PDA

View Full Version : The 2009 Dave Robertson Performance Thread

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4

pleasepassthesoup
09-03-09, 10:19 PM
Because lots of people only focus on his weakness - walk.

What's interesting is that, since the all-star break, that hasn't even been a weakness.

17.1 Innings, 5 walks, 26 strikeouts,

dabomb2045
09-03-09, 10:21 PM
People talk about his walks....he's really improved in that area as of late. The walk rate has dropped in a big way.

teknetic
09-03-09, 10:22 PM
WHIP at about 1.4. If he can get it down to 1.2 he'll be wrecking house.

Funny you say this, because Edwar put up a similar line last year.

3.90 ERA, 10K/9, 2.7BB/9, 1.2 WHIP

The ERA took a hit due to his 59.40 ERA against Anaheim :scared:

I hope he gets another shot, we could have a couple of guys with the ability to strike out guys at will.

CJTaKoZ26
09-03-09, 10:50 PM
Anyone else have a giant man crush on Robertson? He's been robotic lately -- much like Mariano. (Not saying they're on the same planet in terms of ability though.) He just comes in, paints the corners with 94, then drops the 12-6 in or blows it past em. And he's not even one of the top relievers in the bullpen.

leutbneot
09-04-09, 05:35 AM
Anyone else have a giant man crush on Robertson? He's been robotic lately -- much like Mariano. (Not saying they're on the same planet in terms of ability though.) He just comes in, paints the corners with 94, then drops the 12-6 in or blows it past em. And he's not even one of the top relievers in the bullpen.

I would disagree with your statement about dRob not being "one of the top relievers in the bullpen"... Mo, Hughes, maybe Ace are above him in the depth chart. Who else? Marte could climb the ladder but he's been injured all year. Ditto Bruney. Coke and Melancon are both good but I don't know if they rank above dRob. If you need a K in the worst way and Hughes isn't available, dRob is the man with the plan. He has been almost automatic with the strikeouts post-ASB, even (especially?) in high-leverage situations.

TheGameEpisode2
09-04-09, 01:53 PM
The much-heralded Daniel Bard of the Red Sox:

38 appearances, 42.1 innings, 33 hits, 16 earned runs, 18 walks, 56 strikeouts, 4 home runs. Very impressive for the 24-year-old.

Then we have this 24-year-old player:

41 appearances, 40 innings, 34 hits, 15 earned runs, 21 walks, 60 strikeouts, 4 home runs.

Who might that be? Do not sleep on Dave Robertson, folks.

--Peter Abe.

teknetic
09-04-09, 01:58 PM
The one big thing about him other than the K's is that he doen't serve up homers.

He allowed ONE in his entire minor league career (152 innings) and has 7 in 70 in the bigs, but that should go down as he settles in.

ajra21
09-05-09, 05:53 AM
40 IP, 60 SO

Incredible.

And despite the fact he's walked people at a good clip, his K/BB ratio is still almost 3:1 (21 BB)

WHIP at about 1.4. If he can get it down to 1.2 he'll be wrecking house.

i suspect he'll never get it down below 1.3 however, i'm not complaining. he's done pretty much what i expected this year.

CallOfTheCrow
09-08-09, 04:10 PM
UPDATE, 4:47 p.m.: Dave Robertson (elbow) has been shut down and is going to see Dr. James Andrews. He’s been pitching with “tightness” for about 10 days now.

JavyVazquezIsSick
09-08-09, 04:13 PM
He's been pitching for 10 days with elbow tightness? Brilliance.

AnA-bombforA-rod
09-08-09, 04:19 PM

Doesn't make sense. We have had such a huge lead in the division, they couldn't shut him down for a couple weeks? My god.

ThePinStripes
09-08-09, 04:24 PM

Compared to Wang's "don't do squat till spring training" rehab, that's not a sarcastic statement.

teknetic
09-08-09, 04:36 PM
The better the player, the worse they handle the injury.

Rocketbooster
09-08-09, 04:41 PM
Very bad news -usually a team would prescribe rest, wouldnt they, as a first option? Why send him to Dr. Andrews if they didn't think it was serious?

If Robertson didn't say anything, then he's a dummy; if he did and the Yankees still pitched him, then that's utterly disgraceful.

teknetic
09-08-09, 04:44 PM
Going to Andrews doesn't mean it's serious.

Yankee Steve
09-08-09, 04:45 PM
Knowing how the Yanks "baby" their injured player, I would seriously doubt that Robertson made the injury known and the Yanks ignored him. More likely, the kid said nothing in the hope that it would just "go away" and he would be able to help down the stretch and into October. I am sure he feels awful right now. Seeing Andrews immediately is perfectly understandable, given the time of year. Get him looked at immediately rather than messing around and wasting time, with the hope that if he rests NOW, he might be available in October.

Jace
09-08-09, 04:55 PM
everyone on this site is such a genius, we correctly analyze a situation and can immediately level harsh judgement based off of 1 sentence fragment

roblyo33
09-08-09, 05:07 PM
everyone on this site is such a genius, we correctly analyze a situation and can immediately level harsh judgement based off of 1 sentence fragment

This, from the same people who think Pete Abe is a dolt. This site amuses me sometimes.

justtxyank
09-08-09, 05:13 PM
This team loves to "chance it" when it comes to injuries.

Oh your elbow is hurting? Eh, shake it off, let's just see what happens.

10 days later...

Going to see Dr. Andrews.

JeterRodriguezSheff
09-08-09, 05:14 PM
Why was he pitching with pain with such a big lead? Whether it was him or the Yankees, somebody screwed up here.

I just hope it is not serious.

b_joseph
09-08-09, 05:14 PM
Dont know what is worse:

Robertson keeping it to himself or Robertson telling the team and the team still using him.

Either way, its a concern because he was becoming reliable.

JeterRodriguezSheff
09-08-09, 05:17 PM
I hope it was Robertson keeping it to himself. At least you can understand a young pitcher trying to do too much and pitch through the pain to prove himself.

If the Yankees knew about it, there is no excuse for them letting him pitch.

AnA-bombforA-rod
09-08-09, 05:22 PM
I just hope it's nothing serious. Remember Marte also went to Dr. Andrews earlier this year, (even though it was a different injury) and nothing was wrong with Damaso.

teknetic
09-08-09, 05:24 PM
This, from the same people who think Pete Abe is a dolt. This site amuses me sometimes.

Abe reports he pitched 10 days with tightness in his elbow, what the hell kind of response were you expecting?

jeterismyhomeboy
09-08-09, 05:29 PM
This is a team that has shut down many players with minor injuries. They've got the whole 40 man roster to play with. Why in the world would they let Robertson pitch when they've got a massive lead going down the stretch?

I bet he hid it. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

AnA-bombforA-rod
09-08-09, 05:31 PM
This is a team that has shut down many players with minor injuries. They've got the whole 40 man roster to play with. Why in the world would they let Robertson pitch when they've got a massive lead going down the stretch?

I bet he hid it. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

I'd agree with you on that. The Yankees aren't that stupid where they would let a guy pitch with elbow tightness with such a big lead in the division.

ArodEra
09-08-09, 05:32 PM
I love the progress Robertson was making on the mound. Here's hoping there's nothing seriously wrong.

Stache Fan
09-08-09, 05:42 PM
no more Bruney. Please, don't let it be so.

R.V.47
09-08-09, 05:45 PM
Tough break, he wouldve definitly been valuble in the playoffs.

JeffWeaverFan
09-08-09, 05:46 PM
Tough break, he wouldve definitly been valuble in the playoffs.
Still could be. Doesn't sound serious.

Yankee Steve
09-08-09, 05:48 PM
This team loves to "chance it" when it comes to injuries.

Oh your elbow is hurting? Eh, shake it off, let's just see what happens.

10 days later...

Going to see Dr. Andrews.
What??? Loves to "chance it"? You can't be serious. This team is the most careful with guys that are hurting in the league. They always rest guys beyond what is expected. I would like to know what you base that statement on?

R.V.47
09-08-09, 05:50 PM

3 worst words in sports

Doctor James Andrews

cupcollector99
09-08-09, 05:50 PM

Dr Andrews is a busy man, they wouldn't send anyone to him if it didn't have the potential for serious.

Managing injuries has been this team's most concerning problem and I hope they figure out how to be more efficient in this area moving forward.

R.V.47
09-08-09, 05:52 PM
Abe reports he pitched 10 days with tightness in his elbow, what the hell kind of response were you expecting?

Can we at least get a response from the team before they are grilled for this? We dont know to what degree "tightness" means, we dont know if he was hiding anything, we dont know what Cashman and Girardi knew yet. He pitched a few nights ago and was striking guys out and throwing harder than he was 4 months ago. So lets wait and see before all hell breaks loose.

CallOfTheCrow
09-08-09, 05:52 PM

It might be. It might not be.

I don't see how you can say it definitively based on the little information we have.

teknetic
09-08-09, 05:55 PM
Can we at least get a response from the team before they are grilled for this? We dont know to what degree "tightness" means, we dont know if he was hiding anything, we dont know what Cashman and Girardi knew yet. He pitched a few nights ago and was striking guys out and throwing harder than he was 4 months ago. So lets wait and see before all hell breaks loose.

You're the one saying he "could have been valuable in the playoffs"

JeffWeaverFan
09-08-09, 05:58 PM
3 worst words in sports

Doctor James Andrews
No reason to not send him to the best to make sure. Obviously I wouldn't be surprised if I hear he's going to need TJ Surgery, but at the very Robertson doesn't sound concerned which is a plus.

R.V.47
09-08-09, 06:04 PM
You're the one saying he "could have been valuable in the playoffs"

Dont get me wrong Im expecting to hear hes done at least for this season and thats a tough break. But Im not ready to bash Girardi or Cashman for their handling of this until we get more information. One thing has nothing to do with the other.

BronxYanks45
09-08-09, 06:26 PM
well I guess Mitre and Gaudin will be making the playoff roster after all

this is not good, hope its nothing serious

CallOfTheCrow
09-08-09, 06:28 PM
UPDATE, 6:36 p.m.: Spoke to Robertson. He said he’s been pitching with it for two weeks now. There has been no drop in velocity or command, just tightness after he’s done pitching. He had an MRI and said no injury was apparent.

“I’m confident it’s not going to be anything,” he said.

Robertson has never had elbow issues before.

yankeebot
09-08-09, 06:31 PM
No reason to not send him to the best to make sure. Obviously I wouldn't be surprised if I hear he's going to need TJ Surgery, but at the very Robertson doesn't sound concerned which is a plus.Because Robertson already knows what was found on the MRI. This is a second opinion. So I'm assuming the first opinion wasn't bad.

edit: as confirmed by the previous post

Rocketbooster
09-08-09, 06:42 PM
UPDATE, 6:36 p.m.: Spoke to Robertson. He said hes been pitching with it for two weeks now. There has been no drop in velocity or command, just tightness after hes done pitching. He had an MRI and said no injury was apparent.

Im confident its not going to be anything, he said.

I suspect he hid it from the Yankees, just from the way it sounds. What a dummy.........Yes, I know athletes do this all the time, they want to play the macho game....and I hate it. It hurts them and it hurts the team.......

CallOfTheCrow
09-08-09, 06:45 PM
It has nothing to do with being "macho." He just wanted to help the team. Calling him an idiot like you did in the other thread seems to be going overboard. Especially since we know that the MRI revealed that there's nothing wrong.

nnysiny
09-08-09, 06:54 PM
I suspect he hid it from the Yankees, just from the way it sounds. What a dummy.........Yes, I know athletes do this all the time, they want to play the macho game....and I hate it. It hurts them and it hurts the team.......
but we were so set on being angry at the organization!

justtxyank
09-08-09, 06:58 PM
What??? Loves to "chance it"? You can't be serious. This team is the most careful with guys that are hurting in the league. They always rest guys beyond what is expected. I would like to know what you base that statement on?

A-Rod? Bruney? Wang?

JavyVazquezIsSick
09-08-09, 07:04 PM
UPDATE, 6:36 p.m.: Spoke to Robertson. He said hes been pitching with it for two weeks now. There has been no drop in velocity or command, just tightness after hes done pitching. He had an MRI and said no injury was apparent.

So after the MRI revealed nothing? What was the advice of the doctor? Just continue throwing?

b-ball-lunachick
09-08-09, 07:11 PM
how do you suspect that from that quote? :confused:

yankeebot
09-08-09, 07:17 PM
So how often do pitchers experience some level of tightness in the elbow after pitching? Do we know that this isn't a common occurrence and only becomes an issue if it exceeds a certain degree or repetitiveness?

grizy
09-08-09, 07:18 PM
So how often do pitchers experience some level of tightness in the elbow after pitching? Do we know that this isn't a common occurrence and only becomes an issue if it exceeds a certain degree or repetitiveness?

Basically every time to some degree. It only really becomes an issue if it lingers for more than a day. That's why sometimes pitchers don't even know they are hurt until one day they get on the mound and realize they can't throw.

yankeebot
09-08-09, 07:21 PM
Basically every time to some degree. It only really becomes an issue if it lingers for more than a day. That's why sometimes pitchers don't even know they are hurt until one day they get on the mound and realize they can't throw. I see. I wondered if that was the case. So then it's entirely possible that no one did anything wrong. Bummer. ;)

Melan-cynic
09-08-09, 07:23 PM
how do you suspect that from that quote? :confused:
Good question.

3 worst words in sports

Doctor James Andrews
True, but being sent there doesn't mean "he's done for the season." There's two types of trips: precautionary and doom. Bruney went to see Andrews earlier this year and he didn't undergo any procedure. It would seem DRob's is precautionary as well.

CallOfTheCrow
09-08-09, 07:24 PM
RB feels that she knows the players well enough. She said so.

JavyVazquezIsSick
09-08-09, 07:28 PM
I can't ever remember a player pitching with elbow tightness for 10 days as if it was something that was normal.

Art Vanderlay
09-08-09, 07:32 PM
From the information that has been released, it sounds like he started having an issue 2 weeks ago. The Yankees sent him for an MRI which came back clean but as a precaution the Yankees decided to not pitch him on consecutive days. When the problem did not resolve itslef, they decided to shut him down and send him for a second MRI/opinion. I think the Yankees handled it in a reasonable and responsible matter.

Melan-cynic
09-08-09, 07:33 PM
I can't ever remember a player pitching with elbow tightness for 10 days as if it was something that was normal.
Meet the Mets?

http://www.totalprosports.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/johan-santana.jpg

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/mets/santana_benched_with_sore_elbow_7Olv7zzmjmZIwoyImaktTK

"He has been pitching [with pain] probably since the [All-Star] break, but not with the level of discomfort he has now," Manuel said yesterday after the Mets' 6-2 loss to Philadelphia. "I know now that it concerns him."

Yankee Steve
09-08-09, 07:34 PM
It might have happened countless times - just not publicized. Not saying that is the case, only that we don't know what we don't know...

CallOfTheCrow
09-08-09, 07:34 PM
"hey zee zee, my elbow eez starting to fall off. Stupid cheepotle cheezsteak."

Melan-cynic
09-08-09, 07:36 PM
"hey zee zee, my elbow eez starting to fall off. Stupid cheepotle cheezsteak."
"Hey Z.Z., this bone cheep in my elbow iz soooo beeg!"

Blazer
09-08-09, 07:37 PM
Sounds like the team was aware, but the "discomfort" has gotten worse.

After first experiencing discomfort -- not pain -- two weeks ago, Robertson continued to pitch, compiling five strikeouts over three shutout innings in September. But the discomfort has increased to the point that the Yankees have grown concerned.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090908&content_id=6858754&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

JavyVazquezIsSick
09-08-09, 07:38 PM
Meet the Mets?

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/mets/santana_benched_with_sore_elbow_7Olv7zzmjmZIwoyImaktTK

Yikes, and that hasn't ended well for them.

I would think the reasonable solution would be extended rest, but I'm no doctor.

teknetic
09-08-09, 07:39 PM
Sounds like the team was aware, but the "discomfort" has gotten worse.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090908&content_id=6858754&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

With the lead we had, why even let him pitch?

Edit: In before thread police.

Melan-cynic
09-08-09, 07:40 PM
Yikes, and that hasn't ended well for them.

I would think the reasonable solution would be extended rest, but I'm no doctor.
No, the obvious answer is to keep pitching him, but only after altering his mechanics in the hopes of dwarfing his newfound velocity and dominant k/9.

Melan-cynic
09-08-09, 07:40 PM
With the lead we had, why even let him pitch? No ................ing excuse.

Cool Papa B.
09-08-09, 07:41 PM

THANK YOU!!! Everyone is ready to point the finger and cry bloody murder before they get all the facts straight. And for the record the Yankees have done an excellent job handling injuries this year; unlike the organization with the inferiority complex who plays in Queens. A great example is Arod and Molina. Let's wait and hear what the doctor's say. Yankees are still in good shape.

Melan-cynic
09-08-09, 07:43 PM
THANK YOU!!! Everyone is ready to point the finger and cry bloody murder before they get all the facts straight. And for the record the Yankees have done an excellent job handling injuries this year; unlike the organization with the inferiority complex who plays in Queens. A great example is Arod and Molina. Let's wait and hear what the doctor's say. Yankees are still in good shape.
Except that same poster proclaimed Robertson's season over before knowing anything...so, yeah.

JavyVazquezIsSick
09-08-09, 07:44 PM

We must be watching different teams.

CallOfTheCrow
09-08-09, 07:46 PM

Playing A-Rod as often as Girardi did against doctor's orders when he came back? Completely ruining Wang for 2009?

Not even close to excellent.

R.V.47
09-08-09, 07:47 PM

This sounds like good news.

CT-Yankee
09-08-09, 07:51 PM

WOW - i got to disagree with the handling of injuries. I think they did a poor job. Wang, Arod, Bruney, ( although he didn't help ) Marte ( where was he all year?) Anyone else? Not close to Mets bad, but not good either.

Blazer
09-08-09, 07:53 PM
More on the Robertson story:

Robertson said the stiffness typically sets in after his appearances. Girardi has tried to manage the injury by keeping Robertson from pitching back-to-back days. But even with the extra rest, the stiffness has returned after every appearance.

http://www.nj.com/yankees/index.ssf/2009/09/ny_yankees_notes_reliever_davi.html

JavyVazquezIsSick
09-08-09, 07:54 PM
Dr. Girardi.

False1
09-08-09, 08:03 PM
This stinks. Robertson was really coming into his own. I hope he's good to go for the playoffs.

Melan-cynic
09-08-09, 08:13 PM
We must be watching different teams.
Maybe he's talking about the Staten Island Yankees.

ajra21
09-09-09, 02:23 PM
not too concerned. i suspect he'll be shut down for a while.

YESSIR!
09-09-09, 02:28 PM
not too concerned. i suspect he'll be shut down for a while.

Lol, I'm not sure how, as a Yankee fan, your second sentence can resonably follow the first. Or vice versa :p

Melan-cynic
09-09-09, 02:31 PM
:lol:

ajra: "I'm not too concerned. I suspect my liver will shut down for a while." ;)

ajra21
09-09-09, 02:46 PM
Lol, I'm not sure how, as a Yankee fan, your second sentence can resonably follow the first. Or vice versa :p

i stay calm and don't overreact. s***, i might not actually be a yankee fan!

ajra21
09-09-09, 02:46 PM

ajra: "I'm not too concerned. I suspect my liver will shut down for a while." ;)
i'd be amazed if my liver ever shut down.

Melan-cynic
09-09-09, 03:14 PM
i'd be amazed if my liver ever shut down.

lol. nice.

Cool Papa B.
09-09-09, 03:35 PM
WOW - i got to disagree with the handling of injuries. I think they did a poor job. Wang, Arod, Bruney, ( although he didn't help ) Marte ( where was he all year?) Anyone else? Not close to Mets bad, but not good either.

How was Wang's injury mishandled? He wasn't throwing well at the beginning of the year. They took MRI's and it showed nothing so they sent him down to AAA to try and figure things out. There were no signs of injuries or arm fatigue until he was pitching in the middle of a game and Posada called it out.

How was ARod's injury mishandled. They identified the injury immediately; had the neccessary operation on his hip; gave him the necessary time off and rehab. And him having 1 game a week off is working out fine. True when ARod first came back Girardi played him a whole lot. But that was early on and Cashman & Girardi found a solution.

How was Bruney's injury mishandled? He had two stints on the DL. When Girardi found out about his injury they shut him down immediately and gave him the necessary time off and rehab.

How was Marte's injury mishandled? They identified his injury immediately, shut him down, and let him rehab for most of the season. They weren't abusing him by making him pitch 40 pitches/relief appearance.

COME ON GUYS!!!! Take your finger off the panic button!

Melan-cynic
09-09-09, 03:39 PM
How was Wang's injury mishandled?
That says about all I need to know about your knowledge of the Yankees.

Yankee Tripper
09-09-09, 03:43 PM
How was Wang's injury mishandled?
In just about every way possibly imaginable.

Cool Papa B.
09-09-09, 03:44 PM
In just about every way possibly imaginable.

WHAT!?!?!?!?!?

CallOfTheCrow
09-09-09, 03:45 PM
loud noises!

R.V.47
09-09-09, 03:47 PM
I think what happened with Wang was that they just assumed he had some arm problem as a result of not being at full strength after all the down time he had with the foot injury. They didnt do their due dilligence with that one.

Yankee Tripper
09-09-09, 03:54 PM
How was Wang's injury mishandled? He wasn't throwing well at the beginning of the year. They took MRI's and it showed nothing so they sent him down to AAA to try and figure things out. There were no signs of injuries or arm fatigue until he was pitching in the middle of a game and Posada called it out.
See the Wang thread - there is ample detail on the various mishandlings of his rehab from the get go.

How was ARod's injury mishandled. They identified the injury immediately; had the neccessary operation on his hip; gave him the necessary time off and rehab. And him having 1 game a week off is working out fine. True when ARod first came back Girardi played him a whole lot. But that was early on and Cashman & Girardi found a solution.

He apparently had issues at the end of os last year and they chose to ignore it until it cropped up in Spring. Had the issue been dealt with last October/November he would not have missed April and a possible second procdure would not be needed. See Utley, Chase for how it should have been handled.

How was Bruney's injury mishandled? He had two stints on the DL. When Girardi found out about his injury they shut him down immediately and gave him the necessary time off and rehab.

No mishandled. Brunney was stipid for hiding the injury. Nothing you can do about that one.

How was Marte's injury mishandled? They identified his injury immediately, shut him down, and let him rehab for most of the season. They weren't abusing him by making him pitch 40 pitches/relief appearance.

They did OK with this one but really he should have been shut down after the WBC debalacle. Not after he picthed though shoulder pain for a few weeks to start the season.

COME ON GUYS!!!! Take your finger off the panic button!

Trips to Dr. Andrews seldom end with good news. The ones that do are the exceptions rather than the rules.

Cool Papa B.
09-09-09, 03:55 PM
I think what happened with Wang was that they just assumed he had some arm problem as a result of not being at full strength after all the down time he had with the foot injury. They didnt do their due dilligence with that one.

But after his first 3 starts of the season, the Yankees had Wang checked out and Wang said he was fine (whether he was telling them the truth, I don't know). That's why they made up an injury and sent him to AAA to try and get him straightened out.

I honestly think Wang changed something in his mechanics and/or started overthrowing and as a result he blew out his shoulder.

CallOfTheCrow
09-09-09, 03:58 PM
The Yankees specifically told Wang not to work out his legs.

Melan-cynic
09-09-09, 04:24 PM
Good movie.

http://whimsykid.files.wordpress.com/2008/12/clueless.jpg

jeterismyhomeboy
09-09-09, 04:24 PM

Isn't that technically a problem with rehab and not with the injury specifically? I think that a lot of this is lumping in immediate response to injury with rehab, which are not the same thing. I don't think they screwed up on A-Rod in the fall of last year; he thought that he could play through the discomfort and because of how the injury comes about--long-term wear and tear--it wasn't nearly as pronounced in September as it was in March. If the player thinks that he's all right, and the tests don't show irreparable harm, why would the team assume that he should go under the knife?

Anyway, the Yanks have done some truly awful rehab bungling. But when it comes to an immediate response to an injury, the Yanks don't say "rub some dirt in it." Girardi pitched Robertson for literally three innings after the "tightness" appeared. There was no damage on the MRI. Robertson gave up 1 hit, 1 walk and had five strikeouts over those three appearances, each spaced out by a day of rest. This was not any type of abuse.

ieddyi
09-09-09, 04:25 PM

Well, they told him not to run, but he was riding the exercise bike

jimmykey2
09-09-09, 04:46 PM
Interesting point on Robertson's fastball I found on baseballanalysts.com,

"Robertson comes in at about half a run better than average per 100 pitches. By my numbers, an average fastball of 92 MPH with 0 horizontal movement and 11 inches of vertical movement is the equivalent to a 96 MPH fastball with 9 inches of horizontal movement and 11 inches of vertical movement."

flymick24
09-09-09, 05:13 PM
thing is, robertson has been touching 96 this year

2JAY
09-09-09, 05:26 PM
Hopefully, Robertson will be able to bounce back from the soreness and it is nothing that requires surgery.

ajra21
09-10-09, 03:06 PM

while this may on the face of it sound like a bad idea, i can just imagine the outrage had they told him to work his legs and he'd then re-injured his foot.

Yankee Fan in Boston
09-10-09, 03:26 PM
while this may on the face of it sound like a bad idea, i can just imagine the outrage had they told him to work his legs and he'd then re-injured his foot.

This may not make much of a difference, but I think they told him not to run, not not to do any leg work.

ajra21
09-10-09, 03:50 PM
This may not make much of a difference, but I think they told him not to run, not not to do any leg work.

you are right of course. they told him to ride a bike, not run.

nnysiny
09-10-09, 07:35 PM
so anyway...Robertson will be out for a week or two.
http://yankees.lhblogs.com/2009/09/10/rest-prescribed-for-robertson/

grizy
09-10-09, 07:55 PM
But after his first 3 starts of the season, the Yankees had Wang checked out and Wang said he was fine (whether he was telling them the truth, I don't know). That's why they made up an injury and sent him to AAA to try and get him straightened out.

I honestly think Wang changed something in his mechanics and/or started overthrowing and as a result he blew out his shoulder.

If there were mechanical changes they can be traced back to the medical and training staffs telling him not to run and somehow an outside doctor was able to properly diagnose him with weak abductor muscles in a matter of hours and he came back decent after spending some time in the pool.

That also would at least partially fall on Eiland who should spotted such mechanical changes.

More importantly, don't be stupid or willfully ignorant. The Wang episode has been such a blatant display of pure incompetence on the part of Yankees training and medical staffs even Cashman has admitted they mishandled Wang's rehab.

grizy
09-10-09, 08:01 PM

I looked everywhere, including literature from other sports where lis-franc injuries are more common, I just can't believe they didn't put him back on a full re-strengthening program after 6 months of rehab and taking mound back in October. (yes, he was throwing off mounds in bullpen sessions all the way back in October of 2008.)

There is caution, and then there is stupidity. We crossed that threshold somewhere between April 2009 in spring training and October 2008 when he began his rehab in earnest.

Chacon
09-11-09, 02:51 AM
Fantastic news

Cool Papa B.
09-11-09, 03:25 AM
If there were mechanical changes they can be traced back to the medical and training staffs telling him not to run and somehow an outside doctor was able to properly diagnose him with weak abductor muscles in a matter of hours and he came back decent after spending some time in the pool.

That also would at least partially fall on Eiland who should spotted such mechanical changes.

More importantly, don't be stupid or willfully ignorant. The Wang episode has been such a blatant display of pure incompetence on the part of Yankees training and medical staffs even Cashman has admitted they mishandled Wang's rehab.

I don't appreciate your insults. Just because I don't agree with your opinion or other popular beliefs doesn't give you the right to insult me.

Blazer
09-11-09, 05:09 AM
See the Wang thread - there is ample detail on the various mishandlings of his rehab from the get go.

He apparently had issues at the end of os last year and they chose to ignore it until it cropped up in Spring. Had the issue been dealt with last October/November he would not have missed April and a possible second procdure would not be needed. See Utley, Chase for how it should have been handled.

No mishandled. Brunney was stipid for hiding the injury. Nothing you can do about that one.

They did OK with this one but really he should have been shut down after the WBC debalacle. Not after he picthed though shoulder pain for a few weeks to start the season.

Trips to Dr. Andrews seldom end with good news. The ones that do are the exceptions rather than the rules.

Nailed it 100%, Tripper.

knickfan23
09-11-09, 11:02 AM
so anyway...Robertson will be out for a week or two.
http://yankees.lhblogs.com/2009/09/10/rest-prescribed-for-robertson/

You know, Dr. Andrews' aura is falling. The last few guys that have gone to him have not needed an operation.

BronxYanks45
09-11-09, 12:58 PM
question is will Robertson be ready for the postseason back to regular playing form?

Young Steinbrenner
09-11-09, 03:53 PM
I said along time ago, David Robertson is the most underrated Yankee :soapbox:

Don Wrigley
09-11-09, 03:55 PM
You know, Dr. Andrews' aura is falling. The last few guys that have gone to him have not needed an operation.

I'd say his aura is rising. Not only do they send players to him for surgery, now they're sending them for diagnoses. Pretty soon, only Andrews will be a good enough doctor to give the players their physicals. Followed quickly be him being "uber" doctor.

R.V.47
09-11-09, 03:57 PM
question is will Robertson be ready for the postseason back to regular playing form?

He was throwing harder than he was all season during the time he apparently had elbow tightness and continued to get better as the season went on so I think he will be fine.

Young Steinbrenner
09-11-09, 04:30 PM
Dr. James Andrews in Birmingham Alabama AKA he's the best doctor alive. Seriously. What top athlete/team doesn't use him? He's the best.

If Dr. Andrews thinks Robertson's arm just needs rest, then I'm not worried.

CT-Yankee
10-03-09, 04:22 PM
I saw Robertson threw an inning last night. One run and a couple hits. Pretty meaningless results wise but how did he look ?

Yankee Steve
10-03-09, 04:27 PM
He looked good, actually. Last night, I think Tampa would have knocked Sandy Koufax around. Sometimes it just goes that way. Velocity was good and his breaking ball was good as well. I think he is ready to roll.

CT-Yankee
10-03-09, 05:04 PM
He looked good, actually. Last night, I think Tampa would have knocked Sandy Koufax around. Sometimes it just goes that way. Velocity was good and his breaking ball was good as well. I think he is ready to roll.

Good news! I was really hoping he would be good enough to go for the playoffs. Too good of a K pitcher to do without.

False1
10-03-09, 06:00 PM
I agree that he looked good in spite of the results. He pounded the strike zone. His stuff wasn't quite as sharp, but I guess that's to be expected.

ajra21
10-04-09, 04:18 AM
Dr. James Andrews in Birmingham Alabama AKA he's the best doctor alive. Seriously. What top athlete/team doesn't use him? He's the best.

If Dr. Andrews thinks Robertson's arm just needs rest, then I'm not worried.

i stubbed my toe the other week and called his office. he's booked up for months.

Blazer
10-04-09, 02:56 PM
I really want to see Robertson on the ALDS roster instead of Bruney.

Melan-cynic
10-04-09, 03:14 PM
Who doesn't?

Blazer
10-04-09, 03:56 PM
Who doesn't?

A man named Joe?

teknetic
10-04-09, 04:27 PM
Why would he be left off?

mr.roy
10-04-09, 04:32 PM
A man named Joe?

Could that be Joe Mama? :) ;)

Dave will be on the play off roster. Ready, willing and able.
Bruney? Only your hair-dresser knows.

Blazer
10-04-09, 04:37 PM
Why would he be left off?

How many pitchers will be on the ALDS roster, 10 or 11?

roblyo33
10-04-09, 04:38 PM
How many pitchers will be on the ALDS roster, 10 or 11?

I'm guessing 10

Blazer
10-04-09, 04:40 PM
I'm guessing 10

Assuming Joe carries 2 LHRP that leaves one spot between Bruney & Robertson.

CC
Andy
AJ

Mo
Hughes
Ace
Joba
Coke
Marte

JavyVazquezIsSick
10-04-09, 04:55 PM
There is little to no chance Robertson gets left off the roster. We don't need two LHRP.

If would be an absolute travesty if Marte gets to make the roster over Robertson solely because he throws with his LH.

Breyean
10-04-09, 06:06 PM
I thought I either heard or read today that Marte might have tendonitis.

If so, that might make the decision easier.

Rocketbooster
10-04-09, 06:56 PM
I thought I either heard or read today that Marte might have tendonitis.

If so, that might make the decision easier.

That was Mitre

JohnnyEllis
10-04-09, 07:06 PM
Assuming Joe carries 2 LHRP that leaves one spot between Bruney & Robertson.

CC
Andy
AJ

Mo
Hughes
Ace
Joba
Coke
Marte

Joba in the pen means we can make the right choice (Robertson).

ajra21
10-06-09, 06:56 AM
There is little to no chance Robertson gets left off the roster. We don't need two LHRP.

If would be an absolute travesty if Marte gets to make the roster over Robertson solely because he throws with his LH.

i expect them both to be on the roster, especially if we play the twins.

R.V.47
10-06-09, 07:57 AM
i expect them both to be on the roster, especially if we play the twins.

If things go according to plan we wont need a matchup lefty in the first round. Joba, Hughes and Rivera are more than capable of getting lefties out.

ajra21
10-06-09, 11:44 AM
If things go according to plan we wont need a matchup lefty in the first round. Joba, Hughes and Rivera are more than capable of getting lefties out.

totally agree. with joba in the 'pen, we are ridiculously strong. in theory, we have three complete shut down relievers and can then fall back on some merely good ones if our starter gets knocked out early.

Yankee Tripper
10-06-09, 11:46 AM
If Robertson isn't on the post season roster I'm going beat Cashman with a tire iron unless it comes out that Robertson's elbow fell off.

ajra21
10-06-09, 11:54 AM
If Robertson isn't on the post season roster I'm going beat Cashman with a tire iron unless it comes out that Robertson's elbow fell off.

he'll make it, don't worry. when you strikeout almost 13 hitters per 9 innings and have proved you are healthy, you make the post season roster.

Yankee Tripper
10-06-09, 12:25 PM
he'll make it, don't worry. when you strikeout almost 13 hitters per 9 innings and have proved you are healthy, you make the post season roster.
I know that's why I made my tire iron comment.

I can't believe that RAB was actually listing him as not a lock and considering Brian Bruney as an alternative to D-Rob, though they said they would go D-Rob. I just don't even see a debate there.

Melan-cynic
10-06-09, 12:53 PM
That blog sucks.

ajra21
10-07-09, 09:18 AM
That blog sucks.

i have to disagree. river ave blues is a pretty good blog.

that said ...

I know that's why I made my tire iron comment.

I can't believe that RAB was actually listing him as not a lock and considering Brian Bruney as an alternative to D-Rob, though they said they would go D-Rob. I just don't even see a debate there.

i didn't think they lined the options up very well in that article.

ThePost
10-09-09, 09:20 PM
Let's go

ThePost
10-09-09, 09:26 PM
Huge!

PirateChief
Sexy beast. Oh my god.

teknetic
I .............. love this guy.

YankeeFaninATL
Wow!!

spyglass
10-09-09, 09:27 PM
Bless you, David. Bless you.

The Greek
10-09-09, 09:29 PM
Epic.

YankeeStripes
10-09-09, 09:37 PM
he'll go down as an unsung hero, but what he did was AMAZING.

2JAY
10-09-09, 09:38 PM
What a job by Robertson with no room for error, he comes in throwing strikes and did not allow a run. Outstanding!!

wileedog
10-09-09, 09:40 PM
I love this kid.

Eldee5
Just an amazing job by Robertson tonight. Incredibly impressive.

spyglass
I want to marry him.

Yankees
10-09-09, 09:41 PM
With all the Joba in the pen stuff it felt like he was getting overlooked. I'm glad he got a chance to shine. Heck of a job.

bcom33
10-09-09, 09:41 PM
David Robertson. Keep it up for many years to come!

yankeetomer54
10-09-09, 09:43 PM
Dave robertson oh man. what a game and what a clutch performance.

YankeeSass
10-09-09, 09:43 PM
Kudos to D-rob. That was a fantastic performance. Saved the game!

JohnnyEllis
10-09-09, 09:44 PM
Kept his cool, which wasn't always the case earlier in the year. He's a fixture now. Stay healthy, kid.

BroadwayBomber55
10-09-09, 09:44 PM
Ice cool was David Robertson saving Damaso Marte's bacon.

Damaso, you're buying D-Rob lunch.

NelsonMuntz
10-09-09, 09:45 PM
Balls. Huge brass ones.

MTYankee23
Funny that some people were calling him gutless earlier in the year. Awesome job.

Yankeesfan924
Who said this guy doesn't have cajones?

Boogiedown Bomber
10-09-09, 09:46 PM
Robertson's the man!

diehardyankeefan
Thank you David Robertson!!!!

jimmykey2
He got a bit lucky, but he got the job done.

kan_t
10-09-09, 09:47 PM

And Joe Girardi should buy him dinner.

Mark19
10-09-09, 09:50 PM
A million apologies to Mr. David Robertson for questioning his mettle earlier this season. He came into one of the most stressful situations in professional baseball and held the line masterfully.

mr.roy
10-09-09, 09:50 PM

Probably should give him no less than, a quarter of his salary.

b-ball-lunachick
10-09-09, 10:14 PM
Nice job by robertson!! :)

Tino's Girl
10-09-09, 10:15 PM
Robertson is tough! Great job, a true Yankee!

Eldee5
10-09-09, 10:16 PM
Robertson got the sluggers belt tonight! Well deserved!

BroadwayBomber55
10-09-09, 10:16 PM
Probably should give him no less than, a quarter of his salary.
I make it 3/4.

ARoDfan4life
10-09-09, 10:19 PM
Amazing job by you kid, so proud of this guy right now.

Yankee Tripper
10-09-09, 10:23 PM
Houdini!!!!!!!!

JeterForPresident
10-09-09, 10:24 PM
Unbelievable job by Dave tonight.

Glad to see he isn't being overlooked with all that has gone on.

hatfieldms
10-09-09, 10:35 PM
Great job tonight. Keep it going boys

frostdude1
10-09-09, 10:38 PM
D-Rob for life !!!!!! What an amazing outing. Shades of El-Duque in 2005 for the White Sox

YanksFan1992
10-09-09, 10:39 PM
Robertson = G. O. A. T.
Nathan = Goat

:D

JSG
10-09-09, 11:03 PM
phenomenal houdini act.

dabomb2045
10-09-09, 11:07 PM
D-Rob came up huge....what a turn around for him. From Dr. Andrews office to getting out of a huge jam in a playoff game. Awesome job.

CallOfTheCrow
10-10-09, 12:13 AM
Two youngsters really showed a set of balls that inning, Robertson & Cervelli.

roblyo33
10-10-09, 12:14 AM
A million apologies to Mr. David Robertson for questioning his mettle earlier this season. He came into one of the most stressful situations in professional baseball and held the line masterfully.

Very nice mea culpa.

themgmt
10-10-09, 12:22 AM
He got the belt tonight.

Melan-cynic
10-10-09, 12:28 AM
pr0nstar.

CallOfTheCrow
10-10-09, 12:29 AM
Robertson has a pair of volleyballs in his pants.

YankeeinCT
10-10-09, 12:30 AM
I've liked Robertson all season and I'm glad he got to shine tonight.

False1
10-10-09, 01:14 AM
A million apologies to Mr. David Robertson for questioning his mettle earlier this season. He came into one of the most stressful situations in professional baseball and held the line masterfully.Well done sir.

I think there were a string of folks that said he threw like "a scared girl" earlier this season. Where are those folks now?

27IsNext
10-10-09, 01:34 AM
Cleaning up other people's messes is nothing new for him. I watched him do it personally *many* times as the closer at Alabama.

ajra21
10-10-09, 07:43 AM
D-Rob for life !!!!!! What an amazing outing. Shades of El-Duque in 2005 for the White Sox

that what i was thinking. such a good job, well done dave! the first out was stung - glad tex caught it. giambi wouldn't have.

budstinks
10-10-09, 08:51 AM
Nice thing about Robertson is he should be fresh.

And he looked it.

He only pitched around 10 innings a month when he was healthy, then got a good bit of Sept off with his shoulder.

If he's healthy, he's a nice option.

OldYankeeFan
10-10-09, 09:00 AM
Well done sir.

I think there were a string of folks that said he threw like "a scared girl" earlier this season. Where are those folks now? They joined a private chat group with those that wanted to just "dump" A-Rod before the season started .

BTW. nice that DRob showed he had the "fortitude" to be able to throw strikes in such a crucial situation. He just climbed up the totem pole and probably buried Marte for good.

ARoDfan4life
10-10-09, 02:41 PM
He was amazing in that 11th inning jam. I want to make an animation of him, But what do I gif? Dammit he should have K'd somebody.:(

Eldee5
10-10-09, 06:18 PM
My first thought was Ramiro Mendoza against the Red Sox in the '99 ALCS but Duque's job (also against the Red Sox) works too.

PAULIEWALNUTS
10-10-09, 06:21 PM
Saw post game interview on YES, he seems like a very nice likeable kid. Makes you want him to succeed even more.

Yankee Fan in Boston
10-10-09, 07:18 PM
Two youngsters really showed a set of balls that inning, Robertson & Cervelli.

Good point on Cervelli. He really took control in the extra innings of a playoff game -- awesome to see from a guy with his limited experience

False1
10-10-09, 07:24 PM
Saw post game interview on YES, he seems like a very nice likeable kid. Makes you want him to succeed even more.If he can get his BB/9 rate down, he's Scot Shields... with a 12 K/9. :)

Yankee Fan in Boston
10-10-09, 07:26 PM
If he can get his BB/9 rate down, he's Scot Shields... with a 12 K/9. :)

Imagine if this team had any kind of a farm system

False1
10-10-09, 07:38 PM
Imagine if this team had any kind of a farm systemThey would, if they hadn't of traded them all away for front line starters and 125 OPS+ RFers. They'd probably have a bevy of good, young pitching. Oh wait...

THEBOSS84
10-10-09, 07:45 PM
They would, if they hadn't of traded them all away for front line starters and 125 OPS+ RFers. They'd probably have a bevy of good, young pitching. Oh wait...

It's crazy - look at the pen they used last night - Robertson, Coke, Hughes, Joba, Mariano, Aceves. All but Marte (who should han himself) are from our farm.

False1
10-10-09, 07:55 PM
It's crazy - look at the pen they used last night - Robertson, Coke, Hughes, Joba, Mariano, Aceves. All but Marte (who should han himself) are from our farm.And Marte is actually originally from our farm, prior to getting traded away for Enrique Wilson. :doh:

THEBOSS84
10-10-09, 07:57 PM
And Marte is actually originally from our farm, prior to getting traded away for Enrique Wilson. :doh:

Heh, totally overlooked that when I wrote that post.

Spending money on relievers is not what the Yankees should be doing.

mexicanyank
10-10-09, 11:23 PM
It's crazy - look at the pen they used last night - Robertson, Coke, Hughes, Joba, Mariano, Aceves. All but Marte (who should han himself) are from our farm.

Hey wait a sec. Aceves came out of the Mexican League. I watched him play and win a championship in my hometown. The fact that the Yankees scouted him is one thing, but I wouldn't call him a product of the farm.

OldYankeeFan
10-11-09, 08:25 AM
Hey wait a sec. Aceves came out of the Mexican League. I watched him play and win a championship in my hometown. The fact that the Yankees scouted him is one thing, but I wouldn't call him a product of the farm.I think the primary point that was being made is that we DIDN'T trade for him or pay big FA dollars for his services, but was actually promoted from OUR AAA farm club..

ajra21
10-11-09, 12:00 PM
And Marte is actually originally from our farm, prior to getting traded away for Enrique Wilson. :doh:

throw in that andy and wang are from our farms too; we have a staff that most clubs would die to produce.

The Greek
10-17-09, 11:30 PM
Jeff Mathis? :(

bomber999
10-17-09, 11:34 PM
He really hung the 1-0 curveball. It's a good thing that Matthews is putrid.

PAULIEWALNUTS
10-17-09, 11:34 PM
Go DROB.

Mark19
10-17-09, 11:55 PM
D-Rob is being set-up to fail by his infield and manager, this blows

The Greek
10-17-09, 11:57 PM
So who is the goat of this game should we lose? We have so many to choose from.

Mark19
10-17-09, 11:58 PM

I guess it goes to Joe because there can't be 10

ppa79

Girardi

kongull
anyone with a bat in there hand

STNYY
10-18-09, 12:01 AM
I'm so glad Vlad sucks now...Robertson's spent IMO. Score now or lose.

Blazer
10-18-09, 12:02 AM
Hats off to Robertson.

27IsNext
10-18-09, 12:03 AM
Great job all things considered. Set up to fail.

teknetic
10-18-09, 12:03 AM
Duke Nukem would be proud.

Mark19
10-18-09, 12:16 AM
Big marbles

DJ27
10-18-09, 12:17 AM
Glad you are back! ;)

followwind
10-18-09, 12:17 AM
Duke Nukem would be proud.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Ice water in his vein.

JohnnyEllis
10-18-09, 12:21 AM
Fantastic...One of those rare reliever wins that was actually earned.

gill2k
10-18-09, 12:21 AM
D-Rob held it down!!!

-tz
10-18-09, 12:24 AM
And D-Rob got the win ... just as he did in A.J.'s start in the ALDS! :D

b-ball-lunachick
10-18-09, 12:30 AM
I love seeing these younger guys performing in the postseason - wow. nice job by Robertson. :)

sweet_lou_14
10-18-09, 12:32 AM
What a performance by Robertson.

Who knew he would be such a key piece when this season started?

Rocketbooster
10-18-09, 12:34 AM
Robertson really grew up this season. I always liked this talent, but wow - he's come far, and fast

Mark19
10-18-09, 12:36 AM
This is not the same kid who was sweating bullets and walking the bases loaded in Minnesota - he's got great poise now, I'm glad we have him

b-ball-lunachick
10-18-09, 12:36 AM
What a performance by Robertson.

Who knew he would be such a key piece when this season started?
I did - if he had made the team out of Spring Training, i may have finished in the top 10 of the JDPNYY contest. :D Seriously, I've liked him a lot going back to last year.

anubis7010
10-18-09, 12:37 AM
amazing. a great year for dave and he doesnt get the praise he deserves.

jimmykey2
10-18-09, 12:39 AM
This is not the same kid who was sweating bullets and walking the bases loaded in Minnesota - he's got great poise now, I'm glad we have him

That game was classic Dave... he walked Span and Kubel and got Mauer and Mourneau out.

ARoDfan4life
10-18-09, 12:39 AM
http://i38.tinypic.com/24edmpt.jpg

False1
10-18-09, 01:06 AM
Love that D-Rob is pitching well in the post season and giving a big STFU to everyone here who referred to him as a scared girl everytime he walked someone a few months ago.

ARoDfan4life
10-18-09, 01:47 AM
SRSLY how is this kid not getting his props from media tonight. Chris Shern & Buck Showalter are the only one's who gave him his props tonight. What he did was UNBELIEVEABLE.

yankeeman61
10-18-09, 07:56 AM
This kid has been nails. Absolutely huge performances so far.

JSG
10-18-09, 01:58 PM
This kid has been nails. Absolutely huge performances so far.

totally. one houdini act and then picking up cano in the 13th. he's been HUGE, how lucky are we he came back healty ???!!!

roblyo33
10-18-09, 02:25 PM
Big marbles

A little different from a couple of months ago, correct???

nnysiny
10-18-09, 02:27 PM
hes been really impressive for the past couple of months. maybe he will set up for Mo next year, depending on where Hughes and Joba are

mr.roy
10-18-09, 02:30 PM
More like "balls of gold". He's only going to be more valuable next year.

ppa79
10-18-09, 02:31 PM
The only issue with him is walks, if he cuts them down, he will be flat out dominate.

Blazer
10-18-09, 02:45 PM
The only issue with him is walks, if he cuts them down, he will be flat out dominate.

Overall I agree with that thought.

Though he threw a couple gawdawful pitches last night he didn't unintentionally walk anyone.

ppa79
10-18-09, 03:07 PM
Overall I agree with that thought.

Though he threw a couple gawdawful pitches last night he didn't unintentionally walk anyone.

I wasn't talking about last night. Just his short career in general.

AWDean
10-18-09, 03:48 PM
Great performance. He's really got some nerve out there. Amazing how they can't seem to touch him. Huge job getting out of that mess.

CT-Yankee
10-18-09, 04:21 PM
hes been really impressive for the past couple of months. maybe he will set up for Mo next year, depending on where Hughes and Joba are

I think he would be great in that role. I could even see him replace Mo someday. Well you don't really replace Mo - I mean that role that Mo is in!

Beyle
10-18-09, 08:43 PM
Robertson did a fine job last night, although I still thought I'd have an ulcer by the end of the night.

Hellsing
10-18-09, 09:11 PM
Future replacement for Mariano Rivera.

ARoDfan4life
10-18-09, 11:32 PM
More like the next version of Jeff Nelson. But this kid has more balls.

Joba-Walkee
10-18-09, 11:46 PM
This is the same guy people said had no guts, right?

teknetic
10-18-09, 11:59 PM
<!-- / icon and title --> <!-- message -->
Kid has some talent, no doubt about it

Throwing strikes can be a wonderful thing

I don't trust pitchers who don't trust their own stuff

Robertson is on my good list

----

Really a gutless performance, if he is going to act so immature, he needs more time in AAA

Deteriorate into a spineless child and refuse to throw strikes. If he doesn't have the nerves to deal with the bases loaded in July in Minnesota, he certainly cannot be trusted in August or September against Boston or Tampa.

He has ML stuff but he's just a child when it comes to pitching when it matters

Robertson starts throwing strikes and challenging hitters just as soon as the game is out of reach

Time to call a spade a spade, this kid can't handle pressure

Yea, same guy.

ARoDfan4life
10-19-09, 12:04 AM
I said even when he was iffy, the kid is just 23 or 24, I even said he has the chance of being a Tkashi Saito type reliever. I was right. :p

It's funny a kid who didn't have that much college, was going through the growing pains, just like Joba was and still is as a SP, and will be..but that's for another thread.

D-Rob has been big for us. "BIG BALLS" big!

Joba-Walkee
10-19-09, 12:05 AM
ITT: Why psychoanalyzing players is stupid.

BRNXBMRS
10-19-09, 08:28 AM
I love this kid!

Don Wrigley
10-19-09, 08:36 AM
Not bad for a 17th rounder :eek:

Hats off to the Yankees scouting department, that 2006 Yankee draft will turn out to be one of the best draft classes in history.

Joba, Kennedy, Robertson, McAllister, Melancon, Betances, Kontos, Norton...

BurntAsh
10-19-09, 10:36 AM
Girardi should trust him more than Aceves or Marte.

JSG
10-19-09, 12:25 PM
http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/yankees/yankees_confidence_in_robertson_NkTwrIaNLUZmQ36Wio7HfK

JSG
10-19-09, 12:28 PM
<!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->Yea, same guy.

>> Mr. Steinbrenner: Hire this man !!

Yankee Tripper
10-19-09, 12:30 PM
Girardi should trust him more than Aceves or Marte.
Marte, sure but why Acevas?

Acevas has been very good all year and if I'm not mistaken had the 2nd best WHIP of any reliever in the AL.

I do like D-Rob a lot and his ablity to come up with the K is a great asset in the pen but I'd put him on par with Acevas. I'm pertty confident with either of them coming in and with Joba looking good in the pen and Hughes being rock solid most the year, I love how the pen is set up right now.

JSG
10-19-09, 12:39 PM
Acevas has been very good all year and if I'm not mistaken had the 2nd best WHIP of any reliever in the AL.

aceves has generally been very good/reliable, but now that joba has the 7th, innings 7-9 are pretty much booked. aceves seems to be our first "long" option either pre joba (re K.O.W. meltdown) or post mariano. it seems that girardi likes aceves for length, as he could go 2 or more, whereas he might use robertson more surgically because of his K abilities, or to go long post aceves if our pen is low on arms. marte, well, he should get one L batter tops and pray like hell ........

Yankee Tripper
10-19-09, 12:47 PM
aceves has generally been very good/reliable, but now that joba has the 7th, innings 7-9 are pretty much booked. aceves seems to be our first "long" option either pre joba (re K.O.W. meltdown) or post mariano. it seems that girardi likes aceves for length, as he could go 2 or more, whereas he might use robertson more surgically because of his K abilities, or to go long post aceves if our pen is low on arms. marte, well, he should get one L batter tops and pray like hell ........actually as long as Coke and Marte are limited to lefty duty I'm happy with any one else in the pen in any spot.