PDA

View Full Version : The 2009 Dave Robertson Performance Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

OldYankeeFan
04-16-09, 11:50 AM
Robertson has been called up. Nice timing for him as the Stadium opens. Best of luck Dave, well deserved. In his 5 inning of relief at AAA he allowed 2 hits, no runs, and 10 K's.

Per Pete:
UPDATE, 10:18 a.m.: I’m in a car but my colleagues from the paper just texted to say that RHP Dave Robertson was called up to replace Xavier Nady on the roster.

mr.roy
04-16-09, 12:04 PM
This means more playing time for Melky.
Anyway, is Robertson more of a long relief guy that the bull-pen was missing?
Girardi wants him here for Wang next start, no doubt.

Bub
04-16-09, 12:11 PM
Interesting move. Looks like they feel more of a need to bolster the pen than the bench. If A-Rod was on the team I'd have no problem with the move, but without him we now have a hole or two in the lineup and a weak bench too.

b-ball-lunachick
04-16-09, 12:16 PM
Not necessarily...they brought up the reliever since they're not sure yet if Nady is going to the 15day or 60day DL...

Glad to see Robertson although I thought he should have made the team out of ST...

CallOfTheCrow
04-16-09, 12:17 PM

He has setup man kind of stuff. How Girardi will use him? That's a different story.

JavyVazquezIsSick
04-16-09, 12:24 PM
Would of preferred Miranda, this team could really use a PH.

THEBOSS84
04-16-09, 12:24 PM
I don't see where Robertson would be used at this point.

bmxstreetrider86
04-16-09, 12:25 PM
I don't see where Robertson would be used at this point.

anywhere

Bub
04-16-09, 12:28 PM
I don't see where Robertson would be used at this point.Long relief, extra innings, blowout games. He'll get some work, but probably not a lot of important work.

THEBOSS84
04-16-09, 12:28 PM
anywhere

Let's see what Joe thinks of him. I'd love to see him in a big spot sooner rather than later, but there are so many other options ahead of him. I never liked Veras - I'd love to trade him for an OF and have Robertson take over his place higher up in the pen.

MTYankee23
04-16-09, 12:31 PM
Let's see what Joe thinks of him. I'd love to see him in a big spot sooner rather than later, but there are so many other options ahead of him. I never liked Veras - I'd love to trade him for an OF and have Robertson take over his place higher up in the pen.

It's too bad Bowden isn't the GM in Washington anymore, he'd have traded Willingham AND Milledge to us for Veras.

THEBOSS84
04-16-09, 12:35 PM
It's too bad Bowden isn't the GM in Washington anymore, he'd have traded Willingham AND Milledge to us for Veras.

Haha - that would have been lovely.

KLJ
04-16-09, 12:50 PM
Glad to see Robertson although I thought he should have made the team out of ST...
i agree.. i think this kid is going to be a good pitcher

JavyVazquezIsSick
04-16-09, 12:58 PM
Needs to keep down his walk totals.

primetime714
04-16-09, 01:11 PM
Would of preferred Miranda, this team could really use a PH.

That's what I thought they would do as well. Now our only options off the bench are Melky, Pena, and Molina. As bad as Ransom has played do you really pinch hit any of those guys for him? Probably not.

I'm guessing this 13 pitcher thing might be temporary though. I think they acknowledged that Robertson might be more deserving of a spot than one of the other guys they're currently carrying and with Joba and Wang going back to back this weekend the bullpen could certainly use the extra depth. If Wang is back to his usual self on Saturday I think one of our relievers goes down and someone like Miranda, JRod, or Shelly comes up. Hopefully Miranda though, with the way he is playing in AAA he definitely deserves the spot and with Melky on the bench our OF is fine.

Hellsing
04-16-09, 04:25 PM
A RP that throws strikes and gets people out.

Shocking.

TheHugeUnit2
04-16-09, 04:32 PM
A RP that throws strikes and gets people out.

Shocking.
When Veras came in, I was just telling someone where is Robertson?

THEBOSS84
04-16-09, 04:39 PM

I wish this happened today...

CallOfTheCrow
04-16-09, 04:40 PM
Love Veras' stuff but like everyone says, the inconsistency & lack of command scares the hell out of me.

Robertson may have less experience but I'm much more comfortable with him pitching in a big spot over Veras.

JavyVazquezIsSick
04-16-09, 04:41 PM
Robertson's command has been equally bad.

ThunderFan
04-16-09, 04:44 PM
Robertson's command has been equally bad.2 ip 0r 0 hard hit balls.

JavyVazquezIsSick
04-16-09, 04:45 PM
2 ip 0r 0 hard hit balls.

Exactly

smckdwn989
04-16-09, 04:48 PM
one thing about the yankees pen is we do have guys that can come up to replace guys that aren't getting it done (veras).

ThunderFan
04-16-09, 04:48 PM
ExactlyHe's earned his shot to pitch. Veras certainly doesn't deserve those 7th innings.

THEBOSS84
04-16-09, 04:51 PM
one thing about the yankees pen is we do have guys that can come up to replace guys that aren't getting it done (veras).

Veras is out of options - there is no way they DFA him.

JavyVazquezIsSick
04-16-09, 04:56 PM
He's earned his shot to pitch. Veras certainly doesn't deserve those 7th innings.

I'm not debating he hasn't earned a shot, I'm simply stating his control has been just as bad. Usually relievers with shaky control don't make it.

smckdwn989
04-16-09, 04:58 PM
Veras is out of options - there is no way they DFA him.

if he ends up pitching like latroy hawkins... i am not so sure about this....

dave8274
04-16-09, 05:00 PM
if he ends up pitching like latroy hawkins... i am not so sure about this....

Latroy Hawkins never thought about being this bad.

NYKforever
04-16-09, 05:09 PM
Veras should be brought in the game either up by 5+ or down by 5+. Then if he ups his value, deal his ass as quickly as possible.

acny263
04-16-09, 05:24 PM
D-Rob was a small positive out of today's game. Hopefully this gives him some confidence going into his next outing.

ppa79
04-16-09, 08:33 PM
I thought Robertson used to throw in the mid 90s. Today he was throwing 89-90.

KLJ
04-16-09, 08:34 PM
he's usually in the low 90s. i think the yes gun is normally slower than most others

teknetic
04-16-09, 08:38 PM
he's usually in the low 90s. i think the yes gun is normally slower than most others

Pretty sure I sure him hitting 94-95 on gameday last year. Not with regularity, but I expected 90-91 and he came out throwing harder.

SLURPEE
04-16-09, 08:42 PM
Robertson hasn't thrown mid 90's in a while. Maybe since his college days he was mid 90's?
Since being drafted he's mainly been low 90's with good movement on the 2-seamer.

Melancon and Robertson sound like similar pitchers but Melancon better.

I believe Melancon has a better FB.
Perhaps better curve. Not really sure about that because Robertson's curve is good too.
And both have change-ups. I'm hearing Melancon has a very good change.

metalboy15
04-16-09, 08:43 PM
Nope.

Always been a 90-92 mph guy.

Averaged ~91 mph on the fastball last year according to BIS data.

metalboy15
04-16-09, 08:45 PM
Robertson hasn't thrown mid 90's in a while. Maybe since his college days he was mid 90's?
Since being drafted he's mainly been low 90's with good movement on the 2-seamer.

Melancon and Robertson sound like similar pitchers but Melancon better.

I believe Melancon has a better FB.
Perhaps better curve. Not really sure about that because Robertson's curve is good too.
And both have change-ups. I'm hearing Melancon has a very good change.
Robertson has a better curveball than Melancon.

For me:

Fastball: Melancon > Robertson
Curveball: Melancon < Robertson.

SLURPEE
04-16-09, 08:51 PM
Robertson has a better curveball than Melancon.

For me:

Fastball: Melancon > Robertson
Curveball: Melancon < Robertson.

From everything I've heard I give Melancon the edge with the change-up. Which is nice to have that 3rd pitch (show me pitch) not just 2 pitches.

Really Robertson has a better curve? How much better?

ppa79
04-16-09, 08:57 PM
Nope.

Always been a 90-92 mph guy.

Averaged ~91 mph on the fastball last year according to BIS data.

Didn't Robertson throw 95 in college?

metalboy15
04-16-09, 09:13 PM
From everything I've heard I give Melancon the edge with the change-up. Which is nice to have that 3rd pitch (show me pitch) not just 2 pitches.

Really Robertson has a better curve? How much better?
I wouldn't say a lot better, but it's definitely better.

Robertson's curveball has more depth to it, but still has enough power to fool hitters into thinking fastball.

Outside of A.J. Burnett, I can't think of a guy with a better hook than Robertson in the entire Yankee organization...

Yes including Christian Garcia.

metalboy15
04-16-09, 09:33 PM
Didn't Robertson throw 95 in college?
Well BA did say he was "up to 95 mph" his last year at Alabama ('06).

... David is undersized, with a quick arm and clean delivery. He has been up to 95 mph, with a slider that sits around 81-83 mph. He will cut his fastball in any count...

What I was trying to say was that... Since signing with the Yanks back in '06, and destroying the minor leagues for that matter, he's always been a 90-92 guy.

smckdwn989
04-17-09, 11:44 AM
he got sent down today for miranda... damn it.

the guy deserves to be in the bigs and show us what he's got. he's going to be this year's chris britton

dadrumma
04-17-09, 11:54 AM

the guy deserves to be in the bigs and show us what he's got. he's going to be this year's chris britton

yea i can see how this morning went

"hey dave, you did a great job yesterday holding the tribe at 10 runs and didnt make it anymore embarrassing, but youre no damaso marte, enjoy swb!!!"

honestly though, he did a great job yesterday and it might of been a mop up role, he did his job while marte and veras are earning big paychecks, he effectively did his job right. such bull

Rocketbooster
04-17-09, 11:54 AM

Someone mentioned elsewhere that DR wasn't going to be available today after yesterday, so there's no point in keeping him up. The shuttle is in full working order - he'll be up again at some point.

mr.roy
04-17-09, 11:59 AM
Too bad. I was eagerly awaiting him to out pitch Marte again.

smckdwn989
04-17-09, 12:23 PM
Someone mentioned elsewhere that DR wasn't going to be available today after yesterday, so there's no point in keeping him up. The shuttle is in full working order - he'll be up again at some point.

that's great, so we have to wait like 2 weeks to bring him back.

Bub
04-17-09, 12:24 PM

the guy deserves to be in the bigs and show us what he's got. he's going to be this year's chris brittonYeah, but think of the airline miles he can rack up?

smckdwn989
04-17-09, 12:28 PM
Yeah, but think of the airline miles he can rack up?

chris britton exchanged his for extra airline meals...

teknetic
04-17-09, 12:46 PM
My fondest Britton memory was when Torre asked for him to get sent down in favor of Sean Henn.

"That was a tough decision," manager Joe Torre said. "We just felt Sean Henn seems to be improving. He's probably closer to the long man that we want."

Britton had pitched in one game (3IP/1ER) and Henn was sporting an ERA near 7 in AAA.

ppa79
04-17-09, 12:54 PM

I think they are high on Robertson, but they want to increase the trade value for the other guys so they can get value for them.

smckdwn989
04-17-09, 01:16 PM
I think they are high on Robertson, but they want to increase the trade value for the other guys so they can get value for them.

so they call up miranda who will basically sit on the bench?

ppa79
04-17-09, 01:20 PM
so they call up miranda who will basically sit on the bench?

I don't think Miranda should be sitting on the bench if Matsui isn't available. This makes no sense to have Swisher at DH and Melky in RF. Swisher should be the RF and Miranda the DH, especially against a lefty.

b-ball-lunachick
05-27-09, 11:05 PM
I liked him last year and I thought he should have made the team out of ST this year.

I like seeing him come into a game -- at least he's going to throw strikes. For whatever reason, I don't get the feeling Girardi is a big fan of his, but I like him..nice job tonight. :)

27IsNext
05-27-09, 11:09 PM
Small sample size, but it's amazing what he's done when Joe's actually put him into a game.

Rocketbooster
05-27-09, 11:44 PM
GREAT job by Robertson cleaning up Veras' mess.........coming in against Hamilton? That's not easy, but the kid has moxy.

SLURPEE
05-27-09, 11:50 PM
I liked him last year and I thought he should have made the team out of ST this year.

I like seeing him come into a game -- at least he's going to throw strikes. For whatever reason, I don't get the feeling Girardi is a big fan of his, but I like him..nice job tonight. :)

Girardi better start being a fan. For the most part if you include last year he's pitched well.
If you have a reliever that pitches well he's going no where.

I get the same feeling you do that Girardi doesn't like him for whatever reason.
When he was last up he barely pitched. And like you said should have made the team out of ST.

Bottom line David Robertson has been more good then bad. And Girardi whether he likes him or not is going to have to deal with it.

False1
05-28-09, 12:49 AM

I like seeing him come into a game -- at least he's going to throw strikes. For whatever reason, I don't get the feeling Girardi is a big fan of his, but I like him..nice job tonight. :)I agree - Robertson was actually the one miss I had in the 8th Annual NYYFans.com Prediction Contest in terms of opening day rosters. He should have made the team out of spring training. He should definitely NOT be on the shuttle. This guy has legit stuff and tons of upside.

JeterRodriguezSheff
05-28-09, 01:42 AM
Its worth having Robertson and Melancon up. Yes they are both rookies, but if the pen is going to be inconsistent at best anyway, might as well have them learn, so they are seasoned for the future.

rmel76
05-28-09, 07:33 AM
I agree Girardi doesn't like him for whatever reason......Maybe because he throws strike and Joe likes Veras and Edwar to keep the game interesting....What a joke....He is 23 and shows some moxie...Give him some big situations Joe....He might work out

smckdwn989
05-28-09, 10:42 AM
i think joe will start going to him more and more.

delv
05-28-09, 10:49 AM
like he has a choice.

ajra21
05-28-09, 12:56 PM
robertson has never thrown in the mid 90s.

an interview with him last year when he was at triple A, mentioned that he can hit 93 but loses his control when he does so and that the pitch then flattens out. that said, during ST last year, i recall damon saying that his fastball had late life that made it feel a lot faster than 90-91.

jesterno2
05-30-09, 09:55 PM
he is a bad bad man.

im not one to question joe but gotta wonder why drob is in for mop up duty instead of tomko or veras...

JohnnyEllis
05-30-09, 09:58 PM
Stadium gun had him at 94 tonight on one pitch v. Peralta (91 on YES).

SLURPEE
05-30-09, 10:06 PM
he is a bad bad man.

im not one to question joe but gotta wonder why drob is in for mop up duty instead of tomko or veras...

Ha 8-3 is NOT "mop up duty". No you don't expect Cleveland to come back but managers don't think like us fans do.
It's not as if they're up 15 runs.

Now that its 10-3 now you take him out and put in Veras or Tomko.

Yankee Tripper
05-30-09, 10:08 PM
he is a bad bad man.

im not one to question joe but gotta wonder why drob is in for mop up duty instead of tomko or veras...Because if Veras or Tomko came in Mo might get a save?

D-rob succeedes and he'll move up the pecking order quickly. See Acevas, Alfredo. Sometimes he looks great other times not so much. Rooks need to earn time and he's working on it.

Rocketbooster
05-30-09, 10:22 PM
Because if Veras or Tomko came in Mo might get a save?

D-rob succeedes and he'll move up the pecking order quickly. See Acevas, Alfredo. Sometimes he looks great other times not so much. Rooks need to earn time and he's working on it.

I've missed most of the game - how'd he look? And right now Veras is making a blowout seem like not so much of one - why wasn't Robertson left in?

BrooklynBound
05-30-09, 10:22 PM
As of right now I'd take robertson over veras on any roster. Don't know if that's a given, just saying, he's not the one who should be most desperately fighting for a spot.

smckdwn989
05-30-09, 10:25 PM
now if the yankees can get melancon up here, we'll have a trio of good young pitchers in the pen (coke/robertson/melancon)

Yankee Fan in Boston
05-30-09, 10:26 PM
As of right now I'd take robertson over veras on any roster. Don't know if that's a given, just saying, he's not the one who should be most desperately fighting for a spot.

I think the Yankees are trying to give him every opportunity to show he can pitch b/c he would have to be DFA'd

smckdwn989
05-30-09, 10:29 PM
I think the Yankees are trying to give him every opportunity to show he can pitch b/c he would have to be DFA'd

it's all about the yankees not wanting to lose veras to another team. and then when/if he finds it, the team that claims him has a guy with exceptional stuff. let's not kid ourselves, if jose could command any part of the plate he would be a big time bullpen guy. but it's a huge if, and i am no longer advocating waiting.

Shanghai Bob
05-30-09, 10:37 PM
Another impressive outing by Robertson. Now if Coke can straighten himself out a bit, we've got three good BP arms (Aceves, Coke and Robertson) in addition to Mo.

....not to mention the possibility of having Bruney for the 8th if he can conquer his phantom injury.

DaYanks24
05-30-09, 10:38 PM
He's going to be a big part of the bullpen if given the opportunity.

Rocketbooster
05-30-09, 10:41 PM
it's all about the yankees not wanting to lose veras to another team. and then when/if he finds it, the team that claims him has a guy with exceptional stuff. let's not kid ourselves, if jose could command any part of the plate he would be a big time bullpen guy. but it's a huge if, and i am no longer advocating waiting.

If the Yankees love his stuff, why don't they fake an injury, DL him and work on his mechanics? The raw material is there.......work with it.

1936-1939JoeNLou
05-30-09, 10:42 PM
Hit 94 today.

That was great to see.

Rocketbooster
05-30-09, 10:43 PM
Another impressive outing by Robertson. Now if Coke can straighten himself out a bit, we've got three good BP arms (Aceves, Coke and Robertson) in addition to Mo.

....not to mention the possibility of having Bruney for the 8th if he can conquer his phantom injury.

Was it his velocity, FB command, curve? Sorry, lol - but I missed the game and I'm very curious to know. I guess D-Rob had it all working tonight?

Joe should not rush this kid into high-leverage situations. Let him get his feet wet and build up confidence...he's got the ability (but I want to see if he can maintain good control, which he's had problems with in the past)

smckdwn989
05-30-09, 10:44 PM
If the Yankees love his stuff, why don't they fake an injury, DL him and work on his mechanics? The raw material is there.......work with it.

the funny thing is i was wondering the same exact thing. they could rebuild his delivery, but i don't know if they will do it.

Shanghai Bob
05-30-09, 10:45 PM
Was it his velocity, FB command, curve? Sorry, lol - but I missed the game and I'm very curious to know. I guess D-Rob had it all working tonight?

Joe should not rush this kid into high-leverage situations. Let him get his feet wet and build up confidence...he's got the ability (but I want to see if he can maintain good control, which he's had problems with in the past)

Command and good curve. Not velocity (his FB maxes out at around 91-92). Very confident on the mound.

SLURPEE
05-30-09, 10:52 PM
I don't really think the Yankees need to make a trade. They have the internal options IMO to fix the pen.
They just need to be given opportunity.

The way Veras Edwar Albaladejo got all these great chances why not give Robertson and Melancon who have far better talent, the same opportunities?

I guarantee if given the numerous chances those 3 journeyman have been given, Robertson/Melancon would perform a lot better.

Rocketbooster
05-30-09, 10:53 PM
Command and good curve. Not velocity (his FB maxes out at around 91-92). Very confident on the mound.

Thanks........I love the confidence part the best. If D-Rob thinks he belongs here, that's half the battle. It really goes to show velocity is not the most important thing (not that 91-92 is anything to sneeze at). The curve is my favorite pitch, so I favor pitchers with a good one...........

ThePinStripes
05-30-09, 10:56 PM
good results, but I wasn't impressed. 92 mph fastball straight down the middle isn't going to work much longer.

R.V.47
05-30-09, 11:14 PM

That fastball is very straight also, I love the fact that he is one of the few guys in the pen who isnt afraid to challenge hitters, but a low 90s fastball with little movement is going to get hit at some point.

just-blaze
05-31-09, 12:36 AM
Hey David,

You'll never be as good as Veras. His great moving midnineties FB is a much better option than your little weak straight FB.

Just a reminder,

Just-Blaze

AcidLake
05-31-09, 12:38 AM
robertson's "fastball" is actually cutter

themgmt
05-31-09, 08:45 AM
Robertson's fastball sits at 92 but it has a little cut action. It's not straight. He hit 93 and touched 94. He could probably throw a true 4 seam fastball upwards of 95 mph.

He should be in the 6th/7th mix.

smckdwn989
05-31-09, 09:19 AM
Hey David,

You'll never be as good as Veras. His great moving midnineties FB is a much better option than your little weak straight FB.

Just a reminder,

Just-Blaze

yes, but at least david knows where the ball is going when he throws it

ajra21
05-31-09, 10:06 AM
his fastball may look straight but guys are missing it a lot. there is obviously something good about it. kay said the cleveland stadium gun hit 93.

JohnnyEllis
05-31-09, 06:12 PM
Looked like a nervous kid out there today. Probably because he was. Our depleted pen is the only reason why he was in that situation.

False1
05-31-09, 06:49 PM
That fastball is very straight also, I love the fact that he is one of the few guys in the pen who isnt afraid to challenge hitters, but a low 90s fastball with little movement is going to get hit at some point.All I've heard is that it has good late life to it. I've seen plenty of good hitters swing and miss. I'm concerned about his control, but I believe in his stuff.

ThePinStripes
05-31-09, 08:47 PM
Looked like a nervous kid out there today. Probably because he was. Our depleted pen is the only reason why he was in that situation.
Or Girardi. Wang could have easily gone another inning. Coke looked good. Aceves was available. I heard we have a decent 9th inning guy.

smckdwn989
05-31-09, 08:52 PM
Or Girardi. Wang could have easily gone another inning. Coke looked good. Aceves was available. I heard we have a decent 9th inning guy.

wang was starting to leave the ball up in his 3rd inning of work, granted he still could have pitched another inning... i think it's a decision that could go either way and joe shouldn't be killed for it.

Rastven
05-31-09, 09:00 PM
We just need pen guys to come out, throw strikes and not be afraid of contact. Robertson was pitching scared today it looked like.

fellows
05-31-09, 09:04 PM
You really can't count on rookies to contribute. Anything they give you should be considered a bonus.

SLURPEE
05-31-09, 09:04 PM
Pitch selection was ridiculous; five straight FBs in the same spot? :confused:

R.V.47
05-31-09, 09:07 PM

Coke looked good? He walked the lead off guy. If theres one thing you cannot do pitching in a tie game in bottom 9 or extras, its walk the lead off guy and he did it pretty easily. Wang may have been able to go another inning I would have had no problem with that. As for Aceves, yes he was available but with Joba going tomorrow he might be needed for 2 or 3 innings tomorrow, would rather save him for that.

just-blaze
05-31-09, 10:36 PM
yes, but at least david knows where the ball is going when he throws it

Why does that matter? 95+ FB's trump well located girly fastballs, regardless if the real fastball lead to a walk or XBH.

just-blaze
05-31-09, 10:40 PM
wang was starting to leave the ball up in his 3rd inning of work, granted he still could have pitched another inning... i think it's a decision that could go either way and joe shouldn't be killed for it.

Im not going to kill Joe for it, but Wang could have desposed of DeRosa, Cabrera, Francisco.

I think either Robertson should have started the inning or Coke should have finished it.

Rocketbooster
05-31-09, 11:11 PM
I like Robertson's talent, but he's going to have his ups and downs. People clamored for him and now they will have to be patient with his struggles......If they expected him to come up and be automatic, they were sorely mistaken.......

False1
06-01-09, 12:56 AM
Why does that matter? 95+ FB's trump well located girly fastballs, regardless if the real fastball lead to a walk or XBH.My sarcasm detector is having trouble with a few of your posts in this thread. If you're not being sarcastic, it might be worth updating you signature and including Robertson's 15.7 K/9 w/ SWB (12.5 w/ NYY this year and 12.9 in AA last year).

just-blaze
06-01-09, 01:12 AM
My sarcasm detector is having trouble with a few of your posts in this thread. If you're not being sarcastic, it might be worth updating you signature and including Robertson's 15.7 K/9 w/ SWB (12.5 w/ NYY this year and 12.9 in AA last year).

Well, the fact that I was defending Veras should be the first hint that your sarcasm detector is malfunctioning.:P

The sig only includes starters.

just-blaze
06-01-09, 01:13 AM
I like Robertson's talent, but he's going to have his ups and downs. People clamored for him and now they will have to be patient with his struggles......If they expected him to come up and be automatic, they were sorely mistaken.......

Seconded.

Same for Melancon.

burtons
06-01-09, 02:17 AM
players like him needs time..., you have to be patient...

Rocketbooster
06-01-09, 08:17 AM
Seconded.

Same for Melancon.

Yep........unfortunately, the expectations for Melancon are way out of whack. Maybe the expectations will be fulfilled in a year or so, but not now. All he is is another talented prospect that may or may not help us this year. The Yankees need help in the pen, they really do. The kids are going to be up and down, Coke is unreliable.......we've got Mo and Aceves right now......that's about it. It's remarkable just how many of the pitchers regressed - the worst case scenario happened with the pen and I don't know how it gets fixed. I do think Marte, as he'll be healthy upon his return, will help......and so will Bruney. Even with that, the pen isn't good......and I do want to see Aceves continue this good form before I even say that he is absolutely reliable.

Inswinger
06-01-09, 10:33 AM
If these guys get as many chances as Veras/Farnsworth/Edwar got then they will get better.

False1
06-01-09, 05:13 PM
Well, the fact that I was defending Veras should be the first hint that your sarcasm detector is malfunctioning.:P

The sig only includes starters.Point taken. Sarcasm algorithm updated.

parkerstrong
06-01-09, 09:54 PM
Part of the problem is the Joba effect....he came up and dominated right away....so some people might expect that with Robertson and Melancon which is unrealistic.

genius-24
06-04-09, 04:21 PM
Congrats on the first win!

rmel76
06-05-09, 08:56 AM
He has pitched well every stop of the way in the minors...As of today he has a 2.08 ERA...Once he gets better control he is going to be a good RP for the Yankees....Maybe better then Melancon

ajra21
06-06-09, 05:32 AM
from what i've seen, he throws a fastball and a curve. i would like him to have a third pitch. i haven't seen any change ups.

SLURPEE
06-06-09, 09:45 AM
from what i've seen, he throws a fastball and a curve. i would like him to have a third pitch. i haven't seen any change ups.

Doesn't seem like he's throwing his curve alot. It's been mainly FB. Even when it's 2 strikes.

SLURPEE
06-06-09, 09:47 AM
He has pitched well every stop of the way in the minors...As of today he has a 2.08 ERA...Once he gets better control he is going to be a good RP for the Yankees....Maybe better then Melancon

I don't think he'll be better then Melancon. Right now Melancon has better control/command.
And better overall stuff. His stuff translates more to a set up man.
But Robertson can make a good 6th/7th inning reliever.

ajra21
06-07-09, 04:45 AM
Part of the problem is the Joba effect....he came up and dominated right away....so some people might expect that with Robertson and Melancon which is unrealistic.

being unrealistic is the essence of being a yankee fan.

TheBamTino24
06-12-09, 09:26 PM
He deserve to move up in the pecking order.

Mark19
06-12-09, 09:26 PM
Throwing strikes can be a wonderful thing

I don't trust pitchers who don't trust their own stuff

Robertson is on my good list

YESSIR!
06-12-09, 09:27 PM
He deserve to move up in the pecking order.

Absolutely. D-Rob looking really good. A guy who actually attacks hitters...who'd a thunk it?

YESSIR!
06-12-09, 09:27 PM
Throwing strikes can be a wonderful thing

I don't trust pitchers who don't trust their own stuff

Robertson is on my good list

Right on.

Hellsing
06-12-09, 09:46 PM
Can we please give guys like D-Rob and Melancon chances to prove themselves in the majors before we trade prospects for a "proven" closer?

ppa79
06-12-09, 09:48 PM
Can we please give guys like D-Rob and Melancon chances to prove themselves in the majors before we trade prospects for a "proven" closer?

Thats not how this team operates. We would rather lose games pitching Veras or Tomko than give them a chance.

Rocketbooster
06-12-09, 09:59 PM

I'm waiting for Melancon to start pitching well again in AAA. Once he does that, I'm fine with bringing him up.............However, people should not expect him to be a savior and I really think they do think he'll be that.

teknetic
06-12-09, 10:02 PM
I'm waiting for Melancon to start pitching well again in AAA. Once he does that, I'm fine with bringing him up.............However, people should not expect him to be a savior and I really think they do think he'll be that.

Uhh..no they don't. This pen sucks, he had a dominant run in the minors, people thought he could help. Instead he got shoddy work in the majors, got sent down and has struggled somewhat. That's it.

ajra21
06-13-09, 06:33 AM
he looked good in his appearance last night. i wouldn't have brought him back out in the 7th but i understand why girardi did.

themgmt
06-13-09, 10:03 AM
Better than Tomko/Veras.

That's saying a lot.

27IsNext
06-14-09, 04:10 PM
I think we should keep pitching him in low-leverage situations. [/sarcasm]

smckdwn989
06-14-09, 04:13 PM
he's just getting an inning of work, with tomorrow an off day, it's not that big of a deal.

27IsNext
06-14-09, 04:26 PM
What I mean to say is, it's time we start trusting him with more high-leverage situations instead of mop-up duty.

diehardyankeefan
06-14-09, 04:29 PM
What I mean to say is, it's time we start trusting him with more high-leverage situations instead of mop-up duty.
Agreed

smckdwn989
06-14-09, 04:31 PM

fair point, and I agree. tuesday he should be a guy we go to in the 7th with bruney being the 8th inning guy. that would give this pen some stability that it really needs. coke is another guy that should get to pitch in the 7th/8th, couple that with mo and the pen might have a good foundation. still want to see melancon, but whatever.

rmel76
06-14-09, 04:42 PM
fair point, and I agree. tuesday he should be a guy we go to in the 7th with bruney being the 8th inning guy. that would give this pen some stability that it really needs. coke is another guy that should get to pitch in the 7th/8th, couple that with mo and the pen might have a good foundation. still want to see melancon, but whatever.

Totally agree D-Rob and Coke in the 7th with Bruney in the 8th with Aceves as the long man....Things should be getting better

just-blaze
06-14-09, 05:00 PM
Guy gets a ton of swings and misses for a guy with a "weak" fastball.

themgmt
06-14-09, 05:09 PM
His fastball is 91-94 now with a little cut. Not bad at all.

just-blaze
06-14-09, 05:11 PM

Always thought it was good enough, but its my understanding that if you don't throw mid nineties=not enough fastball.

Mark19
06-14-09, 05:12 PM
Kid has some talent, no doubt about it

27IsNext
06-14-09, 05:27 PM
Robertson went to my high school (graduated a year before me) and was the closer at Alabama for two years. The Tide's manager would constantly bring in a guy in the eighth inning to set him up that ROUTINELY loaded the bases with no outs. Robertson would then come in and proceed to get six-out saves on a regular basis. (I'm actually not exaggerating.)

When he took the Yankees' money I told my family that I wasn't surprised a bit, he probably got sick of playing for a mismanaged pitching staff.

ajra21
06-14-09, 06:01 PM

he rarely hits 94 but he does cut it to lefties. his hook is his best pitch. glad he's up. glad he's pitching well.

YESSIR!
06-14-09, 06:05 PM
I love how he locates the FB. The majority of the time the C doesn't even have to move the glove a speck.

False1
06-14-09, 06:43 PM
Guy gets a ton of swings and misses for a guy with a "weak" fastball.Probably because his fastball isn't weak. It's got plenty of velocity with some movement and he spots it very well. And his breaking ball keeps hitters honest and prevents them sitting dead red. Why do you think his fastball is weak?

YESSIR!
06-14-09, 06:50 PM
Probably because his fastball isn't weak. It's got plenty of velocity with some movement and he spots it very well. And his breaking ball keeps hitters honest and prevents them sitting dead red. Why do you think his fastball is weak?

I think he was being sarcastic about DRob's FB being "weak." I was actually impressed with the velocity today -- a lot of 93's which I can't remember seeing before from him. Totally agree with your assessment.

SLURPEE
06-14-09, 07:22 PM
If he's the one sent down when Bruney is activated I'm going to really start to question this organization.
Mainly Girardi cause I get the feeling for whatever reason he doesn't like Robertson.
But you don't send down one of the better effective relievers.

Get rid of Vears or send Tomko back down.

rmel76
06-14-09, 08:25 PM
If he's the one sent down when Bruney is activated I'm going to really start to question this organization.
Mainly Girardi cause I get the feeling for whatever reason he doesn't like Robertson.

I too believe Joe does not like D-Rob that much....but you can't ignore his stats. He and Coke are perfect for the 7th inning with Burney in the 8th. I think Tomko or Berroa will be gone

themgmt
06-14-09, 08:57 PM
I can't wait to find out who is sent down when Bruney is activated. If it's Robertson then I have no clue what they are thinking and have no hope of seeing Melancon up anytime soon. If they DFA Tomko or Veras, then I know the move towards getting the young kids pitching meaningful innings has begun.

rmel76
06-14-09, 09:27 PM
I can't wait to find out who is sent down when Bruney is activated. If it's Robertson then I have no clue what they are thinking and have no hope of seeing Melancon up anytime soon. If they DFA Tomko or Veras, then I know the move towards getting the young kids pitching meaningful innings has begun.

I have to think its Tomoko...He would clear waviers....If they send D-Rob down your right no Melancon this year and he and D-Rob could be trade bait. D-Rob has shown after a few outings at each level he can dominated...He has thrown harder this year (91-94) and has a killer curveball

BrooklynBound
06-14-09, 10:49 PM
I hope this kid doesn't get sent down when Bruney comes up. But from what I understand not many other pitchers have options.

roblyo33
06-14-09, 10:57 PM
I hope this kid doesn't get sent down when Bruney comes up. But from what I understand not many other pitchers have options.

DFA Berroa and keep an extra pitcher until Bruney proves he's healthy and effective.

False1
06-14-09, 11:26 PM
I too believe Joe does not like D-Rob that much....but you can't ignore his stats. He and Coke are perfect for the 7th inning with Burney in the 8th. I think Tomko or Berroa will be goneSeems like quite a few people here are addicted to Coke (pun intended). He came out of nowhere and was great last year and has shown some glimmers this year, but I'd hesitate to call him perfect for the 7th.

Zimmers' Helmet
06-15-09, 01:59 AM

Girardi should have given him that opportunity weeks ago.

JeffWeaverFan
06-15-09, 02:26 AM
He'd be my 7th inning guy when Bruney comes back and it's not close.

themgmt
06-15-09, 08:28 AM
Seems like quite a few people here are addicted to Coke (pun intended). He came out of nowhere and was great last year and has shown some glimmers this year, but I'd hesitate to call him perfect for the 7th.

Even with his early struggles, he has a 1.1 WHIP coming into mostly high leverage situations. He's also throwing harder than he was in April.

Should find out by tomorrow afternoon what direction the team is headed with the pen.

BRNXBMRS
06-15-09, 09:00 AM

Agreed, it would be nice if Robertson can see some late inning action against Washington this week if needed. He better be staying up here.

35Knucklecurve
06-15-09, 09:04 AM
I think he was being sarcastic about DRob's FB being "weak." I was actually impressed with the velocity today -- a lot of 93's which I can't remember seeing before from him. Totally agree with your assessment.
I was watching the game on TBS, so I was wondering how accurate their speed gun was. It seemed like I saw a lot of pitches in the 92-94 range, so I guess that it was pretty accurate. He looked pretty good out there, regardless of the fact that the game was essentially over at that point.

rmel76
06-15-09, 10:11 AM
I was watching the game on TBS, so I was wondering how accurate their speed gun was. It seemed like I saw a lot of pitches in the 92-94 range, so I guess that it was pretty accurate. He looked pretty good out there, regardless of the fact that the game was essentially over at that point.

According to George King in the Post, it looks like D-Rob will get sent down...If that happens what joke....You mean the Yanks have high regard to Tomoko and Veras

http://www.nypost.com/seven/06152009/sports/yankees/time_for_wang_to_produce_____or_else_174276.htm

Stache Fan
06-15-09, 10:16 AM
According to George King in the Post, it looks like D-Rob will get sent down...If that happens what joke....You mean the Yanks have high regard to Tomoko and Veras

http://www.nypost.com/seven/06152009/sports/yankees/time_for_wang_to_produce_____or_else_174276.htm

No way. Cashamn is an imbecile if Robertson is sent down......may I ask why, Brian?

Art Vanderlay
06-15-09, 10:19 AM

Sadly, I have to agree with this. I have watched Tomko get shelled his entire career. And Veras is not some young kid trying to find himself, he turns 29 later this year. Robertson has outperformed both of them. When Bruney comes back its an ideal opportunity to use Robertson in the 6th and 7th inning and perhaps by August you'll have a confident young pitcher you can use in high leverage spots in the 8th and 9th. If it is indeed Robertson being sent down, I would be very disappointed.

Yankee Fan in Boston
06-15-09, 10:21 AM
No way. Cashamn is an imbecile if Robertson is sent down......may I ask why, Brian?

It may happen, but from the phrasing it doesn't seem like King has any particular insights

THEBOSS84
06-15-09, 10:21 AM
It may happen, but from the phrasing it doesn't seem like King has any particular insights

What a shocker!

SLURPEE
06-15-09, 10:22 AM
The bright side is, it's the Post so they probably got it wrong.

Snatch Catch
06-15-09, 10:25 AM
The only issue I have with Robertson being counted on as a crucial cog is that to my eye, from following him on Gameday, it seems that if he's used on back to back nights the second night shows a moticeable velocity cap of around 91.

Night 1: 91-93, touching 94

Night 2: 89-91, not touching any higher.

I could be wrong, and all that aside I hope it's not him that gets sent down because he's still better than Veras right now, but I wonder if that plays any role in the decision.

JavyVazquezIsSick
06-15-09, 10:47 AM

This team is very poorly ran.

themgmt
06-15-09, 11:52 AM
I will give Cashman the Joe Girardi treatment if D-Rob gets sent down over DFAing a useless reliever like Tomko.

But you know what, no one should be surprised if that happens. Because it was Robertson that was optioned down when Tomko was called up..

I'm still mildly optimistic that Robertson will stay over Tomko.

CallOfTheCrow
06-15-09, 11:53 AM
Berroa will be sent to the BP & Cervelli will get sent down.

mbn007
06-15-09, 12:07 PM
I like Tomko, but let's be realistic. He has been around quite a while, and what exactly has he shown in his career?

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/T/Brett-Tomko.shtml

At least Robertson does not give up many hits per 9. And he Ks a lot of folks.

primetime714
06-15-09, 12:30 PM
I think the team needs to find a way to keep Robertson up. I know Veras has pitched better of late (last 5 innings 1 ER 0 BB) and Tomko has only really had one bad outing, but Robertson has been terrific for us.

Personally I'd DFA Berroa. Yea its nice to give ARod and Jeter the rest of the game off in a blowout, but Jeter is healthy he can finish games. Plus in AAA we have a guy like Russo and Ransom should be healthy again soon, so when there is room for an extra infielder we can always call up one of those guys. Plus its very unlikely Berroa gets claimed anyway so we could always give him another chance anyway.

Hellsing
06-15-09, 12:34 PM
This is team is all about under-performing and mediocrity in the BP.

God forbid you keep a young arm that is actually being productive in favor of a veteran who has consistently sucked his entire career.

Don Wrigley
06-15-09, 12:43 PM
Robertson has nothing to prove in the minors and a 2.25 ERA in the majors with a 13.5 K/9. Too many walks (who doesn't have too many walks on this staff? Sabathia/Rivera/Aceves ... that's it?) but Tomko has just as many with about 1/3rd the K's and 3 runs higher on the ERA. Not to mention almost 15 years on the age.

The fact that this isn't a no brainer is mind boggling.

primetime714
06-15-09, 01:00 PM
This is team is all about under-performing and mediocrity in the BP.

God forbid you keep a young arm that is actually being productive in favor of a veteran who has consistently sucked his entire career.

Yea its totally contradictory to how they're handling the Wang situation. Wang needs to perform this start to keep his spot in the rotation. Guys like Berroa, Veras, and Tomko have done very little to earn their roster spots yet we'll send Robertson down instead? Ridiculous.

If we're looking to win now sending Robertson down shouldn't be an option.

Yankee Tripper
06-15-09, 01:08 PM
I like Tomko, but let's be realistic. He has been around quite a while, and what exactly has he shown in his career?

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/T/Brett-Tomko.shtml

At least Robertson does not give up many hits per 9. And he Ks a lot of folks.

I do not like Tomko. He's garbage and the more opps Joe G gives him the sooner we'll have more outing resembling Friday's. Tomko must be DFA'd to make room for Bruney. If Bruney has a quick trip to the DL, just bring up Melancon, he can't be worst than Tomko right?

smckdwn989
06-15-09, 01:53 PM
someone might have to restrain me from kicking cashman in the balls if he sends down robertson.

JavyVazquezIsSick
06-15-09, 02:00 PM
There is really nothing about David Robertson that particuliarly excites me, but sending him down for Bruney would be very Yankee.

rmel76
06-15-09, 02:05 PM
I like the kid....he has performed at every level....Kind of reminds me of K-Rod with his build and stuff (Fastball and curve combo) If he is half as good i would be very happy

Yankee Tripper
06-15-09, 02:15 PM
There is really nothing about David Robertson that particuliarly excites me, but sending him down for Bruney would be very Yankee.
IDK - Anyone who can post a 13.5 K/9 at the MLB level exictes me. Sure it is a very small sample of just 12 IP and the 7 BB are troubling but the guy misses bats. Since his return he's been solid allowing just 1 R. This season he has only one outing where he allowed more than 1 H and that was his 1st outing of the season where he went 2 IP and gave up 2 H.

smckdwn989
06-15-09, 02:37 PM
if he could throw a edware ramirez type change, with his curve and fastball, i would see the krod comparison a little.

themgmt
06-15-09, 02:47 PM
He does throw a change up, not as often but he isn't afraid to use it.

Blazer
06-15-09, 03:00 PM
IDK - Anyone who can post a 13.5 K/9 at the MLB level exictes me. Sure it is a very small sample of just 12 IP and the 7 BB are troubling but the guy misses bats. Since his return he's been solid allowing just 1 R. This season he has only one outing where he allowed more than 1 H and that was his 1st outing of the season where he went 2 IP and gave up 2 H.

That K/9 is second best in MLB to Jonathan Broxton. It could easily be argued that Robertson has been our steadiest reliever since his recall in late May.

Going back to early May he's posted a 1.04 ERA and BAA of .107 in 11 appearances. What's the guy got to do to earn a spot?

themgmt
06-15-09, 03:05 PM
I wouldn't put too much stock in K/9 over 12 innings.

JeffWeaverFan
06-15-09, 03:05 PM
Jesus people need to calm down. All George King did was speculate that because Robertson has options and nobody else does he'll be sent down. He's basing that with absolutely no information besides a fact that everyone here already knew. Lets see what the actual Yankee move is before people get so upset about it.

Saying that, given the uncertainty with Bruney (injury-wise) it wouldn't shock me if they did send down Robertson as to not lose Tomko or Veras. I'd DFA Tomko myself.

ieddyi
06-15-09, 03:54 PM
if he could throw a edware ramirez type change, with his curve and fastball, i would see the krod comparison a little.

Krods change is a recent addition. He was very effective for a long time w/o it

Blazer
06-15-09, 03:56 PM

12 IP is SSS, but Robertson has missed bats throughout his pro career. Last year he K'ed 10.7 per 9 IP. His career MLB K/9 is 11.48 in 42.1 IP.

His K/9 numbers in AAA are amazing and he's never has lower than double digit K/9 for any season, pro or college.

I've seen very little of him on TV. How does he do it with a 90 MPH FB?

Yankee Tripper
06-15-09, 03:59 PM

It isn't just the 12 IP this year that has me excited about his ability to miss bats. In his 3 MiLB season his rate was 12.7/9 and his 42 MLB innings including last year it is 11.5/9.

I think it is clear he needs to improve the walk rate to be sucessful long term but the guy has some talent and potential which is something I can't really say about Tomko.

themgmt
06-15-09, 04:06 PM
I'm not knocking him, read my earlier posts in the thread. I'm just saying I wouldn't put too much stock in his k/9 over 12 innings in comparing it to others in the league.

Don_Veto
06-15-09, 04:08 PM
Let's face it. If Veras had options, he'd have been gone a month ago. But because we are "scared" of losing him, we have to accomodate his non-strike throwing ass and send down better pitchers. Robertson deserves to be up here and Melancon deserved a better fate at the ML level. Instead, the piss-poor roster management of this team is keeping us from maximizing the efficacy of our players.

Yankee Tripper
06-15-09, 04:15 PM
I'm not knocking him, read my earlier posts in the thread. I'm just saying I wouldn't put too much stock in his k/9 over 12 innings in comparing it to others in the league.
I agree with this and your other post.

Stache Fan
06-15-09, 04:16 PM
Let's face it. If Veras had options, he'd have been gone a month ago. But because we are "scared" of losing him, we have to accomodate his non-strike throwing ass and send down better pitchers. Robertson deserves to be up here and Melancon deserved a better fate at the ML level. Instead, the piss-poor roster management of this team is keeping us from maximizing the efficacy of our players.

Why risk releasing Veras, who actually has proven before he can be a valuable asset, and instead keep the useless Tomko? You already know what you're getting with him: complete garbage.

Yankee Fan in Boston
06-15-09, 04:34 PM
Why risk releasing Veras, who actually has proven before he can be a valuable asset, and instead keep the useless Tomko? You already know what you're getting with him: complete garbage.

I feel the same way. Besides, Tomko will most likely not get picked up and we can put him back in AAA

smckdwn989
06-15-09, 04:34 PM
Krods change is a recent addition. He was very effective for a long time w/o it

i'm more referring to the filthy movement that krod has on his change. krod lost a few ticks on his FB, but his changeup is so deadly that it nutralizes everything. if D-rob had a changeup with that movement/command, then i could see a krod/drob comparison.... but he doesn't, so there is no comparison.

Blazer
06-15-09, 04:42 PM

I didn't think you were. I was just expanding on the idea that DR is a guy who K's a lot of hitters.

Does his FB really have that much movement?

Yankee Tripper
06-15-09, 04:55 PM
i'm more referring to the filthy movement that krod has on his change. krod lost a few ticks on his FB, but his changeup is so deadly that it nutralizes everything. if D-rob had a changeup with that movement/command, then i could see a krod/drob comparison.... but he doesn't, so there is no comparison.

I would think Tom Gordon, especially in his later years, with the FB and power curve as his two primary pitches might be a better comp.

rmel76
06-15-09, 08:14 PM
Maybe D-Rob is saved....according to Cash, who praised him

http://bats.blogs.nytimes.com/

themgmt
06-15-09, 08:42 PM
“Coke has been pitching well, Aceves has done an outstanding job, Robertson’s been nothing short of fantastic, and Hughes has made a nice adjustment to the bullpen for a period of time,” General Manager Brian Cashman said today. “We’ve had to move some pieces around to shore it up, and we’ll continue to do so.”

No mention of Tomko or Veras, one of them is probably gone. Sounds like he made it a point to mention Hughes is only in the bullpen temporarily as well.

Rocketbooster
06-15-09, 09:26 PM
No mention of Tomko or Veras, one of them is probably gone. Sounds like he made it a point to mention Hughes is only in the bullpen temporarily as well.

If it wasn't temporary, then I would just throw up my hands. Cash said as much anyway when he was on with Kay the day Wang was moved back into the rotation.....glad to see Cash thinks Phil has done a "nice" job.

themgmt
06-15-09, 09:49 PM
Yeah I know, but my point was that he made sure he stuck that in there. So the HTTP crew can't get any steam.

Rocketbooster
06-15-09, 10:44 PM
Yeah I know, but my point was that he made sure he stuck that in there. So the HTTP crew can't get any steam.

LOL - as long as Francesca doesn't get rolling, we should be ok. He's still stuck on JTTP, so Phil is safe.

ajra21
06-16-09, 07:55 AM
from the new york times:

Could it be that the Yankees have a better bullpen than we think?

Brian Bruney comes off the disabled list on Tuesday, and while Francisco Rodriguez may not know much about him, he’s got a very good arm. And lately, Alfredo Aceves, Phil Coke, Phil Hughes and Dave Robertson have been quite effective, too.

We’re halfway through June, and this is what Aceves, Coke, Hughes and Robertson have done this month: in 23 innings, they have combined to allow 16 hits, nine walks and just five earned runs, with 26 strikeouts.

That’s a 1.96 E.R.A. spread across four setup men, with Bruney now added to the mix.

“Coke has been pitching well, Aceves has done an outstanding job, Robertson’s been nothing short of fantastic, and Hughes has made a nice adjustment to the bullpen for a period of time,” General Manager Brian Cashman said today. “We’ve had to move some pieces around to shore it up, and we’ll continue to do so.”

Jose Veras or Brett Tomko might be dropped to make room for Bruney, and don’t be surprised if Mark Melancon or even Sergio Mitre, who has an excellent sinker, make an impact later this season. There is also the obvious possibility of a trade, and with the bullpen pitching well, Cashman would have more leverage in talks.

Mariano Rivera is the anchor of the bullpen, of course, and he has been mortal at times. But he still has more strikeouts than innings, and 10.67 whiffs for every walk. His stuff is still very good.

The problem for the bullpen, at the moment, is the rotation. The Yankees need their starters to go deeper in games, or they risk wearing out the relievers. C.C. Sabathia faces against the Nationals on Tuesday, so that’s a good place to start.

http://bats.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/06/15/quietly-yanks-bullpen-is-coming-together/

i have never really expected us to make a trade for pitching (relief or rotation) this year. even with some of our guys faltering. they will come right and i believe our 'pen will be decent.

Yankee Fan in Boston
06-16-09, 10:14 AM
from the new york times:

http://bats.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/06/15/quietly-yanks-bullpen-is-coming-together/

i have never really expected us to make a trade for pitching (relief or rotation) this year. even with some of our guys faltering. they will come right and i believe our 'pen will be decent.

The fact that Cashman is talking about how good the pen is makes me think he is going to try and make a trade

THEBOSS84
06-16-09, 10:17 AM
After those comments by Cash, I don't see any way he sends Robertson down to make room for Bruney.

NelsonMuntz
06-16-09, 10:17 AM
The fact that Cashman is talking about how good the pen is makes me think he is going to try and make a trade
I hope you're right. We need at least one more solid arm to bridge the gap to Mo.

BRNXBMRS
06-16-09, 12:13 PM
ANy news on Robertson yet, I just got into work?

themgmt
06-16-09, 12:17 PM
Probably within the next 2-3 hours..

ajra21
06-17-09, 07:33 AM
well he's stayed. easily the right choice, although i'd probably of got rid of tomko over veras. that said, tomko can give us multiple inning more often than veras can.

Rocketbooster
06-21-09, 07:54 PM
Robertson is not reliable because hes a kid I like his talent and I think he can be succesful. However, its going to take time hes going to have his growing pains.

themgmt
06-21-09, 07:58 PM
Giving up a hit is not "growing pains"

It's baseball.

False1
06-22-09, 01:34 AM
Robertson is not reliable because hes a kid I like his talent and I think he can be succesful. However, its going to take time hes going to have his growing pains.Not reliable? He's been very good in his limited action. What does being a kid have to do with it? Joba was sick out of the pen 3 years younger than Robertson is now. I don't get why you're saying he's not relaible, and I don't get what that would have to do with him being a kid if it were true.

JeterHughesJoba
06-22-09, 01:39 AM
Despite giving up the hit, Robertson is a promising young reliever who's done pretty well this year. His numbers, especially his strikeout totals are very impressive.

He's got a good fastball with some bite on it along with a nasty curve. Robertson is someone who needs more innings.

Robertson definitely needs to get the ball before Tomko in 2 run games.

Rocketbooster
06-22-09, 08:16 AM
Not reliable? He's been very good in his limited action. What does being a kid have to do with it? Joba was sick out of the pen 3 years younger than Robertson is now. I don't get why you're saying he's not relaible, and I don't get what that would have to do with him being a kid if it were true.

I don't trust him in a big spot - I hardly think he's had enough appearances for me to determine that he's lock down. He gave up a walk, a hit and a run yesterday - is that a good performance? Kids/rookies are going to have their ups and downs, that's exactly why they are not reliable. Joba in 2007 was special - Robertson is not Joba. I didn't say I didn't like him - by the way, I don't think Coke is reliable either. He's way too up and down for me - I might trust Robertson over him.

Vin R.
06-22-09, 11:27 AM
I hope you're right. We need at least one more solid arm to bridge the gap to Mo.
Huston Street anyone?

JeterHughesJoba
06-22-09, 11:36 AM
I don't trust him in a big spot - I hardly think he's had enough appearances for me to determine that he's lock down. He gave up a walk, a hit and a run yesterday - is that a good performance? Kids/rookies are going to have their ups and downs, that's exactly why they are not reliable. Joba in 2007 was special - Robertson is not Joba. I didn't say I didn't like him - by the way, I don't think Coke is reliable either. He's way too up and down for me - I might trust Robertson over him.

Do you trust Robertson over Tomko?

Apparently Girardi doesn't!

MTYankee23
06-22-09, 11:56 AM
Despite giving up the hit, Robertson is a promising young reliever who's done pretty well this year. His numbers, especially his strikeout totals are very impressive.

He's got a good fastball with some bite on it along with a nasty curve. Robertson is someone who needs more innings.

Robertson definitely needs to get the ball before Tomko in 2 run games.

This is exactly right. He gave up a single. I'm not sure why people seem to overreact about pitcher's who allow singles. Generally my concern with Robertson is that he allows too many walks. But he strikes out a lot of guys, and let's up very few extra base hits. Yesterday was hardly on Coke and Robertson at all. 2 singles and a walk to a premier hitter can happen. Allowing two mammoth home runs in a ball park that generally supresses power should not be allowed to happen.

Of course this is as much on Cashman as it is on Girardi. If Melancon was up in Tomko's place, he wouldn't have been available to blow yesterday's game.

NelsonMuntz
06-22-09, 06:24 PM
This is exactly right. He gave up a single. I'm not sure why people seem to overreact about pitcher's who allow singles. Generally my concern with Robertson is that he allows too many walks. But he strikes out a lot of guys, and let's up very few extra base hits. Yesterday was hardly on Coke and Robertson at all. 2 singles and a walk to a premier hitter can happen. Allowing two mammoth home runs in a ball park that generally supresses power should not be allowed to happen.

Of course this is as much on Cashman as it is on Girardi. If Melancon was up in Tomko's place, he wouldn't have been available to blow yesterday's game.
Agree on all points.

False1
06-23-09, 12:43 AM
I don't trust him in a big spot - I hardly think he's had enough appearances for me to determine that he's lock down. He gave up a walk, a hit and a run yesterday - is that a good performance? Kids/rookies are going to have their ups and downs, that's exactly why they are not reliable. Joba in 2007 was special - Robertson is not Joba. I didn't say I didn't like him - by the way, I don't think Coke is reliable either. He's way too up and down for me - I might trust Robertson over him.All we have to go off of is SSS at this level, but it's unfair to take any reliever and look at one appearance. He's hardly the first receiver to give up a walk, a hit and a run in an appearance. You failed to mention the 4 K's in 1.2 IP. In both the minors and MLB his H/9 and K/9 are ridiculously good. His BB/9 are concerning but behind if he's the third 1 inning optin behind Mo and Bruney I feel pretty good about that. He may even be the fourth option if Hughe is going to continue as a 7th or 8th inning guy for the time being. I know everyone is down on the pen, but I actually feel pretty good about it as I look towards the 2nd half.

continentalg5
06-23-09, 03:55 AM
Huston Street anyone?

The way the Rockies have turned it around, I doubt Street will be on the block, unless they collapse again...

Rocketbooster
06-23-09, 08:29 AM
All we have to go off of is SSS at this level, but it's unfair to take any reliever and look at one appearance. He's hardly the first receiver to give up a walk, a hit and a run in an appearance. You failed to mention the 4 K's in 1.2 IP. In both the minors and MLB his H/9 and K/9 are ridiculously good. His BB/9 are concerning but behind if he's the third 1 inning optin behind Mo and Bruney I feel pretty good about that. He may even be the fourth option if Hughe is going to continue as a 7th or 8th inning guy for the time being. I know everyone is down on the pen, but I actually feel pretty good about it as I look towards the 2nd half.

Ok, that's fair. I do really like Robertson - just not ready to say he's lock down. The walks are concerning, though it's nice that he's got swing and miss stuff. I do think the walks will prevent Robertson from becoming a good late-inning go-to guy - for the forseeable future, he's got to pitch 6th and maybe 7th innings.

We'll see about the pen.You know how I feel about Phil, but he's going to have his bumps in the road - can he come back one night after blowing a game and get right back on the horse? He's still something of an uknown......

Bruney I think will be good if he can stay healthy....I'm stilll unsure how good Mo will be as he's still been up and down. I'm not that high on the pen.......

ajra21
06-23-09, 04:29 PM
The way the Rockies have turned it around, I doubt Street will be on the block, unless they collapse again...

why are we considering trading for arms?

kongull
06-25-09, 10:51 PM
he has very poor fastball command.

bomber999
06-25-09, 10:53 PM
He has good stuff and much potential. Not quite there yet.

JavyVazquezIsSick
06-25-09, 10:55 PM
As Ive said before there is absolutely nothing about this kid that particularly excites me.

Blazer
06-25-09, 11:10 PM
had a rough night against lefties

Hellsing
06-25-09, 11:17 PM
I like his smile.

junkman73
06-26-09, 08:33 AM
he just needs his work at the major league level. let him get innings under his belt. Live fastball and a good hook. he can be a productive middle reliever.

NYDCYankee
06-26-09, 08:36 AM
Brian McCann sure has him figured out.

delv
06-26-09, 10:02 AM
Brian McCann sure has him figured out.

yeah, wow... the second I saw McCann's bat come off his shoulders, that was a homerun.

I still have confidence in the kid. The best is when your relievers have their off days on those days that it doesn't matter.

NelsonMuntz
06-26-09, 10:05 AM
he just needs his work at the major league level. let him get innings under his belt. Live fastball and a good hook. he can be a productive middle reliever.
Exactly. He's not a closer or primary set up guy, but he can be a productive middle reliever.

BRNXBMRS
06-26-09, 10:25 AM
overworked? I hope Joe doesnt lose faith in him.

YESSIR!
06-26-09, 10:28 AM
As Ive said before there is absolutely nothing about this kid that particularly excites me.

Really? 14.3 K/9 doesn't excite you even a little? He's obviously got somes things to work on, most notably is control, but I think D-Rob has the potential to be a solid bullpen piece.

False1
06-26-09, 11:08 AM
Really? 14.3 K/9 doesn't excite you even a little? He's obviously got somes things to work on, most notably is control, but I think D-Rob has the potential to be a solid bullpen piece.If he can get that BB rate down, the K/9 and H/9 rates are pretty exciting.

w/ Yanks: 47IP, 12.0 K/9, 7.9 H/9
Minors: 153 IP, 12.7 K/9, 4.9 H/9

I think he's got real good stuff for a middle reliever. Obviously needs to cut down on the free passes.

JavyVazquezIsSick
06-26-09, 11:17 AM
Really? 14.3 K/9 doesn't excite you even a little? He's obviously got somes things to work on, most notably is control, but I think D-Rob has the potential to be a solid bullpen piece.

No, I'm not particularly impressed with his stuff. In addition, any relief pitcher and awful control is a bad combination. Middle relief for me, nothing more.

parkerstrong
06-27-09, 09:00 AM
No, I'm not particularly impressed with his stuff. In addition, any relief pitcher and awful control is a bad combination. Middle relief for me, nothing more.

I don't think anyone was hoping for D-Rob to be anything else besides middle relief....

He has a nasty curveball and has good stuff. If he cut downs on the walks, he could be dominate. He is an important part to the bullpen.

Stanesq
06-27-09, 09:37 PM
I like his smile.

I dont think helps him pitch better however.

Stanesq
06-27-09, 09:38 PM
I don't think anyone was hoping for D-Rob to be anything else besides middle relief....

He has a nasty curveball and has good stuff. If he cut downs on the walks, he could be dominate. He is an important part to the bullpen.

Look at his minor league #s, he will be a great player for years to come.

themgmt
06-27-09, 09:53 PM
Great? I don't think so. He will be good in the 5th/6th or with a 3 run lead. He isn't the high leverage guy but you don't need him to be.

bomber999
06-27-09, 09:54 PM

Minor league numbers don't always translate to major league numbers. I'm not saying he won't be good, but I don't think simply having good minor league numbers is a reliable predictor of ML performance.

hellonewman
06-27-09, 10:00 PM
Good bounceback outing.

mr.roy
06-27-09, 10:06 PM
Good bounceback outing.

Indeed.

nnysiny
06-27-09, 10:41 PM
Minor league numbers don't always translate to major league numbers. I'm not saying he won't be good, but I don't think simply having good minor league numbers is a reliable predictor of ML performance.
his H/9 and K/9 have translated over so far, and those are the two biggest measures of dominance. as long as he shows command, he will be a very good reliever

False1
06-27-09, 11:09 PM
Minor league numbers don't always translate to major league numbers. I'm not saying he won't be good, but I don't think simply having good minor league numbers is a reliable predictor of ML performance.Dominant minor league numbers, combined with very impressive major league numbers, married up with good stuff...

His peripherals are pretty much flat from his time in the minors and in the majors. Very high K/9, very good H/9, poor BB/9. If he can get the BB/9 down, he'll be a very good bullpen peice.

teknetic
06-27-09, 11:20 PM
91-93 with a hammer curve, doesn't give up homers, K's a ton and doesn't give up all too many hits.

Aside from the walks (which may or may not come with time) he's a solid reliever. Having high standards is great.

parkerstrong
06-28-09, 07:46 AM

So you are hoping for something more than middle relief? Wow....people jump to whatever conclusions they want to see....

Yankee Steve
06-28-09, 08:36 AM
Whenever I see him pitch, he never seems to be able to get his curve over. Either he comes up with another pitch (change-up?) or they will sit on his FB, which is pretty straight.

themgmt
06-28-09, 08:43 AM
He has a changeup and throws a cut fastball. His curveball is very good.

smckdwn989
06-28-09, 10:22 AM
He has a changeup and throws a cut fastball. His curveball is very good.

pretty sure his fastball is a 4 seamer with natural cut... :). I'm just happy it didn't take Joe all year to realize that Robertson shouldn't get the Chris Britton treatment. One more bullpen move (+melancon -tomko) and I really think the bullpen becomes a yankees strength again...

themgmt
06-28-09, 10:27 AM
A cut fastball is thrown on 4 seams.... but I understand what you're saying. It's not a Rivera-like cutter

smckdwn989
06-28-09, 10:31 AM
A cut fastball is thrown on 4 seams....

the same basic grip but you rotate middle and index fingers (and thumb a little i think) in order to throw it. You also have to snap the wrist down when you throw it. Everything I have read said his fastball isn't a natural cutter. But whatever, either way it has a little cut to it.

themgmt
06-28-09, 10:32 AM
I think Mo throws his on two seams though if I remember correctly. I saw it in the Demonstration to Halladay.

smckdwn989
06-28-09, 10:34 AM
I think Mo throws his on two seams though if I remember correctly.

really? is that why his cutter is that much better than the rest? why wouldn't more people learn that pitch? And if that's true, it makes what mo does unbelievable. He's still able to get 94mph....

themgmt
06-28-09, 10:37 AM
I don't know how he does what he does and I won't question it in fear of spontaneously combusting. I'm just thinking back to the all-star game last year. It looked like he was showing it on 2 seams but I could be wrong. I'm sure the correct information is out there on the interwebs somewhere

themgmt
06-28-09, 10:47 AM
Nope, here's an image of him throwing it on 4 seams

http://blog.silive.com/sportsspotlight/MarianoRivera.jpg

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa173/xvue84/pitching/riveracutterhalladay2.jpg

That looks like he is showing it on 4 seams, but I'm almost certain he showed it to him on two seams as well. But he throws on 4

smckdwn989
06-28-09, 12:48 PM
Nope, here's an image of him throwing it on 4 seams

http://blog.silive.com/sportsspotlight/MarianoRivera.jpg

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa173/xvue84/pitching/riveracutterhalladay2.jpg

That looks like he is showing it on 4 seams, but I'm almost certain he showed it to him on two seams as well. But he throws on 4

well mo does throw a 2 seamer, rarely. It's something he broke out give hitters another look. although this year, he pretty much has been throwing all cutters

Bronson'sCornrows
06-28-09, 12:56 PM
really? is that why his cutter is that much better than the rest? why wouldn't more people learn that pitch? And if that's true, it makes what mo does unbelievable. He's still able to get 94mph....
Most people throw their cutters with a two seam grip. I always like the idea of going back and forth; movement is about the same, but the batter can't rely on the seams identifying the fastball type. Some guys also do the same thing for a circle-change. I'm pretty sure Rivera does the same thing; 2-seam cutters, 4-seam cutters, and standard 4-seam fastball.

Rivera can throw a cutter basically anyway he wants. Look at the length of his ................ing fingers; he has Deinonychus hands.

themgmt
06-28-09, 01:00 PM
Most people throw their cutters with a two seam grip. I always like the idea of going back and forth; movement is about the same, but the batter can't rely on the seams identifying the fastball type. Some guys also do the same thing for a circle-change. I'm pretty sure Rivera does the same thing; 2-seam cutters, 4-seam cutters, and standard 4-seam fastball.

Rivera can throw a cutter basically anyway he wants. Look at the length of his ................ing fingers; he has Deinonychus hands.

Maybe... does anyone have that video of him with Halladay? I'm almost positive I saw him showing the two seam version at some point and rotating the grip. Even in that picture it looks like he's about to turn it. But yeah I won't begin to try to wrap my mortal mind around Mo.

ajra21
06-28-09, 02:56 PM
mo used to throw a four seam. a couple of years agao, he started throwing a two seam.

as for robertson, he's doing well. i'm a little concerned that as hitters see his fastball more, they'll stop missing it, but only time will tell.

Mark19
07-09-09, 02:46 PM
Really a gutless performance, if he is going to act so immature, he needs more time in AAA

CallOfTheCrow
07-09-09, 02:47 PM
Yeah his performance was miserable but what do you mean by act immature?

Mark19
07-09-09, 02:49 PM
Yeah his performance was miserable but what do you mean by act immature?

Deteriorate into a spineless child and refuse to throw strikes. If he doesn't have the nerves to deal with the bases loaded in July in Minnesota, he certainly cannot be trusted in August or September against Boston or Tampa.

AnA-bombforA-rod
07-09-09, 02:49 PM
Terrible outing. Walking Span and Tolbert and getting behind 3-1 on Punto? Give me someone who will come in and throw strikes. I know he has a good K/9, but the walks are awful.