View Full Version : Circuit City will not be down for breakfast

RhodyYanksFan
01-17-09, 08:57 AM
Economy 1, 2nd biggest consumer electronics store 0

Sad state of affairs.

http://www.circuitcity.com/closed.html

Casey37
01-17-09, 09:03 AM
When it rains it pours. 34,000 people are losing their jobs in the US. How sad.

RhodyYanksFan
01-17-09, 09:06 AM
Ridiculously sad. I always wondered how both CC and Best Buy stayed in business. Especially since they're always within a mile of eachother. They were usually within $20-50 of eachother on big ticket items.

fredgmuggs
01-17-09, 09:13 AM
I made several big ticket electronic purchases last year... all from internet electronic retailers.

Price competition is what it is all about.

RhodyYanksFan
01-17-09, 09:19 AM
I made several big ticket electronic purchases last year... all from internet electronic retailers.

Even with shipping a 40lb television it was cheaper online?

fredgmuggs
01-17-09, 09:25 AM
Even with shipping a 40lb television it was cheaper online?

Yep... by quite a bit, in fact. There are some great deals on the internet from very reputable etailers. If you had to return something that was defective that may be a problem but knock wood I didn't have to deal with that. Although, that certainly was something I had to consider when purchasing online.

Big_E
01-17-09, 09:30 AM
Circuit City sucked...no surprise it's going out of business

yankees2287
01-17-09, 09:37 AM
what sucks is that i filled out an application online for circuit city about an hour before they made the announcement

NYYFAN
01-17-09, 09:38 AM

I agree...totally incompetent...

NYYFAN
01-17-09, 09:40 AM

I bought a new LCD TV for my son from Crutchfield (sp) via the Internet...great price, free shipping, free setup and no tax...

fredgmuggs
01-17-09, 09:42 AM
I agree...totally incompetent...I haven't been all that impressed by Best Buy, either.

The Big Box mortar and brick electronic retailer will always have their place but they're going to find it difficult to compete price-wise with etailers. And who isn't trying to save a buck these days?

fredgmuggs
01-17-09, 09:45 AM
I bought a new LCD TV for my son from Crutchfield (sp) via the Internet...great price, free shipping, free setup and no tax...we bought a DLP TV from Crutchfield and a LCD TV from BuyDig.com.

Perfectly satisfied with my transaction with them in all respects. I wouldn't hesitate to do business with either of them again.

RhodyYanksFan
01-17-09, 09:50 AM
we bought a DLP TV from Crutchfield and a LCD TV from BuyDig.com.

Perfectly satisfied with my transaction with them in all respects. I wouldn't hesitate to do business with either of them again.

Thanks for the sites.

SalingerNY
01-17-09, 09:55 AM
I'm not surprised by this. I haven't walked into a Circuit City in years.

4bronxbombers
01-17-09, 10:05 AM
I never bought anything at Circuit City and Best Buy ain't so great.....but I do feel badly for everyone losing their job. yikes.:(

Yankeeah
01-17-09, 10:25 AM

Circuit city wasn't great, but Best Buys is the most pathetic excuse for a store. I hate that store with a passion.

PC Richards, Electronics Expo and MicroCenter are the stores to go to.

yankeesAZ
01-17-09, 10:27 AM
Circuit City was in trouble even before the crisis. This was a poorly managed company from top to bottom.

They got what they deserved, though it sucks for those employees who are out of a job. Doubtful, that the CEO and the board of directors are stressing much about their next job.

Eldee5
01-17-09, 10:42 AM
I bought a new LCD TV for my son from Crutchfield (sp) via the Internet...great price, free shipping, free setup and no tax...
Crutchfield is great. They have products that are next to impossible to find anywhere else and great customer service. I've purchased from them several times and have never been disappointed. They really know what they're doing.

BTW, here's a link for some Crutchfield coupon codes for discounts if anyone can use them:

http://www.xpbargains.com/st_deals.php/Crutchfield_coupons.htm

Big_E
01-17-09, 10:56 AM
Circuit city wasn't great, but Best Buys is the most pathetic excuse for a store. I hate that store with a passion.

PC Richards, Electronics Expo and MicroCenter are the stores to go to.

Best Buy at least you could find things....I went into a Circuit City here in Huntington, and wanted to find some DVD's...was looking for "The Green Berets" with John Wayne. Couldn't find it...you know why? It was under W for Wayne!!!! Most of their titles were alphabetical by title, but then some were under the actor...WTF?

Then...a while later my son wanted to get some new video games...so we tried them again...and all their titles were behind the counter. How was a 10-year old supposed to browse the games, if they're 20-30 feet away? He didn't know what game he wanted, he wanted to browse...

Stupid effing store...

BonusCantos
01-17-09, 10:59 AM
Even with shipping a 40lb television it was cheaper online?I bought my new 32" TV through Dell's website; I spent less than $600 on the whole thing including tax. I was considering CC but I saved at least $50 buying it online. Best Buy's prices weren't really even close to what I was willing to spend.

Steve Dalkowski
01-17-09, 11:20 AM
what sucks is that i filled out an application online for circuit city about an hour before they made the announcement...so did you get the job?

NYYDragoon
01-17-09, 11:33 AM
Circuit City is where I purchased my Wii a few years ago; they were the only store in the Boston area in stock.

...and that's the only time I ever went to the place.

TheYankee
01-17-09, 11:44 AM
Circuit City was in trouble even before the crisis. This was a poorly managed company from top to bottom.

They got what they deserved, though it sucks for those employees who are out of a job. Doubtful, that the CEO and the board of directors are stressing much about their next job.
^This.

I have a friend that had worked his way into a management position in the company. He said he was shocked at how poorly money was spent, resources were allocated, and he said the general quality of employees was lacking. He told me last year he expected full liquidation by sometime this year.

Zippythepinhead
01-17-09, 12:07 PM
I've never really understood why people shop at Circuit City or Best Buy. I think the last time I bought something at either place was 2002, and I "needed" to get something they happened to have left in stock while other places had run out. I didn't shop there much before, but I decided never to go back when a security guard asked to see my receipt 3 feet after I left the checkout line (and had already put the receipt away in my workbag).

But I usually shop online if I'm focused on cost or at higher end independents if I want service. The Circuit Citys of the world seem stuck in between.

xenochimera
01-17-09, 02:46 PM
hopefully we get some good deals out of this.

yankeesAZ
01-17-09, 02:49 PM
^This.

I have a friend that had worked his way into a management position in the company. He said he was shocked at how poorly money was spent, resources were allocated, and he said the general quality of employees was lacking. He told me last year he expected full liquidation by sometime this year.

My mother also worked in the corporate offices (legal dept) and she was shocked at what she saw sometimes. Haven't spoken to her since this story broke, but I bet there is no shock they are shutting down and she felt the same way as your friend and this is when the economy was booming.

hopefully we get some good deals out of this.

As we discussed before in other threads liquidators jack up the price first (they have nothing to do with CC at this point), then plaster the "50% off" tag. For example, they take a $1000 TV, jack the price to $1600, then given you 50% off, so your real savings is $200 in that example with no returns allowed. There can be deals, but do your research first. Some of these liquidators will even sell merchandise at "75% off" or whatever that were never even sold in the store to begin with.

4bronxbombers
01-17-09, 04:10 PM
I've never really understood why people shop at Circuit City or Best Buy. I think the last time I bought something at either place was 2002, and I "needed" to get something they happened to have left in stock while other places had run out. I didn't shop there much before, but I decided never to go back when a security guard asked to see my receipt 3 feet after I left the checkout line (and had already put the receipt away in my workbag).

But I usually shop online if I'm focused on cost or at higher end independents if I want service. The Circuit Citys of the world seem stuck in between.

We just bought a laptop and got it at Best Buy. I wouldn't know where else to buy something like that. Well, I guess we could have gotten it at Staples or something. :dunno: And I don't particularly care for Best Buy either, but that's the place I think of for TVs, laptops, etc.

yankees2287
01-17-09, 04:27 PM
...so did you get the job?

haha guess I'll never know now LOL

GordonGecko
01-17-09, 04:34 PM
I buy at most 5% of my electronics at Best Buy when I need something right away. Who's stupid enough not be buying for cheaper and without tax online?

4bronxbombers
01-17-09, 04:35 PM
I buy at most 5% of my electronics at Best Buy when I need something right away. Who's stupid enough not be buying for cheaper and without tax online?

You're saying people who buy things at Best Buy are stupid?

GordonGecko
01-17-09, 04:35 PM
You're saying people who buy things at Best Buy are stupid?
yes :D

yankeesAZ
01-17-09, 05:10 PM
"Your "Best Buys" are always at Fry's!"

Fry's Electronics that is. ;)

Sorry to those of you that don't have one.

Jersey Yankee
01-17-09, 10:49 PM
what sucks is that i filled out an application online for circuit city about an hour before they made the announcement
I've heard since mid-November that their business wasn't so stable. Best Buy may be more likely to stick around.

26 and counting
01-17-09, 11:33 PM
Eh. There's too much electronics in this world anyways. Doesn't anybody read books anymore?

yankeesAZ
01-18-09, 01:25 AM
Eh. There's too much electronics in this world anyways. Doesn't anybody read books anymore?

On an "Amazon Kindle". ;)

DEADSOX
01-18-09, 01:29 AM
Has anyone gone and checked out the sales yet? I'm thinking about taking a trip tomorrow to check it out.

teknetic
01-18-09, 09:56 AM
Has anyone gone and checked out the sales yet? I'm thinking about taking a trip tomorrow to check it out.

You probably won't save much at all. I walked in there yesterday and it was packed and they didn't have nearly enough employees to handle it (think Black Friday crowd with a Sunday staff)

Edit: Typo

GordonGecko
01-18-09, 10:00 AM
You probably save much at all. I walked in there yesterday and it was packed and they didn't have nearly enough employees to handle it (think Black Friday crowd with a Sunday staff)
Yeah if it's anything like CompUSA's clearance most people will be conned into coming in and paying full price for just about everything. They usually have a handful of doorbusters to get you in the store but at super limited quantities and then barely anything is below prices you can find online. Only after a few weeks do they lower prices a few %, but by then there's nothing left you want anyways

TheYankee
01-18-09, 11:42 AM
You probably save much at all. I walked in there yesterday and it was packed and they didn't have nearly enough employees to handle it (think Black Friday crowd with a Sunday staff)Talked to my friend who works at Circuit City.

He told me that they had more business today than on Black Friday. He also said that the deals are highly misleading. He said the liquidator comes in and resets most prices to MSRP, then knocks off 10% or whatever, and calls it a sale. He said in a lot of cases, you're either paying more for the product, or could have gotten it much cheaper on Black Friday.

yankeesAZ
01-18-09, 01:25 PM
http://www.pcworld.com/article/157925/circuit_city_i_wont_miss_you.html

"I suspect that nobody's really surprised that Circuit City has finally bitten the dust (http://www.pcworld.com/article/157842/circuit_city_to_liquidate_remaining_stores.html?tk=rel_news). The fading electronics chain had been in a death spiral for quite some time, and all the cost-cutting in the world couldn't save it in the end. While a dreadful economy contributed to its downfall, Circuit City's real problem was getting stuck with bad management that ultimately drove the company out of business.

Let's backtrack a bit. Back in March 2007, Circuit City fired more than 3,400 experienced sales people (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17837882/) and other staffers simply because they were making too much money. Management then hired inexperienced, lower-paid workers to take their place. Bad move. Really bad move. This short-sighted decision may have looked good to then-CEO Philip Schoonover, who collected a cool multi-million bonus that year for his cost-cutting brilliance, but I'm convinced that it drove shoppers elsewhere."

DEADSOX
01-18-09, 01:41 PM
drove by there today and it was RIDICULOUS, I didn't even bother going it. They had signs outside that read, "up to 30% off" big freaking deal..

NYYDragoon
01-18-09, 02:29 PM
The one in our area only had a small selection of items at 10% off. Not worth it yet.

GordonGecko
01-18-09, 07:32 PM
The one in our area only had a small selection of items at 10% off. Not worth it yet.
Yeah it's never worth it. They invented newegg for a reason

yankeesAZ
01-18-09, 07:37 PM

If hordes of people keep showing up, the liquidators can just sit tight at 10-30% off.

GordonGecko
01-18-09, 09:57 PM
If hordes of people keep showing up, the liquidators can just sit tight at 10-30% off.
Those liquidators are professionals with PHDs running pricing models for them. This isn't your grandfather's "everything must go sale!"

Soriambi
01-18-09, 10:01 PM

I actually saw something on the news a few weeks ago about liquidators and it said that they actually mark many things up and hope that people will buy them assuming that they're marked down because they're going out of business (and many people do.) As time passes, they lower the prices, but at the beginning of a liquidation sale you can often find better prices at places that aren't going out of business, according to the report I heard. (I just read that TheYankee said this as well. :))

Steve Dalkowski
01-18-09, 10:08 PM
Those liquidators are professionals with PHDs running pricing models for them. This isn't your grandfather's "everything must go sale!"
I should have gotten my degree in liquidation.

yankeesAZ
01-19-09, 12:25 AM
I actually saw something on the news a few weeks ago about liquidators and it said that they actually mark many things up and hope that people will buy them assuming that they're marked down because they're going out of business (and many people do.) As time passes, they lower the prices, but at the beginning of a liquidation sale you can often find better prices at places that aren't going out of business, according to the report I heard. (I just read that TheYankee said this as well. :))

Did you see the part where the liquidator was selling Persian rugs "on sale" of course, that were never even sold in the store to begin with?

TheYankee
01-19-09, 02:18 AM
http://www.pcworld.com/article/157925/circuit_city_i_wont_miss_you.html
"I suspect that nobody's really surprised that Circuit City has finally bitten the dust (http://www.pcworld.com/article/157842/circuit_city_to_liquidate_remaining_stores.html?tk=rel_news). The fading electronics chain had been in a death spiral for quite some time, and all the cost-cutting in the world couldn't save it in the end. While a dreadful economy contributed to its downfall, Circuit City's real problem was getting stuck with bad management that ultimately drove the company out of business.

Let's backtrack a bit. Back in March 2007, Circuit City fired more than 3,400 experienced sales people (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17837882/) and other staffers simply because they were making too much money. Management then hired inexperienced, lower-paid workers to take their place. Bad move. Really bad move. This short-sighted decision may have looked good to then-CEO Philip Schoonover, who collected a cool multi-million bonus that year for his cost-cutting brilliance, but I'm convinced that it drove shoppers elsewhere."Yep, I remember when that happened. And you're right. They fired them simply because they were "making too much money." They had good sales people raking in close to $100,000 sometimes, and it was more than the store managers were making, so management got jealous. Just a silly overall decision. After they fired these employees, they got rid of commissions as I understand it as well. What blows my mind is if sales people are making almost $100,000 a year, doesn't that mean they're doing a damn good job selling products for you?

NyQuil
01-19-09, 08:04 AM

Of course not. The Harry Potter series is finished.

BronxBaumer
01-19-09, 08:10 AM
Yep, I remember when that happened. And you're right. They fired them simply because they were "making too much money." They had good sales people raking in close to $100,000 sometimes, and it was more than the store managers were making, so management got jealous. Just a silly overall decision. After they fired these employees, they got rid of commissions as I understand it as well. What blows my mind is if sales people are making almost $100,000 a year, doesn't that mean they're doing a damn good job selling products for you?

They think anyone can sell -- that it is not a skill. Speaking as a former sales person, this is a crock of crap. It takes a lot of work to keep up with your product and your competitors product, the changes in technology, and then be able to convey them effectively to the client -- a lot of this involving at home time. No talented individual is going to do it at $8/hour for long. I left Sears when they radically changed our commission plan simply because it represented a $6-8/hour pay cut.