PDA

View Full Version : Poll: would you want A-Rod to retire?

Huktonfonix
02-08-09, 03:42 PM
Pretend that in some crazy fantasy world, A-Rod was so ashamed of the steroid scandal that he decided to retire and leave hundreds of millions on the table rather than deal with the controversy.

Would you want that? Would it benefit the Yankees?

NYYDragoon
02-08-09, 03:44 PM
No, I would not want that. We'd have a massive hole in the lineup that would not be easily repaired.

YanksFan1992
02-08-09, 03:44 PM
Uhh, absolutely, 100 percent no. :wtf:

Steve Dalkowski
02-08-09, 03:45 PM
Absolutely.

:)

fredgmuggs
02-08-09, 03:46 PM
I want him to hit home runs and drive in runs for the Yankees.

I don't have to love the guy to want his stick in the line-up.

cyhughes22
02-08-09, 03:46 PM
No, I'd rather turn him, Brackman, Betances, Jackson and cash into Pujols but then I have an entirely hetero man crush on Albert so I don't know how much my opinion counts.:)

NYYDragoon
02-08-09, 03:47 PM
Absolutely.

:)Quiet, you.

Huktonfonix
02-08-09, 03:47 PM
For the record, as frustrating as the Alex Rodriguez sideshow is, I 100% want him on the team. He's one of the best (probably the best) players in the game, and no matter how absurd his contract is I don't see any way that his production could be replaced.

This poll was meant, in part, to be a reality check on the people who regret the signing/want him traded/gone/etc.

Ynkcpt23
02-08-09, 03:58 PM
For the record, as frustrating as the Alex Rodriguez sideshow is, I 100% want him on the team. He's one of the best (probably the best) players in the game, and no matter how absurd his contract is I don't see any way that his production could be replaced.

This poll was meant, in part, to be a reality check on the people who regret the signing/want him traded/gone/etc.

It's a loaded question, and pretty well put considering how many different perspectives are bound to come out. I consider him to be the most complete baseball player I've ever seen. I want him on my team. I've been thrilled watching him for these few years and I fully expect to enjoy watching him hit bombs out of the new Stadium.

AcidLake
02-08-09, 03:58 PM
as much as I hate see this happening, the man is irreplacable

ppa79
02-08-09, 04:00 PM
Who is gonna play 3rd then?

stephsamps
02-08-09, 04:04 PM
I am probably in the minority, but honestly I would rather he not be on the team. I would prefer that the Yankees could focus on winning vs. whatever Alex's issue du jour is. It's no secret that I haven't been a fan of Alex's personality, but I always did defend his talent. If this is true, it's much harder to do so. And 9 years is a hell of a long time for a distraction. Not to mention the insane money he is getting. We could get a pitcher, CF and 3B for the money he is getting paid.

ppa79
02-08-09, 04:06 PM
. Not to mention the insane money he is getting. We could get a pitcher, CF and 3B for the money he is getting paid.

We can? What CF, 3B, and pitcher could we get for that money? Elite talent doesn't grow on trees.

stephsamps
02-08-09, 04:12 PM
We can? What CF, 3B, and pitcher could we get for that money? Elite talent doesn't grow on trees.

For example - Derek Lowe ($15 mil per year); Casey Blake ($5.3 mil per year); Juan Rivera )$3.25 mil) = $23.75 mil, which is still less than the cost of Alex. While none of them are the "elite" quality of Alex, but I am not sure Alex is as "elite" as he was supposed to be before.

ppa79
02-08-09, 04:16 PM
For example - Derek Lowe ($15 mil per year); Casey Blake ($5.3 mil per year); Juan Rivera )$3.25 mil) = $23.75 mil, which is still less than the cost of Alex. While none of them are the "elite" quality of Alex, but I am not sure Alex is as "elite" as he was supposed to be before.

So you would use Alex's money to get mediocre players? 3 mediocre players doesn't make 1 elite player.

JDPNYY
02-08-09, 04:17 PM
I reserve the right to pass judgement until I read the book.

Bambino22
02-08-09, 04:20 PM
Massive facepalm.

stephsamps
02-08-09, 04:20 PM
So you would use Alex's money to get mediocre players? 3 mediocre players doesn't make 1 elite player.

Perhaps, but one elite player obviously doesn't put a team over the top and it remains to be seen how elite he will be in the face of this distraction. I didn't think he was worth the money before the steroid allegations, so I certainly don't think he is worth the money now and those bonuses are a total joke and will continue to bring this issue up each time he passes another home run great.

4bronxbombers
02-08-09, 04:21 PM
Absolutely.

:)

Hey! :argh:

ppa79
02-08-09, 04:23 PM
Perhaps, but one elite player obviously doesn't put a team over the top and it remains to be seen how elite he will be in the face of this distraction. I didn't think he was worth the money before the steroid allegations, so I certainly don't think he is worth the money now and those bonuses are a total joke and will continue to bring this issue up each time he passes another home run great.

I'm not saying he is worth the money, but if my choice is getting him or 3 mediocre players I get him.

When he steps on the diamond, the distractions go away. Its only off the field this stuff will be a problem.

YankeePride1967
02-08-09, 04:25 PM

Okay, where do we play Rivera? Lowe over who? Pettitte or Burnett? Either way not much of a difference and Blake? If did this, we'll be lucky to finish third.

Rocketbooster
02-08-09, 04:52 PM
My choice wasn't on there.......

I do like Alex, but I don't support his decision to use steroids. That said, I would never want him to retire because of this. He still loves the game - he should keep on playing it. He's going to have to change his mentality, though. Ignore the papers and just concentrate on the game; the diamond is his sanctuary. People, home and road, will roast him. He knows to expect this, so he should just let his natural talent flow. What he needs is tunnel vision. If he retires, he will regret it.

Rocketbooster
02-08-09, 04:55 PM

LOL I agree - that would be HORRIBLE to say the least. I read that and went ...."ugh".

JeffWeaverFan
02-08-09, 04:56 PM
Without him, we are not a playoff team. At least not this year.

yankee82093
02-08-09, 05:19 PM
What does it matter if he retires or not? If he retires his career will still be tarnished and we will be without our 3-time MVP third baseman. As long as he's a cheat I'd rather him still play then not play at all cause retiring would not help anything. Even though all of his distractions and antics are a major negative, I don't think they outweigh his positives on the field.

nnysiny
02-08-09, 05:28 PM
only if the Yankees had a 3B or SS waiting in the wings

Nuke LaLoosh
02-08-09, 05:36 PM
Hate the drama, love the talent. If he can weather the impending storm and play well early, the storm will pass.

Jasbro
02-08-09, 05:38 PM
Nobody in the history of the world walked away from $300mm just because they were embarassed. I don't expect Alex to, either.

dont_ya_know24
02-08-09, 07:18 PM
i just want to hear from a-rod first, this whole situation just doesn't seem right to me.

DaSh 1s
02-08-09, 07:42 PM
I wasn't a firm believer in the fact we were going to sign Tex, but man I couldn't be happier. Imagine if A-Rod was alone this season.

Huktonfonix
02-08-09, 08:00 PM
Pleasantly surprised by the responses here. I think more people would have wanted him gone had I posted this in the summer of 2006 than want him gone now.

SkooterPhil#10
02-08-09, 09:06 PM
Wow.

I grossly underestimated the disconnect with reality re: Arod among yankee fans...

Personally I've wanted him gone on several occasions over the years. Never wanted him to begin with. This isn't even the final nail in the coffin, it borders on irrelevant to my dislike for him.

Jeter Kid
02-08-09, 09:07 PM
Anyone who votes yes should check themselves at the door...

SkooterPhil#10
02-08-09, 09:08 PM
Anyone who votes yes should check themselves at the door...

Explain.

dabomb2045
02-08-09, 09:11 PM
Explain.

Wanting one of the best players on the game off your team is the definition of insanity

apalradio
02-08-09, 09:14 PM
Anyone who thinks this story is about ARod is kidding themselves. This does not end with ARod. There are 103 other names for crying out loud. They should all retire if ARod does...not to mention those who haven't even been named yet.

SkooterPhil#10
02-08-09, 09:16 PM
Wanting one of the best players on the game off your team is the definition of insanity

There's more to life than winning baseball games, my friend. A scumbag player is a scumbag player, no matter how many homers he hits, and as a life-long Yankee fan, who loved the Yankees before A-Rod was even in the MLB and will love the Yankees after he's left the MLB, I prefer to have a scum-free franchise, regardless of the short-term consequences. If you lose a few seasons you still have your dignity left.

dabomb2045
02-08-09, 09:24 PM
There's more to life than winning baseball games, my friend. A scumbag player is a scumbag player, no matter how many homers he hits, and as a life-long Yankee fan, who loved the Yankees before A-Rod was even in the MLB and will love the Yankees after he's left the MLB, I prefer to have a scum-free franchise, regardless of the short-term consequences. If you lose a few seasons you still have your dignity left.

I root for the Yankees. There have been "scumbags" on this team before...and there will be more in the future. You dont have to like a player to root for him to help your team win.

keg411
02-08-09, 09:28 PM

Because Mickey Mantle was such a prince.

JohnnyDamonfan
02-08-09, 09:31 PM
Nooooo! Basically if we lst A-rod we'd be in some big desperation for either 2 things.

1. A shortstop if Jeter goes to third

or

2. A 3rd baseman.

And we'd end up giving away a package for someone who will probably won't be as offensive as he was. So in a way none.Let's think about this.Remember a guy named Miguel Tejada? If I remember correctly he was a guy who was also tested positive for Steroids just before he was traded to the Stros. He's still in baseball so I really don't think this will really force A-rod into retirement.

Huktonfonix
02-08-09, 09:33 PM

The Yankees were carried to their most recent championship by the deadline acquisition of a PED-abusing wifebeater. Do you want to give back #26?

Micky Rivers's Bat
02-08-09, 09:34 PM

Bravo!!! If there were a chance of getting rid of that prima dona, I would take it in a heartbeat. It makes me sick they signed him after his opting out antics. Unfortunately, we are stuck with him.

dabomb2045
02-08-09, 09:36 PM

Yeah i guess we can forget he was an alcoholic, who cheated on his wife and was essentially a non-factor in the raising of his children. A model husband and father indeed.

dabomb2045
02-08-09, 09:37 PM
Bravo!!! If there were a chance of getting rid of that prima dona, I would take it in a heartbeat. It makes me sick they signed him after his opting out antics. Unfortunately, we are stuck with him.

.300, 40 HR, 120 RBI, 1.000 OPS?? I'll be "stuck" with that...thanks.

Hitman23
02-08-09, 09:37 PM
Why the eff should he retire he's not done anything wrong. Unless A-Rod used your bathroom to poke the needle in his ass to show your son how it's done, he didn't do anything wrong. People are taking this way too personal. It's a bagillion dollar business... people are gonna do things.

JohnnyDamonfan
02-08-09, 09:40 PM

Yeah, let's just get rid of him and put Cody Ransom at third. I'm sure that would work out great.:barf: We would be a laughing stock in the AL if we got rid of A-rod, Who do we have on our farm that can play third everyday? Who can we get on the cheap that is as offensive as A-rod is and can play third base well?

We're stuck with A-rod because there's not really anyone better that we can actually get to play third base,

Hitman23
02-08-09, 09:42 PM
I hardly call having A-Rod on our team being stuck.

Huktonfonix
02-08-09, 09:43 PM
Who can we get on the cheap that is as offensive as A-rod is and can play third base well?

I can think of a lot of options that would be more offensive than A-Rod.

DiMaggio5CF
02-08-09, 09:44 PM
When he steps on the diamond, the distractions go away. Its only off the field this stuff will be a problem.

The distractions go away? Have you been watching this guy play? All of his problems here have been mental.

Hitman23
02-08-09, 09:46 PM
The distractions go away? Have you been watching this guy play? All of his problems here have been mental.It's not him, it's us. If the fans would just get the f*ck over every sneeze and fart A-Rod does maybe the guy could concentrate on playing. Unfortunately, our fanbase can't do it. The want production with a mother effing theresa personal life. We're not stuck with him. He's stuck with us. We're the distraction but people think it's ok because they "buy a ticket" and "pay for yes"

CallOfTheCrow
02-08-09, 09:46 PM
We need a team full of Bubba Crosby's that have a belly full-o-guts & are just happy to be here.

JohnnyDamonfan
02-08-09, 09:47 PM
I hardly call having A-Rod on our team being stuck.

Yeah, so what the Media gives us a hard f'n time. We are the New York YANKEES. Do we really care what the media, or the Daily News, or Red Sox fans, or some other fans think? We are always the center of the media's attention. And if we got rid of A-rod it would be the same thing. And besides who's to say Ortiz and JD Drew weren't tested positive for that stuff? The Red Sox would be stuck with them too.

And I bet you a ton of money at least JD Drew has/will be tested positive for steroids.

JohnnyDamonfan
02-08-09, 09:48 PM
I can think of a lot of options that would be more offensive than A-Rod.

That would probably cost a fortune player wise. Watch we get rid of A-rod we're gonna have to give up Cano + for any player that would be more offensive.

NYYDragoon
02-08-09, 09:49 PM
Why the eff should he retire he's not done anything wrong. Unless A-Rod used your bathroom to poke the needle in his ass to show your son how it's done, he didn't do anything wrong. People are taking this way too personal. It's a bagillion dollar business... people are gonna do things.

It's not him, it's us. If the fans would just get the f*ck over every sneeze and fart A-Rod does maybe the guy could concentrate on playing. Unfortunately, our fanbase can't do it. The want production with a mother effing theresa personal life. We're not stuck with him. He's stuck with us. We're the distraction but people think it's ok because they "buy a ticket" and "pay for yes"
Oh my god, Steve...:lol:.

All so true, and well presented. Bravo.

CT-Yankee
02-08-09, 09:49 PM
I am sick of all the nonsense but just want to see him play baseball as long as he's clean now. You have to blame MLB for letting the whole steroid thing linger for years. They need to address the past and move on now by assuring people it isn't happening in the present. It can't be good to keep going back 5 ,6 years and finding out who was juiced.

Micky Rivers's Bat
02-08-09, 09:50 PM
.300, 40 HR, 120 RBI, 1.000 OPS?? I'll be "stuck" with that...thanks.

At what price? Both monetarily and team chemistry wise? How many championships have we won with him?

dabomb2045
02-08-09, 09:50 PM
It's not him, it's us. If the fans would just get the f*ck over every sneeze and fart A-Rod does maybe the guy could concentrate on playing. Unfortunately, our fanbase can't do it. The want production with a mother effing theresa personal life. We're not stuck with him. He's stuck with us. We're the distraction but people think it's ok because they "buy a ticket" and "pay for yes"

I couldnt agree more. Our fanbase is full of idiots unfortunately.

Hitman23
02-08-09, 09:52 PM
Oh my god, Steve...:lol:.

All so true, and well presented. Bravo.This entire thing is infuriating me. I had to deal with the guy slicing my virginia ham at the grocery store calling him A-Roid for like 15 minutes today. And he was a Yankee fan!

dabomb2045
02-08-09, 09:52 PM
At what price? Both monetarily and team chemistry wise? How many championships have we won with him?

Team chemistry? overrated...especially in baseball. The reason why we havent won w/him is cuz the 2004-2008 teams were seriously flawed. The 2009 team is the best team ARod will be on since he's been here, so we'll see what happens.

dabomb2045
02-08-09, 09:54 PM
This entire thing is infuriating me. I had to deal with the guy slicing my virginia ham at the grocery store calling him A-Roid for like 15 minutes. And he was a Yankee fan!

Dont you just love how people insist on acting high and mighty? And try to tear someone down when they make a mistake, as if that person hasnt made their own share of mistakes in their life?

Micky Rivers's Bat
02-08-09, 09:56 PM
Yeah, let's just get rid of him and put Cody Ransom at third. I'm sure that would work out great.:barf: We would be a laughing stock in the AL if we got rid of A-rod, Who do we have on our farm that can play third everyday? Who can we get on the cheap that is as offensive as A-rod is and can play third base well?

We're stuck with A-rod because there's not really anyone better that we can actually get to play third base,

I would take Joe Crede at $7mm over A-Rod at $32MM any day.

Hitman23
02-08-09, 09:57 PM
Dont you just love how people insist on acting high and mighty? And try to tear someone down when they make a mistake, as if that person hasnt made their own share of mistakes in their life?I'm sure as sh*t positive that if that dude today was offered a million dollars to shoot up on roids to make him a better deli meat slicer he'd have his pants off before the needle came out of the steril bag. It's business! Baseball has never, and will never, be anything but.

JohnnyDamonfan
02-08-09, 09:58 PM
Dont you just love how people insist on acting high and mighty? And try to tear someone down when they make a mistake, as if that person hasnt made their own share of mistakes in their life?

Yeah, and you never hear about someone putting down Micheal Phelps for that picture with him and the Bong. It's always going to be A-rod who gets blamed for a mistake that he did.

JohnnyDamonfan
02-08-09, 09:59 PM

And just how much do you think he's gonna cost (Player wise) for us?

Micky Rivers's Bat

What gets me is why did he have to go on with Katie Couric and act all high and mighty when he thought he was in the clear after not being mentioned in the Mitchell report? Can't stand the hypocrisy.

DaSh 1s
Yeah, and you never hear about someone putting down Micheal Phelps for that picture with him and the Bong. It's always going to be A-rod who gets blamed for a mistake that he did.

Honestly please, Marijuana and steroids are not even on the same level. Don't kid yourself.

Micky Rivers's Bat
02-08-09, 10:01 PM
And just how much do you think he's gonna cost (Player wise) for us?

Free agent.

DaSh 1s
02-08-09, 10:01 PM
If Michael Phelps was accused of steroids those 8 gold medals would be yanked so quickly

JohnnyDamonfan
02-08-09, 10:02 PM
Honestly please, Marijuana and steroids are not even on the same level. Don't kid yourself.

Okay, bad example. Let me think of a better example. You never hear people ripping on Miguel Tejada for doing steroids. But, if he's a Yankee people are going to flame the ever loving crap out of the guy.

Was that any better?

TheGameEpisode2
02-08-09, 10:03 PM
I Believe in Alex Rodriguez.

(that quote never gets old)

DaSh 1s
02-08-09, 10:03 PM
:giveup:

Yankees13
02-08-09, 10:04 PM
If I were him I would retire. If he retired, I would be happy, for his sake. However, as a fan, you have to be criminally stupid to want him to retire.

Hitman23

(that quote never gets old)Yeah that'll be the new Refuse To Boo this year. :lol:

Yankee Fan in Boston
Okay, bad example. Let me think of a better example. You never hear people ripping on Miguel Tejada for doing steroids. But, if he's a Yankee people are going to flame the ever loving crap out of the guy.

Was that any better?

Come on.. it's about the stature of the player, and A-Rod may be the best player in baseball. Was Bonds a Yankee? McGwire?

JohnnyDamonfan
02-08-09, 10:05 PM
Free agent.

Really? Cool!I still want A-rod. But , if he retires I'd take Crede. I don't really want to get rid of him now though. Could you imagine A-rod on the Red Sox or even worse the Angels? UGHHHHH, I have nightmares about that. But, if A-rod retires Crede would be ok. I just don't want A-rod to go somewhere else.

dabomb2045
02-08-09, 10:05 PM

I seriously do not know how to respond to this

DaSh 1s
02-08-09, 10:06 PM

Was that any better?

Because Miguel Tejada doesn't have a shot at hammerin' Hanks record. A-Rod was suppose to be the player that vindacted the records from steroid users such as Bonds and Mark. Now he is on the same level.

If Tiger Woods did steroids the whole comparision to him and Michael Jordan would fly out the window. If John Daly did steroids no boby would give a chit.

dabomb2045
02-08-09, 10:08 PM
Because Miguel Tejada doesn't have a shot at hammerin' Hanks record. A-Rod was suppose to be the player that vindacted the records from steroid users such as Bonds and Mark. Now he is on the same level.

If Tiger Woods did steroids the whole comparision to him and Michael Jordan would fly out the window. If John Daly did steroids no boby would give a chit.

Tejada should be held to the same standards, since both "cheated" or whatever. Personally, I dont give a crap about "vindicating" records and what not. Bonds, McGwire and Alex are all great players in my eyes...and nothing will ever change that.

DaSh 1s
02-08-09, 10:08 PM
If A-Rod retires, he will walk about as the biggest phony in the history of sports. For all who think he is retiring is laughable.

DaSh 1s
02-08-09, 10:09 PM
Tejada should be held to the same standards, since both "cheated" or whatever. Personally, I dont give a crap about "vindicating" records and what not. Bonds, McGwire and Alex are all great players in my eyes...and nothing will ever change that.

Bonds and McGwire will never be on the same level as Hank. If you believe otherwise, than I feel sorry for you.

Yankee Fan in Boston
02-08-09, 10:12 PM
If A-Rod retires, he will walk about as the biggest phony in the history of sports. For all who think he is retiring is laughable.

Agreed. He's been tested for the past 5 years and hasn't failed. He has no reason to retire.

JohnnyDamonfan

Then I am going tocontinue to support A-rod. And ignore all the media , and those stupid Yankee fans that boo him, etc.etc. . I would rather have a cheater on our team then ship this cheater somewhere else. This guy can hit 40 homeruns a year for us. And let's just be happy the other steroid taker Giambi is gone.

Micky Rivers's Bat
I know it is not our money but seriously think about it - 09:$32M, 10:$32M, 11:$31M, 12:$29M, 13:$28M, 14:$25M, 15:$21M, 16:$20M, 17:$20Mplus another $30M marketing agreement based on home run milestones.

You don't think management wouldn't love to get out from under this albatross now?

Jglaubman
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :-rofl-: :-rofl-: :-rofl-: :-rofl-: :-rofl-: :-rofl-:
:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

..oh my god.... I can't breathe....... phew.

Hitman23
02-08-09, 10:13 PM
Tejada should be held to the same standards, since both "cheated" or whatever. Personally, I dont give a crap about "vindicating" records and what not. Bonds, McGwire and Alex are all great players in my eyes...and nothing will ever change that.Same here. Exposing players that did it before the rule was put in place is nothing more than a witch hunt, it can do nothing good for anyone. it's for people who get off on pointing their holier-than-thou finger at someone so they can tell them how wrong they were.

Yankee Fan in Boston
I know it is not our money but seriously think about it - 09:$32M, 10:$32M, 11:$31M, 12:$29M, 13:$28M, 14:$25M, 15:$21M, 16:$20M, 17:$20Mplus another $30M marketing agreement based on home run milestones.

You don't think management wouldn't love to get out from under this albatross now?

They just signed that albatross last year. It's their own fault... not A-Rod's or anyone else's.

CallOfTheCrow

Would you prefer Clay Bellinger manning 3B? He's an uber world series champion.

TheHugeUnit2
02-08-09, 10:15 PM
Even if he did take them, the Yankees will make their millions on him and he will hit 40+ homeruns for about 4 more years and still be able to hit after that. He's one of the biggest, if not the biggest players in the game and when your the biggest everyone is gunning for you. I do think the 32 million could be spend better elsewhere, but A-Rod is A-Rod and its really nice to have him at times.

DaSh 1s
02-08-09, 10:17 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :-rofl-: :-rofl-: :-rofl-: :-rofl-: :-rofl-: :-rofl-:
:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

..oh my god.... I can't breathe....... phew.

It was the funniest thing I have heard in a while.

Micky Rivers's Bat
02-08-09, 10:18 PM
They just signed that albatross last year. It's their own fault... not A-Rod's or anyone else's.

I didn't say it was his fault. However, as a fan of the team I wish they didn't have this huge financial burden. Especially, for a player who only thinks of himself.

ArodEra
I voted "no" because he played in an era where we know that a minimum 15-20% were taking PED's, knowing that the percentage is greater, According to Chipper Jones, in an old WFAN interview, he suspects that 1/4 to 1/2 of the players have used, and that even he was tempted but would take out a picture of his family from his wallet as a deterrent. Honest and refreshing response from him.

DaSh 1s
Then I am going tocontinue to support A-rod. And ignore all the media , and those stupid Yankee fans that boo him, etc.etc. . I would rather have a cheater on our team then ship this cheater somewhere else. This guy can hit 40 homeruns a year for us. And let's just be happy the other steroid taker Giambi is gone.

You really have to word you phrases better. Sorry, you make it sound as bad as it actually is .

Micky Rivers's Bat
02-08-09, 10:20 PM
It was the funniest thing I have heard in a while.

What is so funny about saving $25mm? About not having this huge distraction on the team?

dabomb2045
02-08-09, 10:21 PM
Bonds and McGwire will never be on the same level as Hank. If you believe otherwise, than I feel sorry for you.

Its impossible to compare players of different eras anyways....

PirateChief
02-08-09, 10:21 PM
are you serious

Jglaubman
02-08-09, 10:22 PM
What is so funny about saving $25mm? About not having this huge distraction on the team?

The day the Yanks announce they are out of money, I will admit you are right. Also, A-Rod is currently the best player in baseball.

Micky Rivers's Bat
02-08-09, 10:22 PM
Of course the $25MM could be spent elsewhere.

Hitman23
02-08-09, 10:23 PM
What is so funny about saving $25mm? About not having this huge distraction on the team?We're the distraction. Don't you see that? If every Yankee fan got over the bullcrap, none of this would matter.

Yankee Fan in Boston
02-08-09, 10:24 PM
Of course the $25MM could be spent elsewhere.

You will not get an equal replacement at 3B a week before spring training opens

Yankee Fan in Boston
02-08-09, 10:25 PM
We're the distraction. Don't you see that? If every Yankee fan got over the bullcrap, none of this would matter.

Well said. We are a paranoid bunch

Micky Rivers's Bat
02-08-09, 10:27 PM
You will not get an equal replacement at 3B a week before spring training opens

It is all meaningless anyway because as I said he is not going anywhere. But sign Crede for 3B, sign Manny with the extra cash.

Micky Rivers's Bat
02-08-09, 10:29 PM
We're the distraction. Don't you see that? If every Yankee fan got over the bullcrap, none of this would matter.

I would love it if the media would tone it down, but that is not going to happen with this team.

Hitman23
02-08-09, 10:33 PM
I would love it if the media would tone it down, but that is not going to happen with this team.The media is gonna do what they do. Who cares. The only reason they do it is because we get off on it. If WE as a FANBASE let all the stupid crap go and not obsess over it, and not bring it to the ballpark, there'd be no distraction. We are the distraction because we boo and sh*t on our players.

Micky Rivers's Bat
02-08-09, 10:45 PM
The media is gonna do what they do. Who cares. The only reason they do it is because we get off on it. If WE as a FANBASE let all the stupid crap go and not obsess over it, and not bring it to the ballpark, there'd be no distraction. We are the distraction because we boo and sh*t on our players.

Don't you get it? Arod has invited all this on himself. Why get on 60 minutes and play Mr. High and Mighty? He has been trying to cultivate this bs all natural image for years. Of course they are going to get at him. The fans too. If the reports are true, he is a liar and a hypocrite.

Rocketbooster
02-08-09, 10:52 PM

Right - exactly where is the written-in-stone proof that A-Rod is the cause of the odd chemistry of this team? The fact that you blame him and him alone for the Yankees not winning a WS is quite sufficient to render your argument incredibly weak.

Hitman23
02-08-09, 10:52 PM
What I get is people want to get on him every chance they can. When Alex isn't on his game the team suffers. I don't want the team to suffer. We can, and should, control ourselves for the good of the team.

Rocketbooster
02-08-09, 10:56 PM
I didn't say it was his fault. However, as a fan of the team I wish they didn't have this huge financial burden. Especially, for a player who only thinks of himself.

Yeah, he works sooooooo hard because he doesn't care about contributing to the team.

You misspelled Mickey Rivers' name by the way.........

Micky Rivers's Bat
02-08-09, 10:57 PM
What I get is people want to get on him every chance they can. When Alex isn't on his game the team suffers. I don't want the team to suffer. We can, and should, control ourselves for the good of the team.

I am all for that. I know I wouldn't boo him. I want him to do as well as possible. But the media will be on him and often fans are influenced by the media.

YanksFan1992
02-08-09, 10:59 PM
21 percent of people voted yes. Unbelievable.

Rocketbooster
02-08-09, 11:00 PM
The media is gonna do what they do. Who cares. The only reason they do it is because we get off on it. If WE as a FANBASE let all the stupid crap go and not obsess over it, and not bring it to the ballpark, there'd be no distraction. We are the distraction because we boo and sh*t on our players.

Absolutely. I mean, Alex was booed Opening Day a couple of years ago.......in fact, he was booed in spring training. Now that takes real stupidity - but no one ever accused Yankee fans of being smart. I don't want to hear (as I have heard tonight) that fans are generally forgiving. They have never forgiven Alex for his GQ comments - he and Jeter have repaired the rift, by the way - and they take it out on him every single play, strike, error. I really despise the fans - the fact that they cheered Alex in 2007 makes me puke. Of course, these are the same fans that booed Mo a few years ago.

Micky Rivers's Bat
02-08-09, 11:00 PM
Yeah, he works sooooooo hard because he doesn't care about contributing to the team.

You misspelled Mickey Rivers' name by the way.........

Do you think he works so hard for the team or for his personal stats and milestones? Which is his primary focus?

About my name, I know. I signed up after a few drinks and I have now learned to live with it.

Rocketbooster
02-08-09, 11:02 PM
Do you think he works so hard for the team or for his personal stats and milestones? Which is his primary focus?

About my name, I know. I signed up after a few drinks and I have now learned to live with it.

He works for both, just like every athlete. If no one cared about personal stats, they would not bother showing up for HOF induction ceremonies.

dabomb2045
02-08-09, 11:03 PM
I basically lost respect for the Yanks fanbase when they booed Mo in the 3rd game of the season in 2004....how they have treated Alex has only made my dislike of the fanbase even more.

Micky Rivers's Bat
02-08-09, 11:05 PM
Right - exactly where is the written-in-stone proof that A-Rod is the cause of the odd chemistry of this team? The fact that you blame him and him alone for the Yankees not winning a WS is quite sufficient to render your argument incredibly weak.

I don't blame the bad chemistry solely on A-Rod, but he is certainly a part of it. I don't blame him solely for not winning a championship, but his anemic post season and clutch hitting haven't helped. When you are making so much more than the rest of your teammates you may be expected to pick it up a little when it counts.

CallOfTheCrow
02-08-09, 11:05 PM

You're so convinced that he isn't a team player & make ridiculous allegations that he only cares about stats. Prove it.

CallOfTheCrow
02-08-09, 11:06 PM
I basically lost respect for the Yanks fanbase when they booed Mo in the 3rd game of the season in 2004....how they have treated Alex has only made my dislike of the fanbase even more.

I have no problem at all saying as a cumulative bunch, I hate the Yankee fan base.

NYYDragoon
02-08-09, 11:07 PM
I basically lost respect for the Yanks fanbase when they booed Mo in the 3rd game of the season in 2004....how they have treated Alex has only made my dislike of the fanbase even more.OT, but that was completely uncalled for. God I hated everyone then.

Hitman23
02-08-09, 11:08 PM
I'm glad I'm not alone. The Yankee fanbase has disgusted me for a while now.

Jglaubman
02-08-09, 11:10 PM

Definitely. I think Yankee fans are probably the dumbest fans in baseball (except for MOST people here, of course)

TheYankee
02-08-09, 11:10 PM
Anyone who votes yes should check themselves at the door...I disagree. If someone has the fun stricken from them to root for a guy they strongly dislike, you have all the right in the world to wish he was elsewhere. I want the Yanks to win, so personally, I don't want him gone, but I'm sure not going to pass judgment on someone who doesn't want him anymore. They can make up their own minds.

CallOfTheCrow
02-08-09, 11:11 PM

There's nothing really to like about them as a whole.

Matsui55
02-08-09, 11:14 PM
Here's what people are losing sight of- who do you think those other 103 players are? We apparently know that Bonds was NOT one of them- as it appears from what I read this week that it was only subsequent re-testing that showed a positive test for Bonds.

Stop and think about this for a moment- in 2003, there were 30 teams with 25 man rosters. The results meant that no less than the equivalent of 4 full team rosters tested positive. This also means that on average, there would have been between 3-4 positive tests PER TEAM (on average).

Just because ARod is the biggest name (outside of Bonds) doesn't mean he was the only one.

Remember that these test results were never supposed to be public- there was a special agreement between the owners and players that the test were solely to determine whether the mandatory testing requirements were needed- if a certain threshold was met, then the testing would begin. Obviously it was met.

But when you think about it, there was no incentive for players NOT to "roid up" because there would be NO negative outcome for a positive test (remember that we had no idea at the time of the circus that Clemens and Bonds would make this later). In other words, if you were a player, even if you had never "used" before, or were a minor user, this was practically a "use once free" card.

If you got caught, you were just another number with no way of anyone supposedly knowing you were using. If you were not using, and the use of roids was as widespread as players say it was, then this was the chance to get yourself roided up to produce before the testing started with consequences.

I'm not saying that this is what happened to ARod- given what Jose Canseco has said about use on the Rangers at that time (funny how everyone laughed at him- he keeps getting proven right), it seems unlikely that ARod wasn't in on the fun. However, sportswriters are leaping to the wrong answer without asking the right question.

The RIGHT question would be, if players KNEW that their names would be revealed (especially since there was a special agreement to keep confidentiality), don't you think that they should be asking whether any of the positives from 2003 tested positive subsequently? In other words, did players treat this as a "use-free" opportunity, then "clean up" when they knew testing would become mandatory?

It seems that in the rush to get the ARod story out there, reporters did not think to ask themselves the above question.

Hitman23
02-08-09, 11:16 PM
I disagree. If someone has the fun stricken from them to root for a guy they strongly dislike, you have all the right in the world to wish he was elsewhere. I want the Yanks to win, so personally, I don't want him gone, but I'm sure not going to pass judgment on someone who doesn't want him anymore. They can make up their own minds.Well, I think then that I have a right to tell a fan who wants him gone after he's won 2 MVPs here that I want them elsewhere. :lol:

TheYankee
02-08-09, 11:17 PM
Well, I think then that I have a right to tell a fan who wants him gone after he's won 2 MVPs here that I want them elsewhere. :lol:Well, now you're just being silly. ;)

One of the primary reasons I disliked Bonds was because I'm certain he was a user and I believe the home run record is tainted. When I see A-Rod do that in a Yankee uniform, I sure am not going to care all that much either now. It does take away some of the fun for me.

YanksFan1992
02-08-09, 11:18 PM

Yup, it should be even more disgusting when A-Rod is roundly booed on Opening Day.

No one and I mean no one (Mariano Rivera included) has done more for this team over the last four years, and at some times it seems players like Wilson Betemit are held in higher esteem than him.

Hitman23
02-08-09, 11:20 PM
Well, now you're just being silly. ;)

One of the primary reasons I disliked Bonds was because I'm certain he was a user and I believe the home run record is tainted. When I see A-Rod do that in a Yankee uniform, I sure am not going to care all that much either now. It does take away some of the fun for me.But this was all from 6 years ago. It doesn't matter anymore.

False1
02-08-09, 11:22 PM
There's more to life than winning baseball games, my friend. A scumbag player is a scumbag player, no matter how many homers he hits, and as a life-long Yankee fan, who loved the Yankees before A-Rod was even in the MLB and will love the Yankees after he's left the MLB, I prefer to have a scum-free franchise, regardless of the short-term consequences. If you lose a few seasons you still have your dignity left.I'm trying to empathize, but seriously if steroids are enough to make you think a player is a scumbag it's a good thing they're not releasing the other 103 names... yet. This selective judgment process via leakage of grand jury testimony and confidential documents is ridiculous. I guarantee we've cheered for and against dozens of players that were far more "enhanced" than A-Rod was (if proven true).

TheYankee
02-08-09, 11:24 PM
But this was all from 6 years ago. It doesn't matter anymore.Oh pish posh. You take steroids, you took steroids. I don't just forget about it because "it was six years ago." And yes, the standard is a little bit rougher on those who have succeeded so much.

goin for 27
02-08-09, 11:28 PM
But this was all from 6 years ago. It doesn't matter anymore.

How do you know? Seriously, that is what sucks most about the whole thing. One can surmise that he took the two he tested positive for up until 2003. Is it not logical that he could simply then trade for a substance that cannot be detected today? Maybe he stopped after the positive, but there is simply no way to tell.

Hitman23
02-08-09, 11:29 PM
I really wish we could go on a holodeck and go back to before the media was as vindictive and widespread as it is now. Let's bring computers and internet forums back to when Ruth played. Hell, even St Mickey Mantle. We'll see how the ghosts of Yankee past acted as people and if we indeed ever had a scum free team. Will anyone wag that finger at the great number 7?

Hitman23
02-08-09, 11:32 PM
How do you know? Seriously, that is what sucks most about the whole thing. One can surmise that he took the two he tested positive for up until 2003. Is it not logical that he could simply then trade for a substance that cannot be detected today? Maybe he stopped after the positive, but there is simply no way to tell.Of course anything is possible. But he hasn't gotten caught. If he does do something, and get caught, I'll care, and I'll only care because it'll mean he gets suspended and we'll be without him. I personally have no issue with PEDs.

goin for 27
02-08-09, 11:33 PM
21 percent of people voted yes. Unbelievable.

I just voted yes. I will think it over more, but that was my instinct. If I could take all of his salary and apply it elsewhere, I think that I would. I know he is fantastic, and I know he can carry the team. That said, it has been non-stop drama since day one, and this carries more weight than all the other crap combined. Worse, who knows what may come out next? What if we find out he is STILL juicing? I don't think he has the psyche to roll with this....Maybe I am over reacting, but I think that no matter what happens with the other 103 names, this is going to be front and center all season long and beyond. EVERY time he hits a big HR, etc.

You can hammer away at me all you want, but I think ARod is in for a living hell, and I think that the Yanks, if they spent the money wisely, (especially since the market has tanked since the contract) they could be every bit as good, without the soap opera.

And yes.....I know that this is an impossibility. I am just saying IF....

dabomb2045
02-08-09, 11:34 PM
I really wish we could go on a holodeck and go back to before the media was as vindictive and widespread as it is now. Let's bring computers and internet forums back to when Ruth played. Hell, even St Mickey Mantle. We'll see how the ghosts of Yankee past acted as people and if we indeed ever had a scum free team. Will anyone wag that finger at the great number 7?

The media was different back then. Alot of them knew the kind of stuff Ruth and Mantle did...but they never reported it--it was kept "hush hush". I cant answer as to why it was different then, where as now EVERYTHING gets reported.

YanksFan1992
02-08-09, 11:39 PM
I just voted yes. I will think it over more, but that was my instinct. If I could take all of his salary and apply it elsewhere, I think that I would. I know he is fantastic, and I know he can carry the team. That said, it has been non-stop drama since day one, and this carries more weight than all the other crap combined. Worse, who knows what may come out next? What if we find out he is STILL juicing? I don't think he has the psyche to roll with this....Maybe I am over reacting, but I think that no matter what happens with the other 103 names, this is going to be front and center all season long and beyond. EVERY time he hits a big HR, etc.

You can hammer away at me all you want, but I think ARod is in for a living hell, and I think that the Yanks, if they spent the money wisely, (especially since the market has tanked since the contract) they could be every bit as good, without the soap opera.

And yes.....I know that this is an impossibility. I am just saying IF....

I believe that without A-Rod, we don't make the playoffs in 2007, and possibly not in 2005 or 2006 either, and certainly don't come as close to the Wild Card last year.

So I guess the question is, does taking the media circus away from the team bring more wins than losing Alex takes away? If you can say yes, than I guess it's a good move, but I just can't see the above question being true.

TheYankee
02-08-09, 11:39 PM
I personally have no issue with PEDs.Seriously?

YanksFan1992
02-08-09, 11:41 PM
Seriously?

In my situation, I can't support the use of performance-enhancers whatsoever, but I can see why some don't see it as a big deal. As someone who plays three sports in high school, I'll do whatever it takes to give my team a better shot at winning, but only do a certain extent. Taking an illegal drug and ruining my body is past that limit, but to some it may not be.

TheYankee
02-08-09, 11:43 PM
In my situation, I can't support the use of performance-enhancers whatsoever, but I can see why some don't see it as a big deal. As someone who plays three sports in high school, I'll do whatever it takes to give my team a better shot at winning, but only do a certain extent. Taking an illegal drug and ruining my body is past that limit, but to some it may not be.I played high school sports too, and it never crossed my mind. It's pretty sad that it's now under rampant consideration.

dabomb2045
02-08-09, 11:44 PM
Seriously?

Not my body---not my problem. As long as it doesnt hurt or negatively affect another innocent person, I could care less about people who shoot themselves up with PED's or any other drug.

CallOfTheCrow
02-08-09, 11:47 PM
If it made me an A-Rod salary, I'll juice to the point I can charge up & roll around like Sonic the Hedgehog.

TheYankee
Not my body---not my problem. As long as it doesnt hurt or negatively affect another innocent person, I could care less about people who shoot themselves up with PED's or any other drug.Now wait a minute. People take PED's to get a leg up on the competition. In other words, to get a leg up on the competition who decides they shouldn't take PED's. That's not just one person they're affecting.

YankeeZim
I'm sure as sh*t positive that if that dude today was offered a million dollars to shoot up on roids to make him a better deli meat slicer he'd have his pants off before the needle came out of the steril bag. It's business! Baseball has never, and will never, be anything but.The only thing is, Arod had already made millions before 2003. He wasnt just "some dude".

Hitman23
02-08-09, 11:48 PM
Seriously?Seriously. These guys are getting paid alot of money to perform for us. If it helps them heal quicker, stay healthy, get into games earlier after injuries, so be it. PED's don't give you the ability to throw a curve ball. They don't give you the ability to hit one either. These guys have the talent to play baseball in them. If this enhances that talent, more entertainment for us. IMO, it's up to them if it's worth sacraficing their body. Not me.

NYYDragoon
02-08-09, 11:50 PM
Now wait a minute. People take PED's to get a leg up on the competition. In other words, to get a leg up on the competition who decides they shouldn't take PED's. That's not just one person they're affecting.I'm more concerned about the integrity of the game being at stake.

TheYankee
02-08-09, 11:51 PM
I'm more concerned about the integrity of the game being at stake.Yep. Completely agree.

YankeeZim
02-09-09, 01:10 AM
I'm more concerned about the integrity of the game being at stake.What integrity? What game? What business in todays world values words like "integrity" these days? As baseball has continued to show us, it's all about the bottom line. After all, it's just business...

bcom33
02-09-09, 01:14 AM
If evidence arises of him taking steroids...which it seems it will...then yes, his career is over.

TheYankee
02-09-09, 01:16 AM
What integrity? What game? What business in todays world values words like "integrity" these days? As baseball has continued to show us, it's all about the bottom line. After all, it's just business...Heaven forbid some of us want to watch a game that's played the right way.

YankeeZim
02-09-09, 01:22 AM
Heaven forbid some of us want to watch a game that's played the right way.I wish you luck. IMO, that ship has sailed.

Hitman23
02-09-09, 01:33 AM
I'm more concerned about the integrity of the game being at stake.The only thing that would worry me is if there was evidence of tampering or fixing games. That would set me over the edge.

As far as PEDs go... I can't really have a stance against it. Guys use it to recover from injuries which I think is great. But people also enhance their bodies in other ways. Laser eye surgery is one. I don't know for sure but can you get your eyes to be fixed better than 20/20? Doesn't TJ surgury make you stronger when you heal? What happens in the future when we can give people artificial joints that are able to be used in professional sports? Will that be a problem when a player isn't suseptable to the same injury he'd be if he had a real body part there?

I just look at the way we are advancing medically and how humans are being enhanced anyway. I think eventually we are going to have to accept enhanced players. In a way we have them now if you compare them to 100 years ago. With working out, healthy eating, vitamins, suppliments, anti-oxidants and all that other crap.... today's baseball player is enhanced compared to players 100 years ago anyway.

teknetic
02-09-09, 02:42 AM
Anyone who voted "yes" needs to be slapped if they cheered when we signed Tex.

One step forward, ten steps back, but hey no drama!

JeterForPresident
02-09-09, 03:12 AM
If evidence arises of him taking steroids...which it seems it will...then yes, his career is over.

WHAT? A-Rod like every other player who used in the past will continue to play as long as he stays clean. There is no reason to think A-Rod should or will retire.

jobasfistpump62
02-09-09, 03:23 AM
Yeah. He'll probably retire just like Giambi...........

JeterForPresident
02-09-09, 03:29 AM
Yeah. He'll probably retire just like Giambi...........

Exactly, it is absolute madness to think A-Rod should retire. Even a positive test now doesn't mean you have to retire or you are banned from playing. You are suspended for 50 games for testing postive not forced out of the game and yet A-Rod who had his 2003 test illegally leaked and made public should retire? Get over it people.

jobasfistpump62
02-09-09, 03:33 AM
Exactly, it is absolute madness to think A-Rod should retire. Even a positive test now doesn't mean you have to retire or you are banned from playing. You are suspended for 50 games for testing postive not forced out of the game and yet A-Rod who had his 2003 test illegally leaked and made public should retire? Get over it people.
And to add to that, it's not like he's going to become a 15-20 HR guy all of a sudden. He's still one of the best players in baseball. I'd be willing to bet that he hasn't used steroids since the drug testing policy began and he has 2 MVP awards since that time.

JeterForPresident
02-09-09, 03:36 AM
And to add to that, it's not like he's going to become a 15-20 HR guy all of a sudden. He's still one of the best players in baseball. I'd be willing to bet that he hasn't used steroids since the drug testing policy began and he has 2 MVP awards since that time.

You have to assume he has been tested in recent time since the suspensions were instituted and he hasn't had a problem so I agree with you. The guy has tons of natural talent and ability and chances are his need to please everyone including himself drove him to using steroids when he probably didn't need to.

If he does end up testing positive now and is suspended then perhaps the discussion changes. But based on one 2003 leaked test result (actually a report of, not official confirmation), there is no reason to even have this kind of thread.

jeterismyhomeboy
02-09-09, 03:38 AM
The only thing that would worry me is if there was evidence of tampering or fixing games. That would set me over the edge.

As far as PEDs go... I can't really have a stance against it. Guys use it to recover from injuries which I think is great. But people also enhance their bodies in other ways. Laser eye surgery is one. I don't know for sure but can you get your eyes to be fixed better than 20/20? Doesn't TJ surgury make you stronger when you heal? What happens in the future when we can give people artificial joints that are able to be used in professional sports? Will that be a problem when a player isn't suseptable to the same injury he'd be if he had a real body part there?

I just look at the way we are advancing medically and how humans are being enhanced anyway. I think eventually we are going to have to accept enhanced players. In a way we have them now if you compare them to 100 years ago. With working out, healthy eating, vitamins, suppliments, anti-oxidants and all that other crap.... today's baseball player is enhanced compared to players 100 years ago anyway.

You know, I hadn't ever really thought about it in those terms, but it's true. Every generation of ballplayers had an advantage over previous ones. Either through the acceptance of new understanding about health and nutrition, or through medical advances or both. From time to time, Ruth used corked bats; Maris had amphetamines; pitchers today have TJ surgery; any player with inflammation can get a cortizone shot.

The idea that the game was full of purity and poetry before the Steroid Era is the biggest misconception that haunts today's game. It's a normal psychological response to inflate the positive things that happen in the past and diminish the negative (otherwise, how could anyone go to their high school reunion?). But the "integrity" of baseball is the same now as it was then. The only thing that keeps the game in front of you from being real is if players aren't trying, if the outcome is predetermined. That's why gambling or attempting to fix a game is still the great cardinal sin. PEDs might make it easier to retain talent, or enable a player to reach their highest potential, but they don't replace real talent. Reading through the Mitchell Report and seeing all the nobodies is enough to make that point.

JeterForPresident
02-09-09, 03:43 AM
You know, I hadn't ever really thought about it in those terms, but it's true. Every generation of ballplayers had an advantage over previous ones. Either through the acceptance of new understanding about health and nutrition, or through medical advances or both. From time to time, Ruth used corked bats; Maris had amphetamines; pitchers today have TJ surgery; any player with inflammation can get a cortizone shot.

The idea that the game was full of purity and poetry before the Steroid Era is the biggest misconception that haunts today's game. It's a normal psychological response to inflate the positive things that happen in the past and diminish the negative (otherwise, how could anyone go to their high school reunion?). But the "integrity" of baseball is the same now as it was then. The only thing that keeps the game in front of you from being real is if players aren't trying, if the outcome is predetermined. That's why gambling or attempting to fix a game is still the great cardinal sin. PEDs might make it easier to retain talent, or enable a player to reach their highest potential, but they don't replace real talent. Reading through the Mitchell Report and seeing all the nobodies is enough to make that point.

Very good post. Baseball has never been played by saints and angels. A lot of these guys even the ones who were basically clean when it came to baseball weren't exactly the nicest guys off the field. You have racists, bigots, drinkers, adulterers, drug users. Sometimes it seems like people look back with rose colored glasses and see halos over these guys heads when it really was anything but that.

As you said every generation has an advantage over the previous one and anyone who thinks that most guys wouldn't have used steroids if they were available in the 20s-60s or 70s, those glory years of baseball, well anyone who thinks that is incredibly naive. Cutting corners, looking to get ahead thats human nature thats competitive nature, thats been around since the beginning of time, it is the means that have changed through time.

YankeePride1967
02-09-09, 04:52 AM
Find me comparable replacement and I'll talk about him leaving. Otherwise no way. And if by some act of magic, EVERY name of players that used (and still do) were revealed, I think there would be a shorter list of those that didn't (and don't) than do use.

SkooterPhil#10
02-09-09, 05:09 AM

Wow...just wow.

I'm finished here.

ajra21
02-09-09, 05:24 AM
i could any of the bottom three.

grizy
02-09-09, 05:36 AM
Hate the drama, love the talent. If he can weather the impending storm and play well early, the storm will pass.

True if he weren't a Yankee.

keg411
02-09-09, 06:53 AM
Wow...just wow.

I'm finished here.

He was an alcoholic and an adulterer.

silverdsl
02-09-09, 07:14 AM
True if he weren't a Yankee.It passed for Giambi and he was able to find another team to sign him. It passed for Sheffield and Pettitte too. It hasn't passed for Clemens because imo, he and his "people" completely mishandled things but had they done things differently it would have passed for him as well. Hopefully A-Rod was paying attention to what Giambi and Pettitte did, and learned some lessons from Clemens as to what not to do.

A-Rod isn't going to retire when it's likely that he'll still be a productive player for years to come. Even Bonds didn't officially retire, he just couldn't find a team to sign him.

SkooterPhil#10
02-09-09, 07:21 AM
He was an alcoholic and an adulterer.

Yes, I'm aware. But Mickey wasn't a cheater (baseball not marriage). There is just so much wrong with the comparison I'd rather not go into it.

goin for 27
02-09-09, 07:48 AM
I believe that without A-Rod, we don't make the playoffs in 2007, and possibly not in 2005 or 2006 either, and certainly don't come as close to the Wild Card last year.

So I guess the question is, does taking the media circus away from the team bring more wins than losing Alex takes away? If you can say yes, than I guess it's a good move, but I just can't see the above question being true.

No. The question is going forward would the team be better. I think that there are many variables, but $25M to spend in this market is a ton of money. One has to consider the players that could be signed/dealt, etc. I am not saying that we release him and pick up some replacement player. I would consider though, changing the team around. It sounds like Cashman was ready to do just that if ARod opted out, which he did. Maybe if Hank did not jump in, we would be in juust as a competitive a spot as now, without the hoopla.

As an example, I see the Red Sox competing just fine without Ramirez. Would they be better with Ramirez? Depends on Bay and what they did with the rest of the Ramirez money. (Tough to figure out)

I just think that the sh*tstorm is going to be unlike any other, and it WILL have an effect.

JavyVazquezIsSick
02-09-09, 07:50 AM
Yes, just to get out of that dumb ass contract.

Saxmania
02-09-09, 07:53 AM
I just think that the sh*tstorm is going to be unlike any other, and it WILL have an effect.

Actually, I think the timing's pretty good for Rogriguez.

First, pitchers and catchers report, and the story lingers for a few weeks while all the baseball news is about 'So-and-so is in The Best Shape Of His Life', but this year we also have, 'Where will Manny/Dunn/Abreu/Sheets/?? sign?', which is unusual to be a topic so late in the offseason. That will help crowd out stories.

Second, the WBC. While I know a lot of forumers don't care about it, something will happen. The Netherlands will beat Mexico, or an ace pitcher will get injured, or some Cubans will defect, or something. News will be generated.

So by the time Opening Day rolls around, I think we might be surprised how little time is spent on Rodriguez. Just a thought.

Be seeing you,

Saxmania

ArodMVP217
02-09-09, 08:00 AM
Nady to 3rd, sign ManNY!! no, i support Alex

JohnnyDamonfan
02-09-09, 08:27 AM
I support him too. I just hope he can come out and admit it. Pettitte did it and he seems to be doing fine. Please A-rod just fess up so we can put this whole mess behind us.

NYYFAN
02-09-09, 08:57 AM
When he opted out I was happy and wanted the Yankees to spend the money elsewhere...so I voted:

Yes - The money could be better spent elsewhere

sabermet prospectus
02-09-09, 09:13 AM
No way, especially as a Yankees fan but even if he played for another team, even Boston, I wouldnt want him to retire. Hes a great player and I want to continue to watch him play. Not to mention since hes on the Yankees, in this case the team also needs him to succeed.

sabermet prospectus
02-09-09, 09:15 AM
Yes, I'm aware. But Mickey wasn't a cheater (baseball not marriage). There is just so much wrong with the comparison I'd rather not go into it.
What if he took amphetamines which were rampant in this days and mostly everyone took ? Is he a "cheater" then ?

Soriambi
02-09-09, 09:15 AM
If it's true that he knowingly used steroids, then I've lost some respect for A-rod, but I'm still more than happy that he's on my team because of the talent that he brings. If he retired, it would be disasterous for both this year and for the next several years. He is a talent that would be impossible to replace. He is more than worth any drama that he causes.

keg411
02-09-09, 09:35 AM

You said you didn't want any "scumbags" on the team in your original post. Not "steroid users". "Scumbag" is a pretty encompassing statement; it does not note anyone who ever used PED's (which would also include Andy Pettitte; I'm sure you want him off the team as well).

Derek2HOF
02-09-09, 09:49 AM
What if he took amphetamines which were rampant in this days and mostly everyone took ? Is he a "cheater" then ?

This is what I immediately thought about. We just have more access to the game now, but this type of thing has always gone on.

SkooterPhil#10
02-09-09, 09:56 AM

Nah, nothing wrong with a few greenies after a night game or whatever. I took them to study in college. Air force pilots take them. EMTs and medics take them on graveyard shifts. Truckers use them to stay awake on the road. There is a huge difference between taking what is essentially the equivalent of a few cups of coffee and injecting hormones that totally alter your physiology, possibly for the rest of your life.

That comparision is so asinine I regret replying...sorry.

keg411
02-09-09, 09:57 AM
Then why are greenies now also banned under the MLB drug policy? Speed is just as illegal as PED's.

sabermet prospectus
Nah, nothing wrong with a few greenies after a night game or whatever. I took them to study in college. Air force pilots take them. EMTs and medics take them on graveyard shifts. Truckers use them to stay awake on the road. There is a huge difference between taking what is essentially the equivalent of a few cups of coffee and injecting hormones that totally alter your physiology, possibly for the rest of your life.

If theyre so harmless then why did MLB ban them ?

Yankee Fan in Boston

Then why did baseball ban them?

SkooterPhil#10
02-09-09, 09:58 AM
You said you didn't want any "scumbags" on the team in your original post. Not "steroid users". "Scumbag" is a pretty encompassing statement; it does not note anyone who ever used PED's (which would also include Andy Pettitte; I'm sure you want him off the team as well).

Well touche in that regard then. You're right, Mick was perhaps a bit of a scumbag. He was a womanizer and an alcoholic for sure, but there are other layers of his personality that are very likeable. A-Rod by comparison seems like a vapid fool. I'd hang out and have a drink with Mickey, not A-Rod.

Guess it comes down to a matter of opinion. I don't like A-Rod. Sue me.

YESSIR!
02-09-09, 09:59 AM

Yes, because cheating on your wife is morally superior to cheating in baseball. What a crock.

SkooterPhil#10
02-09-09, 10:00 AM
If theyre so harmless then why did MLB ban them ?

They're illegal.

Let's not be silly. The effectiveness and risks of performance enhancing substances vary on a wide spectrum. Even among steroids alone there is great variation.

keg411
02-09-09, 10:02 AM
Well touche in that regard then. You're right, Mick was perhaps a bit of a scumbag. He was a womanizer and an alcoholic for sure, but there are other layers of his personality that are very likeable. A-Rod by comparison seems like a vapid fool. I'd hang out and have a drink with Mickey, not A-Rod.

So you're biased and hate him (A-Rod) personally. Which is why you're excusing the use of ampetamines. At least you are finally admitting it instead of pretending you are holier than thou and unbiased.

b_joseph
02-09-09, 10:22 AM
Ofcourse not.

I wont be wearing his jersey anymore but I'll still hope for him to perform very well.

tdel23
02-09-09, 10:31 AM
I can do without the drama, but I'll take him on my team any day of the week.

Hitman23
02-09-09, 10:41 AM

Guess it comes down to a matter of opinion. I don't like A-Rod. Sue me.I don't mean to hop on a bashing bandwagon here so I'll try to keep this as a discussion cuz everyone is getting on you. :lol:

You know what the media wants you to know about A-Rod cuz it's ok to pry and smear someone in the press now. I'm sure there are things you don't know about the Mick that you may not like because back then they didn't do that. And if they were to have done it (like they did with Maris) they wouldn't dare touch the mighty Mickey. I think it's unfair to make a general statement about Alex as a person unless you actually know him or have met him.

My grandfather used to drink with Mickey at the bar he and Whitey owned. He was a great guy, you are right, and you'd probably enjoy his company. But he was not by any means an upstanding citizen. He was nothing more than a Yankee great that got levelled up into mortality because that's what being a superstar in NY does to you when you win and when fans love you.

We, as a fanbase seem very impressionable to how the media paints players. It's sad to base your opinion on these things. When you focus on the negative you forget that there is a positive. And I'm sure Alex has many great things about him that we all should know but don't. The guy is not Satan. And I think it's unfair to call him a scumbag based on how the press smears him.

SkooterPhil#10
02-09-09, 10:55 AM
Yes, because cheating on your wife is morally superior to cheating in baseball. What a crock.

They both cheated on their wives, so that aspect is negated in judging how scummy they are compared to each other... I still say Alex is worse...for a myriad of reasons.

Mark19
02-09-09, 10:58 AM
I'm just waiting for the one event which galvanizes A-Rod and causes him to decide that enough is enough. Something has to transform him from this emotionally and psychologically damaged person into a real fearless leader. People keep kicking him while he is down. When do you finally stop caring about what others think?

SkooterPhil#10
02-09-09, 11:01 AM
So you're biased and hate him (A-Rod) personally. Which is why you're excusing the use of ampetamines. At least you are finally admitting it instead of pretending you are holier than thou and unbiased.

Woah, never said I hated him. I excuse the use of amphetamines because as I explained, they are relatively weak sauce compared to steroids in terms of effectiveness and potential for long-term harm.

You're using circular logic re: bias, by the way. I dislike him because he's a jerk, not because I'm "biased."

ArodMVP217
02-09-09, 11:33 AM
Don't you get it? Arod has invited all this on himself. Why get on 60 minutes and play Mr. High and Mighty? He has been trying to cultivate this bs all natural image for years. Of course they are going to get at him. The fans too. If the reports are true, he is a liar and a hypocrite.

maybe because he thought the results of the 03 test were not going to get out, as they should have and he has been clean before and after that test or at least for the most part.

SkooterPhil#10
02-09-09, 11:45 AM
maybe because he thought the results of the 03 test were not going to get out, as they should have and he has been clean before and after that test or at least for the most part.

Highly, highly unlikely.

ArodMVP217
02-09-09, 12:04 PM
you said it, it must be true

teknetic
02-09-09, 12:42 PM
Highly, highly unlikely.

:lol:

Mr.Muhozi
02-09-09, 12:48 PM
i'll be content with the drama as long as the homers and RBI's keeping coming in, here's to hoping he has a major 2009.

it's laughable some fan would like to get rid of a player who hits .300+ 35 103 on a bad year, his bad year is similar to most players good year,
i will still support a-rod call me a blind zealot or what not

Mantle'sMutt
02-09-09, 12:58 PM
I'm just waiting for the one event which galvanizes A-Rod and causes him to decide that enough is enough. Something has to transform him from this emotionally and psychologically damaged person into a real fearless leader. People keep kicking him while he is down. When do you finally stop caring about what others think?

When others don't care to think about him. (?) ;)

SkooterPhil#10
02-09-09, 12:58 PM
:lol:

Is it not unlikely that A-Rod just so happened to be tested the one time he roided?

Mantle'sMutt
02-09-09, 01:00 PM
i'll be content with the drama as long as the homers and RBI's keeping coming in, here's to hoping he has a major 2009.

it's laughable some fan would like to get rid of a player who hits .300+ 35 103 on a bad year, his bad year is similar to most players good year,
i will still support a-rod call me a blind zealot or what not

I'll go with what not. :) ;)

YankeePride1967
02-09-09, 01:06 PM
Let's deal with reality here. Alex isn't going anywhere unless he asks to and is willing to give sizable cocessions in his contract (which I doubt the MLBPA would allow). If they did find a taker, the Yankees, at minimum, would have to pay $100 million. Then don't expect much in return. And if cheating is the criteria for being on the Yanks, Alex won't be the first or even close to the last to be shown the door. He is here, he is likely going to stay here. I just hope that this mother of all crapstorms goes away sooner rather than later.

YankeePride1967
02-09-09, 01:07 PM
Highly, highly unlikely.

I'm going to wager that there are far more players in the league using a PED than not.

DontHateOnNumber2
02-09-09, 01:27 PM
I have and will continue to support Alex Rodriguez. Do I want him to retire? Hell no! Diamonds are forever, and so is Alex Rodriguez! WOOOOOOOOOOO!

TZeruk
02-09-09, 01:28 PM
This is one of the first things that came to my mind when the story broke.

I absolutely want ARod on the Yankees ... but I've got to admit, if I were in his shoes, retiring from the game would certainly pop into my mind. The past couple years for him have been a train wreck. He was so disliked even before this happened ... I'm not sure there's anything he can do for the remainder of his career that could repair the damage this has done.

JeterForPresident
02-09-09, 01:41 PM
This is one of the first things that came to my mind when the story broke.

I absolutely want ARod on the Yankees ... but I've got to admit, if I were in his shoes, retiring from the game would certainly pop into my mind. The past couple years for him have been a train wreck. He was so disliked even before this happened ... I'm not sure there's anything he can do for the remainder of his career that could repair the damage this has done.

Win the World Series and he'll be loved. Its that simple with most Yankees fans. Win and you're in.

Huktonfonix
02-09-09, 03:20 PM

I'm still curious whether you'd give back #26 because the hero of the 2000 season was a wifebeater and PED-user?

keg411
02-09-09, 03:30 PM
I'm still curious whether you'd give back #26 because the hero of the 2000 season was a wifebeater and PED-user?

How about 25 and 26. Clemens, Pettitte, Knoblauch... all in the Mitchell Report.

PlsDontTearDownY.S.
02-09-09, 03:36 PM
No way do I want Arod to retire. Just to be a top 3rd baseman and hammer the ball all over the park. Also to perform better in the postseason of course.

genius-24
02-09-09, 03:57 PM
Yes. Money can be better spent elsewhere.
I have lost faith in this dude long b4 this steroid scandel.

Huktonfonix
02-09-09, 09:06 PM
Yes. Money can be better spent elsewhere.
I have lost faith in this dude long b4 this steroid scandel.

Your username is rather ironic.

Hitman23
02-10-09, 11:49 AM

(that quote never gets old)I stole your quote, hope you don't mind. :cool: