PDA

View Full Version : The 2010 New York Jets Thread

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

MTYankee23
03-17-10, 08:38 AM
I didn't see this posted earlier in the thread, but it looks like the Jets will host a game on Thanksgiving. Between that and the first MNF game, I'd say the Jets got the better end of the deal.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/2010/03/17/2010-03-17_turkey_night_at_swamp.html?r=sports%2Ffootball%2Fjets&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+nydnrss%2Fsports%2Ffootball%2Fjets+%28Sports%2FFootball%2FJets%29

Brick Tamland
03-17-10, 08:43 AM
For example, I heard a debate on the radio a couple of weeks ago that the host was going on and on about how he'd take Eli over Rodgers in a heartbeat because Eli has won a championship. When it comes to wanting to build a team around a QB going forward, I don't even think Eli and Rodgers are in the same sentence, personally.

I have no idea if Sanchez is that guy, but considering the move they made to get him, I'm putting the bar at a career like Aaron Rodgers' rather than a pedestrian one like Eli's.

Fair enough. I can't find the numbers doing a quick google search but Eli's a very "clutch" performer. I believe his QB rating in the 4th quarter last season was well over 100.0. I'm not sure if the same can be said for Rodgers, although you'll get no argument from me that Aaron is always going to post the better numbers. I also believe Eli has one of the highest come-back win totals since 2004 but I have no numbers to back that up so you can dismiss that if you like.

Bottom line is as a fan, I feel pretty confident when Eli has the ball and the Giants are down late in a game. I'm not sure I'd feel that way if Rodgers were under center.

Melan-cynic
03-17-10, 11:09 AM
Rodgers and Rivers over Manning in a heart beat in terms of teambuilding.

Also, not sure how I feel about this:

Report: Jets are the leading choice of HBO for Hard Knocks
Mar 17 3/17/2010 9:26:50 AM

Peter King of Sports Illustrated reports on Sirius NFL Radio that the leading team to be on Hard Knocks this year is the New York Jets. The Jets hierarchy will need to approve it but if they do, the Jets are the team that HBO wants.

dabomb2045
03-17-10, 11:13 AM
Pretty cool if you ask me. Certainly didnt hurt the Bengals last year.

BillBuckner
03-17-10, 11:16 AM
I can only imagine how entertaining that show would be with Rex.

CallOfTheCrow
03-17-10, 12:48 PM
Tony Richardson re-signed.

RYMASTER or Ryan_Yankees
03-17-10, 04:13 PM

He'll be in the AARP before he retires. :lol:

dabomb2045
03-17-10, 04:14 PM
He'll be in the AARP before he retires. :lol:

Even with his AARP card and his ability to order off the senior menu at restaurants...he'll still be one of the best FB's in the league :D

dabomb2045
03-17-10, 04:29 PM
Btw whats everyone think about Brandon Graham w/our 1st round pick? He might be available at 29 although we may have to trade up a bit.....he's the pass rushing kind of OLB we need playing the 3-4. He can for us what Harrison is for the Steelers.

I really would look at a pass rusher in Round 1, then maybe a corner or safety in Round 2. JMO. Btw I want no part of Taylor Mays in the 1st round....I keep hearing good straightaway speed but his "stiff hips"....which is the same crap I heard about Gholston (meaning when he changes direction, his speed drops drastically). Stay away from him please.

just-blaze
03-17-10, 06:10 PM
Am I the only one who doesnt care which team opens the stadium? I mean is it that big of a deal? Its something nobody will remember the week after it happens.

Seems like alot of whining and bickering over something thats nothing.

^this.

PlsDontTearDownY.S.
03-18-10, 03:30 PM

Nice...he's a major component of the Jets running machine

CallOfTheCrow
03-19-10, 08:49 PM
They signed Lance Laury.

PlsDontTearDownY.S.
03-24-10, 12:27 PM
Jets to be on Hard Knocks

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/2010/03/24/2010-03-24_jets_to_star_in_hbos_hard_knocks.html

Ehhh...unnecessary distractions.

dabomb2045
03-24-10, 12:50 PM
I think its great. We'll get to watch our team up close and see alot of inside stuff.

Distractions? That part of it is overrated. Didnt hurt the Bengals last year, did it?

Snatch Catch
03-24-10, 12:52 PM
Excited and scared all at the same time.

PlsDontTearDownY.S.
03-24-10, 01:33 PM
I think its great. We'll get to watch our team up close and see alot of inside stuff.

Distractions? That part of it is overrated. Didnt hurt the Bengals last year, did it?

Well...at least the Bengals made the playoffs...but don't we already have enough hype building up for this season? Do we need this?

Melan-cynic
03-24-10, 01:40 PM
Excited and scared all at the same time.This.

Like I originally posted: http://www.nyyfans.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6668391&postcount=253

Hellsing
03-24-10, 01:55 PM
Jets to be on Hard Knocks

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/2010/03/24/2010-03-24_jets_to_star_in_hbos_hard_knocks.html

Ehhh...unnecessary distractions.

F*cking cool. Finally a team I like to see do well (despite being a Giants fan) on a show that I really enjoy watching.

PlsDontTearDownY.S.
03-24-10, 03:28 PM
F*cking cool. Finally a team I like to see do well (despite being a Giants fan) on a show that I really enjoy watching.

Yea...I'll watch and I'm sure it will be interesting given that it's the Jets...I just don't think the benefits are good enough to outweigh the distractions. Almost every team except one had a crap season after taking part in Hard Knocks, and some of them were loaded with talent.

I mean this is the team that went hundreds of miles away to have total seclusion in the upstate NY woods last year, and now they want cameras everywhere they go? Don't get it.

Kerry Rhodes must be steaming though that he won't be around to to take part in it, this show was made for him

dabomb2045
03-25-10, 10:04 AM
The distraction thing is just overrated. If the Jets have a bad season...it wont be cuz cameras were following them around training camp and because the coaches were asked to do a few extra interviews.

b-ball-lunachick
03-25-10, 10:12 AM
Stalker..
Am not. I practically live in the town. you shush. :P :D

The distraction thing is just overrated. If the Jets have a bad season...it wont be cuz cameras were following them around training camp and because the coaches were asked to do a few extra interviews.
Agreed. If I was a Jets fan, I'd be psyched.

I wonder how much of the Jets being chosen has to do with Big Rex..like him or hate him, he's a character that will give a lot of good soundbites. :D

PlsDontTearDownY.S.
03-25-10, 02:06 PM

Maybe. But it definitely won't help the Jets. If thousands of PSL's weren't unsold, I don't think this whole thing would be going down.

dabomb2045
03-25-10, 11:18 PM
Maybe. But it definitely won't help the Jets. If thousands of PSL's weren't unsold, I don't think this whole thing would be going down.

I'd much rather see the Jets like this....then Mangini's clandestine operation where everything was a state secret.

I'm looking forward to this show alot. HBO has done a good job w/it in the past.

CallOfTheCrow
03-30-10, 01:01 PM
Cimini's draft predictions for the Jets:

1. DE Jared Odrick, Penn State (6-5, 304) -- The Jets have four returning defensive linemen with legit experience, and three (Shaun Ellis, Kris Jenkins and Sione Pouha) are at least 30. Jenkins is returning from major knee surgery, Ellis has a bad knee and UFA Marques Douglas is unlikely to re-sign, based on what Rex Ryan was saying last week. It's time for some fresh blood here. Odrick is valuable because he can play in multiple fronts. He's scheduled to visit the Jets on April 5 and 6.

2. S Taylor Mays, USC (6-3, 230) -- The Jets didn't break the bank for Brodney Pool (one year, $1.3 million), so it's not like they're handing him Kerry Rhodes' old starting job. Mays was a highly decorated college player and he reportedly ran in the 4.2s at the combine, but beware: Based on what some scouts are saying, he could be the Vernon Gholston of safeties -- off-the-charts measurables, but athletically stiff.

3. G Mike Iupati, Idaho (6-5, 331) -- Just a hunch based on value. It would be drafting to a strength, but we all know how much Ryan values his O-line.

4. WR Dez Bryant, Oklahoma State (6-2, 225) -- It's unlikely the Jets will take a receiver in the first round, but if the ultra-talented Bryant falls because of off-the-field concerns, I could see them scooping him up. Bryant's Pro Day is tomorrow, which should clarify his status -- maybe. The Jets have good money invested in receivers Jerricho Cotchery and Braylon Edwards, but Edwards probably will play on a one-year deal and could bolt in 2011.

5. DE Corey Wootton, Northwestern (6-6, 270) -- A Jersey kid (Don Bosco Prep) who is a borderline first/second rounder. He has the ideal frame to play end in a 34 front. He got off to a slow start last season because he blew out his knee in the 2008 Alamo Bowl, but he has the physical attributes and the intangibles to be a good one.

Melan-cynic
03-30-10, 01:03 PM
Saw that. Not a fan of Cimini's list.

Snatch Catch
03-30-10, 01:07 PM
If Bryant or Thomas fell to them I'd be prefectly fine with a WR in the 1st.

Otherwise, go straight defense. I think someone nice will be there for the taking. Someone will fall, whether it's Kindle, Dunlap, E. Thomas, or whomever. I have a feeling I'm really going to like the pick the Jets make in the 1st, or really like the picks they acquire if they make a trade to move down.

Melan-cynic
03-30-10, 01:24 PM
If Bryant or Thomas fell to them I'd be prefectly fine with a WR in the 1st.Same here just don't see it happening.

Snatch Catch
03-30-10, 01:29 PM
I think there's a chance that Thomas falls.

Melan-cynic
03-30-10, 01:35 PM
I think there's a chance that Thomas falls.I meant I don't see it happening that they'd go WR in the 1st round, not that I find it impossible that Thomas would fall. That said, I see no chance of Dez Bryant falling to them.

just-blaze
03-30-10, 04:25 PM
IDK, Odrick would be an underwhelming pick, but I can't say that I would hate it.

Really hope we trade up to get Earl Thomas......I think he'll be in the 22-26 range.

Snatch Catch
03-31-10, 07:58 AM
IDK, Odrick would be an underwhelming pick, but I can't say that I would hate it.

Really hope we trade up to get Earl Thomas......I think he'll be in the 22-26 range.

If he ends up in the 22-26 range I'd think they'd trade up yet again to get him. He's the goods and they have a great need at the position.

PinstripePride
04-06-10, 10:16 PM
FWIW, I really, really don't like losing Feeley.

dabomb2045
04-07-10, 10:58 AM
Apparently the Jets are wooing Jason Taylor heavily....and might offer him a contract as early as today

Melan-cynic
04-07-10, 11:10 AM
Can't they only offer the $1.5M left in Feeley's departure? If so, doubt that's enough to sign Taylor. Not that I want him anyway.

dabomb2045
04-07-10, 11:13 AM
Can't they only offer the $1.5M left in Feeley's departure? If so, doubt that's enough to sign Taylor. Not that I want him anyway.

A Miami newspaper said they're gonna offer him 1-year $3M. Thats the only place I've seen a number figure yet. Everywhere else is just saying they are in talks and that "an offer might come today".

We do need a pass rusher and I would assume he'll play mostly on passing downs. I wouldnt be against it....just would be weird to see him as a Jet after all the years in Miami--and all the trash talk he spewed regarding the Jets.

RYMASTER or Ryan_Yankees
04-07-10, 11:24 AM
Apparently the Jets are wooing Jason Taylor heavily....and might offer him a contract as early as today

:barf:

Snatch Catch
04-07-10, 11:37 AM
Really? What the hell is this? The most hated guy by the fans, and the guy who has no problem openly revealing his disdain for the Jets fanbase? Really?

This is 10 times worse than if the Yankees signed a guy like Papelbon.

RYMASTER or Ryan_Yankees
04-07-10, 11:43 AM
Really? What the hell is this? The most hated guy by the fans, and the guy who has no problem openly revealing his disdain for the Jets fanbase? Really?

This makes Benitez to the Yankees a feel good story. :lol:

PlsDontTearDownY.S.
04-07-10, 12:27 PM

For real. I want no part of that washed up South Beach cabana boy.

dabomb2045
04-07-10, 02:18 PM

If I could warm up to Roger Clemens--who I loathed with a firey passion in Boston/Toronto....its possible for me to root to warm up to anyone....regardless of where they were before (and what they said).

DrNick
04-11-10, 10:33 PM
Jets acquire Santonio Holmes for 5th rd pick

RYMASTER or Ryan_Yankees
04-11-10, 10:35 PM
Jets acquire Santonio Holmes for 5th rd pick

Didn't see that one coming at all.

EDIT: Isn't he suspended for the first four games of 2010?

yanke26
04-11-10, 10:39 PM
Didn't see that one coming at all.

EDIT: Isn't he suspended for the first four games of 2010?

Yes and so might be Edwards. Still a great trade for a 5th rounder.

Clete
04-11-10, 10:42 PM
Jets are going to be a team to watch next year. They've made a lot of offseason moves and we'll see how they play out in the season. Right now though they look really good.

YanksFan1992
04-11-10, 10:51 PM
The guy had 1248 receiving yards and 5 TD's last year, and he's only 26. Great trade by the Jets.

YanksFan1992
04-11-10, 10:54 PM
Seriously this is a fantastic trade. They got essentially a Pro Bowl receiver, albeit with legal trouble for a fifth round pick. Wow.

themgmt
04-11-10, 11:20 PM
Awesome.

yankeesAZ
04-11-10, 11:44 PM
Great move. What a mugging by the Jets.

dabomb2045
04-12-10, 12:21 AM
Straight up steal for the Jets. 26 year old WR, just entering his prime and with a world of talent. Holmes/Braylon is a nice WR tandem, along with Cotchery as the #3 (where he really belongs) and Keller at TE. Sanchez will have alot of weapons.

just-blaze
04-12-10, 12:51 AM
Jeez, when did the Jets turn into the Yankees........maybe Cash is on the payroll.

Someone needs to tell the GMs of the league that just b/c Tannenbaum says he has a gun doesn't mean they have to give him what he wants.

Melan-cynic
04-12-10, 12:51 AM
Pass the champagne.

JeffWeaverFan
04-12-10, 07:45 AM
What a steal. Our team is looking pretty great. Hope Sanchez is ready to step up.

TheManKnownAsMecca
04-12-10, 08:12 AM
Wow, what an acquisition for the Jets.

pjfan
04-12-10, 09:55 AM
Hard to believe nobody would offer more than a 5th rounder for him, suspension and all.

Great move for the Jets.

mentalgidget
04-12-10, 10:13 AM
Hard to believe nobody would offer more than a 5th rounder for him, suspension and all.

Great move for the Jets.

Rumors are that the Jets did offer more...

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/04/12/leon-washington-can-be-part-of-trade-package-only-after-signing-his-tender/

RYMASTER or Ryan_Yankees
04-12-10, 10:54 AM
Any chance the NFL would stagger Edwards' and Holmes' suspensions? :-whistle-

TheManKnownAsMecca
04-12-10, 11:03 AM
The Jets are in good position this year and will then get to decide which receiver (Edwards or Holmes) gets big money from them next year.

Snatch Catch
04-12-10, 11:10 AM
Rumors are that the Jets did offer more...

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/04/12/leon-washington-can-be-part-of-trade-package-only-after-signing-his-tender/

That's more like "a rumor" and it doesn't seem very founded - the author even acknowledges it as such.

PinstripePride
04-12-10, 11:13 AM
I LOVE this. What a steal.

Anyone see Ochocinco on twitter complaining that the Jets need to be stopped? :lol:

Kluivert4Ever
04-12-10, 11:15 AM
The Jets basically got a young Plaxico Burress, great trade if he can stay out of trouble.

Melan-cynic
04-12-10, 11:31 AM
The Jets basically got a young Plaxico Burress, great trade if he can stay out of trouble.I fail to see the comparison. It's a no-brainer move but they're totally different types of talents. Holmes is 5'11 and around 190 while Burress was a freakish athlete at 6'5, 230.

Kluivert4Ever
04-12-10, 11:37 AM
I fail to see the comparison. It's a no-brainer move but they're totally different types of talents. Holmes is 5'11 and around 190 while Burress was a freakish athlete at 6'5, 230.

Was thinking more of their personality though, they are both gifted with some amazing talents but their problems have been off the field and like Plax if Holmes can stay out of trouble oh my, kid is gonna rake. He was my second favourite recieiver behind Plax, this kid could just be fantastic if he got his head on straight.

Snatch Catch
04-12-10, 11:40 AM
Was thinking more of their personality though, they are both gifted with some amazing talents but their problems have been off the field and like Plax if Holmes can stay out of trouble oh my, kid is gonna rake. He was my second favourite recieiver behind Plax, this kid could just be fantastic if he got his head on straight.

:lol: Klu, the term "rake" only applies to hitting well in baseball, not doing anything things atheltically well in general.

Brick Tamland
04-12-10, 12:07 PM
Hard Knocks should prove interesting...

Kluivert4Ever
04-12-10, 12:08 PM
:lol: Klu, the term "rake" only applies to hitting well in baseball, not doing anything things atheltically well in general.

My bad;)

kan_t
04-12-10, 01:42 PM
The Jets basically got a young Plaxico Burress, great trade if he can stay out of trouble.
It only makes sense for the Steelers to make this trade if they view him as another Burress. Both have off-field issues. Both won't stay when they hit FA. Burress did help the Giants to win one. But the Steelers also won one right after they let Burress go. So I don't think their front office really care.

Reggie Smith
04-12-10, 02:16 PM
Kan_t has it.

Someone needed to be made a fall-guy here, and it wasn't going to be Ben. Holmes has had several run-ins with the law, and his tweeting wasn't going to endure him to the fanchise any longer. They have consistently shown to be a franchise that will jettison a player if they are going to cause problems, and that is what they have here.

I for one will miss him. In their last SB year, arguably three of the top five biggest plays of the season were made by Holmes. But, when you are tweeting that you are waking-n-baking, when you've already been busted once and possibly a second time is coming, time to go.

Like Burress, he can still play but I don't think he'll be long for the NFL.

Snatch Catch
04-12-10, 02:22 PM
Kan_t has it.

Someone needed to be made a fall-guy here, and it wasn't going to be Ben. Holmes has had several run-ins with the law, and his tweeting wasn't going to endure him to the fanchise any longer. They have consistently shown to be a franchise that will jettison a player if they are going to cause problems, and that is what they have here.

That sounds more like wishful thinking by idealistic Steeler fans rather than reality.

Up until this trade they've only shown the gumption to "take a stand" when it came to non-important personnel (see: Harrison, James). The Steeler Way that I've seen fans trumpeting seems very similar to the notion of Yankee Class - while there may be an element of truth to it, they'll get their hands dirty the same as everyone else when it comes to winning.

They traded him for the same reason that many other teams would have - his value to the francvhise was being comprimised by his off-field problems and coupled with his contract situation, he had become much more expendable.

Mark19
04-12-10, 02:29 PM
Kan_t has it.

I for one will miss him. In their last SB year, arguably three of the top five biggest plays of the season were made by Holmes. But, when you are tweeting that you are waking-n-baking, when you've already been busted once and possibly a second time is coming, time to go.

Like Burress, he can still play but I don't think he'll be long for the NFL.

What exactly have the Steelers shown? To borrow an excerpt from KSK

“If you go out to bars and get accused of raping chicks, we will totally trade some other guy and make this team ................tier. DON’T THINK WE WON’T DO IT.”

I have heard from many people now that this Holmes trade supposedly was meant to send a message to Roethlisberger. This is retarded on about nine different levels. Here now is how one would “send a message” to Big Ben regarding his offseason travails:

1. Call Ben.
2. Tell Ben: “Hey you, quit going out to bars a lot and getting accused of raping chicks. You s***head.”

That would be sending a message. You know what is NOT sending a message? Trading a Super Bowl MVP with problems of his own for basically nothing. That is not a message. That is a franchise hastily selling low on a valuable asset. DID YOU FOLKS NOT LEARN THIS IN FIRST GRADE MESSAGEOLOGY 101?

http://kissingsuzykolber.uproxx.com/2010/04/peter-king-says-respect-the-coal.html#more-25702

All the Steelers are showing is that they have an unnatural amount of affection for a damaged QB who has shown himself to be dangerously irresponsible and possibly criminal on multiple occasions.

kan_t
04-12-10, 02:31 PM
That sounds more like wishful thinking by idealistic Steeler fans rather than reality.

Up until this trade they've only shown the gumption to "take a stand" when it came to non-important personnel (see: Harrison, James). The Steeler Way that I've seen fans trumpeting seems very similar to the notion of Yankee Class - while there may be an element of truth to it, they'll get their hands dirty the same as everyone else when it comes to winning.

They traded him for the same reason that many other teams would have - his value to the francvhise was being comprimised by his off-field problems and coupled with his contract situation, he had become much more expendable.
I don't think all of their players are clean and good citizen. But the front office and owner do want to build up a good image. When your QB and No.1 WR got in trouble in the same year, it sure doens't help. And when they saw how thing turned out in Burress case and they have a WR who seems to step up this year. Trading Holmes is an easy decision for them to make.

Jax Teller
04-12-10, 03:00 PM
http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2010/04/12/if-holmes-deal-is-true-steelers-have-lost-their-minds/

PlsDontTearDownY.S.
04-12-10, 03:25 PM
Wow, Tannenbaum is really going all in this season. To get all of this done with the free agent restrictions while not losing the 1st round pick is pretty impressive.

just-blaze
04-12-10, 04:44 PM
Alright Tannenbaum.......lets go for the jugular.

Earl Thomas.

Snatch Catch
04-12-10, 04:52 PM
If Thomas fell enough, and the Jets actually traded up to get him within reason, I'd Joba fistpump until I needed to see Dr. Andrews.

PinstripePride
04-12-10, 05:08 PM
http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2010/04/12/if-holmes-deal-is-true-steelers-have-lost-their-minds/

I feel like this is the New York equivalent to when the Pats got Randy Moss for a moldy bag of lawn seed.

What are the NYYF Jets fans thought on the rumors of Jason Taylor coming to New York? I personally think he's a major douche, but if he can give us 5-10 sacks, I can't say I'm that against it. I'm done with the Ghost.

Jax Teller
04-12-10, 05:14 PM
I feel like this is the New York equivalent to when the Pats got Randy Moss for a moldy bag of lawn seed.

What are the NYYF Jets fans thought on the rumors of Jason Taylor coming to New York? I personally think he's a major douche, but if he can give us 5-10 sacks, I can't say I'm that against it. I'm done with the Ghost.

I don't care how much I dislike a player, regardless of the sport...if he can come to my team & contribute, I'd welcome him. I don't have to like him but I still cheer for the jersey first & foremost.

PlsDontTearDownY.S.
04-12-10, 06:49 PM
I don't like the idea of the Jets bending over backwards for Jason Taylor. I read in the Post today that a holdup in Taylor signing here is that he doesn't want to have to participate in offseason workouts. What a way to ingratiate yourself to your new team, should he end up signing. Every other new Jet is talking about how they can't wait to talk to their new teammates, go to practice, etc. and then you have Jason Taylor, of all people, making demands. I could maybe see it if he was still in his prime, but those days are long gone. Don't do us any favors, nuckfuts.

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/jets/source_taylor_taking_his_time_x7GQ8M2Br9BM7ztANPQeIM

PinstripePride
04-12-10, 10:23 PM
I don't like the idea of the Jets bending over backwards for Jason Taylor. I read in the Post today that a holdup in Taylor signing here is that he doesn't want to have to participate in offseason workouts. What a way to ingratiate yourself to your new team, should he end up signing. Every other new Jet is talking about how they can't wait to talk to their new teammates, go to practice, etc. and then you have Jason Taylor, of all people, making demands. I could maybe see it if he was still in his prime, but those days are long gone. Don't do us any favors, nuckfuts.

Brett Favre 2.0?

cyhughes22
04-13-10, 03:01 AM
Brett Favre 2.0?

Except he's not as good as Brett Favre. I hate Jason Taylor not just as a Jets fan but as a man. Ever since he pulled that crap with the Dolphins where he was more interested in dancing like a fairy on TV than showing up to camp and committing himself to the team that signed his paychecks I've hated him. If we're going to have a diva on this team it had better be freaking prime Gastineau or LT, not this douche.

PinstripePride
04-13-10, 05:16 PM
Does anyone post over at TGG forums? There's a thread there about Leon Washington in which half the posters are basically pushing the guy out the door, and I don't get it at ALL. He is our most explosive player, and possibly the only guy we have with the capability to take it to the house every time he touches the ball. I am fully aware that he is coming off a major injury, but I really don't understand the attitude being directed at him. I want him back, badly, and not traded for a crummy 3rd round pick or worse.

Snatch Catch
04-13-10, 06:51 PM
A 3rd round pick, in this draft especially, is FAR from crummy. That's where I think your diconnect is.

PinstripePride
04-13-10, 08:48 PM
And yet a pick 2 rounds later is considered highway robbery for a player who, IMO, isn't as explosive an offensive talent...I don't know. Just seems like Wash has been kicked to the curb.

Snatch Catch
04-13-10, 11:19 PM
And yet a pick 2 rounds later is considered highway robbery for a player who, IMO, isn't as explosive an offensive talent...I don't know. Just seems like Wash has been kicked to the curb.

Santonio Holmes isn't as explosive an offensive talent as Leon? C'mon man, that's crazy.

In any draft there's a huge difference in a 3rd round pick and a 5th round pick, and given the pick sent for Holmes (end of the 5th), we're looking at about double the distance from where the thrid rounder would be. That's very, very significant, not just "two round later."

I'm sure you've probably heard this before, but it bears repeating. The feature back that everyone is so psyched about this year for the Jets was...a 3rd round pick last year, and this draft is MUCH deeper.

Aside from Greene, Jamaal Charles, Steve Slaton, Jerious Norwood, and Frank Gore are all 3rd round RB selections since 2005.

Given the accumen that Tanny has shown in the draft recently, and the depth of this draft specifically, I'd wager a lot of money that if they take a back in the first three rounds we're going to be pretty damn happy with him in the future.

PinstripePride
04-14-10, 08:36 AM
Good points. As for the explosive thing, granted, I haven't seen much of Holmes, but Wash just seems like he can score anytime he touches the ball. There aren't many guys like that. We'll see how it turns out i guess, I just find it strange how he went from our best offensive player to everyone pushing him out the door in under 6 months.

TheManKnownAsMecca
04-14-10, 09:03 AM
Good points. As for the explosive thing, granted, I haven't seen much of Holmes, but Wash just seems like he can score anytime he touches the ball. There aren't many guys like that. We'll see how it turns out i guess, I just find it strange how he went from our best offensive player to everyone pushing him out the door in under 6 months.

The only problem with your argument IMO is that RBs are pretty easy to find and replace. Also, their shelf life isn't very long (once they hit 30 it starts to go downhill generally). Finding good WRs is much more difficult and Holmes has shown that he has the ability to be a star WR if he can keep out of trouble.

Snatch Catch
04-14-10, 09:09 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=or-k41BjfCk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1FhXtZHyRg

Snatch Catch
04-14-10, 09:41 AM
Oh, and if you want the younger version of Leon, here's who gets picked in the draft:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vu2L4Wquz54

dabomb2045
04-14-10, 11:20 AM
Or we could just keep Leon and use the picks on areas in which we are weak.

Snatch Catch
04-14-10, 11:46 AM
Or we could just keep Leon and use the picks on areas in which we are weak.

They'd use the picks there anyway. They're getting an additional, nice pick if Leon isn't re-signed.

chanman7483
04-15-10, 09:47 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=or-k41BjfCk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1FhXtZHyRg

Love it. Having flashbacks of Cotchery returning punts...would be nice to see some explosiveness out of that position, something we lost when Leon went down.

What's up with all the crappy tackling going on in football? Watching that punt return video, the guy on the Chargers had a great line on Holmes and threw himself at Holmes' legs. It happens a lot in football. I guess part of it has to do w/ the fact that the guys sometimes are bigger and that's what it takes to bring them down, but it's just crappy tackling and leads to things like that - huge plays. Drives me nuts. Could've just pushed him out of bounds or something.

machphantom
04-20-10, 02:16 PM
Jayson Taylor to the Jets for 1/3.75 mil... This should be an interesting year.

Melan-cynic
04-20-10, 02:17 PM
:barf:

TheManKnownAsMecca
04-20-10, 02:23 PM
You guys are like the Washington Redskins of the AFC this year. That said, I think you guys will actually be successful.

dabomb2045
04-20-10, 02:29 PM
He's gonna play mostly on pass rushing downs. And if he can pile up some sacks in those situations....he'll be a welcome addition to this team.

TheManKnownAsMecca
04-20-10, 02:32 PM
I see that you guys are trying to deal Alan Faneca, Shaun Ellis, and Bryan Thomas. They will be waived after the draft if no one trades for them. Faneca was great last year. Is it due to his age and contract?

Melan-cynic
04-20-10, 02:36 PM
I see that you guys are trying to deal Alan Faneca, Shaun Ellis, and Bryan Thomas. They will be waived after the draft if no one trades for them. Faneca was great last year. Is it due to his age and contract?Not will, they may be waived after the draft.

I think Faneca was down last year compared to his 2008 but I wouldn't be surprised if they kept him.

dabomb2045
04-20-10, 02:54 PM
I see that you guys are trying to deal Alan Faneca, Shaun Ellis, and Bryan Thomas. They will be waived after the draft if no one trades for them. Faneca was great last year. Is it due to his age and contract?

Faneca declined last year significantly and began to show his age. He's the weak link on the O-line now. Thomas has underachieved since signing a long-term deal. Ellis is still a rock....I guess that comes to money or the Jets wanting to get younger.

Snatch Catch
04-20-10, 03:24 PM
You guys are like the Washington Redskins of the AFC this year. That said, I think you guys will actually be successful.

So what you're saying is the Jets aren't like the Redskins.

PinstripePride
04-20-10, 03:47 PM
Not a fan of Taylor, but if he puts pressure on the QB, I'll take it. Gholston sure as hell isn't going to do it.

Yankeesfan924
04-20-10, 04:40 PM
OGOchoCinco:

@nflcommish (http://twitter.com/nflcommish) Roger, the NY JETS are out of control with these off season additions, is George Steinbrenner the owner now?

RYMASTER or Ryan_Yankees
04-20-10, 04:58 PM
LOL @ whiners.

PinstripePride
04-20-10, 05:32 PM
Hahaha, I love Ocho. :lol:

He wishes he was Santonio.

dabomb2045
04-20-10, 05:46 PM
Most of my Jet fan friends are hating this move....."Taylor's an ass..blah blah blah". I think we need to remember that as fans we root for the JERSEY and not the individual player. They treat it as a business--we should as well. I root for the Jets and whatever players happen to be on the team. Sure I might have certain guys I like....but thats secondary behind the team. Do I like Jason Taylor? No. Does it matter now how I feel about him? NO. Because he is a Jet. Which means he gets the same support from me that everyone else on the team does. Jason Taylor doing well means the Jets will succeed. I hope he now eats Chad Henne alive when we play Miami.

dabomb2045
04-20-10, 06:28 PM
2010 Schedule:

Sep 13 vs Baltimore (Mon night)....7pm
Sep 19 vs Patriots.................415pm
Sep 26 at Dolphins (Sun night)....820pm
Oct 3 at Bills........................1pm
Oct 11 vs Vikings (Mon night)....830pm
Oct 17 at Broncos.................415pm
Oct 24 BYE
Oct 31 vs Packers.................1pm
Nov 7 at Lions.....................1pm
Oct 14 at Browns..................1pm
Oct 21 vs Texans..................1pm
Oct 25 vs Bengals (T-Giving)....820pm
Dec 6 at Patriots (Mon night)....830pm
Dec 12 vs Dolphins.................415pm
Dec 19 at Steelers...................415pm
Dec 26 at Bears.......................1pm
Jan 2 vs Bills...........................1pm

RYMASTER or Ryan_Yankees
04-20-10, 07:04 PM
Three MNF games. :cool:

PinstripePride
04-20-10, 07:43 PM
Most of my Jet fan friends are hating this move....."Taylor's an ass..blah blah blah". I think we need to remember that as fans we root for the JERSEY and not the individual player. They treat it as a business--we should as well. I root for the Jets and whatever players happen to be on the team. Sure I might have certain guys I like....but thats secondary behind the team. Do I like Jason Taylor? No. Does it matter now how I feel about him? NO. Because he is a Jet. Which means he gets the same support from me that everyone else on the team does. Jason Taylor doing well means the Jets will succeed. I hope he now eats Chad Henne alive when we play Miami.

All great points, and I'm on board with you, but I think people are starting to worry that we're becoming the Washington Redskins, and there is a certain amount of merit to that. I hope Taylor doesn't cause clubhouse issues. I fully expect him to not be a problem and end up being a decent signing, but I do understand the concern.

Yankeesfan924
04-20-10, 08:27 PM
Three MNF games. :cool:

As somone who lives out of market: *drool*

RYMASTER or Ryan_Yankees
04-20-10, 08:31 PM
As somone who lives out of market: *drool*

EXACTLY! With five prime time games, the number of games I have to go to a bar to see is going down, which is a good thing.

dabomb2045
04-20-10, 08:33 PM
All great points, and I'm on board with you, but I think people are starting to worry that we're becoming the Washington Redskins, and there is a certain amount of merit to that. I hope Taylor doesn't cause clubhouse issues. I fully expect him to not be a problem and end up being a decent signing, but I do understand the concern.

I dont get the Redskins comparison being made by the media. Holmes and Cromartie are in their primes--actually they might just be entering their primes. Yeah Tomlinson and Taylor are vets who are past their best years....but Taylor is still quite good as a pass rusher--which is something the team needs and lacked last season--- nd the Jets obviously feel Tomlinson will succeed behind their O-line in the 3rd down role (I would have kept Jones--I've stated this opinion in this thread before....but whats done is done).

Tannenbaum it seems trusts Ryan to handle all the personalities. Ryan's a players coach...so I dont think we'll have any issues. Players seem to love to play for him. Its a 180 from the Mangini era.

PinstripePride
04-20-10, 08:51 PM
Agreed, Mike. I'm just saying that I do see the concern and it's possible that all of these new (and troubled) personalities being added in one off-season could disrupt the awesome vibe we had going. I don't think it'll be an issue, personally, but I definitely understand the concern.

keg411
04-20-10, 11:20 PM
I give the Jets major credit for taking advantage of the uncapped year :).

Snatch Catch
04-20-10, 11:26 PM
OGOchoCinco:

@nflcommish (http://twitter.com/nflcommish) Roger, the NY JETS are out of control with these off season additions, is George Steinbrenner the owner now?

You missed the best part - Goodell responded:

No. Woody is the man. get back 2 work on ur dancing. RT @ogochocinco (http://twitter.com/ogochocinco) JETS r out of control w/off season additions,is Steinbrenner the owner?

btw @ogochocinco (http://twitter.com/ogochocinco) u r just jealous bc jason taylor is a better dancer. @nickmangold (http://twitter.com/nickmangold) says he is also better than u.

Melan-cynic
04-21-10, 12:34 AM
I don't care what Taylor said about Jets fans. I just think he's cooked.

If he's not I will be pleasantly surprised. The same goes for Tomlinson.

RYMASTER or Ryan_Yankees
04-21-10, 12:56 AM
You missed the best part - Goodell responded:

Owned. :lol:

just-blaze
04-21-10, 02:36 PM

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Brooklyn Yankee Fan
04-21-10, 10:04 PM
On implosion of old Meadowlands Stadium in 2009: "Go ahead, they can turn it into a parking lot for all I care."

On the Jets' talking trash under Rex Ryan during 2009 season: "There comes a point where you've got to win with class, and you've got to lose with class, and we try to do that. We're not perfect. We do engage in some of the trash going back and forth, but at the end of the day we have two wins, and I think that gives us a little more reason to talk."

After Jets beat Dolphins 40-13 in Miami during 1-15 2007 season: "They suck, too. They beat us. They'll go home happy, and their fans will be happy that they got three wins this year."

On returning a fumble for a touchdown against the Jets in 30-25 win at Meadowlands in 2009: "To score a touchdown in New York against the Jets in the last time I'll be in the hellhole they call a stadium up there before they get rid of it and move to the new one, it was outstanding."

On relationship with Jets fans on Sirius NFL Radio in November, 2009: "The problem I have is with the Jets fans. It's not really a problem; it's kind of this rivalry that has gone on, and they love to hate me, and I love to hate them, and we've had some fun over the years. They've had a lot of fun at my expense. I've had some fun at their expense at times. It's the times like this where you beat them and they just keep talking. They just keep going, and they just don't know when to be quiet. You know, I've said a lot of things about Jets fans in the past, and I'm sure at heart they're good people. Most of them are good people. The Giants fans are a different type of people. Just put it that way. There's a little more class on the Giants' side, and some Jets fans take the 'c-l' out of class."

On playing possibly for the Jets as a free agent prior to 2009 season: "It'd be very, very, very difficult. At the end of the day, if I couldn't find a job anywhere else and the Jets called, I guess I'd have to retire or go play. ... "The Jets are the Jets. I've had a lot of history saying bad things about Jets fans. The fireman hat guy [Fireman Ed], and all of the people in New York that are Jets fans are not the ones that are working on Wall Street. I've said all of those things. So I've got to leave it at that."

Before a Dolphins-Jets game at Miami in December, 2005: "[Jets fans] don't have a whole lot else going for them, and they rely on the Jets beating the Dolphins. I wouldn't want to live in New York in November or December either, so they come down here and fill up our stadium. They sit there and yell their [J-E-T-S] chant. That's the only word they know how to spell."

Prior to a Dolphins-Jets game in 2004: "A bunch of them chanting their dumb-ass chant and all that other stuff, being the ignorant fans they are. I said it. I don't care if they get mad at me or not. They don't like me anyway. Quite frankly, I don't care. ... I'm just being real. I'm telling the truth. You carry yourself with some class, and we'll talk about you as if you've got class. If you want to act crazy and do all the crazy things they do, I'll call a spade a spade. ... Oakland is the same way, but I love playing there. But against [the Jets], it kind of gets on your nerves."

Unless Jason Taylor is annihilating QBs, I will continue to hate him. I'll probably hate him still even if he does play well, but there is a difference between to hate and to tolerate.

BillBuckner
04-22-10, 09:11 AM
Unless Jason Taylor is annihilating QBs, I will continue to hate him. I'll probably hate him still even if he does play well, but there is a difference between to hate and to tolerate.

My thoughts exactly.

dabomb2045
04-22-10, 05:52 PM
Everson Griffen at #29 please. I'd love to see them trade up for Graham or Kindle...but it sounds like they are gonna stay put this year. Never know with Tannenbaum though.

Snatch Catch
04-22-10, 10:35 PM
I cannot believe they got Wilson at #29. Wow. This is unbelievably awesome.

Snatch Catch
04-23-10, 07:44 AM
I just woke up and it's still real. Awesome.

PlsDontTearDownY.S.
04-23-10, 12:04 PM
LOVE this pick. The NFL has become a passing league. Now, the Jets have tremendous depth at a crucial position as opposed to one stud and a bunch of journeymen. Good luck passing on the Jets next year

kan_t
04-23-10, 01:23 PM
Another big winner in the first day draft. Revis alone makes their secondary good. And now they also add the best covering CB in this draft at #29.......

just-blaze
04-23-10, 08:21 PM
I like the Ducasse pick too.

just-blaze
04-23-10, 08:22 PM
Everson Griffen at #29 please. I'd love to see them trade up for Graham or Kindle...but it sounds like they are gonna stay put this year. Never know with Tannenbaum though.

Middle of the third and he is still available......:eek:

Snatch Catch
04-24-10, 09:55 AM
There's the proof just how easy it is to replace Leon with the depth in this draft.

Was expecting DL/OLB, but I'm not mad at McKnight at all. Great value in the 4th, in my opinion.

just-blaze
04-24-10, 10:40 AM
What did we give up to move up......a 4th?

Snatch Catch
04-24-10, 10:49 AM
What did we give up to move up......a 4th?

Jets 4th and 6th to move up the the 14 slots for the Panthers 4th.

Snatch Catch
04-24-10, 10:52 AM
Now trade Leon for a 5th and pick up Sapp or Thomas. That would be so gangsta.

TheManKnownAsMecca
04-24-10, 11:22 AM
Leon Washington has been traded to the Seahawks.

Snatch Catch
04-24-10, 11:22 AM
Leon to Seattle, Jets use the pick to find Richardson's replacement.

just-blaze
04-24-10, 11:27 AM
Horrible......first move I don't like.

And we had to give up a 7th too?

I thought we had 2 4th round picks this year.

PinstripePride
04-24-10, 12:13 PM
Hate this move. AND cutting Faneca. A little bit annoyed right now.

just-blaze
04-24-10, 02:40 PM
Last pick and couple of moves put a bitter taste to what was ultimately a good draft for the Jets.

Snatch Catch
04-24-10, 04:36 PM
I'm excited about McKnight. I bet he's a better pro than a college player.

Much like the guy he's replacing, except McKnight's ceiling is much, much bigger.

There are going to be a bunch of UDFAs because of the depth of this draft, and I expect Rex and Co to snap up the ones that fit his scheme perfectly.

dabomb2045
04-24-10, 04:59 PM
McKnight isnt in Leon's league. He doesnt have ANYWHERE near the speed and gamebreaking ability that Washington has.

Snatch Catch
04-24-10, 05:03 PM
He doesnt have ANYWHERE near the speed and gamebreaking ability that Washington has.

There's really no other response to this than that you are 100%, completely and totally incorrect.

Melan-cynic
04-24-10, 05:04 PM
McKnight isnt in Leon's league. He doesnt have ANYWHERE near the speed and gamebreaking ability that Washington has.Leon's departure must have rendered you blind.

TheManKnownAsMecca
04-24-10, 05:29 PM
I'm excited about McKnight. I bet he's a better pro than a college player.

Much like the guy he's replacing, except McKnight's ceiling is much, much bigger.

There are going to be a bunch of UDFAs because of the depth of this draft, and I expect Rex and Co to snap up the ones that fit his scheme perfectly.

McKnight never lived up to the hype at USC so I too believe that he'll be a better pro than college player.

dabomb2045
04-24-10, 05:29 PM
I've watched plenty of McKnight at USC. My opinion is that he wont have the kind of impact on games that Washington did. He had much hype coming in to SC, and he was a dissapointment.

Unless the Jets had some knowledge that Washington wont be the same player he was pre-injury....this is a terrible trade.

Yankeesfan924
04-24-10, 05:38 PM
As much as I love Leon, losing Faneca makes me more dissappointed.

dabomb2045
04-24-10, 05:43 PM
Not surprised about Faneca---I had heard they were looking to dump him either via trade or just release. To be fair, he was by far the weakest of the OL last year and he does make a ton of money.

Who starts in his place next year?

PinstripePride
04-24-10, 05:52 PM
Not surprised about Faneca---I had heard they were looking to dump him either via trade or just release. To be fair, he was by far the weakest of the OL last year and he does make a ton of money.

Who starts in his place next year?

Ducasse

dabomb2045
04-24-10, 05:56 PM
Ducasse

Is he ready? I've heard he's a bit of a project. Especially coming from UMass--which isnt exactly a bigtime football school.

Snatch Catch
04-24-10, 06:02 PM
But to say he's not even close to Leon in terms of speed is incorrect. Leon ran a 4.42 at his combine, McKnight a 4.47. You're completely incorrect in your statment.

If you don't like the trade, then that's fine, my issue was with your comparitive statment about their speed and gambreaking abilities being not even remotely close. That's just not true in the least bit.

Many Jets fans choose to exaggerate his game-breaking ability. Here are some facts for you:

For all the talk of his game-breaking ability, Leon Washington has exactly zero punt return TDs in his entire professional career.

For all the talk of his game-breaking ability, Leon Washington has exactly one kick return TD in the last two years. 3 of his 4 career KR TD came in 2007.

For all the talk of his versatility, Leon Washington has exactly two receiving TDs in his entire professional career.

His longest reception since his rookie season has been 40 yards. He's not this game-breaking guy people are falsely remembering him as. He's a versatile, athletic, and aggressive change of pace back who had success as a kick returner, but wasn't other-wordly by any means. He was good at what he did, but he wasn't an every player, and he wasn't so much better than other people that he was irreplaceable or some incredible standout force.

Snatch Catch
04-24-10, 06:06 PM
Jets sign Donovan Warren, CB from Michigan.

Very nice pickup.

I'd like to start seeing some DL/OLB signings...

PinstripePride
04-24-10, 06:13 PM
Is he ready? I've heard he's a bit of a project. Especially coming from UMass--which isnt exactly a bigtime football school.

I don't know that much about him, but we really don't have any other choice.

Snatch Catch
04-24-10, 06:13 PM
Charlie Tanner OG from Texas has signed with the Jets. Started a ton of games and had some off the charts measurables at his pro day, so he's unbelievably athletic for a big man.

dabomb2045
04-24-10, 06:18 PM
I just feel the Jets mismanaged the RB situation this offseason. It was a strength last year. Why mess with a good thing....

Snatch Catch
04-24-10, 06:32 PM
Kevin Basped, OLB from Nevada has signed with the Jets.

Mark19
04-24-10, 06:46 PM
Wilson will make it downright unfair for opposing quarterbacks -- if Sanchez takes a step forward and the running game stays a strength, this team is going to be a nightmare

CanoForPresident
04-24-10, 07:52 PM
McKnight never lived up to the hype at USC so I too believe that he'll be a better pro than college player.

The hype was out of control. He had no chance at living up to it.

That said, he was productive when he was healthy. If he can stay on the field, he'll be good for the Jets.

Snatch Catch
04-25-10, 09:14 AM
http://www.walterfootball.com/offseason2010nyj.php

TheManKnownAsMecca
04-25-10, 12:10 PM
http://www.walterfootball.com/offseason2010nyj.php

Walter Football is one of the worst sites out there in my opinion.

DaSh 1s
04-25-10, 12:33 PM
I second that

Snatch Catch
04-25-10, 01:15 PM
Ok, here's Kiper's review of the Jets work, ranking them as having the 10th best draft in the league:

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft10/insider/news/story?page=KiperDraftGrades

New York Jets

Summary: We can at least say the Jets got better in their secondary. Kyle Wilson is a guy some people thought could crack the top 15 picks. Now you can intensify the blitz knowing Darrelle Revis, Antonio Cromartie and Wilson are back there looking to pick off errant passes. The trade up for Joe McKnight adds a dimension to the backfield and also adds a player who has familiarity with Mark Sanchez. McKnight's durability is a question, but his pass-catching skills can help that offense. Vladimir Ducasse could become a starter and John Conner is the draft's best fullback. Just four picks, but zero misses.

Draft grade: B

PinstripePride
04-25-10, 01:53 PM
Good lookin out. As a non-insider, was hoping someone would post that.

Snatch Catch
04-25-10, 02:21 PM
Good lookin out. As a non-insider, was hoping someone would post that.

Scout.com on ESPN Insider also has a formula to determine who got the most value out of their draft, and when factoring the players that they got in trades, as well as the actual picks they made, the Jets ranked as having the 4th best use of their 2010 draftpicks out of all NFL teams.

Snatch Catch
04-25-10, 04:48 PM
Wow, the more I read about Donovan Warren the more it appears he's a ridiculously awesome UDFA pickup.

This is a kid that was projected as a 1st rounder just a few months ago, and fell because he had an unimpressive junior year in which he was completely misused by Rich-Rod. He then hurts his ankle before the combine, runs anyway, and throws up a 4.6. His pro day rolls around, he's still affected by the ankle, stupidly runs, and puts up another 4.6.

Coming out of California in HS he was one of the top 5 CB prospects in the nation, a five-star guy by both Rivals and Scout, and a top 25 overall prospect in the country. Scout has him running a 4.4.

It looks like he got some really bad advice on the draft, and then made some stupid decisions when it came to combine type stuff after his poor season ended.

It looks like the Jets really got a serious player here - and not just a developmental kid, someone who should challenge Drew Coleman for his job on the roster this year.

Brooklyn Yankee Fan
04-25-10, 06:42 PM
Turns out the Jets did more than change Vernon Gholston's position for 2010. They also took some money from his pocket.

The Jets have restructured Gholston's contract, a source familiar with the situation said on Sunday. While the specific numbers weren't immediately available, the team lowered his base salary (originally $1.9 million), with a chance for him to recoup the money by reaching incentives, a source said.

The important part of the restructuring is this: It ensures that Gholston, the disappointing first-round pick in 2008, will go to training camp with the team and will have a chance to earn playing time.

Gholston appeared to be on shaky ground at the end of last season, as the organization deliberated on whether to give him another season or to cut bait. With it being an uncapped year, it would've been the ideal time to unload him without a salary-cap hit. They decided to retain him, but with a different position.

After two seasons at outside linebacker, Gholston was moved recently to defensive end, where he will play behind Shaun Ellis. The change, first reported by ESPNNewYork.com, was cemented when they signed free-agent pass rusher Jason Taylor, formerly of the Dolphins.

Rex Ryan, who confirmed the move Saturday in his post-draft news conference, said Gholston at defensive end "will give us the opportunity to be more athletic at the position." In reality, it puts Gholston one step closer to the door.

Gholston was the sixth overall choice in 2008, and signed a five-year contract with $21 million in guarantees. So far, it looks like one of the worst contracts in recent history. In two seasons, he has yet to record a sack.

Rich Cimini is a special contributor to ESPNNewYork.com. Adam Schefter is ESPN's NFL Insider.

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/news/story?id=5135089

Melan-cynic
04-25-10, 08:55 PM
Now or never son.

dabomb2045
04-25-10, 08:57 PM
Hard to get on Tannenbaum for Gholston....no GM is perfect. And most of his other picks/signings/trades as of late have been brilliant.

But it was a rather big miss :(

Melan-cynic
04-26-10, 10:47 AM
http://www.thejetsblog.com/2010/04/26/pats-cut-ad-is-there-a-spot/

I'd like to see the Jets sign John Henderson but I'll take all the passrushers they can get.

just-blaze
04-26-10, 05:43 PM

I'd like to see the Jets sign John Henderson but I'll take all the passrushers they can get.

:lol: :lol: :lol: Just saw your sig.......best one ever.

Really, the Jets can't go wrong with either one. Might as well flip a coin.

Melan-cynic
04-26-10, 08:00 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol: Just saw your sig.......best one ever.

Really, the Jets can't go wrong with either one. Might as well flip a coin.hahah thx. I hear they will be launching the Revis 4G model in September.

PinstripePride
04-26-10, 09:47 PM

Do you post on TGG under a different handle?

Melan-cynic
04-26-10, 09:50 PM
Do you post on TGG under a different handle?Nah, why?

PinstripePride
04-27-10, 09:13 AM
Nah, why?

That's where I originally saw that signature. Was just wondering if you were the same guy.

Melan-cynic
04-28-10, 11:48 AM
Interesting move:

On the Jets list of undrafted free agent additions, they list Michigan cornerback Donovan Warren as a safety. While nothing is official yet, this is a strong hint that the Jets are moving the talented cover guy, who doesn’t have great speed, to safety.
Also, didn't know about his bloodlines (and yes, I know godparents do not equal blood relations):

godson of former USC safety and Chicago Bears safety Mark Carrier ... uncle, Chuckie Miller, played for the Indianapolis Colts ... father, Alvin, played football at New Mexico State

Snatch Catch
04-28-10, 12:07 PM
Those bloodlines are one of the main reasons the Jets were able to sign him.

And he's not slow either, that's something that whomever is reporting that is too lazy to look up, as I detailed in my post earlier on this page about him.

Melan-cynic
04-28-10, 01:21 PM
Well he didn't say he was slow, I think he meant he doesn't have 4.40 or elite speed like a Kyle Wilson showed at the combine. But the reason I posted the quote was not about his speed but about the possibility of him moving to safety. I like the thinking and like the signing even more.

Snatch Catch
04-28-10, 01:47 PM
I love him at safety, but I'd be willing to bet that the writer was lazy and citing his combine/proday 40s as the means for saying "he doesn't have great speed."

He's got pretty good speed. When he's healthy I'd bet he's a 4.45-4.50 guy. Really physical, too, and good height. It's going to be cool to see how he shows up to camp in Hardknocks.

Melan-cynic
04-28-10, 02:55 PM
Oh I totally agree. He ran a 4.59 at the combine but I could easily see him puttig up a sub 4.50 forty time. Regardless our secondary is going to very fun to watch.

dabomb2045
04-28-10, 03:03 PM
Sounds like we're staying away from Adalius Thomas. Okay w/that....I dont know how much he has left. I would however like to see us go after Henderson. I heard the Giants are looking at him too.

just-blaze
04-28-10, 03:49 PM
Sounds like we're staying away from Adalius Thomas. Okay w/that....I dont know how much he has left. I would however like to see us go after Henderson. I heard the Giants are looking at him too.

We better get one of them......

just-blaze
04-28-10, 03:51 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lJ19ecQ56o

How this guy dropped to the fourth round is beyond me.

RYMASTER or Ryan_Yankees
04-28-10, 10:16 PM
Anyone else getting worried about the prospect of local blackouts next year?

PlsDontTearDownY.S.
04-29-10, 12:29 PM
Anyone else getting worried about the prospect of local blackouts next year?

Not really. I can't see attendance at the new stadium, especially with all the hype surrounding the Jets, dropping to the blackout threshold.

Melan-cynic
04-29-10, 12:39 PM
No way.

PinstripePride
04-30-10, 12:49 PM
Holmes kicked off a plane for being a "disruptive passenger" and refusing to shut his ipod.

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/news/story?id=5151435

johnnyyankee
04-30-10, 01:04 PM
Get use to this type of stuff.

Melan-cynic
04-30-10, 02:17 PM
Shocking turn of events.

PinstripePride
04-30-10, 04:55 PM
I hope Rex kicks this guys ass up and down the field.

#1PaFan
05-01-10, 07:22 AM
Shocking turn of events.

Love that signature of yours! :lol: :gulp:
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Melan-cynic
05-01-10, 12:00 PM
I'm thinking Cromartie and Wilson cover Europe and Asia.

Snatch Catch
05-03-10, 09:20 AM
Leon will be playing 2010 with a stabilizing rod in his leg.

Melan-cynic
05-03-10, 11:02 AM
Where's the guy who said Leon would have no problems coming back from the broken leg in 2010 and that soccer is just as dangerous as football for players returning from serious injuries?

PlsDontTearDownY.S.
05-03-10, 11:48 AM
Where's the guy who said Leon would have no problems coming back from the broken leg in 2010 and that soccer is just as dangerous as football for players returning from serious injuries?

Me, wiseguy! Can Leon step on the field before you start thumping your chest? And this does nothing to disprove my point about soccer players returning from broken legs, it relates to Leon's recovery only. Who knows if other players who have suffered a similar injury need or don't need a rod implanted.

Melan-cynic
05-03-10, 11:56 AM
Me, wiseguy! Can Leon step on the field before you start thumping your chest?He's playing with a rod in his leg this season. You implied he'd be perfectly fine to start this season.

I think the chestthumping is more than warranted.

Melan-cynic
05-03-10, 11:57 AM
Just saw your edit which was a good one:
And this does nothing to disprove my point about soccer players returning from broken legs, it relates to Leon's recovery only. Who knows if other players who have suffered a similar injury need or don't need a rod implanted.Huh? Your contention that pro soccer players coming back from injury face the same type of risk of reinjuring themselves as NFL football players is absolutely ridiculous. Please stop.

PlsDontTearDownY.S.
05-03-10, 12:30 PM
Just saw your edit which was a good one:Huh? Your contention that pro soccer players coming back from injury face the same type of risk of reinjuring themselves as NFL football players is absolutely ridiculous. Please stop.

First of all, don't tell me to stop posting my opinion. Unless you're an orthopedist, you are as much a layman when it comes to this stuff as I am. We don't know for sure whether or not Leon will come back to speed or not. I think he will, but the jury is still obviously out. All we know is that he has a rod in his leg. If Leon fails in Seattle, and his leg is back in the boot by October, then I'll admit I was wrong.

And what have you seen in any of the latest news to suggest that what I said about soccer recovery compared to football recovery from a broken leg is bogus? Both sports are extremely harsh on the legs. If soccer players had it so easy, you wouldn't see so many broken legs in the first place. One club alone (Arsenal) has seen two players stretchered off with broken legs in the last two years alone. What's "absolutely ridiculous" is you dismissing my claim as such without anything but conjecture to bolster your argument.

Melan-cynic
05-03-10, 12:46 PM
First of all, don't tell me to stop posting my opinion. Unless you're an orthopedist, you are as much a layman when it comes to this stuff as I am. We don't know for sure whether or not Leon will come back to speed or not. I think he will, but the jury is still obviously out. All we know is that he has a rod in his leg. If Leon fails in Seattle, and his leg is back in the boot by October, then I'll admit I was wrong. You're are either being elusive or purposely misunderstanding my points. You said Leon would come back fine this year to start the season and dismissed any possibility that he wouldn't be healthy to start the year. So, now that we know he's playing 2010 with a rod in his leg and he's been traded in part because the Jets believe he won't be healthy to start the year, you swung and missed on that one. I never said he would never get back to his old self, I questioned that he'd be able to be himself to start the season. So let's not mix that up anymore.

And what have you seen in any of the latest news to suggest that what I said about soccer recovery compared to football recovery from a broken leg is bogus? Both sports are extremely harsh on the legs. If soccer players had it so easy, you wouldn't see so many broken legs in the first place. One club alone (Arsenal) has seen two players stretchered off with broken legs in the last two years alone. What's "absolutely ridiculous" is you dismissing my claim as such without anything but conjecture to bolster your argument.Here you are purposely missing my point again. I specifically stated that your comparison is ridiculous because pro soccer players do not compete in even the same realm of violence or physicality as NFL running backs. I'm not talking about the individual athleticism of making cuts or coming to quick stops. Do I really have to continue to spell this out or will you continue changing the argument? Once Cristiano Ronaldo has to deal with 300lbs defensive lineman and 250lbs linebackers trying to take his head off, you can say that he and Leon Washington are recovering from injuries in the same competitive environment. Unfortunately, that will never happen.

TheManKnownAsMecca
05-03-10, 03:07 PM
Internet Fight!

http://www.encyclopediaofstupid.com/stupid/images/7/7e/Internet.jpg

Melan-cynic
05-03-10, 03:17 PM
Internet Fight!

http://www.encyclopediaofstupid.com/stupid/images/7/7e/Internet.jpgInternet Troll!

TheManKnownAsMecca
05-03-10, 03:23 PM
http://cdn.erictric.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/internet-troll-college-humor.jpg

PlsDontTearDownY.S.
05-05-10, 02:33 PM
You're are either being elusive or purposely misunderstanding my points. You said Leon would come back fine this year to start the season and dismissed any possibility that he wouldn't be healthy to start the year. So, now that we know he's playing 2010 with a rod in his leg and he's been traded in part because the Jets believe he won't be healthy to start the year, you swung and missed on that one. I never said he would never get back to his old self, I questioned that he'd be able to be himself to start the season. So let's not mix that up anymore.

Here you are purposely missing my point again. I specifically stated that your comparison is ridiculous because pro soccer players do not compete in even the same realm of violence or physicality as NFL running backs. I'm not talking about the individual athleticism of making cuts or coming to quick stops. Do I really have to continue to spell this out or will you continue changing the argument? Once Cristiano Ronaldo has to deal with 300lbs defensive lineman and 250lbs linebackers trying to take his head off, you can say that he and Leon Washington are recovering from injuries in the same competitive environment. Unfortunately, that will never happen.

Trust me, I don't take this seriously enough to do something as nefarious as to purposely miss your point. Fair enough in the first paragraph. But as far as the second, let me explain.

In soccer, it's obviously not that you have massive dudes trying to kill you. While the competitive environment is different and football is certainly more violent, for this specific injury there are circumstances in soccer that put a great amount of stress on the lower leg, just like in football.

In football, tackles usually don't get made below the knee. The stress comes from the weight of a tackler leaning on the ball carrier. But in soccer, the lower leg is subject to violent collisions that result when two players are running at full steam for a 50/50 ball as well as violent, clumsy slide tackles. Factor in the added stress of running thousands more yards in a game than an NFL running back does, and you have circumstances unique to soccer that can make injury of and recovery from broken legs in soccer no easier than doing so in football.

Melan-cynic
05-05-10, 02:56 PM
In football, tackles usually don't get made below the knee. The stress comes from the weight of a tackler leaning on the ball carrier. But in soccer, the lower leg is subject to violent collisions that result when two players are running at full steam for a 50/50 ball as well as violent, clumsy slide tackles. Factor in the added stress of running thousands more yards in a game than an NFL running back does, and you have circumstances unique to soccer that can make injury of and recovery from broken legs in soccer no easier than doing so in football.Sorry, no. First of all, running backs are brought down via leg tackles all the time. Secondly, (and for the 1000th time) soccer players don't have 300lbs defensive linemen jumping on their backs like Leon can on any given play. He also could be asked to block 250 linebackers running full speed - you need your legs for that? - on any given play.

Are you really trying to compare the collisions in soccer to the ones a RB sustains in football? I played soccer my entire life and at one of the best HS programs in my home state. It's my favorite sport to play and I know it's often grossly underestimated in terms of the toughness/stamina required to excel in the sport but give me a break.

Your "argument" is ludicrous and the hole is only getting deeper each time you attempt to drag it out.

PlsDontTearDownY.S.
05-05-10, 03:37 PM
Sorry, no. First of all, running backs are brought down via leg tackles all the time. Secondly, (and for the 1000th time) soccer players don't have 300lbs defensive linemen jumping on their backs like Leon can on any given play. He also could be asked to block 250 linebackers running full speed - you need your legs for that? - on any given play.

Are you really trying to compare the collisions in soccer to the ones a RB sustains in football? I played soccer my entire life and at one of the best HS programs in my home state. It's my favorite sport to play and I know it's often grossly underestimated in terms of the toughness/stamina required to excel in the sport but give me a break.

Your "argument" is ludicrous and the hole is only getting deeper each time you attempt to drag it out.

Actually, it's not. For the 10000th time, do football players get kicked full force in the same leg that was broken? No. The stress typically comes from the weight of someone leaning on the runner, not from direct impact. What's ludicrous is you, despite your extensive experience playing, (I played too) discounting the damage that a direct kick or tackle gone wrong does. Any other injury besides a clean break of the fibula (as Leon has) or tibia, and I'd say football is tougher on recovery.

Arsenal FC alone has seen 3 players go down with broken tibias or fibulas in only the past few years. Djibril Cisse broke two legs. Answer me this: if the stress on the lower leg is so much lesser in soccer, then why are these guys breaking perfectly healthy bones to begin with?

Melan-cynic
05-05-10, 08:34 PM
Actually, it's not. For the 10000th time, do football players get kicked full force in the same leg that was broken? No. The stress typically comes from the weight of someone leaning on the runner, not from direct impact.OMG. This is just pathetic at this point to even continue this conversation. Yes, football players take direct hits to their legs all the time, particularly pro RB's. Are you really trying to say pro soccer plays take full throttle direct kicks to their legs as much as an NFL RB takes hits to their legs? If so, you must play with the worst/dirtiest soccer players on the planet. Any player who tried that in the EPL, Serie A, etc. with any type of regularity would be suspended because those types of collisions very rarely occur. Again, these two competitive environments are in completely different stratospheres and the fact that you can't admit that is laughable.

Arsenal FC alone has seen 3 players go down with broken tibias or fibulas in only the past few years. Djibril Cisse broke two legs. Answer me this: if the stress on the lower leg is so much lesser in soccer, then why are these guys breaking perfectly healthy bones to begin with?Three leg injuries on one team?!!? That never happens in the NFL!! :lol: Off the top of my head Kris Jenkins and Leon Washington both succumbed season ending leg injuries and Mark Sanchez required offseason knee surgery as well. And the Jets were a team which was able to stay relatively healthy last year.

You are still missing the point and now I know it's on purpose. After this many explanations there's no way you could possibly be this dense that it does not register that I talked about the external factors (300lbs lineman, LBers, safeties, etc.) in the NFL widely outgunning the external factors in a primarily NON-CONTACT sport. As soon as Ray Lewis gets flagged for knocking Leon Washington on his back, you can pretend you have a point.

PinstripePride
05-17-10, 04:42 PM
I'm reading that Revis wants 20+ million. I assume that is just a negotiating tactic, but if he's serious about that and won't settle for something around 15, he can take a hike.

Melan-cynic
05-18-10, 11:08 AM
That would be insane. Revis is not replaceable.

PlsDontTearDownY.S.
05-18-10, 01:14 PM
OMG.

Three leg injuries on one team?!!? That never happens in the NFL!! :lol: Off the top of my head Kris Jenkins and Leon Washington both succumbed season ending leg injuries and Mark Sanchez required offseason knee surgery as well. And the Jets were a team which was able to stay relatively healthy last year.

Er, I said broken legs. Not knees. Got it? Broken legs. Sanchez and Jenkins both had knee inuries. And it was actually more than 3 broken legs for Arsenal, it was 5. Diaby, Ramsey, Fabregas, Eduardo, Nasri. Maybe you're just under the assumption that the knee bone is connected to the leg bone, and the the leg bone is connected to the foot bone...you know the rest of the song.

PinstripePride
05-20-10, 04:56 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d8183bd55&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

"Revis also says a recent published report saying he wanted $20 million per season is "insane" and doesn't know its source. "

He is going to be the highest paid at his position though, according to him per conversations with Ryan and Tannenbaum, so i guess we're looking at around 16-18 per, because Aso makes 15+.

cyhughes22
05-20-10, 05:17 PM
Yeah I have a hard time believing that Revis would demand that much even though his agent is a world class a hole. Still he deserves to be the highest paid at his position and I hope he gets what he wants. The guy is absolutely the most important player on this team.

PlsDontTearDownY.S.
06-04-10, 12:51 PM
Revis is sitting OTAs out...pay the man.

cyhughes22
06-04-10, 01:46 PM
Revis is sitting OTAs out...pay the man.

Exactly. What I would hope is that the next CBA would allow for some guaranteed money for these guys so they didn't feel like they needed new deals every 5 minutes.

PinstripePride
06-15-10, 08:43 PM
I gotta say, Revis is really starting to piss me off.

Melan-cynic
06-15-10, 11:58 PM
I gotta say, Revis is really starting to piss me off.Why. Because he deserves to get paid like the best CB in the game should? Training camp hasn't even begun yet so calm down.

I have zero problem with anything Revis has done. Lock up the best defensive player in the game Jets.

dabomb2045
06-16-10, 08:39 AM

The Jets need to take care of both him and Mangold. Dont f*ck around and piss these guys off...they are part of the "core".

PlsDontTearDownY.S.
06-16-10, 11:41 AM

Not a fan of him sitting out plays, but the Jets really need to stop pinching pennies with these guys. It's one thing to do it with lesser talents like Pete Kendall, but guys like Mangold and Revis need to be taken care of. I don't blame them at all for wanting to get paid...their careers could end in one play, and they won't get another dime from the Jets.

JeffWeaverFan
06-17-10, 10:56 AM
The problem is that the highest paid corner 1. Got a deal that is just too much money for a corner by a moronic owner and 2. Only got a 3 year deal - while Revis is most likely looking for a lot more years than that. And, with a cap - assuming there will be a cap again - I'd like to also have the money to re-sign Mangold, D'Brick, one of the WR's, and, if possible, David Harris.

Melan-cynic
06-17-10, 11:40 AM
Doesn't change the fact that he deserves a bigtime contract. Even if you argue Asomugha's contract is ridiculous the reported offers from the Jets have been meager at best.

RYMASTER or Ryan_Yankees
06-17-10, 12:03 PM
The NFL needs guaranteed contracts, just so I don't have to deal with this stuff every year. :lol:

Melan-cynic
06-17-10, 01:51 PM
Union fail.

PlsDontTearDownY.S.
07-08-10, 09:24 PM
I hope we DESTROY Miami this year.

Melan-cynic
07-09-10, 12:13 AM
haha Amen.

Jax Teller
07-09-10, 10:26 AM
Looks like Brick got an extension.

b_joseph
07-27-10, 08:27 AM
Dont do it!!!!!!!!!!!! That is all.

TheManKnownAsMecca
07-27-10, 09:21 AM
Dont do it!!!!!!!!!!!! That is all.

Owens was great in terms of locker room presence with the Bills last year. There is no way to compare it without happening, but I guarantee he'd put up better numbers with the Jets than Braylon Edwards.

pjfan
07-27-10, 09:41 AM
You thought Hard Knocks was required viewing before?

dabomb2045
07-27-10, 10:28 AM
Do we even need Owens? I mean yeah the first 4 games w/o Holmes maybe....but after that we'll have Edwards, Holmes and then Cotchery in the slot.

So what....Owens becomes the slot and you move Cotchery to the #4 wideout?

PlsDontTearDownY.S.
07-27-10, 12:37 PM
Why not, if he's a problem and starts chattering about how he's still a number 1 receiver and should get the ball more, dump him... it's not like we'd be signing him to a huge multiyear deal. Character issues don't seem to be a check against anyone with the Jets at this point. The hype surrounding the Jets is already at unprecedented levels, it's not like signing T.O. will overflow the hype tank

Jace
07-27-10, 12:39 PM
if you are going to give TO guaranteed money, id rather just offer it to Revis. he's all pissed cause the jets offer had nothing guaranteed

just-blaze
07-27-10, 01:00 PM
This made more sense last year.

Jax Teller
07-27-10, 07:41 PM
Apparently TO is signing with Cincy

Jax Teller
07-30-10, 09:30 PM
Ryan & Tannenbaum received contract extensions through 2014.

Melan-cynic
07-30-10, 10:53 PM
Coles back again.

TheManKnownAsMecca
07-31-10, 10:23 AM
What you guys of Wearing football jersey on a Particular Date ?

A few days ago I hang out with my friend (pretty girl) who I have known for months and I really attractived to her.Probably I am not her style,she seems avoid getting contact with me.Maybe because she think I am a big jerk as I weared a nfl jersey (http://www.nfl-jersey.net) that day the first time I went out with her ? If so,I will never put on any jerseys when I on any date.Anyway,the jerseys sell such cheap and high quality at the online shop where I have bought from.

Greatest post in the history of this site.

AMYanks
08-01-10, 07:17 PM
Revis is holding out.

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/news/story?id=5428018

PinstripePride
08-01-10, 08:02 PM
Revis is holding out.

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/news/story?id=5428018

I went from having a major man-crush to really getting tired of this friggin douche.

dabomb2045
08-01-10, 08:53 PM
I went from having a major man-crush to really getting tired of this friggin douche.

The Jets need to get their heads out of their asses and pay the man. I would be doing the same thing if I were him....he's the best CB in the game and he deserved to be paid as such.

They really need to stop dicking around and get Revis, Mangold and Harris all locked up long term. They (along with Sanchez) are the cornerstones.

Melan-cynic
08-01-10, 11:04 PM
So ridiculous I don't even know what to say.

Jace
08-02-10, 07:45 AM
The Jets need to get their heads out of their asses and pay the man. I would be doing the same thing if I were him....he's the best CB in the game and he deserved to be paid as such.

They really need to stop dicking around and get Revis, Mangold and Harris all locked up long term. They (along with Sanchez) are the cornerstones.

Its not really this simple... teams probably tend to be more successful over the long term when they stress the system instead of the individual players, because players get worse or get injured. You set a precedent for your other players that they can hold out to be renegotiated

The NFL is just built this way because of how rough it is... giving out guarantees to players is stupid from a team standpoint because of the attrition rate, and not getting guarantees is stupid from a player standpoint because of the attrition rate (and you look at all of the broken down penniless old football players). Holdouts are just the natural outcome

I think getting angry at either side is generally shortsighted, nobody really wins here

Melan-cynic
08-02-10, 10:40 AM
Well done.

PlsDontTearDownY.S.
08-02-10, 01:47 PM
Its not really this simple... teams probably tend to be more successful over the long term when they stress the system instead of the individual players, because players get worse or get injured. You set a precedent for your other players that they can hold out to be renegotiated

Yes but Revis is special. Pete Kendall is one thing, Revis is another. That stupid Asomugah contract was a serious fly in the ointment.

Melan-cynic
08-02-10, 02:03 PM
Well done as well.

PinstripePride
08-02-10, 09:18 PM
So ridiculous I don't even know what to say.

Call me whatever you want, but the dude held out for his first contract, then he has one great year and he's acting like he's God's gift to football, and in short, f*ck that first contract. Maybe it's just me, I'm a put-your-nose-the-grindstone-and-you'll-eventually-get your-dues kinda guy. I'm really tired of this whole "I signed a contract but then played better so now I'm gonna stamp my feet and act like a child until I get my way" mentality that's taken over most of the NFL.

Melan-cynic
08-02-10, 09:23 PM
Call me whatever you want, but the dude held out for his first contract, then he has one great year and he's acting like he's God's gift to football, and in short, f*ck that first contract. Maybe it's just me, I'm a put-your-nose-the-grindstone-and-you'll-eventually-get your-dues kinda guy. I'm really tired of this whole "I signed a contract but then played better so now I'm gonna stamp my feet and act like a child until I get my way" mentality that's taken over most of the NFL.He's the best corner in the NFL, was the defensive MVP last year (sorry Charlie) and should be paid accordingly. This is not baseball where contracts are guaranteed. There's absolutely no reason to be angry with Revis securing his future with the Jets. If you want to be angry get angry at the system, not a player looking out for his best interest in league where a career-ending injury is just an awkward hit away.

And he didn't just have one good year, he's had three. He could end up going down as the best defensive player in Jets history. You tend to want to hold on to those types of talents.

dabomb2045
08-02-10, 10:38 PM
Call me whatever you want, but the dude held out for his first contract, then he has one great year and he's acting like he's God's gift to football, and in short, f*ck that first contract. Maybe it's just me, I'm a put-your-nose-the-grindstone-and-you'll-eventually-get your-dues kinda guy. I'm really tired of this whole "I signed a contract but then played better so now I'm gonna stamp my feet and act like a child until I get my way" mentality that's taken over most of the NFL.

How the NFL works is different then other sports. These guys have to look out for themselves and get this best deal they can....because one play can end their careers. Contracts arent guaranteed and these people who run these teams treat it as a business as well. Why should Revis be no different? He's the best in the game at what he does. He should be getting a huge contract w/alot of guaranteed money that a) secures his future w/the Jets and b) sets himself and his family up.

Look at what happened to Leon Washington last year. One play can change everything in a guy's career. As the poster above me stated....if you wanna blame anything, blame the system...not Revis.

Melan-cynic
08-02-10, 10:50 PM
Fans love to overreact to this type of stuff.

Answer me this question, what has Revis missing a practice or two actually impacted?

Have his teammates been angered by his actions? Nope. If anything, Revis has experienced unanimous support from his teammates. [Mangold most recently] And then there's his head coach saying today: "If he signs a contract one day before the first game, he'll be in the starting lineup."

Has it affected his play or work ethic? No. He's said to have trained harder than ever in the offseason.

Has it cost the Jets in the W-L column? No. It's August 2.

If this situation with Revis impacted anything but Jets columnists or an eager fanbase there might be an issue to stress. Might. But that's simply not the case. Let's also not forget that Revis is known as a top notch character guy.

dabomb2045
08-02-10, 11:18 PM
Fans love to overreact to this type of stuff.

Answer me this question, what has Revis missing a practice or two actually impacted?

Have his teammates been angered by his actions? Nope. If anything, Revis has experienced unanimous support from his teammates. [Mangold most recently] And then there's his head coach saying today: "If he signs a contract one day before the first game, he'll be in the starting lineup."

Has it affected his play or work ethic? No. He's said to have trained harder than ever in the offseason.

Has it cost the Jets in the W-L column? No. It's August 2.

If this situation with Revis impacted anything but Jets columnists or an eager fanbase there might be an issue to stress. Might. But that's simply not the case. Let's also not forget that Revis is known as a top notch character guy.

Im not concerned about this either. Michael Strahan held out in 07 for the Giants....ended up having a huge season and his team won a championship. Seeing as Revis is alot younger and in better shape, I would assume he'd be fine if this first action he sees is Week 1. It wont affect this teams ability to win games. Now if he's still holding out when the season starts? Then thats something different but I'd be shocked if it reaches that point. Most likely they will reach a deal towards the end of the preseason.

If I have any frustration about the situation...it lies with the Jets. The man deserved to be paid big. Stop messing around and get a deal done.

PlsDontTearDownY.S.
08-03-10, 12:06 PM

This is football, the most dangerous sport around. In one play, it could all be over for a player. Revis knows this, and that's why the point of contention here is guaranteed money, i.e. the signing bonus. Let's say Revis "did the right thing", played the season, and suffered a horrific spinal column injury or crippling knee ligament inury, like what happened to Napoleon McCallum Are the Jets going to pay for all his medical bills if he has a career ending injury? Are they going to help put his kids through college? Give him health insurance for life? No. The problem is the (understandable) reaction from players to the CBA. This holdout stuff wasn't on the radar like it is now before this current CBA went in to effect. I don't blame Revis for holding out, because he knows that he's a massive talent and that as soon as he can't do anything for the Jets, they will cast him aside. It's business.

Jax Teller
08-04-10, 11:02 AM
Per the Daily News' blog (Now Manish Mehta):

Antonio Cromartie opened some eyes with a jarring hit on LaDainian Tomlinson. Ryan cracked that the Chargers could have used a play like that during last year’s playoff game against the Jets, alluding to Shonn Greene’s crucial TD run in the second half. (On the play, Cromartie eschewed contact, which helped spring Greene for the long score).

“I was like, ‘Woo! That’s a nice tackle,’” Ryan said. “They could have used that in that playoff game…. It’s funny. A lot of guys will hit when they become Jets.”
Ryan is officially ready to jump on the Nick Folk bandwagon after the former Pro Bowl kicker looked impressive again this morning. Folk made all five FG attempts (all under 40 yards, mind you). Ryan said that Folk, who was a disaster in Dallas last season, has found his way again.

“I’m officially not worried about our Pro Bowl kicker anymore,” Ryan said. “I think Nick is back to form. When the winds start howling, we’ll see how he does. I was little worried… That first practice (as a Jet this offseason) and we started kicking, I’m like, ‘Are you kidding me, Nick?”
Braylon Edwards is a couple pounds overweight, Ryan said. His ridiculous beard may have something to do with the extra pounds.

“There’ s never a doubt who we’re going to ask to play Santa Claus at Christmas this year,” Ryan said.
Ryan still believes that Tomlinson can be a valuable contributor this season.

“I see him with that same burst,” Ryan said. “I see that great burst, that great vision. Everything. The way he can dart through things. Still catch the football. He had a bounce today that I was like, ‘Wow!’ … If he’s coming down, he’s coming from the very top of that mountain. So if he comes down a little bit, then so be it.”

QB Kellen Clemens (calf strain) returned after spending the first day on the active PUP list. DT Kris Jenkins (hamstring), however, is still sidelined and didn't participate.

Rookie TE Jeff Cumberland made a pair of nice grabs, including a nice one in traffic as he was blanketed by Emanuel Cook.

Rookie Vlad Ducasse worked with the first team at left guard during team drills ahead of Matt Slauson, who took the majority of first-team reps yesterday.

WR David Clowney worked ahead of Laveranues Coles on the first team. Clowney caught what would have been an 80-yard TD pass from Mark Sanchez when safety Brodney Pool mis-timed his jump. Ryan still believes Clowney's biggest impact will be filling the void left by Wallace Wright as the gunner on special teams.

Cromartie made a leaping interception on Sanchez's underthrown pass intended for Clowney later in practice. It was Sanchez's first pick in 11 on 11s in training camp. Unofficially, Sanchez was 6 of 13 with an interception in 11 on 11s.

TE Dustin Keller was easily Sanchez's go-to guy this morning with several catches in traffic.

NyQuil
08-04-10, 11:11 AM
I hope the hold out continues to at least the 4th week of the season.

Sucks for you guys though.

RhodyYanksFan
08-04-10, 11:13 AM
This is football, the most dangerous sport around. In one play, it could all be over for a player. Revis knows this, and that's why the point of contention here is guaranteed money, i.e. the signing bonus. Let's say Revis "did the right thing", played the season, and suffered a horrific spinal column injury or crippling knee ligament inury, like what happened to Napoleon McCallum Are the Jets going to pay for all his medical bills if he has a career ending injury? Are they going to help put his kids through college? Give him health insurance for life? No. The problem is the (understandable) reaction from players to the CBA. This holdout stuff wasn't on the radar like it is now before this current CBA went in to effect. I don't blame Revis for holding out, because he knows that he's a massive talent and that as soon as he can't do anything for the Jets, they will cast him aside. It's business.

I usually agree with management on these holdouts. The contract was great when Revis signed it. If he underperformed he wouldn't be offering to renegotiate. However in this situation he's in the right because after last season Tannenbaum told him that they were essentially throwing out the old contract based on his performance.

The real issue is paying him more than any other player ever at that position. It's not Revis' fault that Al Davis overpaid by 50%. Now the Jets hands are tied.

Jace
08-04-10, 11:18 AM
The real issue is paying him more than any other player ever at that position. It's not Revis' fault that Al Davis overpaid by 50%. Now the Jets hands are tied.

Still, Revis should understand that if he's paid $16 mil a year, it will keep the Jets from paying their other good players, and being a great team. I think he should be willing to compromise on that some, and understand that that is a crazy contract. Its one thing to want a lot of guaranteed money that you deserve, its another to demand the best contract for a CB of all time

RhodyYanksFan
08-04-10, 12:15 PM
Still, Revis should understand that if he's paid $16 mil a year, it will keep the Jets from paying their other good players, and being a great team. I think he should be willing to compromise on that some, and understand that that is a crazy contract. Its one thing to want a lot of guaranteed money that you deserve, its another to demand the best contract for a CB of all time

He'll end up getting somewhere between 10 and 16 mil guaranteed.

Plus, the realistic window for the Jets to win it all is this year.

Melan-cynic
08-04-10, 12:29 PM
I hope the hold out continues to at least the 4th week of the season.Not happening.

Sucks for you guys though.Having the best DB on the planet sucks? :D

PlsDontTearDownY.S.
08-04-10, 12:41 PM

Yea, I'm with Revis up until the part where he supposedly has to be the highest paid CB. I mean if the Jets present him with a great contract that's 2 million less than what Asomugah got, is it really that big a blow to his pride? Jeez...f'n agent is filling his head with hot air

RhodyYanksFan
08-04-10, 12:45 PM
Yea, I'm with Revis up until the part where he supposedly has to be the highest paid CB. I mean if the Jets present him with a great contract that's 2 million less than what Asomugah got, is it really that big a blow to his pride? Jeez...f'n agent is filling his head with hot air

Yeah that's just pure ego talking.

I think the owner or GM of the White Sox said "a league is only as smart as it's dumbest owner." Al Davis set the market with his retarded contract to Asomugah.

montrealer
08-04-10, 02:11 PM
Great post....................Over the years I`ve soften on the re-negotiate demands by pro athletes..........In the real world a contract is a contract. I come to terms that pro athletes don`t live the real world. In this case I believe there is cause for negotiations but at what cost to the team. We all know that the window for a SB is small. I`ve been lucky being a Steelers fan. But these athletes must realize the play-offs are a crap shoot and just because you made it the past year doesn`t mean you`ll make it the next year. The NFL has made parity a part of their fabric of existence and it`s due to the cap. Hopefully Baseball will follow. It won`t make Yankee fans happy but the Cap world needs it`s place in sports.
While Revis claims to be the best he needs to put the Jets ahead of himself. But yes he deserves a raise ......but at what cost.