PDA

View Full Version : May 2010 Minor League Thread

Pages : 1 2 [3]

Bob420
05-28-10, 09:22 AM
I was ripped for making similar comments after he was picked. It was a terrible pick and one that almost certainly would fail. He was a project without the surgery. Major League contract? Incredibly stupid. Most likely scenario if he ever puts it together is that the Yankees drafted him, paid for his surgery and a couple extra million, rehabbed him and he will pitch for another team.

Posada_20
05-28-10, 09:33 AM
And more pressing, how many options does he have left? Did we have to option him in 2007? I don't think we did in 2008 since he missed the whole year, but we still might only have one more option year left.

As most of us that don't like Brackman have said, the problem is not taking on projects like this, it's taking on projects like this with a 1st round pick and paying them like they're just a top talent that fell (a la Porcello). And even without the obvious arm injury, Brackman would have been a huge project.

Yanks were all set to take Porcello but Tigers foiled them by grabbing him 2 picks earlier. At thatpoint, Yanks decided to take risk on a high ceiling arm like Brackman who would have gone in top 5 if not for his injury issues. I'm not giving up on him, but this is why I would not take Anthony Ranaudo in the first round of this draft. Lets for once draft a pitcher who is not injured. Jeremy Bleich now has a torn labrum, so another wasted draft pick.

ppa79
05-28-10, 10:54 AM
What are your thoughts on Laird? He is having a good season

parkerstrong
05-28-10, 01:48 PM
And more pressing, how many options does he have left? Did we have to option him in 2007? I don't think we did in 2008 since he missed the whole year, but we still might only have one more option year left.

As most of us that don't like Brackman have said, the problem is not taking on projects like this, it's taking on projects like this with a 1st round pick and paying them like they're just a top talent that fell (a la Porcello). And even without the obvious arm injury, Brackman would have been a huge project.

I agre with you-Brackman has been a huge bust-valuable draft pick, high salary, and had to use a 40-man roster spot. How soon is he required to be on the 25-man roster or be subject to waivers?

NelsonMuntz
05-28-10, 02:46 PM
I was ripped for making similar comments after he was picked. It was a terrible pick and one that almost certainly would fail. He was a project without the surgery. Major League contract? Incredibly stupid. Most likely scenario if he ever puts it together is that the Yankees drafted him, paid for his surgery and a couple extra million, rehabbed him and he will pitch for another team.
You didn't quote anyone.

BRONXBOMBERS06
05-28-10, 02:52 PM
I'm goin to catch Laird & Romine up in Manchester tonight, Poll where does NYY fans rate Romine vs Montero ? I know Montero AAA & Romine is AA. Just opinion.

bmxstreetrider86
05-28-10, 03:15 PM
montero is a better hitter and prospect, romine is a better defender and a solid hitter, was underrated by MSM heading into year

Iknowcool
05-28-10, 03:16 PM
I agre with you-Brackman has been a huge bust-valuable draft pick, high salary, and had to use a 40-man roster spot. How soon is he required to be on the 25-man roster or be subject to waivers?

He has options up to the 2011 season, and then we can apply for another option because he missed a year due to injury. So he can spend all of 2010, 2011 and 2012 in the minors.

Philip Hughes Fan
05-28-10, 03:46 PM
He has options up to the 2011 season, and then we can apply for another option because he missed a year due to injury. So he can spend all of 2010, 2011 and 2012 in the minors.

Are you sure about this? If we had to option him in 2007, 2011 would already be the extra option we get for his injury.

sjkqw
05-28-10, 04:37 PM
Today's Transactions: Shaeffer Hall promoted to Tampa. Ramon Flores back to EST. Josh Romanski finally brought to Charleston.

Next move has to be Warren to Trenton. Perez to Tampa. Cotham/Brooks to Charleston.

Warren is pitching tonight so we will see after this performance

nhyankeefan
05-28-10, 04:59 PM
I'm goin to catch Laird & Romine up in Manchester tonight, Poll where does NYY fans rate Romine vs Montero ? I know Montero AAA & Romine is AA. Just opinion.

Any idea what the matchups are this weekend. I was thinking of going Sunday night and I think Mitchell will be pitching.

what's up doc?
05-28-10, 06:59 PM
Per Baseball America, Yankees signed OF Rudy Guiilen who was in the system in 2007. They can find no record of appearances the last two years. Ugh!

Rudy Guillen? The 30 year old Rudy Guillen? The Rudy Guillen who already washed out as an outfielder and pitch? That Rudy Guillen?

Just what the h*#& is going on around here???

sjkqw
05-28-10, 07:46 PM
All Star Selections
Tampa: Adam Warren, Hector Noesi, Mitch Abeita, Corban Joseph, Jack Rye

I don't know who picked this team. Abeita was hot for the first two weeks of the year before freezing. Rye has great stats, but has not even started consistently. Obviously Noesi is to be replaced for he is going to AA.

flymick24
05-28-10, 08:27 PM
sanit suspended 50 games for greenies

philleotardo
05-28-10, 08:34 PM
I was ripped for making similar comments after he was picked. If you go back and read the comments from the draft thread that day, you were definitely in the majority.

dpbddd99
05-28-10, 09:00 PM
Rudy Guillen? The 30 year old Rudy Guillen? The Rudy Guillen who already washed out as an outfielder and pitch? That Rudy Guillen?

Just what the h*#& is going on around here???
That is the one. He is 26.

Jax Teller
05-28-10, 09:26 PM
Romine 2-3, BB
Laird 2-4, 2RBI

Phelps
7IP 3H 1ER 3BB 3K

BRONXBOMBERS06
05-28-10, 09:47 PM
Just got back, Impressed with all 3 guys ( Romine, Laird, Phelps) Nice prospects to have in AA

Romine 2-3, BB
Laird 2-4, 2RBI

Phelps
7IP 3H 1ER 3BB 3K

a yankeesfan
05-28-10, 09:49 PM
Just got back, Impressed with all 3 guys ( Romine, Laird, Phelps) Nice prospects to have in AA
If you get the chance, could you give us a little more commentary?

BRONXBOMBERS06
05-28-10, 09:49 PM
Looks like Pendelton / Perez ?

Any idea what the matchups are this weekend. I was thinking of going Sunday night and I think Mitchell will be pitching.

Matsui55
05-28-10, 10:33 PM

This is wrong on several levels.

One- he has options remaining for this year AND next.

Two- he's already in high A ball- as a SP

Three- he is working that IP count up- he got to 100 last year- I will assume the goal this year is to get to 130-145 or so. Then, to get him to 170 next year.

Four- what he needs more than anything else is IP- he has the "stuff-" knowing how to use it and gaining experience has been the problem

Five- as Hughes and Joba have shown, the Yanks are not at all adverse to putting minor league SP in the pen for a year or more before transitioning them to SP.

Put all of this together, and the plan is obvious- Brackman is to pitch as a SP through the end of 2011- and would be called up to NY in September 2011- and immediately placed in the bullpen. He would pitch there in 2012, where he should be more than ready with his power stuff.

Then, he would go through the "Phil Hughes School of Learning how to be a ML Pitcher" in the bullpen until ready- and then sent to the rotation.

It will not be a short process, but anyone who thinks he won't be in NY in 2012 is likely to be quite surprised by this time next year.

THEBOSS84
05-28-10, 10:47 PM
That was perhaps the most optimistic Brackman post I've seen in 2 years.

Matsui55
05-28-10, 10:56 PM
That was perhaps the most optimistic Brackman post I've seen in 2 years.

That's because too many here get caught up in trying to one-up themselves on cute comments based on their disappointment from 2009 instead of paying attention to what he's actually been doing in 2010.

Take a look at his May starts, as well as his K to walk ratio. Also look at his April performance before he was shut down and his May performance- something has clicked.

flymick24
05-28-10, 10:59 PM
matsui55 is to brackman what hughes2.50 is to hughes

flymick24
05-28-10, 11:01 PM
That's because too many here get caught up in trying to one-up themselves on cute comments based on their disappointment from 2009 instead of paying attention to what he's actually been doing in 2010.

Take a look at his May starts, as well as his K to walk ratio. Also look at his April performance before he was shut down and his May performance- something has clicked.

his stuff has not been terribly overpowering, and by all accounts, his FB velocity is pedestrian this year, usually 90-92... not the triple digits scounts saw in the cape

i'm all for being optimistic, but the bottom line is that brackman has for all intents and purposes been terribly underwhelming, especially considering some of the players taken after our pick

Yankees1962
05-28-10, 11:07 PM
his stuff has not been terribly overpowering, and by all accounts, his FB velocity is pedestrian this year, usually 90-92... not the triple digits scounts saw in the cape

i'm all for being optimistic, but the bottom line is that brackman has for all intents and purposes been terribly underwhelming, especially considering some of the players taken after our pick
There's been talk that his fastball velocity at 90-92 is by design that the Yankees don't want him throwing his fastball at maximum effort so they can continue to work with him repeating his delivery this season.

Art Vanderlay
05-28-10, 11:09 PM

Didn't like the Brachman pick, don't know if he will make it, I will not get excited about a 25year old pitching well in A Ball.

Yankees1962
05-28-10, 11:16 PM
Didn't like the Brachman pick, don't know if he will make it, I will not get excited about a 25year old pitching well in A Ball.
His 25th birthday is still more than six months away. Anyhow, I want to see more from him this season, but it's still possible for him to be on a ML roster before his 26th birthday.

flymick24
05-28-10, 11:19 PM
There's been talk that his fastball velocity at 90-92 is by design that the Yankees don't want him throwing his fastball at maximum effort so they can continue to work with him repeating his delivery this season.

him sitting low 90s pretty much defeats the entire purpose of us having drafted him... we knew at the time that he'd be a project, but we at least thought he'd be able to maintain his unique stuff during the overhaul

i guess that didn't happen

Yankees1962
05-28-10, 11:21 PM
him sitting low 90s pretty much defeats the entire purpose of us having drafted him... we knew at the time that he'd be a project, but we at least thought he'd be able to maintain his unique stuff during the overhaul

i guess that didn't happen
You're assuming that he stays in the low 90's for his entire career. You can do that, but I'm going to wait and see what happens with him over the next couple of years.

flymick24
05-28-10, 11:22 PM
he was low 90's last year too.. in fact, he was high 80's at times, even

Yankees1962
05-28-10, 11:22 PM
He was more than that during Instructs.

Yankees1962
05-28-10, 11:25 PM
Brackman might very well turn out to be a bust, but since I've waited almost three years for him now, I think I can give him another 18 months or so to see for sure, one way or another.

flymick24
05-28-10, 11:30 PM
i admire your tenacity, but for many others of us, we've already become resigned to the fact that he won't amount to much

Yankees1962
05-28-10, 11:33 PM
i admire your tenacity, but for many others of us, we've already become resigned to the fact that he won't amount to much
It's not a fact quite yet, but you're welcome to that opinion.

Matsui55
05-29-10, 07:26 AM

Since it appears that you are relying on Goldstein's word on his velo, you had better send a followup to him and ask whether he saw him in April or May. Its pretty clear he's been two differnent pitchers in the two months- he also appears to have been injured in some way in April, as he had to be shut down for a couple weeks.

Matsui55
05-29-10, 07:26 AM

Proving my point...

Matsui55
05-29-10, 07:29 AM
i admire your tenacity, but for many others of us, we've already become resigned to the fact that he won't amount to much\

Let's take the absolute rear-mirror shortest view possible, so that it supports our worldview and ignore what is actually happening.

Matsui55
05-29-10, 07:31 AM
matsui55 is to brackman what hughes2.50 is to hughes

Considering Hughes success, I wonder if you actually just thought about this before you hit "submit."

kan_t
05-29-10, 08:11 AM
Considering Hughes success, I wonder if you actually just thought about this before you hit "submit."
I suggest you to read Hughes2.50's 2006 projection on Hughes again.

Art Vanderlay
05-29-10, 09:28 AM
Proving my point...

I think everyone wants Brackman to suceed and make an impact in the show. The facts are we have a 24.5 year old project in A Ball taking up a spot on the 40 man roster. And history is not kind to players of that age who have not yet made an impact at the upper levels of the minors. I made this point several years ago when Alan Horne was dominating at AA at age 25. I told everyone back then that while I was rooting for Horne the reality is there was a much better chance that he would be flipping burgers in a few years than pitching for the Yankees. I wish Brackman luck, but the odds are against him.

sjkqw
05-29-10, 09:38 AM
Today's Transactions: Scranton starts one over roster limit. Whelan to Trenton. Noel Castillo to Tampa. Braboy to DL. Heyer to Inactive List. Rulon back in Tampa.

Snatch Catch
05-29-10, 09:45 AM

He was also mid and high 90s at times, too.

Brackman is frustrating for sure but his path is much longer and more rocky by nature. Vent the frustration, sure, but to give up now is short-sighted and extremely premature in my opinion.

BRONXBOMBERS06
05-29-10, 10:50 AM
Basically focused on Romine & Laird, Both good bats , like that they both have good idea of the strike zone. They didn't swing at bad pitches.

Phelps has good heat, decent curve. He was in command all night, went 7.2, 3 hits, 1 ER

If you get the chance, could you give us a little more commentary?

Bob420
05-29-10, 11:55 AM
This is wrong on several levels.

One- he has options remaining for this year AND next.

Two- he's already in high A ball- as a SP

Three- he is working that IP count up- he got to 100 last year- I will assume the goal this year is to get to 130-145 or so. Then, to get him to 170 next year.

Four- what he needs more than anything else is IP- he has the "stuff-" knowing how to use it and gaining experience has been the problem

Five- as Hughes and Joba have shown, the Yanks are not at all adverse to putting minor league SP in the pen for a year or more before transitioning them to SP.

Put all of this together, and the plan is obvious- Brackman is to pitch as a SP through the end of 2011- and would be called up to NY in September 2011- and immediately placed in the bullpen. He would pitch there in 2012, where he should be more than ready with his power stuff.

Then, he would go through the "Phil Hughes School of Learning how to be a ML Pitcher" in the bullpen until ready- and then sent to the rotation.

It will not be a short process, but anyone who thinks he won't be in NY in 2012 is likely to be quite surprised by this time next year.

1. Who cares how many options he has left? He isn't going to see ML time any time soon. His club options for 2011, 2012 and 2013 will need to be picked up just to give him a shot.

2. High A ball as a 24 year old college pitcher? He may be pitching better as of late but his numbers aren't great. Low BB is about the only good thing. Color me not impressed.

3. Again, who cares that he is getting his IP count up. The point was he was a project and not even close to major league ready coming out of college. The route he is taking is that of a HS pitcher not a 22 year old college pitcher.

4. More about time and work alluding to the fact that he was a big time project.

5. So he will 26 before he gets a chance at the rotation. Then he needs to adjust to ML pitching and learn to pitch at the ML level. Looking at 27-28 before he is member of the rotation.

All of this without any setbacks and that is not likely. I appreciate the optimism but the odds are against Brackman turning into anything more than a 5 year project for a reliever.

Yankees1962
05-29-10, 12:51 PM
1. Who cares how many options he has left? He isn't going to see ML time any time soon. His club options for 2011, 2012 and 2013 will need to be picked up just to give him a shot.

2. High A ball as a 24 year old college pitcher? He may be pitching better as of late but his numbers aren't great. Low BB is about the only good thing. Color me not impressed.

3. Again, who cares that he is getting his IP count up. The point was he was a project and not even close to major league ready coming out of college. The route he is taking is that of a HS pitcher not a 22 year old college pitcher.

4. More about time and work alluding to the fact that he was a big time project.

5. So he will 26 before he gets a chance at the rotation. Then he needs to adjust to ML pitching and learn to pitch at the ML level. Looking at 27-28 before he is member of the rotation.

All of this without any setbacks and that is not likely. I appreciate the optimism but the odds are against Brackman turning into anything more than a 5 year project for a reliever.
You might be right, but he's part of the Yankee organization so I'm hoping for the best.

primetime714
05-29-10, 03:29 PM
If Brackman puts things together he is going to move up the system quickly. As a project he is being handled more closely to a HS pitcher than a 24 year old college pitcher. However that's just because he has stuff he needed to work on and develop before he could move up. If he puts things together he'll fly up the system. Both Nardi and Mark Newman have said they think he could move up several levels in a year if he pitches well. And as a member of the 40 man roster he'll be with the Yankees in September this year. He may not pitch much, but being on the 40 man will give him opportunities to move up. Whether it is in relief or a starting role.

That said he still has some things he needs to work on now before he "puts things together" however progress is definitely being made. Right now he has been focusing almost solely on his control and the results have been there with his walks way down. Now he has to work to bring the heat and maintain control of it.

Jax Teller
05-29-10, 03:32 PM
Looks like Scranton's facing Strasburg today.

b_joseph
05-29-10, 06:59 PM
Another 2B for Laird.

Jax Teller
05-29-10, 07:01 PM
I give credit to the drunken offseason fight for Laird's performance. That's all he needed.

Jax Teller
05-29-10, 07:38 PM
Stoneburner

5IP 2H 3K

Corban Joseph 1-3, 2B

DRobertsonNYY
05-29-10, 07:52 PM
Rene Rivera just hit a HR off of Strasburg

Jax Teller
05-29-10, 08:03 PM
Stoneburner
7IP 2H 1BB 5K

HughesIsNasty
05-29-10, 09:23 PM
Montero with an RBI off Strasburg

Buzah!
05-29-10, 09:33 PM
It counted against Strasburg, but it was off a relief pitcher.

Buzah!
05-29-10, 09:33 PM
It counted against Strasburg, but it was off a relief pitcher.

Jax Teller
05-29-10, 09:49 PM
Laird 1-1 in the 2nd game of the double header.

Vendetta
05-29-10, 09:50 PM
Scranton seemed to hold their own against SS. 8 baserunners in 5 innings. Pretty good.

bmxstreetrider86
05-29-10, 10:44 PM
DSL yankees2 box

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?sid=milb&t=g_box&gid=2010_05_29_drsrok_dynrok_1

sjkqw
05-29-10, 11:42 PM
Ravel Santana had a nice game: 2-3; 2B, HR
And Moronta went 2-4

Ronald Morillo is reduced to bench duty.

Matsui55
05-29-10, 11:48 PM

Again, the rush to play ostrich is strong on this site.

Don't base your opinions on past seasons. Open your eyes and look at his numbers for 2010, especially after his first 2 starts. This is no longer a "project"- this is a guy who has suddenly found control of the strike zone and is slowly beginning to dominate in his starts.

This is not a guy who will be in Tampa much longer- as you note, he is 25, so the Yanks will challenge him soon in AA.

philleotardo
05-30-10, 03:17 PM
Corban Joseph, 4-4, 2 HR, BB, 5 RBI

Shaeffer Hall (TAM debut)

5 IP, 3 H, 0 ER, 1 BB, 6 K

yankee82093
05-30-10, 03:31 PM
I think everyone wants Brackman to suceed and make an impact in the show. The facts are we have a 24.5 year old project in A Ball taking up a spot on the 40 man roster. And history is not kind to players of that age who have not yet made an impact at the upper levels of the minors. I made this point several years ago when Alan Horne was dominating at AA at age 25. I told everyone back then that while I was rooting for Horne the reality is there was a much better chance that he would be flipping burgers in a few years than pitching for the Yankees. I wish Brackman luck, but the odds are against him.

This is true for basically every player drafted.

kan_t
05-30-10, 03:56 PM
Jose Ramirez 5 IP, 3 H, 1 ER, 3 BB, 6 SO

Overall 56 IP, 2.57 ERA, 47 H, 13 BB, 55 SO

I hope the Yankees promote him in July.

Jax Teller
05-30-10, 04:48 PM
Frankie P at fanhouse:

• Will the explosive, upper-90-mph velocity of Andrew Brackman ever re-emerge? The Yankees hope so, but at least Brackman is making adjustments in the interim. Pitching at 88-90 mph with the fastball, and reaching 92 once in his most recent outing, Brackman's often suspect command was vastly improved. He was dealing with three pitches, locating his curveball consistently and staying aggressive down in the zone with the fastball. This wasn't the swing-and-miss, overpowering Brackman we expected, but his mechanics look much more comfortable and natural now as opposed to when I saw him in Charleston in 2009. By all indications, his command will be far better this year, but we'll have to see if the raw stuff returns.

Vomit.

yankee82093
05-30-10, 04:53 PM
Frankie P at fanhouse:

Will the explosive, upper-90-mph velocity of Andrew Brackman ever re-emerge? The Yankees hope so, but at least Brackman is making adjustments in the interim. Pitching at 88-90 mph with the fastball, and reaching 92 once in his most recent outing, Brackman's often suspect command was vastly improved. He was dealing with three pitches, locating his curveball consistently and staying aggressive down in the zone with the fastball. This wasn't the swing-and-miss, overpowering Brackman we expected, but his mechanics look much more comfortable and natural now as opposed to when I saw him in Charleston in 2009. By all indications, his command will be far better this year, but we'll have to see if the raw stuff returns.

Vomit.

That article is not recent.

Buzah!
05-30-10, 04:57 PM
CoJo went off today. 4-5 with 2 bombs, 3RS and 5RBIs.

Jack Rye hit another bomb.

Jax Teller
05-30-10, 05:06 PM
That article is not recent.

Just noticed the date. Still, on the PP forums...Patrick said the word, while unconfirmed...is that he's high 80s-low 90s. Take that for whatever it's worth.

sjkqw
05-30-10, 06:25 PM
Matt Cusick pinch ran for Ed Nunez. I hope no injury involved there.

b_joseph
05-30-10, 07:36 PM
So far:

Romine 2 for 3 2B
Laird 2 for 3 HR and 2B

Yankees1962
05-30-10, 07:38 PM
Matt Cusick pinch ran for Ed Nunez. I hope no injury involved there.
HBP on the knee.

philleotardo
05-30-10, 09:03 PM
So far:

Romine 2 for 3 2B
Laird 2 for 3 HR and 2B50 RBI/ 49 games for Laird (1.191 OPS w/ RISP)

HughesIsNasty
05-30-10, 09:05 PM
Laird is going to be a nice trading chip / Stud super utility guy with a big bat for us.

Tom Finnigan
05-31-10, 12:51 AM
Anyone care to take a stab at an updated Top Ten Prospect list for the organization? I like Montero and Romine at 1 & 2. Beyond that I think it's a close call. Has Laird, Stoneburner, Joseph played their way onto the list? Should Brackman make the list?

Yankee Steve
05-31-10, 07:41 AM
I think Romine should be ranked 1 and Montero 2. Montero has disappointed at AAA thus far and Romine has exceeded expectations at Trenton. Romine is only one year older, and is far and away the better catcher. Shown some decent pop as well with 16 doubles and 3 homers.

Laird doesn't seem to get much press. He is having a monster year with 50 RBIs in about 50 games. 10 Homers and batting over .300, and is only 22 years old. If Laird is not in the top 10, something is wrong somewhere. We don't have much in the way of promising position players, outside of catcher and Laird stands out. Wonder if he can play the OF, as 3B and 1B, his primary positions are kind of taken up right now in the Bronx.

Yankee Steve
05-31-10, 08:11 AM
Incidentally, article in the Daily News this morning about Montero's struggles and the fact that his poor performance to this point have not shaken the Yankee's belief that he will hit, which of course makes sense. I am not saying that Montero will not ultimately wind up being a terrific major league hitter (see above), only that at this point, I don't see how you can put him ahead of Romine given what they are doing so far this year.

parkerstrong
05-31-10, 08:31 AM
http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/yankees/yankees_likely_will_make_c4N3HmHxrlnrvWgHP0tzlI/1

Yankees are actually impressed with Montero from what this article says. His defense is getting better! As a 20-year old, I am not going to bury him due to 2 bad months in AAA. I don't think he should be considered for a call-up anytime soon though and allow him to make adjustments in AAA.

Matsui55
05-31-10, 09:48 AM
I think Romine should be ranked 1 and Montero 2. Montero has disappointed at AAA thus far and Romine has exceeded expectations at Trenton. Romine is only one year older, and is far and away the better catcher. Shown some decent pop as well with 16 doubles and 3 homers.

Laird doesn't seem to get much press. He is having a monster year with 50 RBIs in about 50 games. 10 Homers and batting over .300, and is only 22 years old. If Laird is not in the top 10, something is wrong somewhere. We don't have much in the way of promising position players, outside of catcher and Laird stands out. Wonder if he can play the OF, as 3B and 1B, his primary positions are kind of taken up right now in the Bronx.

This ignores the fact that Montero has also dominated AA in a similar short window of action. AAA is full of guys who have at least made it to the bigs but aren't good enough to stick there- especially the pitchers. That makes a good adjustment point. Let's let Romine get to AAA before we start with the comparisons.

Laird does impress me- in spring 2009, when we had the "predict your sleepers" thread, I put him down as my hitter. While 2009 was relatively disappointing, this year is more what I was expecting for 2009.

Laird might be able to play the OF, as he has had enough arm for 3B. However, he is supposedly not really athletic, so OF might be a challenge in that respect.

Matsui55
05-31-10, 09:51 AM
Corban Joseph, 4-4, 2 HR, BB, 5 RBI

Shaeffer Hall (TAM debut)

5 IP, 3 H, 0 ER, 1 BB, 6 K

On the downside, Joseph also committed his 10th error- at 2B. I think it is becoming clear that he can really hit- but finding a defensive position where he isn't a liability is going to be the issue with him.

sjkqw
05-31-10, 10:03 AM
Anyone care to take a stab at an updated Top Ten Prospect list for the organization? I like Montero and Romine at 1 & 2. Beyond that I think it's a close call. Has Laird, Stoneburner, Joseph played their way onto the list? Should Brackman make the list?

1) Montero
2) Romine
3) Heathcott
4) Banuelos
5) Adams
6) Nova
7) McAllister
8) Phelps
9) Melancon
10) Joseph

Even this list is missing Stoneburner and Murphy. I admit they are very close. Brackman is a little furthur off, but I have happy about having him And I hope this list doesn't upset the McAllister fans. I have never been crazy about him and even though I know he is 22, his ceiling is probably too low. Melancon is so low due to the fact that he is a 25 year old reliever. Any comments?

TheHugeUnit2
05-31-10, 11:03 AM
Still got to have Montero one.

My personal list

1. Montero
2. Romine
3. Banuelos
4. Heathcott
5. Ramirez
6. Joseph(just like him, one of my favs)
7. Adams
8. McAllister
9. Phelps
10. Brackman(still holding out hope!) Should really have Stoneburner here though.

sjkqw
05-31-10, 11:45 AM

My personal list

1. Montero
2. Romine
3. Banuelos
4. Heathcott
5. Ramirez
7. Adams
8. McAllister
9. Phelps
10. Brackman(still holding out hope!) Should really have Stoneburner here though.

Nice list, but Ramirez is really high. I would wait another level. I have him at 16. Noesi, Warren, and Brackman barely ahead.

Question to anyone...Is Melancon dead for consideration in your prospect list?

primetime714
05-31-10, 11:47 AM

My personal list

1. Montero
2. Romine
3. Banuelos
4. Heathcott
5. Ramirez
7. Adams
8. McAllister
9. Phelps

Good list. I totally agree on 1-5. 6-10 changes a lot for me, but I'd go with:

6. Stoneburner- barring injury I think he is at worst a back-end reliever. If his secondary stuff develops some more he could also be a really good starter.
7. McAllister
8. Phelps
9. Adams
10. Joseph

Brackman, Laird, Murphy, and Sanchez could all easily find themselves cracking the top 10 later in the year. Nova is another possibility, but I need to see more from him before I'm convinced. In the top 5, 1 and 2 are pretty concrete but I could definitely see 3-5 getting mixed up at some point.

primetime714
05-31-10, 12:00 PM
Nice list, but Ramirez is really high. I would wait another level. I have him at 16. Noesi, Warren, and Brackman barely ahead.

Question to anyone...Is Melancon dead for consideration in your prospect list?

For me Melancon has fallen out of my top 10. I know its a bit short sighted, but I'm definitely down on him right now. He's fallen out of favor with Girardi given that he has not pitched well whenever given a shot at the majors. With an extended look perhaps he could turn it around, but he has do something soon to earn an extended look. I mean he can't even jump Boone Logan on the depth chart. And right now I'm not sure if he is ahead of Nova and Sanchez for bullpen callups. The team also moved Hirsh to the bullpen which seemingly is a clear sign they're not satisfied with their AAA bullpen options.

If Melancon can't crack a bullpen that is in complete shambles that tells you the team doesn't have a lot of faith in him right now. I hope he proves them wrong and he has the ability to do just that, but the chances get slimmer every day.

Honestly I'm almost expecting him to be traded. Get him out of the AL East and I'm sure he could help another team. With the Yankees though I see a limited future. Potential wise he's definitely behind Robertson in my book. I'm also trying to decide if I still think he has setup potential for the Yankees or is he just merely a middle relief type? On another team I think he definitely has setup potential, I think he has little to no chance at becoming a regular closer. Basically I think he could be a poor man's Scott Shields.

TheHugeUnit2
05-31-10, 12:27 PM
Is Melancon dead for consideration in your prospect list?

I'm a fan and wish he got a good shot, but not for me.

philleotardo
05-31-10, 12:44 PM
Quiet day today. Tampa off. Charleston cancelled.

Tom Finnigan
05-31-10, 01:15 PM

My personal list

1. Montero
2. Romine
3. Banuelos
4. Heathcott
5. Ramirez
7. Adams
8. McAllister
9. Phelps

If ever there was a time for a strong draft, this is the year - Besides the Catchers, no one stands out as a potential star. Perhaps there is someone below low A ball who will emerge this summer, but right now, it's looking like without trades, etc. we should not expect anyone to break the ML lineup for a long time (with the exception of Montero and Romine).

sjkqw
05-31-10, 01:44 PM
With Rey Nunez in the states, I think our system might have an exciting IF finally.

dpbddd99
06-01-10, 09:17 AM
Seattle designated Kanekoa Texeira for assignment. Makes sense for Yankees to get him back for $25K.

Bob420
06-01-10, 09:30 AM
Again, the rush to play ostrich is strong on this site.

Don't base your opinions on past seasons. Open your eyes and look at his numbers for 2010, especially after his first 2 starts. This is no longer a "project"- this is a guy who has suddenly found control of the strike zone and is slowly beginning to dominate in his starts.

This is not a guy who will be in Tampa much longer- as you note, he is 25, so the Yanks will challenge him soon in AA.

Of course I am looking at past seasons in my assessment of the pick. They gave him a 4 year ML deal. That was part of the problem. The fact that he has been pretty useless and is only starting to make progress now is the point.

I hope he puts it together and moves up the system quickly but it sounds like he is making progress with diminished stuff.

JavyVazquezIsSick
06-01-10, 11:17 AM
Seattle designated Kanekoa Texeira for assignment. Makes sense for Yankees to get him back for $25K.

Does it?

budstinks
06-01-10, 12:17 PM
Does it?

At least he managed to get some ML experience.

Didn't pitch great (5.30 era in Seattle's ballpark), but is still young, just turned 24 a few months ago.

I'd stick a guy like that back in AAA for $25k.

primetime714
06-01-10, 02:46 PM
At least he managed to get some ML experience.

Didn't pitch great (5.30 era in Seattle's ballpark), but is still young, just turned 24 a few months ago.

I'd stick a guy like that back in AAA for $25k.

Yea especially considering how terrible our ML bullpen is. Although I don't see Texeira coming to the rescue either way, so while added depth is nice he's far from the missing piece we're looking for. Still unless the M's offer something better in a trade I'd take a flyer on Texeira and see if he can be an option at some point later this season.

dpbddd99
06-01-10, 03:11 PM
Yea especially considering how terrible our ML bullpen is. Although I don't see Texeira coming to the rescue either way, so while added depth is nice he's far from the missing piece we're looking for. Still unless the M's offer something better in a trade I'd take a flyer on Texeira and see if he can be an option at some point later this season.
If we get the opportunity $25 K is a no brainer for a live arm.

ICEBERG18
06-01-10, 05:31 PM
Corban Joseph, 2B, Yankees (High-A Tampa)

It feels strange to classify any Yankees prospect as a sleeper, but Joseph might be just that. A fourth-round pick in 2008, Joseph is one of the best pure hitters in the system. By going 11-for-21 in his last five games, including yesterday’s game that included four hits and a pair of home runs, Joseph is up to .316/.367/.456 in the Florida State League, a tough place to put up big numbers. Joseph's bat is by far his best tool, as he has only gap power, average speed, and merely acceptable defense up the middle, but he's a good enough hitter that it should carry him to the big leagues.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=11021

Yankee Steve
06-01-10, 07:38 PM
Romine already 1 for 1 with an RBI. Now up over .330. The guy is the goods...

Jax Teller
06-01-10, 07:40 PM
Noesi 3IP 3K

Donnybaseball72
06-01-10, 09:56 PM
It's no longer May

Phinstripes
06-03-10, 02:49 PM
Brackman's last three games:

June 2: 5 IP/3 H/0 R/7 SO/1 BB
May 27: 6 IP/ 6 H/0 R/7 K/2 BB
May 22: 6 IP/3 H/1 R/ 5K/0 BB

Total: 17 IP, 12 hits, 1 run, 19 K, 3 BB.

Something positive.