PDA

View Full Version : 2008 Winter Meetings Discussion Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3

YanksFan1992
12-07-08, 11:04 PM
For all the news, rumors and fabrications that are fit to type.

yankeesrule2000
Thanks for making this thread. I was going to do it earlier..

YanksFan1992
http://yankees.lhblogs.com/2008/12/07/cashman-gets-it-started-in-vegas/

In a fortunate bit of serendipity, my cab pulled up to the Bellagio at the same the Yankees were gathering to go out for dinner.

My keen news sense told me to try and ask Brian Cashman a question or two. But he had his phone pressed against his ear from the moment he walked outside until he stepped into the cab. But one team official said that Cashman “was able to get some business done.”

That likely means he met with somebody. I haven’t been able to confirm it yet, but it could well have been CC Sabathia.

I did notice that Cashman was wearing one of his World Series rings. It’s unusual for Cashman to wear one of the paperweight-sized rings. Perhaps he was trying to impress somebody.

So while I didn’t get a chance to talk to Cashman, I did snap this photo of he and Joe Girardi heading for their cab. I’m going to go stakeout the lobby now to try and get him when he returns.

THEBOSS84
12-07-08, 11:05 PM
Around the majors, no?

Michaels07
12-07-08, 11:08 PM
Around the majors, no?

Not if it pertains to the Yankees.

YanksFan1992
12-07-08, 11:10 PM
Not if it pertains to the Yankees.

And if it doesn't, who cares, right? ;)

NYYDragoon
12-07-08, 11:23 PM
Joel Sherman was just on Miked up and said that, according to the GMs he has talked to so far at the winter meetings, Sabathia does not want to sign with the Yankees. He is waiting for someone to at least get close to the Yankee offer.

Take it for whatever that's worth, which is basically nothing.
This week is going to be awesome.

YanksFan1992
12-07-08, 11:26 PM
This week is going to be awesome.

If Sabathia signs let's say a 6 year, 110 million dollar deal with the Angels, how hated does he become by Yankees fans?

NYYDragoon
12-07-08, 11:27 PM
If Sabathia signs let's say a 6 year, 110 million dollar deal with the Angels, how hated does he become by Yankees fans?I'd still hate the Angels more.

JeterForPresident
12-07-08, 11:28 PM
If Sabathia signs let's say a 6 year, 110 million dollar deal with the Angels, how hated does he become by Yankees fans?

I'd love to have him pitch for us because he is a very good pitcher, but he has every right to sign anywhere he wants for whatever he wants. I'd leave $30 mil on the table and take that deal from the Yanks if the Angels offered me 6/$140.

dabomb2045
12-07-08, 11:29 PM

Hated big time. Its obvious this guy wants no part of NY. And even if he does come here, it will only be for the $$$ and I wonder how much of himself he will really put into helping the Yanks win.

ZIM 2002
12-07-08, 11:35 PM
I would think the new stadium would entice him at least a little...

JeterForPresident
12-07-08, 11:38 PM
Hated big time. Its obvious this guy wants no part of NY. And even if he does come here, it will only be for the $$$ and I wonder how much of himself he will really put into helping the Yanks win.

Just because he hasn't signed yet makes it obvious he wants no part of NY??? I don't see the connection there. If it is true that he requested a meeting with Cash, that to me would hint at one of two things. Either he is telling Cashman in person that he isn't interested which doesn't really make much sense, or he really is interested in hearing what the Yankees are all about.

Even if he just does come here for the money, what about CC makes him any less of a competitor than he has always showed himself to be. These guys don't get to the big leagues by fooling around and not playing hard, it takes hardwork and dedication for years to be able to compete at the major league level. So, why should I guy all of a sudden stop doing all that because he decided to wait before signing a mega 6 year deal?

yankeesrule2000
12-07-08, 11:45 PM
Tigers just acquired Gerald Laird.

Gusto
12-07-08, 11:52 PM
I'd still hate the Angels more.

Does this mean you aren't giving us 100% hate already?

dabomb2045
12-07-08, 11:54 PM
Just because he hasn't signed yet makes it obvious he wants no part of NY??? I don't see the connection there. If it is true that he requested a meeting with Cash, that to me would hint at one of two things. Either he is telling Cashman in person that he isn't interested which doesn't really make much sense, or he really is interested in hearing what the Yankees are all about.

Even if he just does come here for the money, what about CC makes him any less of a competitor than he has always showed himself to be. These guys don't get to the big leagues by fooling around and not playing hard, it takes hardwork and dedication for years to be able to compete at the major league level. So, why should I guy all of a sudden stop doing all that because he decided to wait before signing a mega 6 year deal?

I think its obvious that with the economy the way it is, and the lack of teams who can pay him...there is nobody who will even come remotely close to the Yanks offer. Good chance Milwaukee's 100M offer will remain the 2nd best. The Angels are focused on Tex. Does anyone really see the Giants spending $110M+ on another starter? Their payroll is very limited. The Dodgers dont seem interested at all. So in terms of teams who are a) interested and b) can legitimately afford him....only the Yanks fit both categories. Milwaukee obviously wants him but their offer isnt gonna go any higher.

CC has to know this $140M offer is the best he's gonna get. I dont see this changing. I could see waiting if there were like 3-4 teams interested and could legimately comes close or surpassing the Yanks offer.... cuz by waiting you can continue to drive up the offers. But this isnt the case here. $140M is easily the highest he is gonna get. So unless you are a) not very interested and b) praying another team comes remotely close to that offer....why continue to wait?

IMO he doesnt wanna end up a Yankee. I think he's just holding out hope that SF, Anaheim or LA comes up with a miracle offer at least somewhat close (maybe $115-$120M) so he can sign there.

False1
12-07-08, 11:58 PM
Tigers just acquired Gerald Laird.Link?

YanksFan1992
12-08-08, 12:01 AM
Link?

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/8910862/Source:-Tigers-acquire-catcher-Laird-from-Rangers?CMP=OTC-K9B140813162&ATT=49

yankeesrule2000
Link?

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/8910862/Source:-Tigers-acquire-catcher-Laird-from-Rangers?CMP=OTC-K9B140813162&ATT=49

ARoDfan4life
Link?

Ken Rosenthal says the Tigers acquired Laird for Moscoso and a second prospect. The second prospect "is a 17-year-old who spent last season in the Dominican Summer League." The deal will be announced Monday. Laird, a Scott Boras client, is under team control through 2010.

Rosenthal adds that the Tigers are considering Adam Everett and Nick Punto as shortstop options.

teknetic
12-08-08, 01:38 AM
I think its obvious that with the economy the way it is, and the lack of teams who can pay him...there is nobody who will even come remotely close to the Yanks offer. Good chance Milwaukee's 100M offer will remain the 2nd best. The Angels are focused on Tex. Does anyone really see the Giants spending $110M+ on another starter? Their payroll is very limited. The Dodgers dont seem interested at all. So in terms of teams who are a) interested and b) can legitimately afford him....only the Yanks fit both categories. Milwaukee obviously wants him but their offer isnt gonna go any higher.

CC has to know this $140M offer is the best he's gonna get. I dont see this changing. I could see waiting if there were like 3-4 teams interested and could legimately comes close or surpassing the Yanks offer.... cuz by waiting you can continue to drive up the offers. But this isnt the case here. $140M is easily the highest he is gonna get. So unless you are a) not very interested and b) praying another team comes remotely close to that offer....why continue to wait?

IMO he doesnt wanna end up a Yankee. I think he's just holding out hope that SF, Anaheim or LA comes up with a miracle offer at least somewhat close (maybe $115-$120M) so he can sign there.

He's not gonna sign here and crap the bed because no one else ponied up. Although that's pretty much exactly what we'll see in the newspapers and these forums if he did struggle.

ober0n98
12-08-08, 04:54 AM

i think we can all agree that we can't assume either way. "these guys" you mention also include carl pavano. he never fooled around or played hard did he? oh wait, he did...

JavyVazquezIsSick
12-08-08, 07:33 AM
Come on Kershaw and Kemp for Cano+!!

the_coach
12-08-08, 07:50 AM

Of course you have to make that deal, but it isn't happening.

But I liked what I read about Cano in the Star Ledger yesterday...

http://www.nj.com/yankees/

It's about time.

HITTER23
12-08-08, 07:57 AM

It would take alot more than that, throw in Hughes.

wang+cano=future
12-08-08, 07:58 AM

Seconded!

ARoDfan4life
12-08-08, 09:44 AM
Seconded!
Third if it brings me Kershaw

ARoDfan4life
12-08-08, 09:47 AM
From the Take It For What It's Worth Department: The meeting between the Yankees and CC Sabathia is characterized by a source as having gone "great."
via Buster Olney (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/print?id=3753853&type=blogEntry)

PJMPirate
12-08-08, 10:20 AM

I don't see any reason he should be hated. I mean, if he wants to play in Cali and raise his family there he has every right to do so.

montrealer
12-08-08, 10:23 AM
Rumour has it Cashman`s watching Captain Kangaroo without his pants......

JohnnyDamonfan
12-08-08, 10:32 AM
I don't see any reason he should be hated. I mean, if he wants to play in Cali and raise his family there he has every right to do so.

The only reason I'd hate Sabathia for playing on the Angels is he's playing on a team that is hated by me and has dominated us over the past years. I wouldn't hate Sabathia as a person just nthe team he plays on.

McMoose
12-08-08, 10:52 AM
Of course you have to make that deal, but it isn't happening.

But I liked what I read about Cano in the Star Ledger yesterday...

http://www.nj.com/yankees/

It's about time.

Good find. Cano hitting well all season could make up for a lot of that anemic 2008 offense. I wonder why he changed his swing though, from a non-mechanical visual standpoint, it was awesome.

Pleasantly shocked, Kevin Long? Good to hear...

Roberto Kelly
12-08-08, 10:52 AM
via Buster Olney (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/print?id=3753853&type=blogEntry)

nice..

effdamets
12-08-08, 10:57 AM
The winter meetings - at this point - are not producing enough information to satisfy me... Hurry up you morons.... and do something! :lol:

wang+cano=future
12-08-08, 11:09 AM
The winter meetings - at this point - are not producing enough information to satisfy me... Hurry up you morons.... and do something! :lol:

:lol: 3 hour time difference (assuming you are on the East Coast).

Gusto
12-08-08, 11:10 AM
nice..

I would have preferred to read words like "productive", "encouraging" and "progressive". "Great" is too generic to get excited about.

THEBOSS84
12-08-08, 11:11 AM
Miguel Tejada is on the block.

justtxyank
12-08-08, 11:11 AM

Of course he is. The Astros need to dump payroll and Tejada isn't very good.

effdamets
12-08-08, 11:13 AM
:lol: 3 hour time difference (assuming you are on the East Coast).
Hold on....

If something happens... the news does not take 3 hours to come east.

DaSh 1s
12-08-08, 11:14 AM
Hold on....

If something happens... the news does not take 3 hours to come east.

No, what he meant was that it is 9 am there. Everyone is enjoying their complementary Breakfast Buffet.

effdamets
12-08-08, 11:44 AM
No, what he meant was that it is 9 am there. Everyone is enjoying their complementary Breakfast Buffet.
I think everyone there ended their enjoyment of the complimentary breakfast buffet at around 7am...

Now once again, like I've said before.... Hurry up morons... Do something! :D

Ynkcpt23
12-08-08, 11:47 AM
I think everyone there ended their enjoyment of the complimentary breakfast buffet at around 7am...

Now once again, like I've said before.... Hurry up morons... Do something! :D

You're talking to the wrong segment of the population there--the morons are hungover and are very much still lounging at the breakfast buffet...

ARoDfan4life
12-08-08, 11:55 AM

So is Victor Martinez.

BTW laugh or cry ?

A.J. Burnett seems more interested in pitching in New York than CC Sabathia, the Yankees' other top free-agent target. While Sabathia sits on the Yankees' offer of the richest-ever pitching contract and reportedly met with GM Brian Cashman, Burnett has reached out to former Yankee Carl Pavano, who did not steer him away from the Yankees. Pavano, who did not enjoy his New York experience, told Burnett "he has the stuff to pitch there," according to a major-league source.

The rumor that just won't go away

As the Dodgers try to resolve their infield, they are again talking to the Yankees about a trade for second baseman Robinson Cano. The teams have resumed their discussions about Cano at the winter meetings, according to one source.
The Dodgers also are interested in Yankees center fielder Melky Cabrera, and the Yankees likely would want outfielder Matt Kemp and pitching in return.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/8912072

I'd want Kershaw, no Kershaw no deal, Robi is at his lowest value right now.

CallOfTheCrow
12-08-08, 12:07 PM
Cano & Melky for Kemp, Kershaw & Megan Fox.

bcom33
12-08-08, 12:08 PM

I'd settle for Leighton Meester if Megan Fox isn't available.

ARoDfan4life
12-08-08, 12:10 PM
I'd settle for Leighton Meester if Megan Fox isn't available.

She's already NY property.

OldYankeeFan
12-08-08, 12:12 PM
Melky for Megan Fox

CallOfTheCrow
12-08-08, 12:21 PM
Melky for Megan Fox

That works just fine too.

JL25and3
12-08-08, 12:21 PM
Rumour has it Cashman`s watching Captain Kangaroo without his pants......Is there any other way to watch it?

NYYDragoon
12-08-08, 12:38 PM
So is Victor Martinez.

BTW laugh or cry ?

So there's a good possibility that the Yankees will give Burnett what he wants if the CC plan falls through. Awesome...

effdamets
12-08-08, 12:39 PM
So there's a good possibility that the Yankees will give Burnett what he wants if the CC plan falls through. Awesome...
One bad thing though.
Burnett is not an ace.
CC is.
Then the Yankees have a 2, a 2a and a 5.

I don't like it.

NYYDragoon
12-08-08, 12:41 PM
One bad thing though.
Burnett is not an ace.
CC is.
Then the Yankees have a 2, a 2a and a 5.

I don't like it.That wasn't a legit "awesome". Notice the ellipsis that followed it.

yankeesrule2000
12-08-08, 12:41 PM
Sorry But I will pack Cano's bags for him for Kemp and Kershaw.

The Dynasty
12-08-08, 12:42 PM
Sorry But I will pack Cano's bags for him for Kemp and Kershaw.

We all would.

montrealer
12-08-08, 12:42 PM

Well.........the lunch buffet will be beginning soon.

effdamets
12-08-08, 12:43 PM
That wasn't a legit "awesome". Notice the ellipsis that followed it.
Oh....

(for the record - I am not a Burnett fan at all....)

Roberto Kelly
So is Victor Martinez.

BTW laugh or cry ?

The rumor that just won't go away

I'd want Kershaw, no Kershaw no deal, Robi is at his lowest value right now.

The yanks seem very willing to move cano. I wonder what they know about him that we don't know that seemingly makes them so willing to trade him. you can say the same thing for the dodgers' willingness to part w/ kemp.

yankeesrule2000
So if the meeting between CC and Cash went so great, why has he not signed on the dotted line?

NYYRules#1
12-08-08, 12:46 PM

Kershaw for Cano is more likely, and even that's a stretch, IMO.

If Cashman could pull off Kershaw and Kemp for Cano and Melky (or something along those lines), he'll be amazing.

I want me some Kershaw. Joba + Kershaw + Hughes + Brackman + Betances all in the Yanks' system = :drool:

NYYDragoon
12-08-08, 12:47 PM
So if the meeting between CC and Cash went so great, why has he not signed on the dotted line?"Great" doesn't imply that a positive deal was made. It could have very well been that they came to an understanding that they won't be doing business.

R.V.47
12-08-08, 12:48 PM
Kershaw for Cano is more likely.

If Cashman could pull off Kershaw and Kemp for Cano and Melky (or something along those lines), he'll be amazing.

I want me some Kershaw. Joba + Kershaw + Hughes + Brackman + Betances all in the Yanks' system = :drool:

I dont think we could get both Kershaw and Kemp for Cano. Maybe a lesser player and Kershaw for Cano maybe Andre Ethier who is a very good player.

YankeePride1967
12-08-08, 12:49 PM
"Great" doesn't imply that a positive deal was made. It could have very well been that they came to an understanding that they won't be doing business.

Exactly. And I don't think CC is going to act fast just to soothe impatient fans.

NelsonMuntz
12-08-08, 01:00 PM
"Great" doesn't imply that a positive deal was made. It could have very well been that they came to an understanding that they won't be doing business.
I think that is highly unlikely.

Tifoso
12-08-08, 01:04 PM

Nice:)

ARoDfan4life
12-08-08, 01:05 PM
I dont think we could get both Kershaw and Kemp for Cano. Maybe a lesser player and Kershaw for Cano maybe Andre Ethier who is a very good player.

I don't give a damn if they send me Andrew Jones I just want Kershaw. I have 3 names in my mind which would make me not blink once in moving Robi, Lincecum, Kershaw, Liriano. Any of those 3 I'll fly to D.R. myself and personally make sure he gets there.

NYYRules#1
12-08-08, 01:18 PM

I'd agree with this. Kershaw and Kemp for Cano+ is basically a Yankees fan's wet dream. Take Kemp out of the equation and replace him with a lesser player (I'd go for Ethier), and it's possible if the Dodgers are really interested in Cano.

I'd rather have Kershaw than Kemp, not even close. I'd rather the Yanks try to get Kershaw in a potential Cano deal first, and then move to talking about Kemp if it's obvious Kershaw won't be dealt under any circumstances.

BonusCantos
12-08-08, 01:20 PM
So if the meeting between CC and Cash went so great, why has he not signed on the dotted line?I think it just means something constructive took place in their discussion. What that is, we don't know.

wang+cano=future
12-08-08, 01:21 PM
I'd agree with this. Kershaw and Kemp for Cano+ is basically a Yankees fan's wet dream. Take Kemp out of the equation and replace him with a lesser player (I'd go for Ethier), and it's possible if the Dodgers are really interested in Cano.

I'd rather have Kershaw than Kemp, not even close. I'd rather the Yanks try to get Kershaw in a potential Cano deal first, and then move to talking about Kemp if it's obvious Kershaw won't be dealt under any circumstances.

Yep. There is no no no way the Dodgers are stupid enough to trade Kershaw for Cano, let alone Kershaw and Kemp for Cano. Stud young lefty starting pitchers are one of the rarest commodities in baseball that are not given up easily.

justtxyank
12-08-08, 01:21 PM
I'd take Ethier in a heartbeat as well. We'd have to move a player though after the fact, like Nady or someone.

ARoDfan4life
12-08-08, 01:26 PM
I'd take Ethier in a heartbeat as well. We'd have to move a player though after the fact, like Nady or someone.

Did I miss something in Ethier ?

justtxyank
12-08-08, 01:27 PM
Did I miss something in Ethier ?

What do you mean? I think we are all just randomly speculating about the Dodgers players.

ARoDfan4life
12-08-08, 01:28 PM
According to Paul Hagen of the Philadelphia Daily News, the Phillies have inquired on Twins outfielder Delmon Young. Hagen believes the Twins would want shortstop prospect Jason Donald in return.

hmm...

ARoDfan4life
12-08-08, 01:28 PM
What do you mean? I think we are all just randomly speculating about the Dodgers players.

He's not even on the market.

ucfjon
12-08-08, 01:30 PM
Kershaw is the guy Torre compared to Sandy Koufax, right? Although, I guess he also compared Cano to Rod Carew.

justtxyank
12-08-08, 01:30 PM
He's not even on the market.

I don't think we have any idea who is on the market.

ARoDfan4life
12-08-08, 01:33 PM
I don't think we have any idea who is on the market.

Till now his name hasn't even been spoken of, I doubt a clutch bat like him goes anywhere, the Dodger fanbase loves him opposite on Kemp.

Billy Ball 2008
12-08-08, 01:36 PM
Till now his name hasn't even been spoken of, I doubt a clutch bat like him goes anywhere, the Dodger fanbase loves him opposite on Kemp.

Ethier was the odd man out coming out of ST last year. Maybe the Dodgers will want to gamble and trade him now that he has peak value coming off of a great year.

shadyridr
12-08-08, 01:36 PM
Trading Cano for Kershaw is basically giving up on this season, no? The guy is only 21 yrs old and we cant go through the same growing pains as Hughes. Call me crazy but Id rather Kemp. A guy with 30/30 potential who will contribute right away. Or if we want a pitcher Id rather Billingsly than Kershaw. Also another pitcher with stud potential who will contribute right away. I want young players but Id be upset trading away Cano for potential only (which Kershaw is at this time).

ARoDfan4life
12-08-08, 01:40 PM
Trading Cano for Kershaw is basically giving up on this season, no? The guy is only 21 yrs old and we cant go through the same growing pains as Hughes. Call me crazy but Id rather Kemp. A guy with 30/30 potential who will contribute right away. Or if we want a pitcher Id rather Billingsly than Kershaw. Also another pitcher with stud potential who will contribute right away. I want young players but Id be upset trading away Cano for potential only (which Kershaw is at this time).

*spits out whatever food I was eating*

KERSHAW >>>>>>>>>>>>> KEMP/BILLINGSLEY

Snatch Catch
12-08-08, 01:42 PM

I can definitely see the argument for Billingsley over Kershaw. That's a pretty easy argument to make.

THEBOSS84
12-08-08, 01:43 PM
I can definitely see the argument for Billingsley over Kershaw. That's a pretty easy argument to make.

Based on where they are in their respective careers, yes.

ARoDfan4life
12-08-08, 01:44 PM
And still Kershaw has the better future.

rhodehead
12-08-08, 02:09 PM
there is no way the dodgers give up Kershaw or even Billz, that is a pipe dream. Maybe a guy like Scott Elbert or something, but i have to believe both of their young stallions would be off the table.

i think we have seen the best andre ethier has to offer and while i would not mind that on my team, he is not really a strong corner OF and unless we are getting some serious pitching along with him, I would hang onto Cano.

if the dodgers are even considering Kemp for Cano, Cashman should be thinking long and hard about it. Kemp could develop into a legit middle of the order bat and would provide sound defense in centerfield. And as much as I like Cano and his potential, I like Kemp's more.

ARoDfan4life
12-08-08, 02:17 PM
there is no way the dodgers give up Kershaw or even Billz, that is a pipe dream. Maybe a guy like Scott Elbert or something, but i have to believe both of their young stallions would be off the table.

i think we have seen the best andre ethier has to offer and while i would not mind that on my team, he is not really a strong corner OF and unless we are getting some serious pitching along with him, I would hang onto Cano.

if the dodgers are even considering Kemp for Cano, Cashman should be thinking long and hard about it. Kemp could develop into a legit middle of the order bat and would provide sound defense in centerfield. And as much as I like Cano and his potential, I like Kemp's more.

Don't even try to sell Kemp on the defense, he is average to horrible when it comes to OF defense, has laziness issues average to at times unwatchable plate discipline, Donnie Baseball had to read him the riot act, this is a big risk player, great talent but great risk attitude/discipline/effort wise , pipe dream or not Cano for Kershaw would be my demand if the Dodgers say no, then that's the Dodgers I don't want to sell Cano at his low point unless it's a big player and Kershaw is as big as it gets.

Snatch Catch
12-08-08, 02:20 PM
And still Kershaw has the better future.

You state this as if it's fact.

Billingsley has already arrived. Kershaw has not. There's something to be said for that.

THEBOSS84
12-08-08, 02:21 PM
You state this as if it's fact.

Billingsley has already arrived. Kershaw has not. There's something to be said for that.

Throwing 200+IP of 135 ERA+ is quite the arrival.

JavyVazquezIsSick
12-08-08, 02:23 PM
I know I'm the minority, but I'm not sure I'd take Kershaw for Cano.

Brooklyn Yankee Fan
12-08-08, 02:23 PM
I'm playing Madden 09 on Xbox Live right now, and guess who I am playing.

Some player whose Gamertag "Kershaw" in it.

A sign?

smckdwn989
12-08-08, 02:24 PM

probably the minority, but I feel the same way. i really think cano will rebound and have a huge season. then again, i thought the same thing about him this past season.

ARoDfan4life
12-08-08, 02:24 PM
What's his first name ?

rhodehead
12-08-08, 02:29 PM
"has laziness issues average to at times unwatchable plate discipline, Donnie Baseball had to read him the riot act, this is a big risk player, great talent but great risk attitude/discipline/effort wise"

i thought you were talking about cano there for a second...

THEBOSS84
12-08-08, 02:30 PM

Last time I said I'd take Kershaw for Cano you accused me of being in love with prospects. I'd easily make that trade.

ARoDfan4life
12-08-08, 02:31 PM
How can anybody say no to this (http://mlb.mlb.com/media/video.jsp?mid=200808173326902)

bmxstreetrider86
12-08-08, 02:32 PM
What's his first name ?

clayton

ARoDfan4life
12-08-08, 02:33 PM
clayton
I was refering to the football gamer.

montrealer
12-08-08, 02:37 PM

Colour me in that minority.....

JavyVazquezIsSick
12-08-08, 02:38 PM
Last time I said I'd take Kershaw for Cano you accused me of being in love with prospects. I'd easily make that trade.

Stop making things up. I'm sure I didn't accuse you of that based solely on you wanting to make that trade.

THEBOSS84
12-08-08, 02:39 PM
Stop making things up.

This 100% happened!

NDBoston
12-08-08, 02:43 PM
From MLB Blogs

http://hotstove.mlblogs.com/

Dodgers general manager Ned Colletti knocked down a Foxsports.com report that he is "again talking" to the Yankees about acquiring second baseman Robinson Cano, with the Yankees interested in Matt Kemp and pitching.
"It'd be nice to talk first," Colletti said.
The Dodgers do need a second baseman with Jeff Kent a free agent and possibly retiring, but Colletti has be consistently reluctant to deal Kemp because of his youth and potential. The Dodgers also are in no position to be dealing pitching, as they are looking to replace six free-agent pitchers, most notably Derek Lowe, Brad Penny, Greg Maddux, Joe Beimel and Chan Ho Park.
Dodgers interest in Cano is logical, as manager Joe Torre and third-base coach Larry Bowa had him with the Yankees. -- Ken Gurnick

JavyVazquezIsSick
12-08-08, 02:44 PM
This 100% happened!

See edit.

MisterNovember
12-08-08, 02:46 PM
If Kemp can play a good CF then I love this deal. Cano really lost a lot of his luster for me with his lazy performance last year. Get it done Cash, then sign Orlando Hudson to a short term deal.

JavyVazquezIsSick
12-08-08, 02:48 PM
From MLB Blogs

http://hotstove.mlblogs.com/

They definitely want Cano, we'll see how badly. I have a lot of faith Cash can rape Colletti.

ARoDfan4life
If Kemp can play a good CF then I love this deal. Cano really lost a lot of his luster for me with his lazy performance last year. Get it done Cash, then sign Orlando Hudson to a short term deal.

Google Matt Kemp and defense plus clubhouse I think you'll rethink this.

OldYankeeFan
Colour me in that minority.....
Me too. I just don't see the value in giving up a proven everyday all-star level player for a young pitcher with promise (we already have enough of those anyway) when with this years bumper crop you can get an experienced proven pitchers in FA without giving up any talent.

NYYRules#1
12-08-08, 02:54 PM
Me too. I just don't see the value in giving up a proven everyday all-star level player for a young pitcher with promise (we already have enough of those anyway) when with this years bumper crop you can get an experienced proven pitchers in FA without giving up any talent.

Kershaw is only one of the best pitching prospects in the game. He has no history of arm troubles whatsoever. He is 20 years old. He has one of the nastiest curveballs I have ever seen.

Need any more reasons to trade for him?

Guys like Burnett, Sheets, etc., all are extremely injury prone and a hell of a lot older than Kershaw. I'd rather have Kershaw right now, TBH.

And there's no such thing as having too many young pitchers with promise.

DEADSOX
12-08-08, 03:18 PM
People that have been drooling over everything dodgers:

Abraham:

Dodgers general manager Ned Colletti just said, literally two minutes ago, that has not had any talks with the Yankees since July.

So those rumors about talks involving Robinson Cano and Matt Kemp are false.

And for Peavy:

As for now, Scott Boras is hiding out backstage. But the ever-gracious Kevin Towers did stop to speak to reporters.

Attention fans of the New York Yankees: Forget Jake Peavy.

Forget. Jake. Peavy.

Towers made it clear that Peavy has no interest in playing in the American League. Towers has even gone so far as tried to come up with a trade with the NL West, something he would rather not do.

“I had brief conversation with Ned (Colletti, the GM of the Dodgers) but some of the names I mentioned might have scared him off,” Towers said. “It’s hard to make a deal within the division.”

Towers said, in essence, that the Padres will either trade Peavy to the Cubs or hold onto him. Their preference is to trade him, otherwise they risk having one player take up 25 percent of their payroll.

Jim Hendry stood about 30 feet away from Towers talking about the same thing, albeit with less specifics.

I find it really interesting The Yanks haven't talked to the Dodgers at all..

OldYankeeFan
12-08-08, 03:34 PM
Guys like Burnett, Sheets, etc., all are extremely injury prone and a hell of a lot older than Kershaw. I'd rather have Kershaw right now, TBH.
Not me. I'd rather have Burnett and Cano rather than Kershaw and (most likely) Hudson.

Yes Kershaw has a great curve, but so does Buchholtz and Hughes. And for me Kershaw falls into that category. A young kid with lots of promise but has thrown only 107 innings in MLB and was 5-5 with a 4.25 ERA with a 1.5 whip (in the NL West). A good start but not enough for me to consider him "proven", give up Cano and then hope he doesn't go through some of the growing pains that most kids do go through. We will probably have to nurse both Joba and Hughes through a full season. At this point I really wouldn't want to worry about a 3rd youngster in the rotation. I'd rather have Burnett right now.

In any event I think its a moot point as the LAD are losing too much pitching to trade Kershaw.

ieddyi
12-08-08, 04:22 PM
Seconded!

Not sloppy seconds I hope:)

jonesey202
12-08-08, 04:36 PM
As much as I hate to say it, I see Ben Sheets in our future. We are not going to get Burnett, and I don't see Lowe comming to the Yankees. We're going to get CC, meaning Sheets will be the only second option left. He won't comand the money and the years that the others do, so the injury risk isn't as big as it would be if he did. He is not the best 2nd option, but he's going to have to be the second option.

teknetic
12-08-08, 04:41 PM
Ben Sheets is far and away the better option.

Healthy: Better pitcher than Burnett and Lowe, by a good margin.
Not Healthy: The contract/years aren't crippling.

justtxyank
12-08-08, 04:45 PM
Ben Sheets is far and away the better option.

Healthy: Better pitcher than Burnett and Lowe, by a good margin.
Not Healthy: The contract/years aren't crippling.

I don't agree with this. If healthy I think Burnett is the better pitcher.

Snatch Catch
12-08-08, 04:47 PM
I don't agree with this. If healthy I think Burnett is the better pitcher.

I'm not sure how you can say this. Sheets has pitched to a level that Burnett has never even dreamed of. Sheets' best season makes Burnett's best season look like Ponson droppings.

Brooklyn Yankee Fan
12-08-08, 04:48 PM
Found this on other forums I am a member of (no link though).

LAS VEGAS -- In the Bellagio Hotel to meet with Yankees brass on Sunday night, free-agent pitcher CC Sabathia ran into Dodgers general manager Ned Colletti and told him he wants to be a Dodger, Colletti said on Monday.

Colletti didn't reveal any more of the conversation, but he allowed there's "a possibility" that the Dodgers could enter the mix for the native Californian, who hasn't accepted a three-week-old offer from the Yankees of six years and $140 million.

THEBOSS84
Check out their ERA+'s and bb/9

justtxyank
I'm not sure how you can say this. Sheets has pitched to a level that Burnett has never even dreamed of. Sheets' best season makes Burnett's best season look like Ponson droppings.

In the NL Central.

NYYDragoon
12-08-08, 04:50 PM
In the NL Central.Wasn't Burnett in the NL longer than he was in the AL?

THEBOSS84
12-08-08, 04:50 PM
In the NL Central.

ERA+ adjusts for league and park and yet I think Sheets beats him 116 to 110 if I'm not mistaken. Burnett has also walked double the amount of men per 9 over their careers.

ZIM 2002
12-08-08, 04:56 PM
CC doesn't want to be a Yankee, Peavy doesn't want to pitch in the American League, Lowe wants to be a Red Sock, Burnett will probably be a Brave because of the fifth year...where are the days when players WANTED to come to the Yankees...:(

yanksphan
12-08-08, 04:58 PM
riveraveblues.com:

Just overheard two writers near me talking about Mark Teixeira: The Angels are ready to go to eight years for him, and $20M per year isnt even an issue. He also said the Beltway Teams (Nats and Os) are hard after him as well. There was also brief talk about the Halos wanting Justin Masterson from the Sox in exchange for Jeff Mathis or Mike Napoli.

Like I said, I overheard two media guys talking about this not more than 6 feet away from me. Just a rumor.

Snatch Catch
12-08-08, 05:02 PM
Check out their ERA+'s and bb/9

8.25 K/BB over 237 IP in 2004. That's just insanity.

His career K/BB is 3.85. He's a much better pitcher than Burnett if they're both healthy.

R.V.47
12-08-08, 05:20 PM
CC doesn't want to be a Yankee, Peavy doesn't want to pitch in the American League, Lowe wants to be a Red Sock, Burnett will probably be a Brave because of the fifth year...where are the days when players WANTED to come to the Yankees...:(

Can you blame them? They all probably think that theres a possibility they could become New Yorks new A-Rod or Randy Johnson.

I could definitly see CC going something like 15-8 with a 3.40 or 3.50 ERA and many writers calling it a failed season, like when Randy Johnson went 17-9 with a 3.79 on a team that barely made the playoffs.

Gusto
12-08-08, 05:26 PM
Can you blame them? They all probably think that theres a possibility they could become New Yorks new A-Rod or Randy Johnson.

I could definitly see CC going something like 15-8 with a 3.40 or 3.50 ERA and many writers calling it a failed season, like when Randy Johnson went 17-9 with a 3.79 on a team that barely made the playoffs.

You'd better duck ... I hear the meaningless stats police typing.

cyhughes22
12-08-08, 05:35 PM
SIGN MARK TEIXEIRA.

HughesIsNasty
12-08-08, 05:43 PM
We wont get anyone and too be honest I don't care. Signing C.C wont put us over the top. We need to rebuild.

yankeesrule2000
12-08-08, 05:43 PM
We wont get anyone and too be honest I don't care. Signing C.C wont put us over the top. We need to rebuild.

There is no way we are rebuilding when we are opening a brand new 1 billion dollar stadium..

Tifoso
12-08-08, 05:44 PM
There is no way we are rebuilding when we are opening a brand new 1 billion dollar stadium..

Exactly.

NYYDragoon
12-08-08, 05:46 PM
Can you blame them? They all probably think that theres a possibility they could become New Yorks new A-Rod or Randy Johnson.This is the sad reality of the situation. Some people don't care much for the self-hating media and fans.

YanksFan1992
12-08-08, 05:47 PM
MLB Trade Rumors:

Jerry Crasnick and Jayson Stark believe the Yankees want to meet with Burnett's agent, and may be willing to offer more guaranteed money than Atlanta did. The Braves apparently guaranteed $60MM over four years and added a vesting option. Burnett and Derek Lowe hope to wait until C.C. Sabathia signs.

Sabathia's meeting with Yankees officials lasted 2.5 hours yesterday, as he gathered information on the team and the city. He told the Yankees he's not delaying his decision due to a desire to pitch elsewhere; he just wants to gather the facts.

HughesIsNasty
12-08-08, 05:53 PM
By the looks of it, we arnt getting anyone.

If we get C.C, GREAT, but whos the 3rd, 4th, and 5th starters?

Burnetts going to Atlanta unless we offer 5 years...
Peavy doesn't wanna pitch here...
Lowe is likely going back to Boston and we don't wanna give 4/5 years...
Oliver Perez sucks...
Ben Sheets can't stay healthy...
Theres no one else on the trade market.
We can't rely on Hughes, Kennedy, Aceves, ect...

Not to mention, our offense is nothing SPECIAL.
Damon - Good player, old, but I expect a good year being this his walk year
Jeter - Good player, not great anymore, obviously declining
Rodriguez - Superstar, but needs a suporting cast.
Nady - Hard nose player, I like him a lot, but was 08 a fluke?
Swisher - Barley hit .210 last year, can we really count on him everyday?
Posada - Had a AMAZING, but realisticly speaking, we would be foolish to expect ANYTHING even close from that again.
Cano - Awful 08, came on late in the year and is hitting well this winter, I expect big things from Robbie.
Gardner - not proven.
Matsui - Bad knees, who knows what to expect

We make MAJOR flaws....however....

Signing C.C and Sheets on a 2 or 3 year deal if we can and signing Manny, yes, Manny will make us deadly. Manny ALONE can change the complexity of a lineup. Look what he did in LA. Manny behind Arod will help everyone in this lineup. We NEED Manny Ramirez. Hell give him 3 years 75 mil. I dont care. Get this guy.

YanksFan1992
12-08-08, 05:57 PM
Relax man, just relax.

It's all postering, every single report posted so far isn't entirely truthful, if it has any truth to it at all.

jonesey202
12-08-08, 06:08 PM
We NEED Manny Ramirez. Hell give him 3 years 75 mil. I dont care. Get this guy.

Where would he play? The only place I'd put him is DH. That means they'll need to trade Matsui because Damon will play left, Nady will be in right, and Gardner/Melk in center. Who's going to take Matsui and his bad Knee's?

I'd love to have Manny, but if I'm Brian Cashman, it doesn't make sense.

YanksFan1992
12-08-08, 06:15 PM
Brian Cashman just said he met again today with CC Sabathia. “We’re on his list,” Cashman said.

More to come.

UPDATE, 7:02 p.m.: Joe Girardi said he felt good about the meeting. Sabathia asked questions about the lifestyle in New York for his wife and kids, schools, etc. Cashman said he felt Sabathia was a genuine person and that his interest in the Yankees is legit.

Cashman said there is no deadline in terms if Sabathia. But he is continuing to talk with other pitchers. … There has been no offer to Mark Teixeira, Cashman said.

More to come including some audio. I have to get to another meeting.

http://yankees.lhblogs.com/2008/12/08/update-from-the-suite/

JavyVazquezIsSick
12-08-08, 06:16 PM
MLB Trade Rumors:

I mean, didn't we already offer 16m per for 4 years, and then a vesting option? Was that not a real offer?

Tifoso
12-08-08, 06:17 PM

So we get 3 SP's (CC + 2 others), and no Tex?

I could live with that. ;)

NYYDragoon
12-08-08, 06:17 PM
http://yankees.lhblogs.com/2008/12/08/update-from-the-suite/Sabathia's a good guy. Doesn't mean what he told Cashman is the whole truth.

(Yes, I have indeed turned into a pessimist on this whole thing.)

JavyVazquezIsSick
12-08-08, 06:18 PM

Thank God we are on Sabathia's list, I didn't think we were. Hard hitting reporting Pete.

BxBomber44
12-08-08, 06:18 PM
Drop CC

Sign Tex
Sign Sheets and/or AJ for w/e they want years wise

Trade Cano,Melky,Kennedy,$$$ to SD for Peavy, B level Prospect

Tifoso
12-08-08, 06:20 PM
Drop CC

Sign Tex
Sign Sheets and/or AJ for w/e they want years wise

Trade Cano,Melky,Kennedy,$$$ to SD for Peavy, B level Prospect

Wang
Peavy
AJ
Sheets
Joba

I could live with that, too :D

Yankees47
12-08-08, 06:20 PM
Where would he play? The only place I'd put him is DH. That means they'll need to trade Matsui because Damon will play left, Nady will be in right, and Gardner/Melk in center. Who's going to take Matsui and his bad Knee's?

I'd love to have Manny, but if I'm Brian Cashman, it doesn't make sense.\

All I hear Cashman say is it has to make sense for us to make the deal....What makes sense to Brian Cashman??? I agree with a previous poster...The Yankees need to rebuild and honestly not offering Arbitration to Abreu and Petitte was puzzles me to this day....And in answer to your question Matsui should burn his glove and resort to a full time DH....His days in the OF were over in 2007 and two knee surgeries later its time for him to just be a DH and focus on hitting....Damon in LF....Neither Gardner or Melky is a lock to even be a 4th OF for this team next year let alone start and Nady can play LF, RF or even 1B....

BxBomber44
12-08-08, 06:21 PM
& Manny if we don't get Tex

Trading Matsui,Aveces, and bullpen arm to LAD for Loney

YankeePride1967
12-08-08, 06:22 PM
We are not getting Peavy.

Matsui-San
12-08-08, 06:25 PM
Trading Matsui,Aveces, and bullpen arm to LAD for Loney
We'd have to do a lot better than that. Loney is one of the youngsters that the Dodgers actually like.

flymick24
12-08-08, 06:25 PM
We are not getting Peavy.

but cashman and towers are BFF

ICEBERG18
12-08-08, 06:28 PM
Yanks ready to top Braves' offer for Burnett

Posted by: Jon Heyman

LAS VEGAS -- The Yankees are prepared to top the Braves' reported $60 million four-year offer to star free-agent pitcher A.J. Burnett, according to people familiar with their thinking.

While the Yankees had been reluctant to give Burnett the full-fledged five-year deal he seeks,. they seem likely to offer a four-year deal for about $64 million. Burnett is being purused by the Jays, Orioles and Nationals as well.

http://www.fannation.com/si_blogs/hot_stove/posts/30383

yankeesrule2000
12-08-08, 06:29 PM

LAS VEGAS -- The Yankees are prepared to top the Braves' reported $60 million four-year offer to star free-agent pitcher A.J. Burnett, according to people familiar with their thinking.

While the Yankees had been reluctant to give Burnett the full-fledged five-year deal he seeks,. they seem likely to offer a four-year deal for about $64 million. Burnett is being purused by the Jays, Orioles and Nationals as well.

I wonder if this is happening because Cash really thinks CC's heart isnt in NY....And Burnett is plan B.

Yankees47
12-08-08, 06:32 PM

Big fan of this move if it goes down...I actually said 4 years 64 Mill should get it done a few weeks back....Get it done by tomorrow morning Cash

yankeesrule2000
12-08-08, 06:32 PM
Free-agent right-hander Ben Sheets arrived at the winter meetings Monday afternoon to meet with his agent, Casey Close. Sheets declined arbitration from the Brewers on Sunday night, presumably because Close is confident that the pitcher can land a multi-year deal.
"There's nothing out there for me to contemplate right now," Sheets said, "so I don't know."
The Yankees are one team possibly interested in Sheets, but he said, "I haven't even given it thought."
Asked if he might return to the Brewers, Sheets said, "Everything's possible. I never burn any bridges."
Sheets also said he is getting into a normal offseason program after rehabilitating the elbow injury that limited him at the end of the season. He went 13-9 with a 3.09 ERA in 198 1/3 innings pitched for Milwaukee in 2008.

sweet_lou_14
12-08-08, 06:36 PM
All speculation and no news makes Sweet Lou a dull boy.

flymick24
12-08-08, 06:44 PM
all speculation and no news makes flymick24's balls hurt

YanksFan1992
12-08-08, 06:46 PM
I wonder if this is happening because Cash really thinks CC's heart isnt in NY....And Burnett is plan B.

It seems pretty apparent that we want both of them, but seeing how Burnett was reportedly close to a deal with Atlanta, Cash could be trying to cover his options.

One thing gets me though, can someone please tell me what's the big difference between offering anyone (but Burnett in particular) a four year or a five year deal.

shadyridr
12-08-08, 06:50 PM

LMFAO

Id rather have the proven stud right now then wait 3 years in hopes that Kershaw pans out. How many f'in pitching prospects can we have?

justtxyank
12-08-08, 06:51 PM
I hope we make some sort of move during the Winter Meetings.

yankeesrule2000

So do I.

YanksFan1992

I'll settle for anyone making a move at this point.

THEBOSS84
12-08-08, 06:53 PM
Tradezzzz

YankeePride1967
12-08-08, 06:53 PM
I'll settle for anyone making a move at this point.

And this is the point people are forgetting.

YanksFan1992
12-08-08, 06:56 PM
And this is the point people are forgetting.

Exactly.

JavyVazquezIsSick
12-08-08, 06:59 PM
Loud noises...

YanksFan1992
12-08-08, 07:01 PM
http://yankees.lhblogs.com/2008/12/08/sabathia-battle-starting-to-heat-up/

CC Sabathia told Ned Colletti on Sunday night that he wanted to play for the Dodgers. But in the time since then, he asked for another meeting with the Yankees, which was held today. And Colletti has admitted that signing the left-hander is only “a possibility” and that no offer has been made.

All things being equal, it appears Sabathia would prefer to play on the West Coast. That only makes since given that he is from there, his family lives there and he has purchased land on which to build a home in Orange County.

But will all things be equal? The Yankees have the resources to make sure that is not the case.

THEBOSS84
12-08-08, 07:02 PM
The Yankees are are only being rumored to be interested in FA's so far. I'd like to see some rumors (even if they're BS!) of the Yankees making trades or whatever. I need some action.

JavyVazquezIsSick
12-08-08, 07:04 PM
I really hope not getting Sabathia means getting Tex, I'm just not so sure of that.

THEBOSS84
12-08-08, 07:06 PM
I really hope not getting Sabathia means getting Tex, I'm just not so sure of that.

Not so sure they'd go for him or not so sure they'd be able to sign him?

YanksFan1992
12-08-08, 07:06 PM

I feel the same. It sure would be interesting to see this place if that happens though.

http://disney-clipart.com/Chicken-Little/Disney-Chicken-Little-Sky-Falling.jpg

JavyVazquezIsSick
12-08-08, 07:09 PM
Not so sure they'd go for him or not so sure they'd be able to sign him?

I'm not so sure they'd go after him as aggressively as they have gone after CC. So I guess both.

It's CC or Tex or Bust/Amazing trades.

Ynkcpt23
12-08-08, 07:09 PM

Nothing's certain of course, but I think that if CC makes a ridiculously poor financial move that we will be more than motivated to close on Teixeira as quickly as possible. The only issue with this line of thought is if we get into a bidding war with Boston, this could get out of control in a hurry. I have no problem with seven years for Teixeira, but if you go beyond that it gets dicey in a big way.

Ynkcpt23
12-08-08, 07:10 PM
I'm not so sure they'd go after him as aggressively as they have gone after CC. So I guess both.

I can't speak for their fallback plans, but they would be beyond foolish to not aggressively pursue Tex with all they have, esp. if CC is (hypothetically) off the market.

THEBOSS84
12-08-08, 07:11 PM

It's CC or Tex or Bust/Amazing trades.

If the Yankees want CC, they'll get him. He's the all about the money player.

JL25and3
12-08-08, 07:11 PM
Nothing's certain of course, but I think that if CC makes a ridiculously poor financial move that we will be more than motivated to close on Teixeira as quickly as possible. The only issue with this line of thought is if we get into a bidding war with Boston, this could get out of control in a hurry. I have no problem with seven years for Teixeira, but if you go beyond that it gets dicey in a big way.I'm not sure I'd call $100M "a ridiculously poor financial move."

JavyVazquezIsSick
12-08-08, 07:12 PM
If the Yankees want CC, they'll get him. He's the all about the money player.

You meant Tex, right? Even so, not so sure about those reports (that he is A-Rod).

frostdude1
12-08-08, 07:14 PM
I can't believe im saying this but, sign Ben Sheets!!

THEBOSS84
12-08-08, 07:16 PM
You meant Tex, right? Even so, not so sure about those reports (that he is A-Rod).

Yeah I meant Tex. I totally believe he's about the money. Not only that, he has no ties to any teams. He's from the East Coast so I don't buy into his two months in LA so much.

ppa79
12-08-08, 07:17 PM
If we can't get CC, then no one will get him.

Ynkcpt23
12-08-08, 07:17 PM
I'm not sure I'd call $100M "a ridiculously poor financial move."

Not being uber-wealthy myself, I understand what you mean. However, a 28 year old pitcher widely believed to be the bluest of the blue chips available in his prime, coming off of a truly heroic effort at the end of a regular season that led a notoriously bad team to the playoffs? Umm, I would think even with this economy he's earned the right to get very well paid, not just paid.

Ynkcpt23
12-08-08, 07:18 PM
Yeah I meant Tex. I totally believe he's about the money. Not only that, he has no ties to any teams. He's from the East Coast so I don't buy into his two months in LA so much.

I'm not sure that his comments about the Angels were BS, he really seemed to enjoy his experience. Then again, he didn't have anything bad to say about the Braves either. That being said, I hope you're right!

THEBOSS84
12-08-08, 07:20 PM
I'm not sure that his comments about the Angels were BS, he really seemed to enjoy his experience. Then again, he didn't have anything bad to say about the Braves either. That being said, I hope you're right!

I just can't see him turning the biggest offer.

Ynkcpt23
12-08-08, 07:21 PM
I just can't see him turning the biggest offer.

I would have said the same about Sabathia prior to this offseason. Now I'm hoping I was right in the first place.

Tifoso
12-08-08, 07:22 PM
Not being uber-wealthy myself, I understand what you mean. However, a 28 year old pitcher widely believed to be the bluest of the blue chips available in his prime, coming off of a truly heroic effort at the end of a regular season that led a notoriously bad team to the playoffs? Umm, I would think even with this economy he's earned the right to get very well paid, not just paid.

Your.......sig........rocks:)

YanksFan1992
12-08-08, 07:23 PM
MLBTR:

7:13pm: Per Sherman, the Yanks met with Sheets today.

THEBOSS84
12-08-08, 07:25 PM
MLBTR:

That;s funny considering Sheets was quoted as saying the Yankees haven't even crossed his mind earlier today.

frostdude1
12-08-08, 07:25 PM
7:13pm: Per Sherman, the Yanks met with Sheets today.

Sweet !!!

YanksFan1992
12-08-08, 07:35 PM
MLBTR:

Dan Graziano says Sabathia requested both Yankees meetings, the second of which took place at the pitcher's room at the Wynn. Sabathia's left Vegas, and didn't give the Yanks a timetable.

And a new rumor, wahoo!!! :lol:

The Yankees are looking for a utility infielder, and Brian Cashman said today Punto is on their radar.

NYYDragoon
12-08-08, 07:36 PM
That;s funny considering Sheets was quoted as saying the Yankees haven't even crossed his mind earlier today.We don't have a timestamp on that, though.

Nick Punto? Meh...

YanksFan1992
12-08-08, 07:37 PM
We don't have a timestamp on that, though.

Nick Punto? Meh...

Most of the things players and agents say is postering, so I don't take much consideration into it.

YanksFan1992
12-08-08, 07:38 PM
http://yankees.lhblogs.com/2008/12/08/cashman-cano-is-our-second-baseman/

CC Sabathia wasn’t the only topic when we met with Brian Cashman.

He believes Robinson Cano will be the Opening Day second baseman. He cautioned against looking at one season and making hasty decisions. Cano, he said, is the same player the Yankees decided to give a long-term contract to last year.

Cashman also said it would take a lot for him to trade Phil Hughes or Ian Kennedy.

Tifoso
12-08-08, 07:39 PM
http://yankees.lhblogs.com/2008/12/08/cashman-cano-is-our-second-baseman/

Expect 2 olut of 3 to be gone, then ;)

YanksFan1992
12-08-08, 07:46 PM
http://yankees.lhblogs.com/2008/12/08/no-meeting-schedule-regarding-pettitte/

Brian Cashman does not have any meetings set up this week with the Hendricks Brothers, who represent Andy Pettitte. “But we certainly could meet,” he said.

Cashman said he would like to have Pettitte back and hopes a deal can be struck.

Cashman said his “preferred route” to find starting pitchers is free agency. He said that in terms of starters, the trade market is very quiet as far as the Yankees are concerned.

JL25and3
12-08-08, 07:56 PM
Not being uber-wealthy myself, I understand what you mean. However, a 28 year old pitcher widely believed to be the bluest of the blue chips available in his prime, coming off of a truly heroic effort at the end of a regular season that led a notoriously bad team to the playoffs? Umm, I would think even with this economy he's earned the right to get very well paid, not just paid.I'd put it the other way. Not being uber-wealthy ourselves, the idea of turning down $40M (or, probably, less than that) is unthinkable. But he could reasonably decide that the first $100M will make him and his family stupendously wealthy, at which point he can start to consider other factors as well.

YanksFan1992
12-08-08, 08:13 PM
MLBTR:

Rosenthal and Ed Price say the Lamb signing could prompt the Brewers to trade Bill Hall. Hall interests the Yankees, but he has almost $16MM left on his deal. Rosenthal notes that Yankees targets Hall and Mike Cameron are friends of C.C. Sabathia.

THEBOSS84
12-08-08, 08:14 PM
8:44 p.m. — Brewers ready to trade Hall?

The Brewers were close to re-signing third baseman Mike Lamb on Monday, a move that could lead to a trade of Bill Hall.

The Yankees are among the teams that have expressed interest in Hall, who could fill a utility role in both the infield and outfield for New York.

However, Hall's remaining salary — $6.8 million in 2009 and $8.4 million in 2010 with a $9.25 million or $500,000 buyout for 11 — would be a significant obstacle to any deal.

The Yankees also have interest in Brewers center fielder Mike Cameron, who — like Hall — is close friends with the team's principal free- agent target, left-hander CC Sabathia. Hall and Sabathia attended the Oscar De La Hoya fight Saturday in Las Vegas.

Lamb will rejoin the Brewers at the minimum salary, with his previous team, the Twins, paying the rest of the $3 million that he is owed in 2009. Lamb and Hall could form a left-right platoon at third for the Brewers if no trade is made. -- Ken Rosenthal and Ed Price

No thanks on Hall...

HughesIsNasty
12-08-08, 08:14 PM
What would we give for either?

THEBOSS84
12-08-08, 08:18 PM
What would we give for either?

I wouldn't want Hall for free.

HughesIsNasty
12-08-08, 08:19 PM
Hmmm looking at Hall's splits it interesting.

.306 BA in 157 ABs. vs Lefties.

He could be a SUPER Utility man. Plus we need some help hitting lefties. Might not be so bad...oh and BTW he's best friends with C.C

THEBOSS84
12-08-08, 08:22 PM
Is a super utility player worth $16M over two years AND the players traded for him?

HughesIsNasty
12-08-08, 08:25 PM
If it means getting C.C Sabathia, sure.

Realisticly, we won't have to deal much for him at all. Maybe a C prospect...who knows, maybe we'll get compansation for taking him.

smckdwn989
12-08-08, 08:29 PM
i think he can play center, can anyone confirm his range/arm?

THEBOSS84
12-08-08, 08:31 PM
i think he can play center, can anyone confirm his range/arm?

No but I can confirm his OPS+ in 2007 was 89 and in 2008 was 79.

smckdwn989
12-08-08, 08:32 PM
No but I can confirm his OPS+ in 2007 was 89 and in 2008 was 79.

i remember him having a really solid year, i guess it was 2006... no thanks to hall

THEBOSS84
12-08-08, 08:33 PM
i remember him having a really solid year, i guess it was 2006... no thanks to hall

Career high OPS+ of 125 that season.

teknetic
12-08-08, 08:33 PM
Kevin Mench.

HughesIsNasty
12-08-08, 08:39 PM
Kevin Mench.

What?

YankeePride1967
12-08-08, 08:41 PM
Bob Hamelin.

smckdwn989
12-08-08, 08:42 PM
Greg "The Hammer" Valentine

YankeePride1967
12-08-08, 08:44 PM
Bobby Valentine.

Mark19
12-08-08, 08:45 PM
I would do Igawa for Hall straight up

YanksFan1992
12-08-08, 08:47 PM

I'd drive Igawa to the airport.

ICEBERG18
12-08-08, 08:49 PM
http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseball/yankees/ny-spwebyanks1208,0,4233783.story

shadyridr
12-08-08, 09:01 PM

As crazy as that sounds, that deal makes some sense for MIL too. They save some money and trade a backup for a starting pitcher.

NYYFutures17
12-08-08, 09:25 PM
Kevin Mench.

He was sold to a Japanese team this offseason just like Rasner was

TheScooter
12-08-08, 09:33 PM
Is a super utility player worth $16M over two years AND the players traded for him?

From the same organization which was afraid to offer salary arbitration to their own players;)

Mark19
12-08-08, 09:35 PM
As crazy as that sounds, that deal makes some sense for MIL too. They save some money and trade a backup for a starting pitcher.

Heck, he might even be a respectable pitcher in the NL Central. We could do them one better and send them Chris Britton for Chris Capuano. Toss a mediocre RHRP we'll never use for a recovering lefty starter with actual potential.

BxBomber44
12-08-08, 09:36 PM
Heck, he might even be a respectable pitcher in the NL Central. We could do them one better and send them Chris Britton for Chris Capuano. Toss a mediocre RHRP we'll never use for a recovering lefty starter with actual potential.

& then hopefully take their 1,2 starters from last year

TheScooter
12-08-08, 09:36 PM
MLBTR:

http://www.nypost.com/php/pfriendly/print.php?url=http://www.nypost.com/seven/12082008/sports/yankees/yankees_meet_with_ben_sheets_143256.htm

BxBomber44
12-08-08, 09:40 PM
CC, Sheets, AJ realistic at this point? What kind of contracts are they requiring?

6/140
4/64
any idea on sheets?

Iknowcool
12-08-08, 09:44 PM
Hall hits lefties very well for his career. If the price isn't too high and Milwaulkee is willing to eat some salary/take salary back in return, it wouldn't be a bad move to shore up our bench.

justinvarnes
12-08-08, 09:45 PM
Greg "The Hammer" Valentine

Excellent.

gadvfreak99
12-08-08, 09:51 PM
We should offer Sheetz, Texiera, Burnett and Lowe before meetings ends. Atleast they will offer a huge offer to Burnett.

TheScooter
12-08-08, 09:54 PM
Cashman on Robinson Cano (javascript:fantasyPopup('baseball', 7497)): "We plan on having Robby as our second baseman. ... It doesn't mean he can't get traded."

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=495069

DaSh 1s
12-08-08, 09:56 PM
Bobcat: You believe what you are suppose to believe

Roberto Kelly
12-08-08, 09:58 PM
We should offer Sheetz, Texiera, Burnett and Lowe before meetings ends. Atleast they will offer a huge offer to Burnett.

:dunno:

YanksFan1992
12-08-08, 10:02 PM
MLBTR:

Jerry Crasnick says the Red Sox met with Braunecker today and are "right there in the mix with Atlanta and the Yankees for Burnett."

Yankees1962
12-08-08, 10:03 PM
Cashman met with Sheets this afternoon.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/12082008/sports/yankees/yankees_meet_with_ben_sheets_143256.htm

smckdwn989
12-08-08, 10:03 PM
9:57pm: Jerry Crasnick says (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/print?id=3755990&type=blogEntry) the Red Sox met with Braunecker today and are "right there in the mix with Atlanta and the Yankees for Burnett."

interesting..

boo i was beat to the punch

Roberto Kelly
12-08-08, 10:04 PM
MLBTR:

Cashman could take a dump and in 3 seconds there would be a story out that epstein was there to count the tirds.

NYYDragoon
12-08-08, 10:15 PM
Cashman could take a dump and in 3 seconds there would be a story out that epstein was there to count the tirds.Wow. I laughed.

smckdwn989
12-08-08, 10:16 PM
Wow. I laughed.
i laughed because it's totally true.

YanksFan1992
12-08-08, 10:16 PM
:roflmao:

http://yankees.lhblogs.com/2008/12/08/inside-the-war-room/

Meanwhile, wise-guy Cashman planted a remote-controlled whoopie cushion under one of the chairs (yes, it was mine) and tried to prank us. I honestly didn’t hear the noise, but he was having a good old time with it.

yankeesrule2000
12-08-08, 10:17 PM

LOL..

smckdwn989
12-08-08, 10:20 PM

he didn't hear the noises because those are normal bodily noises coming from big pete.

Roberto Kelly
12-08-08, 10:23 PM
this thread is about to take a turn for the worse

YanksFan1992
12-08-08, 10:24 PM
this thread is about to take a turn for the worse

Why's that?

TheScooter
12-08-08, 10:58 PM
2 years/$30 million for Sheets

According to a source, the Yankees will offer Ben Sheets (http://www.nydailynews.com/topics/Ben+Sheets) a multiyear deal - most likely for two years in the $30 million range - before the winter meetings conclude on Thursday.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/2008/12/08/2008-12-08_yankees_brewin_up_multiyear_offer_for_fr.html

yankeesrule2000
12-08-08, 11:01 PM

According to a source, the Yankees will offer Ben Sheets (http://www.nydailynews.com/topics/Ben+Sheets) a multiyear deal - most likely for two years in the $30 million range - before the winter meetings conclude on Thursday.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/2008/12/08/2008-12-08_yankees_brewin_up_multiyear_offer_for_fr.html

That's a little pricey....I was thinking more like 3/36!

JeterForPresident
12-08-08, 11:02 PM

So offers to CC, Burnett, and Sheets? Unless one of those isn't happening than it would be fairly safe to assume that Tex is probably out as is Pettitte.

I'd love Tex but I could understand not going overboard and signing him too, but I hope the team isn't assuming that Posada, Cano, A-Rod, Jeter, Matsui, and even Swisher for that matter are all going to turn it up and put up considerably better numbers then they did last year.

NYYDragoon
12-08-08, 11:03 PM
I'd love Tex but I could understand not going overboard and signing him too, but I hope the team isn't assuming that Posada, Cano, A-Rod, Jeter, Matsui, and even Swisher for that matter are all going to turn it up and put up considerably better numbers then they did last year.They won't need to with a stable and solid rotation.

TheScooter
12-08-08, 11:05 PM
I think Cashman has a very good read on Sabathia that he is trying to be proactive in these negotiations. I also think that Sabathia requested two separate meetings with the Yankees because they have by far the highest offer -- six years for $140 million -- and he's trying to reconcile in his mind if he could tolerate pitching in New York.

Sabathia is known to be waiting for an acceptable offer by a California team. But, if one doesn't come, he's not going to leave a bundle of money on the table. He'll have to go to New York, which is why he is doing his due dilligence with the Yankees right now.

He wouldn't have requested two face-to-face meetings with the Yankees if he wasn't seriously considering going to New York. We can talk about Sabathia being a different guy and all of that, but if it comes down to a tremendous difference in money, he's going to have a difficult time saying no to the Yankees.

The Brewers will probably toss out some new ideas beyond their original five-year, $100 million offer when they meet again later in the week with Sabathia's agents. But there's no way they're going to be able to offer him $140 million, or anything close to that.

And you can bet the Yankees would go higher if they had to. That's how badly they want Sabathia

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/35777624.html

YanksFan1992
12-08-08, 11:06 PM

I love it; thank you Cashman.

teknetic
12-08-08, 11:07 PM
He was sold to a Japanese team this offseason just like Rasner was

That I didn't know.

THEBOSS84
12-08-08, 11:08 PM
I highly doubt they'd sign BOTH Burnett and Sheets. It's one or the other along CC and Pettitte. We need it to be Sheets.

yankeesrule2000
12-08-08, 11:12 PM
So then your still looking at

Sabathia
Wang
Chamberlin
Pettitte
Sheets...

Metroidman
12-08-08, 11:13 PM
No

Sabathia
Wang
Sheets
Andy
Joba

ShaneTravis
12-08-08, 11:15 PM
So then your still looking at

Sabathia
Wang
Chamberlin
Pettitte
Sheets...

With Hughes,IPK,Aceves,Horn,Coke or maybe the Yanks drop some cash on a Mulder type and let him take time coming back from rehab...as 6th,7th and so on.

I would sign up for above starting 5 in a heartbeat.

metalboy15
12-08-08, 11:17 PM

Sexy....

Zimmers' Helmet
I highly doubt they'd sign BOTH Burnett and Sheets. It's one or the other along CC and Pettitte. We need it to be Sheets.

I totally agree. Signing Sheets to the reported two year deal allows the Yankees enough flexibility to actually make a serious run at Teixeira if they decide to go in that direction.

I'm not so sure that they would consider it if they have to commit to Burnett for 4-5 years.

DaSh 1s
With Hughes,IPK,Aceves,Horn,Coke or maybe the Yanks drop some cash on Mulder type and let him take time coming back from rehab...as 6th,7th and so on.

I would sign up for above starting 5 in a heartbeat.

:( :eek: :-hide-:

ShaneTravis
12-08-08, 11:21 PM
:( :eek: :-hide-:

As a Jon Leiber type deal. Mulder, Garcia, Benson...

Heck, last year we gave Milton a minor league job. There will be arms out there that will require very little money that you can stick in minors and hope for best.

Boston did it a few years ago with the guy from Astro's. Blanking on name.

GMVP
12-08-08, 11:23 PM
As a Jon Leiber type deal. Mulder, Garcia, Benson...

Heck, last year we gave Milton a minor league job. There will be arms out there that will require very little money that you can stick in minors and hope for best.

Boston did it a few years ago with the guy from Astro's. Blanking on name.

Wade Miller.

TheScooter
12-08-08, 11:24 PM
Brad Penny for a Lieber type deal

Between Joba,Sheets and Penny,Hughes and IPK will receive their starts in 2009

ShaneTravis
12-08-08, 11:26 PM
Wade Miller.

Cheers

NYYDragoon
12-08-08, 11:30 PM
Is anyone else amused by the fact that MLB.com itself is the worst source for Hot Stove info? They're always like hours behind.

Gusto
12-08-08, 11:45 PM
Is anyone else amused by the fact that MLB.com itself is the worst source for Hot Stove info? They're always like hours behind.

Quality censorship takes time.