
Looks like Stoneburner was removed due to a pending promotion to Tampa according to riveraveblues.com.

Good news. He needs the challenge

dpbddd99
05-11-10, 11:35 AM
Juan Miranda called up.

dpbddd99
05-11-10, 07:29 PM
Bleich pitched 6 1/3 innings, no runs, five strike outs

flymick24
05-11-10, 11:58 PM
step in the right direction, but i still want to rip off oppenheimer's nipples for drafting him

JavyVazquezIsSick
05-12-10, 05:48 AM
I feel like this isn't hard but the Yankees seem to have a hard time understanding this. Only draft guys who have big upsides, because they are going to be the only players who are going to make it on the Yankees.

dpbddd99
05-12-10, 06:07 AM
Confirmed, Stoneburner promoted to Tampa. Jario Heredia sent down to replace him.
<table class="dataTableClass" id="table_0" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr class="dataRow odd"><td id="cell_64" class="dataCell" style="width: 240px;" align="left">
</td></tr> <tr class="dataRow even"> <td id="cell_65" class="currSortDataCell" style="width: 50px;" align="left">
</td><td id="cell_65" class="dataCell" style="width: 70px;" align="left">
</td><td id="cell_65" class="dataCell" style="width: 110px;" align="left">
</td><td id="cell_65" class="dataCell" style="width: 90px;" align="left">
</td><td id="cell_65" class="dataCell" style="width: 240px;" align="left">
</td></tr></tbody></table>

b_joseph
05-12-10, 06:16 AM
I feel like this isn't hard but the Yankees seem to have a hard time understanding this. Only draft guys who have big upsides, because they are going to be the only players who are going to make it on the Yankees.Gardner doesnt have a big upside and he is making on the Yankees. Robertson same and even thought this year is is struggling, last year he was a good part of the team.

IMO, you need to draft a mix of players. The raw, high upside types and then then players who you think can move up the system quickly. The ones who can move up quickly can save you a lot of money on back up types.

indianyanksfan
05-12-10, 07:00 AM
how has heredia been doing this year?

JavyVazquezIsSick
05-12-10, 07:29 AM
Gardner doesnt have a big upside and he is making on the Yankees. Robertson same and even thought this year is is struggling, last year he was a good part of the team.

IMO, you need to draft a mix of players. The raw, high upside types and then then players who you think can move up the system quickly. The ones who can move up quickly can save you a lot of money on back up types.

Gardner plays a premium position and had an elite skill. Robertson was a closer out of college.

I was referring to SPs more than anything.

b_joseph
05-12-10, 09:25 AM
But again, there are plenty of SP's who have had really good careers, while not showing much raw/high upside ability before reaching the majors. Thats why the organization likes to get to know certain guys to see how they are mentally because certain players who dont wow you with stuff, can wow you with their intangibles.

Regardless of what team you are, your goal is to find good players that can help your team. If one or two of those players turn into star players, then all the better but just producing players who can help your club will satisfy any team.

And then money comes into it also. They speak about having a budget with these things.

b_joseph
05-12-10, 09:30 AM
how has heredia been doing this year?Struggling I think...dont know if he might be hurt or whatever.

JavyVazquezIsSick
05-12-10, 10:40 AM
But again, there are plenty of SP's who have had really good careers, while not showing much raw/high upside ability before reaching the majors. Thats why the organization likes to get to know certain guys to see how they are mentally because certain players who dont wow you with stuff, can wow you with their intangibles.

Regardless of what team you are, your goal is to find good players that can help your team. If one or two of those players turn into star players, then all the better but just producing players who can help your club will satisfy any team.

And then money comes into it also. They speak about having a budget with these things.

Yes, just like Jeremy Bleich. He's wowing us.

People who have high upside stuff are much more likely to become front line starters. These are just the facts.

A guy like McAllister will NEVER have a place in the Yankees starting rotation.

Melan-cynic
05-12-10, 10:56 AM
how has heredia been doing this year?Never been a big fan of Heredia. A lot of overhyped projection, some nice performance but can never stay healthy.

b_joseph
05-12-10, 10:59 AM
But how do you know that? If he gets a chance and performs at a good level ( which he may or may not do ), then why should his raw ability come into the decision on whether he sticks around?

Yes, guys with better stuff are more likely to become frontline starters but all I am saying is that not all frontline starters have great stuff. And thats why scouts/decision makers look under all rocks.
Just like how not all great Basketball players can jump out of the gym or QB's are not all rocket armed, 6'4'' guys.

It doesnt look like we'll agree.

JavyVazquezIsSick
05-12-10, 11:07 AM
But how do you know that? If he gets a chance and performs at a good level ( which he may or may not do ), then why should his raw ability come into the decision on whether he sticks around?

Yes, guys with better stuff are more likely to become frontline starters but all I am saying is that not all frontline starters have great stuff. And thats why scouts/decision makers look under all rocks.
Just like how not all great Basketball players can jump out of the gym or QB's are not all rocket armed, 6'4'' guys.

It doesnt look like we'll agree.

Name me 5 current front line starters without great stuff.

dpbddd99
05-12-10, 11:12 AM
Golson not Miranda goes up.

http://blogs.thetimes-tribune.com/yankees/?p=4397#more-4397

THEBOSS84
05-12-10, 11:13 AM
Name me 5 current front line starters without great stuff.

Let's figure out what front line means before we go through with this.

dpbddd99
05-12-10, 11:15 AM
how has heredia been doing this year?

0-6 with a 6.03 ERA in 24 innings. Only 14 ks.

primetime714
05-12-10, 11:47 AM

Plus back-end type starters also can turn into very good relievers on good teams. For example look at guys like Aceves, Park, Ty Clippard. Aceves was great for us last year. Park has been very solid out of the bullpen since making that transition. Clippard has made us regret dealing him as he currently is tied for the ML lead in wins and has been dominant for the Nat out of their pen.

That said I'm certainly in favor of increasing the talent in the system and taking a few more risks on high upside players, but I'm also ok with selecting low risk lower upside players who safely project to contribute in some way at the major league level.

Plus how many potential ace pitchers do you see in a given draft that aren't snatched up early? Not too many and if they do slip there's usually a good reason (signability, injuries, etc).

b_joseph
05-12-10, 01:11 PM
Name me 5 current front line starters without great stuff.First what do you class as great stuff? What I get from what you are saying is high 90's fastball combined with back breaking bendy stuff? The type of guy who you see as a teenager and just immediately think potential superstar.

But in theory, every frontline starter has great stuff because they get people out more often than most other pitchers.

sjkqw
05-12-10, 03:40 PM
LOL! Noel Castillo to Scranton.
http://thunderbaseball.wordpress.com/