JavyVazquezIsSick
02-05-09, 02:27 PM
Might as well ask.

1936-1939JoeNLou
02-05-09, 02:27 PM
3rd post!

The Dynasty
02-05-09, 02:28 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/jon_heyman/02/05/scoop.pedro/index.html?eref=si_mlb

DontHateOnNumber2
02-05-09, 02:31 PM
Might as well ask.

Seriously. Him turning it down doesn't surprise me at all though. Apparently he doesn't believe that he should have to earn his job again. He'd be right if his drop off wasn't so damned severe. I wonder if he'll ever be anything like he was 3 years ago.

YESSIR!
02-05-09, 02:37 PM
Hahaha, yes!

Mark19
02-05-09, 03:08 PM
He is going to regret that decision when he's a 300 lb. 34 year old DH for the Long Island Ducks.

TheHugeUnit2
02-05-09, 03:10 PM
I hope Cashman continues to offer some minor league deals to guys. As for Jones, what does he think is going to happen the Braves open the door to a starting job?

ksison
02-05-09, 03:27 PM
Haha Jones should be thankful he got an offer

bcom33
02-05-09, 03:30 PM
I'm glad we gave him an offer. Smart move.

bostonyankeefan
02-05-09, 03:58 PM
Dumb move by Jones. The Yankees job is up for grabs. Assuming that he can still play at a level comparable to a few years ago (not a given I understand), he could have come to camp and earned himself a starting job.

yanksphan
02-05-09, 04:05 PM
Dumb move by Jones. The Yankees job is up for grabs. Assuming that he can still play at a level comparable to a few years ago (not a given I understand), he could have come to camp and earned himself a starting job.

I agree - but this says a lot about AJ's confidence level knowing his competition was Brett & Melky.

Panamaniac42
02-05-09, 04:09 PM
I still can't believe how far he's fallen. And the fact that he began this sh*tting of the bed in a contract year.

ajra21
02-05-09, 04:32 PM
do we expect him to be a brave?

JohnnyDamonfan
02-05-09, 04:35 PM
I kinda can't understand why he turned this down.He would have probably gotten the Center Field job. Have you seen who is playing Center now?But, all in all Good for the Yankees trying.

sweet_lou_14
02-05-09, 05:10 PM
I kinda can't understand why he turned this down.He would have probably gotten the Center Field job. Have you seen who is playing Center now?But, all in all Good for the Yankees trying.

Seems to me it's all about the money. Unless the Yankees' offer had an incentive that gives him major-league dollars for making the major-league club, I'm not surprised at all that he would say no.

budstinks
02-05-09, 05:12 PM

What it would come down to me is how much was guaranteed IF I made the team.

If its for the league minimum, I'd go to some small market team so I can put in a comeback year that might hide some of my flaws from being prime time every night.

A player like Bernie could have played a couple more years for a lesser team before anyone truly noticed how much his skills had diminished.

That's not going to happen in NY where you are under the microscope EVERY night.

He'll sign once teams can start putting guys on the DL and a 40 man spot opens up.

False1
02-05-09, 05:23 PM
What it would come down to me is how much was guaranteed IF I made the team.

If its for the league minimum, I'd go to some small market team so I can put in a comeback year that might hide some of my flaws from being prime time every night.

A player like Bernie could have played a couple more years for a lesser team before anyone truly noticed how much his skills had diminished.

That's not going to happen in NY where you are under the microscope EVERY night.

He'll sign once teams can start putting guys on the DL and a 40 man spot opens up.LOL @ your sig.

Rocketbooster
02-05-09, 05:27 PM
Absolutely dumb of him. With our Gardner and Melky less than solid, Jones would have had a great chance of making the club........ I hope for his sake that he can get a ML deal from somewhere or else he may regret this. Hey, the Yanks took a shot; what can you do?

Jasbro
02-05-09, 07:09 PM
Despite his drop off, he'll get a real contract from a ML team soon. He won't be happy with the money, but he'll have a guaranteed contract at least.

JL25and3
02-05-09, 07:15 PM
Seems to me it's all about the money. Unless the Yankees' offer had an incentive that gives him major-league dollars for making the major-league club, I'm not surprised at all that he would say no.

The money really shouldn't make any difference. He's already got guaranteed money from the Dodgers.

DaSh 1s
02-05-09, 08:32 PM
As much as he sucks, I kinda wished he took it.

yankeesrule2000
02-05-09, 08:35 PM
I wish he took it too, but oh well.

JDPNYY
02-05-09, 09:06 PM
Thanks for nothin Druw.

Yankee Fan in Boston
02-05-09, 09:11 PM
The money really shouldn't make any difference. He's already got guaranteed money from the Dodgers.

And, you know, Manny should be happy with 1/$25 million or 2/$45 million. But it doesn't work that way with these guys.

JL25and3
02-05-09, 10:15 PM
And, you know, Manny should be happy with 1/$25 million or 2/$45 million. But it doesn't work that way with these guys.Huh? What does one have to do with the other?

Jones has a $15M contract with the Dodgers. If he signs a minor-league contract, he'll make $15M. If he signs a guaranteed major-league contract, he'll make $15M. If he signs a $5M guaranteed contract with incentives that could bring it to $12M, he'll make $15M.

Unless he signs for more than one year or for more than $15M, it makes no difference what his new contract pays.

TheInfallibleOne
02-05-09, 10:21 PM
was he in the mitchell report? because his dropoff happened at around the same time IIRC

NYYFutures17
02-05-09, 10:21 PM
Huh? What does one have to do with the other?

Jones has a $15M contract with the Dodgers. If he signs a minor-league contract, he'll make $15M. If he signs a guaranteed major-league contract, he'll make $15M. If he signs a $5M guaranteed contract with incentives that could bring it to $12M, he'll make $15M.

Unless he signs for more than one year or for more than $15M, it makes no difference what his new contract pays.

Just building on this, the point is that he wants a guarantee that he will be some team's Major League center fielder/outfielder.. He regressed and wants a little insurance if he can't return to form.

Yankee Fan in Boston
02-05-09, 10:24 PM
Huh? What does one have to do with the other?

Is that true? I thought he was just bought out, and anything he gets now is gravy. I could be wrong though, I didn't scour the news articles about him.

Anyway, my analogy was simplistic to say that these guys have an inflated sense of self worth. If the money doesn't matter, I think he still wants the guarantee of a major league deal -- much like Bernie a few years back.

YESSIR!
02-05-09, 10:40 PM
Is that true? I thought he was just bought out, and anything he gets now is gravy. I could be wrong though, I didn't scour the news articles about him.

Anyway, my analogy was simplistic to say that these guys have an inflated sense of self worth. If the money doesn't matter, I think he still wants the guarantee of a major league deal -- much like Bernie a few years back.

I thought the deal they worked out broke the $15MM down to pay it out over 5 or 6 six. This way Jones got his money, but it gave LAD financial relief for this year. I'm not sure what'd happen if he got something like a 1yr./$5MM deal.

DJeter13
02-05-09, 11:00 PM
i hope there is a way he reconsiders or the yanks offer him a contract with a spot on 40 man roster - whats 1 yr. $500,000 for the yanks?

PuffNettles9
02-05-09, 11:12 PM
would have had 2 Brand Jordan Athletes AND THE only 2 baseball players on Brand Jordan (DJ & AJ) on one major league team

JL25and3
02-05-09, 11:17 PM

Anyway, my analogy was simplistic to say that these guys have an inflated sense of self worth. If the money doesn't matter, I think he still wants the guarantee of a major league deal -- much like Bernie a few years back.He was released, so the Dodgers owe him his full salary minus whatever someone else signs him for.

I think a major-league contract is less important to him than a major-league job - it's not the money or the prestige, he wants to play. He might see a better opportunity elsewhere. If Texas really is interested, that would work for him - great chance to inflate offensive stats.

I thought the deal they worked out broke the $15MM down to pay it out over 5 or 6 six. This way Jones got his money, but it gave LAD financial relief for this year. I'm not sure what'd happen if he got something like a 1yr./$5MM deal.Yes, a lot of the money was deferred, but it still all counts as his salary for this year. He might get more of it up front with a bigger contract, but it shouldn't be a huge difference.

ericns1
02-05-09, 11:24 PM
See if this advice from Boras works out better than the advice he gave Varitek - not too upset over this one.

nyyanksfan20
02-06-09, 12:47 AM
It was worth a shot, but I still see him getting a major league deal elsewhere.

themgmt
02-06-09, 02:02 AM
This was just an attempt to keep the 40 man as is. Cash will try to trade someone on the 40 before offering a ML deal.

Yankee Fan in Boston
02-06-09, 02:20 AM
This was just an attempt to keep the 40 man as is. Cash will try to trade someone on the 40 before offering a ML deal.

From what I've heard about his approach and fitness, I am not sure he is worth a major league deal

themgmt
02-06-09, 02:29 AM
Neither is Cash, hence the MiL deal

ajra21
02-06-09, 04:40 AM
He was released, so the Dodgers owe him his full salary minus whatever someone else signs him for.

I think a major-league contract is less important to him than a major-league job - it's not the money or the prestige, he wants to play. He might see a better opportunity elsewhere. If Texas really is interested, that would work for him - great chance to inflate offensive stats.

Yes, a lot of the money was deferred, but it still all counts as his salary for this year. He might get more of it up front with a bigger contract, but it shouldn't be a huge difference.

texas would be good place for him but surely hamilton has the job there?

yankeetomer54
02-06-09, 06:46 AM
That would have been a good signing by Cash but now the Red Sox are going to grab him and he will hit 30 HR's.

JL25and3
02-06-09, 07:12 AM
texas would be good place for him but surely hamilton has the job there?The Rangers would like to move Hamilton to RF to save some wear and tear on his body.

dpbddd99
02-06-09, 07:18 AM
Waste of time and money to sign him.

YankeePride1967
02-06-09, 07:36 AM
Waste of time and money to sign him.

When all we have is Cabrera and Gardner and the risk is a minor league deal, I disagree.

TommyK8
02-06-09, 07:45 AM
When all we have is Cabrera and Gardner and the risk is a minor league deal, I disagree.I don't understand....why can't the Yankees move Johnny Damon back to center? I'm not trying to flame here....it's an honest question....He's making $13 million a year and most Yankee fans I've talked to said it was a good signing....but he could only play center for one full year? Put Damon in center, Nady in right, Swisher in left, Matsui is the DH, problem solved.

35Knucklecurve
02-06-09, 08:53 AM
Seriously. Him turning it down doesn't surprise me at all though. Apparently he doesn't believe that he should have to earn his job again. He'd be right if his drop off wasn't so damned severe. I wonder if he'll ever be anything like he was 3 years ago.
Something definitely happened - as you said, it wasn't just a gradual decline that you'd expect. PED's are always going to be a possibility these days. I doubt very seriously that he's ever going to come close to the player he was - he could practically play 10 steps behind 2nd and still run down a ball on the warning track. Really sad.

R.V.47
02-06-09, 08:58 AM
Something definitely happened - as you said, it wasn't just a gradual decline that you'd expect. PED's are always going to be a possibility these days. I doubt very seriously that he's ever going to come close to the player he was - he could practically play 10 steps behind 2nd and still run down a ball on the warning track. Really sad.

I think what happened was pretty simple, he got to big and started trying to hit the ball out every time up. PEDs are also a definite possibility.

kan_t
02-06-09, 09:13 AM
I don't understand....why can't the Yankees move Johnny Damon back to center? I'm not trying to flame here....it's an honest question....He's making $13 million a year and most Yankee fans I've talked to said it was a good signing....but he could only play center for one full year? Put Damon in center, Nady in right, Swisher in left, Matsui is the DH, problem solved.
It's a good signing because at LF, Damon is surprisingly above average in defence and offence. If he can't, it will be a bad signing. At CF, his defence is below average at best and his hitting may be affected too.

Personally, I don't want to mess his success up at LF.

teknetic
02-06-09, 10:42 AM
I don't understand....why can't the Yankees move Johnny Damon back to center? I'm not trying to flame here....it's an honest question....He's making $13 million a year and most Yankee fans I've talked to said it was a good signing....but he could only play center for one full year? Put Damon in center, Nady in right, Swisher in left, Matsui is the DH, problem solved.

Because Nady is most likely getting traded and Damon was amongst the better defensive LF'ers last year.

YESSIR!
02-06-09, 10:49 AM

There are actually a lot of Yankee fans (me included) that are hoping to see this alignment next year. Unless Melky or Gardner really break out, which isn't exactly an even-money bet, I like Nady/Damon/Swisher, left to right.

b_joseph
02-06-09, 10:58 AM
Because Nady is most likely getting traded and Damon was amongst the better defensive LF'ers last year.I dont know, I would imagine that Nady would have been moved by now if he was ever going to be traded.

I guess they could have Damon in Center half of the time and use Gardner/Melky for the other 81 games with Damon playing LF during those times.
That way, Damon, Swish and Nady all probably get 400+ AB's.

As for Jones, a minor league deal is a good idea. It wouldnt surprise me if he takes a deal of that kind someplace when he realizes that he has no leverage.

JohnnyDamonfan
02-06-09, 11:30 AM
That would have been a good signing by Cash but now the Red Sox are going to grab him and he will hit 30 HR's.

Is this sarcasm? My sarcasm meter is broken but, really why do the Red Sox need him? They got Jacoby Ellsberry. He didn't want a Minor League contract by the Yankees he wouldn't want one by the Sox. I don't think he'd accept being a bench guy either. He wants to start and the Red Sox are not going to make him their starting Center Fielder.

RYMASTER or Ryan_Yankees
02-06-09, 12:01 PM
The Rangers would like to move Hamilton to RF to save some wear and tear on his body.

I don't think he'd adjust well - I hear he's a creature of habit.

TEPLimey
02-06-09, 12:32 PM
I'm kind of surprised he turned the Yankees down. They are probably the only playoff contender where he will have a pretty good shot of winning the CF job outright. Its not like the money matters anyway, he's getting paid the same amount regardless.

DaSh 1s
02-06-09, 12:35 PM
texas would be good place for him but surely hamilton has the job there?

There was a report that Hamilton is moving to right. I don't have the link nor do I feel like searching for it. Sorry.

EDIT: Oops got beat to it

yanksphan
02-06-09, 12:52 PM
I don't think he'd adjust well - I hear he's a creature of habit.

:lol:

2JAY
02-06-09, 02:03 PM
With the Yankees CF job up for grabs at this point, I'm surprised that Jones wasn't up for the challenge.

JL25and3
02-06-09, 02:33 PM
I don't think he'd adjust well - I hear he's a creature of habit.Well played, sir.

YankeePride1967
02-06-09, 02:37 PM

That is the route I would take as well. The Yanks were able to get by with Bernie in center with his arm from 02-05 when he couldn't throw Roseanne Barr out at home if she were on first base. at least Damon can get to a ball. I actually agree with your plan.

JohnnyDamonfan
02-06-09, 02:41 PM
There are actually a lot of Yankee fans (me included) that are hoping to see this alignment next year. Unless Melky or Gardner really break out, which isn't exactly an even-money bet, I like Nady/Damon/Swisher, left to right.

Me too! Have Gardner be a backup for Damon. For example if we have a day/night double header. Damon can play Center in the afternoon with Gardner playing Center at the night game. I like this idea.

themgmt
02-06-09, 03:02 PM
Only way I take that defensive alignment is if Gardner puts up a sub .340 OBP. If Gardner's stealing bases, tracking everything down in the field, and isn't making too many outs, he'll be fine. What he lacks in power he makes up for somewhat in speed. Nady would still have more total bases even if you were to count steals but it's something to consider.

Damon LF = +
Gardner CF = +
Swisher RF = +

Nady LF = 0
Damon CF = -
Swisher RF = +

Nady will put up better offensive numbers easily but he does have a career .335 OBP.. if Gardner eclipses that mark, added with having 3 + defenders in the outfield and more speed on the bases, it's probably closer to a wash all told. I wouldn't mind it either way but it would nice to have a solid defensive outfield for a change. Hinges on Gardner's OBP.

NyQuil
02-06-09, 03:06 PM
Me know, me know..

Maybe hes still mad about 1996.

Ghost of Dan Pasqua
02-06-09, 03:09 PM
There was a report that Hamilton is moving to right. I don't have the link nor do I feel like searching for it. Sorry.

EDIT: Oops got beat to it

"The Rangers did work out center fielder Andruw Jones. They were intrigued by the possibility of a reclamation project. But with Marlon Byrd, Josh Hamilton, Nelson Cruz and David Murphy around, the Rangers just don't see it as a fit right now."

The news about Jones' offer came out yesterday, but the offer was made a month ago. Atlanta hasn't stepped up and now the Rangers are backing off. My bet is that Jones comes back to the Yankees and asks them if the minor league deal is still on the table (which it should be) and he signs with them.

http://trsullivan.mlblogs.com/archives/2009/02/friday_happy_hour_at_the_elysi_35.html

primetime714
02-06-09, 03:28 PM
Only way I take that defensive alignment is if Gardner puts up a sub .340 OBP. If Gardner's stealing bases, tracking everything down in the field, and isn't making too many outs, he'll be fine. What he lacks in power he makes up for somewhat in speed. Nady would still have more total bases even if you were to count steals but it's something to consider.

Damon LF = +
Gardner CF = +
Swisher RF = +

Nady LF = 0
Damon CF = -
Swisher RF = +

Nady will put up better offensive numbers easily but he does have a career .335 OBP.. if Gardner eclipses that mark, added with having 3 + defenders in the outfield and more speed on the bases, it's probably closer to a wash all told. I wouldn't mind it either way but it would nice to have a solid defensive outfield for a change. Hinges on Gardner's OBP.

Yea most projections have the defensive difference between at about 15 points better with Gardner in CF, Damon in LF, and Swisher in RF than with a Damon, Nady, Swisher OF. So with that in mind you see what Gardner can give you offensively. However I fully expect Girardi to go to the Damon, Nady, Swisher OF fairly often and wouldn't even be all that surprised if he made it his regular OF. That depends on what Gardner can provide, but its certaintly well within the range of possibility that he has an OBP lower than around .335. In September when he was actually hitting pretty well (.283 for the month) his OBP was .321.

Although if you look at the CHONE projections the have Gardner sporting a .341 OBP which is higher that what is projected for Nady (.327) and would be enough to keep him in the regular starting lineup even without any power.

I'd still expect to see a decent amount of the Nady, Damon, Swisher OF though. I'd imagine at the very least we'd always go to that lineup when Wang is starting.

sweet_lou_14
02-06-09, 04:52 PM
"The Rangers did work out center fielder Andruw Jones. They were intrigued by the possibility of a reclamation project. But with Marlon Byrd, Josh Hamilton, Nelson Cruz and David Murphy around, the Rangers just don't see it as a fit right now."

The news about Jones' offer came out yesterday, but the offer was made a month ago. Atlanta hasn't stepped up and now the Rangers are backing off. My bet is that Jones comes back to the Yankees and asks them if the minor league deal is still on the table (which it should be) and he signs with them.

http://trsullivan.mlblogs.com/archives/2009/02/friday_happy_hour_at_the_elysi_35.html

Very interesting.

If he comes here, am I going to be able to overcome my irrational hatred of the ridiculous spelling of his first name? I hate it almost as much as I hate "Chone." Almost.

Derek2HOF
02-06-09, 05:46 PM
Chone is so much worse! For several seasons I thought the guys name sounded like phone.

Rocketbooster
02-06-09, 05:48 PM

I must be missing something - where in the link does it say that the offer was made a month ago?

JL25and3
02-06-09, 06:52 PM
Very interesting.

If he comes here, am I going to be able to overcome my irrational hatred of the ridiculous spelling of his first name? I hate it almost as much as I hate "Chone." Almost.At least Jones has an excuse. He's from Curacao, and I think "Andruw" is a Dutch variant.

ajra21
02-06-09, 07:45 PM
Yea most projections have the defensive difference between at about 15 points better with Gardner in CF, Damon in LF, and Swisher in RF than with a Damon, Nady, Swisher OF. So with that in mind you see what Gardner can give you offensively. However I fully expect Girardi to go to the Damon, Nady, Swisher OF fairly often and wouldn't even be all that surprised if he made it his regular OF. That depends on what Gardner can provide, but its certaintly well within the range of possibility that he has an OBP lower than around .335. In September when he was actually hitting pretty well (.283 for the month) his OBP was .321.

Although if you look at the CHONE projections the have Gardner sporting a .341 OBP which is higher that what is projected for Nady (.327) and would be enough to keep him in the regular starting lineup even without any power.

I'd still expect to see a decent amount of the Nady, Damon, Swisher OF though. I'd imagine at the very least we'd always go to that lineup when Wang is starting.

i'd be quite happy if brett put up an 341OBP.

Ghost of Dan Pasqua
02-06-09, 11:21 PM
I must be missing something - where in the link does it say that the offer was made a month ago?

"The Yankees offered centerfielder Andruw Jones a minor-league contract last month and Jonesí agent, Scott Boras, turned it down, Yankees general manager Brian Cashman confirmed to Newsday on Thursday."

http://www.ajc.com/services/content/sports/braves/stories/2009/02/05/andruw_jones_yankees.html

Rocketbooster
02-07-09, 12:10 AM
"The Yankees offered centerfielder Andruw Jones a minor-league contract last month and Jonesí agent, Scott Boras, turned it down, Yankees general manager Brian Cashman confirmed to Newsday on Thursday."

http://www.ajc.com/services/content/sports/braves/stories/2009/02/05/andruw_jones_yankees.html

Thanks!

On the Hot Stove show, they talked about this. Verducci basically thinks that Jones is going to have to go for a minor league deal because teams have concerns as to whether he's worth a spot (at this point) on the 40 man roster. Jones is going to have to prove himself all over again......and, frankly, that's how it should be. I think he's made a mistake here. If Jones had a good spring with the Yankees, he'd be the starting CF, I don't think there's any doubt about it. It's either pride with him or lack of confidence.

Zimmers' Helmet
02-07-09, 01:48 AM
Jones is holding out hope that Atlanta will offer him anything before he considers going anywhere else. If the Braves offer him a minor league contract he'll take it.

Jones regrets leaving Atlanta and wants to go back.

Question is : Will they have any interest?

ajra21
02-07-09, 06:40 AM
Jones is holding out hope that Atlanta will offer him anything before he considers going anywhere else. If the Braves offer him a minor league contract he'll take it.

Jones regrets leaving Atlanta and wants to go back.

Question is : Will they have any interest?

for a minimum salary they may as well.

themgmt
02-07-09, 03:05 PM
Maybe if he goes to the Rangers the Yankees can get a certain someone for the bench

Rocketbooster
02-07-09, 04:23 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ti-jonesrangers020709&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

He sees opportunity with the Rangers and not the Yankees ? Sheesh.

Brooklyn Yankee Fan
02-07-09, 04:25 PM

That's what I'm saying.

I'll be perfectly honest. If he were to sign with us, came into spring training in shape and played well, I could have seen him beating out Gardner/Melky for the starting job.

themgmt
02-07-09, 04:41 PM

He's baiting the Yankees to get a major league deal.

jimmykey2
02-07-09, 05:03 PM

He sees an opportunity to put up numbers in the NUMBER ONE hitters' park in baseball for 2008. That's one way to raise your value for a multi-year deal in 2010.

Michaels07
02-07-09, 08:33 PM
He`s fat, out of shape and has a hole in his bat.

Rocketbooster
02-07-09, 09:15 PM
He see an opportunity to put up numbers in the NUMBER ONE hitters' park in baseball for 2008. That's one way to raise your value for a multi-year deal in 2010.

True.......

ajra21
02-08-09, 12:03 PM
That's what I'm saying.

I'll be perfectly honest. If he were to sign with us, came into spring training in shape and played well, I could have seen him beating out Gardner/Melky for the starting job.

there is no doubt that he still has talent. an in-shape and focussed jones could beat out many of the league's centre-fielders.

Breyean
02-08-09, 12:12 PM
http://blogs.nypost.com/sports/st/archives/2009/02/rangers_to_sign.html

The Rangers (http://shots.snap.com/explore/76922/?key=06028f986cd52d8275d29a0001c8914b&svc=Snap_Shot_Custom%257CNew_York_Post%257CNYPost_Sports_Teams%257CWithAds&tag=New%20York%20Rangers&src=&cp=&asp=Rangers&dfs=10&tol=engage) New York Rangers http://i.ixnp.com/images/v3.67/t.gif will announce in the next few days that they have signed center fielder Andruw Jones to a minor league contract that will pay him a base salary of $500,000 if he makes the majors, the Post has learned.
Jones will also have an opportunity to make $1 million more in bonuses, but to earn that total, he would have to be close to a full-time player, which is dubious at best.

ajra21
02-08-09, 12:17 PM

is he still a centre fielder for them if he makes the team? surely hamilton holds that position. then again, splitting that job might keep them both healthy. the don't have a DH as bradley signed with the cubbies.

JDPNYY
02-08-09, 01:16 PM

The Rangers (http://shots.snap.com/explore/76922/?key=06028f986cd52d8275d29a0001c8914b&svc=Snap_Shot_Custom%257CNew_York_Post%257CNYPost_Sports_Teams%257CWithAds&tag=New%20York%20Rangers&src=&cp=&asp=Rangers&dfs=10&tol=engage) New York Rangers http://i.ixnp.com/images/v3.67/t.gif will announce in the next few days that they have signed center fielder Andruw Jones to a minor league contract that will pay him a base salary of $500,000 if he makes the majors, the Post has learned.
Jones will also have an opportunity to make $1 million more in bonuses, but to earn that total, he would have to be close to a full-time player, which is dubious at best.

He knows how to play hockey?

nnysiny
02-08-09, 01:39 PM
He knows how to play hockey?
maybe if he gets his range back he could be their goalie?

JL25and3
02-08-09, 03:39 PM
is he still a centre fielder for them if he makes the team? surely hamilton holds that position. then again, splitting that job might keep them both healthy. the don't have a DH as bradley signed with the cubbies.

http://www.star-telegram.com/284/story/1177168.html

The Texas Rangers might not be through moving All-Star players to new positions.

Josh Hamilton, come on down.

"Hamilton has got to go to right [field]," club president Nolan Ryan said last week. "He’s too big to be a center fielder. It’s too demanding on him.

"We put him in right to help save him. Then we put [Nelson] Cruz or [Marlon] Byrd in center."
Or Andruw Jones.

hardrain
02-08-09, 03:52 PM

Gotta remember that Jones has always said that he hates cold weather...
He once said he would never want to willingly sign/play for a Northern, Cold weather team.

CallOfTheCrow
02-08-09, 03:53 PM
"Hamilton has got to go to right [field]," club president Nolan Ryan said last week. "He’s too big to be a center fielder. It’s too demanding on him.

Well it's a good thing they signed the gazelle-like Andruw Jones to take over.

Rocketbooster
02-08-09, 04:46 PM
Gotta remember that Jones has always said that he hates cold weather...
He once said he would never want to willingly sign/play for a Northern, Cold weather team.

Oh yeah, I do think I remember that......

TNM5
02-08-09, 05:04 PM
"Hamilton has got to go to right [field]," club president Nolan Ryan said last week. "Heís too big to be a center fielder. Itís too demanding on him.

Thats hilarious! lol.
ESPN's article claims the reason he is choosing the rangers is for the batting coach. Has he lost that much faith in his swing?

nnysiny
02-08-09, 05:21 PM
"Hamilton has got to go to right [field]," club president Nolan Ryan said last week. "Heís too big to be a center fielder. Itís too demanding on him.

Nolan Ryan wasnt referring to a 4th/5th outfielder like Andruw

DaBliz
02-08-09, 05:26 PM
Even though he's fat, Jones still can play a decent to good center field.

JL25and3
02-08-09, 05:42 PM
Thats hilarious! lol.
ESPN's article claims the reason he is choosing the rangers is for the batting coach. Has he lost that much faith in his swing?I should hope he has.

DaSh 1s
02-08-09, 09:20 PM
As much as I wanted him to accept our minor league offer, what a smart smart smart smart man. Get far away from this ballclub. If you are trying to resurrect your career, this is the absolute last place you should try. Especially in a time like now.

Kudos Andruw.

TheInfallibleOne
02-08-09, 09:27 PM
Betcha the Rangers trade him at the deadline. If they can fix him, they will get one hell of a haul for him, and in the offseason he will be an easy Type A, guatanteed to decline arb.

Yankee Fan in Boston
02-08-09, 09:30 PM
Betcha the Rangers trade him at the deadline. If they can fix him, they will get one hell of a haul for him, and in the offseason he will be an easy Type A, guatanteed to decline arb.

He won't be an easy Type-A given his numbers last year

JL25and3
02-08-09, 09:40 PM
He won't be an easy Type-A given his numbers last yearYeah, I'd say there's zero chance that he's a Type A.

yank4life2005
02-08-09, 10:39 PM
If he is having a good ST he will likely opt out on March 20th and look for a bigger deal somewhere else.

ajra21
02-09-09, 12:27 PM
mods, can we close this thread now? he's a ranger.