PDA

View Full Version : How important is the actual "stub" / hard ticket to you???

headshoes
10-22-09, 03:11 AM
With the Stubhubs instant delivery and the increased use of e-tickets..
My question is:

How important is the stub to you?
Are you willing to pay extra?

I can see this being an issue that for Opening Days', Playoffs etc... many will want the "actual" real deal!!

JimmyA
10-22-09, 06:27 AM

The hard ticket (they no longer give you a stub,right? You get the whole ticket after scanning) is of absolutely no importance.

Would not pay a dime extra. In fact, I pay less just to get e-tickets because you don't have the mail/delivery issues.

I plan on framing my World Series e-ticket if they make it and I go to the game. I also have a folder in my computer for .pdf souvenir tickets. There are plenty of other souvenirs of the game that one can get - IMO, the best souvenir is having your picture taken at the game itself.

This is no knock against people who like the hard tickets. They mean a lot to many people. But for me, it's of no importance how I get into the game so long as I get in.

bluetree
10-22-09, 06:36 AM
A cool looking ticket is nice to have but being at the big game is what matters most for me.

the tree
10-22-09, 07:41 AM
I personally can care less I throw them out, but I have a sister who replaced her wall paper in her bathroom with all the mets game tickets shes been too.

the tree
10-22-09, 07:59 AM
Why are there so many people at the end of the game trying to collect used tickets?

4bronxbombers
10-22-09, 08:03 AM
I save everything so a hard ticket for playoff games is important. I don't really care about the regular season although I do save them :o

Ram Man
10-22-09, 08:27 AM
Well, enjoy the hardcopy tickets while you can. My guess is that it won't be long until they are a thing of the past.

tpan413
10-22-09, 08:35 AM
I personally can care less I throw them out, but I have a sister who replaced her wall paper in her bathroom with all the mets game tickets shes been too.

At least she knows where the Mets tickets belong. In the bathroom with the rest of the crap

BBombers85
10-22-09, 08:49 AM
I save all my hard tickets, but I agree with Ram Man in that we're close to a day where there won't be hard tickets. (See Cleveland Caveliers)

kobak8
10-22-09, 08:57 AM
I really like the hard tickets and keep all I get, but recently I have been going for etickets because I just do not want to risk my tickets getting lost in the mail. 2 of mine for opening day got lost and it took some convincing for TM to change my order to etickets. In a perfect world though I would take hard tickets every time.

ThaKoolAidKid
10-22-09, 09:02 AM
At least she knows where the Mets tickets belong. In the bathroom with the rest of the crap

Haha, good call.

I like having a hard ticket too, it's just personal preference. But I agree that soon enough it will be e-tix or nothing.

BRNXBMRS
10-22-09, 09:11 AM
Hard tickets are great, nothing like going to a big game and framing the ticket with either the scorecard or the front page of the newspaper.

Mattingly3-6-3
10-22-09, 09:28 AM
They are important to me. I have every single ticket stub for every Yankee game I have ever been to dating back to 1989. I love em. The e-ticket sucks but I'm not totally upset about them. Going is more important to me.

jeterdaman
10-22-09, 09:47 AM
my wife prefers the hard one and not the stub.

wexy
10-22-09, 09:53 AM
I have a hard ticket stub from game 7 of the 2004 LCS.(I have lots of better ones)
I do like the hard ones better but hey its the 21st century
someone e-mailed me a ticket for game 1 of this years LCS didn't have to worry aboout meeting.
and for the two in my name , I didn't have to take time off to wait for the ups man

PuffNettles9
10-22-09, 10:00 AM

HAHAHA

Hard Tix for me...e-tix suck

dadrumma
10-22-09, 10:17 AM

the hard ticket is very important to me. i would pay extra to have it. already, i dont have a hard stub from opening day this year and old timers day this year, 2 i wouldve liked to have had considering they were the first time they happened at the stadium

YankeesFanJS
10-22-09, 10:29 AM
I saved the stub from my last game at the old Yankee Stadium, but that's the only one I kept...it doesn't really matter to me

robb01
10-22-09, 10:43 AM
Not important, i usually toss them anyways

nicastro130
10-22-09, 11:39 AM
im a fan of the stub... for memories and for the fact that i wont remember half the games i been too that actually have a meaning to them (like this years clinching the AL East after beating boston/ or jeter breaking the hit record) i keep those for my reference and its nice to have or even pass down... its like collecting baseball cards... do u keep just the ones of your favorite players or do u keep all of them?? everyone has their options...

JGriffinJS
10-22-09, 12:28 PM
def prefer the hard ticket, but i'd say in 5 years that will def be a thing of the past. sucks.

LDG
10-22-09, 12:52 PM
I save all the ticket stubs for the season in an empty Yankee tissue box in my office.

I still have the stub to Game 4 of the '99 WS.

They're little pieces of history, IMO.

hughes2008
10-22-09, 12:53 PM
I am a fan of the hard tickets. In fact, I left my entire full season ticket booklet intact this year, and only used and sold e-tickets. I have been doing the same thing for the 2009 playoffs.

I have kept a hard ticket from the 2003 game 7 ALCS in my wallet for the past 7 years. In fact, I have never thrown out a Yankees hard ticket. There is nothing like the hard tix as a keepsake, although I expect they will soon be an extinct species, and I agree that sending and receiving the e-tickets makes life infinitely more convenient.

AnAbombfromA-rod13
10-22-09, 01:41 PM
Only for the Yankees do i keep the hard tickets, other sports and events i ushally keep but i dont really care. For the Yanks i just like to keep them and on the back write a small summery of the game.

PricedOut
10-22-09, 02:04 PM
I far prefer e tixs.

I went to a game with my brother, my brother's friend.

All three of us were coming from different locales.
Instead of having to stand around outside and meet at gate four, I sent the tixs via e mail.

Done the same with other people.
A lot easier to "meet at the seats".

Also, what if I unexpectedly can't make a game ? Just e mail a PDF to a friend and the tix does not go wasted.

PLUS I like the advantage of an electronic ticket over a hard ticket, if I misplace or lose a ticket. Just print another copy.

PricedOut
10-22-09, 02:10 PM
That said, I do have a lot of old stubs saved:D
when I see the prices , I get both nostalgic and disgusted.
I remember when legend equivalent at O.Y.S. were $65-.
Not that long ago.
n 1977 , best field box seats ere $7 or $9
I don't save 8.5 by 11 paper:P

BronxYanks45
10-22-09, 02:16 PM
Why are there so many people at the end of the game trying to collect used tickets?

i've been trying to figure that one out as well

hard tickets are nicer than plain old printouts. If I had the option I'd play alittle extra for important games like opening day, old timers, ALDS, ALCS, WS but seems print outs are less hassle for the yankees/TM/MLB

hughes2008
10-22-09, 02:16 PM
Yup, it would be nice if the hard tickets continued to exist, but with the convenience of e-tix. The best of both worlds. :)

LDG
10-22-09, 02:37 PM

Most likely to sell to guys like this:

http://reviews.ebay.com/Collecting-Tickets-and-Stubs_W0QQugidZ10000000000920191

hughes2008
10-22-09, 02:52 PM
Most likely to sell to guys like this:

http://reviews.ebay.com/Collecting-Tickets-and-Stubs_W0QQugidZ10000000000920191

I save the tickets for love not money. But who knew?! :dunno:

4bronxbombers
10-22-09, 02:52 PM

:lol:

StingrayJG
10-22-09, 04:25 PM
All things being equal, if there were two identical offers for equivalent tickets to a game, I would choose the one with hard tickets first, since I'd like to have the traditional ticket as a memento and souvenir of the game.

But I would not let the issue of e-tickets or hard tickets prevent me from getting the tickets I want. If the ones I really wanted were e-ticket only, then so be it, I'd go for them.

yankeefangirl526
10-22-09, 04:35 PM
I hate e-tickets! When I go to games in Toronto it is like $5 more per ticket for real ones, so I usually just pick up one off the ground.

BBombers85
10-22-09, 04:46 PM
I hate e-tickets! When I go to games in Toronto it is like $5 more per ticket for real ones, so I usually just pick up one off the ground.

Now that's just weird since it doesn't even represent where you sat or probably even close to it. Why not just pick up random stubs every game and have season tickets?

kirbivore
10-22-09, 04:54 PM
I keep all my tickets. When the hard tickets went the way of the dodo I'll learn to live with it.

yankeesAZ
10-22-09, 05:05 PM
It's more important if I am buying something months in advance, that way the tickets are easier to sell down the road. Besides TM mails them for free, while they charge you $2.50 to print the tickets on your own printer.

But if I'm going next week or something or the tickets are cheap anyway, I'm fine with the e-tickets.

I've been able to sell both types of tickets, but etickets are harder to sell and bring lots of questions (rightfully so) from buyers. In a couple instances where I had extra seats, I promised to walk through the gate with them to prove they are legit.

Ram Man
10-22-09, 05:25 PM
I've been able to sell both types of tickets, but etickets are harder to sell and bring lots of questions (rightfully so) from buyers.

I don't disagree, but if you buy a hardcopy ticket from someone and don't do some checking, it may not be worth the card stock it is printed on for the simple reason that its bar code may have been entered into StubHub and the ticket already sold. Of course, that sort of thing would be traceable.

For me, if I were to buy any ticket from an individual, e-ticket or hardcopy, the first thing I would do would be to post it for sale on StubHub myself (with a very high price so it wouldn't really sell) just to make sure the bar code is valid. This would be a 100% guarantee with a hard ticket and for an e-ticket, while there might be other copies of it floating around, at least you would know that it was a legit bar code and if you got through the gates at the stadium before any of the other copies were presented you would be gold.

ThaKoolAidKid
10-22-09, 05:29 PM
You know what's great? Even when there's no options but e-ticket we'll still be paying $2.50 a ticket for delivery. A holes. Its an email there's no reason to charge for it.

StingrayJG
10-22-09, 05:47 PM
I would guess that it is a greater expense for ticketmaster to print physical tickets and deliver them through the mail to someone rather than just create a barcode and send them an email which I would guess has to virtually cost them next to nothing in comparison.

And yet they offer to send you physical tickets for free but charge you a fee for the e-tickets.
Again, I am assuming that their expenses are much less for e-ticketing. But if this is in fact the case, wouldn't the financially smart thing to do be to charge a fee for mailing physical tickets to the customer and make e-ticketing free? This way you are encouraging customers to use the method which costs your business less to perform, thus keeping costs down. Doesn't this make more business sense for them?
The only rationale I could think of for them doing it the way they do now is that e-ticketing is becoming more and more popular and people are paying the fee so at this point why take a fee away that people are accustomed to having to always pay.
I'm just surprised that with the way they push ticketfast on you whenever you buy from them that they also don't offer you a financial incentive on top of the convenience, such as making ticketfast free and charging for mailing tickets.

Mattdoc
10-22-09, 06:08 PM

I think she wants them near Flushing.

TheHugeUnit2
10-22-09, 06:12 PM
I bought all star tickets from a site last year and paid $11 for shipping, but it was an E-Ticket. I was pretty pissed off. I don't mind not getting one, but if its for like an all star game/playoff game I'd really want it.

Yankee Bouge
10-22-09, 08:42 PM
I'm a big fan of the hard ticket and I personally hate the eticket nonsense. I will go out of my way to buy a real ticket for a game and I only accept eticket as a last resort. There's nothing personal about an eticket and they are only as nice as the paper in your printer. I have some very nice Yankee tickets over the years and some awesome memories to go with. Plus, how cheesy does an eticket looked framed?? Very... But a real ticket from the last game played at Old Yankee Stadium? Priceless...

shum87nyy
10-22-09, 09:09 PM
I have a hard ticket to every sporting event I was at, except one Yankees game from last year in July, which I can buy on ebay at $2.
I would pay no more for hard tickets, since I can always find one on the floor of my section I sat in, or outside, and have never failed

DMattingly85MVP
10-23-09, 12:29 AM
its a nice keepsake to have in the event the game is historical in some way. I save every single one, Game 4 2001 WS, Final Game at the old stadium, Jeter ties and passes Gehrig to name a few. And I'm glad my dad saved the ticket stubs from the first yankee game I ever went to when I was 4 years old back in 1987.

michaelgrabow
09-16-11, 08:49 AM
Definitely want the actual ticket. That is the only reason I just stumbled on this board...looking for a way to get my hands on a ticket to the only game I've been to that I'm missing: 7/23/00 TBD@NYY

Hate e-tickets and sucessfully got Wrigley, PNC and Oriole Park to exchange them for hard tickets. Fenway and Citizen's Bank were not nearly as accommodating and I had to resort to finding one on the ground after the game. Ideally I'd have my seat, but I was out of options so it'll do.

I'm more than willing to pay extra for it and am hoping someone can help me track down the one I'm looking for!

SIMichael
09-16-11, 09:04 AM
I totally prefer the hardticket over the E-ticket. I have the 2009 Entire playoffs tickets framed.20365

michaelgrabow
09-16-11, 09:11 AM
I totally prefer the hardticket over the E-ticket. I have the 2009 Entire playoffs tickets framed.20365

That's awesome

jetercanotexarod
09-16-11, 09:52 AM
I very much prefer the hard ticket and save them all. When saw the Yankees in Dodger stadium in 2010, I had to hold up a sign that said Can I have your stub? in order to get one after the game. I just wanted the souvenier even it wasnt my seat

michaelgrabow
09-16-11, 09:54 AM
I very much prefer the hard ticket and save them all. When saw the Yankees in Dodger stadium in 2010, I had to hold up a sign that said Can I have your stub? in order to get one after the game. I just wanted the souvenier even it wasnt my seat

You are a good man!

I asked a neighbor at Fenway, but it was awkward and for some reason he had a tough time understanding why I wanted it...it was as if he thought I was trying to rip him off.

Try asking the club to exchange the e-ticket, I've had luck at 3/5 of the ballparks I've had to try that.

wexy
09-16-11, 10:02 AM
I prefer hard tickets and have tons of memorable ones and most of you know that I donated two to the Baseball of Fame but in this day in age, I just want to be able to get in to certain events.

JimmyA
09-16-11, 10:02 AM
Absolutely no difference.
Hard ticket gets me into the game.
E-ticket gets me into the game.
If I want souvenirs of the game, I take pictures. Got a photo of Jeter crossing the plate after his 3000th hit; don't need a hard ticket to prove it.
But I can see how it's different for collectors.

PuffNettles9
09-16-11, 10:26 AM
Ive got hard tickets of Yankee home games for both my kids born day and my wedding day, personally its kinda cool but to any other person they are just regular season dates/tix

Kentucky Bomber
09-16-11, 06:20 PM
I kept my $2 bleacher ticket when I went to the World Series in 1962, and just kept on saving them ever since. Got some plastic sheets to hold them and have a binder full of stubs back to then. It got complicated when they started scanning the bar code and handed back your full ticket, so there are a lot of different sized sheets. So obviously I prefer a "real" ticket to a sheet I print off on my computer. But like the man said, it gets me into the ballpark. Just doesn't look as nice.

And yes, I did get into the World Series, on game day, for $2 in both 1962 and 1964.

As far as buying and selling, I have an extra from the 3 grand slam game and thought about selling it, but there are 4 on eBay now with no bids. There's probably somebody out there wants it, but it's a buyer's market.

Ram Man
09-16-11, 06:55 PM
As far as buying and selling, I have an extra from the 3 grand slam game and thought about selling it, but there are 4 on eBay now with no bids. There's probably somebody out there wants it, but it's a buyer's market.

If someone wants to sell tickets stubs to such games, they have to act fast. I sold two stubs to the three GS game to two separate buyers for a total of $36. Not much, but if they're happy, I'm happy. I also sold four stubs to Jeter's 3000th game - averaged about $40 each. Right now the only one I see (TicketMaster ticket, not season plan ticket) that has bids is at $6.50.

4bronxbombers
09-17-11, 06:34 AM

Wow, thanks for that idea. I have every ticket (except Game 2) for the 2009 Playoffs. :) Did you frame it yourself?