PDA

View Full Version : The 2010 New York Jets Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Snatch Catch
01-25-10, 07:30 AM
Figured I'd start this to talk about needs, our wishlists, and maybe some draft chatter.

With the uncapped year the Jets won't be able to sign a FA without losing one first, I believe.

Additionally, to dabomb's point about drafting a pure pass rusher, I don't think they will draft one, and I don't think it's the right move.

Rex's defense is predicated on constant rotation of the blitzers and confusion due to a lack of consistency on where the pressure is coming from on the line. The ends don't always rush, so the best pure pass rusher in the draft wouldn't be all that appealing to the Jets, in my opinion.

I think that they definitely need to address the secondary though, perhaps getting a CB or S if Rhodes leaves. Also, Jenkins injury still looms large and a DT may be a need.

Also, a RT is probably going to be necessary in short order - there's no telling how long Woody is going to hold up for, and there isn't much depth on the OL.

Overall I'd take BPA of CB, DT, or OT, and S if Rhodes leaves. Then I'd make a move for a WR in the 3-5th round range.

dabomb2045
01-25-10, 08:06 AM
Figured I'd start this to talk about needs, our wishlists, and maybe some draft chatter.

With the uncapped year the Jets won't be able to sign a FA without losing one first, I believe.

Additionally, to dabomb's point about drafting a pure pass rusher, I don't think they will draft one, and I don't think it's the right move.

Rex's defense is predicated on constant rotation of the blitzers and confusion due to a lack of consistency on where the pressure is coming from on the line. The ends don't always rush, so the best pure pass rusher in the draft wouldn't be all that appealing to the Jets, in my opinion.

I think that they definitely need to address the secondary though, perhaps getting a CB or S if Rhodes leaves. Also, Jenkins injury still looms large and a DT may be a need.

Also, a RT is probably going to be necessary in short order - there's no telling how long Woody is going to hold up for, and there isn't much depth on the OL.

Overall I'd take BPA of CB, DT, or OT, and S if Rhodes leaves. Then I'd make a move for a WR in the 3-5th round range.

You cant stop the top QB's by just blitzing them all day. They are too good for that....they will adjust and you will get hit w/big plays against you. It needs to be a mixture of blitzes as well as pressure from your D-line and LB'ers.

I go back to the Giants-Pats SB two years ago. The Giants won that game because they did something no other team could do against the Pats that year....generate a consistent pass rush w/their front four. This allowed them to pressure the QB while being able to drop extra guys back into coverage....this also made their blitzes that more effective. If the Giants didnt get a consistent rush from their D-line, and needed to blitz all day....Brady would have picked them apart. Or if you want to compare them to other 3-4 defenses....they dont have a bigtime pass rushing LB'er. Like the 2008 Steelers had in Harrison and Woodley for example. That Steelers team didnt have to blitz all the time because they were capable of getting pressure w/o it....that made them that much more dangerous.

To beat a guy like Manning....you need to be able to get a pass rush w/o blitzing. The Jets cant do it yet. If you dont get that dynamic pass rusher or two, the Jets will keep running into the same problems they did yesterday when they face the upper echelon QB's and offensive teams.

Snatch Catch
01-25-10, 09:50 AM
I definitely agree they need a pash rusher, but they can't/won't draft a traditional pass-rushing DE unless they're convinced he can drop into coverage and/or play LB, too - which the top-of-the-draft DEs aren't drafted for.

I guess I'm agreeing with you on the need to pressure the QB, I just don't think they're going round 1 to get it because the round 1 pass-rushers are mostly in the traditional, rush every play mold.

DaSh 1s
01-25-10, 10:19 AM
Holding the MVP and the Colts down to 10 points (which would have been their season lowest besides Week 17 when they rested their starters) wasn't that comical, I guess.

Snatch Catch
01-25-10, 10:29 AM
Holding the MVP and the Colts down to 10 points (which would have been their season lowest besides Week 17 when they rested their starters) wasn't that comical, I guess.

Mark19
01-25-10, 10:39 AM
I wonder what they have in mind for Braylon -- his dropsies didn't go away but he can still produce at an above-average level.

Would be helpful if they could bring in someone who can haul in those overthrown passes young QBs are prone to do

Snatch Catch
01-25-10, 11:08 AM
I'd bet they sign him. He does two things very well that are of extreme importance to this offense: stretch the field and block.

mentalgidget
01-25-10, 11:18 AM
The Jets are going to be very hamstrung with FA ruk\les this offseason. Fininshing in the top 4 means that they can't "negotiate and sign any unrestricted free agent to a player contract except for players who acquired their status by being cut or were on the final four team when their contract expired."

this is a good article on FA rules:
http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d808736ba&template=with-video&confirm=true

NYYRules#1
01-25-10, 11:51 AM
The Jets are going to be very hamstrung with FA ruk\les this offseason. Fininshing in the top 4 means that they can't "negotiate and sign any unrestricted free agent to a player contract except for players who acquired their status by being cut or were on the final four team when their contract expired."

this is a good article on FA rules:
http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d808736ba&template=with-video&confirm=true

God I hate that rule.

The draft will be pivitol for us this year. And, of course, we have to re-sign Braylon (especially considering this rule that would prevent us from getting another WR out on the market).

Snatch Catch
01-25-10, 12:25 PM
The more I think about it, the more I'd like to see an underrated RB taken in the 3rd-4th round area. Jones' demise could come fast an furious next year.

cyhughes22
01-25-10, 05:04 PM
The more I think about it, the more I'd like to see an underrated RB taken in the 3rd-4th round area. Jones' demise could come fast an furious next year.

I think it already has to be honest. The poor guy did nothing in the playoffs. Now maybe it was just fatigue or whatever but the fact is that he seemed to run out of gas. Shonn Greene should get the bulk of the carries next year and another big physical back should be drafted late to give him a breather every once in a while. I really believe that Greene is going to be a stud for this team because he's got excellent vision and all the physical tools you want in a back. The thing I love the most about him is that he almost never loses yardage. There are times when he doesn't get much but he always seems to get you something positive on the ground which is invaluable. Hopefully Leon is back and healthy and that gives us a change of pace guy too. I hear a lot of people saying we're not guaranteed to get back and that's certainly true but with a team this young with so much room to improve I have a hard time believing we're far away from becoming and elite team like the Colts or Eagles who are in it every year.

cyhughes22
01-25-10, 05:05 PM
Ok here's a question: If the Jets weren't screwed by the ridiculous free agent signing rules would anyone here be interested in Merriman if he doesn't return to the Chargers? I think he could run wild in a Rex Ryan defense and be a real nightmare for the opposing QB.

Snatch Catch
01-25-10, 06:16 PM
No, I don't think he has the athleticism to drop back into zone anymore.

Snatch Catch
01-26-10, 10:52 AM
http://www.nfldraftdog.com/Mock-Drafts/2010-Mock-Draft-Page-2.html

This has the Jets stumbling upon Carlos Dunlap, which would be ridiculous.

CFP, what do you think about Mays being converted to an OLB in the Jets scheme where he's be counted on to both cover and rush the passer? Seems like he's "taylor-made" to play that spot in a defense like Ryan's.

Oh, and I know it's never going to happen, but I just want to say that I don't know that I've ever wanted a player in the draft more than I want to see Eric Berry in Rex's defense. That's Ed Reed, Jr. if he was on the Jets. Him and Revis together would be just ridiculous.

CanoForPresident
01-26-10, 12:33 PM
http://www.nfldraftdog.com/Mock-Drafts/2010-Mock-Draft-Page-2.html

This has the Jets stumbling upon Carlos Dunlap, which would be ridiculous.

CFP, what do you think about Mays being converted to an OLB in the Jets scheme where he's be counted on to both cover and rush the passer? Seems like he's "taylor-made" to play that spot in a defense like Ryan's.

Oh, and I know it's never going to happen, but I just want to say that I don't know that I've ever wanted a player in the draft more than I want to see Eric Berry in Rex's defense. That's Ed Reed, Jr. if he was on the Jets. Him and Revis together would be just ridiculous.

It's an interesting idea, I brought it up in the Giants thread as a hypothetical not too long ago. I always felt like he didn't get showcased well in Pete Carroll's D (PC would literally play him 20-25 yards off the LOS.) With his speed, he'd definitely fit in well as an OLB in the aggressive scheme that Rex runs.

The only thing I'd worry about a little bit is his tackling - he doesn't wrap up at all, but that is something that can be taught.

And Eric Berry in your D would be unfair. Teams would quit throwing the ball.

PlsDontTearDownY.S.
01-26-10, 03:15 PM
How about Richard Seymour? He's not that old, he's on the Raiders, and I would imagine he'd love a chance to get at Belichick twice a year for marooning him out there in Oakland. Seymour, Jenkins, Ellis...that's pretty damn good for your 3-4 defense, with Pouha and Greene in reserve.

As far as Kerry Rhodes, bye bye. He showed what he's all about when he celebrated himself instead of diving for the ball after he stripped Rivers. There's our free agent loss right there.

cyhughes22
01-26-10, 06:11 PM
How about Richard Seymour? He's not that old, he's on the Raiders, and I would imagine he'd love a chance to get at Belichick twice a year for marooning him out there in Oakland. Seymour, Jenkins, Ellis...that's pretty damn good for your 3-4 defense, with Pouha and Greene in reserve.

As far as Kerry Rhodes, bye bye. He showed what he's all about when he celebrated himself instead of diving for the ball after he stripped Rivers. There's our free agent loss right there.

He's still under contract and he definitely has trade value. They could very easily trade him for an earlier draft pick and a shot to get Mays or Berry. Of course now that Holmgren is running things in Cleveland Eric Mangini won't be able to give things away for him but he's got to have a pretty significant value to someone with his physical tools. I don't think there are any free agents out there worth just cutting him for. If they could somehow trade up and get Berry and Mays I think I might have an orgasm.

PinstripePride
01-26-10, 07:29 PM
If I'm understanding that top 4 team FA rule thing, we can't sign anyone unless they were cut by another team or on our team with an expired contract?

And you guys think we're gonna pay TJ the bonus and bring him back?

dabomb2045
01-26-10, 07:36 PM
If I'm understanding that top 4 team FA rule thing, we can't sin anyone unless they were cut by another team or on our team with an expired contract?

And you guys think we're gonna pay TJ the bonus and bring him back?

Yeah I think we should. Lets remember about Leon....his injury was quite serious. Who knows how ready he will be when the season starts---you might have to ease him back into things.

I think Greene will see much more time next season (which is a good thing cuz I think the amount of carries is beginning to wear Jones down...esp late in the season) but I still want Jones here for another year. Greene/Jones/Leon is a pretty sick RB trio.

PinstripePride
01-26-10, 07:45 PM
That's fair. Maybe give him the bulk of the carries in the beginning of the season and then move more workload to Leon and Greene as the season progresses.

dabomb2045
01-26-10, 07:54 PM
That's fair. Maybe give him the bulk of the carries in the beginning of the season and then move more workload to Leon and Greene as the season progresses.

Looking at this year's stats.....Jones had 331 carries, Greene 108, Washington 72. Maybe next season you take about 125 carries away from Jones---give Greene say 100 of them and Washington 25.

That would leave it at Jones 216, Greene 208, Washington 97. I think something like this would be perfect. I like the 3-headed monster in 2010. Every one of these guys bring different attributes to the table---it reminds me alot of the Earth/Wind/Fire backfield the Giants had in 07-08 with Jacobs, Ward and Bradshaw.

ace
01-27-10, 03:19 PM
With all the talk about the Jets' need for a pass rusher...what happened to Vernon Golston?

mentalgidget
01-27-10, 03:58 PM
With all the talk about the Jets' need for a pass rusher...what happened to Vernon Golston?
he found out that bench press wasn't a stat used by the NFL

PinstripePride
01-27-10, 04:06 PM

A combo of things, lead by the fact that he has seemingly no heart or fire. By all accounts the guy is a puppy playing in a league of bears. He's overmatched because he can't use his strength to overpower guys like he did in college. His one-armed take-downs don't work in the NFL, his bullrushing OLinemen onto their ass doesn't work in the NFL, etc. Add to that that he looks out of place as a LB floating around in space and you've got the recipe for a bust. I had high hopes that Rex could turn this guy around, but i think it's time to just cut our losses.

cyhughes22
01-28-10, 01:59 AM
A combo of things, lead by the fact that he has seemingly no heart or fire. By all accounts the guy is a puppy playing in a league of bears. He's overmatched because he can't use his strength to overpower guys like he did in college. His one-armed take-downs don't work in the NFL, his bullrushing OLinemen onto their ass doesn't work in the NFL, etc. Add to that that he looks out of place as a LB floating around in space and you've got the recipe for a bust. I had high hopes that Rex could turn this guy around, but i think it's time to just cut our losses.

This to me is the biggest part. This is a guy who when he was asked if he was happy playing special teams respond that he was fine with it. That is absolutely disgusting to me. As a high first round pick you've got to have some sort of freaking pride but apparently he doesn't. He is the Pavano of the Jets except that he's technically not injured but offers about the same production.

Snatch Catch
01-28-10, 09:14 AM
I don't know how, but I'd love to see the Jets somehow acquire additional draftpicks for April.

PinstripePride
01-28-10, 10:20 AM
I don't know how, but I'd love to see the Jets somehow acquire additional draftpicks for April.

Rhodes.

NYYRules#1
01-28-10, 01:04 PM
ESPN reporting that Sanchez is visiting the notorious Dr. James Andrews about his knee.

Let's hope this turns out to be one of those Joba-style "we're making damn sure there's nothing seriously wrong with our promising young star" visits.

cyhughes22
01-28-10, 01:56 PM
ESPN reporting that Sanchez is visiting the notorious Dr. James Andrews about his knee.

Let's hope this turns out to be one of those Joba-style "we're making damn sure there's nothing seriously wrong with our promising young star" visits.

I have a hard time believing it's anything but that considering how well he played. I didn't think he had any trouble moving although there was one play in the first half where I thought he looked like he came up limping a bit but I doubt it's anything serious. That guy is the key to us having any sort of success next season so I think they're just being smart with him.

CallOfTheCrow
01-28-10, 06:31 PM
http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/jets/2010/01/rhodes-they-want-me-back.html

Rhodes: "They want me back."

cyhughes22
01-28-10, 07:23 PM
http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/jets/2010/01/rhodes-they-want-me-back.html

Rhodes: "They want me back."

Damn.

Snatch Catch
01-28-10, 07:33 PM
Lets wait to see if this is a Yankees/Damon-they-want-me-back situation.

CallOfTheCrow
01-28-10, 07:34 PM
Yeah I still think he's getting dealt...hopefully for draft picks.

CallOfTheCrow
01-30-10, 04:46 PM
Per Cimini:

Rundown of Tannenbaum's "State of the Union" address:

* Thomas Jones: The two sides are in different ballparks. You have to figure that Jones wants a contract extension, coming off a career year. But it sounds like the Jets don't want to dole out that $3 million signing bonus. I'd say it's 50-50 that Jones returns.

* Vernon Gholston: Tannenbaum says they've decided to keep him. I almost fell out of my chair when he said there's no objective data that suggests Gholston isn't passionate about football. Throw out the data, Mike, just trust your eyes and ears.

* Kerry Rhodes: Bizarre situation. The Jets now say they want him back, and they say there are no contractual issues (i.e. a proposed pay cut) in the way. So why does Rhodes need to have another sitdown with Rex Ryan? I think the Jets have presented a set of ground rules to Rhodes, demanding total commitment, and they're waiting on his response. It still wouldn't shock me if they trade him.

* Braylon Edwards: He'll get the first- and third-round tender. Sounds like they really want him back. We'll take them at their word.

* Kellen Clemens: He'll get a second-round tender (his draft round), but that doesn't mean he's back. Got the impression that Tannenbaum wants to add a backup with more experience.

* Leon Washington: He'll get a tender, probably a second- or first-round tender. It sounds like he's ahead in his rehab schedule, but it might be a reach to say he's going to be 100% by next season.

* Alan Faneca: The Jets want to keep the OL together, but they may try to come after some of Faneca's $7.5 million in salary.

dabomb2045
01-30-10, 05:22 PM
Per Cimini:

Rundown of Tannenbaum's "State of the Union" address:

* Thomas Jones: The two sides are in different ballparks. You have to figure that Jones wants a contract extension, coming off a career year. But it sounds like the Jets don't want to dole out that $3 million signing bonus. I'd say it's 50-50 that Jones returns.

* Vernon Gholston: Tannenbaum says they've decided to keep him. I almost fell out of my chair when he said there's no objective data that suggests Gholston isn't passionate about football. Throw out the data, Mike, just trust your eyes and ears.

* Kerry Rhodes: Bizarre situation. The Jets now say they want him back, and they say there are no contractual issues (i.e. a proposed pay cut) in the way. So why does Rhodes need to have another sitdown with Rex Ryan? I think the Jets have presented a set of ground rules to Rhodes, demanding total commitment, and they're waiting on his response. It still wouldn't shock me if they trade him.

* Braylon Edwards: He'll get the first- and third-round tender. Sounds like they really want him back. We'll take them at their word.

* Kellen Clemens: He'll get a second-round tender (his draft round), but that doesn't mean he's back. Got the impression that Tannenbaum wants to add a backup with more experience.

* Leon Washington: He'll get a tender, probably a second- or first-round tender. It sounds like he's ahead in his rehab schedule, but it might be a reach to say he's going to be 100% by next season.

* Alan Faneca: The Jets want to keep the OL together, but they may try to come after some of Faneca's $7.5 million in salary.

I'll go on record saying that not bringing back Jones would be a huge mistake. I think going into 2010 with TJ/Greene as the lead backs, with Leon being eased back into things getting maybe 5-10 carries a game, catching passes out of the backfield and returning kicks/punts is the way to go. Jones is still quite good....just prob isnt capable of carrying the ball 300+ times a year anymore w/o wearing down late in the year (such as what happened this year). But there is no reason why you cant have a three RB tandem. The Giants did it with Jacobs/Ward/Bradshaw for 2 years and it worked well for them.

I also feel like I'm one of the few that still likes Rhodes. Yes he had a mostly off season in 09, but after Ryan "benched" him and called him out....he was a different player after that...he looked like the Rhodes we knew. Sometimes players just get complacent and need a kick in the ass--it seemed to have worked for Rhodes. He's still a good player and I dont wanna give up on him unless I get some VERY high picks in a trade.

As for Gholston....not cutting him is simply them not wanting to admit they made a mistake and blew that pick (at least yet). But its obvious the guy is a bust.

Edwards....bringing him back is the right decision. Hopefully he can work on the drops. But we see what he can do when he holds on to the ball. He's tall, physical and the only receiver on the Jets that can stretch the field. As Sanchez continues to get better, I think you'll see Braylon really take off.

Snatch Catch
01-30-10, 10:47 PM
:lol: Rex was just interviewed ringside at the Strikeforce event in Miami tonight and the whole place started booing him.

At the very end he says "One more thing - I just want to tell all the fans here in Miami that we're coming to beat you twice next year," and then starts laughing.

RYMASTER or Ryan_Yankees
01-30-10, 10:49 PM
<3 Rex

RYMASTER or Ryan_Yankees
01-31-10, 09:31 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d8161a38b&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

SUNRISE, Fla. -- New York Jets coach Rex Ryan apologized Sunday for making an obscene gesture at a mixed martial arts event.

Greg Trott / Associated Press
Jets coach Rex Ryan issued an apology Sunday for making an obscene gesture at an event the previous night.

Ryan was booed Saturday night while doing a television interview at the MMA event at Bank Atlantic Center, home to the NHL's Florida Panthers. Ryan was smiling when a cell-phone camera captured him making the gesture.

:lol:

BillBuckner
02-01-10, 11:26 AM
<3 Rex

Seconded.

PlsDontTearDownY.S.
02-01-10, 03:12 PM
LMAO! Rex gave the finger to fish fans. That's awesome.

Snatch Catch
02-01-10, 03:32 PM
I read somewhere yesterday that it was at one fan in particular who was screaming at him from very close range.

Snatch Catch
02-01-10, 09:26 PM
I'm not sure if anybody else heard it, but Tanny was on with Michael Kay last Friday and said that Jenkins is blowing away the timetable for return. I have no idea if it was hyperbole, but he was totally serious when he said if there was a game in two weeks Jenkins could probably play.

PlsDontTearDownY.S.
02-02-10, 04:08 PM
I'm not sure if anybody else heard it, but Tanny was on with Michael Kay last Friday and said that Jenkins is blowing away the timetable for return. I have no idea if it was hyperbole, but he was totally serious when he said if there was a game in two weeks Jenkins could probably play.

That's awesome. I know the Jet D was statistically better against the run after he went down, but still. I don't think the Colts would have had the same success running the ball in the 2nd half if big #77 was in the game. Their success in the run game really got the Jets off balance and facilitated Manning's heroics.

It looks now like the Jets have adequate backups in Pouha and Green to spell Jenkins and keep him fresh for the stretch run next season.

Melan-cynic
02-02-10, 04:17 PM
I'm not sure if anybody else heard it, but Tanny was on with Michael Kay last Friday and said that Jenkins is blowing away the timetable for return. I have no idea if it was hyperbole, but he was totally serious when he said if there was a game in two weeks Jenkins could probably play.If that's legit, good news.

DaSh 1s
02-02-10, 04:25 PM
http://football.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/15706/20100201/asomugha_talks_about_playing_for_jets/

Melan-cynic
02-02-10, 04:27 PM
http://football.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/15706/20100201/asomugha_talks_about_playing_for_jets/Except it's already brought on discussions of tampering charges in part because of what he said about Rex as well as Darrelle's response.

CallOfTheCrow
02-02-10, 06:54 PM
Per Cimini....Sanchez officially opting for surgery on his left knee.

Yankeesfan924
02-04-10, 03:16 PM
I haven't really been paying much attention to draft coverage yet, but what about the corner Heyden, from UF?

mentalgidget
02-04-10, 03:41 PM
I haven't really been paying much attention to draft coverage yet, but what about the corner Heyden, from UF?
According to Kiper: (i know, i know) top corner in the draft, off the board in the 5-10 range

ETA: Most mocks have him going at #7 to CLE. I've seen him fall to JAX at #10 in one

DaSh 1s
02-05-10, 12:41 PM
http://kissingsuzykolber.uproxx.com/2010/02/the-saints-get-a-surprise-visitor.html

b_joseph
02-05-10, 02:22 PM
Sanchez...Francesa

Snatch Catch
02-05-10, 02:25 PM
Leon told Michael Kay on Wednesday that he's ahead of schedule and that he should recover completely. He said that it was simply a break in his leg and there was no ankle of knee damage.

He also said he's spoken with Tanny and while you can never say so until he signs his name on a contract, both sides want to get something worked out and he's pretty sure he's coming back.

CallOfTheCrow
02-06-10, 04:19 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/rumors/post/Packers-Rams-Jets-want-CFL-sack-leader-?urn=nfl,217347

Jets looking at CFL sack leader

montrealer
02-07-10, 06:43 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/rumors/post/Packers-Rams-Jets-want-CFL-sack-leader-?urn=nfl,217347

Jets looking at CFL sack leader
Actually they have already signed to Montreal players from last years Grey Champions........

CallOfTheCrow
02-16-10, 06:47 PM
Jets signed Mark Carrier to be the D-Line coach.

Melan-cynic
02-16-10, 08:21 PM
Yeah, bizarro.

Snatch Catch
02-18-10, 09:11 AM
Kiper's latest Mock has them taking Devin McCourty. Berry, berry interesting.

CallOfTheCrow
02-18-10, 01:36 PM
I saw one on scout.com a month ago by Chris Steuber. He has the Jets picking Dan Williams in the 1st, Dexter McCluster in the 2nd.

Melan-cynic
02-18-10, 03:35 PM
I like McCluster's talent a lot but his size would really worry me at the next level.

CallOfTheCrow
02-20-10, 01:03 PM
Found this on scout.com

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_cwxCLPpeiPY/S2IUy_t1qiI/AAAAAAAAACA/gGFkvdbDpUg/s1600-h/CB_Rating.jpg

Melan-cynic
02-20-10, 02:58 PM
:drool:

just-blaze
02-22-10, 01:26 AM
What's everybody think of signing TO?

Snatch Catch
02-22-10, 12:01 PM
What's everybody think of signing TO?:drool:

Change the blue stuff to a yellowish/green.

PinstripePride
02-22-10, 05:44 PM
What's everybody think of signing TO?

No. That man ruins teams, not the opposite. We have such a great chemistry and team spirit going right now, that the addition of this cancer would do nothing be detract. Pass x 1,000.

just-blaze
02-22-10, 07:42 PM
No. That man ruins teams, not the opposite. We have such a great chemistry and team spirit going right now, that the addition of this cancer would do nothing be detract. Pass x 1,000.

I think that the chemistry thing is overrated. Braylon was a supposed cancer too.
Even if it were true and it ruined the Jets' chemistry, there is always the cut thing.

Regardless, I don't think he would accept a contract from us unless it was an overpay due to the fact that we are a run oriented team with 3 other good recievers. And he is definitely not worth an overpay.

CallOfTheCrow
02-22-10, 08:27 PM
Per Cimini, Travis LaBoy is meeting with Jets officials.

PinstripePride
02-22-10, 10:45 PM
I think that the chemistry thing is overrated. Braylon was a supposed cancer too.
Even if it were true and it ruined the Jets' chemistry, there is always the cut thing.

Give Braylon time, it could still blow up. And I think any player would be a malcontent thrown into that mess in Cleveland. But if TO wasn't an issue in the first year, he would be sooner or later. It's just a matter of time with that douche.

RYMASTER or Ryan_Yankees
02-22-10, 11:59 PM
I don't see TO coming to such a heavy run first offense, and I'm ok with that.

CallOfTheCrow
02-23-10, 09:44 PM
Jets signed Nick Folk.

Snatch Catch
02-23-10, 09:47 PM
I eagerly await the FOLK HERO backpage after a GWFG next year.

CallOfTheCrow
02-27-10, 09:37 PM
Per Cimini:

Rex Ryan showed up for his scheduled session with the media today at the scouting combined and delivered a 30-minute stand-up routine. He joked about his recent wardrobe malfunction at a hockey game ("I'm working on those abs") and addressed his unfortunate middle-finger incident in Miami. We'll get to that stuff a little later. For now, let's hit the football nuts-and-bolts.

Highlights from Rex:

1. VERNON GHOLSTON: He blamed Gholston's disappointing season on himself. Well, the coaches, really. He said the coaches did a poor job of using the former No. 1 pick.

“That’s still a work in progress but I will say this: When we are going back
and looking at our cut ups and things like that, I think this young man deserves
a better chance than we are giving him," Ryan said. "We need to give him more playing time."

A noble gesture by Ryan, blaming himself, but let's be honest: This was just another way of talking around the truth, and the truth is that Gholston can't play. Ryan agreed that 2010 is a make-or-break year for Gholston.

2. THANKS FOR THE MEMORIES: Like GM MIke Tannenbaum the day before, Ryan offered what amounted to a eulogy for Thomas Jones, who is expected to be released.

"He is a great player, (but) there are tough decisions that our organization is going to be faced with," Ryan said. "So we have some time but clearly Thomas is an outstanding football player.”

If the Jets were thinking of keeping him, he would've said so.

3. FUTURE JETS?: Citing the tampering rules, Ryan refused to take questions on Raiders CB Nnamdi Asoughma and Patriots LB Adalius Thomas, a former Raven. There's been a lot of Nnamdi-to-the-Jets buzz, and there's speculation that Thomas, an old Ryan favorite from Baltimore, will be released. If that happens, the Jets will be on him in a New York minute. Ryan loves Thomas, who also is close with Bart Scott. If they were to sign Thomas, you have to wonder how that would impact Bryan Thomas, who is due to make $3 million in salary.

4. THE SANCHISE: Ryan talked about how Mark Sanchez's late-season improvement will impact the offensive philosophy in 2010.

"We will still have a belief in the ground-and-pound system, but we may throw the ball a little more than we did last year," he said.

5. MORE SANCHISE: Ryan said Sanchez, recovering from knee surgery, is staying mentally on top of things.

"The thing I am really proud of with Mark right now, he is sitting in with our offensive coaches going over all the cut ups and everything right now," he said. "He can’t work out with his rehabbing from his knee operation and things like that but he is in there and trying to find a way to get better. This really is his offense. He is trying to learn the defenses, the communication, whatever it is. I really think he is going to have a huge year for us this year.”

6. THE MONOLOGUE: This is how Ryan opened his session. Vintage Ryan.

“I don’t even know what to say, gosh, it’s been a while since I get to talk about my football team, brag about my football team if you will. I appreciate everybody’s interest in making sure that I was still in the papers and all those other things - the video. Hey, I am working on those abs a little bit I think (laughter).

"The problem that happened with that wardrobe… I was at the hockey game - and
first off all I would like to say USA, let’s go take care of business, really proud of the way they are playing - but what happened, I thought I had the fighting strap attached to the t-shirt. Apparently I didn’t. Big mistake. But I appreciate everybody having such a special interest in that."

7. SEXY REXY: A little later, he talked again about his ... um eventful offseason.

"I am watching ESPN and I’m like, ‘Ooooh! That is not a real good shot,'" he said, referring to his exposed belly during a shirt change at a Carolina Hurricanes game -- prompted by Hurricane cheerleaders. "I mean, don’t get me wrong, I get hit on all the time by women. But, nah, it is kind of funny."

8. FLIPPING THE BIRD: And, finally, on his obscene gesture to an unruly fan at an MMA bout in Miami.

“I mean, I got to be, regardless of the circumstances, I made a mistake and I
realized that," he said. "I have made a bunch of mistakes in my life. There is no question
about it. Just add that to a big list. But I’ve got to, I have to take responsibility for my own actions and I have to make sure I am doing the right things and I am trying to do the right things and avoiding making mistakes like that. I will learn from it, there is no doubt. I am no Boy Scout and I don’t pretend to be. But I am certainly trying to mature a little bit more.”

RYMASTER or Ryan_Yankees
02-27-10, 10:25 PM
1) Asomugha? :ga-ga:
2) Rex Ryan :lol:

PinstripePride
02-28-10, 10:04 AM
Not surprising, but Jones is pretty much gone:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4952941

Can someone explain to me why we wouldn't trade him instead of just outright releasing him and getting nothing?

philleotardo
02-28-10, 11:52 AM
Not surprising, but Jones is pretty much gone:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4952941

Can someone explain to me why we wouldn't trade him instead of just outright releasing him and getting nothing?He was due a $3M roster bonus on March 9th. Any potential trade partner would have had to pay that as well.

Snatch Catch
02-28-10, 12:33 PM
Asomugha's contract is ridiculous. He didn't want to stay in Oakland before he signed it, and to get him to stay they gave him terms that are almost unbelievable. Although I'd LOVE to see it, it would be very difficult, if not impossible, for another team to take on the contract.

Brooklyn Yankee Fan
02-28-10, 02:36 PM
Jets signed Nick Folk.

I hope it was just an insurance signing.

Feely want's to return, hopefully Tannenbaum can work out a deal for him. He is more then just a kicker to this team.

cyhughes22
02-28-10, 04:41 PM
Asomugha's contract is ridiculous. He didn't want to stay in Oakland before he signed it, and to get him to stay they gave him terms that are almost unbelievable. Although I'd LOVE to see it, it would be very difficult, if not impossible, for another team to take on the contract.

It's an uncapped year and if he wants to be a part of this team he can restructure it the way Pennington and Manning have in the past to help their teams. If the Raiders are willing to let us have him for anything less than an arm and a leg I don't think you can pass it up. You're talking about the chance to make it virtually impossible for teams to pass against an already top ranked defense. Can you imagine what Rex could do to teams knowing that both sides of the field are basically locked down? The opposing QB would have to be given a bible before the start of every game.

Snatch Catch
02-28-10, 04:55 PM
It's an uncapped year and if he wants to be a part of this team he can restructure it the way Pennington and Manning have in the past to help their teams. If the Raiders are willing to let us have him for anything less than an arm and a leg I don't think you can pass it up.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/blog?name=schefter_adam&id=4938666&action=upsell&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fnfl%2fblog%3fname%3dschefter_adam%26id%3d4938666

The contract is totally whacked out, to the point that what a team would be willing to give up to acquire it would be almost nothing in comparison to what the Raiders are looking for.

Asomugha is scheduled to make a 100 percent guaranteed $16.59 million for the coming 2010 season.

As if that contract weren't problematic enough in a difficult economy, Asomugha has an $8 million roster bonus that is due on the first day of the league year -- next Friday -- meaning that a trade would have to be agreed to in the next 10 days and consummated before the Raiders paid that bonus. On top of that, Asomugha also has a $7.83 million option bonus due on March 19.

And what makes a potential trade for Oakland's Pro Bowl cornerback even more difficult is that, after his contract expires following the 2011 season, Asomugha's team is forbidden from franchising him -- or it must pay him the average of the top five quarterback salaries, which this year would be $16.4 million.

But in the coming months, new blockbuster deals are expected for New Orleans Saints quarterback Drew Brees, Indianapolis Colts quarterback Peyton Manning and New England Patriots quarterback Tom Brady; this means the price to keep Asomugha beyond 2011 will be astronomical.

You're talking about the chance to make it virtually impossible for teams to pass against an already top ranked defense. Can you imagine what Rex could do to teams knowing that both sides of the field are basically locked down? The opposing QB would have to be given a bible before the start of every game.

I'm not arguing any of this. I'd pass out if the two of them anchored the secondary.

Melan-cynic
02-28-10, 04:58 PM
Exactly. Its an
uncapped year so it will be what the Jets have to give up, not so much his contract which will make it a near impossibility BC Oakland will want Harris and rightfully so.

cyhughes22
02-28-10, 07:52 PM
http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/blog?name=schefter_adam&id=4938666&action=upsell&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fnfl%2fblog%3fname%3dschefter_adam%26id%3d4938666

The contract is totally whacked out, to the point that what a team would be willing to give up to acquire it would be almost nothing in comparison to what the Raiders are looking for.

I'm not arguing any of this. I'd pass out if the two of them anchored the secondary.

Wow I didn't realize it was that bad. I definitely know that you aren't against the idea of having him, I just feel like there's a chance it could still be done. I still feel like he'd restructure it to play for a good team with his friend Revis but who knows. If anyone in football can afford it though it's Woody Johnson. You take a shot next year and worry later as long as you don't have to give up an important piece to make it happen.

Snatch Catch
02-28-10, 08:41 PM
Wow I didn't realize it was that bad. I definitely know that you aren't against the idea of having him, I just feel like there's a chance it could still be done. I still feel like he'd restructure it to play for a good team with his friend Revis but who knows. If anyone in football can afford it though it's Woody Johnson. You take a shot next year and worry later as long as you don't have to give up an important piece to make it happen.

I hope you're right.

We'll know if anything is going down by this Friday.

PlsDontTearDownY.S.
03-01-10, 02:38 PM
Exactly. Its an
uncapped year so it will be what the Jets have to give up, not so much his contract which will make it a near impossibility BC Oakland will want Harris and rightfully so.

I guess Kerry Rhodes didn't raise his stock enough with his good play late in the year...I'd never give them Harris, he's a rock solid tackling machine

Melan-cynic
03-01-10, 02:47 PM
Don't worry, Harris isn't going anywhere.

Brooklyn Yankee Fan
03-01-10, 04:09 PM
Jets confirm Jones pink slip

By Rich Cimini

This is the way it goes now in the NFL. You rush for 3,800 yards in three seasons, score 31 TDs, never miss a game, capture an AFC rushing title, make a Pro Bowl, get voted "most inspirational teammate" twice by your peers ... and get a pink slip with a two-paragraph statement from your bosses, thanking you for all your efforts.

The Jets released this statement this afternoon, confirmed the release of RB Thomas Jones. It includes quotes from GM Mike Tannenbaum and coach Rex Ryan. They provide no insight into what went into the decision.

Tannenbaum: “We have informed Thomas Jones and his representatives that we will release him on March 5. Thomas joined us three years ago and has been a productive, passionate leader both on and off the field who has served as a positive influence for our younger players. We were fortunate to acquire Thomas and wish him the best.”

Ryan: “When I got here Thomas immediately became one of my guys. He had one of his best years last season - might have been his best. I have a tremendous amount of respect for him as a player and a person. As I said the other day, this is one of the tough decisions we had to make for our organization.”

The team had no statement from Jones.

- http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/jets/

Would 1 year more of him really be a hindrance to this team from going the extra step to the Super Bowl?

I'm not sure if I like this release so much.

PlsDontTearDownY.S.
03-01-10, 04:29 PM
I don't think losing TJ kills the Jets on the field, but definitely a blow to locker room chemistry fwiw. Jones was good, but put any other decent NFL halfback behind our o-line and he will prosper. And Jones was too easily tackled, it seemed like he would take one hit and hit the ground.

JeffWeaverFan
03-01-10, 06:34 PM
We are clearly going to need another RB now. I also wouldn't be surprised if we make a strong run at Adalius Thomas.

dabomb2045
03-01-10, 06:52 PM
This is a TERRIBLE decision IMO. TERRIBLE.

Snatch Catch
03-01-10, 07:52 PM
This draft is so, so deep at RB that the lack of picks likely won't hurt.

CallOfTheCrow
03-01-10, 08:08 PM
To no surprise to anyone, Lito will be released on Friday (Cimini).

ace
03-01-10, 11:59 PM
Step off the ledge, guys, you're talking about a 31-year-old running back who's lead the league in carries for several years. It's probably much sooner than later that that's going to catch up with him.

Melan-cynic
03-02-10, 12:09 AM
This is a TERRIBLE decision IMO. TERRIBLE.Relax. If Jones wasn't willing to restructure his deal the Jets' hands were tied and they had to cut him loose.

dabomb2045
03-02-10, 08:26 AM
Relax. If Jones wasn't willing to restructure his deal the Jets' hands were tied and they had to cut him loose.

What happens if Washington takes awhile to get back to 100% (very likely since his injury was major), and Greene's running style means alot of nagging injuries--also meaning he cant handle a huge workload?

Greene's running style reminds me alot of Brandon Jacobs. He isnt as big as Jacobs is, but he has that same way of trying to run over and thru people. The problem w/that is you cant run that way and carry the ball 250-300 times a year for very long. Even Jacobs toned it down this past season...which also limited his effectiveness.

With the uncapped year coming up, Jones should have been held onto. Would have formed a nice three-headed RB tandem that would have given other teams problems.

CallOfTheCrow
03-02-10, 05:38 PM
According to Bart Scott, Adalius Thomas wants to be a Jet.

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/jets/2010/03/bart-adalius-thomas-wants-rex.html

TheManKnownAsMecca
03-02-10, 06:10 PM
A RB you could get in the 4th or 5th (possibly third after the combine is said and done but he did miss this year) is James Starks out of UB. I'd love for the Bills to scoop him up. He is going to be a very good RB.

From Rotoworld:

Buffalo RB James Starks ran an official forty time of 4.50 at the Scouting Combine.
The time ranked seventh among running backs. Starks is a major sleeper with starting-caliber potential for the middle rounds. He's been a full participant all week after missing 2009 with a torn shoulder labrum.

From Kiper:

Kiper also was very high on James Starks, the University of Buffalo's career rushing leader, who missed the whole season with a shoulder injury but could be a steal.

"He's right now back to where he needs to be physically or close to it," Kiper said. "He would have been a second- or third-round pick had he played this year with Buffalo, so James Starks, if you can get him in the fourth or fifth round, the kid's got a lot of ability."

Snatch Catch
03-02-10, 07:22 PM
The RB position is so freaking deep this year.

philleotardo
03-02-10, 11:35 PM
The RB position is so freaking deep this year.Yes, you did say that........care to elaborate?

NYYRules#1
03-03-10, 12:06 AM
Given the RB options in the draft, Jones' lackluster performance towards the end of this season (which, at his age and wear and tear, indicates an impending decline), and his contract, I'm okay with this release. He would've been 2nd on the depth chart behind Greene and had a high chance of severe regression. Would it have been nice to have 3 good RBs? Of course, but with the risks involved with Jones and his contract, it was a reasonable move to release him.

CallOfTheCrow
03-03-10, 08:12 PM
Per Cimini, Washington & Brad Smith received second round tenders.

Snatch Catch
03-03-10, 09:02 PM
Per Cimini, Washington & Brad Smith received second round tenders.

A 2nd rounder for Smith is a pipedream, but if someone wants to give a 2nd rounder for Leon in this draft, sign me the hell up.

PlsDontTearDownY.S.
03-04-10, 04:51 PM
A 2nd rounder for Smith is a pipedream, but if someone wants to give a 2nd rounder for Leon in this draft, sign me the hell up.

I know the draft is deep but how many guys can do what Leon does? He's a gamechanger. There's no one else except Edwards (when he actually catches the ball) we have that can be a dynamic offensive weapon.

JeffWeaverFan
03-04-10, 04:58 PM
I know the draft is deep but how many guys can do what Leon does? He's a gamechanger. There's no one else except Edwards (when he actually catches the ball) we have that can be a dynamic offensive weapon.
Yeah that's true for what Leon was, but Leon will be going on 28 and most likely his best days are behind him after that injury. I'd gladly let someone else see if he can come back to 100% and take their 2nd rounder. Doubt it will happen though.

CallOfTheCrow
03-04-10, 06:47 PM
Complete list of RFA tenders (Cimini):

First- and Third-Round Level ($3.0 million to $3.3 million)

WR Braylon Edwards (In his case, his 2009 base salary was greater than the tender, so he receives 110% of that figure, $5 million)

First-Round Level ($2.4 million to $2.6 million)

None

Second-Round Level ($1.7 million to $1.8 million)

RB Leon Washington ($1.759 million)

WR Brad Smith ($1.759 million)

Orginal Draft-Round Level ($1.1 million to $1.2 million)

QB Kellen Clemens (third round, $1.176 million. Originally a second-round pick, but because the Jets used second-round tenders on Washington and Smith, the rule states that Clemens must drop a round in terms of compensation)

S Eric Smith (third round, $1.176 million)

OT Wayne Hunter (third round, $1.176 million)

CB Drew Coleman (sixth round, $1.176 million)

S James Ihedigbo (undrafted, $1.101 million)

Not Tendered

WR Wallace Wright

LB Marques Murrell

DT Howard Green

PlsDontTearDownY.S.
03-04-10, 08:03 PM
Yeah that's true for what Leon was, but Leon will be going on 28 and most likely his best days are behind him after that injury. I'd gladly let someone else see if he can come back to 100% and take their 2nd rounder. Doubt it will happen though.

I'd think he'd be in trouble if knee ligaments that were torn, and Leon is not a typical 250 rushes a year back. I think he can be very productive into his early 30s. That type of injury is more common in soccer, and those guys make it back after broken legs and play at a comparable level.

Clete
03-04-10, 10:40 PM
This is very fresh off the wire, but the Jets have just dealt some picks for Antonio Cromartie of the Chargers.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/03/04/antonio-cromartie-is-headed-to-the-jets/

The New York Jets' "extreme interest" in Antonio Cromartie should be consummated soon.

Fox's Jay Glazer reports that New York is on the verge of a trade that would send a second or third-round pick in 2011 to the Chargers for the troubled Chargers wideout.

Snatch Catch
03-04-10, 10:57 PM
I'm alright with it. Hopefully Rex and co can harness his awesome raw skills.

YanksFan1992
03-04-10, 11:30 PM
It's a done deal per Schefter.

The Jets easily have the best pair of corners in the league now.

NYYRules#1
03-05-10, 12:34 AM
Tremendous deal for the Jets. This defense gets even more insane.

RYMASTER or Ryan_Yankees
03-05-10, 03:52 AM
I just read that Cromartie has 7 kids from 5 women, and he's only 25. Now THERE'S incentive to play well for a new contract...child support. :lol:

dabomb2045
03-05-10, 04:43 AM
If we get the 2006-07 Cromartie.....great deal. If we get the 2008-09 Cromartie...not so good.

RYMASTER or Ryan_Yankees
03-05-10, 04:46 AM
If we get the 2006-07 Cromartie.....great deal. If we get the 2008-09 Cromartie...not so good.

http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/2010/writers/don_banks/03/05/midnight.madness/T1_0304_crodunn.jpg

Jetfanmack
03-05-10, 06:49 AM
http://img200.imageshack.us/img200/6670/cromartiefb1.jpg
http://i45.tinypic.com/5kkln4.jpg
http://img51.imageshack.us/img51/3883/cromartiefb2.jpg
http://i45.tinypic.com/2gt6wdc.gif
http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/9756/cromartiefb3.jpg

http://img191.imageshack.us/img191/7029/cromartiefb4.jpg
http://i50.tinypic.com/2ngqzbn.gif
http://img191.imageshack.us/img191/213/cromartiefb5.jpg

Jetfanmack
03-05-10, 06:50 AM
I love the Cromartie move. He could end up busting, but he's 25 years old, and it's well worth the gamble to find out. The defense suits him very well.

As for Leon, I'd love for someone to sign him so we could get a 2nd round pick back, but I just highly doubt that would happen. I love Leon, but at 28 years old coming off a broken leg, he's a risk, and he still wants a big contract. Runningback is not the place to dole out big contracts to players. That's also why nobody else will sign him for that price.

RYMASTER or Ryan_Yankees
03-05-10, 07:00 AM
Just heard on SportsCenter that the Jets might be looking to re-sign Thomas Jones after he's released.

PinstripePride
03-05-10, 07:55 AM
You beat me to that post with the GIFs, JetFanMack. Do you post on The Gang Green forums?

I like this move, even though I think Cro is a douchebag. He and Shonn Greene need to sit down and talk.

As for the Thomas Jones thing, I hope he wants to come back, but I'd be a little pissed if I were in his shoes. Then again, he's got a damn good shot at a ring next year with this team, so it would be wise for him to put aside those feelings.

fredgmuggs
03-05-10, 07:57 AM
I just read that Cromartie has 7 kids from 5 women, and he's only 25. Now THERE'S incentive to play well for a new contract...child support. :lol:
When does he find the time to play football?

PinstripePride
03-05-10, 08:01 AM
http://www.mkrob.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/antonio-cromartie.jpg

mentalgidget
03-05-10, 09:48 AM

No worries there... he doesn't pay it anyhow

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/347901-chargers-chargers-cb-antonio-cromartie-owes-25000-in-child-support

...Antonio Cromartie is past due on about $25,000 in child support after missing his Feb. 1 payment due date for several of his children, an attorney for the mother of one of his children says...

PlsDontTearDownY.S.
03-05-10, 11:05 AM
No worries there... he doesn't pay it anyhow

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/347901-chargers-chargers-cb-antonio-cromartie-owes-25000-in-child-support

...Antonio Cromartie is past due on about $25,000 in child support after missing his Feb. 1 payment due date for several of his children, an attorney for the mother of one of his children says...

All the more incentive for him to bust his ass and excel with the Jets. I do wonder about his heart though. Him wussing out of tackling Shonn G only to chase him down the field and give a late little shot to him after the touchdown is still fresh in my mind. Well maybe playing across from Revis will bring the beast out of him. Revis is a great tackler for a CB.

mentalgidget
03-05-10, 11:34 AM
All the more incentive for him to bust his ass and excel with the Jets. I do wonder about his heart though. Him wussing out of tackling Shonn G only to chase him down the field and give a late little shot to him after the touchdown is still fresh in my mind. Well maybe playing across from Revis will bring the beast out of him. Revis is a great tackler for a CB.

Was he the Charger's #1 cb? Maybe being the # 2 guy, not lining up against the Fitzgerald's and Megatron's of the world will help him out. Of course, lining him up against a Welker type slot guy may be a bad matchup for him given his tackling "issues"

PinstripePride
03-05-10, 11:34 AM

Agreed. His play in that game is borderline criminal and really worries me. That being said, if anyone can get this guy to play to his potential and with some fire, it's Rex, Thurman, and Revis. He's got one hell of a group around him to motivate him, and he'll be playing in the style of defense that he excelled in back in '07. Like the move a lot and while I don't think he's going to turn into Patrick Willis, I do think he'll turn it around and be a major win for us.

PinstripePride
03-05-10, 11:36 AM
Was he the Charger's #1 cb? Maybe being the # 2 guy, not lining up against the Fitzgerald's and Megatron's of the world will help him out. Of course, lining him up against a Welker type slot guy may be a bad matchup for him given his tackling "issues"

From what I understand, the Chargers played more 'sides', so while Jammer was considered more of the #1, teams could put their #1 on Cro if they wanted without SD shifting on them. Obviously not gonna happen in NY.

DaSh 1s
03-05-10, 01:02 PM
http://img200.imageshack.us/img200/6670/cromartiefb1.jpg
http://i45.tinypic.com/5kkln4.jpg
http://img51.imageshack.us/img51/3883/cromartiefb2.jpg
http://i45.tinypic.com/2gt6wdc.gif
http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/9756/cromartiefb3.jpg

http://img191.imageshack.us/img191/7029/cromartiefb4.jpg
http://i50.tinypic.com/2ngqzbn.gif
http://img191.imageshack.us/img191/213/cromartiefb5.jpg

^ Right, because that was mine. Woulda have been nice to refer my post.. Cool though!

Anyway congrats!

<TABLE class=MsoNormalTable style="MARGIN-LEFT: 1in; WIDTH: 6.5in" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=624 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0in; PADDING-LEFT: 0in; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; PADDING-TOP: 0in" vAlign=top> <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
<TABLE class=MsoNormalTable cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0in; PADDING-LEFT: 0in; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; PADDING-TOP: 0in" vAlign=top> Cromartie has at least seven children in five states (http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2009/jul/12/1s12chargers01169/). Depending on the report, they were born to five or six women. All the children are under 6 years old. <o:p></o:p>
The San Diego Union-Tribune has reported he owes $25,000 in unpaid child support and has been the subject of five paternity lawsuits over the past three years. <o:p></o:p>
The Union-Tribune reported Friday morning Cromartie twice has failed to appear in court (http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2010/mar/05/cromartie-dmv-child-support-chargers/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter) to address traffic tickets and has neglected to pay $799 in fines. <o:p></o:p>
The same story noted Cromartie is due in court this month for a case related to child support. <o:p></o:p>
San Diego police investigated him for assault (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4684041) for allegedly hitting a man over the head with a champagne bottle at a bar in November. No charges were filed for lack of evidence. <o:p></o:p>
Chargers coach Norv Turner fined Cromartie $2,500 (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/trainingcamp09/news/story?id=4376876) for ripping the team's training-camp cuisine and suggesting that type of treatment is why they can't win Super Bowls.<o:p></o:p>
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

YanksFan1992
03-06-10, 07:14 PM
Kerry Rhodes was traded to the Cards for a fourth and seventh round pick.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/03/06/jets-trade-kerry-rhodes-to-cardinals/

I can't say I understand this move. If they really wanted to trade Rhodes this badly, they probably could have gotten a bit more.

dabomb2045
03-06-10, 07:19 PM
Not a fan of this move either....

CallOfTheCrow
03-06-10, 07:35 PM
The 7th round pick is in the 2011 draft (per Cimini)

TheManKnownAsMecca
03-06-10, 08:38 PM
Definitely feel that you could have gotten more for Rhodes.

Melan-cynic
03-07-10, 05:08 PM
Should've and likely could've gotten more. Antrel Rolle would've made me feel better about it.

PinstripePride
03-07-10, 09:11 PM
Just got back from a weekend away and I have to say, I am also very disappointed by this trade. We should have been able to get a lot more for Rhodes, and if not, then just kept him. Kinda crappy to follow up a great trade with one that kinda takes the wind out of your sails a bit. I'd be pretty elated if I was a Cardinals fan.

dabomb2045
03-07-10, 09:14 PM
Just got back from a weekend away and I have to say, I am also very disappointed by this trade. We should have been able to get a lot more for Rhodes, and if not, then just kept him. Kinda crappy to follow up a great trade with one that kinda takes the wind out of your sails a bit. I'd be pretty elated if I was a Cardinals fan.

I dont get why everyone felt he had to be traded. Yes the guy had a down season...but played very well after the "wake up" call of losing his starting spot temporarily. He's still a very good player.

Just feels like we gave up on him for some reason.

PinstripePride
03-08-10, 02:23 PM
I DO feel like he needed to go. I don't really want a distraction, me-first kinda guy on my team like Rhodes had become. He seemed more focused on twittering and staring at himself in the mirror than hitting anyone. He doesn't fit Rex's mold whatsoever. That being said, you don't dump him for next to nothing and you don't shop him with such a sense of urgency that forces you to take less than he's worth. Rhodes was worth a LOT more than we got, on raw talent alone.

Now we need to fill the hole at S with the draft, when I was hoping we coulda used our top pick on a pass rushing DE.

PlsDontTearDownY.S.
03-08-10, 03:46 PM
I think Kerry Rhodes showed the Jets why it was time to go when he celebrated after his sack/forced fumble of Philip Rivers in that playoff game instead of keeping his head in the game and going for the football. Total "me" guy. To be fair, Cromartie's noneffort was weak in that game as well, but Rhodes had a whole season to endear himself to Rex.

Melan-cynic
03-08-10, 03:48 PM
I think Kerry Rhodes showed the Jets why it was time to go when he celebrated after his sack/forced fumble of Philip Rivers in that playoff game instead of keeping his head in the game and going for the football. Total "me" guy.That play aggravated me beyond belief. It also annoyed me that no one in the football media seemed to pick up on that particular play. Unreal.

DaSh 1s
03-09-10, 09:49 PM
TJ is a chief.

Snatch Catch
03-09-10, 09:51 PM
And for not a lot of money.

I'm not at all upset. Now the 49ers need to breath life into the Leon rumor.

CallOfTheCrow
03-09-10, 10:04 PM
And for not a lot of money.

I'm not at all upset. Now the 49ers need to breath life into the Leon rumor.

Que? Haven't heard this.

DaSh 1s
03-09-10, 10:07 PM
Destroys my Jamaal Charles keeper :(

CallOfTheCrow
03-09-10, 10:11 PM
Chris Steuber's latest mock on scout.com has the Jets taking Carlos Dunlap in the 1st & Damian Williams in the 2nd.

Snatch Catch
03-09-10, 10:18 PM
Que? Haven't heard this.

There's supposedly some rumor about the Niners having interest, which would be awesome because if they signed him to a deal, the Jets would get the 49th pick in the draft if they chose not to match.

dabomb2045
03-09-10, 10:22 PM
I think Kerry Rhodes showed the Jets why it was time to go when he celebrated after his sack/forced fumble of Philip Rivers in that playoff game instead of keeping his head in the game and going for the football. Total "me" guy. To be fair, Cromartie's noneffort was weak in that game as well, but Rhodes had a whole season to endear himself to Rex.

If you didnt like Rhodes...you're gonna hate Cromartie and his selfishness. Btw whats w/everyone wanting to just dump Jones and now Leon? Does everyone really think Greene can handle 300+ carries a year w/his running style? He's a smaller Brandon Jacobs. Real good but he wont hold up for 16 games unless he changes his style--and changing his style will also limit his effectiveness.

CallOfTheCrow
03-09-10, 10:31 PM
Heard Wallace Wright signed with Carolina.

PlsDontTearDownY.S.
03-10-10, 01:54 PM
If you didnt like Rhodes...you're gonna hate Cromartie and his selfishness. Btw whats w/everyone wanting to just dump Jones and now Leon? Does everyone really think Greene can handle 300+ carries a year w/his running style? He's a smaller Brandon Jacobs. Real good but he wont hold up for 16 games unless he changes his style--and changing his style will also limit his effectiveness.

I don't want the Jets to get rid of Leon in any way, shape, or form unless it has something to do with Brandon Marshall coming back, but NFL trades don't seem to go down like that anyway. Leon is far too valuable. He's not that old, he hasn't been run ragged like traditional halfbacks, and his injury is not of the career crippling type.

As far as Cromartie, I realize he's got a checkered reputation. But I'm willing to give a guy of his talent and athleticism a season to prove himself. He's has so much riding on a productive season.

Melan-cynic
03-10-10, 01:59 PM
I don't want the Jets to get rid of Leon in any way, shape, or form unless it has something to do with Brandon Marshall coming back, but NFL trades don't seem to go down like that anyway. Leon is far too valuable. He's not that old, he hasn't been run ragged like traditional halfbacks, and his injury is not of the career crippling type.
:wtf: Leon for Brandon Marshall? FAIL. So many things wrong with this post.

First, how the hell do you think Leon Washington [coming off a broken leg no less] brings back Marshall in a trade.

Secondly, Marshall is a free agent, so where you get trade from I do not know.

Third, how can you possibly know if a horribly broken leg is or is not a "career crippling type" injury for a running back?

Snatch Catch
03-10-10, 02:02 PM
Marshall is an RFA and tendered at the highest rate, so in actuality he's probably likely to be traded if he's on another team next year.

Melan-cynic
03-10-10, 02:03 PM
Marshall is an RFA and tendered at the highest rate, so in actuality he's probably likely to be traded if he's on another team next year.No he's not. Marshall is tendered to a 1st round not the highest tender - which is a 1st and 3rd rounder. Seattle is going to sign him...unless Denver matches. It's a RFA signing, not a trade...

Snatch Catch
03-10-10, 02:13 PM
No he's not. Marshall is tendered to a 1st round not the highest tender - which is a 1st and 3rd rounder. Seattle is going to sign him...unless Denver matches. It's a RFA signing, not a trade...

Ok, I thought he had the highest tender. Regardless, there's no way Seattle signs him. They're not giving up the 6th pick in the draft to sign Marshall to a huge contract. They're going to try and work out a trade with Denver if they're trying to land Marshall.

PlsDontTearDownY.S.
03-10-10, 02:50 PM
:wtf: Leon for Brandon Marshall? FAIL. So many things wrong with this post.

First, how the hell do you think Leon Washington [coming off a broken leg no less] brings back Marshall in a trade.

Secondly, Marshall is a free agent, so where you get trade from I do not know.

Third, how can you possibly know if a horribly broken leg is or is not a "career crippling type" injury for a running back?

First of all, take it easy. You go on like I'm a condemned sinner for being mistaken. "How the hell do you think" ...relax. I didn't know he was a FA, and you obviously didn't pick up on the meaning of my comments. My point with the Brandon Marshall thing was to show that it would take a near impossibility (apparently total impossibility in this case) for me to be ok with letting Leon go. Perhaps I should have gone with another player.

As for the nature of the injury and the likelihood of successful rehab, look at soccer for precedent. Soccer players change direction and rely on their legs as much as or more as NFL halfbacks, and they frequently recover from broken legs to play at a comparable level to before the injury. Torn knee ligaments are another story entirely.

DaSh 1s
03-10-10, 03:01 PM
I think you underestimate how replaceable Leon could be.

PlsDontTearDownY.S.
03-10-10, 03:06 PM
I think you underestimate how replaceable Leon could be.

How? By whom? At any point in the game, when Leon touches the ball he's a move or two away from a TD.

Snatch Catch
03-10-10, 03:09 PM
How? By whom? At any point in the game, when Leon touches the ball he's a move or two away from a TD.

That's a bit of hyperbole.

I'd drive Leon to the airport myself if it meant getting a pick like the Niners 2nd rounder (#49). Take Hardesty, or whomever falls to them.

Or wait until the 3rd/4th and take McCluster.

Melan-cynic
03-10-10, 03:42 PM
As for the nature of the injury and the likelihood of successful rehab, look at soccer for precedent. Soccer players change direction and rely on their legs as much as or more as NFL halfbacks, and they frequently recover from broken legs to play at a comparable level to before the injury. Torn knee ligaments are another story entirely.As someone who played soccer very competitively for my entire life I have to ask: are you serious?

I know people underestimate the conditioning and physicality involved in top-notch soccer but please tell me the last time Cristiano Ronaldo was tackled by three 250lbs linebackers running full bore.

Comparing the two in terms of injury-risk and the ability to return from said injuries is ludicrous.

dabomb2045
03-10-10, 03:45 PM

I'd drive Leon to the airport myself if it meant getting a pick like the Niners 2nd rounder (#49). Take Hardesty, or whomever falls to them.

Why are you okay with turning one of our strengths last year (RB) into a weakness next year?

PlsDontTearDownY.S.
03-10-10, 03:52 PM
As someone who played soccer very competitively for my entire life I have to ask: are you serious?

I know people underestimate the conditioning and physicality involved in top-notch soccer but please tell me the last time Cristiano Ronaldo was tackled by three 250lbs linebackers running full bore.

Comparing the two in terms of injury-risk and the ability to return from said injuries is ludicrous.

Why? The end result is a broken leg any way you slice it. Your anecdote failed to address how your experience in soccer gives you a better perspective on the nature of an injury like Leon's than a layman does. The collisions that cause a broken legs are violent enough to cause them, be it from a violent, full steam, misplaced slide tackle in soccer or from the body being contorted by a hit from a massive NFL defender.

Snatch Catch
03-10-10, 03:53 PM
Why are you okay with turning one of our strengths last year (RB) into a weakness next year?

It's not a given that Washington is the same he was pre-injury, and another back that can shoulder the load but still have the ability to break plays will absolutely be available in the 2nd round. I love Leon, but despite improving in his ability to carry the ball, he's not someone whom you can be really confident in being a feature back. Having a 2nd rounder will allow the Jets to get another legit feature back, a la Greene.

Hell, give me Anthony Dixon over Leon.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/wcY8Mqlu1qU&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/wcY8Mqlu1qU&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

PlsDontTearDownY.S.
03-10-10, 03:59 PM

Perhaps, but to trade him for an unknown in a draft pick doesn't do it for me. I can't say for sure that I think Leon is going to come back at or near the level he was at before. Still, Leon proved himself to be a gamebreaking offensive player when he was healthy, something the Jets don't have except maybe Edwards on occasion. We have a decent tight end, a good hb, great o-line, an average WRs...where is the offense coming from? We don't know what draft picks will turn into.

Snatch Catch
03-10-10, 04:04 PM
Perhaps, but to trade him for an unknown in a draft pick doesn't do it for me. I can't say for sure that I think Leon is going to come back at or near the level he was at before. Still, Leon proved himself to be a gamebreaking offensive player when he was healthy, something the Jets don't have except maybe Edwards on occasion.

Given the success the Jets have shown in player evaluation recently, I wouldn't call a 2nd round talent an unknown. They knew to trade up for guys like Revis, Keller, Sanchez and Greene. I'm more than happy to give them a 2nd round pick in one of the deepest drafts of all-time to replace a 28 year old change-of-pace back coming off a broken leg.

PlsDontTearDownY.S.
03-10-10, 04:12 PM
Given the success the Jets have shown in player evaluation recently, I wouldn't call a 2nd round talent an unknown. They knew to trade up for guys like Revis, Keller, Sanchez and Greene. I'm more than happy to give them a 2nd round pick in one of the deepest drafts of all-time to replace a 28 year old change-of-pace back coming off a broken leg.

The draft is indeed deep. But if Leon goes for a draft pick, there's another need to fill. The defense is still not a finished product and the offense is in need of talent at the skill positions. Sanchez has to be a well above average to elite QB to win with this offense as it is right now, and it's tough to expect every draft pick to be a success.

Melan-cynic
03-10-10, 04:59 PM
Why? The end result is a broken leg any way you slice it.Come on now. You cannot be serious.

Hm, maybe the result is different because soccer players are not tackled by 300lbs defensive lineman on every play as Leon will be in 2010.

You are really pretending that the physicality that a soccer striker faces is equivalent to that which an undersized RB in the NFL experiences and it's just ridiculous.

Your anecdote failed to address how your experience in soccer gives you a better perspective on the nature of an injury like Leon's than a layman does. The collisions that cause a broken legs are violent enough to cause them, be it from a violent, full steam, misplaced slide tackle in soccer or from the body being contorted by a hit from a massive NFL defender.
And your post fails to address how you compare a 5 foot 7 Leon Washington getting tackled by a bunch of 6 ft 3 250lbs linebackers and 300+lbs defensive lineman with soccer players who are far smaller in stature and make bodily contact far less often and far less severely. Please explain how you can correlate the two.

dabomb2045
03-10-10, 05:32 PM

Why couldnt they just have kept what they had at RB (which was a big strength last year) and use their picks to address more important needs?

Now they just allowed a strength to become a weakness (a weakness if Leon is traded...right now its still good but not the huge strength it was w/TJ) which they now will have to use picks to fix. Doesnt make sense to me.

They did address one weakness w/Revis's sidekick at the other CB---lets hope we get the 06-07 Cromartie....beyond that this team did not have many weaknesses last year. IMO, they were a) our QB being a rookie b) lacking downfield speed at WR d) being weak at the 2nd CB spot and c) not having a pass rusher. All we had to do was keep what we had at RB which was a strength....we theoretically improved the 2nd CB spot....that leaves WR and pass rushing which could have been addressed with our early picks. Now we're gonna have to use one of those picks on a RB.

Melan-cynic
03-10-10, 05:40 PM
Ok, I thought he had the highest tender. Regardless, there's no way Seattle signs him. They're not giving up the 6th pick in the draft to sign Marshall to a huge contract. They're going to try and work out a trade with Denver if they're trying to land Marshall.So. They trade down to the late first round of the draft, sign Marshall and get the big time receiver they covet [and know well thanks to two Seattle coaches Marshall knows and trusts] and then have an extra 2nd or 3rd round pick to use in addition to the picks they already had going into draftday.

Snatch Catch
03-10-10, 06:37 PM
So. They trade down to the late first round of the draft, sign Marshall and get the big time receiver they covet [and know well thanks to two Seattle coaches Marshall knows and trusts] and then have an extra 2nd or 3rd round pick to use in addition to the picks they already had going into draftday.

I doubt it. They'll work out a trade with Denver for less than the 6th pick if they get him. They already own Denver's 1st (14th), or they'll package a 2nd with some other stuff. The odds are almost zero that Seattle will simply sign him outright, and if they somehow did it (and gave up the 6th pick) would be rightfully laughed at by everyone and anyone in the NFL community. Even at #14, it's a huge price to pay for a WR that has numerous off-field issues.

Unless the team offering him a contract is in the bottom half of the draft (Jets, Saints, Colts) there's almost no chance that he's signed outright.

Logic says that it's a strong possibility that Marshall is traded when he moves, not signed. And if it's the Seahawks they're almost definitely trading for him.

just-blaze
03-10-10, 08:30 PM
Why couldnt they just have kept what they had at RB (which was a big strength last year) and use their picks to address more important needs?

Now they just allowed a strength to become a weakness (a weakness if Leon is traded...right now its still good but not the huge strength it was w/TJ) which they now will have to use picks to fix. Doesnt make sense to me.

They did address one weakness w/Revis's sidekick at the other CB---lets hope we get the 06-07 Cromartie....beyond that this team did not have many weaknesses last year. IMO, they were a) our QB being a rookie b) lacking downfield speed at WR d) being weak at the 2nd CB spot and c) not having a pass rusher. All we had to do was keep what we had at RB which was a strength....we theoretically improved the 2nd CB spot....that leaves WR and pass rushing which could have been addressed with our early picks. Now we're gonna have to use one of those picks on a RB.

Well, actually according to Snatch's scenario if we do get a 2nd rounder for Leon we would have a 1st and 2 2nd rounders. We could use those three picks to address the problems identified by you.

RB's like McCluster, Dixon, McKnight will be available in the late 3rd round and beyond which would address the RB situation.

By your strategy, your assuming a 31 yr old RB will not regress and a 28 yr old that came off a broken leg will regain his old form. Which would give us a pick to address depth in whatever area is applicable.

Im not saying that youre wrong, but I would prefer the strategy Snatch went for if possible. Fresh legs at the RB position is valuable as Shonn Greene showed last year.

dabomb2045
03-10-10, 08:39 PM
I still think Jones has plenty in the tank...esp when you consider he wont be expected to carry the ball 300+ times next year. He'd be splitting time w/Greene...which would have kept both fresh--important for Jones cuz of his age, and important for Greene cuz his running style leads to getting worn down and nagging injuries. Then you have Leon as the change of pace guy who gets some carries and passes out of the backfield. I have some concern w/Leon but its much easier to recover from a clean break of a leg bone, then a tear of ligaments in a knee or something like that--I think he'll be okay.

IMO the Jets had a great thing here with these guys....and they blew it.

just-blaze
03-10-10, 08:48 PM
I still think Jones has plenty in the tank...esp when you consider he wont be expected to carry the ball 300+ times next year. He'd be splitting time w/Greene...which would have kept both fresh--important for Jones cuz of his age, and important for Greene cuz his running style leads to getting worn down and nagging injuries. Then you have Leon as the change of pace guy who gets some carries and passes out of the backfield.

IMO the Jets had a great thing here with these guys....and they blew it.

Meh....there are about 6-8 backs coming out in the draft that I would prefer to have over Jones or post-injury Leon all of which would be upgrades and would be cheaper than what Jones was asking for.

The Jets are playing the odds correctly, IMO.

Melan-cynic
03-10-10, 08:52 PM
Agreed.

dabomb2045
03-10-10, 09:19 PM
All I'm saying is that RB wasnt a concern prior to last week. Now it is. Now you have to worry about finding the right RB in the draft. Now you have to worry about Greene being able to carry a much bigger load (prob at least 250-275 carries).

Its another thing the Jets now have to concern themselves with in the draft. I didnt want to have to take a RB high in the draft....I wanted to focus on a pass rushing DE/DL (or two), some safety/CB help and a speedy WR. Now we'll have to use a high pick on a RB.

just-blaze
03-10-10, 11:11 PM
All I'm saying is that RB wasnt a concern prior to last week. Now it is. Now you have to worry about finding the right RB in the draft. Now you have to worry about Greene being able to carry a much bigger load (prob at least 250-275 carries).

Its another thing the Jets now have to concern themselves with in the draft. I didnt want to have to take a RB high in the draft....I wanted to focus on a pass rushing DE/DL (or two), some safety/CB help and a speedy WR. Now we'll have to use a high pick on a RB.

This is football, you always have to worry. I could just as well say that we should worry that Jones a 32 year old RB who over the past 6 years has averaged 300 carries will break down if he doesnt regress. And we also have to worry that Leon will come back and be effective.

Plus we are going to have to reload at RB at some point. Id much rather get a RB in the 4th round who normally would go as high as the 2nd or 3rd in most other drafts than get a DE in the 4th who normally go as high as 6th in other drafts.

And, I don't consider the 4th round as high in the draft and I feel there will be a quality RB there when we pick.

dabomb2045
03-11-10, 02:14 PM
Supposedly Tomlinson is visiting the Jets within the next few days. Meh.

Btw the latest Kiper/McShay mock has Kiper predicting the Jets take safety Taylor Mays from USC....while McShay has them taking DE Odrick from Penn St

Snatch Catch
03-11-10, 03:09 PM
I'd be really pissed about Mays. I don't think he makes it to them though, and have faith in Tanny that they wouldn't take him even if he did.

dabomb2045
03-11-10, 03:30 PM
I'd be really pissed about Mays. I don't think he makes it to them though, and have faith in Tanny that they wouldn't take him even if he did.

What guys are you looking at for our 1st rounder?

Melan-cynic
03-11-10, 03:53 PM
But he runs so fast!! Just think, he and Ghost can have benchpressing competitions. That should win them some games, right?

dabomb2045
03-11-10, 04:04 PM
Speaking of Gholston....why is he still here? His contract is a sunk cost at this point. Just admit you blew the pick...and cut his ass. I'd rather use his roster spot for a less talented but plays hard type guy (Mike DeVito) then use it on a guy who cant do a thing.

Snatch Catch
03-11-10, 04:14 PM
What guys are you looking at for our 1st rounder?

The consensus amongst Jets fans in the draft know is the hope that Earl Thomas falls. If not him, than an OLB (Kindle), DT (Cody), or DE (Dunlap) that falls, or even a CB like McCourty. Additionally, there's been recent buzz about taking Pouncey out of FSU to help build the future of the OL. Also, if Ryan Matthews is somehow available, you obviously take him.

There's a lot of really nice football talent (i.e. not Mays) that could potentially be legitimate building blocks available this year.

CallOfTheCrow
03-11-10, 09:19 PM
Jets signed Brodney Pool to a 1 year deal.

Snatch Catch
03-11-10, 10:09 PM
He's got a serious concussion issue, I believe. Can't see this amounting to much except some articles in the sports sections and maybe a bad ending.

Brooklyn Yankee Fan
03-12-10, 02:13 PM
A rotation, so to speak, of Greene, Leon and Tomlinson (with the right mindset of him knowing his role) would be :drool: .

Tomlinson apparently knows what his role would be with the Jets (and even Vikings), which is a very reduced role, essentially the third-string back.

His receiving skills are pretty underrated, and with Sanchez throwing the ball more next season, LT could be a good fit. He still has a knack to find the endzone.

dabomb2045
03-13-10, 12:32 AM
If we sign LDT....then the "we got rid of Jones cuz he was showing signs of decline" excuse no longer holds any water. Tomlinson has looked finished for two years now.

If we do sign him, I will hope for some kind of rebound season w/him as the backup...but its head scratcher to sign him while you could have just held on to Jones and paid him his $2.5M bonus.

Melan-cynic
03-13-10, 01:35 AM
Do.not.want.

just-blaze
03-13-10, 02:22 AM
If we sign LDT....then the "we got rid of Jones cuz he was showing signs of decline" excuse no longer holds any water. Tomlinson has looked finished for two years now.

If we do sign him, I will hope for some kind of rebound season w/him as the backup...but its head scratcher to sign him while you could have just held on to Jones and paid him his $2.5M bonus.

I agree.....I want no part of LDT. Jones>LDT Apparently this is fueled in most part due to Brian and if this is the case, its just another reason for him to leave now.

In terms of the 1st rounder, Tate is intriguing. What I really would love is if we traded up to get Thomas. If Dunlap or Kindle fall they would be great.

Or we could trade back, get an extra pick, and take Williams USC, Hughes TCU, or Cody.

A lot of options for our needs picks.

Brooklyn Yankee Fan
03-14-10, 06:37 PM
http://twitter.com/Adam_Schefter/status/10487471218

Filed to ESPN: it's official. LaDainian Tomlinson is a Jet. He reached agreement on a two-year contract. Done.

For those who have doubts, think of it this way.

Tomlinson knows his role coming in, and it's to just be a contributor. He is not a Jet to be the savior in the RB department. Anything else he gives the team is a plus.

dabomb2045
03-14-10, 06:47 PM
I hope we dont trade Leon now and solely rely on Tomlinson as our 3rd down back. Sigh. I really do not like the decisions at RB this offseason.

Brooklyn Yankee Fan
03-14-10, 06:55 PM
I hope we dont trade Leon now and solely rely on Tomlinson as our 3rd down back. Sigh. I really do not like the decisions at RB this offseason.

I want Leon back as well. Despite the injury, I think you just have to bring him back. He's a playmaker, and I'm sure he will be in a reduced role as well because of the injury.

PinstripePride
03-14-10, 06:57 PM

I'm with you man. Not a huge fan of this move, and if it means Leon is out the door, I will be very unhappy.

PinstripePride
03-14-10, 06:59 PM
I want Leon back as well. Despite the injury, I think you just have to bring him back. He's a playmaker, and I'm sure he will be in a reduced role as well because of the injury.

The dude was talked about as the offensive MVP before he got hurt, and now he's being written off my 75% of the fan base. I'm not sure why. I know it's a deep draft, and a 2nd round pick for him would be good, but still..

dabomb2045
03-14-10, 07:03 PM
The dude was talked about as the offensive MVP before he got hurt, and now he's being written off my 75% of the fan base. I'm not sure why. I know it's a deep draft, and a 2nd round pick for him would be good, but still..

I'd be much more concerned if he was coming back from a knee injury i.e torn ligaments or an achilles....something that really could rob his lateral quickness and speed.

A clean break of the fibula...assuming it heals properly...I dont see that robbing him of any of the skills that made him the game-changing RB that he was.

dabomb2045
03-14-10, 07:44 PM
Btw one thing I'm hearing is that the Jets liked LDT better cuz he is a better at catching passes out of the backfield. I'd point out that he only caught 20 passes last year.

Jones gave the Jets a chance to match the 2-year $5M deal KC gave him...they declined. I have a hard time believing they signed LDT for cheaper then that. So it basically came down to Jones vs LDT with money not being in the argument. They chose LDT. I disagree wholeheartedly.

By Tim Graham
The New York Jets (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=nyj) will have some explaining to do.

[+] Enlargehttp://a.espncdn.com/photo/2010/0314/nfl_u_lt_300.jpg (http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/11568/does-l-t-add-something-jones-couldnt#) <CITE>Christopher Hanewinckel/US Presswire</CITE>LaDainian Tomlinson chose the Jets over the Vikings.

Wooed over the past four days, free-agent running back LaDainian Tomlinson (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=2553) chose the Jets over the Minnesota Vikings (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=min). The future Hall of Famer signed a two-year contract, ESPN's Adam Schefter reports (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4994748).

The Tomlinson signing is a sexy acquisition, even though he'll likely be Shonn Greene's sidekick. But how does Tomlinson look better in the Jets' backfield than Thomas Jones (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=2138) would have? We don't know the monetary terms of Tomlinson's contract, but it's hard to imagine a substantial discount over what Jones was asking.

Jones would've made $5.8 million for the Jets under his old contract. The Jets released him rather than pay that much. He signed with the Kansas City Chiefs (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=kan) for two years and $5 million. He reportedly gave the Jets the option to match the offer and retain him, but they declined.

The Jets released Jones also because he'll turn 32 in August.

While he is 10 months older than Tomlinson, Jones is coming off a twice-as-productive season.

The decision to cut Jones didn't go over well (http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/10992/jets-o-line-against-decision-to-cut-jones) with, at the very least, a majority of the offensive line.

"A passionate guy like that, with the intensity he brought at certain points in the game, it ignited sparks in everybody," right guard Brandon Moore (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=5116) told New York Daily News reporter Rich Cimini when the Jets cut Jones. "You would've liked to have kept a guy like that."

Jones rushed for a career-best 1,402 yards and 14 touchdowns. He averaged 4.2 yards a carry.

Tomlinson rushed for a career-low 730 yards and 12 touchdowns. His 3.3-yard average was a personal-worst.

Imagine if Greene were to suffer an injury that sidelines him for a significant period. Could the Jets feel confident moving forward with Tomlinson and Leon Washington (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=9703), who's returning from a broken leg? Or would Jones' presence be more comforting?

About the only way I see Tomlinson as a more attractive option than Jones is that he makes the Jets' backfield more multidimensional. Jones and Greene are the same type of bulldozing back, although Jones is a far better receiver than Greene is.

I'm sure the Jets view Jones as nearing the end of his shelf life. Maybe he already reached his sell-by date right before the playoffs, when the Jets made Greene the featured back.

But I think we know for sure Tomlinson has reached the twilight.
Tags: New York Jets (http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/category/_/name/new-york-jets), Leon Washington (http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/tag/_/name/leon-washington), Thomas Jones (http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/tag/_/name/thomas-jones), Shonn Greene (http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/tag/_/name/shonn-greene), LaDainian Tomlinson (http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/tag/_/name/ladainian-tomlinson), Free agency 2010 (http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/tag/_/name/free-agency-2010)

Melan-cynic
03-15-10, 12:20 AM
I didn't cry bloody murder when Jones left because he is replaceable, but this move makes zero sense. Tomlinson is cooked and the Jets didn't sign him for peanuts. Therefore, I am totally against this move.

This is PSL-driven, certainly not a football move.

NJ Fan
03-15-10, 12:46 AM
IMHO, the Jets should offer big contracts to both Cromartie and Tomlinson. After all, they were the key players in the Jets making it to the AFC Championship game! ;) :P

just-blaze
03-15-10, 12:59 AM
Agree with the majority here........Jones>LDT.

I have a feeling this was really fueled by Schott, he probably has wet dreams of using LDT in all sorts of sillyass circus plays he has dreamed up.

LDT is the better receiver, but outside of that......Jones is better.

RYMASTER or Ryan_Yankees
03-15-10, 08:53 AM
Rex Ryan underwent weight loss surgery on Saturday.

http://thebiglead.com/index.php/2010/03/14/rex-ryan-has-a-smaller-stomach-today/

Best of luck.

RhodyYanksFan
03-15-10, 10:57 AM
I didn't cry bloody murder when Jones left because he is replaceable, but this move makes zero sense. Tomlinson is cooked and the Jets didn't sign him for peanuts. Therefore, I am totally against this move.

This is PSL-driven, certainly not a football move.

Sadly I think you're right. The people that can actually afford PSLs more often than not aren't super fans. Most actual fans know that LDT is done.

Snatch Catch
03-15-10, 11:38 AM
I'm not that mad about the LDT signing. I think Jones is actually more cooked than him, and LDT will see a slight rejuvination after getting healthy and playing behind the best O-Line in the league, and for a guy who knows very well how to use him, while also not being anything close to a feature back.

For 2010-2011 I'd rather have LDT than Jones. Obviously Jones had the much better year last season, but if we're talking only about the small window for which they were signed and what is being asked of them, I'm fine with swapping LDT for Jones.

Melan-cynic
03-15-10, 11:47 AM
The devil you know is better than the devil you don't.

Snatch Catch
03-15-10, 11:54 AM
I think it's exactly because they know TJ so well that they were so willing to let him walk.

Melan-cynic
03-15-10, 12:04 PM
I think it's exactly because they know TJ so well that they were so willing to let him walk.That was my hope.

PlsDontTearDownY.S.
03-15-10, 12:28 PM
I'm not that mad about the LDT signing. I think Jones is actually more cooked than him, and LDT will see a slight rejuvination after getting healthy and playing behind the best O-Line in the league, and for a guy who knows very well how to use him, while also not being anything close to a feature back.

For 2010-2011 I'd rather have LDT than Jones. Obviously Jones had the much better year last season, but if we're talking only about the small window for which they were signed and what is being asked of them, I'm fine with swapping LDT for Jones.

I agree. LDT should be good for the 10 or so carries a game he'll get. I never thought TJ was a great halfback anyway, it seemed like he was somewhat easy to tackle...always seemed to go down after the first hit. His success was a combination of him being a capable NFL hb and the play of the o-line.

keg411
03-15-10, 01:21 PM

Agree with this.

dabomb2045
03-15-10, 06:15 PM
I dont get how Jones is more "cooked" then Tomlinson. Tomlinson has done nothing the past two seasons. Jones had another real good season and tailed off towards the end when he was less then 100%.

He prob can no longer handle 300+ carries anymore but he def isnt finished. Tomlinson is done IMO and I dont see how he helps the Jets at all.

RYMASTER or Ryan_Yankees
03-15-10, 07:15 PM
The Giants won a "coin toss" *cough cough* and have won the right to host the first game at the new 50/50, joint stadium. Giants Sunday afternoon of week 1, Jets Monday night of week 1.

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2010/03/giants_and_jets_to_both_play_h.html

Interestingly, the NFL's press release says Goodell flipped the coin last Friday, one day before the Jets posted on their web site a coin flip was to come.

BillBuckner
03-15-10, 09:19 PM
The Giants won a "coin toss" *cough cough* and have won the right to host the first game at the new 50/50, joint stadium. Giants Sunday afternoon of week 1, Jets Monday night of week 1.

Yeah I chuckled a little bit when I heard too. Don't really mind though, a MNF prime time game isn't a bad way to start either.

yankeesAZ
03-15-10, 10:26 PM

Don't know why the NFL would want the weaker Giants team opening the new stadium.

Yankees1962
03-16-10, 06:39 AM
Don't know why the NFL would want the weaker Giants team opening the new stadium.
They were weaker last season that doesn't mean it will be that way this upcoming season. Also, the Giants is still more of an elite franchise than the Jets.

Brick Tamland
03-16-10, 08:13 AM

Weaker? You mean the NY team that's won a SB in the past 5 years, won the division twice, and made the playoffs 4 out of the last 5 seasons? Yeah I have no idea why they'd want the weaker Giants when they could have the powerhouse NY Jets...

RYMASTER or Ryan_Yankees
03-16-10, 09:49 AM
Out, Giants trolls.

RYMASTER or Ryan_Yankees
03-16-10, 09:50 AM
http://www.dnainfo.com/20100316/manhattan/jets-owner-woody-johnson-outraged-over-nfl-coin-flip-that-landed-giants-new-stadium-opener

MANHATTAN — Jets owner Woody Johnson is flipping mad over a decision by the NFL to award the opening game at New Meadowlands Stadium to the New York Giants.

Both teams will call the stadium home, but the NFL decided who would have the first game by a coin flip. After word of the decision was released on Monday, Johnson issued a statement blasting the league and Commissioner Roger Goodell

"An NFL coin toss has a few fundamental elements that are missing here, most notably the presence of the teams involved," Johnson said in the statement posted on the Jets' Web site. "That's how it's always done in the league, whether it's determining the order of the draft or deciding who's going to kick off the game."

Melan-cynic
03-16-10, 11:41 AM
Couldn't care less about who opens the stadium [I'd rather close it with an AFC championship game], but that is pretty dirty.

Brick Tamland
03-16-10, 11:58 AM
Couldn't care less about who opens the stadium [I'd rather close it with an AFC championship game], but that is pretty dirty.

I believe the AFC title game was in Indy...

Although that's a fair point...

Melan-cynic
03-16-10, 12:07 PM
I believe the AFC title game was in Indy...Huh? Was talking about this year..

Brick Tamland
03-16-10, 12:09 PM
Huh? Was talking about this year..

Oh haha. Sorry, misunderstood.

The Jets have a good shot at getting back there with that defense. Your boy Sanchez is gonna have to step up his game though that's for sure.

Melan-cynic
03-16-10, 12:12 PM
The Jets have a good shot at getting back there with that defense. Your boy Sanchez is gonna have to step up his game though that's for sure.Yeah, he played really poorly in the playoffs...

Thanks for the informed advice and clearing up where the AFC championship game was held last year.

Brick Tamland
03-16-10, 12:34 PM
Yeah, he played really poorly in the playoffs...

Thanks for the informed advice and clearing up where the AFC championship game was held last year.

I wasn't aware that a nice three game stretch erased his 20 regular season picks and 63.0 QB rating, my mistake, beg your pardon.

Your welcome for clearing up the venue of the AFC Championship. I assumed 'closing it' meant closing the doors on the place, not ending the season. Again, begging your pardon.

Melan-cynic
03-16-10, 12:40 PM
I wasn't aware that a nice three game stretch erased his 20 regular season picks and 63.0 QB rating, my mistake, beg your pardon. Rookie quarterbacks need to step it up? Groundbreaking, Giants fan.

When I need advice about the QB position I'll be sure to take it from the fan base which crucified Eli Manning & prayed for his release.......and then kissed his feet after leading them to a championship.

Snatch Catch
03-16-10, 12:42 PM
I wasn't aware that a nice three game stretch erased his 20 regular season picks and 63.0 QB rating, my mistake, beg your pardon.

Really? Isn't your team's QB Eli Manning?

I'd figure you'd be very familiar with that concept.

Brick Tamland
03-16-10, 12:46 PM
Really? Isn't your team's QB Eli Manning?

I'd figure you'd be very familiar with that concept.

That's rich. Eli's never throw more picks than TDs in a full season on the job. Oh and he's never had a QB rating under 70 in a full season. Oh and he's a SB MVP. But yeah, otherwise they're real similar.

Snatch Catch
03-16-10, 12:48 PM
That's rich. Eli's never throw more picks than TDs in a full season on the job. Oh and he's never had a QB rating under 70 in a full season. Oh and he's a SB MVP. But yeah, otherwise they're real similar.

Thanks for proving my point.

Brick Tamland
03-16-10, 12:51 PM
Thanks for proving my point.

Sure thing Snatch. Write me when your boy Markie Mark cracks a 93 QB rating.

Melan-cynic
03-16-10, 12:58 PM
Eli Manning's rookie year: 1-6 record over 7 starts [9 games], 48% cmp% and a whopping QB rating of 55.4...

Give me a call when Sanchez is 28..

Snatch Catch
03-16-10, 01:08 PM
Sure thing Snatch. Write me when your boy Markie Mark cracks a 93 QB rating.

No problem.

For clarification, should I still write you if it happens in a season where the Jets suck and miss the playoffs because their running game is trash?

Also, we both know the "full-season" designation by you is garbage - in Eli's rookie year he posted a QB rating of 55.4 over half a season with more INTs than TDs.

Oh, and Sanchez isn't "my boy." I have as much skepticism about him as any Jets fan, but I find it funny that someone who has followed Eli Manning's career is going to point towards a playoff stretch as not meaningful to a QB's status.

RYMASTER or Ryan_Yankees
03-16-10, 01:10 PM
Out, Giants trolls.

I repeat.

Snatch Catch
03-16-10, 01:11 PM
I repeat.

He's not trolling in all honesty. He believes that Eli Manning is a top tier NFL QB and a franchise cornerstone. It's a debate that goes on frequently in the NYC area.

RYMASTER or Ryan_Yankees
03-16-10, 01:12 PM
He's not trolling in all honesty. He believes that Eli Manning is a top tier NFL QB and a franchise cornerstone. It's a debate that goes on frequently in the NYC area.

Great for him. Don't come in to the Jets thread to diss the Jets QB.

ny
03-16-10, 01:32 PM
Talk about ungrateful, the Jets should just be happy the Giants allow them to share the new giants stadium with them. The Gmen should make them play at citii field with the other JV team. :lol:

Melan-cynic
03-16-10, 01:59 PM
Insecurity is fascinating to observe. Hope you enjoy sharing the couch with the varsity for another January.

RYMASTER or Ryan_Yankees
03-16-10, 02:08 PM
Talk about ungrateful, the Jets should just be happy the Giants allow them to share the new giants stadium with them.

And split 50% of the cost, too. I'm sure the Giants aren't too upset about that.

The Gmen should make them play at citii field with the other JV team. :lol:

Whatever makes you feel like a big man.

Brick Tamland
03-16-10, 02:21 PM
Great for him. Don't come in to the Jets thread to diss the Jets QB.

I took offense to something Melan-cynic wrote and attacked Sanchez, which I shouldn't have done because I wouldn't want a Jets fan getting on Eli in the Giants forum so I apologize.

Snatch,

I do, however, contend that Eli is a top flight NFL QB, and I don't see the parallels yet with Sanchez. Perhaps I'm wrong.

Enjoy your team Jets fans, you have a very good club. Peace.

b-ball-lunachick
03-16-10, 02:23 PM
FWIW - I'm a Giants fan but that coin flip was ridiculous...

PS - any of the Jets fans that want to "run into Sanchez" at any point, I know most of the places he's been in my neighborhood regularly...supposedly he's a very nice guy from all accounts. :)

RYMASTER or Ryan_Yankees
03-16-10, 02:27 PM
FWIW - I'm a Giants fan but that coin flip was ridiculous...

PS - any of the Jets fans that want to "run into Sanchez" at any point, I know most of the places he's been in my neighborhood regularly...supposedly he's a very nice guy from all accounts. :)

You're just a Sanchez groupie. :P

RYMASTER or Ryan_Yankees
03-16-10, 02:34 PM
I took offense to something Melan-cynic wrote and attacked Sanchez, which I shouldn't have done because I wouldn't want a Jets fan getting on Eli in the Giants forum so I apologize.

Snatch,

I do, however, contend that Eli is a top flight NFL QB, and I don't see the parallels yet with Sanchez. Perhaps I'm wrong.

Enjoy your team Jets fans, you have a very good club. Peace.

Apologies for calling you a troll, but being a Jets fan has given me a complex. :lol:

Mr Coffee
03-16-10, 02:46 PM
They should have had them play each other. It looks like that's going to happen in 2011, so they should have just switched a game from the out-of-conference 2010 and 2011 schedules.

Melan-cynic
03-16-10, 03:15 PM
And sacrifice a home gate? Good luck with that in its inaugural season.

b-ball-lunachick
03-16-10, 03:20 PM
You're just a Sanchez groupie. :P
I am not :D it's just you walk into a pizza place, and there's his signed jersey hanging there...then you ask about it and the guy is very excited to tell you about him and how often he comes in there.

The oddest one is that he goes to Kings every Friday night..I guess that's when he likes to food shop. :D

Axon
03-16-10, 04:09 PM

Where's he live, hoboken?

PlsDontTearDownY.S.
03-16-10, 04:11 PM
Honestly...I'd rather have the MNF game. Not a big deal to me. I'm just thankful to Woody for causing a big enough distraction to distract NY sports radio from Tiger Woods and NCAA chatter with football for a day or two.

Mark19
03-16-10, 04:13 PM
The Giants are still in the afterglow of their SB win but I think most objective football analysts would agree that the Jets have brighter prospects for the immediate future.

I like to see both teams succeed but it is unfortunate the Jets continue to be considered such dramatic underdogs a few months after such a strong performance to finish the season.

b-ball-lunachick
03-16-10, 04:18 PM
Where's he live, hoboken?
Nope, Bedminster.

PlsDontTearDownY.S.
03-16-10, 04:25 PM
Talk about ungrateful, the Jets should just be happy the Giants allow them to share the new giants stadium with them. The Gmen should make them play at citii field with the other JV team. :lol:

Nice. Laughing at your own joke I see. You should be grateful to the Jets for showing your team how to properly close GIANTS stadium after that disgraceful, historically embarrassing and epically disastrous show that your boys put on vs Carolina. Were you one of the ones who left that final game, in what should have been a memorable send off, by midway through the 3rd quarter? If that's how the Giants franchise showed its appreciation for the stadium that actually bore its name, then how can you possibly lay claim to the new one?

Melan-cynic
03-16-10, 04:26 PM
Nope, Bedminster.Stalker..

yankeesAZ
03-16-10, 04:34 PM
Weaker? You mean the NY team that's won a SB in the past 5 years, won the division twice, and made the playoffs 4 out of the last 5 seasons? Yeah I have no idea why they'd want the weaker Giants when they could have the powerhouse NY Jets...

That's history. Right now, the Jets are a better team and deserve to have the opener.

BillBuckner
03-16-10, 06:08 PM
As a Jets fan, like I said before, it doesn't really matter to me because a Monday night prime time game is almost as good as playing the first game. And it's not like they're not playing pre-season games there beforehand anyway. I'm not upset, but I am quite irritated by the manner in which this "coin toss" was handled. I take Goodell's word, but conducting it without a representative from both teams present was inappropriate and he owes Woody Johnson an apology.

dabomb2045
03-16-10, 10:00 PM
Am I the only one who doesnt care which team opens the stadium? I mean is it that big of a deal? Its something nobody will remember the week after it happens.

Seems like alot of whining and bickering over something thats nothing.

The FUTURE
03-16-10, 11:09 PM
replacing Lt with Jones was a biggg MISTAKE

DaSh 1s
03-16-10, 11:17 PM
replacing Lt with Jones was a biggg MISTAKE.

why?

dabomb2045
03-16-10, 11:18 PM

why?

Because Jones is much better at this point in his career.

DaSh 1s
03-16-10, 11:22 PM
Eli Manning's rookie year: 1-6 record over 7 starts [9 games], 48% cmp% and a whopping QB rating of 55.4...

Give me a call when Sanchez is 28..

Don't mean to troll, but this post is beyond comical. You can only hope Sanchez becomes into the QB Eli is currently. And I don't even think Eli is half as good as others say. Lets not kid ourselves here...

keg411
03-16-10, 11:23 PM
Maybe Jones was better because the Jets OL >>>>>>>> the Chargers OL.

As for the stadium thing, I don't care.

And Jeanne, I had heard before about where Sanchez lives. And I have yet to stalk him :D.

DaSh 1s
03-16-10, 11:24 PM
Because Jones is much better at this point in his career.
Apparently not

Melan-cynic
03-16-10, 11:35 PM
Don't mean to troll, but this post is beyond comical. You can only hope Sanchez becomes into the QB Eli is currently. Lets not kid ourselves here...Somebody didn't read this thread well.

I said Sanchez is a 22 year-old rookie. Eli was garbage his first year and his second and did not put up the 93 rating season until he was 28, over 5 years ahead of Sanchez. So, why don't we wait on comparisons until after he is a rookie.

I would've thought you would've seen the post I was replying to as well as Snatch's post which came after the one you quoted considering it says the same thing.

Big swing and a miss there Dash, which was pretty comical in and of itself.

Melan-cynic
03-16-10, 11:38 PM
Am I the only one who doesnt care which team opens the stadium? I mean is it that big of a deal? Its something nobody will remember the week after it happens.

Seems like alot of whining and bickering over something thats nothing.Nope..

Snatch Catch
03-16-10, 11:49 PM
Don't mean to troll, but this post is beyond comical. You can only hope Sanchez becomes into the QB Eli is currently. And I don't even think Eli is half as good as others say. Lets not kid ourselves here...

If Sanchez becomes Eli, I'd be pretty disappointed, being totally honest. My hopes are that if the FO thought highly enough to move up and potentially overdraft a QB, they'd have enough assurance that he'd develop into an elite player. In terms of his individual performance, I'd be unhappy with Sanchez if he mimics Eli's career so far.

And before you go there, yes, I know that the Giants won a SB and Eli was the MVP. He's good enough that he can play very well for several games in a row, I'm not disputing that.

Also, please don't misconstrue this as me saying that I think Sanchez is going to be better than Eli, because it's not. As I said earlier, I'm as skeptical as any Jets fan about him, however I think Eli's career-to-date performance is a pretty low bar for a top-5 QB pick in terms of expectations.

Brick Tamland
03-17-10, 08:23 AM
If Sanchez becomes Eli, I'd be pretty disappointed, being totally honest. My hopes are that if the FO thought highly enough to move up and potentially overdraft a QB, they'd have enough assurance that he'd develop into an elite player. In terms of his individual performance, I'd be unhappy with Sanchez if he mimics Eli's career so far.

And before you go there, yes, I know that the Giants won a SB and Eli was the MVP. He's good enough that he can play very well for several games in a row, I'm not disputing that.

Also, please don't misconstrue this as me saying that I think Sanchez is going to be better than Eli, because it's not. As I said earlier, I'm as skeptical as any Jets fan about him, however I think Eli's career-to-date performance is a pretty low bar for a top-5 QB pick in terms of expectations.

Snatch, you are obviously entitled to your opinion, but how can you say that? Take a look at the top 5 picks in any draft over the past 10 years. Who can you name whose career has been better than Eli's? Palmer? Rivers?

Either of those two guys would be fair arguments but still, you gotta respect the fact that Eli's the one who's got a ring. And I think it bears repeating that, in that endeavor, Eli was one of the big reasons why they won that SB. He wasn't just along for the ride.

Snatch Catch
03-17-10, 09:26 AM
Snatch, you are obviously entitled to your opinion, but how can you say that? Take a look at the top 5 picks in any draft over the past 10 years. Who can you name whose career has been better than Eli's? Palmer? Rivers?

Either of those two guys would be fair arguments but still, you gotta respect the fact that Eli's the one who's got a ring. And I think it bears repeating that, in that endeavor, Eli was one of the big reasons why they won that SB. He wasn't just along for the ride.

I don't dispute at all that Eli played exceptionally in that playoff run (they also had their defense playing at an even higher level). I just don't see anything else he's done as being as anywhere noticeably above mediocre or solid.

If the Jets are going to make the move they made to acquire a franchise QB, I'd want him to be a legit guy to build a team around for a decade or more. Despite the Giants doing just that, I don't think he's that type of player.

For example, I heard a debate on the radio a couple of weeks ago that the host was going on and on about how he'd take Eli over Rodgers in a heartbeat because Eli has won a championship. When it comes to wanting to build a team around a QB going forward, I don't even think Eli and Rodgers are in the same sentence, personally.

I have no idea if Sanchez is that guy, but considering the move they made to get him, I'm putting the bar at a career like Aaron Rodgers' rather than a pedestrian one like Eli's.