PDA

View Full Version : Who Went To Any of the Yankees Games in Philly?

bluecountry
11-07-09, 02:25 PM
For those who went to any of the games, I had a couple of questions.
If you wouldn't mind, could you answer?
Thanks!

1) Were there a lot of Yankees fans there?
-How many, what percent would you say they had?

2) Was this the normal amount the Yankees have in Philly?
-If not, what is?

3) How did this compare to when the Phillies are at the Yankees?
-Was the split similar/greater/less?

4) On TV…I was surprised. It looked and sounded like there was a decent amount of Yankees fans there…..but less than what Philly had at Yankee Stadium. This is not what I would have thought for many reasons.
First…this is the Yankees….the most successful and popular team in sports, playing in the biggest town which supports baseball more than anything. They played the Phillies….a team which had terrible support and which was constantly overlooked until recently in the football town of Philadelphia. The Phillies until recently had one of the worst histories in sports….it really seems odd and embarrassing that they from a smaller market, from a town is about football not baseball and has a pretty bad history would have the better showing of fans.
What gives…is New York just an overrated, soft sports town? I mean…to be outdone by the Phillies…who are 2nd fiddle to the Eagles…when you are the Yankees….in NYC…the biggest market…a baseball town…and the gold standard…not what you would think.

Thanks!

Ram Man
11-07-09, 03:36 PM
Your repetitive questions are tiresome, especially since you seem to already have all the answers. Then again, your tiresome, repetitive questions may not be for the purposes of determining the answers at all. I suspect that you are trying to conduct some kind of twisted experiment whereby you ask inane, repetitive questions that you essentially answer yourself, just for the purpose of seeing how many people will respond to point out that you ask inane questions.

okposo21
11-07-09, 06:04 PM
Your repetitive questions are tiresome, especially since you seem to already have all the answers. Then again, your tiresome, repetitive questions may not be for the purposes of determining the answers at all. I suspect that you are trying to conduct some kind of twisted experiment whereby you ask inane, repetitive questions that you essentially answer yourself, just for the purpose of seeing how many people will respond to point out that you ask inane questions.

Ram Man, don't forget his endless crusade to establish that all of New England (from connecticut to maine) is really yankees territory, and that the sox should be sanctioned for trying to "poach our fans".

Perseus71
11-07-09, 08:23 PM
I went to Philly and I was really expecting to be overwhelmed by the baseball experience. As a Yankee fan, we do know great baseball, championship teams and great tradition.

1) The cheesesteaks at the Citizen's was so subpar, I couldn't even eat halfway through it(and I love cheesesteaks). Yankee stadium has cheesesteaks that blow this away by a mile. Even in LA, they make better cheesesteaks at the Bruin in Westwood. Has philly lost this too? Bummer.

2) Stadium - for a 5 year old stadium, I was very disappointed. Think about Citi Field, but with narrow walkways especially in the food court area. The scoreboards look like they were imported from the Vet and to make it really out of date - in Standard Definition screens. Suffice to say, almost every seat is good for viewing, minus some nasty fans who were making fun of two orthodox jewish guys next to us. I don't mind tough fans, but bringing religion or race into a ball game is BS. They may have been one of the few rotten apples there and I hope that's true. It's definitely a stadium that was made on the cheap... Petco Park may have been cheaply made but looks much better :)

3) Yes, there were a lot of Yankee fans that were not afraid to show their colors. Had we gotten a few breaks, we may have clinched it in Philly, but I am glad we didn't.

4) As for experiencing a World Series game in Philly, it was like going to a Tuesday night game at Citi Field in August... Boring and sleepy. Also, if you are looking for an 80's experience, Citizens Bank Park is the right place. It was so retro 80's that I thought David Hasselhoff was going to come out in the 7th for God Bless America. They do have hot ball girls though...

5) Overall, I enjoyed Philly's ball park and it was fun to see the Yankees as a visiting team once again(outside New York). The people working in and around the stadium were 100% class and courteous and made me feel welcome as a baseball fan. FYI, I wanted to try the crab fries(i believe that's what it is), everybody was raving about them. Next time...

bluecountry
11-08-09, 01:39 PM
Thanks...anybody else go?

shotz
11-08-09, 01:43 PM
i was at every post season game via http://forums.nyyfans.com/images/nyyflogo_new_small.jpg so that counts

HAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bluecountry
05-18-10, 10:40 PM
Anybody else go?

PuffNettles9
05-19-10, 07:34 AM
Pats or Genos?

busyninja
05-19-10, 08:42 PM
Citizen's Bank Park is working on its 61st consecutive sellout tonight. Phillies fans are dedicated. Their pricing strategy on StubHub for CBP seems to be to set price seats so high that the seller's are happy if they sell (not surprisingly), but otherwise will attend the game themselves. There is not much downward pressure on seat prices close to game time.

With the exception of a few crazy seats at NYS that I will never sit in, purchasing tix off of StubHub is far cheaper at NYS than at CBP.

I have read criticism in earlier message about Citizen's Bank Park. I love that stadium. Great sight lines from almost everywhere. Tony Luke's steaks are nothing to write home about, but then again, neither or Pat's or Geno's.

I don't wear Yankees colors to any game except games at Yankee Stadium. Phillies fans are obnoxious even when you agree with them. They have a chip on their shoulder all the time. And not just last year and this year. I don't think it is a good idea to take Philly mass transit, buses and Broad Street Line, if you are wearing Yankees colors.

By the way, I started rooting for the Yankees when I was a kid living in Philly.

An incredible draft beer selection at Citizen's Bank Park. Sure, you can find Coors Light, etc at CBP, but you can also find Sierra Nevada, Anchor, Yards, Flying Fish, Sly Fox, Victory, Troegs, to name most but not all of the craft brews. And all at better prices than YS.

bluecountry
05-22-10, 07:29 PM
Well, this begs many questions.

1) When did you grow up in Philly as a Yankee fan? I recall 10 years ago baseball in Philly was irrevelvant.

2) Why is it CBP has more sell outs the YS, given YS is in a much bigger market with a much bigger brand name team? Are we less dedicated...why...given that NY is considered a baseball town, PHI a football town?

3) Have you seen a noticable decline in road fans at PHI games...and is there base fairweather?

Pat2390
06-01-10, 06:27 PM
I have seen the Yanks in Philly aas well. I am quite surprised that this stadium isnt so well recieved by posters. I've seen the Yanks in 15 stadiums and Citizen Bank is one of my favorites.
Lot of Yankee fans were in attendance and the Philly fans were jerks as expected. I do believe that when Philly visited the BX last season that they had a better turn out in the BX then we did in Philly.
I recommend checking that stadium out if you get the chance.