PDA

View Full Version : The 2010 New York Jets Thread

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

AMYanks
08-10-10, 12:19 AM
Woody doesn't think Revis will play for the Jets this season.

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/news/story?id=5449302

Probably just a negotiating ploy, but interesting none the less. I'm usually supportive of players in this situation, but Mevis is being incredibly greedy.

b_joseph
08-10-10, 09:08 AM
Mevis?

When you are the best...you know you are the best...the coaches know you are the best..the fans know you are the best.
It isnt greedy to want the best money.

Melan-cynic
08-10-10, 10:38 AM
Woody doesn't think Revis will play for the Jets this season.

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/news/story?id=5449302

Probably just a negotiating ploy, but interesting none the less. I'm usually supportive of players in this situation, but Mevis is being incredibly greedy.Mevis? :lol: Another fan blaming the player instead of the system. We have no idea who is lowballing and who is being irrational regarding the contract talks.

Woody saying Revis is going to follow in his uncle's footsteps is most likely a PR move, nothing more.

Jax Teller
08-10-10, 10:54 AM
I wish this was put to bed already. Grumble.

AMYanks
08-10-10, 02:12 PM
Mevis?

When you are the best...you know you are the best...the coaches know you are the best..the fans know you are the best.
It isnt greedy to want the best money.

Mevis? :lol: Another fan blaming the player instead of the system. We have no idea who is lowballing and who is being irrational regarding the contract talks.

Woody saying Revis is going to follow in his uncle's footsteps is most likely a PR move, nothing more.

Please. I support the players more often than not. But this is clearly a case of Revis getting bad advice from an agent who's out of touch with reality (and seemingly doesn't understand the current state of the CBA and its effect on guaranteed money) and an uncle who is bitter towards the system.

So yes, you're right, it's not the player's fault. Just the people around him.

Besides, if the organization is going to give out ridiculously large contracts that could seriously jeopardize the future of the franchise, they should give it to Mangold first, who plays a much more important position.

Melan-cynic
08-10-10, 02:50 PM
Please. I support the players more often than not. But this is clearly a case of Revis getting bad advice from an agent who's out of touch with reality (and seemingly doesn't understand the current state of the CBA and its effect on guaranteed money) and an uncle who is bitter towards the system.Based on what? You have no idea what he's been offered or how much money he's been guaranteed in said offers.

Besides, if the organization is going to give out ridiculously large contracts that could seriously jeopardize the future of the franchise, they should give it to Mangold first, who plays a much more important position.Wow. Revis is the best and most important player on the team because he, by himself, makes Rex Ryan's defense possible. Without a corner with his elite cover skills and innate ability to completely shutout an opposing team's best WR [often their best offensive player overall] the Jets defense would not work.

So no, although I love Mangold and understand his importance to the O-line, he is not the more important player or position. CB and S has become dramatically more important over the last 10+ years than it ever has before.

And you make as if the Jets will guys like Revis are a dime a dozen and that giving him a big deal could jeopardize the future of the franchise. That's just silly. You know what would seriously jeopardize the franchise? Not locking up the best player on the team.

Snatch Catch
08-10-10, 02:53 PM
The Jets defense would absolutely work, it just wouldn't work as well.

They would still be one of the better defensive teams in the league. Top 10ish.

Melan-cynic
08-10-10, 02:56 PM
The Jets defense would absolutely work, it just wouldn't work as well.

They would still be one of the better defensive teams in the league. Top 10ish.Yeah it would work. Just not work well. lol.

Ryan's blitzes would get torn apart much more often than not without Revis anchoring the secondary. That's not even an opinion.

Snatch Catch
08-10-10, 03:00 PM
I think that the Jets would still be a good defensive team without Revis. They just would have no chance at being great or seperating themselves from the entire league the way they are with him.

AMYanks
08-10-10, 03:08 PM
Based on what? You have no idea what he's been offered or how much money he's been guaranteed in said offers.

He's already said he wants at least what Asomugha got, which is ridiculous. And a while ago he turned down a 4 yr. $55M offer on top of his current contract, but turned it down because it "only" averaged out to $10M per year.

Wow. Revis is the best and most important player on the team because he, by himself, makes Rex Ryan's defense possible. Without a corner with his elite cover skills and innate ability to completely shutout an opposing team's best WR [often their best offensive player overall] the Jets defense would not work.

So no, although I love Mangold and understand his importance to the O-line, he is not the more important player or position. CB and S has become dramatically more important over the last 10+ years then it ever has before.

And you make as if the Jets will have guys like Revis are a dime a dozen and that giving him a big deal could jeopardize the future of the franchise. That's just silly. You know what would seriously jeopardize the franchise? Not locking up the best player on the team.

Ryan has built great defenses in his career without an elite CB. That's what makes Ryan such a brilliant defensive coach, he doesn't NEED an elite player at any specific position to make it great.

I know players like Revis don't grow on trees. He's the best defensive player in the NFL, imo, and we are a much worse team this year without him. But based on what he's already turned down and the fact he's not accepting anything less than the ridiculous contract that Asomugha got, the contract he gets could cripple the cap for years.

I think, in the end, the team will come to an agreement that works for both sides, but Revis needs to realize he can't take this kind of stance when he has 3 yrs. left on his contract. As great a player as he is, no team is going to give him what he wants with this much time left on the rookie deal (which he held out for).

Melan-cynic
08-10-10, 03:25 PM
He's already said he wants at least what Asomugha got, which is ridiculous. And a while ago he turned down a 4 yr. $55M offer on top of his current contract, but turned it down because it "only" averaged out to $10M per year.Once again, from who have you seen that aside from speculating reporters? It could be true or it could be posturing on the part of the Jets. Either way, you can't come up with one direct quote from Revis or his agent saying such so it holds zero water for me.

Ryan has built great defenses in his career without an elite CB. That's what makes Ryan such a brilliant defensive coach, he doesn't NEED an elite player at any specific position to make it great.
You need to do some factchecking.

1 - Rex was only the defensive coordinator from 2005-2008. Marvin Lewis should get a lot of the credit you're laying at Ryan's feet.
2 - The Ravens also had plenty of ballhawks and Ryan had Ed Reed who, technically not a CB, is one of the best safties of all time. Kind of a major oversight.
3 - The Jets don't have the monster front 7 or elite pass rushers that Ryan had in Baltimore which is why I said his defense wouldn't work [regarding the Jets] without Revis.

AMYanks
08-10-10, 03:50 PM
You need to do some factchecking.

1 - Rex was only the defensive coordinator from 2005-2008. Marvin Lewis should get a lot of the credit you're laying at Ryan's feet.
2 - The Ravens also had ballhawks like Ed Reed who is not technically a CB but may be one of the best safties of all time.
3 - The Jets don't have the monster front 7 or the elite pass rushers that Ryan had in Baltimore which is why I said his defense wouldn't regarding the Jets without Revis.

I realize Ryan was only DC from 2005-2008. They still had great defenses in that time period, and it wasn't just what Lewis and Nolan had built before him. I also think you underrate the Jets front seven.

I'm not going to continue arguing this, because despite my anger right now I do still love Revis and I don't want to make it seem like I don't. Without him, I think the defense will still be great, and with him it could be something quite special, on an all-time level. I just hope something gets done soon.

Melan-cynic
08-10-10, 04:28 PM
I realize Ryan was only DC from 2005-2008. They still had great defenses in that time period, and it wasn't just what Lewis and Nolan had built before him. I also think you underrate the Jets front seven.

I'm not going to continue arguing this, because despite my anger right now I do still love Revis and I don't want to make it seem like I don't. Without him, I think the defense will still be great, and with him it could be something quite special, on an all-time level. I just hope something gets done soon.Fair enough. Agree to disagree. But trust me, I do not underrate Rex. I was on a rampage advocating the Jets hire him and not Cowher, Shanahan, etc.

kan_t
08-11-10, 05:49 AM
Do you have something to back that up?

PinstripePride
08-11-10, 08:06 AM
Word on the street is he's asking for 10 years, 160 million. Not sure if this is rumor or fact, but if it's fact, it's laughable.

Snatch Catch
08-11-10, 08:56 AM
Eff all this Revis nonsense! Hard Knocks starts tonight! Set your DVRs if they aren't already!

If you haven't seen the preview:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5AF0LdJcUo&NR=1

AMYanks
08-11-10, 02:51 PM
Do you have something to back that up?

He's able to make adjustments. Obviously he needs great players on defense to make it great, but my point is he doesn't need them at specific positions. He can adjust his defensive philosophy depending on personnel and still be successful. Look how the run defense improved last year when Pouha replaced Jenkins.

AMYanks
08-11-10, 03:00 PM
Word on the street is he's asking for 10 years, 160 million. Not sure if this is rumor or fact, but if it's fact, it's laughable.

According to this article, he is, and the Jets offer is more than fair.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/2010/08/11/2010-08-11_40m_gap_guarantees_big_trouble.html

GordonGecko
08-11-10, 03:09 PM
Here are the lovely people representing Darrelle Mevi$ who are clearly the victims here:

http://www.sffootball.net/index.asp

http://www.sffootball.net/staff/neilschwartz_small.jpg
Neil S. Schwartz
Office (914) 525-2932
Fax (845) 369-8304
neil@sffootball.net

http://www.sffootball.net/staff/jonathonfeinsod_small.jpg
Jonathan Feinsold
Office (914) 939-7895
Fax (914) 939-5355
jonathan@sffootball.net

kan_t
08-11-10, 03:14 PM
He's able to make adjustments. Obviously he needs great players on defense to make it great, but my point is he doesn't need them at specific positions. He can adjust his defensive philosophy depending on personnel and still be successful. Look how the run defense improved last year when Pouha replaced Jenkins.
In the past he didn't only have great players on defense, he had all-time great HOFer in his defense system. When you have those kind of players, sure it's easy for him not to rely on specific positions. And although the Jets have lots of good defense players, only Revis has the quality like Lewis and Reed.

PlsDontTearDownY.S.
08-11-10, 03:26 PM
I'm usually a player guy but Revis has pushed the limits of even my patience. The CBA sucks, but Revis is part of the same union that agreed to it. He's essentially saying that he doesn't give a damn about salary cap implications and the ability of the Jets to sign other players, he just wants to do him. That's fine but he has to consider that the Raiders giving a cornerback QB money doesn't mean the Jets have to fall in line. Let him hold out for an entire season, or even the rest of his current contract. Good luck finding a team that will give him 100+ mil after not having played a down in 2 years.

AMYanks
08-11-10, 03:27 PM
In the past he didn't only have great players on defense, he had all-time great HOFer in his defense system. When you have those kind of players, sure it's easy for him not to rely on specific positions. And although the Jets have lots of good defense players, only Revis has the quality like Lewis and Reed.

Reed, yes. But you're mistaking Ray Lewis circa 2000 with the Ray Lewis that played under Rex Ryan. He had clearly lost a step. David Harris right now is as good, probably better, than Lewis was when Ryan coached that defense.

My point through out has been that, of course the defense won't be as good without Revis, but it would still be very, very, very good. With this coach and the talent they have, top 10 and probably top 5, imo.

PlsDontTearDownY.S.
08-11-10, 03:29 PM
What sucks is that the Jets sorely need Revis. There's been a lot of talk that the Jets will be fine without him, come on. Maybe in 2011 and beyond. But not having Revis this year would rule us out of Super Bowl contention, IMO

kan_t
08-11-10, 03:34 PM
Reed, yes. But you're mistaking Ray Lewis circa 2000 with the Ray Lewis that played under Rex Ryan. He had clearly lost a step. David Harris right now is as good, probably better, than Lewis was when Ryan coached that defense.

What makes Lewis great is not only his ability, but also his leadership on the field. I take Ray Lewis circa 2000 over Harris without second thought.

AMYanks
08-11-10, 03:37 PM
What makes Lewis great is not only his ability, but also his leadership on the field. I take Ray Lewis circa 2000 over Harris without second thought.

That's not what I said. I said you're mistaking Lewis circa 2000 for the Lewis that Ryan had. Lewis from 10 years ago was as good as any LB not named LT in history. That's not the guy that Ryan had.

PinstripePride
08-11-10, 05:47 PM
What sucks is that the Jets sorely need Revis. There's been a lot of talk that the Jets will be fine without him, come on. Maybe in 2011 and beyond. But not having Revis this year would rule us out of Super Bowl contention, IMO

Agreed. I want to say f*ck him, let him sit out the season, who cares? but the truth of the matter is that if he does, we go nowhere.

Snatch Catch
08-11-10, 06:00 PM

I agree with this - without Revis the SB talk is a joke.

I still think they'd have a good defense though.

GordonGecko
08-11-10, 06:42 PM
I agree with this - without Revis the SB talk is a joke.
Have to disagree. Without the Rex Ryan system Revis isn't the same standout player. The Jets have defense down, Revis will not be the difference if they win or lose. The difference is going to come on offense, and it's especially on Sanchez's shoulders. Revis makes the Jets defense better but they don't need him to win.

Snatch Catch
08-11-10, 08:12 PM
Have to disagree. Without the Rex Ryan system Revis isn't the same standout player. The Jets have defense down, Revis will not be the difference if they win or lose. The difference is going to come on offense, and it's especially on Sanchez's shoulders. Revis makes the Jets defense better but they don't need him to win.

I agree with your last line.

I was saying that without Revis, this SB hype we've been hearing is a joke. He's the difference between good and legit contender in my view.

AMYanks
08-11-10, 10:03 PM
Hard Knocks was great.

Tannenbaum after the meeting: "They haven't said one thing I agree with." :lol:

Snatch Catch
08-11-10, 10:04 PM
Rex lived up to the unrealistic expectations already.

Melan-cynic
08-11-10, 11:42 PM
HK was spectacular.

P.S. - Gecko, you're on crack if you think the Jets are Super Bowl contenders sans Darrelle.

GordonGecko
08-12-10, 07:15 AM
HK was spectacular.

P.S. - Gecko, you're on crack if you think the Jets are Super Bowl contenders sans Darrelle.
No way, Jets defense will be solid no matter what because of Rex, they'll win or lose the super bowl with their offense

Jace
08-12-10, 07:41 AM
I dont get this "they aren't a Super bowl contender if they lose one player, but they definitely are if they have him" thing. football is pretty damned fluky from year to year, primarily because of the razor-thin difference between success and failure, and injuries... revis is amazing, but they are a long shot to win with him and a longer shot to win without him. I dont think they suddenly are no longer a team that could possibly win the super bowl without him

GordonGecko
08-12-10, 07:48 AM
I dont get this "they aren't a Super bowl contender if they lose one player, but they definitely are if they have him" thing. football is pretty damned fluky from year to year, primarily because of the razor-thin difference between success and failure, and injuries... revis is amazing, but they are a long shot to win with him and a longer shot to win without him. I dont think they suddenly are no longer a team that could possibly win the super bowl without him
I think one player can make the difference namely the quarter back. What are the Colts without Payton Manning? On the other hand the Patriots went 11-5 without Brady 2 years ago so yeah anything can happen

Jace
08-12-10, 07:57 AM
Sure, the quarterback is definitely a different situation than any other player

Snatch Catch
08-12-10, 09:01 AM
From Schefter.

http://twitter.com/Adam_Schefter/status/20975885695

Fact: After watching Hard Knocks last night, players are texting their agents this morning that they want to go play for Rex Ryan.

RYMASTER or Ryan_Yankees
08-12-10, 09:08 AM
I wish I had HBO. :mad:

Tehasguard
08-12-10, 10:26 AM

Does someone know a place where I can watch the episode? ^^

PinstripePride
08-12-10, 10:44 AM

+1. I'm HBO-less as well, and would love to watch.....

Melan-cynic
08-12-10, 10:48 AM
No way, Jets defense will be solid no matter what because of Rex, they'll win or lose the super bowl with their offenseKeep proving my point.

Without Revis they're a solid defense. There will be plenty of solid defenses next year. With Revis they are a dominant defense and much more likely to get to the Super Bowl. He's the best player on their team so arguing otherwise is futile.

BTW, I know someone who works with the Jets and he said Revis would've accepted the Jets' most recent offer but his agents refused. Looks like Revis needs to pull an A-Rod, go to MikeT and work this thing out himself.

Snatch Catch
08-12-10, 11:15 AM
You said that without Revis the Jets defense would not work well and would get torn apart, though. You didn't say they were solid.

I agree with you about the SB aspect of things (Revis=legit SB shot).

CyYoung4Vazquez
08-12-10, 11:19 AM
I watched Hard Knocks last night. You guys have Rex Ryan, and the Bills hired Chan Gailey. Chan Gailey. God it really sucks being a Bills fan.

Melan-cynic
08-12-10, 11:33 AM
You said that without Revis the Jets defense would not work well and would get torn apart, though. You didn't say they were solid.Semantics and show me where I said the Jets D would get "torn apart". Never did.

Also never implied the Jets defense would become the worst in the league without Revis. I meant the D would drop considerably without him and Ryan's ability to blitz at will [by sending more guys and keeping Revis on an island] would as well. Of course the Jets defense can be "solid" without Revis, but it won't dominant which is how Ryan's D "worked" last year and therefore they would not be a SB contender without him.

AMYanks
08-12-10, 02:36 PM
Jets, Revis' agents reach truce; negotiations now confidential.

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/news/story?id=5458269

I guess Revis' agents saw Hard Knocks last night and realized that, now, everyone will realize how off base they are. I really hope Revis is the last relationship the Jets have with these two idiots.

PlsDontTearDownY.S.
08-12-10, 03:34 PM
Jets, Revis' agents reach truce; negotiations now confidential.

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/news/story?id=5458269

I guess Revis' agents saw Hard Knocks last night and realized that, now, everyone will realize how off base they are. I really hope Revis is the last relationship the Jets have with these two idiots.

Tannenbaum's comments on the ride back from the meeting were definitely done with hard knocks in mind. Great way to get the message out. Players probably don't spend hours listening to the Fan or 1050, but I'm sure they watch Hard Knocks.

Melan-cynic
08-12-10, 03:41 PM
Oh yeah, def playing to the camera.

PinstripePride
08-13-10, 08:38 AM

+1. I'm HBO-less as well, and would love to watch.....

I'll give props where props are due - a user on the Gang Green forums has uploaded the entire first episode for people to download. The link is below. I'm in the process of downloading (taking about an hour), so I don't know how good the quality is, but it seems to work great for everyone over on TGG. :D

http://www.uploadmachine.com/file/50631/Hardknocks-Jets-E01-avi.html

PinstripePride
08-13-10, 09:09 AM
FYI, I just finished downloading, and it's the full episode and the quality is borderline HD. This ROCKS.

RYMASTER or Ryan_Yankees
08-13-10, 09:17 AM
Sweet deal. Can't wait to check it out.

Snatch Catch
08-13-10, 09:44 AM
Sweet deal. Can't wait to check it out.

Here's a preview of what you're in for:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywrNyZ_4TPs

RYMASTER or Ryan_Yankees
08-13-10, 10:29 AM

Holy crap, I'm downloading this right now. :lol:

just-blaze
08-14-10, 01:14 AM

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

:clap: :clap: :clap:

"How's that. Lets go get it"

I think some of the players were scared of him.

I love Rex Ryan.

GordonGecko
08-14-10, 02:29 PM
Here's the full Episode 1 of Hard Knocks (legal):
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-hard-knocks/09000d5d819ba5f2/Hard-Knocks-Training-Camp-with-the-New-York-Jets

RYMASTER or Ryan_Yankees
08-16-10, 06:20 AM
I'm seeing a lot of Jets hate out there.

:cool:

PlsDontTearDownY.S.
08-16-10, 01:03 PM

Yes, especially coming from my friends who are Giants fans. I love how they claim that they are "New York" fans, that they don't hate the Jets and want to see them do well unless they are playing the Giants. Please. Now that the Jets no longer play in GIANTS Stadium and have started making some serious noise, all I hear is "Sanchez is a cripple" or "Jets were lucky last year" and "It's still a Giants city" or "The Jets are gonna choke like they always do, they haven't won anything" ...so much for that New York love I guess

Melan-cynic
08-16-10, 01:22 PM
Sanchez is a "cripple"? What does that even mean?

Tell your Giant friends they need to learn how to talk ----.

LongLiveBernie51!
08-16-10, 01:29 PM
Yes, especially coming from my friends who are Giants fans. I love how they claim that they are "New York" fans, that they don't hate the Jets and want to see them do well unless they are playing the Giants. Please. Now that the Jets no longer play in GIANTS Stadium and have started making some serious noise, all I hear is "Sanchez is a cripple" or "Jets were lucky last year" and "It's still a Giants city" or "The Jets are gonna choke like they always do, they haven't won anything" ...so much for that New York love I guess

I wouldn't mind seeing the Jets do well as long as it doesn't come at the expense of the Giants.

I was even rooting for your team last postseason. Sanchez is fun to watch.

Melan-cynic
08-16-10, 01:45 PM
I'm seeing a lot of Jets hate out there.http://turnonthejets.com/2010/08/15/your-2010-guide-to-jets-haters/

MTYankee23
08-16-10, 02:00 PM
http://turnonthejets.com/2010/08/15/your-2010-guide-to-jets-haters/

No one hates teams that are irrelevant. Enjoy the hate!

That will be the last* nice thing I say about the Jets until after the season unless they're playing the Colts.

*Revis is a sick CB, that falls under the category of things that go without saying.

GordonGecko
08-16-10, 02:09 PM
It doesn't look good for Revis, I don't see him backing down and I can't imagine the Jets would ruin their payroll prospects by offering Aso money. Revis has got to wake up and at least see this chart:

http://img36.imageshack.us/img36/4406/77067444.jpg

Melan-cynic
08-16-10, 02:25 PM
It's not Revis, it's his agents who have to wake up.

PlsDontTearDownY.S.
08-16-10, 02:26 PM
Sanchez is a "cripple"? What does that even mean?

Tell your Giant friends they need to learn how to talk ----.

Related to the knee injury I would imagine...

Melan-cynic
08-16-10, 02:29 PM
Related to the knee injury I would imagine...I figured but it was a precautionary surgery and not some emergency operation. The point stands about their ----talking ability.

PlsDontTearDownY.S.
08-16-10, 02:32 PM
I figured but it was a precautionary surgery and not some emergency operation. The point stands about their ----talking ability.

It definitely does. Wine and cheese Giants fans lol

NyQuil
08-16-10, 04:12 PM

For the most part I don't care about your team. I do however hate your coach.

And I hate my freshman year roommates who were Jets fans but that's another story.

Melan-cynic
08-16-10, 04:15 PM
For the most part I don't care about your team. I do however hate your coach.Because he has a pulse?

dabomb2045
08-16-10, 04:20 PM
Because he has a pulse?

He's a douchebag for sure. Its easy to see why everyone hates him outside of Jets land....lets be honest, we'd all hate him too if he was the HC of Miami or something like that.

montrealer
08-16-10, 04:50 PM

Try being a Steelers fan.................

AMYanks
08-16-10, 07:34 PM
Early on we're seeing why the Jets chose Tomlinson over Jones. He brings a dimension to the offense as a receiver that Jones didn't.

Maybe now the idiots like Francesa will realize that.

RYMASTER or Ryan_Yankees
08-16-10, 07:38 PM
For $1.6 billion, you'd think the ref's microphone would work.

GordonGecko
08-16-10, 07:40 PM
For $1.6 billion, you'd think the ref's microphone would work.
There was no money left after paying $1.5 billion in union overtime

Melan-cynic
08-16-10, 08:00 PM
Holy ballz did Eli just get smoked by Pace. Gotta fall on that ball in the reg season tho.

RYMASTER or Ryan_Yankees
08-16-10, 08:01 PM
Holy ballz did Eli just get smoked by Pace. Gotta fall on that ball in the reg season tho.

Now they have to get blood out of the Jets' pretty new carpet. :mad:

;)

dabomb2045
08-16-10, 08:02 PM
I hate this game. Just put in the scrubs....guys always get hurt in this meaningless Jets-Giants preseason game.

Melan-cynic
08-16-10, 08:03 PM
I hate this game. Just put in the scrubs....guys always get hurt in this meaningless Jets-Giants preseason game.Agreed. Just get us to the September injury free please.

PinstripePride
08-16-10, 09:02 PM
http://a.imageshack.us/img440/5443/clip0016.gif

RYMASTER or Ryan_Yankees
08-17-10, 06:05 AM
I liked how the Jets first stringers looked in the first half. I stopped watching at halftime and frankly don't care that they lost. At least no one got hurt.

Snatch Catch
08-18-10, 10:54 PM
This show is awesome.

I'm just going to post that after every episode.

Melan-cynic
08-18-10, 11:44 PM
Me too. Can't wait for Revis' return to be chronicled.

GordonGecko
08-19-10, 12:28 AM
Revis isn't returning, Jets are going to make an example out of him - no one player is greater than the team and we will not be extorted

That'll be chronicled, and yes, the show is awesome :)

Melan-cynic
08-19-10, 09:29 AM
Revis isn't returning, Jets are going to make an example out of him - no one player is greater than the team and we will not be extortedYes he is and the Jets would be morons to take this stand with the best player on their team.

BTW, are you even a Jets fan?

Snatch Catch
08-19-10, 09:43 AM
While I'd obviously rather him playing, I'd love it if they moved on and really went to work without him.

He's got three years left on his deal, not one like most holdout cases, so if they really decided to move on, he is in a world of trouble.

If he had one year left I wouldn't want them to move on but I think the huge mistake made by Revis and his agents was to do this with with three years left. All the Jets have to do is make it clear they're serious about playing without him and Revis is up a creek without a paddle. Of course that stance greatly comprimises their championship quest, but I also think it increases their odds of retaining the player at fair market value.

MTYankee23
08-19-10, 09:46 AM
Yes he is and the Jets would be morons to take this stand with the best player on their team.

I don't know, but as a Pats fan, I would really like to see the Jets make an example of Revis, who isn't just the best player on the team, but one of the best non-QBs in the league.

Melan-cynic
08-19-10, 09:46 AM
While I'd obviously rather him playing, I'd love it if they moved on and really went to work without him.Why. This isn't some malcontent who will hurt you if you overpay. I don't get this idea at all.

I don't know, but as a Pats fan, I would really like to see the Jets make an example of Revis, who isn't just the best player on the team, but one of the best non-QBs in the league.QFT.

GordonGecko
08-19-10, 09:48 AM
Yes he is and the Jets would be morons to take this stand with the best player on their team.

Why would they be morons? I have to argue the opposite, they would be morons to set a precedent where a player can extort for more money than he's worth and cost the signing of other players necessary to win. The Jets aren't going to back down on this and I don't blame them

yes to being a Jets fan

MTYankee23
08-19-10, 09:52 AM
It's simple really, you can't replace a guy who's a 95-99 guy on the 100 scale. He knows it. He might have 3 years left, but what if there's no football for one of them. What if the Jets, who start out BAL, NE, MIA, BUF, MIN start out 2-3 or 1-4 (with 2 key division losses?). At that point, is the team still going to make an example of him? Or are they going to pay him what he wants, while at the same time, already have the season in jeopardy because in a 16 game season, you really really want that bye, and chances are, you aren't catching a 5-0, 4-1 team.

Where's the blowback on signing him anyway? Is the compromise number between the two sides really going to set off the salary scale for the rest of the team? Are there any other Jets who can really claim that they're THE elite guy at a key position (and in the new NFL, there are only 2 of those, QB and CB, mayyyyybe LT).

Melan-cynic
08-19-10, 09:55 AM
Why would they be morons? I have to argue the opposite, they would be morons to set a precedent where a player can extort for more money than he's worth and cost the signing of other players necessary to win.This isn't little league. Everyone isn't and shouldn't be treated equal. I love the idea people have that this will set some precedent. Sorry, there just aren't many Revis-type players in the league, must less on the Jets.

If Braylon Edwards were pulling this act [even after Revis gets a big deal] you think this would even be a topic of conversation? No, it's because both Revis and the Jets know how special/valuable he is in the NFL.

Now if it comes out that Revis' camp is emulating the Boras/Damon negotiations in terms of stubbornness and irrationality, then the Jets will be vindicated. Until then, just show him the money.

EDIT:

It's simple really, you can't replace a guy who's a 95-99 guy on the 100 scale. He knows it. He might have 3 years left, but what if there's no football for one of them. What if the Jets, who start out BAL, NE, MIA, BUF, MIN start out 2-3 or 1-4 (with 2 key division losses?). At that point, is the team still going to make an example of him? Or are they going to pay him what he wants, while at the same time, already have the season in jeopardy because in a 16 game season, you really really want that bye, and chances are, you aren't catching a 5-0, 4-1 team.

Where's the blowback on signing him anyway? Is the compromise number between the two sides really going to set off the salary scale for the rest of the team? Are there any other Jets who can really claim that they're THE elite guy at a key position (and in the new NFL, there are only 2 of those, QB and CB, mayyyyybe LT). EXACTLY. Just beat me to it, particularly the bold.

This might be an issue if Mangold was holding out as well. But he's not. Revis is not the guy you pull this with. He's just not. Put the tough guy routine down and make it happen.

GordonGecko
08-19-10, 10:04 AM
This isn't little league. Everyone isn't and shouldn't be treated equal. I love the idea people have that this will set some precedent. Sorry, there just aren't many Revis-type players in the league, must less on the Jets.
What the hell part of 120 over 10 is little league? That's putting him as the highest CB in the league short of Aso which is a complete abberration and exhibit 1 of why the Raiders will never win. Do you want the Jets to win or not?

This might be an issue if Mangold was holding out as well. But he's not. Revis is not the guy you pull this with. He's just not.
Are you dense? The Jets aren't pulling anything, they want to pay him above and beyond any CB in the league (with the exception). There's nothing to pull here, Revis is pulling this crap. He had a very generous rookie contract and now with 3 years left he's pumping his chest that even this offer isn't good enough. He won't even meet with the team. Fu$k him, let him see how he likes his couch for the next two years

Snatch Catch
08-19-10, 10:06 AM
Yeah, I'm with you Gecko. The Jets aren't low-balling the guy or anything. They've put forth a really nice contract. The issue is now that his team simply wants more.

Melan-cynic
08-19-10, 10:10 AM
What the hell part of 120 over 10 is little league? That's putting him as the highest CB in the league short of Aso which is a complete abberration and exhibit 1 of why the Raiders will never win. Do you want the Jets to win or not? Are you clueless to how NFL contracts work? One, it's all about guaranteed money and no matter how much you like counting up to 120, it doesn't mean a thing if you don't know how much of the deal is guaranteed, which you don't. Also, we have no idea if that offer exists or ever did other than some vague leaked rumors to the media.

Are you dense? The Jets aren't pulling anything, they want to pay him above and beyond any CB in the league (with the exception). There's nothing to pull here, Revis is pulling this crap. He had a very generous rookie contract and now with 3 years left he's pumping his chest that even this offer isn't good enough. He won't even meet with the team. Fu$k him, let him see how he likes his couch for the next two yearsAgain, see above. Also he already has met with the team, as it was chronicled on Hard Knocks. And third, you are looking at this as a baseball fan without realizing the two sports are polar opposites in terms of contracts, financial leverage, career ending injuries and their unions. Revis knows his value will NEVER be higher than now, knows the system does not look kindly on aging players and realizes if he sustains a major injury next week he could never see another monster FA contract again.

Until it's confirmed what he did or did not accept in terms of guaranteed money I can't knock him for his decsions.

GordonGecko
08-19-10, 10:21 AM
Are you clueless to how NFL contracts work? One, it's all about guaranteed money and no matter how much you like counting up to 120, it doesn't mean a thing if you don't know how much of the deal is guaranteed, which you don't. Also, we have no idea if that offer exists or ever did other than some vague leaked rumors to the media.
I know EXACTLY how it works. Revis is special but he's not special enough that if his knees get blown out on a play the Jets are on the hook for $120M. The team is willing to guarantee some money but not what Revis is asking for. He thinks that because he's so good the rules that apply to every other player shouldn't apply to him. He's scared of becoming a Leon Washington, but guess what buddy that's the world you have to live in. Again the Jets ARE offering guaranteed money it's just not what his blood sucking agents are asking for

Again, see above. Also he already has met with the team, as it was chronicled on Hard Knocks.
I watched hard knocks, read all the articles, and listed to all the TV & radio interviews. Revis has not met and refuses to meet with anyone from the Jets. The agents have represented him at every meeting and they have steadfastly refused to make him available for any reason.

And third, you are looking at this as a baseball fan without realizing the two sports are polar opposites in terms of contracts, financial leverage, career ending injuries and their unions. Revis knows his value will NEVER be higher than now, knows the system does not look kindly on aging players and realizes if he sustains a major injury next week he could never see another monster FA contract again.
No, I'm not. The NFL works differently and Revis is trying to change it because of an over-inflated sense of ego. He's the best, but he is still one guy. You need a team to win, and if the Jets tie up too much on him and for performance or injury he can no longer produce, that's that much less to get a player to replace him not mention the other fat contract demands that will result from other emboldened players. The Jets absolutely must and will make an example out of him if he will not accept a very good offer

Melan-cynic
08-19-10, 10:27 AM
I know EXACTLY how it works. Revis is special but he's not special enough that if his knees get blown out on a play the Jets are on the hook for $120M. The team is willing to guarantee some money but not what Revis is asking for. He thinks that because he's so good the rules that apply to every other player shouldn't apply to him. He's scared of becoming a Leon Washington, but guess what buddy that the world you have to live in. Again the Jets ARE offering guaranteed money it's just not what his blood sucking agents are asking for Yes, he is that special and again, you have NO IDEA how much guaranteed money he was offered so all your diatribes are useless. Until you know what he turned down the act is tiresome. And yes that's the world most players live in, but the elite players are worth taking the risk on. This isn't some FA mercenary already past his prime. This is the best player on your team who is just entering his prime.

No, I'm not. The NFL works differently and Revis is trying to change it because of an overinflated sense of ego. He's the best, but he is still one guy. You need a team to win, and if the Jets tie up too much on him and for performance or injury he can no longer produce, that's that much less to get a player to replace him not mention the other fat contract demands that will result from other emboldened players. The Jets absolutely must and will make an example out of him if he will not accept a very good offerAgain. You have no clue what the offers are and you continue to overemphasize the precedent idea. Who exactly do you think would be emboldened by this scenario? Please tell me how paying Revis will somehow make the Jets become incapable of assessing upcoming FAs' value. If Santonio or Braylon want to hold out, the Jets are not run by Al Davis. They are not going to start bending to every player's demands like you hilariously imply here. Revis is not every player. That's the point.

Snatch Catch
08-19-10, 10:32 AM
If the stance is that we don't know the guaranteed portion of the deal, then it's equally "wrong" to say that the Jets should just show him the money.

GordonGecko
08-19-10, 10:37 AM
Yes, he is that special and again, you have NO IDEA how much guaranteed money he was offered so all your diatribes are useless. Until you know what he turned down the act is tiresome. And yes that's the world most players live in, but the elite players are worth taking the risk on. This isn't some FA mercenary already past his prime. This is the best player on your team who is just entering his prime.

Again. You have no clue what the offers are and you continue to overemphasize the precedent idea. Who exactly do you think would be emboldened by this scenario? Please tell me how paying Revis will somehow make the Jets become incapable of assessing upcoming FAs' value. If Santonio or Braylon want to hold out, the Jets are not run by Al Davis. They are not going to start bending to every player's demands like you hilariously imply here. Revis is not every player. That's the point.
I have no reason to doubt Rex Ryan when he says Revis was offered 120 over 10, and ownership wouldn't lie to him because they are fully aware of his value to the team. The question is guaranteed money, he had 20M in guarantees waiting for him if he got through 2010, so he definitely wants more than 20M. The Jets will surely match that but word is they're offering 30M and I haven't heard any reliable indications of what Revis is asking so we can only guess. 40, 50, 100?? Who knows

The other issue is the guarantee for performance or for skill. The Jets have said that they will guarantee for either/or but not both. I'm sure there's some flexibility there but Revis has to be willing to bend. The first step is meeting with the team, as soon as he can do that you'll see a lot of movement on both sides

Melan-cynic
08-19-10, 10:45 AM
If the stance is that we don't know the guaranteed portion of the deal, then it's equally "wrong" to say that the Jets should just show him the money.I was waiting for that. As soon as the Jets become the Pats in terms of personnel decisions I'll begin erring on the side of caution in that vein.

I have no reason to doubt Rex Ryan when he says Revis was offered 120 over 10Show me where Ryan ever confirmed that. In fact, find me another outlet reporting that other than the Daily News who leaked that rumor.

and ownership wouldn't lie to him because they are fully aware of his value to the team. Ah, the naivety of youth.

PlsDontTearDownY.S.
08-20-10, 12:06 PM
He's got three years left on his deal, not one like most holdout cases, so if they really decided to move on, he is in a world of trouble.

Let him sit for two or three years and see how many teams will offer him anything close to 100 mil after having not played a meaningful down in eons. 99% sure that doesn't happen, but the Jets have the high ground as long as the team is playing winning football.

I love how Revis is holding out on a contract he held out to get that still has three years left on it. The Jets cannot just give Revis the farm. I'm thinking a compromise will be reached by the 4th game at the latest.

No super bowl without Revis, but in the very unlikely scenario that he's done with the Jets, teams have won SB's without an A+ corner. Just won't happen this year.

Jace
08-20-10, 07:13 PM
I agree that the Jets have more leverage. Yes yes, Revis is the greatest and the Jets will be slammed if they are losing without him, but as Snatch said, they have him for THREE YEARS. Revis is completely ................ed if he doesnt sign eventually. The Jets are just worse if they dont have him, its not like its impossible to win without Revis. However its completely impossible for Revis to be a great player without the Jets

RYMASTER or Ryan_Yankees
08-21-10, 05:20 PM
So, how much can we expect to see the first team tonight?

PinstripePride
08-22-10, 07:59 PM
Disappointing show by the offense. I hope they step it up. Not really concerned at this point, but Id like to see some fireworks in the next couple games.

AMYanks
08-22-10, 08:04 PM
Jets, Mangold closing in on contract extension.

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2010/08/jets_closing_in_on_deal_with_a.html

Also, Tim Cowlishaw (Dallas Morning News writer, has been on ESPN's Around The Horn) is reporting that Revis has a new deal and will be announced Wednesday.

http://twitter.com/TimCowlishaw/status/21853741962

dabomb2045
08-22-10, 08:12 PM
The Mangold story is being picked up by many media outlets. Havent heard the Revis thing anywhere else yet....so I am trying not to get excited.

TheManKnownAsMecca
08-22-10, 08:31 PM
Jets, Mangold closing in on contract extension.

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2010/08/jets_closing_in_on_deal_with_a.html

Also, Tim Cowlishaw (Dallas Morning News writer, has been on ESPN's Around The Horn) is reporting that Revis has a new deal and will be announced Wednesday.

http://twitter.com/TimCowlishaw/status/21853741962

As for the Revis deal an article from ProFootballTalk.com said:

Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News writes that the team and Revis "have no plans (http://twitter.com/TheJetsStream/status/21856596217)" to announce a contract this week. Jenny Vrentas of the Newark Star-Ledger reports that she has "confirmed (http://twitter.com/JennyVrentas/status/21855999607)" that the Cowlishaw tweet isn't true.

Melan-cynic
08-23-10, 04:22 PM
Scary but Francesa is speaking the truth RE: Revis today.

Like I've been saying it's all about the guaranteed money. Until you know that you know nothing, making the outraged fan reaction all the more entertaining.

dabomb2045
08-23-10, 07:13 PM
Scary but Francesa is speaking the truth RE: Revis today.

Like I've been saying it's all about the guaranteed money. Until you know that you know nothing, making the outraged fan reaction all the more entertaining.

I dont think most of us care who's right or wrong. Dont care. All the fans know, is that they have a team when at 100% can win a title this year. Take Revis away....and the dream of a Super Bowl goes away.

Just get the guy signed.....somehow, someway.

Melan-cynic
08-23-10, 07:26 PM
Agreed bro.

AMYanks
08-23-10, 08:20 PM
Mangold deal is done.

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2010/08/jets_center_nick_mangold_agree.html

2 down, 2 to go.

dabomb2045
08-23-10, 08:25 PM
Mangold deal is done.

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2010/08/jets_center_nick_mangold_agree.html

2 down, 2 to go.

Revis next please. Harris is the only one out of the four that I havent heard chirp at all about a new deal.....so save him for last.

Melan-cynic
08-23-10, 09:45 PM
I love the Designated Hitter. So good, so underrated and so unselfish.

AMYanks
08-24-10, 02:23 PM
It was reported on 1050 ESPN that Revis' agent said he will be in camp by Thursday. I didn't hear it myself, but it's being talked about on a bunch of different Jets forums.

Really trying not to get my hopes up.

Melan-cynic
08-24-10, 03:01 PM
It was reported on 1050 ESPN that Revis' agent said he will be in camp by Thursday. I didn't hear it myself, but it's being talked about on a bunch of different Jets forums.

Really trying not to get my hopes up.Whoa. Thanks for the news AMY. Hope they're right.

AMYanks
08-24-10, 03:09 PM
http://twitter.com/TimCowlishaw/status/22026831386

Jets' meeting with Revis' people tonite will decide if I was a little overconfident in my initial prediction. But they're talking.

RYMASTER or Ryan_Yankees
08-24-10, 03:13 PM
:2thumbs:

Melan-cynic
08-24-10, 03:36 PM
Jetsblog supports what AM said:

Filling in for Michael Kay, Bill Daughtry just said on 1050 ESPN, that he has a source confirming the Cowlishaw story – in essence confirming the facts that Revis will sign this week with the likelihood of him being back by Thursday.

Cowlishaw also tweeted this:

Revis taped TV interview yesterday to air Wednesday. Not part of "Hard Knocks" I don't think. Checking now to find out what said.

AMYanks
08-24-10, 04:10 PM
Bart Hubbuck from the NY Post:

http://twitter.com/NYPost_Hubbuch/status/22030393752

I'm getting the sense from various #Jets folks that there's something to these "Revis to sign soon" reports. The coyness is very suspicious.

Melan-cynic
08-24-10, 04:57 PM
Pleeze.

AMYanks
08-24-10, 05:13 PM
Graziano:

http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2010/08/24/source-darrelle-revis-jets-almost-there-on-deal/

Could Darrelle Revis' contract holdout with the Jets soon come to an end?It's been a weird couple of days trying to make sense of the Darrelle Revis contract negotiations with the Jets, but one source close to the situation told FanHouse on Tuesday that the star cornerback's long-awaited contract extension with the team is "almost there" and could be finalized and announced in the coming days.

Cowlishaw is our Stephen A. Smith.

Snatch Catch
08-24-10, 05:45 PM
There are still denials coming out, including from Hubbuch who was quoted being optimistic just a few posts ago and all of the mainstream bitches at ESPN who are sour that they were totally blindsided by this commotion, but there are several sources now creating a ton of smoke independently.

It would be awesome to have this all be true and not have the best defensive player in the league be left with an inadequate amount of time to get fully prepared for the season.

PinstripePride
08-24-10, 06:35 PM
Fingers crossed this all ends this week, but I doubt it.

Melan-cynic
08-24-10, 07:56 PM
Fingers crossed this all ends this week, but I doubt it.Why? Just because?

PinstripePride
08-24-10, 08:08 PM
Why? Just because?

No concrete reason other than basing it off of the way everything has gone so far, Woody and Tannenbaum's words about the situation, etc.

Seems like more and more sources are corroborating Colishaw's story, so we will see I guess:

http://www.fanfeedr.com/nfl/2010/08/24/update-revis-contract-report-confirmed-by-two-other-sources

AMYanks
08-25-10, 01:45 AM
http://twitter.com/KDPomp/status/22056448690

revis getting closer to accepting a record deal from Jets...my people in the county say it could be a 10 yr deal 150mill 65 gauranteed!!!

Take it FWIW, but Pompeani is considered one of the best football reporters in Pittsburgh (Revis' home town), so people are taking him seriously.

If true, though, I'm surprised Revis made out so well. The deal must be heavily front loaded.

AMYanks
08-25-10, 02:37 AM
This site's saying the announcement will be officially made during Hard Knocks.

http://www.slipperybanana.com/profiles/blogs/darrelle-revis-and-new-york

dabomb2045
08-25-10, 04:12 AM
Cannizzaro is shooting the reports down

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/jets/hubbub_about_revis_return_just_hot_Szwmkkbd4fIoYpCKKAIAfI

This much, however, we can tell you with conviction through every indication we’ve gathered: There was no meeting last night between the Jets and Revis’ agents, the sides do not appear to be “almost there” on a new contract and a Revis return will not be the star attraction on “Hard Knocks” in tonight’s episode.
In other words, despite all the “news” that has been reported on the subject, there is no news. The situation is status quo. Revis is not here and there’s no indication about when he’ll arrive.

The Daily News is shooting it down too. I guess we'll see what happens as today develops.

RYMASTER or Ryan_Yankees
08-25-10, 12:30 PM
Humbug.

Melan-cynic
08-25-10, 03:16 PM
Humbug.I'm going the other way.

I agree with TurnOnJets:

I am fully on the bandwagon of Darrelle Revis (http://www.rototimes.com/nfl/player/6687) signing a new contract by the end of the day on Thursday. I don’t care if every Jets beat writer is reporting Revis and the team didn’t meet last night. All I know is I am seeing:

The TIm Cowlishaw initial report about Revis signing this week.
ESPN 105o’s Bill Daughtry confirming the Cowlishaw report with a separate source.
AOL Fanhouse confirming the report with a separate source.
The New York Post – Revis is close to signing a 10 year, $150 million dollar deal, with $65 million dollars guaranteed.
CBS New York/WFAN – Revis is close to signing the above mentioned deal.
Pittsburgh KDKA – Reporting the above mentioned deal.
Multiple sources are reporting Revis recorded a television interview last night.
A source from OCNN giving me a strong impression that a Revis deal is coming by the end of the week.

I am not expecting some type of announcement syncing up with Hard Knocks. However, whether it will be tonight, tomorrow during the day, or some time tomorrow night, Revis will sign a contract somewhat near the parameters being reported by multiple media outlets.

GordonGecko
08-25-10, 03:28 PM
Sounds to me like a deal is all but done, reading between the lines and all the reports, I expect Revis to show up to camp within a few days if not tomorrow:

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/news/story?id=5496890

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- As suspected, New York Jets holdout Darrelle Revis won't appear on camera in Episode 3 of HBO's "Hard Knocks," which airs Wednesday night at 10.

How do we know?

We know because Steve Sabol, the president of NFL Films (which produces the show), shot down speculation during an appearance Wednesday with Jody McDonald and Brandon Tierney on 1050 ESPN Radio.

On Tuesday, when Tim Cowlishaw of the Dallas Morning News tweeted that Revis had taped a TV interview that would air Wednesday, it fueled speculation that the Pro Bowl cornerback was going to appear on "Hard Knocks," perhaps delivering a bombshell announcement related to his holdout.

But it's not happening. Sabol says so.

The latest report of an imminent Revis contract came late Tuesday from KDKA TV in Pittsburgh, where Revis grew up. On one of its Twitter pages, KDKA reported that Revis is close to signing a 10-year, $150 million contract, including $65 million in guarantees.

That means no fewer than three media outlets have reported this week that Revis is on the verge of signing a blockbuster deal. The Jets, citing the confidentiality agreement they made two weeks ago with Revis' agents, have declined to comment on the reports.

The Dallas Morning News reported that Revis' agents were to meet Tuesday night with Jets officials. No such meeting took place, according to a league source.

During a lunch break at the NFL owners meeting Wednesday in Atlanta, Jets owner Woody Johnson was asked by ESPN's Sal Paolantonio about reports that the team is close to a deal with Revis.

"We've sworn not to talk about it, but I don't know where this stuff is coming from. It's not done until it's done," Johnson said.

There are strong indications the two sides aren't close to an agreement. That doesn't preclude Revis from accepting one of the offers on the table and showing up without notice, but based on the hard-line stance conveyed by his agents at the start of training camp, that would represent a dramatic turnaround.

Revis reportedly is seeking $162 million over 10 years, while the Jets have offered $122 million over the same number of years. The Jets also have made a short-term proposal, about $40 million over four years.

dabomb2045
08-26-10, 09:48 AM
Still all quiet on Revis. The Jets beat guys are saying that the rumors werent accurate and that the sides are still far apart. I trust them more then I do Tim Cowlishaw.

GordonGecko
08-26-10, 10:42 AM
Coleslaw said Weds or Sat, his source may have thought they wanted to get it done for hard knocks but may now have to wait til after friday's game

Melan-cynic
08-26-10, 11:18 AM
Still all quiet on Revis. The Jets beat guys are saying that the rumors werent accurate and that the sides are still far apart. I trust them more then I do Tim Cowlishaw.I trust Dan Graziano as much as any reporter. He was an excellent newsbreaker and overall columnist for the Ledger for years before that paper fell into economic ruin.

And he said this last night:

I promise I'm continuing 2 do my job, check sources, give u everything I've got. Sides continue to talk. Good progress. Deal soon.

ToneinTO
08-27-10, 12:05 PM
This is worse than the Brett Favre soap opera with the Vikings. What a mess.

Melan-cynic
08-27-10, 12:35 PM
This is worse than the Brett Favre soap opera with the Vikings. What a mess. :roflmao: Not even close, genius.

Jets promised to rip up Revis' contract and give him a new deal. Comparing Revis trying to get that new deal to Favre is the funniest thing I've heard in a while. Congrats.

ToneinTO
08-27-10, 12:47 PM
:roflmao: Not even close, genius.

Jets promised to rip up Revis' contract and give him a new deal. Comparing Revis trying to get that new deal to Favre is the funniest thing I've heard in a while. Congrats.

Well where's the new deal, Nostradamus? Saying something will be done and actually doing it are two different things. I hope they come to an agreement but just because a "promise" was made, that doesn't mean it will happen anytime soon.

Melan-cynic
08-27-10, 12:50 PM
Well where's the new deal, Nostradamus? Saying something will be done and actually doing it are two different things. I hope they come to an agreement but just because a "promise" was made, that doesn't mean it will happen anytime soon.How does the Jets not making good on their promise and Revis holding out for a month of training camp have ANYTHING to do with Brett Favre, whose actions have been some of the most selfish and egomaniacal in the history of sport? Riddle me that.

Snatch Catch
08-27-10, 01:16 PM
:roflmao: Not even close, genius.

Where have you seen that they promised to rip up his old deal and give him a new one? I've only seen extension references, but I haven't been looking that hard.

Melan-cynic
08-27-10, 01:40 PM
Where have you seen that they promised to rip up his old deal and give him a new one? I've only seen extension references, but I haven't been looking that hard.The Jets approached Revis and have admitted as such, that they began the negotiations.

Also I love the geniuses who say "he has three years left on his contract!!" They obviously don't know that if he were to get hurt this year those next three years would be ripped up with I believe a total of $4M per year being guaranteed.

And to the people who think "he's been offered $150M!!" they again do not get that that means literally nothing unless you know the guaranteed money. Brick got a $60+ million deal this summer. Whoa, boy. Guess how much of that contract is guaranteed.... If you guessed just over $5M you'd be correct.

It's this type of ignorance to whats actually going on that makes it funny when people try to rip Revis. The Jets came to Revis with promises of a new deal - Leon and Kendall's promises worked out real well - so it's up to the organization to get it done. And comparing a guy whose character or team player mentality has never been questioned to a guy like Favre is just ludicrous.

PlsDontTearDownY.S.
08-27-10, 03:41 PM
The Jets approached Revis and have admitted as such, that they began the negotiations.

Also I love the geniuses who say "he has three years left on his contract!!" They obviously don't know that if he were to get hurt this year those next three years would be ripped up with I believe a total of $4M per year being guaranteed.

And to the people who think "he's been offered $150M!!" they again do not get that that means literally nothing unless you know the guaranteed money. Brick got a $60+ million deal this summer. Whoa, boy. Guess how much of that contract is guaranteed.... If you guessed just over $5M you'd be correct.

Even though the Jets told Revis they'd renegotiate, that doesn't mean Revis can hold the franchise's feet to the fire and at the same time be above all criticism.

And he does have 3 years left on a deal that he held out to sign in the first place, nobody forced him to sign that deal. Why should that have no bearing at all on the negotiations?

Yea, it's up to the organization. It's also up to Revis and his agents to realize that the salary cap is going nowhere and that there are 51 other players on the team. The Jets aren't going to just bend over for them. I'm confident a compromise will be reached.

It sucks that our team is being raked over the coals due to a sh*tty CBA and the lunacy of the Asomugah contract. If it was simply a matter of paying Revis a massive signing bonus, I'm pretty sure the deal would have been done already. The owner is a billionaire, this is not the Mets we're talking about.

Melan-cynic
08-27-10, 05:50 PM
Show me where I said the Jets should bend over? He deserves a fair deal which for me is about $30' guaranteed. For Gods sake Haynesworth got $42M guaranteed and hes a cancer.

dabomb2045
08-27-10, 06:08 PM
Show me where I said the Jets should bend over? He deserves a fair deal which for me is about $30' guaranteed. For Gods sake Haynesworth got $42M guaranteed and hes a cancer.

If Revis was only asking for $30M guaranteed....I think he would be signed already. Seeing as the Jets gave Mangold $22M guaranteed, I dont think they would blink about giving Revis somewhere around $30M. My guess is Revis is asking for much more then that.

PlsDontTearDownY.S.
08-27-10, 06:22 PM
Jesus what was that throw Sanchez

dabomb2045
08-27-10, 07:13 PM
I know its only preseason....but outside of a few nice runs by Tomlinson and Greene....the offense has looked dreadful the past two games. I mean really awful. Sanchez looks lost.

TheManKnownAsMecca
08-27-10, 08:06 PM
I know its only preseason....but outside of a few nice runs by Tomlinson and Greene....the offense has looked dreadful the past two games. I mean really awful. Sanchez looks lost.

Sanchez had a really nice drive in the first preseason game the series after he threw a pick on his first throw. Other than that he has been pretty bad. He doesn't seem to have the confidence or swagger that he did last year. That said, as long as the defense does its part in the regular season and Sanchez doesn't have to do much they will win their fair share of games and Sanchez's confidence will grow.

AMYanks
08-27-10, 09:34 PM
http://twitter.com/TheJetsStream

Jets Rex said Calvin Pace will miss "a few weeks" with foot injury. Big blow.

Jason Taylor will go from playing 75 percent to 100 percent of plays with Pace out, Rex said.

Adalius Thomas back on the radar, I'm guessing.

Melan-cynic
08-27-10, 09:41 PM
If Revis was only asking for $30M guaranteed....I think he would be signed already. Seeing as the Jets gave Mangold $22M guaranteed, I dont think they would blink about giving Revis somewhere around $30M. My guess is Revis is asking for much more then that.Again based on nothing. If the Jets offered such a great deal that Revis turned down - in terms of guaranteed money - the Jets would've leaked it to the media long ago. Be logical here. Don't you find it a bit odd that the Jets leaked the 10 years and $100+ million figure but have yet to release anything about guaranteed money? That's no coincidence.

They know that fans will yell and scream - as has happened here - about a boatload of unguaranteed money because they know most fans don't understand that that money is fruitless. So just because you think it's plausible doesn't mean it ever happened. I don't know it either, but I bet if the Jets offered $30-35M guaranteed to Revis he'd be in camp right now. Agree to completely disagree here.

dabomb2045
08-27-10, 10:15 PM
Of course we dont know anything really. Thats why we're posters on a message board....but part of being a fan is stating opinions.

IMO if they would so easily fork over $22M guaranteed to Mangold and make him the highest paid center ever (btw well deserved IMO), then do you believe they would be afraid to offer Revis around $30M...a difference of only $8M guaranteed? I dont believe so. I have a feeling Revis is asking for alot more. IIRC, one of the early rumors that someone linked to this thread a few pages ago had Revis signing a 10-year $152 million w/like $50M of it guaranteed. Who knows if this is true.

But just going on what Mangold was given....I have to believe these two sides are way off on guaranteed money with the Jets probably drawing the line at $30 or $35M, and Revis wanting significantly more then that.

Melan-cynic
08-27-10, 10:23 PM
Of course we dont know anything really. Thats why we're posters on a message board....but part of being a fan is stating opinions.

IMO if they would so easily fork over $22M guaranteed to Mangold and make him the highest paid center ever (btw well deserved IMO), then do you believe they would be afraid to offer Revis around $30M...a difference of only $8M guaranteed? I dont believe so. I have a feeling Revis is asking for alot more. IIRC, one of the early rumors that someone linked to this thread a few pages ago had Revis signing a 10-year $152 million w/like $50M of it guaranteed. Who knows if this is true.

But just going on what Mangold was given....I have to believe these two sides are way off on guaranteed money with the Jets probably drawing the line at $30 or $35M, and Revis wanting significantly more then that.Link please RE: the bold and totally disagree with the second bold as its pure speculation.

dabomb2045
08-27-10, 10:33 PM
Link please RE: the bold and totally disagree with the second bold as its pure speculation.

These posts were #622 and #623 on Page 32....made by AMYanks. I guess he found these links and posted them here. Again, these were just rumors and spec. And of course my post is spec too, but I'll ask your opinion: What do YOU think Revis is asking for guaranteed, and what do YOU think the Jets draw the line at?

Darrelle Revis have agreed in principle on a 10 year, $152 million dollar contract that will essentially make him a Jet for life. Details of guaranteed compensation are ranging from $55-70M against injury.

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset">revis getting closer to accepting a record deal from Jets...my people in the county say it could be a 10 yr deal 150mill 65 gauranteed!!! </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
Take it FWIW, but Pompeani is considered one of the best football reporters in Pittsburgh (Revis' home town), so people are taking him seriously.

If true, though, I'm surprised Revis made out so well. The deal must be heavily front loaded.<!-- / message --><!-- Sig Was Here -->

Melan-cynic
08-27-10, 10:56 PM
These posts were #622 and #623 on Page 32....made by AMYanks. I guess he found these links and posted them here. Again, these were just rumors and spec. And of course my post is spec too, but I'll ask your opinion: What do YOU think Revis is asking for guaranteed, and what do YOU think the Jets draw the line at?

Darrelle Revis have agreed in principle on a 10 year, $152 million dollar contract that will essentially make him a Jet for life. Details of guaranteed compensation are ranging from $55-70M against injury.

<table border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td class="alt2" style="border: 1px inset;">revis getting closer to accepting a record deal from Jets...my people in the county say it could be a 10 yr deal 150mill 65 gauranteed!!! </td></tr></tbody></table>

If true, though, I'm surprised Revis made out so well. The deal must be heavily front loaded.<!-- / message --><!-- Sig Was Here -->One: slippery banana? Really? Yeah, excellent source.

Two: I know Pompeani is well-respected but you're using a tweet that said a deal is done - obviously it is not - as a source that he's asking for $65M? Ding #2.

Three: I have no idea where the Jets "draw the line" because they've leaked nothing regarding what Revis is actually asking for [or the all-important guaranteed $$ they've offered] and again, they have not shown a history of honesty considering the broken promises made to guys like Leon and Kendall.

I'll never understand why fans blindly believe and follow owners and upper management as gospel while instinctively assuming the player is the greedy one. Right. He's to blame.

dabomb2045
08-27-10, 11:03 PM
First off these arent my sources. Second....why is everyone taking what Tim Cowlishaw, a reporter in Texas, as something thats set in stone? Or why I should believe what Bill Daughtry says? Personally I dont believe ANY of these rumors and I dont think these two sides are close at all.

I think its 50/50 at best Revis is on the field for Week 1, and I think the chances of him missing the season are increasing rapidly.

As for sympathizing w/the team over the player....I think it comes down to the fans seeing that they have a team that could win a SB, but that dream goes way w/o Revis. Then they hear things about Revis wanting to be the highest paid CB in the game (something his agent has publicly said)....so it comes down to what is more important for Revis? Is he 100% concerned with the money? Does he care about the team and winning a title at all?

dabomb2045
08-28-10, 04:19 AM
http://www.nyjetscap.com/mangoldextension2010.php

Nice analysis and breakdown of Mangold's deal

Melan-cynic
08-28-10, 10:23 AM
First off these arent my sources. Second....why is everyone taking what Tim Cowlishaw, a reporter in Texas, as something thats set in stone? Or why I should believe what Bill Daughtry says? Personally I dont believe ANY of these rumors and I dont think these two sides are close at all.

I think its 50/50 at best Revis is on the field for Week 1, and I think the chances of him missing the season are increasing rapidly. What does this have to do with anything? Whether or not they're close does not change how this negotiation started. Also, Dan Graziano (http://twitter.com/dangrazianoaol), a great reporter formerly of the Ledger has been on this for a while and, like me, is very confident Darrelle will be in the starting lineup vs. the Ravens.

As for sympathizing w/the team over the player....I think it comes down to the fans seeing that they have a team that could win a SB, but that dream goes way w/o Revis. Then they hear things about Revis wanting to be the highest paid CB in the game (something his agent has publicly said)....so it comes down to what is more important for Revis? Is he 100% concerned with the money? Does he care about the team and winning a title at all?Are you kidding me? Of course he cares. Again, I could say the same thing about the Jets FO - wanting to win a super bowl - given the fact that we haven't heard that the organization is willing to pay him any substantial amount of guaranteed money. In fact Revis' reps leaked to the media that the Jets had not guaranteed any money in one early offer. The Jets could easily offer him $15-16M a year and about $30-35M guaranteed over the life of the deal without looking like they cracked, while exceeding Asomugha's annual value and overall guaranteed money.

We'll ultimately find out who was being greedy and who wasn't but the fact that its continually glossed over that the Jets were the ones who promised a new contract, and most importantly, have yet to leak ANY numbers regarding guaranteed money has me squarely behind Revis here. Until I hear that he turned down a deal like the one mentioned above, that's where I'll be.

dabomb2045
08-29-10, 11:20 AM
This sucks.....Pace out 4-6 weeks with broken foot. Sounds like the Jets are gonna workout Adalius Thomas to see if he's in shape

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/news/story?id=5509237

GordonGecko
08-29-10, 01:42 PM
4-6 weeks isn't the end of the world, especially since the regular season isn't on yet. It's not like he tore his achilles tendon like Pitoitua

dabomb2045
08-29-10, 01:58 PM
4-6 weeks isn't the end of the world, especially since the regular season isn't on yet. It's not like he tore his achilles tendon like Pitoitua

Even if its 4 weeks....its still the first two games of the season so its a significant injury.

Snatch Catch
08-30-10, 09:50 AM
Considering how fair Mangold's contract was to everyone involved, Revis' agents, and Revis' family history, I'm officially content with thinking of Darrelle in a selfish light at this point.

This is starting to affect the team now, and if he comes back I'll obviously root for him, but only because he's wearing green and white not because I'm a personal fan of his like I used to be.

GordonGecko
08-31-10, 09:45 AM
Jets just opened the floodgates, upper deck seats on sale for individual games. They're saying 2,000 tix available, I'm betting it's more like 5,000+

--------------

Season Ticket News

With our Monday Night regular season opener less than two weeks away, we know that you must be excited to get Jets 2010 football underway. And as a current season ticket holder, we have a special opportunity that we are offering to you first. Now, you can take more family, friends and clients to see the new stadium and cheer on the Jets to victory this season.

We have a limited number of tickets - less than 2,000 per game - in the upper level that became available as season ticket holders upgraded to mezzanine and lower level PSL seats. These seats are available to you as part of this offer at the season ticket price between $95 and $125 per ticket (plus applicable Ticketmaster fees). This offer is only for upper level tickets without PSLs; seats with PSLs will not be sold on an individual game basis.

Tickets will go on sale today, August 31, at 10am. To purchase, simply visit www.ticketmaster.com and use the password GOTIME to access the offer. Please note: tickets can only be purchased on ticketmaster.com. Single game tickets will be made available to the public starting at 4pm this afternoon so if you want additional tickets, we suggest you buy soon.

Thanks and Go Jets!

1 Jets Drive, Florham Park, New Jersey 07932

RhodyYanksFan
08-31-10, 12:01 PM
Jets just opened the floodgates, upper deck seats on sale for individual games. They're saying 2,000 tix available, I'm betting it's more like 5,000+

--------------

Season Ticket News

With our Monday Night regular season opener less than two weeks away, we know that you must be excited to get Jets 2010 football underway. And as a current season ticket holder, we have a special opportunity that we are offering to you first. Now, you can take more family, friends and clients to see the new stadium and cheer on the Jets to victory this season.

We have a limited number of tickets - less than 2,000 per game - in the upper level that became available as season ticket holders upgraded to mezzanine and lower level PSL seats. These seats are available to you as part of this offer at the season ticket price between $95 and $125 per ticket (plus applicable Ticketmaster fees). This offer is only for upper level tickets without PSLs; seats with PSLs will not be sold on an individual game basis.

Tickets will go on sale today, August 31, at 10am. To purchase, simply visit www.ticketmaster.com and use the password GOTIME to access the offer. Please note: tickets can only be purchased on ticketmaster.com. Single game tickets will be made available to the public starting at 4pm this afternoon so if you want additional tickets, we suggest you buy soon.

Thanks and Go Jets!

1 Jets Drive, Florham Park, New Jersey 07932

You get hit with Ticketmaster fees even though you're buying directly from the Jets as a season ticket holder? SCAM!

GordonGecko
08-31-10, 12:12 PM
You get hit with Ticketmaster fees even though you're buying directly from the Jets as a season ticket holder? SCAM!

Yep, +$10 per ticket plus an order fee. For whoever doesn't know yet, the password for the Presale on right now is GOTIME

http://www.ticketmaster.com/event/000044FFD553700C?artistid=805987

http://www.ticketmaster.com/New-York-Jets-tickets/artist/805987

RYMASTER or Ryan_Yankees
08-31-10, 01:37 PM
I wish I had the money, or I'd buy some tickets for December when I get back from school.

Oh well, football is generally a game better watched on TV anyway.

GordonGecko
08-31-10, 01:59 PM
I wish I had the money, or I'd buy some tickets for December when I get back from school.

Oh well, football is generally a game better watched on TV anyway.
Just wait for prices to come down

tdel23
08-31-10, 02:34 PM
I'm sure Stubhub will be flooded with tickets too

Melan-cynic
09-01-10, 01:21 AM
http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2010/08/31/source-darrelle-revis-jets-still-talking-contract/

Hope he's right.

dabomb2045
09-01-10, 01:26 AM
http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2010/08/31/source-darrelle-revis-jets-still-talking-contract/

Hope he's right.

Sure hope so. He's the only writer anywhere that I'm hearing saying the two are talking, and that he expects a deal done sometime soon. Everyone else is on the "they arent talking and are far apart" bandwagon.

Hopefully his "sources" are legit because nobody else seems to have them. If Revis does get signed soon, I'll give credit to Graziano for staying with it while everyone else long jumped off.

Snatch Catch
09-01-10, 10:16 AM
I love that Graziano is still writing it, but he's being woefully obtuse - to the point that I see him as simply taking the side of "Revis will eventually sign."

Before it was close, now it's complicated but will still get done.

He's either going to take a short term bandaid or a longterm deal.

That sort of stuff. He doesn't give any timeframe, he doesn't have any details, he just basically keeps writing that his source says it's going to get done.

Again, I hope he's right, but I don't see him reporting anything that makes me think he's got any sort of real inside track here.

Melan-cynic
09-01-10, 10:21 AM
That's what reporters have to do. Trust their sources regardless if it is or isn't specific enough for fans. Graziano isn't just making stuff up.

JeffWeaverFan
09-01-10, 09:42 PM
With the high potential of a lockout next year, Revis would be an idiot to sit out the year. There's no way he would get the contract that he's looking for (or the one that the Jets are offering) if he didn't play football for 2 consecutive seasons. And I'd be shocked if the Jets traded him, so he'd have to continue to sit out. To me the Jets seem to be making fair offers considering the fact that he has 3 years left on his current deal.

Oh, and I have no doubt that the Jets defense would still be fantastic without Revis. A Cromartie/Wilson CB tandem isn't much worse than a Revis/Lowery tandem, and add on Jenkins and we'll be just as good as last year. With Revis though, we'd be much better of course.

Melan-cynic
09-01-10, 09:45 PM
With the high potential of a lockout next year, Revis would be an idiot to sit out the year. If you think there's going to be a lockout next year I've got a bridge I can sell you. It's not happening. The NFL is too smart to let that happen. It's a negotiating tactic.

To me the Jets seem to be making fair offers considering the fact that he has 3 years left on his current deal.Based on what? Again, you have no idea how much guaranteed money (http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/2010/08/28/2010-08-28_to_hold_out_or_not_to_hold_out.html) he's been offered or turned down so you have no clue if he's received a fair deal. Also, the remaining three years of his contract are not guaranteed. He could get cut and have no defense.

Once again, once we know what he's been offered we can broach this subject.

JeffWeaverFan
09-01-10, 10:06 PM
If you think there's going to be a lockout next year I've got a bridge I can sell you. It's not happening. The NFL is too smart to let that happen. It's a negotiating tactic.
Based on what? Again, you have no idea how much guaranteed money (http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/2010/08/28/2010-08-28_to_hold_out_or_not_to_hold_out.html) he's been offered or turned down so you have no clue if he's received a fair deal. Also, the remaining three years of his contract are not guaranteed. He could get cut and have no defense.

Once again, once we know what he's been offered we can broach this subject.
1. I worked for the NFL the last two years and unless they were bluffing to employees (I'll grant you - I guess that's possible), they are extremely serious about locking out the players next year. In fact the NFL's lead attorney (who is one of the bigwigs that is negotiating with the PA), Jeff Pash, has already been through a labor strike when he was the NHL's head attorney.

2. Agreed. We've heard rumors but we don't know how much. If he stays healthy after this year then the remaining 2/$20M would be guaranteed. My guess is the Jets would have had no problems upping this years money by a lot and continued on with the contract - but for him to think he should get a 10 year deal at $16M a year is, in my mind, absurd. The contract to the OAK CB was firstly absurd and secondly negotiated AFTER he completed his rookie deal. And thirdly it was a 3 year deal, and one that will be done after this year since CB's never get paid that kind of money.

Melan-cynic
09-01-10, 11:55 PM
Fair points but I happen to disagree.

Id put a gentlemans bet down that there will be no lockout, though.

pjfan
09-02-10, 08:30 AM
Hard Knocks continues to entertain.

Ryan's rant last night, followed by the, "Now let's go have a ................ing snack" line was priceless.

I want to hate him, but damn, he's very entertaining.

Snatch Catch
09-02-10, 09:31 AM
"You're not going to tackle anybody - that's why my brother cut your ass."

RYMASTER or Ryan_Yankees
09-02-10, 09:31 AM
I wish I had HBO. Grumble.

Melan-cynic
09-02-10, 10:53 AM
"You're not going to tackle anybody - that's why my brother cut your ass."Line of the night for me. Amazing.

Snatch Catch
09-02-10, 11:49 AM
The best part is who it was directed at from what I could tell.

Two polar-opposite football styles, and the type of guy that Rex hates.

RYMASTER or Ryan_Yankees
09-02-10, 11:52 AM
The best part is who it was directed at from what I could tell.

Two polar-opposite football styles, and the type of guy that Rex hates.

And that is who?

Melan-cynic
09-02-10, 12:06 PM
DeAngelo Hall.

JeffWeaverFan
09-02-10, 04:05 PM

I sure as hell don't want one to happen, but unless the players make a lot of concessions, I think it will happen. I've been wrong many, many times before though.

JeffWeaverFan
09-02-10, 04:07 PM
Rex ripping Hall:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvByBwtsb1Q&feature=player_embedded

RYMASTER or Ryan_Yankees
09-02-10, 05:16 PM
Rex ripping Hall:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvByBwtsb1Q&feature=player_embedded

:lol:

GordonGecko
09-02-10, 05:30 PM

Don't forget the NFL's new television contract with DirecTV. If there's no football played the NFL still gets paid. The league might actually net more profit without the expense of holding games and paying players, so they have a huge incentive to let the players kill themselves if they don't agree to their terms

Melan-cynic
09-02-10, 09:09 PM
Don't forget the NFL's new television contract with DirecTV. If there's no football played the NFL still gets paid. The league might actually net more profit without the expense of holding games and paying players, so they have a huge incentive to let the players kill themselves if they don't agree to their termsYou're high if you actually believe this.

Yeah, that would be a great strategy. Alienate a fanbase that has made your brand absolutely bulletproof.

Let's make it interesting because I'll bet the farm there is no lockout. Both sides can talk as a tough a game as they like, and you can even believe it, but they're both far too smart to let it happen.

GordonGecko
09-02-10, 09:17 PM
You're high if you actually believe this.

Yeah, that would be a great strategy. Alienate a fanbase that has made your brand absolutely bulletproof.

Let's make it interesting because I'll bet the farm there is no lockout. Both sides can talk as a tough a game as they like, and you can even believe it, but they're both far too smart to let it happen.
You're high if you think the owners won't do it. They will. They either get their share of revenues way up or they're locking out the players and pocketing the TV money

Melan-cynic
09-02-10, 09:22 PM
You're high if you think the owners won't do it. They will. They either get their share of revenues way up or they're locking out the players and pocketing the TV moneylol. Yeah, because in this world what we want to happen is what does happen. This (http://www.sportsbybrooks.com/nfl-braces-for-biggest-attendance-drop-since-98-28924) won't help them.

Fine. Let's make it interesting. Put your $ where your mouth is dude. $50 donation to NYYF.

GordonGecko
09-02-10, 09:54 PM
lol. Yeah, because in this world what we want to happen is what does happen. This (http://www.sportsbybrooks.com/nfl-braces-for-biggest-attendance-drop-since-98-28924) won't help them.

Fine. Let's make it interesting. Put your $ where your mouth is dude. $50 donation to NYYF.
You've got to be one of the most retarded posters on this site. First you say I have to be on drugs for saying the owners are more likely to lock out the players because they have a secured revenue source, then you say I'm the one who wants them to lock out the players, and to top it off you think a good solution to your knee jerk diatribes is to make a bet for money??? :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :looking: :dunno: WTF?

Do us all a favor and take your meds

Melan-cynic
09-02-10, 10:15 PM
You've got to be one of the most retarded posters on this site. First you say I have to be on drugs for saying the owners are more likely to lock out the players because they have a secured revenue source, then you say I'm the one who wants them to lock out the players, and to top it off you think a good solution to your knee jerk diatribes is to make a bet for money??? :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :looking: :dunno: WTF?

Do us all a favor and take your medsTake it you aren't putting your money where your mouth is. Shocker.

Kid, try to read before you call someone "retarded," which is against CS buddy. I said you're high if you think the owners would let the NFL go into a lockout in 2011. Go back and look.

But instead of stepping up to the plate and putting a end to this you play coy, go with a personal attack and dodge the question. Classy.

GordonGecko
09-02-10, 10:24 PM
Take it you aren't putting your money where your mouth is. Shocker.

Kid, try to read before you call someone "retarded," which is against CS buddy. I said you're high if you think the owners would let the NFL go into a lockout in 2011. Go back and look.

But instead of stepping up to the plate and putting a end to this you play coy, go with a personal attack and dodge the question. Classy.
It's past your bedtime little boy, run along now and take your school yard stupidity with you

Melan-cynic
09-02-10, 10:27 PM
It's past your bedtime little boy, run along now and take your school yard stupidity with youSo in other words, you can't back up your statements because you don't have enough left in your college allowance. So instead resort to weak, weak insults. 10-4 youngan. End of HJ.

AMYanks
09-02-10, 11:00 PM
Rex says McKnight will make the team, he just won't play him. :lol:

http://twitter.com/TheJetsStream/status/22853829364

Seriously, if he doesn't get his act together he'll be out of the league in two years.

Jax Teller
09-03-10, 12:41 PM
Jason Davis & Larry Taylor have been cut

Melan-cynic
09-03-10, 12:43 PM
Donovan Warren, Mark Carrier's godson was cut too. Apparently he had a concussion early in camp. Too bad, he was an undrafted FA I really wanted to see what he could do.

RYMASTER or Ryan_Yankees
09-03-10, 07:33 PM
Ed Reed is on the PUP list for the first game against the Jets. :2thumbs:

dabomb2045
09-05-10, 04:39 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=jc-revis090210

http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/backpage/revis_won_ever_return_report_jets_Af10s0MQgXyZMMgUMAZaBO

Obviously its all spec at this point. Although I will now say I'm 75/25 in favor of Revis not being on the field for Week 1.....only 8 days left so time is beginning to run short. And probably more like 60/40 in favor of him sitting out the year.

Btw is Graziano still sticking with his "a deal is close to being done" stuff, or is he backing off now?

Melan-cynic
09-05-10, 08:31 PM
Cutting TRich over $855k shows the pennypinching Woody is capable of. Is it that difficult to believe some of this mentality spilled over into the Revis negotiations. Whether Richardson's brought back after week 1 doesn't change that and shows why superstars hold out for guaranteed money.

EDIT: Just saw this:

Richardson should laugh at #Jets for wanting to cut him Week 1, bring him back in Week 2 just to save $$. Shabby way to treat a class act.

Attention, #Jets fans: Don't blame Revis for this penny-pinching. This is all Woody, thanks to poor PSL sales and $700M in stadium debt.
http://twitter.com/NYPost_Hubbuch

PinstripePride
09-05-10, 09:10 PM
You don't think that they're just trying to save as much cash as possible to strike a deal with Revis?

Melan-cynic
09-05-10, 09:39 PM
You don't think that they're just trying to save as much cash as possible to strike a deal with Revis?I wish. Unfortunately a few hundred thousand bucks won't do it.

Also, it's an uncapped year. I don't see other teams pulling this bs.

dabomb2045
09-05-10, 10:19 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/news/story?id=5537590

According to this article, the Jets at most would save a little over $50K if they signed Richardson after Week 1. Wow....talk about penny pinching. Sounds like this was a very unpopular move in the locker room.

Connor may have alot of upside but giving him a year to be groomed by one of the best FB's the NFL has ever seen....would have been great. Not to mention T-Rich is a great locker room leader.

I wonder....who exactly are the leaders in this locker room? Seeing this move go down (and the Coles move) has really made me lean more towards Revis's side. Woody Johnson comes across a penny pinching cheap bastard when his team makes moves like this.

GordonGecko
09-05-10, 10:31 PM
Rex Ryan met with Darrelle today in Florida, this is a very positive development

PinstripePride
09-05-10, 10:40 PM
Rex Ryan met with Darrelle today in Florida, this is a very positive development

Not convinced it's anything more than Rex trying to save a trainwreck, but I guess it's better than no news.

AMYanks
09-05-10, 11:32 PM
Evidently, some nut on twitter and Leon Washington's wife both are saying that Revis' deal is all but done. Finally, some confirmation!

http://jetsinsider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=217076

Seriously... how great would it be if those two scooped the beat writers? :lol:

dabomb2045
09-05-10, 11:34 PM
Schefter just reported on ESPN that the Revis deal is done.....no numbers yet though

GordonGecko
Adam Schefter Adam_Schefter

Filed to ESPN: Jets and CB Darrelle Revis reach agreement in principle. Revis will fly to NY, sign contract and be on field next Monday nt. 2 minutes ago via web

AMYanks
And just as I post that, NY Daily News is confirming Revis is signed.

http://twitter.com/TheJetsStream

ESPN also reporting.

RYMASTER or Ryan_Yankees
09-05-10, 11:36 PM
Schefter just reported on ESPN that the Revis deal is done.....no numbers yet though

:D :D :D

AMYanks
09-05-10, 11:39 PM
Adam Schefter
Darrelle Revis is scheduled to be at the Jets training facility tomorrow to sign the deal. Numbers likely to be a team, but not NFL record.

Jay_Glazer
Revis and jets agree to 7 year deal, more details coming in

dabomb2045
09-05-10, 11:41 PM
Im guessing its something like 7 years, 105-110 million....with 35-40 of it guaranteed.

AMYanks
09-05-10, 11:44 PM
Revis on twitter:

it not has only been hard on u guys but it has for me too. I just want to tell yall that I'm sorry for this process ...

To my family, neil, & john I love u guys I'm comin home baby!!! Revis Island LET'S GO.

AMYanks
09-05-10, 11:59 PM
TheJetsStream

#Jets deal for Darrelle Revis is 7 years... it can be voided to 4 years, $46 million, per source. #nfl #nyj

Guaranteed money for Darrelle Revis: $32 million, per source. #nfl #nyj

Yankeesfan924
09-06-10, 12:09 AM
We released Richardson? Seriously. >=(

Melan-cynic
09-06-10, 01:08 AM
Darrelle is back baby. And for right about what I said: $30M guaranteed.

The Jets previously offered Revis a 10-year, $120 million contract and a four-year, $40 million deal, but there was only a small amount of guaranteed money in each proposal.
From ESPN

PinstripePride
09-06-10, 04:54 AM
FINALLY. What a relief.

Snatch Catch
09-06-10, 07:41 AM
Thank god.

Now get back on the field and help win games.

Rocketman
09-06-10, 10:40 AM
Seems to me like Revis completely caved in. As a fan, I'm thrilled with this, but his agent seems to have failed pretty miserably.

According to ESPN, Darrelle Revis is set to earn $46 MM over 4 years, with $32 MM in various guarantees. That's $11.5 MM per season over what are likely going to be the peak seasons of his career, and he'll likely be the best defensive player in the league for the majority of that time.

$11.5 MM per year for the best player on his side of the scrimmage? Sounds good to this fan!

b_joseph
09-06-10, 10:55 AM
Seems to me like Revis completely caved in. As a fan, I'm thrilled with this, but his agent seems to have failed pretty miserably.

According to ESPN, Darrelle Revis is set to earn $46 MM over 4 years, with $32 MM in various guarantees. That's $11.5 MM per season over what are likely going to be the peak seasons of his career, and he'll likely be the best defensive player in the league for the majority of that time.

$11.5 MM per year for the best player on his side of the scrimmage? Sounds good to this fan!70% guaranteed money is great. Revis from here can earn all of that 46 mill and still be in line for another good pay day 4 years from now if he maintains his greatness...maybe the same contract again.

Good deal for both camps.

Melan-cynic
09-06-10, 11:47 AM
70% guaranteed money is great. Revis from here can earn all of that 46 mill and still be in line for another good pay day 4 years from now if he maintains his greatness...maybe the same contract again.

Good deal for both camps.Yeah, Rocket's way off. Most players get about 30-40% of their contracts guaranteed dependent on years and position [Mangold got 42% guaranteed]. Getting 70% of the deal guaranteed is a ridiculous amount.

By comparison, Asomugha's crazy contract had about 60% of the money guaranteed and, as bj already said, Revis is in line for FA again in four years as a 28 year-old.

TheManKnownAsMecca
09-06-10, 02:09 PM
Jets owner will buy tickets to avert blackout (http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/jets/jets_owner_will_buy_tickets_to_avert_zXk7YOADHJD4Ze6j7oplLL)
By BART HUBBUCH

Neither the Giants nor the Jets will be blacked out on local TV in Week 1, but there sure are going to be a lot of empty seats at New Meadowlands Stadium.

The Giants say they have sold all non-premium seating for Sunday’s opener against the Panthers, meaning the game will be broadcast locally. But the club admitted yesterday that around 1,200 club seats requiring a PSL remain unsold.

The Jets, meanwhile, are in even worse shape sales-wise for their opener next Monday night against the Ravens, with more than 1,500 non-premium seats still available in the lower sections of their new 82,500-seat home despite a recent 50-percent slash in the price of the required PSL.

That normally would put a team in danger of a local TV blackout, which the Jets haven’t endured since 1977, but the team said yesterday that there is “no chance” the Baltimore game will be blacked out.

That’s because owner Woody Johnson can spend the money to make sure it doesn’t happen.

The Jets can take advantage of a loophole in the NFL’s blackout policy that allows team owners to get their games on local TV by buying up any unsold non-premium seats for 34 cents on the dollar.

If the number of unsold non-premium PSL seats remains unchanged, that means owner Woody Johnson would have to write a check of $100,000 or more for each of the eight homes game this season just to avoid the blackout.

“We do not have to inform the league until 72 hours prior to kickoff whether or not we are blacked out, but as we have said, we will be sold out, and there is no chance of a blackout,” Jets spokesman Bruce Speight said yesterday in an e-mail.

Those tickets the team buys can then be donated to charity or to the military, as the Jaguars have done this season and in previous years.

Though both games will be on local TV, the potential for bigger stretches of empty gray seats Sunday and Monday is high when the secondary ticket market is included.

As of yesterday, there were a combined 12,100 seats for resale online to the Giants-Panthers game and a combined 12,400 tickets for resale online for the Jets-Ravens contest, according to ticket aggregator Fansnap.com.

The Giants and Jets also have several thousand unsold tickets for games later in the season after each team quietly put single-game seats on sale late last month. The Giants angered some of their fans by dropping the longstanding PSL requirement on those seats.

Good for Jets fans for saying they won't pay ridiculous prices for tickets. Make Johnson pay the $100,000+ per home game all year. Then hopefully, next year the prices will be lowered.

AMYanks
09-06-10, 02:58 PM
We released Richardson? Seriously. >=(

It looks like he'll be back.

http://twitter.com/TheJetsStream/status/23165961949

Confirmed from a source that Tony Richardson will definitely be back with #Jets (http://twitter.com/search?q=%23Jets) BEFORE Wk 1 MNF vs Ravens. #nfl (http://twitter.com/search?q=%23nfl) #nyj (http://twitter.com/search?q=%23nyj)

EDIT: Rex just confirmed in his press conference that Richardson will be re-signed.

AMYanks
09-06-10, 07:29 PM
Details of the Revis contract:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/09/06/revis-deal-pays-out-1625-million-per-year-over-first-two-years/

A holdout clause also included:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/09/06/holdout-clause-in-revis-deal-likely-wouldnt-prevent-a-holdout/

Snatch Catch
09-06-10, 07:56 PM
Details of the Revis contract:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/09/06/revis-deal-pays-out-1625-million-per-year-over-first-two-years/

A holdout clause also included:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/09/06/holdout-clause-in-revis-deal-likely-wouldnt-prevent-a-holdout/
From that article it looks like another holdout is coming in two years if they don't get his ten year deal done by then.

Melan-cynic
09-06-10, 09:07 PM
From that it certainly looks possible however, I'd like to see another outlet aside from Florio report the details of the contract - specifically the holdout clause - before I worry about it.

Jax Teller
09-07-10, 01:17 PM
Per Daily News:
"As Jets practice came to an end early Monday afternoon, Darrelle Revis, unshaven and walking slowly, emerged from the team's locker room entrance at the Atlantic Health Training Center. From afar, teammates watched him stroll toward them.

"I know it's along walk, but I was like, ‘Hurry the heck up,'" tight end Dustin Keller said.

Revis's approach quickened slightly. Teammates slowly clapped for him and bowed before the All-Pro cornerback who had held out the previous 35 days.

"We did the whole Rudy clap for him," linebacker Bart Scott said, referencing the inspirational football movie where the crowd gains momentum with each clap. "Personally, I'm just offended that I wasn't the first one to find out. He should have called me."

Center Nick Mangold, who recently signed his own long-term deal, started a chant of "Re-vis Christ!", calling his appearance similar to a Messiah's return."

:lol:

Melan-cynic
09-07-10, 01:24 PM
haha yeah saw that yesterday. His teammates really dislike him, obviously.

I also liked Manish Mehta's article describing how Revis laid low during the holdout, including wearing an afro wig to remain incognito while walking around his hometown. Still, one Pittsburgh dude recognized him.

AMYanks
09-07-10, 02:01 PM
This guy incarcerated bob, who broke the Revis story, says the Jets are going after Jarvis Green. He also says if Pace didn't get hurt, Jason Taylor would have been cut.

http://twitter.com/incarceratedbob

He may seem crazy, but his info has been spot on.

GordonGecko
09-07-10, 02:06 PM
This guy incarcerated bob, who broke the Revis story, says the Jets are going after Jarvis Green. He also says if Pace didn't get hurt, Jason Taylor would have been cut.

http://twitter.com/incarceratedbob

He may seem crazy, but his info has been spot on.
From what I've heard, this guy makes a hundred predictions a day and every once in a while one turns out true. He probably has a network of contacts that are 99% full of it, but this weekend one guy gave him real info for once. But the thing is, he tweeted about the Revis deal after it was signed, he didn't have any sort of insider info before it happened

AMYanks
09-07-10, 02:08 PM
From what I've heard, this guy makes a hundred predictions a day and every once in a while one turns out true. He probably has a network of contacts that are 99% full of it, but this weekend one guy gave him real info for once. But the thing is, he tweeted about the Revis deal after it was signed, he didn't have any sort of insider info before it happened

I don't know about his history before Revis (just what I've heard from others), but I did see his Revis news almost two hours before it broke.

Melan-cynic
09-07-10, 02:46 PM
Yeah he had the Revis info. hours before anyone else. Although I agree with GG, the guy does take a lot of random guesses to be taken too seriously.

AMYanks
09-11-10, 06:36 PM
Peter King interviewed Revis, and asked him if he would hold out again in two years. Revis said if he continues to play at this level, he probably would.

Shocking. :barf:

Snatch Catch
09-11-10, 07:02 PM
Peter King interviewed Revis, and asked him if he would hold out again in two years. Revis said if he continues to play at this level, he probably would.

I ordered a Cromartie jersey today.

RYMASTER or Ryan_Yankees
09-11-10, 07:03 PM

:lol: At least he's honest?

Melan-cynic
09-11-10, 07:18 PM
Doubt it will ever get to that. Tannenbaum himself called the 4-year contract an "intermediate step" toward keeping Revis a Jet for life. I bet they figure out a lifetime contract before that ever becomes an issue.

RYMASTER or Ryan_Yankees
09-12-10, 11:23 AM
Man, I wish the game was today.

GordonGecko
09-12-10, 11:26 AM
Man, I wish the game was today.
yeah me too

RYMASTER or Ryan_Yankees
09-12-10, 02:11 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/09/12/nfl-to-investigate-troubling-jets-locker-room-incident/?related=1

On Saturday, a female reporter from TV Azteca visited Jets practice. And she quickly became the center of attention.

In the locker room after practice, some players behaved in a manner that multiple reporters regarded as inappropriate. And now the league is investigating the situation.

"When we first heard of it, we immediately started the process of looking into it," NFL spokesman Greg Aiello told USA Today. "It's troubling. We've had contact with the team multiple times and are moving very aggressively to establish the facts."

-snip-

GordonGecko
09-12-10, 02:23 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/09/12/nfl-to-investigate-troubling-jets-locker-room-incident/?related=1
This is the reporter in question:
http://guanabee.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/ines-sainz-superbowl1-450x540.jpg http://urbansportstalk.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/ines2.jpg
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_OveJgXCOExU/TDHd5U4tHcI/AAAAAAAAAWA/FAQoqkBN8pQ/s1600/106115-4.jpg

just-blaze
09-12-10, 07:25 PM
This is the reporter in question:
http://guanabee.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/ines-sainz-superbowl1-450x540.jpg http://urbansportstalk.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/ines2.jpg
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_OveJgXCOExU/TDHd5U4tHcI/AAAAAAAAAWA/FAQoqkBN8pQ/s1600/106115-4.jpg

She's a good looking gal, but really fellas? You don't have enough groupies with some being as good looking as her?

AMYanks
09-12-10, 09:50 PM
http://twitter.com/thejetsstream

RT @KevinGArmstrong #Jets behavior with female television reporter in locker room Saturday was addressed in team meeting tonight

RT @KevinGArmstrong #Jets scheduling an awareness and education session with a rep from the Association of Women in Sports Media

NBC-NY has been promoting this as the lead story for its 11 PM news all through out the game tonight. Unreal. A provocatively dressed female reporter walks into a mens locker room and hears some harmless cat calls? Someone alert the church elders!

RYMASTER or Ryan_Yankees
09-12-10, 09:52 PM
http://twitter.com/thejetsstream

NBC-NY has been promoting this as the lead story for its 11 PM news all through out the game tonight. Unreal. A provocatively dressed female reporter walks into a mens locker room and hears some harmless cat calls? Someone alert the church elders!

Agreed that it's not a big story, but in the post-Rapelesberger era, it's bound to be an issue.

DRobertsonNYY
09-12-10, 09:58 PM
look at who the dude is taking a pic of in that pic :lol:

RYMASTER or Ryan_Yankees
09-13-10, 02:15 AM
I'm getting the same emotion tonight that I do before the Yankees seasons starts. I can't sleep. :o

AMYanks
09-13-10, 03:28 PM
The reporter was just on CNN. She said the media totally blew the story out of proportion and she was shocked it became such big news.

It's refreshing to see someone be honest instead of trying to capitalize on the attention and public sympathy.

kan_t
09-13-10, 03:35 PM
The reporter was just on CNN. She said the media totally blew the story out of proportion and she was shocked it became such big news.

It's refreshing to see someone be honest instead of trying to capitalize on the attention and public sympathy.
It seems that the season opener is not enough for some reporters to write a story.

Melan-cynic
09-13-10, 05:05 PM
I love how several news outlets went ahead with the story as some major breaking news before even thinking of asking the reporter herself if it was. Way to go guys.

montrealer
09-13-10, 05:39 PM
I'm getting the same emotion tonight that I do before the Yankees seasons starts. I can't sleep. :o
Hope you guys don`t let me down............with all the hype I hope it`s not all :gulp: smoke and mirrors.......

RYMASTER or Ryan_Yankees
09-13-10, 05:40 PM
Apparently the game is going to be delayed "at least a half hour" by lightning.

:giveup:

montrealer
09-13-10, 05:47 PM
Apparently the game is going to be delayed "at least a half hour" by lightning.

:giveup:
Hang in there......:smokin: 25 min delay

Melan-cynic
09-13-10, 07:24 PM
Friggin' Jinx can't catch a break. Defense can be an alltime great if he could stay on the field but that knee injury didn't look good.

RYMASTER or Ryan_Yankees
09-13-10, 07:28 PM
Too many penalties. Oy.

Melan-cynic
09-13-10, 07:28 PM
That too. The Braylon illegal shift was terrible/killer.

PlsDontTearDownY.S.
09-13-10, 08:03 PM
Unbelievable.10 penalties for 100 yards. The Jets are like the Raiders east

Melan-cynic
09-13-10, 08:31 PM
Except they don't suck....?

Jax Teller
09-13-10, 08:45 PM
Blow me, Cromartie.