PDA

View Full Version : Alex Rodriguez Support Thread

Pages : [1] 2

FtheSox&RallyMonkey
02-09-09, 05:26 PM
Since I was 8 and A-Rod was a rookie on the Seattle Mariners, he's been my favorite baseball player and athlete in general. I believed all of his feats were all natural which made me even prouder to be an A-Rod fan. It really hurt me on Saturday when the steroid story came out and knowing that my hero was also a cheater. Even though I feel betrayed by his words and actions, I think it's important to support him. He's still a Yankee, and he's still the best player on the team and a top 5 player in baseball. I know a lot of fans have been split on him whether it's his lack of clutchness or his huge contract but the fact of the matter is the guy's won 2 MVP's since coming to the Yankees, is probably going to be on the team for 9 more years, and may eventually break Barry Bonds' home run record (even though it may not be legit). Unlike Barry Bonds and Roger Clemens, he was man enough to admit his mistake and apologize like Andy Pettitte and Jason Giambi who were both forgiven. I'm sure a lot of you may disagree with this but I think as Yankee fans we should still support and cheer for him and if you're gonna boo, save it for when he doesn't hit in the post season :P.

trapper700
02-09-09, 05:31 PM
I'm all for supporting ARod. I think it was wise of him to accept that he made a mistake and admit it. And as long as he stays away from using PEDs again, he'll have my full support. Keep in mind he was given similar tests as olympic athletes in '06 for his participation in the WBC, and will do so again this year.

rajah
02-09-09, 05:38 PM
I am a Yankee fan. This guy is a great, great ball player who plays for the Yankees. end of story; I support him.

He made a mistake and did what many, if not most, players were doing. It did not directly hurt anyone. The guy is very human and thereby gets my sympathy as well as support.

This whole steroid controversy, in my opinion, is way, way over blown. There are tremendous problems in the world. This is not one.

JavyVazquezIsSick
02-09-09, 05:39 PM
I support steroids and Alex Rodriguez

YankeePride1967
02-09-09, 05:40 PM
While I certainly don't support him using steroids, I support him as a man and as a Yankee.

YanksFanTillDeath
02-09-09, 05:40 PM
I support him 100%, two minute Standing ovation on his first at bat..

LETS GO YANKS !!!!

junkman73
02-09-09, 05:42 PM
If he delivers on the field all will be forgotten. The guy has some serious issues. Anyone who still thinks Madonna is a prize, needs to have their head examined. This isn't 1987.

ICEBERG18
02-09-09, 05:51 PM
I support the Yankees signing Manny Ramirez.

dogg
02-09-09, 05:54 PM
Alex admitted his usage and has apologized. If you want to crucify him, go ahead, you're wasting your time. This story is now officially old news.

leutbneot
02-09-09, 05:56 PM
Definitely in the Arod support camp. He was great in his interview with Gammons today. I'm glad he took the Pettitte path, came clean, and asked the public to forgive him instead of going the Clemens route. He seemed genuinely sorry in the interview and i still want him on the Yanks, doing what he does.

He's still my favorite player and this whole thing actually humanizes him a bit, in my eyes.

I should probably also say that I don't really care about steroids in general, so I'm sure that makes it easier for me to be supportive. Some of my buddies are vehemently anti-steroid, and I'm sure that they are more conflicted about this than I am. Oh well. To each his own.

BxBomber44
02-09-09, 05:56 PM
People make mistakes, and so do baseball legends. I'm behind Alex.

Jeter Kid
02-09-09, 06:03 PM
People make mistakes, and so do baseball legends. I'm behind Alex.

QFT 100%

NYYDragoon
02-09-09, 06:04 PM
Here's for a killer 2009!

Panamaniac42
02-09-09, 06:08 PM
I support ARod and all the other current Yankees (I suspect 6 or 7 on the 25 man roster) who have used PEDs.

THEBOSS84
02-09-09, 06:10 PM
Alex will continue to be my favorite Yankee - I fully support him and will continue to do so as long as he's a Yankee.

YanksFan1992
02-09-09, 06:11 PM
I've always supported him, and have never booed him throughout his career (even during his horrendous series in Seattle last year).

I was disappointed with what came out two days ago, but was still behind him, and what he did today cemented that even further.

Here's to another MVP in 09 Alex.

Brooklyn Yankee Fan
02-09-09, 06:16 PM
Here's for a killer 2009!

If he can pull off a great 2009... oh man.

You have my support A-Rod!

JfromJersey
02-09-09, 06:23 PM
I'm going to support him for one reason. He plays for the Yankees and they really need him.

JBursch23
02-09-09, 06:23 PM
Big fan of A-Rod. I'll be rooting for him all year long.

apalradio
02-09-09, 06:25 PM
This story is not about ARod. It's about a huge percentage of MLB players who were doing it at the time when nobody was really policing this. We don't know who they were, thanks to the bullseye place directly on ARod, but I'm willing to bet there were lots more than the 103 other names that SI has conveniently neglected to mention in its breaking news story.

Yes, I support the man and am grateful he's not pulling a Rocket or Bonds here.

4bronxbombers
02-09-09, 06:26 PM
Oh geez....I just started an A Rod support thread in the Sports Bar. Mods, if you want to merge, please do. Sorry....I thought I'd get crucified if I started an A Rod support thread in the ITL. :o :lol:

montrealer
02-09-09, 06:34 PM
Oh geez....I just started an A Rod support thread in the Sports Bar. Mods, if you want to merge, please do. Sorry....I thought I'd get crucified if I started an A Rod support thread in the ITL. :o :lol:
Can we just tie you up and spank you :D

4bronxbombers
02-09-09, 06:35 PM
Can we just tie you up and spank you :D

You shush Mr. Oh Canada

CT_Bomber
02-09-09, 06:36 PM
Never was a huge fan of the guy, but the media of course blew this way out of proportion because it's the Yankees. I'll support A-Rod, let's hope he has a monster year!

ThePost
02-09-09, 06:36 PM
I support him, I may buy his jersey now

Young Steinbrenner
02-09-09, 06:37 PM
I support A-Rod

Snatch Catch
02-09-09, 06:41 PM
PEDs? Really? Get over it.

The moment he starts raking I think even the most ardent bashers will get over it momentarily...and then revert back to hypocrites again.

YankeeTom
02-09-09, 06:42 PM
Go Alex, put up the numbers. Do it when it counts and everyone will forget this Crap. Say what you want about the man, but he is drawing the whole deal on this. What about the other 100 or so. Steroids or not Alex will be one of the best to ever play this game. Let's just stop the holier than now attitude. We have all done stuff we regret and I'm sure 95% of us or more have never felt the pressure a MLB player feels every night.

The first person who chants any BS when he goes into a slump..... Please leave your Yankee Card at the door.

tdel23
I still continue to support A-Rod

yankee82093
I'm impressed he admitted that he used steroids. I thought for sure he was going to go the denial route. That interview went better than expected. I think people are overestimating the impact of roids on A-Rod anyway. With the Mariners he averaged like 37 homeruns, though in a pitcher's park. In Texas he averaged 52, though in the prime of his career and in a great hitter's park. In New York, he's in the middle of the two.

Zac
02-09-09, 06:48 PM
I fully support ARod.

Alex, be a monster this season to shut up the haters!

Kickyt
02-09-09, 06:49 PM
I support him too. He came across as very credible.....He is a part of "the culture" that was active not just in baseball but in all sports...I'll be cheering loudly for him on Opening Day.

bcom33
02-09-09, 06:49 PM
I just listened to the Gammons interview, and I feel that he was really telling the truth and getting everything off of his chest. He knows that he will never be viewed as the semi-God of baseball that he was viewed as before, but he still wants to do his best.

I do not like that he said that it was "pretty accurate" that he was only taking roids between 2001-03...but I choose to believe that he wasn't roided up as a Yankee.

I think as others have suggested in the thread, that I will give him a standing ovation in his first at bat in the New Yankee Stadium. I hope the majority of fans choose to do the same. In a way, I feel this may help Yankees' fans view of A-Rod to improve. He was always viewed sort of as an inhuman hitting machine, who was just a mercenary player brought in because we were the highest bidder. Now...he's got issues. And New Yorkers love a guy that can battle through issues and come out the right way on the other side. Now that Alex has come down to the human level, and he's just as much of a screw-up as any of the rest of us, maybe we'll be able to accept him more as a New York kind of guy.

YanksFanTillDeath
02-09-09, 06:56 PM
what is funny about all this is that he finally might be accepted by some yankee fans....

YESSIR!
02-09-09, 07:00 PM
No, seriously. It's time to galvanize behind our player and our team, and move forward to #27.

Doubleday
02-09-09, 07:04 PM
He definitely said all the right things in his interview on ESPN. He messed up, but nothing can change that now - it is what it is. If he can perform this year in the season and the post-season it will be a big step (in my eyes) to redemption.

Should he get into the Hall of Fame? Only time will tell at this point.

BobbyMeacham's glove
02-09-09, 07:06 PM
The simple fact that all the Yankee haters are going to be even more ramped up than they already are and on their moral high horses, should give Yankee fans cause to rally around him even more. Players like Posada & Jeter saying they support him will make fans cheer for him.

The Q Bomb
02-09-09, 07:18 PM
I deplore A-Rod's steroid usage, however I do support him - and not just because he's a Yankee, but because he's a Yankee who plays the game hard, works hard, always showed intensity and joy in the game (until it seems like it was finally beaten out of him by New York in 2006) and has really been a good citizen (as far as the game is concerned) until his steroid use was revealed.

Using steroids takes away the "good citizen" label, however, when considered in the context of the entire roster of MLB players who have likely also used steroids (many, pitchers against whom A-Rod competed) - it gives the offense a less dramatic impact, IMHO. America loves a redemption story - but only if they can feel superior to the person who has been redeemed. They love Darryl Strawberry because he's the poor little slum kid who made good, fell down, and now picked himself back up. Alex, because of his awkward personality and seemingly high opinion of himself, is disliked and will most likely receive no support from anyone other than Yankee fans (and his friends and family). He has my support.

tkl
02-09-09, 07:18 PM
The Yankees win as a team. I am Yankees fan. As long as Alex is with the Yankees, I will support him. My Mom says the same thing, she's turning 84 this year and she would love to see them get the 27th championship.

Messerwhitescooter
02-09-09, 07:19 PM
Nothing will prevent boos like timely hits with runners on base. Go A-Rod!

Rocketbooster
02-09-09, 07:21 PM
I just listened to the Gammons interview, and I feel that he was really telling the truth and getting everything off of his chest. He knows that he will never be viewed as the semi-God of baseball that he was viewed as before, but he still wants to do his best.

I do not like that he said that it was "pretty accurate" that he was only taking roids between 2001-03...but I choose to believe that he wasn't roided up as a Yankee.

I think as others have suggested in the thread, that I will give him a standing ovation in his first at bat in the New Yankee Stadium. I hope the majority of fans choose to do the same. In a way, I feel this may help Yankees' fans view of A-Rod to improve. He was always viewed sort of as an inhuman hitting machine, who was just a mercenary player brought in because we were the highest bidder. Now...he's got issues. And New Yorkers love a guy that can battle through issues and come out the right way on the other side. Now that Alex has come down to the human level, and he's just as much of a screw-up as any of the rest of us, maybe we'll be able to accept him more as a New York kind of guy.

I agree. I was busy with work, so I've only caught snippets, but I have to credit Alex for admitting his steroid usage.....and for years beyond what he was caught for. I said before the interview that all Alex had to do was appear genuine in his apology - not to put up a false front, but to show that he IS upset about this, that it does bother him. I don't know why it would take something like this to make people sympathize with him, but I do think the better angels of peoples natures don't like to kick someone when they are down. I mean, after you apologize (and are sincere - not phony at all), where else is there to go? It would be mean-spirited to beat a dead horse .......The fact that he is insecure and has issues? That just shows that he is no different than anyone else, despite his $$$ and great talent. I like Alex, perhaps because he does have issues.......he's flawed, but so are we all.

I can't cheer his use of steroids - it's really a shame that he chose this road, for whatever reason - but I will absolutely support him.

My only question - I've heard that he ripped into Selena Roberts (good for him, by the way. Mostly, celebs are expected to just sit there and take the abuse from these snoopers). Will this be a problem for Alex?

Yanks4eva1
02-09-09, 07:22 PM
Frankly, I'm sick of him, but if he could just shut up, hit the ball, play a good defense and make a meaningful contribution in the postseason, he will have my gratitude as a dedicated Yankee fan.

Dee

teknetic
02-09-09, 07:24 PM
His legacy may be tainted, and while that sucks for him, I just want this team to win.

This team is gonna be a monster and without him, they're hosed.

Norge
02-09-09, 07:25 PM
Alex apologized. I accept.

YankeesMVPDJ2
02-09-09, 07:33 PM
This just proves what I have said all along, steroids don't make you a great player. Even without 'roids A-Rod was the best in the game, is his greatness tarnished to me? No way. I played colege baseball, I know guys that did them, the better players were always better, with or without.

TheGameEpisode2
02-09-09, 07:35 PM
I Believe in Alex Rodriguez.

JCAD522
02-09-09, 07:36 PM
I hope he continues on with his great career. I will always support him

NYIndian2005
02-09-09, 07:44 PM
I have never heard Alex talk as much as he did in the interview with Gammons. He seemed sincere in his apology. He admitted his guilt which is lot more than can be said of some of the others involved. And I bet none of the other 103 is going to come out and admit anything on their own. He's still a yankee and I will support him.

CoyoteYankee
02-09-09, 07:45 PM
I hope he has a kick ass year!

Young Steinbrenner
02-09-09, 07:47 PM
Nothing will prevent boos like timely hits with runners on base. Go A-Rod!

DAMN RIGHT !! Go A-Rod !!

DaSh 1s
02-09-09, 07:51 PM
Never was a huge fan of the guy, but the media of course blew this way out of proportion because it's the Yankees. I'll support A-Rod, let's hope he has a monster year!

No they blew it out of proportion because he is the future HR king?

Hobbes40
02-09-09, 07:57 PM
Here's to 9 more years, and hopefully 9 rings.

1FastClown
02-09-09, 08:01 PM
Good to see this thread; I back Arod 100%

sabermet prospectus
02-09-09, 08:13 PM
I support the guy 100 percent. He is by far the most unfairly hated guy ever.

I mean I just saw a photo slide show of his so called "many controversies" and none of them are controversies at all except for the roid thing.

I mean one of the controversies was actually listed as "Despite being mvp in 05 many yankees fans said his hits were all meaningless" I mean give me a break. And a bunch of other stuff about the wbc and garbage like that.

Lets be honest the media has had a hard on for Alex for years for basically no reason.

I mean francessa today said this "Arod being so great and having no endorsments shows you hes not the type of guy you want to get behind " Um what exactly did Arod do before this roid thing ? Nothing. The biggest gripe about him is hes a phony. Big F in deal.

I support this guy all the way not just because hes on the Yanks but because hes so hated on. Every little thing this guy does is overanalyzed to death, nothing he does is ever right and he "Always makes the wrong descion" no matter what the descion according to these fools.

I mean another thing I can think of was the whole "Ha" incident, they treated Arod like he was an axe murderer or something.

sabermet prospectus
02-09-09, 08:13 PM
No they blew it out of proportion because he is the future HR king?
And because they just hate Arod in general because theyre jealous.

hardrain
02-09-09, 08:14 PM
Sure I support him...but he's taking years off my life....

TheHugeUnit2
02-09-09, 08:16 PM
I've cheated on tests, board games, even bowling. Everyone's cheated in something, some in big things and some in smaller things but its all still cheating. I don't feel bad about it and I 100% support A-Rod.

sabermet prospectus
02-09-09, 08:17 PM
I've cheated on tests, board games, even bowling. Everyone's cheated in something, some in big things and some in smaller things but its all still cheating. I don't feel bad about it and I 100% support A-Rod.
Ha I couldnt agree more. I mean I hate to say it but these people throw around the word cheater and liar as if its rapist and murderer.

Who the hell cares that he lied to Katie Coric, I mean seriously.

False1
02-09-09, 08:19 PM
I'm in. A-Rod needs to blow up this year.

heyabbott
02-09-09, 08:26 PM
ARod's a Yankee, that's all that matters to me. The past is the past and there's testing in place.
Maybe this will make ARod more of a team first player, which might even make him a better individual player

yankees246
02-09-09, 08:27 PM
I support him all the way and will cheer for him to do well. I just hope there is nothing more to tell. Go ARod and the Yankees.

DrNick
02-09-09, 08:33 PM
Alex has my full support. Always has, always will.

JfromJersey
02-09-09, 08:54 PM
Really though..how can you support the Yankees and not support their top player? He's going to get enough grief from opposing fans in every ballpark the Yankees visit this year. I think he's going to need the support of Yankee fans this year, more than he's ever needed it before. We don't have to condone what he did 6 years ago, but we have to support him as I know all his teammates will.

njdhockey
02-09-09, 09:18 PM
I've made it no secret that I don't like the guy. However, I hope he does well for the Yankees sake. If he can have a solid year and more importantly, contribute in the post season towards winning a world series title (hopefully a few over the next 9 years), all will be forgiven in my book.

This steroid thing doesn't bother me a ton since its such a wide spread problem that there are probably a lot of other super stars that have used that we may never even know about that have used. It has happened in every clubhouse so I am not going to over react and crucify him like the media. I am disappointed but overall, its not the reason I dislike him. I just want him to perform in the post season and make the Yankees a winner again.

ArodMVP217
02-09-09, 09:30 PM
This is easily the best Yankee team he has been with with a promising farm. we are bound to get back to the promised land soon.

I do support Alex

DEADSOX
02-09-09, 09:32 PM
I hope Arod makes his 07 season look bad this year. He just needs to think of Ms. Roberts everytime that ball is coming towards his bat and he'll do it.

JeterForPresident
02-09-09, 09:33 PM
I hope Arod makes his 07 season look bad this year. He just needs to think of Ms. Roberts everytime that ball is coming towards his bat and he'll do it.

In that case, I feel really bad for that HD monitor in CF. It's a shame really.

Blazer
02-09-09, 09:55 PM
ARod has my full support. He's a Yankee!

gold23
02-09-09, 10:01 PM
Interestingly....and he had no choice but to do what he did today.....I like him more now than I did last week.

Hitman23
02-09-09, 10:02 PM
Count me in as an A-Rod supporter. I always have and I always will. Despite how a player gets smeared in the media, I refuse to buy into it. A-Rod has my respect and my full support.

Rocketbooster
02-09-09, 10:03 PM
I support the guy 100 percent. He is by far the most unfairly hated guy ever.

I mean I just saw a photo slide show of his so called "many controversies" and none of them are controversies at all except for the roid thing.

I mean one of the controversies was actually listed as "Despite being mvp in 05 many yankees fans said his hits were all meaningless" I mean give me a break. And a bunch of other stuff about the wbc and garbage like that.

Lets be honest the media has had a hard on for Alex for years for basically no reason.

I mean francessa today said this "Arod being so great and having no endorsments shows you hes not the type of guy you want to get behind " Um what exactly did Arod do before this roid thing ? Nothing. The biggest gripe about him is hes a phony. Big F in deal.

I support this guy all the way not just because hes on the Yanks but because hes so hated on. Every little thing this guy does is overanalyzed to death, nothing he does is ever right and he "Always makes the wrong descion" no matter what the descion according to these fools.

I mean another thing I can think of was the whole "Ha" incident, they treated Arod like he was an axe murderer or something.

Pete Abraham posted a shot of an A-Roid shirt on his blog - it made me sick.

LOL at Francesca. Seriously - since when do people rely on advertising agencies determine the character of a person? Sponsors basically want pure-as-the-driven-snow celebs to endorse their products - they don't want human beings. I don't give a rat's patootie about endorsements - it's the least important thing in the world (or one of).

Rocketbooster
02-09-09, 10:05 PM
Sure I support him...but he's taking years off my life....

he's taking my sleep and leisure time away from me, lol. In order to not have pages and pages to catch up on, I stay on the computer until past midnight (this weekend, I was on the computer all day).

I need a break, lol

Young Steinbrenner
02-09-09, 10:23 PM
I support A-Rod or else why the hell did I buy an autographed A-Rod baseball for $84.99?

GO A-ROD wooooo 763 763 763!

Michaels07
02-09-09, 10:27 PM
I support steroids and Alex Rodriguez

Steroids is a non event it does abaolutely nothing to allow you to crush a baseball, its all in the mind.

Michaels07
02-09-09, 10:29 PM
I think that Serena Roberts a DYKE or just an ugly old maid

Tennessee Yankee
02-09-09, 10:37 PM
Steroids is a non event it does abaolutely nothing to allow you to crush a baseball, its all in the mind.

I'll disagree, it works more than the mind...

A-Rod is the man and I am proud that he "Faced the Music."

Hitman23
02-09-09, 10:45 PM
Today's cover on the post was completely uncalled for.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/02092009/img/front020909.jpg

4bronxbombers
02-09-09, 10:46 PM

Man, they really outdid themselves with that one. Jerks. I can just imagine what tomorrow will bring. :mad:

ericns1
02-09-09, 10:51 PM
Good interview - A-Rod made mistakes and who knows that might not be the whole story but he is trying and lets go forward - there is no other choice anyway.

NewEraYanks2527
02-09-09, 10:52 PM
While I certainly don't support him using steroids, I support him as a man and as a Yankee.

I'm right there with you.

Snatch Catch
02-09-09, 10:59 PM

Well, my Monmouth brethren, it was good while it lasted.

BxBomber44
02-09-09, 11:08 PM

How can they get away with that.

Young Steinbrenner
02-09-09, 11:13 PM

LOL:D

Crash Davis
02-09-09, 11:17 PM
This City loves a comeback....I'm pretty sure we embraced Gooden, Strawberry, and even the Knicks embraced Sprewell after the choke-hold attack.
Alex is going to erupt this season. Watch out.

Panamaniac42
02-09-09, 11:31 PM
Man, they really outdid themselves with that one. Jerks. I can just imagine what tomorrow will bring. :mad:

Still doesn't top this ridiculous cover.

God I hate the Post.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/59/163620299_ae31748922.jpg

Panamaniac42
02-09-09, 11:32 PM
Good article from Doug Glanville:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/09/opinion/09glanville.html?_r=2&ref=opinion

As the bad news spread that A-Rod had tested positive for steroids in 2003, my phone started ringing, and it didn’t stop the rest of the day. Not only was I Alex’s teammate then, but I was a member of the Executive Subcommittee of the Players Association, and closely involved in working on the drug policy.

The first question I was asked in every interview was, “What did you think when your first heard the news?”

My first thought was not really about Alex Rodriguez. It was about what I had come to understand about the drug test in 2003, that the results were not only supposed to be confidential but anonymous.

So how did people get access to these records? And how can they just put the information out there for the world to see?

Therein lies the bigger problem.

I understood that when the federal government was looking for evidence in the BALCO investigation it might tread on players’ toes at some point. It seemed like all of baseball had become guilty by association once Ken Caminiti alleged that 50 percent of the major league players were on steroids. Or maybe the feds would be looking to catch players like Barry Bonds or Jason Giambi. The union and the league both knew that keeping these results privileged would be difficult. But for not one but four anonymous sources to leak this information, as is apparently the case with A-Rod, is unfathomable.

DEADSOX
02-09-09, 11:35 PM
Still doesn't top this ridiculous cover.

God I hate the Post.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/59/163620299_ae31748922.jpg

Woah! They published something like that and got away with it?!?

Panamaniac42
02-09-09, 11:36 PM
Woah! They published something like that and got away with it?!? Isn't that f*ckin' insane?

YankeeSteel
02-09-09, 11:43 PM
I'm not an A-Rod Fan, but I'm glad he came clean... god bless him and lets play ball.

Jglaubman
02-09-09, 11:59 PM

Holy crap! That pisses me off.

NYYRules#1
02-10-09, 12:01 AM
I haven't commented on this entire story yet, simply because I've been waiting to hear what A-Rod would say.

I still support him. I still support him 100%. What he did was wrong, and there is absolutely no excuse for it. I have full faith that he recognizes that, and I'm glad he admitted to it and apologized for it.

Looking at baseball in that late-90's/early 2000's era, it's become really obvious that the problem was not so much individual players cheating, as it was a culture of PED usage in baseball, and players feeling that they were necessary in order to maintain an edge on the competition. It was not so much that players using PEDs were getting ahead, as it was players that weren't using PEDs risked falling behind, it seems to me. That doesn't justify PED usage, but I don't think using them makes a player a horrible villain, or a disgusting cheater. I'm hoping fans start seeing PED usage as such - not just a couple of players trying to break records by becoming insanely huge, but something so widespread that it likely became the norm to use PEDs, not the exception. It doesn't absolve former users of what they did, nor does it make it right in any sense, but I honestly don't believe it was the high crime people once saw it as.

Also, there are varying degrees of PED usage. You have guys like McGwire, Sosa, Bonds, etc., using the most powerful stuff that was illegal to sell in the U.S., never mind any baseball regulations, and then there were the large majority of players who used PEDs that were likely legal (in terms of the law, not in terms of what was permitted by MLB or any other sporting body) and were not nearly as powerful. That's a fact that shouldn't go lost on fans. Not all PED usage is the same beast.

I'm just glad A-Rod came clean about his usage, and didn't try to deny it endlessly a la Bonds and McGwire. I believe him and his apology, honestly. He didn't need to say he used it in 2001 and 2002, but he did. I think he's telling the truth, although if I had to guess, the institution of mandatory testing probably played a role in his stopping of PED usage.

It's time to move on. The guy has spent the overwhelming majority of his career clean. He came forward and admitted he was wrong. Nothing can be done to undo what he or anyone else did in that time, so there's no use in trying to change it or persecuting him for it years after the fact. If we were to persecute every single player who ever tried a PED, and to disown every single accomplishment of theirs, we'd have nothing great to remember as baseball or as Yankee fans from the steroid era. The fact is, if we were to persecute these players and call their accomplishments meaningless, we'd be calling the dynasty we loved so much meaningless as well, since there were certainly steroid users on it (including known ones such as Clemens and Knobby). The fact of the matter is this - we've had guys on our team who have used PEDs, we've had opponents who have used PEDs, and every single fan of baseball can say the same. We can't revise the past - might as well accept it for what it was and realize that, when looking at what happened in that era specifically (not at records such as Bonds' 73 homers, which broke non-steroid era records), many, if not most players used some form of PEDs, and they weren't doing it to cheat so much as they were doing it to stay with the pack.

It's time to support Alex Rodriguez and watch him to continue to be the best player in all of baseball regardless of PED usage, if you ask me. Had he denied it and tried to make his past look 100% clean, then we'd have something to keep going on about. But he admitted his mistake, owned up to it, and isn't trying to keep up the image of the perfectly clean saint who never touched a PED. And for that, I undoubtedly support him.

HerbieLee20
02-10-09, 12:10 AM

Look at the bright side, that rag's cheaper than Mad Magazine.
And to think that some of us used to spring more $ for Mad, and the Weekly World News for such hilarious Editing!

They are entertainment, really they are.
LOL Gimabi and his Thong ... and one screamed "Panty Waste" summing up the game....
Alfred E lives on...

Jasbro
02-10-09, 12:13 AM
I haven't commented on this entire story yet, simply because I've been waiting to hear what A-Rod would say.

I still support him. I still support him 100%. What he did was wrong, and there is absolutely no excuse for it. I have full faith that he recognizes that, and I'm glad he admitted to it and apologized for it.

Looking at baseball in that late-90's/early 2000's era, it's become really obvious that the problem was not so much individual players cheating, as it was a culture of PED usage in baseball, and players feeling that they were necessary in order to maintain an edge on the competition. It was not so much that players using PEDs were getting ahead, as it was players that weren't using PEDs risked falling behind, it seems to me. That doesn't justify PED usage, but I don't think using them makes a player a horrible villain, or a disgusting cheater. I'm hoping fans start seeing PED usage as such - not just a couple of players trying to break records by becoming insanely huge, but something so widespread that it likely became the norm to use PEDs, not the exception. It doesn't absolve former users of what they did, nor does it make it right in any sense, but I honestly don't believe it was the high crime people once saw it as.

Also, there are varying degrees of PED usage. You have guys like McGwire, Sosa, Bonds, etc., using the most powerful stuff that was illegal to sell in the U.S., never mind any baseball regulations, and then there were the large majority of players who used PEDs that were likely legal (in terms of the law, not in terms of what was permitted by MLB or any other sporting body) and were not nearly as powerful. That's a fact that shouldn't go lost on fans. Not all PED usage is the same beast.

I'm just glad A-Rod came clean about his usage, and didn't try to deny it endlessly a la Bonds and McGwire. I believe him and his apology, honestly. He didn't need to say he used it in 2001 and 2002, but he did. I think he's telling the truth, although if I had to guess, the institution of mandatory testing probably played a role in his stopping of PED usage.

It's time to move on. The guy has spent the overwhelming majority of his career clean. He came forward and admitted he was wrong. Nothing can be done to undo what he or anyone else did in that time, so there's no use in trying to change it or persecuting him for it years after the fact. If we were to persecute every single player who ever tried a PED, and to disown every single accomplishment of theirs, we'd have nothing great to remember as baseball or as Yankee fans from the steroid era. The fact is, if we were to persecute these players and call their accomplishments meaningless, we'd be calling the dynasty we loved so much meaningless as well, since there were certainly steroid users on it (including known ones such as Clemens and Knobby). The fact of the matter is this - we've had guys on our team who have used PEDs, we've had opponents who have used PEDs, and every single fan of baseball can say the same. We can't revise the past - might as well accept it for what it was and realize that, when looking at what happened in that era specifically (not at records such as Bonds' 73 homers, which broke non-steroid era records), many, if not most players used some form of PEDs, and they weren't doing it to cheat so much as they were doing it to stay with the pack.

It's time to support Alex Rodriguez and watch him to continue to be the best player in all of baseball regardless of PED usage, if you ask me. Had he denied it and tried to make his past look 100% clean, then we'd have something to keep going on about. But he admitted his mistake, owned up to it, and isn't trying to keep up the image of the perfectly clean saint who never touched a PED. And for that, I undoubtedly support him.

Great post in every way.

DontHateOnNumber2
02-10-09, 12:16 AM
I support Alex Rodriguez as a New York Yankee and a future Hall of Famer, and I have no doubt he'll make up for past transgressions with a very productive regular and postseason. I believe in Alex Rodriguez.

TheYankee
02-10-09, 12:37 AM
Hey, I'm glad he admitted it. Very glad. That doesn't wipe away what he did with me, especially given that he's lied openly about it before. That being said, I still hope he performs well for us. I don't have to like the character of the man to like the ballplayer.

yankeesAZ
02-10-09, 12:55 AM
It's gonna be a tough year for him no matter what. At least he got it out in the open today, even if it was under duress.

He'll get booed loudly on the road, but guess what? That's nothing new.

He did lay it on the line today. He said no PEDs before or after Texas, so if he is lying this time, there will be no way out for him. My gut says he isn't lying about that with such an enormous downside if he was not truthful today.

Nine years is a long time and it may take that long for some fans and sportswriters to cool down. Some may never get over it, but I bet in nine years a lot of people will.

Col. Jacob Ruppert
02-10-09, 01:07 AM
We all make mistakes in our life honestly so far be it for me to judge him for his mistakes. The media reaction to this story(including the back page of the post) is making it very easy to support A-Rod. I will be there on opening day giving him a standing ovation.

Jeter Kid
02-10-09, 01:14 AM
Pete Abe made a good point. He should have some major pressure lifted off his shoulders and shouldn't be worry about anything anymore. Fans perceptions may change, but what does he have to worry about anymore?

I've got $50 on the 09 AL MVP.

27andMore!
02-10-09, 01:41 AM
He's my favorite player in baseball, even though I am disappointed I continue to support him.

Michael K-Y
02-10-09, 01:48 AM
"I support A-Rod"
-A-Rods jock strap

idle spectator guy
02-10-09, 05:56 AM
i support him too after his admission.... he looked like he was really sad about what happened and genuinely sorry.
if i were his agent, however, i would advise him to undergo voluntary periodic drug testing by some independent agency. that way, nodoby can doubt him any more. does that sound like a good idea to anyone?

nyyfanatic85
02-10-09, 06:06 AM
Alex Rodriguez is my favorite player in baseball, hands-down. Between the steroid usage, the breakup with the wife, cheating on her with Madonna, the non-clutch label, and the highest contract in the game, I see a troubled man and want to help even though I know it's not possible. I will be cheering for him so hard this year and hope he can cope.

Is Alex responsible for the above? Yes. Did he put more pressure on himself by demanding the highest contract in the game? Yes. However, even for all his faults Alex is a tremendous ballplayer and a human too...one certainly with faults. I can relate to that.

I agree with what Phillips said last night, how can Alex deal with all this stuff? The stress level must be intense indeed.

NJ Fan
02-10-09, 06:15 AM
:D If you can't be an athlete...be an athletic supporter! :D

bigwampum
02-10-09, 06:37 AM
I hope this puts Alex solidly in the "well, there's no way I can please everybody now" camp, he stops worrying about how every single at-bat will play in the media, and just murders the ball all year long.

Also, if Katie Couric asked me my name, I'd probably lie.

gold23
02-10-09, 06:45 AM
I hope this puts Alex solidly in the "well, there's no way I can please everybody now" camp, he stops worrying about how every single at-bat will play in the media, and just murders the ball all year long.

Also, if Katie Couric asked me my name, I'd probably lie.

I think his mental "FU" to the world in 2007 was a big reason he went off. Personal family issues may have affected him much of last year, but if he can turn this into a "what the heck, screw the world" feeling again I wouldn't be surprised at monster numbers.

YankeeMax
02-10-09, 06:47 AM
I am supporting Alex as our third baseman and our four hitter but I am returning the 13 jersey that my 7 year old wanted. We will cheer when he hats a hit, makes a good defensive stop or throw, but I am having a hard time rooting for the person. (though I think that started with last years all star week. .... No dice on home run derby..... Early exit on the game) I will support, and cheer hard and loud, for his performance as a Yankee. Rooting for the laundry.

NYYFAN
02-10-09, 06:48 AM
I support getting rid of Arod and getting as much as possible for him...

Jilali
02-10-09, 07:02 AM
How does making up a bunch of easily disproved lies about the SI reporter (Selena Roberts) equate to "coming clean." Talk about not being man enough to walk the walk. "She tried to break into my house when my girls were sleeping."

Dude is seriously scummy and delusional.

R.V.47
02-10-09, 07:54 AM
Ive supported this guy through everything since he got traded here. I support him so much that I thought for his own good he shouldve gotten out of here after 07 because he was wasting his time and talent trying to please yankee fans and deserved better.

yankswn23
02-10-09, 08:23 AM
When asked about whether he thought he would be elected in to the hall of fame, I liked his response.."It would be nice, but what I really want is to win a championship."

I support A-Rod I honestly think this man is talented enough to not need steroids and they prob didn't help him much. We will all see what he is capable of doing in the next 9 years. And I think that sample size will show if he is really Hall of fame worthy.

Axon
02-10-09, 09:09 AM
I also support A-Rod in this. Hell, if this story was about David Ortiz, whom I hate, and he came clean and said "I did X during these years, because my major free agent contract year was coming and I was concerned about my numbers, it was stupid" I would support him as well.

I think the fans will cheer A-Rod at home. NY likes a guy who can own up to his mistakes.

On the road? Eh, they would have taunted him over Madonna, now it'll just be steroids.

NYYRules#1
02-10-09, 09:42 AM
When asked about whether he thought he would be elected in to the hall of fame, I liked his response.."It would be nice, but what I really want is to win a championship."

I support A-Rod I honestly think this man is talented enough to not need steroids and they prob didn't help him much. We will all see what he is capable of doing in the next 9 years. And I think that sample size will show if he is really Hall of fame worthy.

Hell, I think everything he did with Seattle and New York up to this point shows he's HoF worthy. He'll only add to that in the next 9 years, I hope.

Mr Coffee
02-10-09, 09:45 AM
Support him?

Hell, I'll get him a GNC gift certificate if it means a few game-winning hits in October.

ksison
02-10-09, 09:59 AM
Support him?

Hell, I'll get him a GNC gift certificate if it means a few game-winning hits in October.

hahaha, you share the same sentiment with Steven A. Smith

Mr Coffee
02-10-09, 10:39 AM
hahaha, you share the same sentiment with Steven A. Smith

Well that's disconcerting.

jnewmark
02-10-09, 11:46 AM
I'll support him as long as he wears the laundry. But I will never be a fan.

RI Dawg
02-10-09, 12:21 PM
I support him in two ways --

1. due to the sole fact that he is wearing a Yankee jersey now
2. I feel sympathetic to him as a person, that due to his success he is scrutinized and judged more so that anyone else who may have been or is in a situation similar to him at this current point in time.

I know the second part comes hand and hand with being a celebrity, but we are humans first and fore most and majority of people are jealous at his celebrity because lets face it they will never make the amount of money he does and those people find it unfair.

PeteRFNY
02-10-09, 12:42 PM

Fantastic post. No one is perfect, and as you pointed out at least he's not making a fool out of himself like Clemens.

swityak11
02-10-09, 12:56 PM
I support Bonds' claim to his records and I'll support ARod's if/when he breaks them.

35Knucklecurve
02-10-09, 01:08 PM

There's no doubt in my mind that even without steroids, he's probably one of the most talented players to put on a MLB uniform. I know he felt he had to prove to the world that he was really the best out there, but with that off the charts megabucks contract he signed with Texas, it was to be expected that he felt he had to justify that much money....but you really can't. 250 million dollars can't be justified for playing a game. However, that's the way our world works right now.

Bonds, Clemens and McGwire did more damage to their legacies by claiming they: (a) didn't know they were taking steroids; (b) completely denying it....in a Congressional hearing and; (c) refusing to even discuss the subject.....in a Congressional hearing - than A-Rod,Petttitte and Giambi (even though Jason never actually mentioned PED's) by facing it.

Medic926
02-10-09, 01:41 PM
I will treat Arod just like I would treat any other yankee who I know is going to show up, put on the uniform, and play his heart out to win. There are Millions of yankee fan haters, yankee players haters, and yankee haters in general who are going to try to crucify him over this. As a true yankee fan we should all be behind him and the team 100%

mitch300
02-10-09, 01:45 PM
I will treat Arod just like I would treat any other yankee who I know is going to show up, put on the uniform, and play his heart out to win. There are Millions of yankee fan haters, yankee players haters, and yankee haters in general who are going to try to crucify him over this. As a true yankee fan we should all be behind him and the team 100%

I agree 100%. I just mentioned on the pole thread why would you pay big money and not want to see your team win. No matter wether you agree with Alex, he is a part of the team and is a BIG part.So if you want the Yankees to do well it is in the best interest to support him.

yankeeman61
02-10-09, 01:48 PM
I support him when he is on the field as a NY Yankee because there is no other choice. That said, he had better find a way to block this out and perform up to his capabilities this year. I don't feel sorry for him at all and exposing other players or deflecting that others used doesn't excuse anything. He deserves the crap he is going to hear this year. That's the consequence he has to live with.

sabermet prospectus
02-10-09, 02:26 PM
Pete Abe made a good point. He should have some major pressure lifted off his shoulders and shouldn't be worry about anything anymore. Fans perceptions may change, but what does he have to worry about anymore?

I've got $50 on the 09 AL MVP.
Do you think the writers would vote for him though ? Theyre such self righteous blowhards.

destro
02-10-09, 02:27 PM
hope for the best, all you can do really.

RhodyYanksFan
02-10-09, 02:55 PM
April 24th will be interesting/scary.

Stache Fan
02-10-09, 03:03 PM
Supporting ARod is the only thing to do. Simply put, it is right. How could I call myself a Yankee fan if I didn't support him? The mere thought of disapproval make me sick. The very idea!

Ynkcpt23
02-10-09, 03:11 PM
I support him when he is on the field as a NY Yankee because there is no other choice. That said, he had better find a way to block this out and perform up to his capabilities this year. I don't feel sorry for him at all and exposing other players or deflecting that others used doesn't excuse anything. He deserves the crap he is going to hear this year. That's the consequence he has to live with.

He already gets more crap than any other Yankee, and now if possible it will be worse. First and foremost I am a Yankee fan and always have been--every Yankee has my support on the field.

teknetic
02-10-09, 03:32 PM
April 24th will be interesting/scary.

Scared of the chowdaheads? why?

PlsDontTearDownY.S.
02-10-09, 03:33 PM
I'm with AROD. Go out there and mash the ball Alex. All the sanctimonious hypocrites jumping on him can go jump in a lake. I doubt that most of them have always been 100% forthright and honest in their personal and work lives either.

YankeePride1967
02-10-09, 03:41 PM
One thing about Alex having to deal with crap as a Yankee, he already has plenty of experience.

grizy
02-10-09, 04:12 PM
I have always been one of those that buy a season ticket (actually I own two) and then only go to maybe 20 games in a given year.

I am going to make a point of making it to the games this year just to applaud ARod for making it onto the field.

Micky Rivers's Bat
02-10-09, 04:36 PM

How is this type of garbage allowed? I thought this site was moderated. This type of language is incredibly sexist and immature.

JfromJersey
02-10-09, 04:48 PM

Who knows? Maybe the next thing we learn is that Osama bin Laden is hiding out in his mansion.

Rocketbooster
02-10-09, 05:05 PM
There's no doubt in my mind that even without steroids, he's probably one of the most talented players to put on a MLB uniform. I know he felt he had to prove to the world that he was really the best out there, but with that off the charts megabucks contract he signed with Texas, it was to be expected that he felt he had to justify that much money....but you really can't. 250 million dollars can't be justified for playing a game. However, that's the way our world works right now.

Bonds, Clemens and McGwire did more damage to their legacies by claiming they: (a) didn't know they were taking steroids; (b) completely denying it....in a Congressional hearing and; (c) refusing to even discuss the subject.....in a Congressional hearing - than A-Rod,Petttitte and Giambi (even though Jason never actually mentioned PED's) by facing it.

And unlike those players, Alex still has a chance to rectify things perhaps repair his reputation. If Alex were released today, and $$$ wasn't an issue, all teams would be crawling over themselves to sign him. In the meantime, Bonds is a free agent (he still hasn't retired) and no one will touch him. I guess this is appropos of nothing, but I find it interesting nonetheless

ManilaYankee
02-10-09, 05:07 PM
I'm a little late in this thread but I just wanna express my utmost support in A-Rod.

Here's to a monster season this 2009! A-Rod - MVP!

CapeFriar
02-10-09, 05:44 PM
This thread has 5 pages in 24hrs...the ARod tested positive thread had 65 pages in 24hrs.

At any rate...I do feel sorry for this guy and I hope that he can straighten out whatever issues he has and move forward to help us get 27.

gregzzy22
02-10-09, 05:56 PM
I got over this whole thing 5 minutes after ESPN broke the story because after the initial shock, I remembered he is going to be a Yankee for the next decade and will be a vital part of the team each and ever year.

All I care about is winning a Championship. Thats it. I hope thats all he cares about too and goes and and mashes the ball this year.

Young Steinbrenner
02-10-09, 09:23 PM
There are Millions of yankee fan haters, yankee players haters, and yankee haters in general who are going to try to crucify him over this. As a true yankee fan we should all be behind him and the team 100%

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

Jasbro
02-10-09, 10:48 PM
Anybody else just see Alex's appearance on Letterman?!?

HILARIOUS -- and just the kind of thing he needed to do, even though I didn't think he had it in him! He's going to be OK.

edit: Unless Letterman pulled old ARod tape from a previous appearance...

edit2: It was an old clip. Oh, well.

LIYanks
02-11-09, 12:03 AM
I will support A-Rod as long as he plays for the New York Yankees.

Young Steinbrenner
02-11-09, 12:36 PM
Prior to Texas, I really had -- at that time in Seattle, I had never even heard of a player taking a substance, a steroid of any kind in my Seattle days. I mean, I know this lady from Sports Illustrated, Selena Roberts, is trying to throw things out there that in high school I tried steroids. I mean, that's the biggest bunch of baloney I've ever heard in my life.

I mean, what makes me upset is that Sports Illustrated pays this lady, Selena Roberts, to stalk me. This lady has been thrown out of my apartment in New York City. This lady has five days ago just been thrown out of the University of Miami police for trespassing. And four days ago she tried to break into my house where my girls are up there sleeping, and got cited by the Miami Beach police. I have the paper here. This lady is coming out with all these allegations, all these lies because she's writing an article for Sports Illustrated and she's coming out with a book in May.

Really respectable journalists are following this lady off the cliff and following her lead. And that, to me, is unfortunate.

WATCH THE ESPN INTERVIEW

Those are his own words, and listen to the worry & the tone in his voice when he says the text (part I made bold)....when he mentions the book coming out in May his voice is shaking....he sounds so nervous I feel bad for him.

THE BOOK IS A PROBLEM. ALEX NEEDS ALL OF OUR SUPPORT.

Rocketbooster
02-11-09, 05:06 PM
The idea of this book makes me physically ill. I don't know what other stuff she has on A-Rod (I don't care to know about what he does in his private life, so I'd like to think most people would feel dirty just reading what Roberts has to say. No one wants their innermost life being outed), but Alex is going to need the support of his teammates more than ever. The book worries me more than this steroid mess does.

Young Steinbrenner
02-11-09, 08:55 PM
The idea of this book makes me physically ill. I don't know what other stuff she has on A-Rod (I don't care to know about what he does in his private life, so I'd like to think most people would feel dirty just reading what Roberts has to say. No one wants their innermost life being outed), but Alex is going to need the support of his teammates more than ever. The book worries me more than this steroid mess does.

I forgive him for the steroids I just worry about the book also, I just hope A-Rod can ignore it.

NYIndian2005
02-11-09, 10:45 PM
Tex supports ARod

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090211&content_id=3818368&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

I know he's going through a rough time right now, and I think his apology said it all," Teixeira said. "He's disappointed in himself, he made a mistake and we're all going to move on ... I'm just going to open up my arms, give him a big hug, tell him I love him and we're going to get through this."

WebsterMulligan
02-11-09, 10:58 PM

I completely agree.

It takes a man to admit his mistakes. He has my full support.

Rocketbooster
02-11-09, 11:32 PM
Tex supports ARod

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090211&content_id=3818368&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

I know he's going through a rough time right now, and I think his apology said it all," Teixeira said. "He's disappointed in himself, he made a mistake and we're all going to move on ... I'm just going to open up my arms, give him a big hug, tell him I love him and we're going to get through this."

I posted this in another thread, but as far as I'm concerned, the more the merrier. This is such a wonderful quote. The last real crush I had on a Yankee was Tino - I think I have a new one, lol. Alex is going to need all the friends he can get

Sheffield
02-11-09, 11:39 PM
This thread is a great idea... thanks! This goes along the lines of the "Refuse to Boo" campaign.

Yogi3
02-12-09, 10:03 AM
I support him 100%, two minute Standing ovation on his first at bat..

LETS GO YANKS !!!!

This goes for me too. Maybe Babe Ruth was on drugs. I don't know. I just want to see Yankees baseball.

oneill96
02-12-09, 10:33 AM
I am not your biggest fan Arod. I have to admit that you haven't been very good in the clutch or for our clubhouse.

BUT .....what they are doing to you in Sports Illustrated is a disgrace. You have my total support in this Cooperstown Witch Hunt. And you have no reason to feel guilty on your way to the record books!!

Macklew
02-12-09, 11:07 AM
Tell me, who gives a s**t? Do we really know what the ""clean old timers" took? How much testing was done then? Gimmie a break. Besides I thought Testosterone was a sex stimulous and strengthened you for that activity. I thought about trying that a few years ago myself but couldn't afford it. And these hypocrits in congress complaining, What a sham.. The lowest rated organization ever in this country. Maybe they should take a few steroids themselves and quit hammering us with their fat hog bills. What they are doing to this country makes what A-Rod and others are doing look like a game of marbles.

Call your next case.

ajra21
02-12-09, 11:23 AM
i condemn a-rod for what he did but i'll continue to support him as long as he's a yankee.

Retire21
02-12-09, 11:25 AM
My support consists of this: Shut up and play.

YanksFanTillDeath
02-13-09, 08:02 PM
45 Second standing ovation in Miami,
Like I said it will be 2 minutes in NY...

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ap-rodriguez-miami&prov=ap&type=lgns

yankeeman61
02-13-09, 08:15 PM
I am not your biggest fan Arod. I have to admit that you haven't been very good in the clutch or for our clubhouse.

BUT .....what they are doing to you in Sports Illustrated is a disgrace. You have my total support in this Cooperstown Witch Hunt. And you have no reason to feel guilty on your way to the record books!!

I was with you until the bolded sentence. Whatever record he breaks it will be tainted. For that, he should feel guilty especially since records are important to baseball fans as well as A-Rod. No apology can make his decision to use go away. He ruined things for himself just like many others when most thought he was different.

The Q Bomb
02-13-09, 08:24 PM

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ap-rodriguez-miami&prov=ap&type=lgns Nice story. Nice to see the way A-Rod handled that appearance. Maybe we don't have to worry as much as we think we do. I posted in the "Steroid Thread" that I hope A-Rod takes control of things on Tuesday. I hope he addresses the media, acknowledges what a big story this is; what a disaster it is for him personally; how he knows it will change how his career will be viewed and acknowledge how much that hurts because it is important to him - and then say that he will answer what questions he can (and feels like) answering on Tuesday, but that's it - he will not continue to answer the same questions, day after day after day. Tell the press, I want to move on and continue working to be the best player I can be. I hope you understand. If not - too bad. PERIOD. END OF SENTENCE.

Again, from the article posted here, it looks like he did a nice job at that dedication ceremony.

Rocketbooster
02-13-09, 08:44 PM
Nice story. Nice to see the way A-Rod handled that appearance. Maybe we don't have to worry as much as we think we do. I posted in the "Steroid Thread" that I hope A-Rod takes control of things on Tuesday. I hope he addresses the media, acknowledges what a big story this is; what a disaster it is for him personally; how he knows it will change how his career will be viewed and acknowledge how much that hurts because it is important to him - and then say that he will answer what questions he can (and feels like) answering on Tuesday, but that's it - he will not continue to answer the same questions, day after day after day. Tell the press, I want to move on and continue working to be the best player I can be. I hope you understand. If not - too bad. PERIOD. END OF SENTENCE.

Again, from the article posted here, it looks like he did a nice job at that dedication ceremony.

That was a good job by Alex - at least he's not hiding. I really liked your post in the steroid thread, Q. I said before his interview with Gammons that he should not pretend that he doesn't care - when of course he does. Anyone in his position would be upset - I think that most people almost automatically empathize with someone when they sense sincere, genuine emotion. I know I do - I didn't watch the video of Tejada speaking because I feel uncomfortable when someone gets that emotional on camera; it makes me feel badly for that person, even if he/she did something wrong.

The Q Bomb
02-13-09, 08:57 PM
...I feel uncomfortable when someone gets that emotional on camera; it makes me feel badly for that person, even if he/she did something wrong. I'm the same way - I don't relish other people's misery, even those who I don't like. (An exception might be if I saw Bud Selig put in an "uncomfortable" situation!) That's what I don't understand about the media. I understand that they have a job to do. I understand that scandals and exposes sell; but they take things beyond reporting, exposing, and revealing, to a point where they seem to relish human misery - whether it's reporting on some horrific murder and asking the family "how they feel" or showing the faces of folks who lose a competition, the chance to win an award, or lose loved one. If a person's anguish, shame, heartbreak, or misery can be exposed and exploited for ratings, readership, or Pulitzer prizes - it is. And the thing is - there is a very big audience for it. Really too bad.

Rocketbooster
02-13-09, 10:57 PM
I'm the same way - I don't relish other people's misery, even those who I don't like. (An exception might be if I saw Bud Selig put in an "uncomfortable" situation!) That's what I don't understand about the media. I understand that they have a job to do. I understand that scandals and exposes sell; but they take things beyond reporting, exposing, and revealing, to a point where they seem to relish human misery - whether it's reporting on some horrific murder and asking the family "how they feel" or showing the faces of folks who lose a competition, the chance to win an award, or lose loved one. If a person's anguish, shame, heartbreak, or misery can be exposed and exploited for ratings, readership, or Pulitzer prizes - it is. And the thing is - there is a very big audience for it. Really too bad.

I can't stand it when, hours after a tragic death, the press sticks their mikes in survivors' faces......and those people are too polite to refuse to say anything. Somewhere along the way, these mediots lost their humanity........

Dr. Gonzo
02-13-09, 11:41 PM
I was with you until the bolded sentence. Whatever record he breaks it will be tainted. For that, he should feel guilty especially since records are important to baseball fans as well as A-Rod. No apology can make his decision to use go away. He ruined things for himself just like many others when most thought he was different.I disagree, if you and I did roids we still couldn't hit ML pitching.

and maybe arod takes the role of brand ambassador to admitting what happened and that it should be fixed. He could if he PR team is smart turn himself into the man who knows how bad it is and helped changed people against it. It is the smart play and could actually enhance is legacy in a different light, maybe not the homerun record or just that record but the great player who stood up against steroids in the end when no one else had the balls to do so. Sorry I work in advertising and PR and that is how I would spin this f.

and don't forget he helped the kids, you always have to throw that one in there.

Personally I could care less if he did steroids it is his life and his career, I hope he just performs. But a lot of what I have seen seems very similar to what I hear in meetings on a day to day basis. It is contrived, planned out, tested, and designed to make sure it gets the most conversions to what we are selling, and in this case it is sympathy for arod.

Luvtino
02-14-09, 01:37 AM
I support Arod. He's a Yankee and I hope he has an amazing year and helps our team to a WS ring. I want it so bad this year I can taste it.

chelloveck
02-14-09, 01:39 AM
Apparently photos right before the news broke

http://foro.univision.com/univision/board/message?board.id=elgordoylaflaca&message.id=4933660

Alex having a good time :)

ajra21
02-14-09, 05:33 AM
I support Arod. He's a Yankee and I hope he has an amazing year and helps our team to a WS ring. I want it so bad this year I can taste it.

ditto.

panther55
02-14-09, 07:06 AM
as much as I dont like what he did he is a Yankee for the long haul
So lets Go Yankees and have a great 2009 and win#27

Toronto Pete
02-14-09, 09:27 AM
100 % support.
Let's face it, this is a witch hunt.

If he was a TV or Movie star, everyone would be saying; "how brave to come out and admit it....how courageous", but no, as it's Alex, let's nail him to a cross.....

100% support.........loyalty is a rare thing these days......

Pete

Rocketbooster
02-14-09, 09:35 AM
What a surprise that Alex is getting ripped to pieces about his speech last night.

I honestly think the very best thing he could do would be to ignore the media – just don’t read the papers or listen to sports talk radio. Why should he (or any player) care what these clowns think? These mediots are taking this all too personally, as if Alex killed their pets. I don’t like Keith Law, but he nailed it when he compared the behavior of A-Rod and Ray Lewis and the reactions to both by fans and media. It’s a joke. One more piece of advice for Alex – nothing he does (even before this story broke, this was the case) will ever be good enough, so at the press conference, he should just be himself – be human, be genuine. If that doesn’t satisfy the media’s need for a pound of flesh, so be it. It’s a one and done deal…..... Still, every time he hits a HR this season or has a big game, the mediots will question the legitimacy – we’d better be prepared.

ajra21
02-14-09, 11:10 AM
100 % support.
Let's face it, this is a witch hunt.

If he was a TV or Movie star, everyone would be saying; "how brave to come out and admit it....how courageous", but no, as it's Alex, let's nail him to a cross.....

100% support.........loyalty is a rare thing these days......

Pete

that's a good point although there isn't a drug that improves your acting plus he only came out to admit it once it was public knowledge.

PlsDontTearDownY.S.
02-14-09, 01:00 PM

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ap-rodriguez-miami&prov=ap&type=lgns

Nice. I hope Selena Roberts is noticing that her attempts to ruin Alex are not having quite the effect she thought they would. I hope she finds herself reporting on mid-december high school basketball tournaments in Montana when all is said and done.

The Q Bomb
02-14-09, 01:31 PM
that's a good point although there isn't a drug that improves your acting (too bad) plus he only came out to admit it once it was public knowledge. The fact (or supposed fact) that he stopped is enough. Why would somebody come out and publicly acknowledge they did something wrong unless they had to? Yeah, if you had to admit to something to save someone's life, job, save them embarrasement, etc. - yes, but, to admit to something, just for the sake of admitting it? Doesn't make sense. The thing wrongdoers should be most concerned with is correcting the wrong behavior.

ajra21
02-14-09, 04:06 PM
The fact (or supposed fact) that he stopped is enough. Why would somebody come out and publicly acknowledge they did something wrong unless they had to? Yeah, if you had to admit to something to save someone's life, job, save them embarrasement, etc. - yes, but, to admit to something, just for the sake of admitting it? Doesn't make sense. The thing wrongdoers should be most concerned with is correcting the wrong behavior.

i've admitted things in my my life simply because i don't want people thinking as am something i am not.

Meecham4ever
02-14-09, 04:28 PM
I disagree, if you and I did roids we still couldn't hit ML pitching.

and maybe arod takes the role of brand ambassador to admitting what happened and that it should be fixed. He could if he PR team is smart turn himself into the man who knows how bad it is and helped changed people against it. It is the smart play and could actually enhance is legacy in a different light, maybe not the homerun record or just that record but the great player who stood up against steroids in the end when no one else had the balls to do so. Sorry I work in advertising and PR and that is how I would spin this f.

and don't forget he helped the kids, you always have to throw that one in there.

Personally I could care less if he did steroids it is his life and his career, I hope he just performs. But a lot of what I have seen seems very similar to what I hear in meetings on a day to day basis. It is contrived, planned out, tested, and designed to make sure it gets the most conversions to what we are selling, and in this case it is sympathy for arod.

This is the part that kind of eats at me...the idea that this guys can be destroying their future health, turning into a future Lyle Alzado, broken down, crippled, cancer-ridden...and fans only caring that "well, he got that big hit in the Series back in 200?...shame he can't walk anymore...but hell, he's almost 60 now,he's kind of old to be walking around anyway."
Players are right...the fans who chant "you sold out!" to guys who leave their team and opt for free-agency, don't pay the ballplayers bills when he retires, or help them bathe when they're crippled...they have no loyalty to the players, and usually treat them like old horses who can't win the race anymore....
why would a player put himself in harms way for such people?

dabomb2045
02-14-09, 04:31 PM
I love this "he only admitted it cuz he got caught" line people use.

Tell me what person would admit to something they did wrong, if nobody else knew about it? That goes against human nature.

There have been some things I've done in my life that I'm not proud of--mistakes--that I've actually never been caught for....and I'm sure as hell not gonna admit to them...just because...

Meecham4ever
02-14-09, 04:32 PM
What a surprise that Alex is getting ripped to pieces about his speech last night.

I honestly think the very best thing he could do would be to ignore the media – just don’t read the papers or listen to sports talk radio. Why should he (or any player) care what these clowns think? These mediots are taking this all too personally, as if Alex killed their pets. I don’t like Keith Law, but he nailed it when he compared the behavior of A-Rod and Ray Lewis and the reactions to both by fans and media. It’s a joke. One more piece of advice for Alex – nothing he does (even before this story broke, this was the case) will ever be good enough, so at the press conference, he should just be himself – be human, be genuine. If that doesn’t satisfy the media’s need for a pound of flesh, so be it. It’s a one and done deal…..... Still, every time he hits a HR this season or has a big game, the mediots will question the legitimacy – we’d better be prepared.

Raven fans supported Ray Lewis....SF Giant fans supported Barry Bonds.....Yankee fans will support A-rod....hell, I think Buffalo fans would have cheered OJ if he came back and helped them win a Super Bowl....this is not news!

ajra21
02-15-09, 05:03 AM
I love this "he only admitted it cuz he got caught" line people use.

Tell me what person would admit to something they did wrong, if nobody else knew about it? That goes against human nature.

There have been some things I've done in my life that I'm not proud of--mistakes--that I've actually never been caught for....and I'm sure as hell not gonna admit to them...just because...

i've admitted to things even when no one knew because it is simply the right thing to do.

b-ball-lunachick
02-15-09, 09:30 PM
I have a pretty big crush on Teixeira already:

Teixeira told The Atlanta Journal-Constitution yesterday that Rodriguez "has my 100 percent support" despite Rodriguez's admission that he used steroids while with the Rangers. "I know he's going through a rough time right now, and I think his apology said it all," Teixeira said. "He's disappointed in himself, he made a mistake and we're all going to move on ... I'm just going to open up my arms, give him a big hug, tell him I love him and we're going to get through this."

Teixeira, who is expected in Yankees camp next week, was at Georgia Tech, his alma mater, yesterday to announce a $500,000 donation to the baseball program. Teixeira, who has been a player representative for the union, has been a vocal opponent of steroid use during his career.

Still, Teixeira said, "I'm not going to judge anybody. I've never touched steroids or any of those kinds of things - it's something I feel very strongly about - but at the same time I've made mistakes, I'm not perfect, no one's perfect."

http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseball/ny-sptex126032378feb12,0,2746773.story

Rocketbooster
02-15-09, 10:53 PM

I started with my crush the day he had the press conference and after reading that article, it's developed into a full-blown CRUSH. He'll be another in the long line of heroes at 1B for me.......Donnie (no one will ever take his place), Tino and Tex.....nice lineage.

Willie06
02-16-09, 01:33 AM
My support consists of this: Shut up and play.
:clap:Exactly!

ajra21
02-16-09, 05:47 AM

oh, i thought you only had eyes for me.

:(

b-ball-lunachick
02-17-09, 09:23 AM
oh, i thought you only had eyes for me.

:(
:lol:

I love that so many players are going to be supporting A-Rod today..I love this team - I'm so excited for baseball! :)

BxBomber44
02-17-09, 10:40 AM
For today to be a success, Arod must come off as very genuine, sincere and, essentially, be completely honest. (But not get himself or anyone else is more trouble).

I have class during the interview but I'm hopeful it will go well. Good luck Arod.

Bozidar
02-17-09, 10:42 AM
If Alex Rodriguez sends me a check worth my time I will support him. Beyond that, he's JAY to me.

THEBOSS84
02-17-09, 10:43 AM
I think the entire team should be at the conference today. There is no reason why Burnett should be there but player X (who was in his team last year) should not.

Bozidar
02-17-09, 10:45 AM
I think the entire team should be at the conference today. There is no reason why Burnett should be there but player X (who was in his team last year) should not.What if Burnett is trying to ingratiate himself with the ny media and fans, while player X thinks the whole thing is a bunch of bull................ and is trying to focus on getting ready for baseball? Would that be acceptable?

NYYDragoon
02-17-09, 10:45 AM
I wish he wasn't giving this conference, but I guess he sorta has to. I just want this circus to end and baseball to begin.

THEBOSS84
02-17-09, 10:46 AM
What if Burnett is trying to ingratiate himself with the ny media and fans, while player X thinks the whole thing is a bunch of bull................ and is trying to focus on getting ready for baseball? Would that be acceptable?

No, God forbid player X misses 30 minutes of getting ready for baseball on 2/17. Unacceptable.

Bozidar
02-17-09, 10:48 AM
No, God forbid player X misses 30 minutes of getting ready for baseball on 2/17. Unacceptable.I'm literally laughing out loud right now in how wrapped up fans get. The media really does have us wrapped up pretty tight..

THEBOSS84
02-17-09, 10:49 AM
I'm literally laughing out loud right now in how wrapped up fans get. The media really does have us wrapped up pretty tight..

Okay.

These are teammates who he will be sharing his life with over the course of the next 6 months yet you're laughing that I think they should miss 30 minutes of spring training to show support for him.

EDIT: are you really surprised how wrapped up fans get on a Yankee site about "important" Yankee news?

BxBomber44
02-17-09, 10:53 AM
I wish he wasn't giving this conference, but I guess he sorta has to. I just want this circus to end and baseball to begin.

That won't be for a long time, at least he's not on the US for the WBC, oh wait he'll get bashed for that too when the time comes.

Bozidar
02-17-09, 10:53 AM
Okay.

These are teammates who he will be sharing his life with over the course of the next 6 months yet you're laughing that I think they should miss 30 minutes of spring training to show support for him.They're not partners in a pairs skating competition. No one's going to be holding Arod's jock for him.

If I had my way Arod would be at the conference alone, and his teammates would show their support by focusing on baseball not steroids. How does attendance of what will amount to be a firing squad show support? Are they going to hug him if he starts tearing up a little? Pats on the ass when he gives a good answer?

The other players attendance at this is a FARCE, and the whole thing a distraction that is better left until after practice is over instead of distracting all the players on day 1.

Bozidar
02-17-09, 10:54 AM
EDIT: are you really surprised how wrapped up fans get on a Yankee site about "important" Yankee news?No, i wasn't surprised, but i was laughing.

NYYDragoon
02-17-09, 10:55 AM
They're not partners in a pairs skating competition. No one's going to be holding Arod's jock for him.

If I had my way Arod would be at the conference alone, and his teammates would show their support by focusing on baseball not steroids. How does attendance of what will amount to be a firing squad show support? Are they going to hug him if he starts tearing up a little? Pats on the ass when he gives a good answer?

The other players attendance at this is a FARCE, and the whole thing a distraction that is better left until after practice is over instead of distracting all the players on day 1.Never been on a team before, have you?

Bozidar
02-17-09, 11:01 AM
Never been on a team before, have you?Of course I have. But when my teammate didn't do his homework I didn't stand behind him while his mother yelled at him either.

BxBomber44
02-17-09, 11:01 AM
is my sig too loud, or is it just right?

b-ball-lunachick
02-17-09, 11:02 AM
Boz - why are you sounding so agitated lately? :D Did your wife have that baby yet? :P

THEBOSS84
02-17-09, 11:02 AM
Of course I have. But when my teammate didn't do his homework I didn't stand behind him while his mother yelled at him either.

This is the hardest time A-rod has had in his entire life, next to his divorce. Let's not downplay it.

NYYDragoon
02-17-09, 11:03 AM
Of course I have. But when my teammate didn't do his homework I didn't stand behind him while his mother yelled at him either.What were you on? Math teams? :P

Anyway, your analogy isn't really necessary (nor is it accurate). If a teammate of mine was being grilled by the media over a past event, you can be pretty damn sure that I'd be there on the sidelines. It isn't about holding his jock--it's about showing everyone else that we stand by him. A display of solidarity, you know?

Bozidar
02-17-09, 11:09 AM
Boz - why are you sounding so agitated lately? :D Did your wife have that baby yet? :PI dunno.. i guess maybe i'm just getting old and grumpy like Goose. I think the guy shamed baseball and an artificial press conference show of support seems like bull................ to me.

He doesn't need them at the press conference, it is meaningless. It's in the clubhouse and on the field for the rest of the 2009 season that he's going to need these guys, not at 1:30 in the afternoon in february.

Bozidar
02-17-09, 11:10 AM
This is the hardest time A-rod has had in his entire life, next to his divorce. Let's not downplay it.A-rod brought both of those things down upon himself, let's not downplay that either.

THEBOSS84
02-17-09, 11:12 AM
I dunno.. i guess maybe i'm just getting old and grumpy like Goose. I think the guy shamed baseball and an artificial press conference show of support seems like bull................ to me.

He doesn't need them at the press conference, it is meaningless. It's in the clubhouse and on the field for the rest of the 2009 season that he's going to need these guys, not at 1:30 in the afternoon in february.

I wasn't only saying that A-rod needed his teammates. I was saying that they should be there for him today whether they like him or not, if they're new or old. It's such a simple thing for them to show up, that I can't see why a guy like Bruney would be there but Wang shouldn't (for example).

NYYDragoon
02-17-09, 11:13 AM
He doesn't need them at the press conference, it is meaningless. It's in the clubhouse and on the field for the rest of the 2009 season that he's going to need these guys, not at 1:30 in the afternoon in february.This is just not true.

THEBOSS84
02-17-09, 11:13 AM
A-rod brought both of those things down upon himself, let's not downplay that either.

So what?

Bozidar
02-17-09, 11:15 AM
What were you on? Math teams? :PHmm... an implication that i'm a nerd, and unathletic. I'm guessing you weren't on the debate team, as you obviously can't let your argument stand for itself, you feel the need to be insulting. I'll resist the urge to respond in kind..

Anyway, your analogy isn't really necessary (nor is it accurate). If a teammate of mine was being grilled by the media over a past event, you can be pretty damn sure that I'd be there on the sidelines. It isn't about holding his jock--it's about showing everyone else that we stand by him. A display of solidarity, you know?And I remain adamant that it's nothing but a farce, a show, a performance that in the end is meaningless. A-rod needs their support off the field in the clubhouse, behind closed doors, when the media isn't there to watch.

When was the last time you saw a sports reporter stick a mic in front of some athlete's face and you believed 100% of what came out of their mouth? For me it was Andy Pettitte last year, right about this time, but i find andy to be one of the few exceptions.

All of these guys have their media faces. They're not going to say what they feel in front of a reporter, nor would they dare not show up because then, omg, it'll be a story for weeks that player X and Arod are fueding..

What matters is in the locker room, and on the field.. what happens in front of the media is bull.................

CallOfTheCrow
02-17-09, 11:17 AM
A-rod brought both of those things down upon himself, let's not downplay that either.

You know this for a fact? None of us know what went on inside the Rodriguez house so why pretend like you do?

BxBomber44
02-17-09, 11:18 AM
If i'm Arod, I would like to see my teammates there. And so would all of you who say it's pointless.

OldYankeeFan
02-17-09, 11:19 AM
I dunno.. i guess maybe i'm just getting old and grumpy like Goose. I think the guy shamed baseball and an artificial press conference show of support seems like bull................ to me.

I agree, but I also think they are there to answer any questions after the "official" press conference is over. All the primary players will be there as will ALL the media. Take on all teh questions at one time under the tent and then refuse to answer any further questions in the clubhouse. I think that Jeter already said this was what he was going to do, and I think everyone else will follow his lead.

THEBOSS84
02-17-09, 11:19 AM
You know this for a fact? None of us know what went on inside the Rodriguez house so why pretend like you do?
Yeah, I probably should have said that too.

Bozidar
02-17-09, 11:20 AM
I agree, but I also think they are there to answer any questions after the "official" press conference is over. All the primary players will be there as will ALL the media. Take on all teh questions at one time under the tent and then refuse to answer any further questions in the clubhouse. I think that Jeter already said this was what he was going to do, and I think everyone else will follow his lead.I think that if that was the case, if this were some team strategy then Girardi would have told all the players to show up instead of making it optional.

b-ball-lunachick
02-17-09, 11:20 AM

aww Boz...I noticed it somewhere else too so I thought maybe it was related to that...glad it's not. :D

you seem awfully riled up about A-Rod...it may seem meaningless to you but if he doesn't, he has to address 100 different reporters..I'm sure they will continue to ask him but he can say at least that he addressed it, his team can show support so they don't have to be asked if they support him and move on to some degree...

the way I see it is the guy made a bad mistake - at least he admitted it unlike Clemens..I think the abuse was widespread so it's hare for me to codemn one guy for it....I'm going to root for him just as hard as I did before...

Pettitte crushed me last year -- after that, nobody will surprise me and it won't bother me anymore...what bothers me more is that the few have to take the fall for many others...

NYYDragoon
02-17-09, 11:21 AM
Hmm... an implication that i'm a nerd, and unathletic. I'm guessing you weren't on the debate team, as you obviously can't let your argument stand for itself, you feel the need to be insulting. I'll resist the urge to respond in kind.. Actually, I was making a joke based on the analogy you chose. See the smiley appended to the end of the sentence.

And I remain adamant that it's nothing but a farce, a show, a performance that in the end is meaningless...

What matters is in the locker room, and on the field.. what happens in front of the media is bull.................
Except it's not. Last thing this team needs are headlines that read "Jeter and Rivera don't show up for Rodriguez press conference." Because that would create another plot that will serve as a distraction for the entire season and then some. Like I said, this isn't about holding Alex by the hand. It's to show all the reporters that this team is solid and will stand by each other during these times. What goes on in the locker room isn't caught on camera, so this will have to do.

When was the last time you saw a sports reporter stick a mic in front of some athlete's face and you believed 100% of what came out of their mouth? For me it was Andy Pettitte last year, right about this time, but i find andy to be one of the few exceptions.

I don't see how this is relevant.

Bozidar
02-17-09, 11:23 AM
If i'm Arod, I would like to see my teammates there. And so would all of you who say it's pointless.I dunno.. i find it hard to put myself in the shoes of someone like arod. I guess maybe that's what bugs me the most about this, not that i'd want them there but that i'd be so ashamed that i wouldn't want them there. Maybe that's what's got me honked off right now about Alex.. i just dont belived the shame he's trying to sell us that he feels.

False1
02-17-09, 11:29 AM

He doesn't need them at the press conference, it is meaningless. It's in the clubhouse and on the field for the rest of the 2009 season that he's going to need these guys, not at 1:30 in the afternoon in february.Even if it were meaningless, it's certainly not counterproductive. Why so upset?

I happen to disagree with you though. If their attendance was voluntary I think it will help A-Rod immensely.

Bozidar
02-17-09, 11:30 AM
aww Boz...I noticed it somewhere else too so I thought maybe it was related to that...glad it's not. :D

you seem awfully riled up about A-Rod...it may seem meaningless to you but if he doesn't, he has to address 100 different reporters..I'm sure they will continue to ask him but he can say at least that he addressed it, his team can show support so they don't have to be asked if they support him and move on to some degree...

the way I see it is the guy made a bad mistake - at least he admitted it unlike Clemens..I think the abuse was widespread so it's hare for me to codemn one guy for it....I'm going to root for him just as hard as I did before...

Pettitte crushed me last year -- after that, nobody will surprise me and it won't bother me anymore...what bothers me more is that the few have to take the fall for many others...All is somewhat well at home.. baby's doing great as are the other 2. Finances.. but i think that's rather normal these days.

I really can't put my finger on it, what's bugging me about A-rod. I am glad that he admitted it, though i feel he could have handled the admission better. I do think the press conference itself is a good idea for him, and even a good idea for those people like Jeter who field a lot of questions to show up to, and get it over with. I just dont think the "support" thing really means diddly.

I read that Andy Pettitte didn't look back once at his teammates for support last year. Maybe his faith helped him through it, but I like to think that what really helped him get through it was that he was being open, honest, and sincere about the whole thing. He was putting all the truth out there and letting go of the lies, and that set him free.

Honestly, i'm ready for the season to start, i think Alex is going to help us get to #27, for real, and i'm glad to have him on the team. My personal opinion of him hasn't had an "upward trend" in some time, but i'm not the type that needs the players on my favorite team to be saints and saviors.. But on this topic.. this team-oriented public display of affection.. i dunno.. strikes me as contrived media driven bull................ :)

NYYDragoon
02-17-09, 11:31 AM
I read that Andy Pettitte didn't look back once at his teammates for support last year.

But on this topic.. this team-oriented public display of affection.. This is your problem. You're not interpreting this "support" properly at all.

b-ball-lunachick
02-17-09, 11:50 AM
All is somewhat well at home.. baby's doing great as are the other 2. Finances.. but i think that's rather normal these days.

I really can't put my finger on it, what's bugging me about A-rod. I am glad that he admitted it, though i feel he could have handled the admission better. I do think the press conference itself is a good idea for him, and even a good idea for those people like Jeter who field a lot of questions to show up to, and get it over with. I just dont think the "support" thing really means diddly.

I read that Andy Pettitte didn't look back once at his teammates for support last year. Maybe his faith helped him through it, but I like to think that what really helped him get through it was that he was being open, honest, and sincere about the whole thing. He was putting all the truth out there and letting go of the lies, and that set him free.

Honestly, i'm ready for the season to start, i think Alex is going to help us get to #27, for real, and i'm glad to have him on the team. My personal opinion of him hasn't had an "upward trend" in some time, but i'm not the type that needs the players on my favorite team to be saints and saviors.. But on this topic.. this team-oriented public display of affection.. i dunno.. strikes me as contrived media driven bull................ :)

yeah, a lot of people can sympathize with finances but glad everything else is good..congrats on the new baby! :)

As for A-Rod - I understand why people are disappointed and upset with him..but I'm glad his teammates are supporting him and I don't think it should be mandatory..

Also, rememember that Pettitte didn't tell the entire truth at first either until some more info came out..he also acknowledged his teammates being there - did a quick search and found this:

http://slidingintohome.blogspot.com/2008/02/andy-pettitte-press-conference.html

as Andy Pettitte sat down, he noticed Derek Jeter, Mariano River and Jorge Posada sitting down off to the side.

“Hey, those are my boys over there,” he said to Joe Girardi. “All right.”

It did mean something to Pettitte and I'm sure it will to A-Rod too...as for it being contrived, etc most athlete press conferences are -- sometimes you have to play the game and sometimes you have to say as little as possible...

NYYDragoon
02-17-09, 12:02 PM
5 years ago was his first news conference in pinstripes. My how things change...

Battingly
02-17-09, 12:12 PM
If I was Hank & Hal one of the first things I would do is fire Michael Kay

IMO he's a total ingrate and he still thinks like a sports writer, so if I owned the Yankees I would say we have to unload this guy, not because we want nothing but "YES MEN", but IMO he's an ingrate and a troublemaker with a sports writers mentality, which is why he feels compelled to defend that witch Selena Roberts

JMO

Battingly
02-17-09, 12:16 PM
OBTW, Selena Roberts wants a public apology, but has she ever publicly apologized to those kids from Duke she absolutely slandered and convicted in the press in her vicious columns?

Answer: HELL NO

Bozidar
02-17-09, 12:17 PM
OBTW, Selena Roberts wants a public apology, but has she ever publicly apologized to those kids from Duke she absolutely slandered in her vicious columns?

Answer: HELL NOWhat the hell does this have to do with the Arod Support thread?

Snatch Catch
02-17-09, 12:19 PM
"Have you ever used HGH, Alex?"

"Yes, Mr. Abraham. I switched to it when they implemented the stricter testing in 2004."

R.V.47
02-17-09, 12:21 PM
OBTW, Selena Roberts wants a public apology, but has she ever publicly apologized to those kids from Duke she absolutely slandered and convicted in the press in her vicious columns?

Answer: HELL NO

This woman has 15 minutes of fame and has used up about 12 of them, she needs to go away.

Battingly
02-17-09, 12:24 PM
What the hell does this have to do with the Arod Support thread?I'm pointing out the rank hypocrisy of Selena Roberts and all of her pals in the press (including Michael Kay) who are demanding he publicly apologize to that vicious woman, when she still hasn't apologized to those Duke kids

If her and her friends are going to demand apologies for slander, why doesn't she apologize for using her column at the NY Times as a crusade to slander and convict those kids in the press?

Panamaniac42
02-17-09, 12:28 PM
(the twisted) Part of me wants him to pull a Budd Dwyer and ruin Selena Roberts' life.

silverdsl
02-17-09, 12:37 PM
Please keep this thread on topic. Discussion about members of the media that has nothing to do with supporting A-Rod doesn't belong in this thread.

OldYankeeFan
02-17-09, 12:48 PM
I think that if that was the case, if this were some team strategy then Girardi would have told all the players to show up instead of making it optional.
Just heard that Jeter will answer no questions and hold a press conference tomorrow.

Bub
02-17-09, 12:50 PM
"Have you ever used HGH, Alex?"

"Yes, Mr. Abraham. I switched to it when they implemented the stricter testing in 2004." Was this said in the interview? I thought he admitted to using steriods in 2001-2003?

Battingly
02-17-09, 01:03 PM
Please keep this thread on topic. Discussion about members of the media that has nothing to do with supporting A-Rod doesn't belong in this thread.Oh Okay, in that case "I Support Arod"

YanksFanTillDeath
02-17-09, 01:12 PM
This will be our best Season... Nice saying...

GO AROD !!!!!

35Knucklecurve
02-17-09, 01:14 PM
So far, he's doing a lot better than I thought.

Axon
02-17-09, 01:15 PM
It did mean something to Pettitte and I'm sure it will to A-Rod too...as for it being contrived, etc most athlete press conferences are -- sometimes you have to play the game and sometimes you have to say as little as possible...

Seriously. What press conference isn't contrived?

The bottom line is that the media doesn't want this story to go away. It's just too popular. No matter what he's saying in this conference, no matter how many questions he answers, it won't be enough.

Now, the questions will be about the identity of this cousin he mentioned. How he didn't know what he was taking. Et cetera. Mike Lupica was killing A-Rod today for not going up there alone - for wanting teammates with him! Does that matter? Guys sitting up there not saying anything?

Anyway, if they win this season, the media will go with a redemption angle, particularly if A-Rod plays well in the postseason. The media's collective ego is huge.

Axon
02-17-09, 01:17 PM
If I was Hank & Hal one of the first things I would do is fire Michael Kay

IMO he's a total ingrate and he still thinks like a sports writer, so if I owned the Yankees I would say we have to unload this guy, not because we want nothing but "YES MEN", but IMO he's an ingrate and a troublemaker with a sports writers mentality, which is why he feels compelled to defend that witch Selena Roberts

JMO

Everything sucks Everything sucks Everything sucks Everything sucks Everything sucks Everything sucks Everything sucks Everything sucks

I'm a fat guy who can't play

We need to kill this guy for not talking to the press for talking to the press for kind of talking to the press for giving the press a nasty look for ignoring the press with a nasty look did I mention we're totally objective

BxBomber44
02-17-09, 01:28 PM
1-10 how'd he do, I only caught the tail end?

THEBOSS84
02-17-09, 01:29 PM
I give him a 7.

YankeePride1967
Full support.

NYYDragoon
1-10 how'd he do, I only caught the tail end?I dunno. He said what he needed to say but it was a little awkward. It was enough to move on.

BxBomber44
02-17-09, 01:30 PM
Buster Olney supporting A-Rod...

Bozidar
02-17-09, 01:30 PM
Was this said in the interview? I thought he admitted to using steriods in 2001-2003?i believe he was joking

BxBomber44
02-17-09, 01:33 PM
anyone know all the yanks that were there?

Battingly
02-17-09, 01:34 PM
Full support.Me too, I supported Arod before this press conference and I still support Arod after this press conference

yankeesrule2000
02-17-09, 01:40 PM
anyone know all the yanks that were there?

I saw Damon, Jeter, MO, Posada, Pettitte, and Tex.

BxBomber44
02-17-09, 01:40 PM
I saw Damon, Jeter, MO, Posada, Pettitte, and Tex.

thanks

BxBomber44
02-17-09, 01:42 PM
oh god, espn nitpicking about the ages he listed vs. how old he was in Texas.

yankeesrule2000
02-17-09, 01:47 PM
oh god, espn nitpicking about the ages he listed vs. how old he was in Texas.

Espn sucks. Mlb network won't stop either. He didn't do this right or this. This def isn't going away anytime soon.

bcom33
02-17-09, 01:49 PM
I don't believe Alex ever did steroids. That's what I take away from this. I'm pretty sure I'm right. Thank you, that's all the time I have. No follow-ups please.

djeter220
02-17-09, 03:30 PM
I'm tired of these reporters and the media trying to write the A-Rod biography before it's over.

MEDIA: do you think this taints your 800th home run?
A-Rod: Um, that hasn't happened yet.

Maybe it will come out that he's used as a Yankee, maybe it will come out that he really only used those 36 times. Maybe it will come out that he started in high school. Let the story play out on its own and stop trying to squeeze it out of him.

NewEraYanks2527
02-17-09, 03:41 PM
Meanwhile 103 other players names stay sealed and 103 other players stay quiet knowing they are just as guilty.

All it takes is one big name off of that list, an Ortiz, a Ramirez (who I really doubt ever took any substance) and all of the sudden the media circus has other places to go.

Yes I know it's New York, it's the Yankees and everyone hates the Yankees but us. However this all falling on the shoulders of Alex Rodriguez is still unfair not only to A-Rod but to his team especially members of his team that did not use PEDs.

Go bother the Red Sox if it hasn't all been covered up which I'm sure Bud, Mitchell, and company have already seen to.

Blaze
02-17-09, 03:52 PM
Man o Man, how I wish this guy were never signed by the Yankees. I'm not upset that Arod took steroids, or that he lied about taking steroids. I just know that Arod's too weak minded to deal with all this stuff, not to mention now we don't even know if he gets in the record books when it's all said and done. It's a waste, he's a waste. Don't get me wrong, I'm not gonna boo him. I think it'll be pretty stupid as a Yankee fan to boo this guy because it's not gonna help matters at all. I wish as a Yankee fan and as a Dominican-American I could get behind this guy, but he's proven to be nothing but a head-case.

PlsDontTearDownY.S.
02-17-09, 04:01 PM
he's proven to be nothing but a head-case.

That's it? He's had some huge years for the Yanks.

djeter220
02-17-09, 04:41 PM
Man o Man, how I wish this guy were never signed by the Yankees. I'm not upset that Arod took steroids, or that he lied about taking steroids. I just know that Arod's too weak minded to deal with all this stuff, not to mention now we don't even know if he gets in the record books when it's all said and done. It's a waste, he's a waste. Don't get me wrong, I'm not gonna boo him. I think it'll be pretty stupid as a Yankee fan to boo this guy because it's not gonna help matters at all. I wish as a Yankee fan and as a Dominican-American I could get behind this guy, but he's proven to be nothing but a head-case.

If you can't understand what he can contribute to this team as a now-clean player, then maybe you should stop forming your own opinions and expressing them to other fans, its just embarrassing. I can understand disliking the guy, I'm in the middle with him, but I was devastated when he opted out after '07. If there's one person I want on the Yankees it's A-Rod.

4bronxbombers
02-17-09, 04:44 PM

omg....add me to that list Jeanne. :drool:

4bronxbombers
02-17-09, 04:45 PM
Meanwhile 103 other players names stay sealed and 103 other players stay quiet knowing they are just as guilty.

All it takes is one big name off of that list, an Ortiz, a Ramirez (who I really doubt ever took any substance) and all of the sudden the media circus has other places to go.

Yes I know it's New York, it's the Yankees and everyone hates the Yankees but us. However this all falling on the shoulders of Alex Rodriguez is still unfair not only to A-Rod but to his team especially members of his team that did not use PEDs.

Go bother the Red Sox if it hasn't all been covered up which I'm sure Bud, Mitchell, and company have already seen to.

Great post!