PDA

View Full Version : Jake Peavy Declines Trade To White Sox

NYDCYankee
05-21-09, 09:26 AM
According to Heyman, just waiting for Peavy's approval.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/baseball/mlb/05/21/peavy.trade/index.html

S2
05-21-09, 09:30 AM
Sucks for Cubs fans, I'd imagine.

justtxyank
05-21-09, 09:30 AM
Wow. Out of the blue.

BRNXBMRS
05-21-09, 09:31 AM
Wow. Out of the blue.

Didnt see that one coming.

THEBOSS84
05-21-09, 09:33 AM
I wonder if they traded Gordon Beckham as a PTBNL.

JavyVazquezIsSick
05-21-09, 09:33 AM
What's the return?

justtxyank
05-21-09, 09:35 AM
Wilson Betemit

NYDCYankee
05-21-09, 09:36 AM
I wonder if they traded Gordon Beckham as a PTBNL.

Olney this morning was talking about how San Diego wanted middle infielders.

How about Alexei, Getz and a nice pitching prospect?

ShaneTravis
05-21-09, 09:36 AM
Well Peavy finally came to his senses.

wang+cano=future
05-21-09, 09:38 AM
I heard Buster Olney say this morning on the radio that Peavy is likely to reject this trade because he really doesn't want to play for Ozzie.

Also I heard Poreda is the centerpiece of the deal and that Beckham isn't in the discussions as a PTBNL...

StatenIslandYankee
05-21-09, 09:38 AM
Watch him get lit up in that ball park.

MTYankee23
05-21-09, 09:40 AM
Olney this morning was talking about how San Diego wanted middle infielders.

How about Alexei, Getz and a nice pitching prospect?

To go from the type of players San Diego was requesting in the offseason to those two guys and a singular nice pitching prospect would be awful asset management by San Diego.

THEBOSS84
05-21-09, 09:41 AM
To go from the type of players San Diego was requesting in the offseason to those two guys and a singular nice pitching prospect would be awful asset management by San Diego.

Agreed. They missed out big time.

blumj
05-21-09, 09:41 AM
Watch him get lit up in that ball park.
Can't think of a reason why he wouldn't refuse to waive the NTC unless there's lots of extra money in it for him.

Mark19
05-21-09, 09:42 AM
What a debacle, he is going to get crushed in that park and in the AL

Snatch Catch
05-21-09, 09:42 AM
How random. I too think that he's not waiving his NTC.

gold23
05-21-09, 09:43 AM
What a debacle, he is going to get crushed in that park and in the AL

Oh, I doubt that. I don't think he'll put up the same type of numbers, but his stuff is very good. I don't think he'll get "crushed".

THEBOSS84
05-21-09, 09:44 AM
It's hard to imagine both GM's going this far with the deal with Towers having no idea if his player would actually go there.

wang+cano=future
05-21-09, 09:44 AM
Clayton Richard, Aaron Poreda and two PTBNL according to my friend who has no connections to anything haha....

ShaneTravis
05-21-09, 09:47 AM
It's hard to imagine both GM's going this far with the deal with Towers having no idea if his player would actually go there.

My thought. After all the nonsense with previous trade ideas why announce something unless the player has agreed.

If I was Peavy? Get the heck out of San D.

Mark19
05-21-09, 09:49 AM
Oh, I doubt that. I don't think he'll put up the same type of numbers, but his stuff is very good. I don't think he'll get "crushed".

Crushed is all relative, he'll be a capable starter but his numbers will take a real hit.

Leaving PETCO, the NL West and low-pressure San Diego will take a real toll on him.

gold23
05-21-09, 09:51 AM
Crushed is all relative, he'll be a capable starter but his numbers will take a real hit.

Leaving PETCO, the NL West and low-pressure San Diego will take a real toll on him.

I can see that.

gold23
05-21-09, 09:52 AM
My thought. After all the nonsense with previous trade ideas why announce something unless the player has agreed.

If I was Peavy? Get the heck out of San D.

Maybe. But think of it this way....Peavy seems like the type of guy who wants and needs to be comfortable. There is very little pressure on the guy right now, he lives in friggin San Diego, he's making millions.....

Is his competitive nature such that he wants to be thrown into a major city with a crazy manager and a ton of pressure? You'd want to hope so if he's a major leaguer, but that's not always the case.

NYDCYankee
05-21-09, 09:53 AM
http://twitter.com/SI_JonHeyman

ShaneTravis
05-21-09, 09:55 AM
Maybe. But think of it this way....Peavy seems like the type of guy who wants and needs to be comfortable. There is very little pressure on the guy right now, he lives in friggin San Diego, he's making millions.....

Is his competitive nature such that he wants to be thrown into a major city with a crazy manager and a ton of pressure? You'd want to hope so if he's a major leaguer, but that's not always the case.

I would much rather go to work every day knowing we had a chance to win and possibly make the playoffs.

Watching San D's first baseman is the only reason to tune in. That team is just not very good.
Not a huge fan of White Sox but give Williams credit he tries to make things happen.

MTYankee23
05-21-09, 09:55 AM
Oddly enough though, San Diego has a better record than the White Sox.

dadrumma
05-21-09, 09:57 AM
this was really shocking, i didnt even see this coming at all. i mean i know he wanted outta there. hey at least hes not going to the red sox, one of them teams on his "list".

ShaneTravis
05-21-09, 10:01 AM
Oddly enough though, San Diego has a better record than the White Sox.

Comparing the NL West to the AL Central is apples to oranges. White Sox are 5.5 games out. San Diego are 10 games out.

And Peavy moving to Chicago instantly makes that team better. Diego has a good chance at a fire sale by mid way point. This is a team that lost 99 games last year.

More importantly is how I am going to feel when I read the minor leaguers that get shipped off in this trade.

Sickly I imagine.

b-ball-lunachick
05-21-09, 10:04 AM
I think Buster said that it came together pretty quickly though...everyone knows SD wants that salary gone and the White Sox seem desperate to upgrade their rotation even though I think Danks will be better...

I just don't see him going there...just a gut feeling though -- who knows - if he prefers the mid-west (is that a first -- usually you hear NE or W), maybe he takes it...

MTYankee23
05-21-09, 10:08 AM
Comparing the NL West to the AL Central is apples to oranges. White Sox are 5.5 games out. San Diego are 10 games out.

And Peavy moving to Chicago instantly makes that team better. Diego has a good chance at a fire sale by mid way point. This is a team that lost 99 games last year.

More importantly is how I am going to feel when I read the minor leaguers that get shipped off in this trade.

Sickly I imagine.

It's an odd trade to me, the White Sox despite being 5.5 games out of their mediocre division are one of the worst teams in the AL run differential wise. Not that San Diego is a contender, but if they made Peavy available again, you'd think a team with a better chance of contending would have made a better offer. I'm guessing that Peavy can't be too excited about going to Chicago's AL team.

Meixner007
05-21-09, 10:12 AM
I'm guessing that Peavy can't be too excited about going to Chicago's AL team.

He's got a no trade clause. If he doesn't want to go, he doesn't have to.

ojo
05-21-09, 10:12 AM

Sickly I imagine.

eh...the padres are competitive in spurts, and clearly they're in a down period...but is there a better place to play baseball if climate is important to you?

teknetic
05-21-09, 10:13 AM
Going to the AL and playing for Ozzie? absurd.

MTYankee23
05-21-09, 10:14 AM
He's got a no trade clause. If he doesn't want to go, he doesn't have to.

I know, that's why I think it's an odd trade. Of all the teams who have a need, the assets to do it, and are destinations he'd accept, I think Chicago has to be pretty low on that list.

blumj
05-21-09, 10:15 AM
this was really shocking, i didnt even see this coming at all. i mean i know he wanted outta there. hey at least hes not going to the red sox, one of them teams on his "list".
The Red Sox never seemed to have any interest in Peavy. Not that it necessarily means anything, but a lot of their FO really knows him since they came to Boston from SD a few years after he was drafted.

Meixner007
05-21-09, 10:19 AM
I know, that's why I think it's an odd trade. Of all the teams who have a need, the assets to do it, and are destinations he'd accept, I think Chicago has to be pretty low on that list.

I think if he gets traded his options kick in. Couple that with the fact that he said he wants to play in Chicago, albeit with the Cubs, I don't think it's that far out of the realm.

Let's look at it this way. He can play for a loser and make a boatload of money, or play for a winner and make a boatload of money.

JavyVazquezIsSick
05-21-09, 10:20 AM
His FB velocity is down this year in a big way.

tdel23
05-21-09, 10:21 AM
for some reason I've never been a Peavy fan.

MTYankee23
05-21-09, 10:22 AM
I think if he gets traded his options kick in. Couple that with the fact that he said he wants to play in Chicago, albeit with the Cubs, I don't think it's that far out of the realm.

Let's look at it this way. He can play for a loser and make a boatload of money, or play for a winner and make a boatload of money.

What if he goes to the White Sox?

Panamaniac42
05-21-09, 10:22 AM
Does that mean A-Gone and Bell are going to be shopped as well? Might as well tear it all down, they can get a lot for those guys.

NYYDragoon
05-21-09, 10:23 AM
Huh. As many have said already, this came out of the blue. Well, if he's going to the AL, better the Central than the East I suppose.

THEBOSS84
05-21-09, 10:24 AM
Does that mean A-Gone and Bell are going to be shopped as well? Might as well tear it all down, they can get a lot for those guys.

Too lazy to look, but I recall seeing in the offseason that due to his excellent contract, it wouldn't make sense for them to deal A-gone right now.

Unless the offers are the top 5 prospects from a given team.

DaSh 1s
05-21-09, 10:24 AM

A Gon would bring a absolute gold mine in return.

MTYankee23
05-21-09, 10:26 AM
Funny that Peavy will be going from the worst offensive team in baseball thus far to the uh...2nd worst offensive team in baseball, and that's without figuring in the DH.

ieddyi
05-21-09, 10:27 AM
His FB velocity is down this year in a big way.

According to fangraphs, it's only down from 92.1 to 91.9.

It has been less effective though ( look @ pitch type linear weights )

http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=1051&position=P

Mr. Mxylsplk
05-21-09, 10:28 AM
Too lazy to look, but I recall seeing in the offseason that due to his excellent contract, it wouldn't make sense for them to deal A-gone right now.

His contract averages about $4.5MM per through 2010. And it goes up each year, so he's cheaper than that for this year. Pretty sweet deal.

ShaneTravis
05-21-09, 10:28 AM
It's an odd trade to me, the White Sox despite being 5.5 games out of their mediocre division are one of the worst teams in the AL run differential wise. Not that San Diego is a contender, but if they made Peavy available again, you'd think a team with a better chance of contending would have made a better offer. I'm guessing that Peavy can't be too excited about going to Chicago's AL team.

He should have went to the Cubs, Redsox or Yankees in the offseason. But, it seems Towers has had some problems moving him. The ship might have sailed on a contender. Which is why I am going to be sick when he gets moved for 3 prospects. One good the others mediocre.

MTYankee23
05-21-09, 10:30 AM
He should have went to the Cubs, Redsox or Yankees in the offseason. But, it seems Towers has had some problems moving him. The ship might have sailed on a contender. Which is why I am going to be sick when he gets moved for 3 prospects. One good the others mediocre.

I'm wondering how we'll he'd have fared here. Especially with the way YSIII has played so far.

JavyVazquezIsSick
05-21-09, 10:32 AM
According to fangraphs, it's only down from 92.1 to 91.9.

It has been less effective though ( look @ pitch type linear weights )

http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=1051&position=P

Oh, I don't know. I just remember watch baseball tonight, and his fastball readings were all under 90.

b-ball-lunachick
05-21-09, 10:39 AM
Oh, I don't know. I just remember watch baseball tonight, and his fastball readings were all under 90.
Half the guns on these telecasts are wrong anyway...I think he still leads the NL in strikeouts, doesn't he?

DaSh 1s
05-21-09, 10:41 AM
I'm wondering how we'll he'd have fared here. Especially with the way YSIII has played so far.

I was on the Peavy bandwagon. I have to admit I like having AJ better

wang+cano=future
05-21-09, 10:45 AM
According to Gammons Beckham isn't in the deal......

b-ball-lunachick
05-21-09, 10:51 AM
According to Gammons Beckham isn't in the deal......
Ah, so Beckham is in the deal then. ;)

teknetic
05-21-09, 10:56 AM
Not that it's happening, but I wonder what Gonzo would cost. Hot damn.

gdn
05-21-09, 10:59 AM
Wow. And to not include Beckham? SD got ROBBED.

Yankeeah
05-21-09, 11:03 AM
F*ck you San Diego!

metalboy15
05-21-09, 11:15 AM
In his last start vs the Reds he was 92-94 according to the Padres' feed radar gun.

Looked very good imo.

yanksphan
05-21-09, 11:43 AM
I can't see JP waiving his NTC to play for that lunatic Guillen.

ppa79
05-21-09, 11:52 AM
If they give him a lot of money he'll go.

okposo21
05-21-09, 12:01 PM

Which is why he won't accept it and will stay in SD

JavyVazquezIsSick
05-21-09, 12:02 PM
I wonder what Jake gets out of it.

Snatch Catch
05-21-09, 12:04 PM
Poreda and Richard as centerpieces. Hilarious.

wang+cano=future
05-21-09, 12:06 PM
If they give him a lot of money he'll go.

Like picking up his $22 million option.....That will probably motivate Peavy to go to Chicago and put up with Ozzie.

R.V.47
05-21-09, 12:25 PM
I wonder if Peavy will not approve the deal out of worry that his numbers could take a hit in the AL.

keg411
05-21-09, 12:34 PM
I have Peavy on my fantasy team and just as he's finally started to pay off, he has to go to the ChiSox in a smaller park, in a more diffuclt division. Yuck.

Snatch Catch
05-21-09, 12:39 PM
I wonder what Jake gets out of it.

Evidently nothing as of now...

JavyVazquezIsSick
05-21-09, 01:00 PM
You couldn't get me out of San Diego for free. I'm sure he'll get something.

Snatch Catch
05-21-09, 01:22 PM
You couldn't get me out of San Diego for free. I'm sure he'll get something.

I'm saying it looks like it's not happening, so he's getting nothing out of the situation.

justtxyank
05-21-09, 01:32 PM
I don't care how bad they are, I'd never want out of San Diego.

b-ball-lunachick
05-21-09, 01:41 PM
Maybe he's afraid Giles will beat him up if he stays. ;)

justtxyank
05-21-09, 01:45 PM
Maybe he's afraid Giles will beat him up if he stays. ;)

If he does, he'd could always take comfort in the idea of the beautiful ladies of San Diego tending his wounds.

Snatch Catch
05-21-09, 01:49 PM
If he does, he'd could always take comfort in the idea of the beautiful ladies of San Diego tending his wounds.

Hatchet wounds everywhere.

JL25and3
05-21-09, 01:50 PM
this was really shocking, i didnt even see this coming at all. i mean i know he wanted outta there. hey at least hes not going to the red sox, one of them teams on his "list".Actually, I don't think Peavy's ever said he wanted out of there.

Casey37
05-21-09, 01:50 PM
Assuming this trade does go through, I certainly hope the pitching prospects the Padres are getting in return don't pan out. Screw them.

JavyVazquezIsSick
05-21-09, 01:57 PM

Ditto. San Diego to Chicago. If I'm Peavy, I'd need some type of consolation.

gold23
05-21-09, 02:20 PM
Ditto. San Diego to Chicago. If I'm Peavy, I'd need some type of consolation.

Depends what you like. I LOVE San Diego, but I'd much prefer to live in Chicago. I like four seasons, Chicago in the summer is simply wonderful, it's a more vibrant and lively city, etc. Two totally different places, both excellent.

roblyo33
05-21-09, 02:22 PM
Depends what you like. I LOVE San Diego, but I'd much prefer to live in Chicago. I like four seasons, Chicago in the summer is simply wonderful, it's a more vibrant and lively city, etc. Two totally different places, both excellent.

Beautiful women in both cities but, less clothing in San Diego.........;)

b-ball-lunachick
05-21-09, 02:27 PM
As I said earlier, I don't see him signing off on it....

The agent for San Diego Padres pitcher Jake Peavy expressed doubt Thursday that his client is ready to sign off on a proposed trade to the Chicago White Sox.
Agent Barry Axelrod told ESPN.com's Jerry Crasnick that Peavy has a "strong preference" to stay in the National League. That preference, along with Peavy's fondness for his new home in Southern California, could impede a proposed deal that would send the pitcher to Chicago.

"If I had to make a bet on it, I would guess that Jake would say he's not ready to take that step today," Axelrod said. "But he wouldn't necessarily preclude it at any time in the future.

"We aren't hiding anything from anybody. Jake has a strong preference to stay in the National League. He has a comfort zone there, he's been successful, and he's won a Cy Young Award. I don't know that on May 21, that preference has eroded very much. From our point of view we may say, 'Let's give [the Padres] more time and see if a National League team might step up over the next six weeks.'

"If this were any one of three or four other teams and they called about him, Jake would jump at it. He would be willing. They know who they are. They know that certain places are more enticing to him."

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4191562

ChewieTobbacca
05-21-09, 03:26 PM
Beautiful women in both cities but, less clothing in San Diego.........;)

Year-round too :P

(I think we had maybe 20 total days under 60 degrees this year in SoCal, and this was a cold year!)

THEBOSS84
05-21-09, 03:30 PM
As I said earlier, I don't see him signing off on it....

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4191562

Negotiation ploy...

JavyVazquezIsSick
05-21-09, 03:31 PM

I wouldn't leave San Diego for the fish tacos alone.

THEBOSS84
05-21-09, 03:33 PM
I've spent 8 hours of my life in SD, and I loved every minute of it.

NYYRules#1
05-21-09, 04:24 PM
I can't see Peavy waving his NTC for this. And Towers is an idiot if he doesn't realize that.

(Well, he's an idiot anyways for making this deal, but I think even he'd realize Peavy's not waving his NTC unless he gets something good out of this.)

Mark19
05-21-09, 04:41 PM
the ChiSox losing 20-1 today probably won't improve his perception of that ballclubs fortunes.

Stupid Flanders
05-21-09, 04:42 PM
Unless it's to a California team, an NL West team, Atlanta, Houston, Florida or the Cubs, I don't see Peavy approving any deals. Maybe Texas.

Cuban Connection
05-21-09, 04:43 PM
Peavy says he respects the White Sox organization and Guillen, and Scott Linebrink said the change over to the AL is not big deal. Who knows.

What does it say about the NL if the top pitchers want to avoid playing in the AL? I guess he really likes to bat.

Cuban Connection
05-21-09, 05:28 PM
Well it sounds like he's rejecting it as the Sox aren't going to be picking up that $22 million option for 2013.

It would've been nice to have a player of his caliber on the team but that contract is huge, his health is a concern, his home/road splits show a significant difference, and he didn't feel comfortable pitching in the AL.

Oh well. Could be a blessing in disguise.

The White Sox need to clean up some their junk currently wasting space on the roster.

Chacon
05-21-09, 05:30 PM
It is a blessing in disguise for you considering how he has melted down in every big game he has ever pitched in. Trevor Hoffman must have really rubbed off on him.

Pancake
05-21-09, 05:39 PM

The only time it sucks, in my opinion, is when the ground shakes. Like last weekend. Otherwise, you could not pry me out of here with a crowbar!

themgmt
05-21-09, 05:53 PM
Peavy is a punk.

Rocketbooster
05-21-09, 05:58 PM
Peavy is scared to pitch in the AL. He's a very fine pitcher, but I said this at the time the trade rumors were hot and heavy - no thanks to a guy with this attitude. He'd rather stay in SD, with no possibility of winning, then go to a great city where he could maybe anchor a division winner (not that the Sox are so great). That says a lot about the guy,.

teknetic
05-21-09, 06:00 PM
(http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/baseball/mlb/players/6872)Jake Peavy (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/baseball/mlb/players/6872) has rejected a proposed trade to the White Sox (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/baseball/mlb/teams/white_sox), SI.com's Jon Heyman has learned.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/baseball/mlb/05/21/peavy.trade/index.html

Shocker.

ny
05-21-09, 06:07 PM
Peavy is gutless

Cuban Connection
05-21-09, 06:08 PM
Heyman's twitter

one bad sign late in the game on peavy: #white sox were asked by #padres: "you got any ideas on how to persuade him?''

ShaneTravis
05-21-09, 06:13 PM
Maybe he figures he can hold out for a better offer. A contender by All Star break that needs a front line pitcher and desperate enough to give him an extension.

Panamaniac42
05-21-09, 06:14 PM
And Peavy blocks the pale-hosed cock.

Panamaniac42
05-21-09, 06:16 PM
Peavy is gutless

I can't say I disagree.

NYYDragoon
05-21-09, 07:27 PM
Oh well. It was interesting while it lasted.

JDPNYY
05-21-09, 07:28 PM
He probably watched today's ChiSox Game.

BxBomber44
05-21-09, 07:43 PM
Wang + Nady + Miranda + Edwar for Peavy + B level prospect

NewEraYanks2527
05-21-09, 07:52 PM
Wang + Nady + Miranda + Edwar for Peavy + B level prospectHe won't play int he wide open AL East on a White Sox team that is not that bad.

Why would he want the bright lights and brutal schedule of being in the AL East, in a Yankee uniform? This is no longer a question of what package lands him but will a team he actually wants to play for make the trade?

Stupid Flanders
05-21-09, 08:23 PM
Peavy is gutless

I can't say I disagree.
Why? because the guy signeda well below market value contract because he wanted to stay with a team and got a NTC in order to do so? When someone DOESN'T use a NTC in order to get a huge contract extension, they're "gutless"?

Stupid Flanders
05-21-09, 08:23 PM
Wang + Nady + Miranda + Edwar for Peavy + B level prospectThe Padres wouldn't do that deal and Peavy doesn't want to pitch in New York.

themgmt
05-21-09, 08:40 PM
Why? because the guy signeda well below market value contract because he wanted to stay with a team and got a NTC in order to do so? When someone DOESN'T use a NTC in order to get a huge contract extension, they're "gutless"?

Well below market value? He already signed an extension for about 3/$54M with a $22M option for a 4th year.

Mark19
05-21-09, 09:01 PM
Kind of pitiful that ESPN has to feed second-hand rumors to Gammons so he appears coherent and informed. I'm not sure old Gammo has seen a game outside of Fenway in 3 or 4 years.

BonusCantos
05-21-09, 09:10 PM
A mod's probably going to have to change this title.

TheInfallibleOne
05-21-09, 09:14 PM
Betcha hes in Boston by the deadline.

False1
05-21-09, 09:30 PM
Chicago was REAAAALLY naive if they thought that exercising that option wasn't going to be a requirement for Peavy to accept a trade. They spent a whole bunch of time and put players on the block for nothing if they weren't ready to do that.

Billy Ball 2008
05-21-09, 09:37 PM
Betcha hes in Boston by the deadline.

Maybe...but I think Peavy would rather not pitch in the AL.

Panamaniac42
05-21-09, 09:41 PM

I was mostly thinking about his 12.10 postseason ERA and 14.40 WBC ERA (SSS I know I know)...throw in his desire to leave San Diego yet avoid a stressful market/situation, then yes, that's how I feel.

rtb07
05-21-09, 10:27 PM
I was mostly thinking about his 12.10 postseason ERA and 14.40 WBC ERA (SSS I know I know)...throw in his desire to leave San Diego yet avoid a stressful market/situation, then yes, that's how I feel.

If i was him i would do the same its smart not gutless.He likes the area and likes the low key situation he is in.Why bother having a no trade clause if you don't plan on using it.

He is holding out to see if there is a better offer by july and if not may take it then.But its a smart move on his part,I would not wanjt to play for the sox's either.

delv
05-22-09, 12:19 AM
the reason most of these guys play baseball at the MLB level is, predominantly, so they can live better, more comfortably, and happier with their friends and family. Peavy clearly has that in mind.

Vin
05-22-09, 12:55 AM
The real question is: Should the Yankees include Hughes in any potential deal with Peavy...

nnysiny
05-22-09, 06:05 AM
The real question is: Should the Yankees include Hughes in any potential deal with Peavy...
The real question is: why does anyone still think that he might go to the AL? hes clearly afraid of a challenge

R.V.47
05-22-09, 07:56 AM
The real question is: why does anyone still think that he might go to the AL? hes clearly afraid of a challenge

Yea if hes scared of pitching in the AL Central, he would probably faint at the thought of pitching in the AL East.

keg411
05-22-09, 09:05 AM
Peavy has said he wants to go to the NL and within the NL he prefers the Cubs and the Braves.

Retire21
05-22-09, 09:31 AM
From what I've read, very few teams will be taking on additional payroll this summer; with Peavy's salary obligations the next few years, he's not exactly attractive and I doubt San Diego is going to be willing to eat much if any of his contract.

Personally, I think it would be funny and indeed fitting if he remained stuck in San Diego. He seems to want his cake and eat it too. If it is comfort he wants, he can waste away in San Diego going 7-15 the next few years.

I understand wanting to be around family and an environment you enjoy. However, if you're going to openly complain about your team and demand a trade, don't then subsequently cry when you pull the plug on potential trades.

yanksphan
05-22-09, 11:18 AM
I don't recall him ever complaining about the Padres....?

heyabbott
05-22-09, 11:18 AM
no one in their right mind would want to play for Ozzie. He's a fool and a tool. And not a good manager. He got lucky with the WS win. He's the baseball equivilant of George HW Bush, born on thrid base and believes he hit a triple.

bigwampum
05-22-09, 05:39 PM
I wouldn't want to play for the White Sox either.

False1
05-22-09, 05:42 PM
Yea if hes scared of pitching in the AL Central, he would probably faint at the thought of pitching in the AL East.Has he said this? It wouldn't surprise me if this was straight out of CC's proactive negotiation strategy... Wow, I really don't want to change leagues, I really like San Diego better than [insert city here], I'm a country guy, blah blah blah... would you be willing to pick up that $22MM option out there?

The Sox were fools to think they'd complete that deal w/out picking up the option. I wonder if they'd agreed to do that if that deal goes down.

yanksphan
05-23-09, 06:41 AM
6IP 10K 2H 0R vs the Cubs last night.

Sick sick fastball.

Cuban Connection
05-23-09, 07:59 PM
“I was humbled by the Chicago White Sox and their interest in me,” said Peavy, who refuted a teammate's speculation that he had reservations about White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen. “It's certainly not an easy thing to do, especially when an organization has as much pride and commitment to winning as the Chicago White Sox. We told 'em we're not closing the door to anything.”

San Diego Union Tribune.

Clayton Richard tonight: 6 IP, 4 H, 3 BB's, 0 ER, 8 K's

TheInfallibleOne
05-24-09, 07:11 PM
Peavy has said he wants to go to the NL and within the NL he prefers the Cubs and the Braves.

Sabathia wanted to stay in the NL too until we threw him a boatload of cash. No one is crucifying him...

jlw1980
05-25-09, 02:56 AM
Shouldn't the thread title be modified?

budstinks
05-25-09, 07:58 AM
with Peavy's salary obligations the next few years, he's not exactly attractive and I doubt San Diego is going to be willing to eat much if any of his contract.

Compared to who? The deal AJ Burnett or CC just signed?

3 years at $52 mil is not a huge contract in my mind. At least he gives you what you pay for. And not in a 7-8 year deal like most prime pitchers want.

http://mlbcontracts.blogspot.com/2000/05/most-lucrative-contracts.html

Starting pitchers
The highest-paid active starting pitchers, by average annual value:

CC Sabathia, $23,000,000 (2009-15)
Johan Santana, $22,916,667 (2008-13)
Carlos Zambrano, $18,300,000 (2008-12)
Barry Zito, $18,000,000 (2007-13)
Jake Peavy, $17,333,333 (2010-12)
A.J. Burnett, $16,500,000 (2009-13)

Jason Schmidt, $15,666,667 (2007-09)
Derek Lowe, $15,000,000 (2009-12)
Roy Oswalt, $14,600,000 (2007-11)
Mark Buehrle, $14,000,000 (2008-11)

Roy Halladay, $13,333,333 (2008-10)
Ryan Dempster, $13,000,000 (2009-12)

Chris Carpenter, $12,700,000 (2008-11)
Bronson Arroyo, $12,500,000 (2009-10)
Kevin Millwood, $12,000,000 (2006-10)

budstinks
05-25-09, 07:59 AM
Peavy is gutless

I think he is greedy, not gutless.

Guarantee his option and go to the AL East in a nanosecond.

Stick Michael
05-28-09, 03:44 AM
I take no issue with any player who exercises a 'no trade' clause. There's a reason agents fight like hell to have them included in their players' contracts. I laugh when I hear people say someone with a NTC on a bad team is a loser, has no guts, etc., if he decides to stay put instead of accepting a trade to a contender. It's as if the player's happiness and well-being, family considerations and, oh yeah, contractual right, should automatically be kicked to the curb in favor of the all-important 'having a chance to win'.

effdamets
05-28-09, 11:07 AM
I take no issue with any player who exercises a 'no trade' clause. There's a reason agents fight like hell to have them included in their players' contracts. I laugh when I hear people say someone with a NTC on a bad team is a loser, has no guts, etc., if he decides to stay put instead of accepting a trade to a contender. It's as if the player's happiness and well-being, family considerations and, oh yeah, contractual right, should automatically be kicked to the curb in favor of the all-important 'having a chance to win'.Wouldn't playing for any other reason than "a chance to win" be classified as "the wrong reasons"?

I have never heard a ball player - in any sport - say, "it doesn't matter to me if I never win a championship".

Soriambi
05-28-09, 12:09 PM
Wouldn't playing for any other reason than "a chance to win" be classified as "the wrong reasons"?

I have never heard a ball player - in any sport - say, "it doesn't matter to me if I never win a championship".

Maybe he has loyalty to the Padres, the team that drafted him and that he's spent his whole career with, and wants to win a title with them some day.

Yankeeah
05-28-09, 12:13 PM
Maybe he has loyalty to the Padres, the team that drafted him and that he's spent his whole career with, and wants to win a title with them some day.

He has given specific clubs he would be traded to, so he is certainly open to trading.

Jake wanted to be traded to the Cubs, so the problem isn't Chicago. He either doesn't like something about the White Sox or theAmerican League.

keg411
05-28-09, 12:31 PM
He has given specific clubs he would be traded to, so he is certainly open to trading.

Jake wanted to be traded to the Cubs, so the problem isn't Chicago. He either doesn't like something about the White Sox or theAmerican League.

He's said he doesn't want to play in the AL. Neither did Maddox and he's considered an all-time great.

DaSh 1s
05-28-09, 10:25 PM
We should trade for him, he would be a great bridge to MO and then we can groom him into Mo's heir.

Steve Dalkowski
05-28-09, 10:36 PM
Starting pitchers
The highest-paid active starting pitchers, by average annual value:

CC Sabathia, $23,000,000 (2009-15)
Johan Santana, $22,916,667 (2008-13)
Carlos Zambrano, $18,300,000 (2008-12)
Barry Zito, $18,000,000 (2007-13)
Jake Peavy, $17,333,333 (2010-12)
A.J. Burnett, $16,500,000 (2009-13)

Jason Schmidt, $15,666,667 (2007-09)
Derek Lowe, $15,000,000 (2009-12)
Roy Oswalt, $14,600,000 (2007-11)
Mark Buehrle, $14,000,000 (2008-11)

Roy Halladay, $13,333,333 (2008-10)
Ryan Dempster, $13,000,000 (2009-12)

Chris Carpenter, $12,700,000 (2008-11)
Bronson Arroyo, $12,500,000 (2009-10)
Kevin Millwood, $12,000,000 (2006-10)

This is not a knock on the Yankees at all, but I just cannot believe that a starting pitcher in MLB is making $23M a year. That is absurd. Almost as absurd is Arroyo making $12.5M.

My first born son is going to throw lefty and we'll start long-tossing in elementary school.

NYYDragoon
05-28-09, 10:47 PM
We should trade for him, he would be a great bridge to MO and then we can groom him into Mo's heir.I lol'd.

False1
05-29-09, 12:00 AM
He's said he doesn't want to play in the AL. Neither did Maddox and he's considered an all-time great.CC wanted to stay in the NL. He wanted to be able to hit. He didn't want to leave the West Coast... blah, blah...

Probably because all of the serious contenders for his services were in the AL and/or on the East Coast. Yankees want me? Hmmm... I'm not sure, AL/East Coast.... I CAN HAZ $160MM???

Same with Peavy. I can think of two teams that going into the offseason this year had openings in the rotation and the ability to pick up that $22MM option he has out there. They both happen to be in the AL, and on the East Coast. Imagine that!

And I agree with Stick and others that it's silly to ridicule someone for exercising an NTC for whatever reason they so choose.

Stick Michael
05-29-09, 03:16 AM

You'll probably never hear an athlete say that. All I'm saying is that I don't fault any player who exercises his NTC because he doesn't want to uproot his family, he wants to remain in the same city and/or organization, etc. It doesn't matter what the reason is, really. If an organization thinks highly enough of a player that they're willing to give him a NTC he should owe no one any apologies if he chooses to use it.