PDA

View Full Version : Michael Kay was at the Same New Years Party Last Night

CyYoung4Vazquez
01-01-09, 01:55 PM
Was actually a really nice guy. Spoke to me about the Yankees for a good 30 minutes.

Tehasguard
01-01-09, 01:56 PM
Was actually a really nice guy. Spoke to me about the Yankees for a good 30 minutes.

Did he say CYA! when he walked away?

Edit: Did say anything interesting about the NYY?

Soriambi
01-01-09, 02:01 PM
That's cool. I've never heard anything negative about Kay as a person (talking to fans, etc.)

4bronxbombers
01-01-09, 02:10 PM
His head fit through the door? :lol: Just kidding - that's very cool. Did he say anything memorable about the Yanks?

yankeebot
01-01-09, 02:11 PM
Did you by any chance think to tell him that the first "H" in Hughes is not silent?

4bronxbombers
01-01-09, 02:12 PM
Did you by any chance think to tell him that the first "H" in Hughes is not silent?

:lol:

wexy
01-01-09, 02:13 PM
In the old days, he would come down in the upper boxes and sit with the fans during the innings when he wasn't broadcasting. Met him once in Boca and he was friendly.

PinstripePride
01-01-09, 02:19 PM
I feel like I'm one of the few who really like Kay. Good to hear he's a friendly guy.

Panamaniac42
01-01-09, 02:24 PM
Any use of the terms "Damaclean sword", "inauspicious debut", or "fallacy of the predetermined outcome"?

Tehasguard
01-01-09, 02:27 PM
I feel like I'm one of the few who really like Kay. Good to hear he's a friendly guy.

If you look around the league, some teams have awfull broadcasters

and I'm not even talking about national tv...

The fact that he is surrounded by Yankees makes him a guy who can ask silly questions and just do the play-by-play

4bronxbombers
01-01-09, 02:28 PM

I like him and I like his show too.

bigjf
01-01-09, 02:29 PM
He was at my party too last night. Did some commentary during Yankees Classics.

That's pretty cool though. Where was the party?

penfold
01-01-09, 02:41 PM
Count me as one of Michael Kay's fans.

I like the fact that he uses the occasional SAT word!
;)

Yankees1962
01-01-09, 03:23 PM
I like Kay despite his critics on this board.

cupcollector99
01-01-09, 03:27 PM
It's easy to jam on a guy like Kay from afar because we disagree with this or that he says but it's not so easy when you meet in person.
A lot of media types I've encountered over the years have been very easy going despite their on screen persona.

cliftonite
01-01-09, 03:43 PM
Hearing other broadcasters via MLB.TV has led me to believe that Kay is in the upper echelon of broadcasters. So of them are HORRENDOUS.

stupidpunchline
01-01-09, 03:52 PM
I don't think this board gives Kay enough credit. Not a single person here could do what he does. The guy has the mental endurance to do 100 games a year, some odiously unmanageable in length.

JDPNYY
01-01-09, 03:53 PM
He was at my party for a while too. Nice enough guy. We talked hockey.

ArodEra
01-01-09, 04:11 PM
At about 4am I saw Kay running through the streets nude, shouting, "Wooo, we're streaking!"

a-RobinsonCano-Fan
01-01-09, 04:13 PM
seems like he jus spent the night party hoppin around

JDPNYY
01-01-09, 04:14 PM
At about 4am I saw Kay running through the streets nude, shouting, "Wooo, we're streaking!"

Holy crap, he told me he was gonna do that. I didn't believe him.

ieddyi
01-01-09, 09:26 PM
I don't think this board gives Kay enough credit. Not a single person here could do what he does. The guy has the mental endurance to do 100 games a year, some odiously unmanageable in length.

And some of them not even crisply played either!!!!!!

Derek2HOF
01-01-09, 10:33 PM
Derek Jeter was at the same party I was at! I asked him if he would mind letting one of his dates hang out with me for a while and he let me pick from the group! What a nice guy!

NYYFAN
01-01-09, 11:48 PM
we went to different schools together...

I like Mikey too...

CyYoung4Vazquez
01-02-09, 09:37 AM
It was at the Blondies on the Upper West Side.

koko
01-02-09, 12:36 PM
I had the pleasure of working with him, back in the day...when he did TV work for FOX Sports (1997-98).

I didn't meet one nicer TV personality or sports figure. Rich Eisen and Wayne Gretzky were close though.

Kay went out fo his way to introduce himself to me. I was just a production intern at the time.

BillBuckner
01-02-09, 12:50 PM
That's a cool story. Good for you man. :gulp:

b-ball-lunachick
01-02-09, 02:23 PM
I had the pleasure of working with him, back in the day...when he did TV work for FOX Sports (1997-98).

I didn't meet one nicer TV personality or sports figure. Rich Eisen and Wayne Gretzky were close though.

Kay went out fo his way to introduce himself to me. I was just a production intern at the time.
:eek: is that really a koko sighting? :D hope all is well!!

b-ball-lunachick
01-02-09, 02:25 PM
I like him too -- I talked to him for awhile a few times at Spring Training and he couldn't have been nicer...he had a baseball with him that he had some signatures on from that day and gave it to a young kid which was nice too. :)

cyhughes22
01-02-09, 02:30 PM
Well Roger Clemens and I were doing HGH shots off of Kellie Pickler on New Years Eve so...kinda makes your story seem not as cool doesn't it.:P

Soriambi
01-02-09, 02:45 PM

I like him, too. He definitely has his flaws as an announcer, but he's much better than most of the announcers around the league; we're lucky to have him. He also seems to want to improve (notice how the unmanageable stuff disappeared? He probably got a lot of complaints that it was annoying, so he dropped it.)

Snatch Catch
01-02-09, 03:57 PM
All of these guys were better before their egos got inflated and they felt that they carried more knowledge and worth than they actually do.

Kay and Sterling together on the radio were fantastic back in the day. Now they both are being asked to fill juiced up versions of themselves. Both (especially Sterling) seem more than happy to oblige.

WashingtonYankee
01-02-09, 09:30 PM
That's awesome! :)

The Q Bomb
01-03-09, 12:34 AM
I briefly met Kay in Spring Training about 9 or 10 years ago and he was very cordial and accomodating when I asked to take a picture with him and then my camera didn't work. While I do criticize his various aspects of his broadcasting and talk show, I also recognize how well he handles aspects of both and agree that he seems very nice in person.

I love his ESPN commercial with the weird "Brobot" guy. The look on his face when the guy asks for his pin number is priceless!